AIM Logo

AIM

AIM Point of Sale Software Solution for specialty retailers.

AIM Reviews

4.1

Rating criteria

• Likelihood to recommend8.09/10

Reviews by rating

Tech support is there to help us out when there are questions. The training videos are full of good advice and very helpful hints to make the software work better for us.
Overall we are very happy with AIM for our business. The tech support is awesome.
I like the way that the system integrates multiple facets of the business into one tool. The company is very responsive to any questions and suggestions for updates.
They make a sad effort to somehow combine P/O and Customer Order Processing while making both the COP features and the interface to A/P damned near unusable.
The program has a lot of errors that causes it to shut down. Using the the inventory update Min/Max is confusing, especially with seasonal inventory.

TC

Tara C.

Phenomenal Experience

We were having problems remembering who put what in the system and if it got logged in correctly and whatnot. The ATF Compliant Bound Book completely mitigates that problem. The Technical Support team has been able to answer each and every question I've had, which is incredible, considering I've called them many times when I've in the middle of a process (both on the test system AND live system) I...

Pros

We have been utilizing the POS (Point of Sale) System, and it's very intuitive. You go through a couple test transactions, and it's like riding a bike. You can do it so quickly and effectively. We used the testing system and were able to play around it a lot without worrying about mistakes that will mess up your entire system. We have the label printer, the receipt printer, and the wireless scanner, and they have made our little gun shop look SO professional and streamlined. Gone are the days of handwritten receipts! We can now track customers to see what each person buys and can add notes and wish list items! The Bound Book is ATF compliant, and it has made checking the firearms in and out a breeze. We are going to be purchasing the PO module next, so I can't wait to implement that!

Cons

I can't really say there are any Cons...I would just say it is a bit of a learning curve and can be a bit overwhelming at first, but the support that is offered is just phenomenal.

BB

Bill B.

An overall great product

We moved from a custom AS400 program written for our company to AIM almost 10 years ago. We've been very pleased with AIM & never looked back. No program is perfect & they all have their little quirks, but we've been very pleased with AIM & have no interest in shopping for another platform.

Pros

There is a lot to unpack in this program, but once you've learned the system it's an all-in-one package & is fast, easy & efficient to use. Integration between our website, payment processing, shipping, etc. make our life easier. The program is constantly updated with enhancements & quality of life updates making the software faster & better to use. Tech support is very responsive to our needs & requests, development has made many changes to the software at our request to better fit our needs.

Cons

The Vortx web platform that integrates with AIM comes with a lot of limitations & the custom report tool is difficult to use. The SQL platform version 12 uses is powerful, but the hardware & software startup cost (SQL especially) can be high. There is not a good solution for working with products that are sold in both a physical AND digital format.

AB

Adam B.

Retail, 1-10 employees

AIM once the sale is made we don't care.

I have been trying for several years now to get this company to finish installing the software with all paid for data transfers. AIM tech support Has been supposedly working on entering my inventory for about four years now. Every time I call I get the we supplied the software so that I owe for it even though it is totally unusable without my inventory and bound FFL book installed. And just because I paid for extra for data transfer to make the program usable does not mean that that AIM has to actually do it (simple Excel format) Tech support is useless as none of them have done their job yet. I am going to have to take the time away from my business to take these crooks to court.

Pros

Looks like if it worked it would be nice.

Cons

The way it just sits there with no data for the last several years waiting for AIM software to finish their job. The fact that I was charged for software and data transfer and received software without data transfer so it is useless. I have been waiting so long it was called AIMsi when I bought it.

JL

Julio L.

Retail, 1-10 employees

Great Softrware, and even better customer service

Pros

Three (3) years ago, as I was increasingly becoming frustrated with my previous POS system, I researched various options. In doing so, I discovered a software system called AIMsi, which is a Tri-Technical system. I was contacted by [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] and walked through the process and signed the agreement. Admittedly, navigating this software was a bit intimidating I became frustrated with...

Cons

sometimes the software can appear to be complicated gaining a understanding of its functionality helps

CK

Carl K.

Sporting Goods, 11-50 employees

Great Customer Support

Our company spent a lot of time looking for a new POS system. After a ton of research we decided to go with Tri-tech. We could not be happier. Our Rep was very nice and not pushy. We've had the POS system for just about 2 years and my rep that sold me the system told me if I have ever need anything just to call him. I've held him to it and he has definitely kept his word. They're tech support has been...

Pros

The customer support was great. It seemed the easiest to use. We are not a big company and this seemed to work best for us.

Cons

Tech support is a little confusing. I described below, when you call customer support you talk to a different person. That can cause an issue because each person has a different way to fix the problem you're having.

AM

Amanda M.

Music, 11-50 employees

Easy to use for the non-techy.

If really good. The customer service cannot be beat!

Pros

It is the app that we use for every aspect of our business. From POS to inventory control we have it all in one place. The straight forward menus and feature with in each module is user friendly.

Cons

I do feel that the system is a little over complicated with so many pop up windows. Also, tranactions seem to have too many steps for simple procedures.

NK

Nancy K.

Great Functionality at a Great Price

Customers for 11+ years. We would not buy another POS product. We have premium support and receive excellent assistance

Pros

It has the capacity to handle all day to day activities. When used as it is designed, the software works flawlessly. The tech support is great.

Cons

When corrections are needed, some are not easily done without assistance. There are integrated correction options for common errors, making those much less troublesome. Note that terms and button functions are not universal across all modules.

Sheila M.

My experience with AIMsi

We use an older version (v6.0), and I am very impressed with the features. I can only imagine how the newer versions must be. Unfortunately, previous employees didn't understand POS software and we are not using many of the features, as our database is really messed up from being misused over the years. We only use the Long Term Rental Contract features, and AIMsi does a great job. Very easy to use. I only wish it had been used properly from the beginning because it looks like it would save me a lot of work.

Pros

The interface is very easy to understand and use, and customer support is great. It is a feature-rich program, I only wish we had a newer version.

Cons

When printing statements, it prints old accounts with no address. Apparently there is no way to filter the ones with no address out so I have to manually remove them. Occasionally one slips past and they are returned to us by the Post Office.

MH

Megan H.

Retail,

AIMsi has more and more to recommend it as we learn more about it

Pros

This is a great POS for our instrument sale and rental business. There's just enough flexibility in it without having to do everything freeform. The more we use it, the more we learn about new ways that it can help us. And the support option is great. Their staff is very knowledgeable and has been of tremendous help to us on several occasions. We've used AIMsi for years already, yet we're still finding new ways that it can help our business. The designers seem to have anticipated most of the needs of a shop like ours. Whenever we decide we want to do something new, we find there is an option in AIMsi for exactly that. That's a great sign of a well-designed product.

Cons

There are a couple of features that would be nice to have (ability to refund an initial rental payment in the system, reverse an approval return, etc.), but they're just things that would be helpful to us specifically. The only other thing that we really find irritating at all is that the formatting on the straight-to-email option isn't really compatible with Gmail recipients, so the large number of our customers with Gmail get invoices and the like that are very difficult to read and not very professional-looking. We get around that by printing them to PDF instead, but it would be nice to have it work in one step.

Sharon M.

Retail, self-employed

Best product available to Music retailers at this time.

Pros

That it captures customer info; examines things like staff sales, top customers, sales totals so I know how my business is growing.

Cons

the fees that you charge for anything extra that could support us.The fact that any type of webinar, workshop or video costs so much even though we pay monthly fees for support. I don't like the fact that even if we pay a monthly support fee we're screwed on the weekend if the system errors and you can't use it. paying an extra fee for the weekend seems like a another gouge. Not enough free tips and...

Our Support Manager spoke with Sharon and showed her how to look up the repair history on any serial number, and also stepped her through correcting her port number for emailing out of AIMsi.

RB

Roger B.

Retail,

After ten years, I work with the system reluctantly.

Pros

You can open the system multiple times on the same computer. In the middle of entering a sale, cust wants to try on a helmet or gloves, or just gets distracted; you can switch to another copy of the system until the customer is ready to continue. When using the computer to work on customer information or inventory, you can switch to another copy to verify or copy something. For instance, combining two customers into one, can copy email and then compare or enter.

Cons

The system is absolutely opaque, not intuitive, and byzantine. To deal with a product, it is impossible to find S/A Maintenance unless you know how to find it. Way too many arbitrary clicks and decisions to find anything in the system. Especially annoying is the inability to go back one level, if you make a mistake in these decisions; you have to go back to the beginning, and you might not even...

BH

Brian H.

AIM Review

Overall it is very good. [SENSITIVE CONTENT] in tech support has been our go-to guy. He has been extremely helpful especially when it comes to the scheduling module. He has been willing to test issues that we have come across and implement changes to the software. I personally can't thank him enough for his patience and willingness to continue to work with us to make the scheduling module the best it can be.

Pros

We decided to go with AIM because it was an all-in-one POS system. We have retail sales, charge accounts, repair tickets, lessons scheduling and rentals/payment plans. To have all of that in one system was the most important to us. We also did not want a subscription based software. We wanted to own the product. That was a close second in importance

Cons

It can have it's issues. It takes a long time to understand how things work.

Sharon M.

aimsi review

It was hard to learn at first and I find my new employees have a bit more trouble with it than I like. Support is good but I have frustrations when CC processor and yourself throw the blame back on each other when resolving such problems. I think the separate module are a bit pricey unless you can catch a sale. And unfortunately I wish there was better online instruction to able to learn a new module....

Pros

customer contact capture and credit card processing .

Cons

modules priced individually and that updates aren't discounted for current customers.

RG

Ron G.

Retail, 11-50 employees

Retail software

We started as a small company in 2004 using Quickbooks. Then I hired a developer to develop a product for retail, rental processing and inventory control. After a year and $50,000 later that failed. AIM was discovered and did everything that we needed. Those were bad times during all of this. Their software is greatness. the support is 100% perfection. These guys are obsessed with solving a problem and do take care of any needs. There is a 60 day period that you will deal with using the software until you are proficient with it. After that you will be very happy. The option of a second web hosting company is a real downside and expensive.

Pros

Cons

They are limited with only one web hosting company that is not good. This company is very expensive and a security liability.

AZ

Aaron Z.

Amazing POS Software

Problems we have solved with AIM is Inventory control. We have been able to control inventory very well with being able to do spot checks, yearly and mid year inventory.

Pros

The features to our store that is most impactful is the Rental Module. Our music store thrives from rentals and the use of having the contracts and payments all set up through AIM is so easy and finely setup to use.

Cons

If anything for me it would be the smallest things such as getting the barcodes to be bigger. In essence the ease of being able to fix the barcodes that are being printed on the labels themselves

MT

Mark T.

Cardinal Percussion Mark Tirabassi

AIM over has been good not great. [SENSITIVE CONTENT] has been the reason I feel we can make it work.

Pros

I like that it seems customized for the music industry.

Cons

Lang in correcting system issues. Not being able to request a specific Support Tech and the Support Tech not being able to call me. I really think [SENSITIVE CONTENT] is amazing. Super helpful and knows the product. You have a gem and I would highly suggest that AIM take the steps to secure him long term.

DS

Del S.

Music, 1-10 employees

Aimsi software for music stores

We've been using Aimsi software in our music store for about 10 years now, and we couldn't live without it. It has streamlined our accounts receivable immensley, and made many other facets of our business much easier.

Pros

Cons

The hsitory search part of the service module has some limitations

JS

Justin S.

Sporting Goods, self-employed

Great Software

Aim has been very helpful with helping manage my inventory better than I ever could with other simple solutions. I'm very happy that i decided to use Aim for my Store.

Pros

The software is great with all the different features that it has and offers. I particulary like the reports function that allows me to generate my inventory, sold items, and sales tax reports.

Cons

The system was very easy to setup and intigrate with. There's a lot of functions that the software offers. You certainly need to take a lot of time during the setup to learn about the functions.

TB

Teddy B.

Wholesale, 1-10 employees

Experience with Aim

Overall experience with Aim has bee satisfactory.

Pros

User friendly, tech support is good and a fair price.

Cons

Integration with previous inventory got messed up and we had to do much more work to get corrected.

AE

Andrea E.

Music, 1-10 employees

Not at all user friendly

Auto-pay feature

Pros

Once you get the hang of AIMsi, everything is trackable. There is never any question about inventory, if or when a payment went through, or who still owes money. The auto-pay feature is also very beneficial.

Cons

AIMsi is way too difficult to use. It takes longer than necessary to understand and get used to. It crashes if you leave it alone for too long, and automatic payments aren't actually automatic - you have to go through a whole process to run stored cards, and you have to REMEMBER to do it.

MJ

Mary J.

Used other for less than 6 months

Too Much Work

The sales staff is very eager to show how the program works, but they do not tell you about data entry required, that there is only one check template, and that other parts of their program cannot be customized. The rental and lesson modules cannot be turned off, and having to enter tax by zip code is a tedious job that is unnecessary. Other accounting programs will do this automatically. Overall, the program has great features, but if we had not spent money on it, I think I would have knuckled down and gone with QuickBooks, and I hate QuickBooks.

Pros

Integrates POS, AP, AR, inventory, and invoicing, all in one program. They offer complete training and on-site set up, for a price.

Cons

Too much data entry to set up, which they do not tell you. I had to enter: categories (in a specific format, which I had to develop) and tax by zip code (California has over 2700). In addition, their 'conversion' consists of you putting your information in their template, and them writing a subroutine that will insert it into their program. If we had needed multiple stores, or did rentals, then it...

MS

Michelle S.

Scheitel's Music Review

Grant was very helpful and solved my problem today and he was friendly.

Pros

That if I have questions I can call a tech and they are able to help me.

Cons

That in my version, I'm not able to do everything that I want to do without paying more money which I don't want to pay at this time.

LR

Lance R.

Music Biz

overall very good product

Pros

functionality and ease of use plus great customer service!

Cons

Too many updates. If it is necessary to implement updates every week or so... Can you set the system to do automatic updates?

JR

Jessica R.

Used other for 1-2 years

Poor support, lost data,

There is little help for setting up the system. There are so many options, that it was hard to set up. When I called to get help, they wanted to charge me more than I already paid for tech support or they wanted to charge me to have someone fly out and set it up for me. When I had problems, they made me feel like I should know everything they do about computers. After having the system for over 2 years and trying to make it work, losing all my data and having to start over and paying for their top tier tech support the whole time so I would not loose any updates, I have given up. I spent thousands of dollars on software, hardware and tech support and then found out this system that I never even rang a single sale on, cannot be transferred to another buyer.

Pros

It was manufactured by a small company so I thought the support would reflect that.

Cons

The system crashed a few times. It is difficult to learn. The support was not great.

PS

Phyllis S.

Arts and Crafts, 11-50 employees

Johnson's Sewing Centre

I have been working with Aimsi since 2005 and my #1 wish would have Canadian Payroll as part of the program. The Lesson module is geared only to music lessons, not for use with sewing and quilting stores. Even though the program is marketed to sewing and vacuum stores the Lesson Module doesn't work well. The purchase order module could be made better committed and in committed orders are confusing,...

Pros

The price point is very affordable and tech help has always been good Bryan is great at what he does.

Cons

Needs to have a more modern look and feel, and could be made more efficient, maybe being able to have windows open, when you generate a report you can not minimize the report and generate a second one without launching another Aimsi window this uses unnecessary server resources. Social media links and the ability to link to a website/e-commerce that you have built would also be nice.