Postman Logo

Postman

API platform for building and using APIs

Postman Reviews

4.7

Rating criteria

• Likelihood to recommend9.22/10

Reviews by rating

I use Postman largely for testing processes that are triggered by http requests. I have been very satisfied with the experience and impressed by the quality of the product.
This is a good tool to do or test API request, it's very important when you are developing or just want to test without any complicated settings.
Overall, Postman is an awesome software to debug API endpoints. I love that you can import web calls just by pasting raw text or uploading a file and re-play them.
In the case of Postman, there is no feature that I think is missing.
It can sometimes become painful to navigate when you have many collections to switch to back and forth.

ML

Michael L.

RM&R Operations - Technical Lead

Hospital & Health Care, 51-200 employees

Best overall API/REST testing tool

Transcript

Michael L.: My name's Michael. I'm an IT consultant. I give Postman a four out of five. For more reviews...

MH

Mike H.

VP of Customer Success

Computer Software, 51-200 employees

An incredible tool for professionals and amateurs alike

Transcript

Mike H.: Hey, my name is Mike. I'm a VP of customer success, and I give Postman a five out of five. For...

Orlando P.

Information Technology and Services, self-employed

Best HTTP client in the market.

I've used postman every day for the past 2 to 3 years as a tool to test my services, specially on edge case scenarios that were not covered by the initial unit tests, or that are discovered by the QA team. Postman being so intuitive has allowed me to be more effective at my job and, often times, discard the posibility of the error being in the backend without much effort. It would not be an understatement to say this software has saved me at least 100 hours of work. Would recommend it to anyone working primarily on the backend.

Pros

I've got almost no complaints on postman, specially on their installable desktop platforms. I can completely rely on it and trust their functionality in order to trust the services I work with every day. The configuration options for all requests are perfect and the supported options and exchange formats is up to date with industry standards. Plus. With an unexistent barrier of entry on the free tier, there is no better http client out there. I'd even pick it above Curl.

Cons

If I had one minor pet peeve is that the web client is not as intuitive nor complete as the others, often failing to save my changes. However this can be very easily side stepped by just downloading the correct client for your OS, so I hardly count it as a negative.

MS

Mirza S.

Information Technology and Services, 11-50 employees

Postman is a great API testing tool

It's my go-to tool for API testing, I use it to explore new API, verify features, run regular regression checks (test collections). The other features are also quite good, you can add examples to show new users how a certain API endpoint should be used, and with the Monitor feature, you can run your automated checks on a regular basis. Overall it's a great tool, whether you are a tester, developer, BA, or something else, Postman can be useful for any role!

Pros

I used it every day for manual and automated API testing, what I like about it is the fact that it offers a lot of API-related functionality in one place. You can design and develop APIs, test them, write documentation for your APIs and collaborate with team members.

Cons

Adding more options to make automated scripts more re-usable would be very helpful.

Information Technology and Services, 51-200 employees

Good for APIs

Pros

It is an amazing platform. It has an amazing collection of APIs and helps my team a lot. Everything can be understood very easily part from documentations.

Cons

Have been using postman for a while have not faced any problem only with the documentation. It can be improved.

CA

Catarina A.

Computer Software, 11-50 employees

A must have handy tool for API/WS devs

This tool was a "go to" application to test API endpoints that were beeing developed by our team. It was also used to make sure that every developed endpoint was available from outside of our infrastructure and in every existing environment.Overall I think it is a must have tool to use if you are developing, testing or integrating APIs or Webservices.

Pros

The ability to test new endpoints and save them into a project that you can export and share with your team is a great plus! Also, the simplicity of usage and the data visualisation options are two of the main advantages.

Cons

From my personal perspective, I can't pin point any relevant flauts in this software so I highly recommend it.

Mahesh Chathuranga R.

Information Technology and Services, 51-200 employees

Great tool to test REST API calls.

Within Our Organization, We have been using the Postman tool for API testing by a couple of teams internally overall it helps us to minimize the development time.

Pros

It allows our QA and Application Support teams to simplify the methods of developing APIs. GUI is quite straightforward and user friendly. The free plan has it's limited features but most helpful.

Cons

Limited for REST API Testing. And it is still not supporting for Hessian protocol.

SK

Sumit K.

Computer Software, 1,001-5,000 employees

Test your APIs with ease.

On my system, I build an application with spring boot and Java, and postman is always useful for testing the created backend APIs.It is preferable to give the entire set of API that we have established in postman rather than just a section of endpoints that we occasionally share with certain teams. So overall I'm happy using postman.

Pros

Simple user interface with excellent features such as the ability to create collections and environment variables.Curls can be imported directly which is really useful. There is an import export feature available. Using postman we can send any kind of backed request and view the response in various formats.

Cons

1. A modest quantity of use. Increases energy use and CPU usage.2. URLs may fail to load in the postman when hidden characters are pasted into them accidentally.

Matthew J.

Increadible API Solution

Pros

There's quite a lot to like about Postman, aside from the fact that you can create and test API very precisely it remains a top-notch tool for developers. While it's true there are quite a handful of similar software solutions, Postman simply makes life a lot easier based on experience.

Cons

Within the context of my usage, I will say there's nothing to like less about the solution.

Steve M.

Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 1-10 employees

Easy to use api tool

Pros

Its makes testing API easy , easy to learn with great user interface and requires little processing power.

Cons

Easily meets my requirements , great software ,no dislikes .

Roshish S.

Information Technology and Services, 11-50 employees

A must-have for any developer

Pros

Postman makes testing API really easy. All the requests can be easily managed into collections and they can also be exported or imported. Interface is simple and easy to use.

Cons

There is nothing to complain about Postman. It is the best tool out there to validate APIs.

Telecommunications, 1,001-5,000 employees

Powerful tool for API development and testing

I use Postman to develop, test and monitor different API. For beginning it was not so easy to learn, but now I can efficiently use it to complete my tasks

Pros

I like friendly interface, rich features, useful response visualization, testing and monitoring. If I have question, I always can find answer in Postman community

Cons

For very complex API sometimes there are performance issues. Also for new users it may be a little hard to learn and understand how to use full power of Postman.

SR

Sakshi R.

Information Technology and Services, 10,001+ employees

API Testing Tool

Honestly saying, I am using postman since 2+ years, I first time used postman during my internship period and I was amazed to see the features and functionality provided by postman, if there is no backend data available and you want to work on front end then using postman you can easily test APIs whether they are working or not and can go ahead for further development. Also postman saves previously used APIs so that later we can use them if we want. It is really easy to use and it saves a lot of time of developers.Postman is a crucial part in every backend and front end developer's life.

Pros

Postman is a fantastic tool for API testing, generally every developer needs to test API before creating an application,I would say postman is easy to use and it is user friendly tool, User only need to paste API link and can see the data belongs to that API. Postman allows various methods like GET, PUT,POST etc...Also if you paste the API link postman allows you to see the code in JSON, XML, python and many more. Postman allows to document the api data in collection and later can share with team members. User can save the APIs as collections and can easily use later directly from collections.

Cons

I am generally using postman to test APIs but sometimes I felt that when I paste the link of API in postman and hit enter it is not showing any response or any data but when I close the postman and try again it works, that's the only thing which I don't like else postman is a best friend for every developer.

Harsh P.

Information Technology and Services, 11-50 employees

Best platform for API design and testing.

my overall experience with postman has been great.

Pros

Postman is one of the best platforms for API design and testing, it has a very easy-to-use UI and it has great features which make API design and testing very easy. It also supports sharing the API collection which helps a lot.

Cons

The only thing that I dislike about postman is that if you don't have their premium plan then the shared API collection can be changed by anyone.

SB

Shaifi B.

Financial Services, 51-200 employees

Lifeline between backend developer, frontend developer and tester

It's a one stop solution to API development. It helps to divide the API in various parts like heads, body, authentication etc. and it also supports body in various formats. It allows to create, import and share curl as well. It also maintains history, creates different collections and set up mock environment.

Pros

API collection can be easily made in postman. That collection can be shared with anybody be it UI developer, backend developer or tester. It has made development and testing really easy. Just create a collection. Add the required variables with replacers and click run. The testing which usually takes half an hour to 30 min can be completely run in 30 sec by using the postman collection. Infact it also helps to test the multithreading in the API

Cons

It is not smart enough to differentiate between base urls. If there are multiple tabs opened with same API call but different base url, then during closing even if we save 1 api call then it will again ask to save for another api call. It should automatically differentiate them and add them in different environments

Arnaldo C.

Oil & Energy, 10,001+ employees

Fast API Tester

I use it every day for rapid testing, and adds a lot of productivity for that. And being well organized, adds even more. Is surprising how well adapts to different protocols as ODATA for example. A must have for a web developer

Pros

As a software developer with many low code integrations, it is quite difficult for me to test isolated connections with different APIs. Althought there are many tools that do the same, Postman brings many features for the free version. It is very intuitive and does many things for you out of the box. Therefore, it is very useful for quick testing or simply as a playground for API discovery. It is very versatile for many authentication and protocol scenarios. And also a good way to organize your projects.

Cons

Maybe not an important thing, but is confusing have the chrome extension and the desktop version. Sometimes the default values does not follow the most reasonable logic, and get values from request and not the last one, or take the last one from a different workspace project.

Telecommunications, 10,001+ employees

Best Tool so far for quick tests using REST

I normally use Postman and first step, not complete manual test for Backend and also before complete automation. For automation we used Java ( jive) code. For this pupose I can say that Postman is a very good solution. But I would like to see complex examples ( like a whole regression Suite) using postman and having TCs in cycles every 24 hours. Also I'd like to see good code examples so troubleshoot would be easier when I have failing TCs,

Pros

Easiness to use, sometimes I have tests that works only on Postman ( and not in SOAP UI for example) , possibility to automate test suing scripts, possibility to export and use variables on tests. This tool is similar to another ones but the difference is the number of people using it and some doubts can be quickly solved by googling it. It is easy and quick to automate test cases and create a Test Suite

Cons

Sometimes not so easy to find the solution for your "problem" and need to search on communities. They would provide a better help and manuals with examples and links on how to build the test case. It is common that I find the answer outside the site from Postman and not on the official one.

JS

Jagat Singh B.

Information Technology and Services, 501-1,000 employees

Postman Review

Postman helps a lot to boost the API's development process for me just because their easy to use, quick to validate your APIs, and import and export the data. Our tester team creates a test suit for all REST APIs to validate the response time and response codes which helps to minimize the testing time.

Pros

There are lots of good functionalities in postman which help me to validate REST APIs and boost the performance of API developments like : 1) As a collections feature I can test my system with a maximum number of APIs execution. 2) Dashboard and Reporting is one of the key features which is rapidly used in terms of data visualization and validation of REST API's 3) Easy to use and integrate with any other application.

Cons

I felt one cons through postman we are not able to send parallel REST requests to handle API management. I don't aware whether this feature is existing or not current version of the postman.

wt

wajahat t.

Making API work easy!

i create Rest APIs with it daily and it helps me do it faster

Pros

the best thing i like in it the collection of APIs, you can create/import/export APIs collection with just a few clicks. you want to share APIs with someone just export your APIs and send that file to anyone, that person only need to import it and he will have it the exact same way as you. The UI is cool and easy u can write scripts to perform various operations like taking a session header from one API response and add it to another automatically. I really recommend it.

Cons

to be honest i do not have anything to dislike here. i use this software daily and i have never come across with anything that i want to be changed or be better, its just perfect.

Shrawan K.

Postman Review by a Back end Developer

Pros

Postman manual testing my Back end APIs very easy. The way it can integrate authentication, authorization, cookies and manipulate urls is fun to work with as it also provides an intuitive and feature rich UI . Postman's creating and publishing API documentation feature makes it easier to pass my API schema to the consumers. After using it for 2 years I can recommend this app to another fellow developer.

Cons

Some features that I would like in postman is the ability to add more team members. I mostly use postman's free version as its pricing line up is not cheaper. Its pricing is a bit competitive compared to its free competitors. Also it would be nice if I could test my published API from the web directly instead of coming back to Postman to test.

Information Technology and Services, 11-50 employees

The best software for API testing

Postman offers a lot of features that I learnt from its very comprehensive and interactive guides. You can even set environment variables if the url changes and configure requests to be run one after the other and set access tokens to be fetched from requests. Overall, Postman is a great tool that has put a lot of thought on how to make API testing as easy as possible for the users

Pros

Postman is very easy to use with a simple interface. My favorite feature is the fact that you can organize api calls to collections. This feature comes in handy as you can save requests of different systems and keep them organized into collections. Another feature that I am a big fan of is that you can share a collection that can be imported, so you can team members don't have to create the requests separately. This also could act as a sort of documentation as everyone would be able to easily see what requests are there and how they can be used, what parameters they require, etc.

Cons

The web version has limited functionalities which did not exist back then. I wish they supported all functionalities on web as personally, I prefer not to use desktop apps, but this is merely a personal preference.

A Very Good REST Client

Overall I am very happy using Postman. It fulfills all of my use cases as It supports all the request methods, content types, and authentication mechanisms.I can see API responses without any issues in all of the formats like JSON, HTML, etc.

Pros

I mostly like the easiness of using the Postman. We can quickly test any API in Postman whether that is behind an authentication or a public API.It supports most authentication types like Basic, OAuth, etc. We can save our APIs and access any time.I liked the browser support as well. I can access all the saved APIs in my browser just by logging in to a different computer with my username and password.It supports all the standard request methods and content types.

Cons

I don't there is anything to dislike about Postman. It fulfills all of my use cases.

Divyang S.

Information Technology and Services, 201-500 employees

Validate You APIs

We have been using Postman for long and there are many similar tools in market which claims to be better than this, but our QA teams and developers like us are not yet satusfies with those tools and will definitely choose Postman over others.

Pros

We have been using Postman for API testing for long time now. Generally we work on RESTful APIs and testing with Postman, never had any complaints after actually deploying them. Postman creates an environment setup by us as required and we can add various test cases and all the detailed reports are stored and can be analysed to check if it works in a manner we wanted. Used in QA department for long time and best thing is you can integrate with other popular tools and you can also replicate those test cases with same environment, even for the test cases whose results are to be used as input to next test cases. This allows different teams to work simultaneously like on the front-back ends together.

Cons

Starting the Postman gives enough load on the PC and you need to wait for a while but that is not the serious issue. What seems to be problem is new users find it difficult. Even if there are lots of tutorials available, user need to have specific set of technical skills to work with Postman. Once they know it, QA is way easier than older methods.

ALPER K.

Information Technology and Services, 1,001-5,000 employees

Best Rest Service Platform for API Development

* For testing Rest Web Services, I can say that Postman is the best one in the industry. It make your development and testing much more easier than before.

Pros

* If you are using Rest Services, if you are testing it before the development stage on java, .net or for any other programming language, it's the Postman that you should use. You can use it for testing Rest Service as post/put/get/delete/options HTTP/HTTP(S) protocols and you can. make API development much more easier. * It's easy to use. * It makes development easier. * You can view output and inputs easily. * You can send JSON / XML and many type of datas for Posting / Putting services .(or you can receive;)

Cons

* I think debugging functionality should be provided at Postman

AU

Arslan U.

Computer Software, 1-10 employees

Postman a goto whether you are writing your own API, A Wrapper or testing APIs

Postman has grown quite mature over the years and is very much helpful in the life of developers especially the ones who had to code a lot of APIs or integrations. So I am very much satisfied with Postman. It can improve further but I am not going to consider any other tool or leaving postman anytime soon.

Pros

The thing that I liked the most about postman is that postman makes it easier to quickly test APIs while integrating them into applications as well as while writing my own APIs. Since they have introduced automatic code generators for common programming languages; it has even made it easier to quickly generate codes for the APIs within moments of testing those APIs. It kind of makes it easier for writing wrappers for REST APIs as well. You can even manage operations in workspaces so you can start exactly where you left.

Cons

Although postman has developed a lot over the past few years I believe it's still far from being perfect. It still has a lot of areas where it can improve. First of all, it's best for REST API testing but needs to improve for SOAP APIs. Secondly, it lacks Team and collaboration tools.

Javier S.

The best for TEST and DOCUMENT API

The organization that POSTMAN provides me is great, since all my requests are organized in one place. I can also create workgroups and share the information with my team. Another very useful functionality is automatic documentation. As I create the API requests, the documentation is automatically generated. This saves an invaluable amount of time since its design is nice and it is very understandable

Pros

It`s easy to create request and have clean interface. Free version has many great features like Collections, Documentation, MOCKS SERVERS, etc. Great for team collaboration.

Cons

It's feature to create mockups is confusing.. I always end up looking for another way to test. I recommend changing the way you change your development environment. It is a great tool but needs to improve the user experience

Mohit R.

Information Technology and Services, 1,001-5,000 employees

Postman Review

Overall I am very happy with the postman. It provides everything which helps to test the APIs and helps in the development of APIs. I have been using it from a long time and I have not found a single thing to complain about it.

Pros

Postman is a very useful tool for API testing. I have been using postman since my third year in college for testing the APIs created for the project and now I am using it in my job. Its user interface is very easy to use for beginners. Another feature that I like about postman is that it provides the functionality to collaborate with team members. And collection of APIs can also be created and that collection can be shared with other team members also.

Cons

I have been using the postman from a long time and I have not found any flaws in it. It does its work perfectly without any problems and helps to test the APIs for the project.