All categories

Learn why GetApp is free

SmartDeploy

Desktop management solution for IT teams

SmartDeploy Reviews

Pros

The support documentation is great and if needed, you can always reach out to their amazing support team.

Derrick H.

Read the full review
I also love that the licenses are perpetual. SmartDeploy has some more really need feature coming down the line that I am excited to start using such as the ability to deploy 3rd-party applications.

Mike B.

Read the full review
Its a good alternative to paying for some of the more advanced imaging solutions. If someone does not know how to capture an image this makes it very easy to run through the process.

Michael C.

Read the full review

Cons

I haven't had many problems with it. If you don't type everything in correctly in an answer file it can cause issues but that's more of a user error than a software issue.

John M.

Zack T.

Read the full review
I did run into a few problems where some of the driver packs caused blue screens on some of our units.

Zachary D.

Read the full review

Sometimes you find something that just works

SmartDeploy does exactly what we need it to do and our deploy operations can be as basic or as involved as we want them to be. The system saves us a lot of time and helps us standardize and maintain our images.

Pros

In the realm of utilities SmartDeploy is a breath of fresh air in that it handily does the job it was designed to do in a straightforward and reasonable fashion. IT would be a lot more fun if everything worked like SmartDeploy.

Cons

In certain cases the components of a package get baked into the package and if a component is updated the packages containing that component have to be re-edited in order to pull in the updated component/content. There should be a way to dynamically "refresh" packages when there is a component change. This is a small complaint that is easy to navigate, and I am sure SmartDeploy will add the "refresh" concept I am looking for at some point.

Great for all businesses, small and large!

10/10 I'll always use this product when I can and recommend it where I can. The support team was helpful every step of the way with every question I had along very fast response times.

Pros

Ease of use is by far the best thing about this product. From start to finish, continued use and alterations, it's just so simple. Someone without a deep understanding of computers and how deployments work could pick up this product and create their first image with little struggle at all.

Cons

The only con to Smart deploy would be creating a VM and capturing the first image. However, this was only a struggle because our current VM software was on the list that had special steps to take. But even that only was fairly simple if you set up VMs often and know a little about how they work.

Good product, poor service

sub par!

Pros

I like the cloud integration. The problem is that they don't really tell you how to finalize the cloud integration.

Cons

I dislike the lack of documentation. Then when you try to get customer support, it takes forever to get an issue resolved. It feels like you have to explain the issue in multiple emails before you get a response that actually help.

SmartDeploy Review

9.8 out of 10. Would highly recommend to any company looking to deploy systems quickly and easily.

Pros

The best features are the ability to quickly setup all components necessary for imaging your systems easily.

Cons

So far have had excellent success with the software and have only had 1 incident in which support did not fully resolve my issue.

Amazing Product!

SmartDeploy is amazing for our small school. I am the only one who does the imaging in our two buildings. With roughly 250 workstations between two different schools, SmartDeploy makes it so easy and user friendly to image!

Pros

I love that each model has a pre-built platform pack with all of the drivers included. It even goes so far as to flash the BIOS. What imaging software does that?!

Cons

I really have no complaints. Once I saw what SmartDeploy had to offer and how easy it was to implement, I was all in.

SmartDeploy Evaluation

Overall this tool has helped our Helpdesk immensely. Less time is spent on image-building and upkeep with this product.

Pros

Ease of use, Most Drivers updated automatically and the Imaging feature is very user-friendly. No need for additional software is a plus!

Cons

Would like to see more Built-in Reports.

Update the Drivers without Recreating the Image

I am amazed by how easy to use SmartDeploy. You have multiple options on how you can image a machine... Offline (via USB), Cloud or Remote deployment. Keep making us happy!!!

Pros

I love the idea that the Drivers are separated from the image itself. I can use the image to different brands and model computers (except Mac) and just either download the driver pack (ppk) from SmartDeploy or create your own. I started using their Cloud Deployment, and it is amazing. A user can download the 600Mb payload to a flash drive, boot to USB and voila... SmartDeploy will pull everything it needs from your Cloud Service (OneDrive for me). They have forums and videos that are very helpful.

Cons

I haven't seen anything I don't like about the product. No annoyance or instances that will scratch my head.

Smart Deploy

Big time saver

Pros

quick ability to deploy employee systems

Cons

taxes network resources when imaging multiple systems simultaneously

Wow - Amazed

Time reduction, Resources and Costs as well as improved efficiency and ability to deploy remotely are all benefits of your IT department.

Pros

Its just so easy and powerful, such a joy to use.

Cons

Nope. Nothing I can think of not at least right now, but im sure they will come up with something cool soon! Always do.

Smart Deploy for admins with little time

Super easy company to work with over all. All in all this software is for an admin that can't get sccm or doesn't have the time to setup WDS/MDT.

Pros

The driver packages aid a ton in getting this out. As long as you're using hardware that's common like Dell, HP, Lenovo they will have a package for you. Shockingly, they even have packages for servers as well. This is the part that can be frustrating when trying to do this by hand with WDS / MDT because you can come across hardware that has the same model number but have different chipsets or different audio controller. This takes the guess work out of all of that.

Cons

I wish deployment of custom apps and packages were better. Don't get me wrong you can do it, however you still need to find the slient switches your self and hope that the devs added something in for that. Failing that perhaps integration with autoIT scripts or a macro function of some kind to aid in deployment of apps that don't have this feature.

Good Product (Performs Better than Others)

Overall, it is a good value. The ability to connect it to the WiFi network without having to manual do it makes it worth it. Additionally, not having to worry about getting drivers as they have the most popular drivers within the library makes it better than other solutions on the market.

Pros

The product is easy to use and the ability to automatically connect to a WiFi network on deployment is a great feature

Cons

Sometimes devices do not get joined to the network for whatever reason. Also, you cannot have computers named in sequence upon deployment, instead they are automatically given random numbers. Unlike Acronis, which I could input computer names to be Laptop-Department{15} and it would named the computers Laptop-Department15, Laptop-Department16, Laptop-Department17, etc. SmartDeploy randomizes the number...

No Hassle Imaging

SmartDeploy as a company is very focused on this one thing, and as a result they are not getting sidetracked and overwhelmed. If there is any issue (which occasionally happens due to their striving to enhance the product), they quickly resolve the issue. Their tech support, has always been outstanding and very notably, they provided some highly-customized support to tackle a very unusual make/model we needed a special image for. I would choose SmartDeploy again in a heartbeat.

Pros

With budget cuts, we've had to stop doing massive system refreshes and are now purchasing smaller amounts of systems as funds become available. We are a Dell house, but due to the new purchasing strategy we are getting a more diverse set of Dell models. Fortunately, for us, SmartDeploy has allowed us to tackle that diversity by use a single common image for about 12 different models (which include...

Cons

Would like to be able to snap an image of an existing system and save for re-deployment. To my knowledge, that option has not been made available....yet.

Build a Virtual Machine then deploy to any hardware

Our company delivers software training and needs to deploy a single image to hundreds of machines multiple times a year. We primarily use offline USB deployment for this and it has worked extremely well over the past two years with very little issues or maintenance needed. We have a few dozen disparate sites and each site is maintained by a non-technical employee. They plug the USB drive into a computer and leave it alone for an hour. When they come back its fully deployed - like magic! This method offsets the installation of several software packages that would normally take several days. When deployment issues are experienced we ask the user to capture the logs and send them into SmartDeploy Support. They are incredibly responsive and helpful.

Pros

Being able to generate a single VM image and distribute it to hundreds of different computers (manufacturers and models) is revolutionary. Other software I've used requires you to have an image created on each type of physical hardware. This means you have to manage multiple images and have a spare of each type of computer just to maintain the system.

Cons

There are several deployment methods (USB drives, local network, cloud-based) that all work really well. When using the USB drive method, there isn't an easy way to update the boot software (e.g. WinPE) on the device or distribute new USB media. Shipping the USB drives works but is slow and expensive. Having the coworker at the remote office create a new USB drive is difficult because you have to walk them through installing the enterprise software which I don't necessarily want them to have access to. However, this is not undermining the huge benefits we see from using SmartDeploy.

Absolute time saver

Time saving, we are a Medical Center that is continually growing by purchasing smaller clinics and offices around us. Each time we acquire a new location I have to go in and replace all of their workstations to bring them up to date. I can image 10-40 workstations in no time and ensure each system is configure exactly the same. Time = Money.

Pros

I inherited this process from a previous employee who had left the company. Within just a short amount of time, having never used SmartDeploy before, I was able to update our VM and create a new image. It is awesome to be able to take a brand new computer out of the box, boot from a USB thumb drive and have our standard image installed automatically. Once our image is installed the PC is end user ready with all of the software they need to do their job. I can not imagine rolling out new computers without SmartDeploy.

Cons

Honestly, everything about SmartDeploy works for me as I need it to.

Deployment made easy

We came from a Symantec Ghost and then Clonezilla environment and everything was utterly hands-on and inconsistent and required the usage of an external hard drive that was always full and CDs. SmartDeploy brought us into the 21st century by making the deployments network-capable and able to be run from a dedicated workstation (could also use a VM but I am the only one really working with it for now). We are not using it to its fullest extent but have hopes of doing so as we grow with it. It's a great product for us

Pros

Our deployment system is consistent now Customer service is responsive when there are issues

Cons

We are a static IP shop and SmartDeploy is ideal for DHCP so we are not as able to use the unattended features but we have 350 PCs across our entire environment so it's not a deal-breaker at all Customer Service is in Portland and we're in Chicago - 2 hour delay if I have issues in the AM

Mass Deployment Made Easy

It has been a great experience for us and users working with this software. It has made troubleshooting, upgrading and deploying machines a breeze. I am in a business with 800+ machines and having the difference images for departments helps a ton. PXE and having a WDS boot image from SmartDeploy helps us and other areas of IT image on the fly whenever they need without using the console to push out.

Pros

- Easy setup - Works with virtual machines so you don't need to keep hardware around just for images - Can be used PXE with WDS - Differencing images to save space based on a main image - Can create disk or USB boot drives - Push images from the console remotely for clients. - constantly implementing updates and features for console - Great support

Cons

- License management for companies could use work (this is in the works for change)

SmartDeploy on College Campus

SmartDeploy has been a very appreciated resource in my department. As I'm the only one that creates/manages the images for all of the college-owned machines, it has made that part of my job much easier and more streamlined. Although I have had minor issues with the software in the year that I've been using it, the issues have been severely outweighed by the benefits it has provided. I haven't gotten...

Pros

Ease of capturing VMs and deploying images Platform packs user interface image management and connectivity to the images after deployment

Cons

lack of documentation regarding differencing images lack of documentation/training for folks newer to image creation/SmartDeploy software Have had issues installing the SmartDeploy application on secondary machines in the past

Best imaging software out there.

My experience with SmartDeploy has been great. If I have an issue which is rare and it's always ends up being my fault because I did something wrong or stupid ( hahaha) they have ALWAYS fixed any issue I have had very quickly. I have never worked with better support on a product!! I am always praising the support when I am trying to get our clients to buy the product or if I am demonstrating the software.

Pros

The ease of imaging computers makes my job so much easier, no hunting around for different drivers for each different manufacture we have. One image for all of our computers makes it simple, fast and reliable. I have some of our clients using it now due to me bragging about it constantly.

Cons

I have no cons that I can think of. That is rare with most software.

Ghost is a thing of the past....Smart Deploy is the future of imaging!!!

We have, literally, only been using Smart Deploy between 30-45 days (new to it all), but it has DRASTICALLY changed how fast we can pump out deployments of PC's. We had SO MANY issues with Ghost and their support was HORRIBLE!!! So far we have only had one ticket with Smart Deploy and they responded in a VERY timely manner and had an answer for us.

Pros

Complete ease of setup and ease of use. We love the fact that is now only takes us 6-7 minutes to image a PC for our company. The "no touch" and "click and go" functionality of the Smart Deploy imaging process is superb! Setting up and using a "reference" image to use on multiple platforms of hardware is a stellar part of the processes. I could go on and on and on.........JUST BUY THIS (and then shutdown your Ghost server!)!!!! It's the best thing you can have for an imaging solution for your IT department.

Cons

My team and I would like to see this software be able to keep data and programs in tact when we use it for upgrading purposes. We have a massive Windows 10 upgrade project that we need to accomplish before EoL of Windows 7 and this feature would save us time from having to run "manual" upgrades. I am sure I could come up with more idea's for this software, but I am pretty positive that Smart Deploy is already working on upgrades to this software.

My favorite imaging platform!

This is the second company I have introduced this product to and my technicians love the ease of maintaining, creating, and deploying images. Hands down better than all the other options out there.

Pros

This package is flexible. It is easy to deploy from Cloud storage, network, and USB drive. The platform packs save me the time of finding and preparing drivers for each model. Price is reasonable, too!

Cons

When updating the platform packs, any task customization has to be reinserted since it overwrites the entire package.

SmartDeploy Review

Support has been very quick to help with any questions along the way. The cloud deployment was very slow when I set it up last year. After this webinar, I may need to revisit this.

Pros

Easy of capturing images and deploying it to our clients.

Cons

License count is an area that I struggle with. We are not supposed delete clients unless we are confident that the device has been decommissioned. Honestly, I cannot be certain that a support tech in another country will not pull an old client off the shelf and reuse.

Good Platform

We are a MSP and deploy new PCs on a regular business. We tried several imaging methods and decided to go with Smart Deploy for its low cost and ease of use. We have greatly standardized our setups and in some instances, saved 6-8 hours of installing software.

Pros

Easy to use. Greatly reduces new PC Setup times, sometimes by several hours. Drives are included so we don't have to try and hunt them down. Custom driver packs are easy to create for one off custom built PCs

Cons

Extra steps to activate Windows after the image (We don't have Enterprise licensing) Requires LAN connection (I have heard Wireless is coming though)

Product work great

We have been a Smart Deploy customer for the last 5+ years and it definitely streamlined our ability build up systems, but also respond to system failures in a very timely matter. Very happy with the overall product.

Pros

The ability to create and deploy images across multiple platforms using driver packs instead of images with specific hardware is awesome. I used to have to keep images for each of our hardware builds. Now I just keep track of a few driver packs and all images become universal for all of our different systems.

Cons

Creation of platform packs for Individual mother board builds was not as easy as I had hoped, but found that default platform packs from my main vendor builds, were intelligent enough to let me load these images on motherboard builds as well. Worked out in the end.

Great Imaging Software for Large Deployment

Overall, I think this is a great imaging software. It is easy to use and very clean looking. It is a great product for a mid-size company and certainly is more than acceptable for our needs of nearly a 1000 machines.

Pros

This is a decent product for a mid-size to large company. If you run your company on just a few images, then this is the software you need. The pros are that it is very clean and simple looking and easy to use. Tracking of licensing, computers, and users are very easy. They provide frequent updates to keep up with constant Windows updates and the download client handles more than one user or admin.

Cons

The major cons I have with it is that it often conflicts with antivirus software and drivers do not always apply or are available.

Deployments made simple

I use SmartDeploy daily. This software allows me to customize my install packages for each type of PC I am deploying to an end user. The Driver package integration is excellent. Very well done.

Pros

Customer Service is super helpful. The software itself is excellently integrated to allow you to install and deploy as you would like to any PC you would like.

Cons

Not really about the software, but, that I had not found this software sooner.

Select your country

10+ YEARS RECOMMENDING SOFTWARE

Ā© 2010-2021 GetApp. All Rights Reserved.