Adobe InDesign Reviews

Suggested alternatives

flipsnack
award-force
the-magazine-manager

We love creating simple, clean, and engaging templates that our team can use for quality control. The links features makes sure every placed image is up to date and allows us to have better workflow.
Used InDesign for many years, both before and after the Adobe Creative Cloud subscription platform. An excellent program, always improving.
Also we have issues with users who are on different versions - this usually corrupts the file. In addition to this users do find they get locked out of the file and this means work has been lost.
These inconsistencies irritate me because I have to continuously halt and consider which program I'm using.
And at the beginning you lose a lot of time and you can get annoyed because you don't know how to undo some mistake you made.

Simon S.

Director Of Technology

Education Management, 51-200 employees

Adobe InDesign User Review

Transcript

Simon: Hi, I'm Simon. I am a Director of Technology. Today, I'm giving Adobe InDesign five out of five...

Joshua W.

Printing, self-employed

An Underrated Software That's the Real Money Maker

For me, Indesign is a life-changing software that has enabled me to reach not only my goals but my dreams of publishing a full-blown magazine. I have sent over 2 million files to print, every one of them created in Indesign. It's my bread and butter.

Pros

Photoshop gets all the attention but Indesign is the unsung hero of the print design world. It doesn't get the viral tutorials or talked about much but it's the real money maker in my opinion. I have mastered this software and with every job I get, it becomes the backbone. Assembling complex PDFs for online distribution or creating magazines or even large format print documents. I simply love Indesign. The recent round of updates is amazing and really improves the overall experience. I have always loved how it perfectly balances complexity and simplicity. It's my babe. All the other designers come to me for Indesign needs because they skipped over it. A shame, but I don't mind as it keeps the money coming in.

Cons

I can't find a complaint. The only issue was how small the interface was, has now been corrected in this last update.

Public Relations and Communications, 11-50 employees

Adobe InDesign: your ace in the hole for your layouts

Overall it is the best page layout program in existence: convenient, practical, with any functionality and ability to add hyperlinks and videos, so exporting interactive formats, it is super!

Pros

Especially in case you are a designer, art director or graphic designer: you can't be unfamiliar with Adobe Indesign. With him all your publishing projects can come to life; you can typeset, books, brochures, business cards, in short anything that can be printable, but not only that! Also formats for digital, so you can work in both RGB and CMYK on any format on want and with any file to be integrated within it: png, jpg, psd, whatever!

Cons

Sometimes, like all Adobe programs, it might shut down unexpectedly because it takes up so much space with RAM it sometimes crashes, it happens infrequently, but when it does you can not worry most of the time because the program always saves a recovered file from your last job.

Aleksandar D.

Media Production, 1-10 employees

The most versatile and the most feature rich DTP application - but do you really need all that

Never, never had any problem or issue. All job done with the perfect precision.

Pros

Adobe inDesign is professional standard - must have application if you work in DTP industry. Even you dont make final prepress in inDesign, you have to have one working place with inDesign, because most of clients will send their creations in inDesign .indd format. And, there are no job or task you cannot complete with inDesign.

Cons

inDesign as solo application is not solution for business. You need additional photo and vector drawing tools, and then we come to Adobe Suite... and we then come to subscription ... and prices ... and ... there are no cheap way to runaway from Adobe ecosystem anytime in future.

SR

Stéphanie R.

Arts and Crafts, 11-50 employees

Indesign review

Pros

All the necessary tools to edit and create documents are available in this software.

Cons

I'am totally satisfied of Adobe Indesign

Higher Education, 5,001-10,000 employees

InDesign is the Premiere Document Layout Tool

I have been using InDesign for over fifteen years and have used it to successfully design everything from reports and infographics to album and novel covers. After learning it once, it remains intuitive and powerful--it is the only document layout tool I've used where I am able to create whatever design I can imagine. It has earned me plaudits for good design and clarity of communication. Above all, it has enhanced the professionalism of the materials I produce, always making the information contained therein clearer.

Pros

InDesign is the most powerful and fully featured document layout tool available. It provides flexible, easy to use layering that enables advanced overlays and far more complicated designs than are possible with a more traditional layout tool. What's more, with a wide variety of font types and masking tools, the sky is the limit for making professional looking documents. It is flexible enough to lay out everything from infographics to multi-column reports to covers and posters. Plus, it brings the power of the Adobe Suite through integrations with Photoshop, Illustrator, and more.

Cons

There are few features I've encountered that are missing for InDesign. That said, the learning curve for can be steep for someone who has no experience with design products, particularly those of the Adobe Suite. That said, Adobe provides ample learning resources so that users can get up to speed fairly quickly. InDesign integrated seamlessly into our report production workflow, so I fully recommend it.

Cushi M.

E-Learning, self-employed

Used monthly for 2+ years

A great tool for experienced designers to create beautiful, highly custom print or digital documents

Generally, I enjoy working with this software. it allows me to work between Photoshop and Illustrator while using it in a seamless way, which is essential for my workflow when designing. It's feature rich and has more than everything you'd need to create exceptional designs for things such as: portfolios, information packages, pitch decks, business cards, and more.

Pros

I like that this program easily integrates with Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator making importing of files exceptionally easy, even if the file is currently open in one of those other programs. I also love the simplicity of the drag and drop editor, the various views that show guides or print preview while working, the comprehensive keyboard shortcuts, and the straight forward PDF export process. I'd highly recommend this program to designers, but if you are a solopreneur without design experience looking for a graphic design solution that you can utilize yourself, I'd suggest Canva as the learning curve is less steep

Cons

I am completely frustrated that there is no way to allow the color picker to work like Photoshop's. Also, the color swatches should work as simply and easily as they do in Photoshop as well. Instead they are complex and not the least bit intuitive.

Robson G.

Architecture & Planning, 1-10 employees

The Adobe product for editorial design

Indesign has been useful for some editorial design I have made on my career.

Pros

Indesign is interesting because of leaning on editorial design and that makes it the best option among Adobe products, to edit pages for a book, compound the frames of a sheet, and a lot more.

Cons

Its features is limited to edition for frames and pages.

Ángel C.

Education Management, 1,001-5,000 employees

Used monthly for 2+ years

InDesign - Printing efficiency defined?

InDesign is outstanding. It saves so much time when you need to fit pages, trim pages, adjust designs, etc. Picture this: it's 10 pm, you need to have that magazine ready by 00:00, but the articles are still being reviewed. But if you have InDesign, you still have plenty of time. The designer can be working on the layout while editors are reviewing the content. And the program is so efficient that you're going to have the magazine done and ready to be printed by 11:59 pm.

Pros

InDesign is SO efficient. This software speeds up productivity so much that it can help you turn hours of adjusting the pages of any kind of publication you're trying to make: whether it's a bulletin, a magazine, a poster... to minutes! Plus, it has a really friendly user interface, which makes it a really comfortable software to use.

Cons

Although it's GUI is really friendly, it can be difficult for new users to start. Training (or qualified personnel) may be necessary. And, as it's another marvelous Adobe program, this software belongs to that really expensive group. Though it can easily compensate for that.

Nonprofit Organization Management, 201-500 employees

Some aspects uniquely InDesign and very good at that

Not the best online collaboration but some aspects are very good

Pros

Our monthly newsletter requires weekly updating by team members capturing their respective activities and this requires some sort of online collaboration and editing. Adobe InDesign is a perfect tool for this as we have often used the track changes feature. This allows us to track each user with a predefined color which makes it easy to know what was edited and by whom. The color feature and role in track the changes enables us to do a follow on with the team member on changes made for clarification and enhancements.

Cons

Our biggest frustration with this kind of collaboration has been due to disappearing or unavailable fonts typekit which are unique to our document. This occurs often and very annoying.

Carolina C.

Design, 5,001-10,000 employees

the best program for complex layouts

Pros

What I like the most is the possibility to adapt your designs easily and above all the printing advisor, which allows you to print booklet type copies in a very easy way.

Cons

The only downside is the price of the license, but I think that for professionals who need to make complex compositions it is worth every penny.

JH

Jennifer H.

Events Services, 11-50 employees

Design Solution

Adobe is hard to get support from, but you can always Google and get answers.

Pros

I love being able to integrate graphics and images easily into layouts with linked graphics/fonts easily packaged.

Cons

I have no complaints! I love InDesign!! I have used it as a designer for over 25 years and will until I no longer design. Best layout software ever!

GG

Gentian G.

Design, 11-50 employees

The best Layout editor

In someone’s graphic design career, Adobe, in general, is a must-have, and InDesign is one of the three main pillars of Printing Design. Highly recommended.

Pros

In its overall professionalism, what I like the most is the way InDesign handles multiple pages, all kinds of elements, photos, graphics, etc. all that through the impeccable link managing.

Cons

I don't think there’s something to improve. It is as good as I want. Period.

KR

Kristin R.

Nonprofit Organization Management, 51-200 employees

Layout and Design in One

I love InDesign and will use it for almost all projects for print.

Pros

I love the layout functionality of the entire program. You can design a brochure, business card, postcard, booklet, white paper, etc. all in the same program.

Cons

You can import Word files easily BUT you have to do major clean-up on them after via fonts, colors, etc.

RS

Rodger S.

Retail, 501-1,000 employees

Adobe InDesign review - No More Corel

Easy for others to use and make changes.

Pros

Ease of use and cross functionality between programs

Cons

Not their fault but there are so many options and variables...just takes awhile to learn

KL

Kristan L.

Architecture & Planning, 1,001-5,000 employees

Used monthly for 2+ years

InDesign is the best way to create beautiful presentations

InDesign helps our company produce stunning presentations which make use of InDesign's ability to combine a whole range of visual outputs from different programs into one unified platform. It is highly adaptable for different purposes and always produces great results.

Pros

This software has been my go to for presentations for nearly 10 years. Vastly superior to PowerPoint in its ability to import, customise and maintain the highest quality of export with the most control. InDesign provides the platform to combine all the content produced across the Adobe suite and beyond into a unified, well structured presentation.

Cons

The ability to work intelligently with auto features such as autocorrect, content recognition and generative options that could aid the design of various documents. I'm aware some of this is existent but could be more obvious to use.

BM

Barry M.

Plastics, 201-500 employees

A great program for print design and layout

Pros

Indesign has just about every tool you'd need to create any type of print layout. I've done simple cards all the way through complete books and Indesign fits the need very well.

Cons

Like other Adobe software, there is a pretty big learning curve, and it is EXPENSIVE.

Design, 1-10 employees

Still Worth Every Penny

I am more than happy with Adobe InDesign. I love that Adobe is constantly innovating, which makes me feel content with the subscription model. For a few years I had been more comfortable with the idea of purchasing actual software (back when it came in a physical box!), but the hassle of having to buy new software every couple of years got old. In this technology age, we as professional designers have to stay on top of innovations, and Adobe keeps the tools updated so I can in turn innovate in my creative field.

Pros

I have been using InDesign on a daily basis ever since Adobe donated software to my student-run college newspaper in 1999. That donation opened the door to exploring a world of print layout that I never knew existed, and eventually led to a career in graphic design. InDesign is the main tool in my tool belt, and without it I would have a different occupation altogether. Some people like to complain about the price point, but when you consider a) the value it provides creatives as a tool b) the innovation required by Adobe over decades to produce and constantly refine the software, and c) the lack of a comparatively robust or functional alternative for the design professional, it's a wonder that it's as cheap as it is.

Cons

I wish InDesign had a chart-making tool. Illustrator has one, but it is in dire need of updating.

Melanie S.

Graphic Design, self-employed

As a graphic design student...

I am very happy, I hope that every year they get better and better, and that this program reaches its full potential. Thank you Adobe.

Pros

I'll just be honest, I'm in love with Indesign, thanks to this program I found my passion for editorial design. I don't understand how many people don't like to use it, or simply aesthetically speaking, it doesn't appeal to them. For me it is the opposite, I am very happy with the way it is organized, visually it has a clean and spacious look that does not interrupt you with what you are designing, I like the default work tables, the tools you have to streamline the work of the layout designer, etc. 10/10

Cons

I don't like that automatically the quality of the images is lower than the original, because it is difficult to know if the image is like that because of performance or because the image is really in very low quality, but I understand that it is a way to speed up the performance of the file.

BV

Bojana V.

Perfect for Creating Digital Content

As a graphic designer, I use Adobe InDesign daily and it gives me all the tools needed to create beautiful layouts. It's perfect for creating content like flyers, brochures, posters, newspapers, presentations, ebooks, and any files, whether they are digital or printable use.

Pros

I am a creator of digital files, mostly digital planners, and using Adobe Design has helped me a lot to speed up the creation process. It's one of the best multi-page design software. Large files with over 500 pages and over 1000 hyperlinks can be easily created using master pages, which further simplifies the whole process. As the paperless era begins to take hold, InDesign has followed up with a series of interactivity features that allows the production of digital books, magazines, invitations, or any other format. I have a lot of experience using InDesign for interactive documents, and it does offer some impressive features that allow me to create animated documents complete with audio and video.

Cons

I have no complaints about the software and how it works. I like to use InDesign, but maybe the only complaint would be that it has a monthly fee. I'd rather pay once.

M Choiril R.

Design, self-employed

Layout magazines & books so much easier

Overall I am very comfortable using this, although at first, it was difficult to learn to understand this software. But as I worked on many tasks, I finally got used to it and there are so many amazing features of this software. My layout work is faster and easier because it is assisted by Adobe InDesign software

Pros

At first, I was confused about using this software, starting from the previous generation, namely Adobe Pagemaker. But since switching to InDesign it started to feel better. Because of the pressure factor for the need to serve layout jobs that take up a lot of pages, this software is very suitable for use. I got a lot of new experience from this software when I was still working at a publishing company, where I was introduced to various very useful features including Paragraph Style, Multiple Master Pages, Kerning, Leading, and how to export files to make the size lighter.

Cons

Because this software has many very advanced features, finally for most people, especially beginners, it is very difficult to adapt at the beginning. Many of the beginners gave up learning this software.

CN

Christian N.

Publishing, 51-200 employees

Graphic design tool always ahead of the competition

Very good experience

Pros

Advanced, rich features that fit every industry needs any time for all designers, artists, influencers etc... Its user interface is high quality and user-friendly. InDesign works on all operating systems. It's cloud-based, which facilitates continuity from any device and allows collaboration among team members. Works harmoniously with all abode applications.

Cons

Priced at bit higher. It's feature-rich but this comes as consequence because it's relatively heavy and can take a bit longer to load.

Design, self-employed

InDesign Review

Pros

What I like most about using Adobe InDesign is its precise control over typography and layout, allowing for intricate, professional-grade designs. Its seamless integration with other Adobe applications ensures smooth collaboration and a comprehensive creative ecosystem.

Cons

What I like least about Adobe InDesign is its resource-intensive nature, leading to occasional slowdowns, especially when handling large files. Additionally, the software's complexity can be overwhelming for novices, often necessitating extensive training to harness its full potential.

Dunnecia M.

A Presenter's Choice

The program does work effectively and helps one present their designs is a suitable and structured manner to aid in looking professional.

Pros

The program makes developing, editing and presenting something a whole lot easier. It has all the features needed to accomplish whatever design project one may have in mind to a great extent.

Cons

Besides the price tag attached to using Adobe products and their learning curve, this program falls short when it comes to properly editing images and editing certain shapes. So it is a little restrictive given certain perimeters which forces you to use their other programs.

FC

Fabrizio C.

Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 11-50 employees

Good impagination software

Good for create catalogues, leaflets and other documents.

Pros

Good functionality, easy to use the main functions, quick export results. Easy user interface (the same in years and years).

Cons

There are some bugs and no multicore support... We are in 2023 and this software often is very slow to open and modify pages and images... sometimes crashes. Adobe realese to many versione 2021,2022,2023 and this create confusion to manage files and so on

Jacob G.

Marketing and Advertising, 1-10 employees

What everyone uses for layout, for better or worse

Pros

When laying out text, images, preparing documents for printing, and making mass changes across a document, InDesign is fantastic and very intuitive and fluid. The fact that so many people within the design field use this software, makes sharing and inheriting files from other people relatively stress-free.

Cons

There are many quirks and functionality issues that come into play depending on your project. For example, we deal with importing tables into documents on a regular basis and InDesign is very particular about how those can be imported and implemented.