Google Chat Logo

Communication tool for businesses and non-profits

Google Chat Reviews

4.5

2.3K

Rating criteria

• Likelihood to recommend8.53/10

Reviews by rating

Suggested alternatives

monday-com

I like how it integrates seamlessly with other google products like google drive and google documents. I also feel like it’s a very stable product.
It's nice to have such convenient access to chat within Gmail but that's all the positive praise I can give it.
This is another fantastic tool provided by Google for the workplace. Internal coordination is a must for all businesses and Google Chat helps in that really effectively.
The search engine for previous issues is bad. You cannot search for one person only (filters) the room system is a bit confusing with the various conversations created.
All too often a message will be sent out by accident incomplete.
Sometimes the video call may be laggy. And also while texting there is a character limitation which is annoying.

2,302 reviews

Justin S.

Senior DevOps Engineer

Information Technology and Services, 201-500 employees

Cheap but frustrating

Transcript

Justin: Hi, I'm Justin, DevOps engineer. And I give Google Chat a two out of five rating. For more reviews...

Tigran K.

Owner

Real Estate, self-employed

Great product, but doesn't support calls anymore

Transcript

Tigran K.: Hi, my name is Tigran. I am a small business owner and I give Google Hangouts a rating of...

Zuhairah A.

Internet, 5,001-10,000 employees

Great quick messenger quality

My experience of more than 5 years using this software is wonderful and will continue working with it.

Pros

I use Google product a lot and this software is one of the best quick messenger software that i have use to communicate with my team. It can be integrated easily with other software like Google Calendar and Drive which make a speedy process to share files and document with my team directly from the messenger.

Cons

Nothing that i dislike with this software. It is free to use and included in the Google Workspace that we have use.

HD

Hussein D.

Information Technology and Services, 11-50 employees

Are you loosing due to miscommunication and delayed communication? The solution is here.

Good deals. More achievement, clear communication channel and committed service delivery. Google Chat is a bundle of benefits.

Pros

By far, Google Chat is of help. Very impressive and reasonable cost, high accuracy in its performance. As a CEO, instant messaging has been the most salivating deal. I can reach out to leaders from different departments fast and instantly. Mass texting saves time. I also like the live notifications made possible by Google Chat.

Cons

Just a simple and easy to use software. No complicated features or themes. It has no challenge to me.

Alejandro R.

Computer Games, 11-50 employees

Easy to use but slow and with many things to improve

I like most of the features and design, but must improve stability.

Pros

It's very easy to use and create teams, also starting a Google Meet in just one click.

Cons

You can't send more than 1 file at the same time, and sometimes it becomes so slow you have to restart it. You cannot save favorite or important messages.

HD

Henrietta D.

Telecommunications, 1,001-5,000 employees

Google chat makes communicating easy!

Pros

Google chat makes instant messaging easy and seamless. I have google chat both on my desktop and mobile, and the experience on both are great! Very user friendly, and easy to adjust/migrate to after using other communication tools.

Cons

Nothing off the top of my mind, I enjoy google chat a lot, and love that the mobile instance allows you to toggle between other google products like Gmail

KB

Kevin B.

Retail, 11-50 employees

Google Chat is part of the team!

Its been amaxing. We have no complaints at all!

Pros

I love the layout and how easy it is to have my whole team on a chat

Cons

The customer service is subpar. We have a heck of a time getting help

KC

Khim Cate G.

Telecommunications, 1,001-5,000 employees

Convenient and user friendly Chat interface

It is awesome. We can easily contact employees when needed. The mobile access also helps with urgent communication. Google chat understands the value of urgent and instant messaging, making it easier for users to post important files, updates and mention on channels. Evertything is easily organized thanks to Google Chat.

Pros

I like the real time updates on desktop notifications, how you can mentiom someone especially for urgent situations, creating channels as necessary. It makes everything more easy to organize.

Cons

None, everything is great! Even the new updates where the user chat is on right and other party messages is on right makes everything more easier!

CN

Christian N.

Consumer Services, 1,001-5,000 employees

Best comms app

Best app to communicate with people, team and other from different areas of the business

Pros

Easy to use, easy to navigate, easy to find and communicate to people Best use to contact on shore people, other people if we needed help

Cons

none so far, it is easy to use, easy to navigate, easy to find and communicate to people Best use to contact on shore people, other people if we needed help

ED

Eleanor D.

Telecommunications, 5,001-10,000 employees

My Google chat review as a Telecommunications Officer that has been using the product for more than 5 years

It is good. i got promoted at work because i am using this product for years

Pros

A lot of companies are using google chat. I use this for work where it is very easy to use and accessible to all that has Gmail accounts

Cons

The loading of the google chat when it comes to internet connectivity

RH

Roberto H.

Computer & Network Security, self-employed

Used monthly for 1-2 years

Is it different...

Pros

I like that it comes from google and it attempts to be life chat and different! and it has a good reputation that promises to be better and integrate, be integrated and stuff to improve what the user asks from a chat...

Cons

Is about the same as others and I don't like that soon it turns cold and not like or as I wish I would expect; don't know maybe is the tone and conversation I'm having; still there should be and I look forward for a new platform that will have assisted all of this; even though, is promising but soon falls not being different from usual or other chats.

JK

Justin K.

Primary/Secondary Education, 51-200 employees

Used monthly for 1-2 years

Easy to use fast chat

Pros

I like that how it's integrated into existing Google formats like Gmail. It is an easy way to directly message a team member.

Cons

I wish that the interface was a little more clear cut and didn't overlap with other existing Google services. As it is well known, Google constantly changes what apps are live and which are being killed off, and often multiple tools overlap. This app has, at times, faced these same challenges.

TS

Tara S.

Design, 1-10 employees

Used other for 2+ years

Easier than Skype

One of our group does not have a smartphone (hard as that is to imagine nowadays), so chatting with him on a computer is the best way to enjoy face-to-face communication. We tried Skype, Facebook messages, and Google Hangouts with varying success, but Google Hangouts Chat was the most reliable and by far the easiest to figure out—and it is completely integrated with other G Suite features, so file sharing and accessing contacts is effortless.

Pros

It makes chatting with my writing group very easy—while I'm reading their submissions in my Gmail, I can see if they are online, and I can shoot them a quick message in the moment. It is already part of the G Suite, so no extra programs need to be installed. At the same time, that means I can communicate with anyone who has emailed me without sharing other contact information. We were able to have three people involved in the conversation easily, and I enjoyed being able to turn off the view of myself.

Cons

Sometimes the video/ sound is intermittent, much the way Skype cuts in and out or a FaceTime call will freeze. I believe the speed of your internet connection and that of your companions plays a critical role.

CG

Christibe G.

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 51-200 employees

Google Chat is a team game changer

It has been seamless from implementation to getting everyone's buy in and participation.

Pros

The ability to have everyone in the same place when we cannot physically be in the same place is outstanding

Cons

I am no techy so I am not sure anything is missing per se but I am sure I will love enhancements at they are unveiled

KH

Karim H.

Apparel & Fashion, 51-200 employees

Google Chats review

I think this is by far the best app (next to discord) for chatting. Simple, easy to use, snd trusty. I can log in to my google account without having any fear, because it was made by google.

Pros

I think the notifications were the best feature. The instant send thru messages combined with the notification’s buzz really tops it off and makes it by far the most useful addition.

Cons

Like any other product, learning how to use the app and the controls can be hard to learn. But since this is a chatting app, Imdon’t have to worry about anything like that, and I can use it with ease.

SS

Sohail S.

Law Practice, 501-1,000 employees

Google Chat

Google Chats is a good chat option especially for Android users as it easily incorporates in other Google Apps.

Pros

Google Chat is an excellent software to communicate with friends and fellows. It is seen as a replacement and better version of Google Hangouts by google. It has a very pleasant and simple design. It offers multiple modes of communication like text chatting, audio and video calls. You can also initiate group call or chat among team member to use it as a collaboration tool. Along with chatting, you can also send files of any format with it easily.

Cons

Though technically Google Chat is not less than any of its competitors in any manner, but its smaller user base makes it a little less priority for users.

Civic & Social Organization, 1-10 employees

Google Chat : Easy Chat ...Reliable Communication

Pros

With Google chat you need not to share your phone number which is quite annoying at times to share . With Google chate is provides safe and secure enviornment to the users and they can even block the users whith whome they dony want to interact with.

Cons

Google Chat is not widly deployed in the community as other chat tools are . That chat tools provided by other major players in social media chatting are more comfortable i believe.

SO

Shannon O.

Marketing and Advertising, self-employed

A lightweight alternative to Zoom

Pros

It's easy to use and doesn't require launching an whole new program given that most people have Gmail open in tab during work hours. For that reason, it's my go-to video chatting tool. The integration into Google Calendar is also handy.

Cons

It's not nearly as feature-rich as some alternatives. It won't replace your need for a tool like Zoom or WebEx, but it is a nice alternative for quick calls.

Jennie P.

Writing and Editing, self-employed

Fun and easy to use!

Overall, google chat is a great product that fits in wonderfully with the entire Google product suite. You can easily copy/past from chat into a word document (though there is formatting issues to deal with; I typically go from chat to notepad then to word). It's user friendly, has an app to use on other devices, and you can use chat either inside gmail or as a "pop out", so the email page can be minimized (not closed!) and still use the chat box. Chats can be saved, so you don't have to worry about ever saving it and loosing it. I've been using gmail since it was by invite only, and have seen gmail grow, including the inclusion of the chat feature. It's definitely a product I would recommend to anyone.

Pros

Gmail Chat has been around for a good long time. It's a great tool if you're wanting to contact a fellow gmail user and strike up a conversation for work or personal use. I often use it to discuss the current novel I'm writing with my husband (who is my sounding board and listens to me prattle on about the corner I've written myself into). I've also used it to send links, grocery lists, recipes, etc....

Cons

There is a limit to the characters you can send. Since I frequently send stuff to the husband while writing, I often have to divide it up into sections. Same with anything else I send that is very long. I haven't used it for anyone that isn't a gmail user, so I honestly have zero clue how that would even work. The app for using it on an iphone is called "hangouts" and not "chat", so that can be confusing when you're trying to find the right app. But it works great once you find it, download and install it.

Information Technology and Services, 10,001+ employees

Modern Enterprise Chat

Pros

One of the obvious competitors for Google Chat is the prevalent Skype (previously Lync) instant messaging application often bundled with Microsoft products such as Outlook and Office for ease of integration. Unlike Skype, Google Chat offers a more modern set of features. Foremost is the way in which content can be directly shared in the chat window such as images or image previews from URL resources....

Cons

One of the main concerns for Google Chat revolves around the precarious nature of Google long term product support. On the other side of the fence Skype users are migrating to a more Discord or Slack like application called Microsoft Teams. This next generation of application incorporates IM into a broader context that includes more robust moderation and content sharing capabilities. As of now, Google Chat is in a branding transition to be incorporated as Google Hangouts Chat which indicates that Google intends to stay in the IM application space, but its not clear what features will be updated to bring Google Hangouts Chat in-line with competing applications.

Public Policy, 1,001-5,000 employees

Good platform for real time information sharing

Real-time messaging is possible between users on the chat service Google Chat. It is intended to be a quick, safe, and dependable method of communicating with friends and coworkers.

Pros

All the services of google suit can be integrated so its a great help when you need to collaborate with your team mates and you can seek assistance remotely. Users may easily share files and work together in real-time on projects.Notifications that can be customised are available in Google Chat, making it possible for users to remain on top of crucial conversations without being overrun by notifications.Google Chat is accessible on both desktop and mobile devices, including iOS and Android.

Cons

Google Chat doesn't offer as many features as some of its competitors, such as Slack or Microsoft Teams. For example, it doesn't have advanced project management or task tracking features.Integration with non-Google services: While Google Chat integrates well with other Google services, it can be more difficult to integrate with non-Google services, which can be a drawback for some users.

GT

Grace T.

Marketing and Advertising, 1-10 employees

Hangouts is now replaced by Chat

RIP Hangouts. You were limited in features but simple was somehow better. Your successor in its current iteration is an annoying arriviste

Pros

The font UI is better on Chat than Hangouts. Google app so it's easy to msg Google/Gmail contacts. Free. That's it

Cons

TBH, this would not even be on my list of chat apps if I had a choice, but certain work situations require it. Sigh. What's lacking? Can't see if read/unread. Replying specific message is impossible, but you can manually copy, put in ```quotedtext``` to quote in a very unaesthetic monospaced font display. Emojis are a multi-step selection process unless you somehow memorise the text shortcuts for...

HH

Hussain H.

Food & Beverages, 501-1,000 employees

A popular tool for meetings, webinars, and seminars!

It has a feature for reminding the missed messages. This caters to all the important conversations and does not let go of any important message. This software is very reasonable in price. This tool helps ease integration.

Pros

Google Chat allows group chat options in both personal and professional spheres. It is a great platform that can be used on both desktops and mobile phones. It takes just a few simple steps to install and can be used afterward. It allows meetings, webinars, and seminars. It does not take long to connect and provides fast connectivity. Due to its organized system, it enhances customer relationships by providing better services. Shares the files in no time. The interface is simple and easy to use. Another plus point is that it requires low bandwidth.

Cons

Background themes are outdated and dull. Voice and video quality get low at times. Sometimes the user faces confusion while using the call feature as it sends links rather than calling directly. The feature of instant video has been removed. It does not offer a free trial. The quality of voice and video calls should be improved, as it will encourage the user to switch to this platform. New and interesting background themes should be introduced to boost the user’s inclination toward the software. Free trials must be allowed to make the user aware of the features.

Fadiah R.

Banking, 10,001+ employees

Increase team communication effectiveness

Pros

The fact that Google has integrated hangouts directly into your email page makes it appear to be more user-friendly, even to those who have never used it previously. I appreciate that I can post messages and get alerts promptly. You may even hold team meetings from one central location—technology at its most advanced.

Cons

While utilizing workspace, I haven't delved into the Google Hangouts part of things yet. It has been brought to my attention that the price is a bit unclear. If the designers could provide a better choice to integrate all of these aspects into one and make it so that the cost can be identified, we would most likely employ it on the business side.

Carissa M.

Research, 201-500 employees

Collaborations for Chat Users - Across the Globe!

I love how this is obviously working along with the email when you sign on. Because you can have fun at work (remote or on-site), while engaging with people across the globe or maybe just next door who can't meet you in person for any other reasons.

Pros

I can easily collaborate with anyone and reach out to anyone with just a message away, real-time. The upper management can also work at ease to reach out to me the same way without having to wait for an email to be sent if there is an urgent project. My favorite would be the ability to search for a word I am looking for since I have the tendency to become forgetful. I also love the idea that it sends out a quick summary of the personal messages that I missed and I am ever mentioned to it. Kudos!

Cons

I hope there will be live emoticons, apart from emojis (?), or be able to change the font, background, or colors, just for it to appear lively. As well as the sounds/notification. But overall, it won't really the affect the function, but thought it would make it a little bit more enjoyable to engage with the conversation.

LV

Lena V.

Veterinary, 1-10 employees

Google hangouts is ok software for business

For the software to be free, it is decent to use. The features that are offered work well and reliably, so you can be confident using the messaging, chat, or video calls for your business. I would have liked to been able to record and live stream though. The recordings are so important for employees that miss meetings or for tracking our clients pets while in the facility.

Pros

I like that it is free and easy to use. The chat and video feature is great for having meetings without everyone present.

Cons

I really don’t like that you can not screen share or record your meetings. The live steaming feature is absent as well.

BG

Bienvenido G.

Hospital & Health Care, 51-200 employees

Want simple way to communicate, use Chat by Google!

Overall, this software is awesome for simple messaging only! It consumes less bandwidth so if you want just to communicate without having audio or video then use this software.

Pros

When it comes to have leading innovation, it is definitely Google! From complex to simple software tool, it is pioneered by Google. Chat by Google is simple yet innovative way of communicating. I can consider this chatting software as small but really an indispensable software in the sense that by using this you can communicate instantly across the world. I think it is very useful to use in different establishments like what we our doing in our company. I can easily get in touch with other caregivers of our company though we are working from home. We can easily share the information from one another and it does not require high end device where you can install it. If you want simple yet useful software for chatting so it is Chat by Google.

Cons

Chat by Google is designed specifically for chatting. If you are looking for chatting tool that has audio and video features then don't install it. It is basically for text communication only and not for multimedia sharing of information. This software is definitely designed for basic chatting only!