Litmus Reviews

4.73/5 (22 reviews)

Kay Smoljak

The must-have tool for anyone developing or sending HTML email

Reviewed 2019-04-24

Simply put, I couldn't do email development without Litmus.

Pros
Over the past few years, Litmus has gone from a tool that is useful to have sometimes, to the place where I do most of my work each day. The screenshot testing is simple to use and super useful - you simply send an email to your special litmus email address, and within minutes get screenshots showing how that email renders in a range of email clients. Given the difficulties of HTML email development, it's an essential part of my workflow. The advent of Litmus Builder, however, really elevated my opinion of the service. Although I was initially reluctant to do all my coding in a web-based editor, the super streamlined code-test workflow that Builder makes possible has reduced my development time at the same time as the projects that I work on themselves have increased in complexity.

Cons
There are a number of ways that I think the interface could be improved, and there's always additions that could be made to the editor, but really Litmus has no serious competitors.

Anonymous

Litmus is one of the best out there for email previews

Reviewed 2019-05-01

Overall I have had great success learning how to get the most out of Litmus and I would recommend for just about any marketing and design group. This helps to preview email templates and design, and check through potential email issues prior to launching an email in real time - the overall benefits have been very helpful in generating the greatest email experience for our digital audience.

Pros
What I really like most is the ability to generate email previews across a number of different email clients, so that it helps to optimize the look and design of email templates - this has been super helpful for our marketing team.

Cons
There are a few features that would be nice to have included the basic subscription, such as the ability to test an html email for potential spam delivery - while it is a feature that we really like, we often feel like it should be part of the basic package in case we decide to go a level down in our subscription.

Byron Alday

Great product, multiple uses

Reviewed 2019-07-24

My teams use Litmus daily for creative routing, spam testing, and rendering tests. I am very pleased and would certainly recommend it.

Pros
The expanding functionality. We have made great use of the features Litmus has added such as the deliverability/spam testing and content review.

Cons
The mobile app is not great and you really need the desktop to get full experience.

James Widmer

The best platform available for inbox previews

Reviewed 2019-01-25

Pros
- Simple, powerful campaign approvals - Easy to use builder - Integrations with ESPs like Emarsys, SFMC, and others - Continually developing new features and enhancing existing ones (send tests directly from Litmus, proofs, convert checklist to builder, access post-rendered HTML, etc.)

Cons
- Cannot unsubscribe test email address directly within Litmus. Since we work on hundreds of accounts, we naturally forget to unsubscribe some test addresses. Our test addresses are probably subscribed to 20-30 mailing lists, and it is very time consuming to attempt to unsubscribe from those lists. This results in cluttered checklists and higher than necessary render counts. There should really be a quick unsub option on each checklist. - Spam tests are not quick to set up - Litmus Scope is an essential tool, but it is inconsistent and seems to be a largely ignored feature - No notification system for when campaign approvals are finished

Made my job easier

Reviewed 2017-01-19

After being thrust into my email coding career I would send test emails only to the email accounts I had (Yahoo, Gmail, AOL, Outlook). I was not confident in coding emails in the beginning so I started my search for a better way to test emails. Once I began using Litmus my coding life became less stressful and I became more confident when sending emails. I recommend Litmus for every email marketer. Litmus' resources have been a large contributor in helping me learn responsive design and coding. The Litmus community is a great place to have your coding issues answered or for you to help other coders with issues.

Pros
Email builder. Engagement, email clients, and geolocation analytics. Large selection of email provider previews. Spam Testing Community to have coding questions answered. Users Conference. Checklists to help make sure your email is sent without problems. Landing Page previews. Learning resources.

Russell Cragun

Must Have For Email Marketing

Reviewed 2018-08-24

I have been using it for 5 years now and have loved watching the company grow and get better.

Pros
Litmus is the best email marketing tool you can have. It gives you all the email previews you could ask for and then some. It has an editor built out just for developing emails and is implemented in most CRMs. Seriously worth the money.

Cons
I don't have anything negative to say about Litmus.

Anonymous

Everything you need for email development and testing

Reviewed 2019-01-08

Pros
Litmus' Builder is worth a subscription in and of itself, after building with this tool it'll be difficult to use any other solution.

Cons
I find the ability to organize emails and campaigns somewhat lacking. There is no option to create folders or depth for this.

Pooja S

Solid email building and testing tool

Reviewed 2019-07-18

Pros
User friendly builder Continuously improving based on customer feedback Great preview feature Analytics Checklist

Cons
Limited CAN-SPAM testing A few more metrics in analytics would be nice

Nick Wittenrood

The Way Email Should Be

Reviewed 2019-01-24

I've been using Litmus for over 5 years now, and it's an extremely helpful tool that I would recommend to every company that deals with email marketing. Knowing that your campaign is visually appealing across the board to your audience make a huge difference.

Pros
I love that it shows all devices (mobile and desktop) view of your email campaign and how they will render depending on that provider. This helps immensely when it comes to design, development and knowing the limitations.

Cons
Sometimes indiviual previews are down, but this is due to updating.

Hannah Hill

The best email tester on the market

Reviewed 2019-09-19

The best testing experience for emails, quite simple to get used to and mostly an accurate representation of emails.

Pros
It's test were VERY accurate and helped with my learning of developing with QA in mind.

Cons
Got the tests wrong from time to time, but is definitely the best of any email tester I have used

Great customer support

Used occasionally for free trial
Reviewed 2017-09-18

Pros
I made a mistake by signing up for a 'free' trail on litmus and misread some of the terms that came with that. One of them being that i would be signed up for a annual account costing me a considerable amount of money. However i missed this vital information since i was assuming this was a free/trail account. I contacted the support team of Litmus explaining my situation and they were very understanding and considerate. They said to refund my money and were sorry for the anxiety this mistake has caused me. Very helpful and very understanding. So for customer support i would give them a 10 out of 10!

Cons
Perhaps a little less use of the word ' free' during the sign up process. To prevent any mixups. You could also but a '*' after the word 'free' and clarify what 'free' in this context means.

Abby Hayes

Great Tool

Reviewed 2018-12-04

Great tool for learning to code email without worrying about messing things up.

Pros
As an email marketer, this is one of my favorite tools. We have a small marketing team with no real developer on staff. So it is great to have this tool as we learn and try new things without fear of breaking our emails in some inboxes.

Cons
We did have Litmus integrated with Marketing Cloud, but they upped their pricing out of our range.

Shilpa Shetty C

Evaluate your coding efforts across multiple devices

Reviewed 2019-04-28

We've used it for checking rendering issues for the emails that we design and code. My coder is heavily dependent on this tool.

Pros
Litmus has a great combination of all the devices and the multiple versions of devices that are most commonly used. We were able to fix all the rendering issues pretty quick.

Cons
It only shows what is wrong but doesn't suggest a coding fix for it. That would have been nice.

Travis McMaster

Litmus makes emailer easier

Used monthly for 2+ years
Reviewed 2019-07-27

Pros
I could not imagine getting through an emailer project without Litmus. To test your emailers, you can copy and paste directly into the tool, or it gives you an email to send them your emailer. Being able to email directly into Litmus is great! You can update the version of the emailer you're working on and send back to Litmus again and again. They let you pick from a wide variety of platofrms, which has been great when we've had clients with specific email programs.

Cons
Honestly, I have nothing bad to say about Litmus.

Anonymous

The best way to test emails across clients

Used monthly for 2+ years
Reviewed 2019-08-22

Email testing across all email clients and mobile devices.

Pros
Emails not consistently great across every email client? Litmus solves that. You can easily send a test email to them or copy/paste email code to see it render across all major clients.

Cons
It's a bit more expensive than their competitor, email on acid. It would be nice if it was native to an email tool rather than a separate tool.

A valuable Asset for Compatibility Testing

Used monthly for 1-2 years
Reviewed 2018-12-04

We now use it for testing any new email templates due to the having more options than anyone else we've looked at.

Pros
Litmus makes it VERY Easy to render your emails across a wide breadth of clients They also have a very nice Chrome Plugin for quick rendering

Cons
Lacks integration with our present ESP (Cheetah Digital)

Must have tool for Email Marketing

Used occasionally for less than 6 months
Reviewed 2018-12-21

Pros
Litmus is one of the best tools to test email copies before sending it to the mass recipients. It's trusted by the world's best companies. You can also design, build and test your emails at the same time with greater ease.

Cons
Pricing may be a concern for small enterprises like ours, but overall it's a wonderful tool and anyone spending for the premium account would definitely reap positive benefits out of it.

Making sure the Email is Perfect

Reviewed 2018-10-16

When sending out an email to over 4 million subscribers, it is important to make sure that the email has no broken links and that everything is aligned perfectly. Litmus helped us do just that!

Pros
Litmus makes it so easy to make sure that the emails that are being sent out are ready to be viewed by whoever opens them. No more mistakes by the random inbox.

Cons
The only con to litmus is how thorough it actually is.

Josh A

Great tool for testing emails

Used monthly for 1-2 years
Reviewed 2019-02-01

Pros
I primarily use Litmus for testing HTML email templates. They actually have a free tool you can use to test this.

Cons
No real cons for the platform but I've yet to explore all of the features.

Adam Antoszczak

Creating emails is much easier now

Used monthly for less than 6 months
Reviewed 2018-11-03

Pros
- Great tools for creating email templates - Online code editor with keyboard shortcuts on board. - A very large base of previews in different email clients. - Great blog with many tips, tricks, reviews and bits of precious knowledge.

Cons
It is not for small companies, as it is expensive in my opinion. But if you can scale your sales with emails this is definitely a tool for you. Online code editor has few annoying bugs, but nothing serious.

Andrea Lechner-Becker