AIM

Cloud-based point of sale (POS) software for retailers

visit website

AIM Reviews

Pros

The price point is very affordable and tech help has always been good Bryan is great at what he does.

PS

Phyllis S.

Overall we are very happy with AIM for our business. The tech support is awesome.

HV

Holly V.

I like the way that the system integrates multiple facets of the business into one tool. The company is very responsive to any questions and suggestions for updates.

MF

Mark F.

Cons

They make a sad effort to somehow combine P/O and Customer Order Processing while making both the COP features and the interface to A/P damned near unusable.

BH

Bill H.

If there is a problem after hours or on weekends, there is nobody there to answer those questions or fix those problems.

SG

Steve G.

SM

Sheila M.

Its really easy to make reports which is good for this type of software

Pros

I really like how you can easily generate reports, that's important for my business and I believe this software can do the best job of it.

Cons

I don't like that's a little clunky to use, but that should go without saying because this is super complex software we're dealing with here.

Pleased!

Overall we are very happy with AIM for our business. The tech support is awesome! They are always ready to help and super friendly. I love that they can remote in and show us what to do.

Pros

We have been using the contract module side of AIM for our instrument rental contracts to keep track of monthly payments since the beginning of our business in 2004. We pulled away for a brief stint to try another company and it was a disaster. The instrument rental contracts are the bread and butter of our business. If it fails, we fail. If the customer doesn't feel like they can trust us with their personal info because the system fails, we fail. It's a reflection on us. We came back to AIM in 2019 and went all in with the full point of sale system and we've never looked back. We highly recommend AIM.

Cons

We do wish that there weren't so many steps to follow. Seems like there is a huge learning curve to this program. Once you live it and breath it like it do it's one thing. But my employees tend to make mistakes often because they miss a step. And for example: having to get out of one frame and into another one for the same customer with a different question about their account is sometimes frustrating. Also. I really wish that an email went out immediately to my rental contract customers on autopay when their card is declined. The ability is there, as they receive an email immediately when the payment goes through, but not when it declines. This would help our collection dept out tremendously if this option was implemented.

Legacy database that our company is slowly replacing with more modern systems

Years of data can be searched through. We currently use it for recurring billing via credit cards for monthly rental and lesson tuition payments. Those recurring charges must be manually triggered every day though.

Pros

Does not have glitches or communication errors. Data that has been input stays there forever. Interface has never changed, ever. So if you are familiar with it, there is a comfort factor.

Cons

The user interface has very few, if any, task stream allowances or cross linking between data entry areas. The typical interaction with Aimsi requires starting from the home screen and navigating the "Module" you need, selecting the "Find," searching for the correct customer account, pulling up the relative info about them. Then... Restarting from the home screen, module you need to add or edit...

AIMsi Does it All (almost)

Been using the software for two years now, and it seems to provide a solution for everything. I wish there was a bit better integration across the different modules, such as allowing station rentals, short-term rentals, long-term rentals, and contract payments to all be made on the same checkout as regular sales orders, instead of needing to process them all at once. The payroll area also needs some...

Pros

Accounting Rentals POS Touchscreen support Integrated Credit Card Employee Management Membership Modules Integrated Gift Cards Inventory Control Invoice Management

Cons

The systems don't all share one checkout - each type of transaction (rental, station, contract payment, merchandise sale) must be rung up separately The payroll is not very robust

Great Softrware, and even better customer service

Pros

Three (3) years ago, as I was increasingly becoming frustrated with my previous POS system, I researched various options. In doing so, I discovered a software system called AIMsi, which is a Tri-Technical system. I was contacted by [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] and walked through the process and signed the agreement. Admittedly, navigating this software was a bit intimidating I became frustrated with...

Cons

sometimes the software can appear to be complicated gaining a understanding of its functionality helps

Very updated interface

Expensive!!!!! Time to "update" to the newest version? Expensive!!!!

Pros

Solid database. Features specifically designed for our industry like lesson billing, rent to own tracking

Cons

Crashes daily because it isn't fully compatible with newer versions of windows. Not easy to use at multiple locations. Requires arcane network setup like environment variables because you have to pay for a total number of "terminals." Very clumsy user interface because you have to start from the master look up process for every piece of data you need to enter. Autopays are only semi automatic because they only run when you tell them to and once again you have to start from the master look up screen multiple times to: generate an auto pay list with manually input dates, transmit the autopays, post the autopays, cancel the denied auto pays, print out a denied list. Lesson billing is usable yet clumsy, lesson scheduling is a joke.

AIMsi has more and more to recommend it as we learn more about it

Pros

This is a great POS for our instrument sale and rental business. There's just enough flexibility in it without having to do everything freeform. The more we use it, the more we learn about new ways that it can help us. And the support option is great. Their staff is very knowledgeable and has been of tremendous help to us on several occasions. We've used AIMsi for years already, yet we're still finding new ways that it can help our business. The designers seem to have anticipated most of the needs of a shop like ours. Whenever we decide we want to do something new, we find there is an option in AIMsi for exactly that. That's a great sign of a well-designed product.

Cons

There are a couple of features that would be nice to have (ability to refund an initial rental payment in the system, reverse an approval return, etc.), but they're just things that would be helpful to us specifically. The only other thing that we really find irritating at all is that the formatting on the straight-to-email option isn't really compatible with Gmail recipients, so the large number of our customers with Gmail get invoices and the like that are very difficult to read and not very professional-looking. We get around that by printing them to PDF instead, but it would be nice to have it work in one step.

Over all, VERY happy. Best all in one POS for Firearms Retailers

All in one POS for firearms retailer with the best pricing that WIL NOT break your bank!!

Pros

Lots to offer for the firearms retailer at eh best possible price compared to there competitors. We have been very happy with the system as a whole and although there is a lot to learn, support is just a call away. Having Bound Book linked right to your inventory is very helpful and there is even a delayed delivery choice in the POS for state like us in IL that require a waiting period for firearms purchases.

Cons

There is a lot to learn and many items/field we don't use, but can not simply delete. We have to work around them. For being such a gun based POS system, there are things that could use improving to keep retailers compliant. But every time we make a suggestion to support, it is taken in kind and it the modification can be made, they do it!

Best product available to Music retailers at this time.

Pros

That it captures customer info; examines things like staff sales, top customers, sales totals so I know how my business is growing.

Cons

the fees that you charge for anything extra that could support us.The fact that any type of webinar, workshop or video costs so much even though we pay monthly fees for support. I don't like the fact that even if we pay a monthly support fee we're screwed on the weekend if the system errors and you can't use it. paying an extra fee for the weekend seems like a another gouge. Not enough free tips and...

Our Support Manager spoke with Sharon and showed her how to look up the repair history on any serial number, and also stepped her through correcting her port number for emailing out of AIMsi.

Ok for small-scale non-ecommerce shops

It was a good starting point, but we outgrew this software within 2 years of starting the company. Our eCommerce portal was functional, but cumbersome.

Pros

The tracking data on products was quite helpful. Serial numbers were regarded as individual numbers with unique purchase order receiving data that could be cross referenced with customer service records and trade-in information. Backorder protocol for Purchase Orders is the one thing I do miss about this software.

Cons

Local server based. This made it very difficult to process transactions remotely (tradeshows, etc) or work remotely.

Phenomenal Experience

We were having problems remembering who put what in the system and if it got logged in correctly and whatnot. The ATF Compliant Bound Book completely mitigates that problem. The Technical Support team has been able to answer each and every question I've had, which is incredible, considering I've called them many times when I've in the middle of a process (both on the test system AND live system) I...

Pros

We have been utilizing the POS (Point of Sale) System, and it's very intuitive. You go through a couple test transactions, and it's like riding a bike. You can do it so quickly and effectively. We used the testing system and were able to play around it a lot without worrying about mistakes that will mess up your entire system. We have the label printer, the receipt printer, and the wireless scanner, and they have made our little gun shop look SO professional and streamlined. Gone are the days of handwritten receipts! We can now track customers to see what each person buys and can add notes and wish list items! The Bound Book is ATF compliant, and it has made checking the firearms in and out a breeze. We are going to be purchasing the PO module next, so I can't wait to implement that!

Cons

I can't really say there are any Cons...I would just say it is a bit of a learning curve and can be a bit overwhelming at first, but the support that is offered is just phenomenal.

Outstanding product and tech support!

Pros

The product I use has made tracking over 12,000 consigned items a manageable endeavor. In addition to the impeccable tech support I receive, the ability to track each and every product in the store, from intake to settlement, has made this business venture a pleasure. I probably only use 50% of the features, but those I use make my job easy. I can readily identify all pertinent information regarding...

Cons

There are times the system will crash if I have the SA Inventory, customer info, receive batch consignment, and the sales invoice windows open at the same time. There are times I need to have these available in the dynamic environment I've created, and the "Swordfish" errors can be a hassle. Also, there are some canned reports in the catalog that don't seem to work, and creating reports with the wizard is not the easiest or the most intuitive.

Great Customer Support

Our company spent a lot of time looking for a new POS system. After a ton of research we decided to go with Tri-tech. We could not be happier. Our Rep was very nice and not pushy. We've had the POS system for just about 2 years and my rep that sold me the system told me if I have ever need anything just to call him. I've held him to it and he has definitely kept his word. They're tech support has been...

Pros

The customer support was great. It seemed the easiest to use. We are not a big company and this seemed to work best for us.

Cons

Tech support is a little confusing. I described below, when you call customer support you talk to a different person. That can cause an issue because each person has a different way to fix the problem you're having.

aimsi review

It was hard to learn at first and I find my new employees have a bit more trouble with it than I like. Support is good but I have frustrations when CC processor and yourself throw the blame back on each other when resolving such problems. I think the separate module are a bit pricey unless you can catch a sale. And unfortunately I wish there was better online instruction to able to learn a new module....

Pros

customer contact capture and credit card processing .

Cons

modules priced individually and that updates aren't discounted for current customers.

One stop POS system

Pros

I chose AIM because it had everything I needed in one place. I am an old school small town music store. Retail sales, private lessons, rentals and repairs are all part of the store. AIM allows me to do all those things in one program. I can look up a customer and see history or whatever I need and it will all be there. I also like that I own the program and it is not a subscription based service. Customer support is very helpful and they can even customize the program for me. Highly recommended!

Cons

There is a lot going on in the program. It takes a long time to understand and get up and running. Don't expect to get it and be up and running in a day. Once you learn how to operate it you will be happy with it

One of the worst business decisions I have made.

We gained POS software with serialized inventory track-ability from this software, something that we were lacking with QuickBooks.

Pros

It can handle a lot of inventory and a lot of different skus. The POS module is decent as far as keeping track of a lot of customers and barcodes. If you do opt for this software, stick with the very basic POS module only.

Cons

There are sooooo many things.... First off, the platform itself is extremely outdated. The only people who like this software are companies who have been using it for more than 10 years and haven't tried anything newer. Our IT guy HATES it, and TriTech wants you to spend thousands of dollars on an old-school server set-up because it can't be set up with any sort of cloud system. One thing to keep...

It's a shame - good ideas, bad execution.

There are a lot of good ideas in this software, but things like a staff that's not on the same page, and a long-awaited refresh of their base tech keep AIMsi a frustrating software package. We stay because our lesson program is to big to be handled by any other solutions we looked at, but I would advise others to hold off until their promised rebuild is released.

Pros

Lesson management is good. Inventory management and sales are serviceable.

Cons

Built on outdated technology, which means the system will get slower and more bloated as your business grows. Simple ancillaries (like date lookup) require Googling to find outdated Microsoft files when you replace computers, and support won't have those files available. E-commerce is excruciatingly complex to execute; why must it be this complicated when options like Squarespace and Shopify exist?...

Great feature set and support. Very poorly implemented.

The product has features that no other has, especially for the musical instrument rental business. However, it is showing its age. The worst thing is that it wasn't written well even to standards that we had 30 years ago. (I started in the IT business in 1986.) I would recommend it, with a great many warnings, to a musical instrument rental or similar company, but absolutely not to anyone else.

Pros

The feature set for the rent-to-own business is good. So far as we have been able to discover, there is no other product at any price that supports our business. (If there was, I would be on it like a duck on a June bug.) The support staff is excellent!

Cons

I would have fired an experienced programmer or seriously chewed out a beginner 30 years ago if they designed a user interface that was so poorly implemented. You never know from screen to screen what you have to do to do a "find." Sometimes you have to hit Tab for the program to work, sometimes you have to hit Enter. The mere fact that in a good many places the programmers apparently elected to use...

After ten years, I work with the system reluctantly.

Pros

You can open the system multiple times on the same computer. In the middle of entering a sale, cust wants to try on a helmet or gloves, or just gets distracted; you can switch to another copy of the system until the customer is ready to continue. When using the computer to work on customer information or inventory, you can switch to another copy to verify or copy something. For instance, combining two customers into one, can copy email and then compare or enter.

Cons

The system is absolutely opaque, not intuitive, and byzantine. To deal with a product, it is impossible to find S/A Maintenance unless you know how to find it. Way too many arbitrary clicks and decisions to find anything in the system. Especially annoying is the inability to go back one level, if you make a mistake in these decisions; you have to go back to the beginning, and you might not even...

A Small Music Store's Best Friend

I used this software as a salesman at a local music store. It worked great to keep track of inventory (sales/ordering/receiving), salesman commissioning, time cards, and it made band rental season easy to manage.

Pros

It's very easy to use for all point of sale needs including transacting sales, sales history, band rentals, gear rentals, powerful customer account features, ordering and receiving. We used it to track salesman commissions and it worked great for that as well.

Cons

No real cons from a salesman/user perspective. It functioned to meet all of the needs of a small, local music store.

Great Functionality at a Great Price

Customers for 11+ years. We would not buy another POS product. We have premium support and receive excellent assistance

Pros

It has the capacity to handle all day to day activities. When used as it is designed, the software works flawlessly. The tech support is great.

Cons

When corrections are needed, some are not easily done without assistance. There are integrated correction options for common errors, making those much less troublesome. Note that terms and button functions are not universal across all modules.

Veritable Jack of All Trades Point of Sale application

With many small businesses operating more than one type of business in their store, the demand for more versatile point of sale programs increases and becomes difficult to find. Think about looking at software to purchase and realizing each software application only does a portion of what you need. Say you sell retail products, but you also want to help local artists and sell their merchandise on...

Pros

User Friendly Continually being developed and upgraded A true all in the box solution (point of sale, built in accounting program, built-in gift card program, contact management, B2B and C2B capable, and everything else a business needs to run the front, middle, and back office).

Cons

Aimsi software for music stores

We've been using Aimsi software in our music store for about 10 years now, and we couldn't live without it. It has streamlined our accounts receivable immensley, and made many other facets of our business much easier.

Pros

Cons

The hsitory search part of the service module has some limitations

AimSi helps to run our store

Have been using this program for about 25 years. It is a great program to run a music store. Plenty of other music store owners to share ideas of how to get the best out of AimSi

Pros

Really helps with the back room duties (accounting, inventory, planning, etc.). Great point of sale program. Bar coding is a must.

Cons

Getting quality support can be a challenge. Program has so many features that better documentation for using the features would help

My experience with AIMsi

We use an older version (v6.0), and I am very impressed with the features. I can only imagine how the newer versions must be. Unfortunately, previous employees didn't understand POS software and we are not using many of the features, as our database is really messed up from being misused over the years. We only use the Long Term Rental Contract features, and AIMsi does a great job. Very easy to use. I only wish it had been used properly from the beginning because it looks like it would save me a lot of work.

Pros

The interface is very easy to understand and use, and customer support is great. It is a feature-rich program, I only wish we had a newer version.

Cons

When printing statements, it prints old accounts with no address. Apparently there is no way to filter the ones with no address out so I have to manually remove them. Occasionally one slips past and they are returned to us by the Post Office.