ManageEngine Desktop Central Logo

ManageEngine Desktop Central

Desktop, mobile device & patch management software

ManageEngine Desktop Central Reviews

User ratings

4.5

• Likelihood to recommend8.7/10

See full reviews by rating

Pros

Cons

Integration with ServiceDesk Plus is great, if it's working. The integrated templates of software to deploy are very great and easy to use.

KW

Kurt W.

Cant love it more support is amazing...product is amazing does everything you can think of.

dr

dave r.

AP

Alvaro P.

Companies took huge damage because of covid-19 pandemic. Most of country lost its economic balance.

MM

Murat M.

Errors installing software or agent are hard to troubleshoot without having to start over with deployment.

LH

Leonardo H.

The error messaging, most of the times to general.

PD

Pascal D.

ManageEngine Desktop Central users...

Spiceworks-logocaret

IBM Security MaaS360 with Watson

Dameware-logocaret

Dameware

Compare both
How would you rate ManageEngine Desktop Central?

Giridhar P.

Manager Data Engineering

Information Technology and Services, 10,001+ employees

ManageEngine Desktop Central is a very good Windows platform based solution

Transcript

Giridhar P.: My name is Giridhar. I work as manager, data engineering. And I give ManageEngine for Desktop...

Desktop Central: Tech Perspective

Transcript

Preston: Hi, my name is Preston. I'm a system administrator. I give ManageEngine Desktop Central a four...

Ease of use complete Endpoint Management

Pros

We are using this product for the last 9+ years and it has made the day to day running of IT activities a very simple and robust process. Managing desktops, laptops mobiles with the click of the mouse is what an IT Admin dreams of and it is made possible by this product. Another major thing which this product has helped us is to keep the software compliance in place.

Cons

Windows Driver and BIOS Patch Management should also be part of the Professional edition.

Desktop Central - try it! You may wonder how you lived without it before.

Overall, I really enjoy their products. I have used their other offerings and have been pleased with how easy their software is to learn and use. I really like the reporting features, even if they are a bit plain. But, the data in the reports is spot on. It would be nice to have a way to spice up the reporting templates a bit for non-technical management. I've tried other patching products over the years, but I've always recommended Desktop Central to my clients to at least try. Almost all of them end up purchasing Desktop Central!

Pros

Desktop Central is very easy to set up. As long as you follow the requirements for opening ports, you should be able to install and start using the product very quickly. The product can be used for free with up to 25 clients, so you can really "kick the tires" and get a full idea of if this is the product for you. It is reasonably fast, and the learning curve is fairly easy and straightforward. ...

Cons

It took me a little while to learn HOW the product works, and what the developers' thought process was at first. Once I got that part, the use of the product really fell into place for me rather quickly. I think the learning curve for this software is much easier than other products, but you do have to at least look over the intro manuals the first couple of times you use the product. I'd love to see the company make more training videos using native North American English speakers. ManageEngine is an Indian company, and while their team absolutely knows their stuff, it can be challenging (at least for me) to work with the Indian speaking and writing style of English.

Tries to do too many things

This product advertises a lot of features and functionalities that try to make the solution a one-stop shop for IT departments. Unfortunately none of the features work well or work at all. When compared with other patching solutions, software deployment solutions and help desk toolsets, it falls flat on its face and does not meet the demands of an enterprise sized organization. Support staff is foreign based and can be very difficult working against the language barriers or trying to explain the problem even though they appear to be trying to help.

Pros

Useful dashboard for inventory of hardware and software.

Cons

Patching is extremely complicated compared to competitors. Agents deployed to endpoints consume large amount of CPU and RAM. Customer support is a small team with most tickets taking 3 days minimum. Every case starts with uploading logs. Product patches are being released constantly to fix the large number of bugs in software. Bandwidth management for remote offices does not function well and will easily consume an entire circuit. If this happens it is difficult to stop the traffic until the action has completed. Small mistakes can have big consequences when configuring deployments.

Hello, Greetings from ManageEngine! We're glad you like our intuitive dashboard for hardware and software inventory. We're sorry about your unpleasant experience with the product. Our patching today has transcended and become a lot more seamless with the introduction of automated patch deployment tasks, wherein every stage of the patch cycle is automated. We've grown as a team, and currently...

You must check out Desktop Central for *any* size organization

Pros

It's breadth of features. It literally has features you normally need 3-4 different products from different manufacturers. Normally someone will pay for remote control software, patch management, mobile device management, desktop management as separate products but all that (and more) are built right it. The integration into AD and the ability to patch update computers off the network is vital to my company. The price is also extremely affordable. I've used them in both a 1500 employee company with more than 2000 devices and now in a smaller company with 80 employees and 100 devices and it's been a godsend. Support is also amazing. they have articles available and live chat available and all hours which is nice for me.

Cons

Some parts are confusing, like the configuration profiles. It takes some getting used to.

Manage Engine Desktop Central UEM

Pros

The remote feature is a plus to troubleshoot and assist user when our main communication application is down. I like the GUI of this application. The support of multi OS The integration with JIRA helpdesk On Cloud base we can see the bitlocker status and can create custom report to see the bitlocker status.

Cons

The remote wipe is located on the MDM license and we need to install two agents for desktop central and MDM No Bitlocker management is available on the cloud base. Need to add more hints or a help to main sub feature to make it easier to find how to do this and that. Even though there are knowledge base link, but if there is more shortcut it will be more helpfull.

ManageEngine User Only

Pros

As a general user for this software I don't have much to add. It is utilized by our IT department to manage and implement patches on our Windows machines. It usually does its thing off in the corner of my system tray and doesn't bother me.

Cons

From a user perspective there isn't much to like 'least' about this software. The interface is locked down and it runs in the background. If anything, the scheduled time that it scans for possible updates does take a fair amount of computer resources, but this is more of an implementation choice by the IT department. Scanning could probably be less resource intensive, but then it would take longer.

Great for the money

We are benefiting by keeping up with patches and all our inventory, Desktop Central is also very cost effective since its only ~$2.50 per device.

Pros

There are so many features in Desktop Central, so many that we might not ever use some of them. But they manage to keep all these features working and at the ready for when we might need them.

Cons

The interface is a little hard to navigate at first, its a little cluttered and not as responsive as others. But when you have so many features its hard to find a place for all of them.

This tool has been a fantastic for my organisation to keep our IT systems up to date and supported

This tool has been a great help to us from an IT perspective and I would highly recommend this tool if you have a big team or if you have an IT team which is situated in a separate location to the rest of the team

Pros

Interacting with my IT team has been made so much simpler using this tool. My IT team can simple send a remote request and then also push any updates and any messages to me via this tool. It's easy to use and very simplistic which is great. It allows the IT team to do what they need to without hinderance.

Cons

There is honestly nothing that I dislike about this tool.

Extremely easy product for your complete UEM management

Pros

the ease of use in all aspects, patch deployment, OS deployment, push configurations to endpoints

Cons

When there is something not working like expected, it could take some time for support to find the issue.

Desktop/Endpoint Central

This is a great product, and can really help small Teams scale their support coverage

Pros

remote management and control over all of our domain and cloud based devices

Cons

All features are excellent! I can't name any features that are poor.

Absolutely the must in any Environment (and a great pricing as well)

I've been using DesktopCentral since version 9 and I can see how this product evolves into a great, a "must have" tool for any organization. There is quite a competition exists, especially with Microsoft Intune (even though Intune does not provide all the functionality that DesktopCentral has) - it's free for E5 customers. We rely on DesktopCentral in our day to day work and it's our primary tool for endpoint + server management. Absolutely helpful tool. I must also mention Support - to have support options via chat - is a great idea, always available and always helpful.

Pros

All-in-One tool, Inventory, Security, Encryption, Patch management, MDM, Modern Management, Remote Access, Software Deployment - it's a "swiss knife" for any IT department. What makes Desktop Central great is that you have everything to manage your servers, endpoints, in all aspects of it just from a single tool. No need for a multi-server deployment, very easy to deploy and manage. It just works! Logically, easy and very user/admin friendly

Cons

Sometimes it takes a while to get a new functionality implemented or some existing functionality to be improved. MacOS support sometimes takes a while to "catch up" with new OS releases (even though Apple does provide access to "betas" to pretty much anybody). It would be great to have an edition were all the modules and addons (including Security one) would be already included (we would definitely go for it). Virtualization Modules, VDI management would be a great addition as well

An Absolutely Essential IT Support Solution for Small to Large Environments

See above! I mainly use Desktop Central to maintain third party applications (non-Microsoft). I also provide periodic remote desktop support for a few users, including one who works from home, like I do. It would take me hours to drive to the office or user's location! . Especially in this last year, Desktop Central and a couple other Manage Engine products have been essential for me to provide support for a small office that is struggling financially to keep its doors open. I cannot say enough good things about this and the the other Manage Engine products.

Pros

From third party program installation and management to remote computer management, Desktop Central is an indispensable solution. - Managing third party software is greatly simplified with Patch Management and Software Deployment. - Full system Inventory, with Manage Licenses, Software Metering and automated system Scan. - Remote Control allows remote desktop support, essential for today's IT support. - A robust set of reports that can be scheduled and emailed. - Integrates with Service Desk Plus to automatically create service tickets, and email alerts can be created. - The Free version is fully functional and a great solution for small offices with a limited budget.

Cons

I have been using Desktop Central at my current position for 4 years. I cannot live without Desktop Central, or several other Manage Engine products! It is essential for IT to know what their network condition is, maintain its optimum health, and provide end user remote support. Desktop Central is only one of many Manage Engine products that allows IT support to do this.

MEDC is an important tool for us.

Patching is a breeze. RDP has saved me a lot of headaches since I don't always remember the FQDN of every machine in the building. Helps let me know if systems are down. Overall its a tool I cant live without at this point.

Pros

Inventory features. Makes it really easy to see what PC's are running and who is using them. Login history, Windows patching, software inventories, warranty information (except for HP) and a great built in RDP feature. This software makes life a LOT easier. Its pricing is pretty competitive for everything it offers. We have stuck with it for almost 3 years and don't plan to switch away unless there is a drastic change in its price or functionality. So far I would give it a solid 9.5/10.

Cons

When you hit your license limit, if you don't realize it, and you do another installation, removing the license from an unused computer doesn't activate the one you were initially trying to activate. Often requiring you to jump through a little bit of hoops to get it going. Always make sure you have a free license prior to the install. The only other thing I would truly consider a con is some of the features are more buried then they should be, and its not always immediately obvious where your going to find what you are looking for. Once you have used it for a while, you get used to it though and its a non-issue.

Hello Dale, Greetings from ManageEngine! We're delighted that you like the multifariousness of Desktop Central and the fact that it has been making your job seamless for the past three years. We hope our product has aced in helping you with endpoint security and management. We are working towards creating better visibility in terms of the user interface. If you require further assistance with the product UI, do write to us at cms-eval@manageengine.com. Should you need any further information, please do not hesitate to write to us at desktopcentral-support@manageengine.com.

A Product that actually does what you paid for, and then does even more!

I have used this program now between three different companies that I have worked in, two of which I made the recommendation that it be purchased. I am impressed with the product, but also with the development and support team. Its not uncommon for me to send them a question and have an answer back in less then 24 hours. They also have a wonderful ability to take feedback and then have it show up in the product in very little time.

Pros

The product does an amazing job performing the update of server and desktop operating systems and software. What is surprising is all the additional things it does, and the features that they keep adding into the product. Examples over the years includes adding in things like mobile device management, review of each box for vulnerabilities, showing issue and problems with the boxes that are both correctable and not correctable by the patching functions.

Cons

Upon some tasks they will show failure or a pending action, however they do not then update those status in the queue. I think this is done from a compliance standpoint, but there should be a function added to specifically address a job that’s been run, been incomplete and then a pending follow-up action.

Works perfectly for me to manage and monitor several devices

Being a Game Developer and Digital Media Producer, I always need a solution to perfectly control and manage all of my desktop and mobile devices and Desktop Central is what I really found as an intuitive and innovative solution to do it. I can easily operate my devices, monitor their usage, install system updates, manage installation of softwares, share files within the systems etc very easily from a single device just because of Desktop Central which is far better when compared to its competitors. Desktop Central allows me to run its application even on my 32-bit system. It also has a mobile application which works smoothly.

Pros

There are several things I loved about Desktop Central like the ability to automate the patching of OS, automatic scanning and installation of latest service packs for OS, imaging of OS to protect my devices from security vulnerabilities. It also allows me to install and uninstall necessary softwares remotely with many of its useful features and built-in templates. A few more useful features are also...

Cons

The only thing I would like to say to Manageengine is that they should fix the pricing for Desktop Central, a small organization or a small firm can't easily afford this much expensive solution for them. Though, I think Desktop Central already offers to get a price Quote to their customers according to their need.

Comprehensive Desktop Management Solution

ManageEngine Desktop Central has helped us improve our overall technical and operational support to staff and further, helped consolidate software and resources.

Pros

ManageEngine Desktop Central is a robust set of tools that allow s you to deploy, automate, and support your end user's device with a simple to manage interface. Before using ManageEngine my team used a wide variety of tools and a lot of 'hands-on' involvement to maintain our diverse set of end-user equipment, but, with Desktop Central we are able to deploy images, software, manage patches, set security policies, and provide remote support all from one central location.

Cons

The setup can be a little overwhelming at first due to all of the configuration and features. While the support team was good and very friendly, it would be better if there is more standardized KBs and how-to videos to help support some of the advanced functions.

Hello, Greetings from ManageEngine! We're glad that you like the multifariousness of Desktop Central. We hope our product has aced in helping you with endpoint security and management, thereby replacing the multiple tools that you've had to use in the past. We are working on standardizing the knowledge base articles and how-to videos. If you require further assistance, do write to us at cms-eval@manageengine.com. Should you need any further information, please do not hesitate to write to us at desktopcentral-support@manageengine.com.

Desk Central

It's almost all positive. It allows me to stay of top of all software patching, both Windows and 3rd-party. That's the single largest benefit. But in addition it allows quickly implement group policy-like configurations, effectively block thumb drives, reboot all machines on a set schedule, view a complete inventory of all hardware and software, search for specific software that's installed, implement quick changes to all machines when needed, like registry ones, and many others.

Pros

This product was easy for me to implement several years ago. Whenever I have problems, it's very easy to contact their support team and when i do they are very responsive. If a feature isn't there that I'd like to have, they also make a serious effort to see it implemented in the future. For what it does, it's very cost-effective and an extremely beneficial tool to have at my disposal as the lead tech in our organization. If it wasn't available I feel it would be extremely difficult to replace with anything product anywhere near its price range, and I'd likely lose features as well.

Cons

No product is perfect, and there's a few features I'd like to have added, but at least they make an honest effort to hear my concerns whenever i have them. I really can't think of much of anything else that I'd criticize them for, and I'm very happy with it.

Your All-in-One Solution

I really can't leave without Manage Engine. It's my everyday Go-To tool for all my needs. You guys are doing a great job improving the software.

Pros

I love the fact that this software gets updates and upgrades periodically. I do appreciate the nice remote capabilities, the option to roll out your own image, MS Updates, asset management and great reports. Its my everyday tool for helping out end users and doing all my IT duties! Its an amazing tool! I am waiting for the day that they add Purchase Orders to the Manage Engine Suite.

Cons

Some upgrades might catch you by surprise since the design and the buttons change here and there, but I do understand the process of making things better for the IT Professional. Can be a bit expensive if you add all the tools to the suite. Better bundles should be added to the list of suggestions.

Heterogeneous End-point Management from a Unified Console

Easy to use UI, Online help and chat support, Great community support. Overall, quick to learn and easy Setup.

Pros

More control, Power to you, whilst deploying SW Deployment, OS Patching and even MDM, all can be achieved from a single console. Not to mention, OS Deployment & Imaging are offered free for all Workstation & Servers. Gartner listed, Awesome support very Proactive indeed.

Cons

None at all. Out-of-box product features have nothing to complaint about. We love everything that DesktopCentral UEM has to offer.

A unified endpoint management solution for omnichannel users for managing various s/w implementation

The ease of software deployment has been a cake walk. It has reduced the time efficiency by leaps and bounds. The performance of the software is a huge plus point

Pros

Ease of deploying the software to multiple devices with in minutes have saved cost, time and manpower for the organization

Cons

Customizing the dashboard and reports control could have been more user friendly.

Hello Kapil, Greetings from ManageEngine! We're glad that you like the multifariousness of Desktop Central. We hope our product has helped you with securing and managing your endpoints. We're happy to know that software deployment has been a walk in the park for your organization by using our product. We hope you've tried other features as well. If you require further assistance with the product features, do write to us at cms-eval@manageengine.com. Should you need any further information, please do not hesitate to write to us at desktopcentral-support@manageengine.com.

RBFA

The best tool so far in my career, modular, great support.

Pros

Ease of use. Super OS and patch deployment, the overviews and the reports. Quick help on each page. Deploy of software. Mobile device management.

Cons

The error messaging, most of the times to general. Quick help not always sufficient. The help websites, not clear enough to find your way.

Nothing Comes Close To Zoho Corp and Desktop Central Price Per Value and Feature Wise

Pros

Nothing comes close to Manage Central when price per value is obvserved with the only issues being that it is a lot of information all at once, and that it has many configuration abilities and options. I have used this solution for a couple months now, but my experience with Zoho SaaS has been spectacular with 0% downtime on my original site I launched as a side project being 0 in 386 days! Would recommend this to anyone looking for a serious solution, and even to hobbyists and home lab users just looking to try something out!

Cons

Software is extremely customizable and granular, but has a sharper learning curve than a click and deploy solution. However the extra configurability is crucial in fields that require compliance, governance and hard coded security with a clear and present chain of command.

Excellent product! Compared to other ME products also very few bugs. Support should be improved.

Huge time savings in supporting our end users!

Pros

- stable - ease of use - value for Money is excellent!!! - covers (almost) all our endpoint management Needs - steady improvement in functionality

Cons

Technical Support should be improved! The technicians seem very knowledgeable! Anyhow, I miss the personal contact to the Support engineers. I don't like how, in a Support session, the technician connects to my PC and starts clicking around and Chat through Notepad. Any other vendor's Support technician would give me a call and stay on the phone while Troubleshooting Problems. It's a great way to learn about the product for me, and for the technician it may also be usefull as I may help the technician by providing Details more easely. I think that it would improve the Support process drastically. I really dislike the way Support works at the Moment!

Hello Philipp, Greetings from ManageEngine! We're glad you like the multifariousness of Desktop Central. We hope our product has aced in helping you with endpoint management and security. Thank you for your feedback on our support, and we're happy to keep you informed that our support team today is not what it used to be three years back. We've worked on inflating every intricate detail with our customer service. If you require further assistance with the product, do write to us at cms-eval@manageengine.com. Should you need any further information, please do not hesitate to write to us at desktopcentral-support@manageengine.com.

desktop Central: Affordable, yet complex

Sales was challenging as they expect you to be an expert on their product already. Installation was easy and the actual product is amazing.

Pros

The one-stop shop for all IT endpoint tasks. We previously used multiple tools for patching, inventory, remote access, and software control. MEDC allows us to roll them all into one easy to use tool. The fact that it's cloud based is key as we try to minimize any on-prem services.

Cons

Some of the terms can be confusing, and the sheer number of different ME products makes selecting the correct product challenging. The sales team could use some training on how to properly assist potential customers on needs assessments and how their products align and especially interact.

One of the easiest to use management systems yet powerful as well

We went from having a few devices in a few close locations to 100's of devices located across multiple states. Having a reliable and simple way to manage these devices has made my job 1000 times easier.

Pros

I had started with Maas360 and every part of that seemed to be confusing and poorly laid out. With DesktopCentral that wasn't the case. It was easy to find what I needed after a very short time of poking around and trying things out.

Cons

About the only thing I can think of at the moment would be that that the mobile devices are separate from the inventory. It made the integration of the 2 products seem less integrated. But this was, to be honest a minor issue to me.