AVImark Reviews

User ratings

4.1

• Likelihood to recommend7.71/10

See full reviews by rating

Pros

Cons

I love how responsive the developers are to suggestions for improvements. Support is awesome, and support hours are good - basically, they are there when we need them.
What I appreciate the most is the ability for new team members to learn the software quickly and the ease of which you can obtain the data needed.
The area code of the phone numbers disappear after entering a zipcode. It's a small error, but one that frequently causes our clinic to have incomplete phone numbers for clients.
You can do repeat block offs on a different day, but not on the same day. I can think of similar small but annoying omissions in the security, medical records, and inventory.

AVImark users...

+ 3

IntraVet

DVMAX Practice-logocaret

DVMAX Practice

How would you rate AVImark?

GM

Gail M.

Practice Manager

Veterinary, 11-50 employees

AVImark at work

Transcript

Gail M: Hi, my name is Gail, and I'm the practice manager for Veterinary Animal Care Clinic, and I give...

Easy to use, but not everything is sufficient

Transcript

Ajethan: Hi, my name is Ajethan. I'm an office manager. I give AVImark a five out of five. And for more...

AVImark 10 year user

VCPR

Pros

The ease and multiple ways to do things.

Cons

Paying for support and having to write some of the reports I need.

Thanks for being a great customer and for sharing your feedback with us.

Avimark - love, but no hate

Overall we are very happy with Avimark. tech support leaves something to be desired. We spend $100 to have tech support available & are often treated like we are bothering the technicians when we call - often have to call 4-5 times to get a proper answer.

Pros

Easy to use - very intuitive. Windows based.

Cons

Some very obvious defects: When you change a date in 1 patient's file, every other code for the rest of the day goes under that previous date - should default to current date when you switch to another patient's file. When one doctor is working on a patient & we go to another terminal, we have to select the doctor again - should default to the doctor who had already entered items that day .

Thanks for being a great customer and for sharing your feedback with us.

Does not play well with others

a necessary evil until we can find a better solution. There are worse products out there.

Pros

Phone support is good most of the time, most agents are able to quickly walk you through something even when it should be easy, but isn't.

Cons

Avimark does not play well with most other platforms. Integration between Zoetis Labs is a nightmare, and pretty much any product that is not manufactured by Covetrus.

Avimark User 30+ Years

Overall I feel that Avimark is a great program. It's ease of use is good. Beginners can pick up the basics easily. There are a lot of things that the system can do that many are not aware of. The ease of integration from one program to Avimark was pretty seamless.

Pros

Easily teachable. Easy integration. User friendly.

Cons

Not as easy to get "New" features added when suggested. I would like to see the online academy become part of the program as "basic" meaning I think that you would have way more practices wanting to have the system if this was available as a no charge portion of the system. Practices are constantly adding more staff, and the cost associated with the academy are not very cost effective for a practice to have year round. If this price was embedded in the purchase price and maybe just a minimal annual fee would be much easier for practices to want to continue this service.

Easy to learn, easy to use

Overall, I like Avimark much more than some of the other programs I've worked with. It also integrates with IDEXX and with Antech.

Pros

This program is very easy to convert to. My entire staff was able to function within a week of installing.

Cons

The inventory program is little limited compared to some other programs. Quantity discounts could use improvement.

Avimark is user-friendly and effective

Pros

Avimark is quite easy to pick up on even for newer users. The scheduling and record-keeping areas integrate well. When working properly, it is very efficient.

Cons

Quite often we have glitches and error codes when using the software. Sometimes when contacting Avimark support, the technical support people are unsure how to help.

Very customizable and user friendly - once you get past the learning curve!

Overall it’s excellent. There are sometimes bugs with it (like suddenly not finding any pet named Bella, so you have to rebuild indexes) but for the most part, it works great. It is usually speedy, and it can do some really neat, helpful things.

Pros

All the information you need is in front of you - client, pet, reminders. And it is easy to make it do some really cool things, such as packages, creative reminders, documents attached to treatments or diagnoses, etc.

Cons

We switched to this software from Cornerstone, and that was one of the most difficult times in memory. I am very good with software, and it took me three weeks to feel comfortable with it. Some less proficient folks complained for more than a year! Six years later, and I still occasionally find things it will do that I didn’t know about.

Good but can improve

Overall experience is Love Hate. I appreciate the updates (though not automatic enough) but many of the CSRs need to communicate better or know "business" better. Overall grade would be B-/C+ but certain feature can get actually attain a solid A.

Pros

AVImark software has really thought about it all! So much is available amongst its many features. Integration with online pharmacies, credit card processing, credit providers (e.g., Care Credit et al) reminders, and some collection agencies (among just a few examples of many outside organization types) is excellent once correctly installed.

Cons

The software can certainly be improved. Start with design--forms from the 90s were good in the 90s but not today. There's nowhere to add additional notes with regard to client information, for example and pop up alerts show fine in one instance but not in others; no rhyme or reason. Verification from one screen to another isn't always thought through and getting features that easily exist in Cornerstone,...

Avimark - the arranged marriage that you're stuck with

Calling in to regular tech support (for which I pay a monthly fee) is rarely rewarding. They only have the pat answers and protocols that they know to do for different error codes. I do have a relationship with one of the senior technicians and try to schedule with her to actually troubleshoot our problems.

Pros

I can take a version into the field, then bring it back to sync with the server. I run a housecall practice.

Cons

The mobile (Sidekick) feature appears to be an afterthought. It is not well designed and there are numerous glitches with trying to get it to be as robust a program as we need. I have spoken with higher level technicians about this and they agree that the features we need would be great to have, but they don't yet exist and they put in requests for software updates, but I have no reason to expect that these will ever actually happen.

Thanks for sharing your feedback with us. We will provide this information to our product team for review.

AVImark

Good

Pros

Patient processing/invoicing was easy to use

Cons

Inventory module was a bit clunky with certain features.

Thorough program for all veterinary needs

Over the past 6 years of using this program our veterinary clinic has grown, and this software has expanded with us. Originally we only had a handful of computers, where as now we have almost 30 running the medical program. I love the ease of use, for our staff, which helped to improve efficiency. Our staff, can room a client, the doctor can see the patient medical records and put in charges in the room, and we can finalize and check out the client in the room. It has made the process easy to have the client in one space, with no confusion.

Pros

AVImark has helped our veterinary clinic by being able to create reports for statistics, keep in contact with our clients, and have thorough records. We have our in-house labs all where they 'talk' to AVImark, which is helpful for our doctors when talking with clients. When looking for a particular answer to a question, such as how many exotic pets did we see this year, or what doctor sees the most patients in a particular zip code, we can create a report for those answers. Over the past 6 years of using this program, there has only been a handful of reports that I could not create, which is spectacular for a numbers person! We have data at the tip of our fingers at any given point.

Cons

The integration and transfer of data from AVImark into Quickbooks can be a challenge at times. There are some payment forms that do not transfer out 'clean' into a Quickbooks file, that requires a little work on the back end, like care credit payments. In addition, we implemented AVImark originally for the improvement of our inventory, and set up an entire system with barcode. Although you can sell product like a typical point-of-sale system with the barcode scanner, on the Receiving-end you cannot receive inventory by utilizing a barcode, which still leaves room for errors.

Avimark from a bookkeeping point of view

We have been operating with the system since 2006 and have never regretted the decision. We have added many software partners such as Rapport which has saved our staff so much time in reminders and follow ups as well as upgrading our communications. We are only limited by our own time and availability to use what is already available within the software.

Pros

The reporting capabilities of Avimark are endless. If there is a report your require it can be developed in the search fields. The standard reports are very adequate for reporting daily sales, doctor's revenue reporting, as well as tracking your revenue streams. Year end reports for inventory and annual sales are easily produced. The accounts receivables are always current and produce billing within the software. The capabilities of the software are actually only limited by the curiosity and capabilities of the people using it.

Cons

One of the features that is lacking or does not integrate well in Canada is the point of purchase providers. Due to the fact it is an American product the reporting and reconciliation experience I had when using their integrated POP was not successful. There are so many options for how you can use the medical condition but it has unlimited potential if the doctors have the time to set it up. It does take time to input but having said that once it is set up it is a huge time saver and it allows you to put in your preferred set of protocols.

22+ year user

Over all I have been very happy with Avimark operation. I was an early user in the DOS days and have continued to recommend it to other practices. I am concerned with Avimarks long term survival because of the coding limitations and that Covetrus has other PMS that compete against it. I'm not sure that Covetrus gives Avimark needs a priority and we feel we've seen a decrease in levels of support when they took over.

Pros

Avimark has been one of the most user friendly PMS I've worked with (worked with four other platforms). The ability to merge info from the PMS to a MSWORD document makes it so that all of the documents we sent out look clean and well formatted. Having all the information on one display is nice. Ability to search for a service or product by enter parts of it in the description is a handy search feature. The...

Cons

The difficulty for the program to evolve because of its coding is disappointing. It's network dependence and hiccups that happen on wifi is disappointing. Inability to attach documents other than doc files to treatments/inventory is less than ideal when many of the handouts we have are pdfs. With one of the most recent reminder upgrades the ability to modify them has been restricted.

Avimark is gold standard

We use Avimark for daily transactions , histories and records, information search. It has some things I would like better, but all in all it is quite functional and relatively easy to use.

Pros

Avimark is a time proven software for the veterinary industry. It is quite functional for the industry, whether a small or large clinic, few employees or many.

Cons

I don't like the information search. I don't consider it user friendly. I am also not in favor of the new Avimark Guardian and having to do a backup through that program instead of within Avimark. For me, about half the time, I am having to restart the computer because the process disconnects the database. I routinely use Quickbooks and I think they are perhaps the most user friendly for information...

User friendly but needs a bit more optimization/customization capabilities

Overall we have had a decent experience with AVImark. AVImark support has always been polite, though occasionally some have said certain things cannot be done that we are later told can be done from another team member. The staff are always polite though and we appreciate their assistance. The program, though it still has its faults, is user friendly and certainly has a lot of potential.

Pros

It is user friendly in most aspects compared to other software programs I have used in veterinary practices.

Cons

There are a few features that my staff and doctors over the years of using it have brought to my attention. One of the biggest issues is the medical condition and how it is viewed in the patient's chart. The fact that there isn't a way to easily view the doctors' notes from the most recent visits has led us to not yet convert to being paper lite. With paper records a doctor can quickly glance at the...

Solid system, but definitely a little behind in features

As a mixed animal hospital, Avimark seems to be more superior for large animal use/features than competing systems. It also is a super easy to use system despite lacking in some truly beneficial features.

Pros

-Best system for equine/large animal practices. -Easy for employees to learn/use as system is fairly basic. -Tech support is fast and knowledgeable.

Cons

-One of the biggest ways we recognize clients are by their pets. Highly disappointing that the appointment calendar only displays Client name, patient name, abbreviation for species and reason for visit. It would be optimal for it to display the Breed as that allows the receptionist to quickly know who the client is who is checking in. -Measurements in inventory only go out 2 decimal points - needs...

Great! User Friendly!

It is great. I can have just one program for appointments and client data for grooming, pet sitting and dog walking.

Pros

How it logs the pets and the owners names. Easy to access and log in data of sales and appointments.

Cons

It is a bit much as price goes. Although you get what you pay for. I was able to have all the services I have in just one program.

Thank you for your review, Ericka. It's great to see a unique business perspective. If you ever have any questions, do not hesitate to reach out!

AVIMARK FAN

I mostly enjoy not having to daily trouble shoot avimark as we did with our former software company. I also like not having paper files- (buying the supplies, making the files, filing the files, finding the files when they were mis filed, etc...)

Pros

We switched to avimark several years ago. I was reluctant because of the fear of training 20 employees but fortunately at the time we had several employees who were familiar with the soft ware and the transition wasnt as difficult as Ii was expecting. We are paper lite and enjoy having all our medical notes, attachments and lab results imported into the software. We have off site back up so no worry about losing all our data with computer crash.

Cons

We have had times where support is busy and can't help us resolve an issue immediately.

Avimark pros and cons

Overall I have been happy with Avimark but recent lapses in service have been concerning.

Pros

Cost and ease of use. We utilize many functions and have been paperless for about 10 years. Customer support is usually good. Started using Rapport recently also for text and email reminders.

Cons

There have been several episodes lately where the software goes down and we can’t get into Avimark for work. Recently had to restore from a backup to get it to work. It seems these problems are getting worse. Computer searches are also more difficult than they should be.

Thank you for your feedback, Dr. Mawhorter! We're happy to have you as a loyal customer for the last 10 years and I hope you are enjoying your Rapport subscription. The episodes with AVImark going down is very concerning to us as well. Our team thoroughly investigates every outage to determine root-cause and finds resolutions to avoid additional downtime. I'll send over your feedback on computer searches to ensure this is reviewed for future enhancements. If you ever have questions or additional feedback, please don't hesitate to reach us at US-CGSS_Solutions@Covetrus.com. All the best!

User friendly but thorough

We were able to become paperless and do away with paper charts.

Pros

It is very easy to use. It is windows based therefore it is easy to train new people to use. There are multiple ways to search for client/patient info. Reports are easy to run. White board makes keeping track of patients and patient plans easy. Entering line items is easy and you can enter inventory in thto the line item. When scheduling, you can change colors to help keep track of appointment types. You can create canned notes in the glossary to make note keeping easy. It is easy to create canned estimates and post them into the chart. Employees have to sign in therefore you have a trail to keep track of who has done what. You can create word documents and have the client/patient information autofilled which makes discharge instructions easy.

Cons

The customer service is not as available and user friendly as they could be. Fortunately we don't have to call very often. The only con in regards to software, is that you cannot time stamp the posting time to know when a client checked out.

Thanks for your feedback and review, TinaZa! We agree with the multitude of ways you listed that makes AVImark easy to use and customizable to your practice. We're happy to hear you and your team are benefiting from the flexibility of our system. We're always working to improve everything from the solutions we offer to the Teams you speak with when you're in need of Support. We appreciate you raising both the positives and negatives of your experience with us. If you ever have additional questions, concerns, or would like more information on how we can help optimize our solutions for your business, let us know. Email us at HSVS.Solutions@HenryScheinVet.com.

Used it since it was DOS based in the early '90's

I miss it so much every day I make my new boss mad I repeatedly tell her, we are switching, it is a matter of WHEN.

Pros

Most cost effective software to buy. If you price out the annual support fees it will pay for itself in 5 years over Cornerstone. (I keep pushing for it at my new office) FEATURE RICH. Requires thorough reading of the manual to truly see all the features and I suggest going to different paperless offices to see how folks use all the features. Best features I miss now that I have been at a Cornerstone...

Cons

Need a really smart IT professional to set it up right. I managed the LAN for 2-3 years on my own and it gave me problems, because I am NOT a professional. Once we got someone in that KNEW their stuff (an IBM network problem solver for over a decade) we got a LINUX server and had 16 systems with a huge monitor white board. Never went down, rarely had problems, but a good IT guy needs to be figured...

Thank you, Kathleen, for your review. We hope you get to join the AVImark family of users again!

Overall AVImark is a good program to run. There will never be a program that fits all the needs of every vet hospital out there but they give it a good try.

Pros

We have had AVImark for 15 + years. It is very user friendly for everyday uses. It is easy to move between different screens. We did not have any trouble moving our data from the previous program that we had.

Cons

We have a boarding area and the boarding scheduler could be improved. You cannot make boarding chart documents using the data in Avimark it all has to be written out by hand. Trying to make searches for data is complicated so I usually have to call into customer support for those. Most of the time they are very helpful in getting these set up, other times it take a while even for them to get the right search parameters set.

AVImark needs an overhaul

Overall I've been underwhelmed with AVImark from the sale to implementation to support. If we didn't spend so much money on the hardware and software in the beginning of ownership we would have switched systems by now. I'm riding out the time until our server is near death before switching. Speaking of servers, we were sold an outdated server by [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN]. And when our IT people noticed this issue I contacted Covetrus (formerly HS) and they said the sales rep had left, it was a different company then, and there was nothing they could do about it. Poor, poor service.

Pros

Inventory management is great if the time is taken to set up properly. The appointment calendar is useful. Worklists keep the staff together. There are a lot of useful aspects of the software but there are a lot of hoops to jump through to get there.

Cons

There are too many windows and options to click through before a change is effected. The fear of running updates because you will lose information or capabilities is real.

Easy to use Avimark

Overall our clinic is very happy with how easy it is to use Avimark, and how reliable the software is. We feel confident that when we need support we will get a definitive answer ( even if not the answer we hoped for ). We plan to go paperless this year and have looked into the you tube videos and experimented with the shortcut keys. We feel confident that we will be able to transition effectively with the Avimark support to assist when needed.

Pros

I didn't have anyone to train me beyond the very basics of Avimark. I found that I could navigate and explore the features better than I expected. The software is intuitive. I also found that if you make a mistake, it is easy to fix. Some of the best things I use are the shortcut keys (F2 Refill, F4 Remove, etc.), however the very best feature of Avimark is the Customer Service support. I have called for a variety of situations and the support team is patient, knowledgeable and always willing to help.

Cons

A frustrating feature is that in order to perform a Who Got? (search for everyone who got whatever service or item), you have to know at least one client that got that service or item. Not as useful as it could be! Also, our clinic wants to add another credit card machine but that would require 2 closeouts at the end of the night. There is no way to flag Initials or a terminal to one cc reader and likewise to the second cc reader. That feature would be very useful and I don't understand why that is not an option.

AviMark is fantastic

I cannot complain, AviMark has been wonderful for myself, and my co-workers.

Pros

There are so many things that I like about AviMark. I have worked in several Veterinary Clinics throughout the years, and have had experience with several different programs. AviMark has the most diverse capabilities by far. I love how it has the ability to connect with all of our different laboratory equipment (especially Idexx). getting all of the test results listed on AviMark makes life so much simpler. We do not have to manually insert all of our patients results. AviMark also has been wonderful when it comes to product and medication stocking. All we have to do it monitor it through the software and we can tell when it is time to order more supplies. As long as we are doing things properly we do not run out of important things that we need as a Veterinary practice.

Cons

There really is not much to dislike about the software. It can take a bit to learn, and training new employees can take some time. But I have found it that being hands on with the software and just clicking things is the best way to learn it.

Thank you for the kind feedback. We are happy to have you! I'm glad that you are enjoying the bi-directional lab integrations, we're always looking to make our practices more efficient! If you ever have any questions, concerns, or additional feedback please don't hesitate to email us at US-CGSS_Solutions@Covetrus.com.