Descript Logo

Descript

Transcription management and video & audio editing software

Descript Reviews

4.8

Rating criteria

• Likelihood to recommend9.48/10

Reviews by rating

Suggested alternatives

It's wonderful to have the whole project in the cloud with comments shared like a Google Doc for collaboration. The automatic transcription works pretty well with clear speakers.
Filler word removal has been great. Its great for recording scripted ads too as I can quickly punch in/out to get the right cadence and ultimately the best take.
And when I asked a sound technician to check my quality he was impressed with the sound. The room tone is a great addition.
I lost at least 8 hours of work. I contacted tech support and their discord server.
The most annoying to me is that the window always opens in the default size (i.e. small) and never remembers the sizing or positioning that I choose every time I open it.
After a friday and weekend of panic and frustration, the project did open.

Stu R.

Podcast Editor

Media Production, self-employed

Game changer!

Transcript

Stu: Hi, my name's Stu. I'm a podcast producer. I would rate Descript five out of five. And for more...

Cameron S.

CEO

Marketing and Advertising, 1-10 employees

The podcast editing tool that has helped us scale our podcast editing agency

Transcript

Cameron: My name is Cameron, and I'm a podcast editor. I give Descript a five out of five. For more reviews...

Yann I.

Online Media, self-employed

A must-have for every video content creator

Pros

I have been using Descript for a while now, and have noticed a new series of features being added to the platform. However, even though those additions have been more than welcome, what I consider the platform's top feature is something that has been at its core for quite some time: Descript's transcription tool. In particular, I was really impressed by the accuracy of the transcription tool's AI. If I had to estimate, I would say that the accuracy of the transcriptions Descript has done for my video content has been around 90%, which is really good.

Cons

While the transcription tool has been very good and accurate, I feel that its user interface could be improved. In fact, it has happened to me a few times to accidentally delete parts of a video (since Descript can be used for video editing too), while I was trying to edit some of the captions/subtitles that were created by the tool's automated transcription feature. Luckily, I have also noticed this in time but this could have very well have led to a video having missing parts because of this "accident".

DB

Deborah B.

E-Learning, self-employed

Language compression for better listening

I am committed to continuing with Descript since it enables an ease of editing I haven’t found anywhere else.

Pros

My favorite aspect of this software is the ability to delete filler words, shorten pauses between phrases and make my guests sound so much better than they do in the rough interview track. I love being able to edit the audio file by deleting things from the transcribed text and being able to go back and forth between editing in the text and editing in the audio file. The last episode I edited on descript cut 20 minutes off the interview. Then I bring that edited track into garage band to add intro/outro music, etc. ( i know I’m supposed to be able to do all this inside descript but I haven’t taken the time to learn how to do that.

Cons

Poor transcription of non native speakers. Not knowing how to add in existing transcript and match it with the raw interview track before editing.

AC

Aemyn C.

Online Media, 1-10 employees

The future of podcasting is still just over the horizon

Overall, using Descript is a super positive experience. We're able to preview episode scripts with clients which makes the approval process a better experience for them. Our scriptwriters are able to work directly with the audio and transcript at the same time and when they're done, we can export the raw project for cleanup and sound design in an external DAW which is awesome forethought from Descript. With other projects, editing and sound design and exporting can be done entirely in Descript and I'm really happy with the results. Despite its limitations and bugs, I still struggle not to recommend Descript to anyone making a podcast. Whatever you're doing, there is a good chance you will find a place for it in your process, just maybe not as much or as reliably as you would like.

Pros

Descript is a strong collection of audio tools that just weren't available when I started making podcasts. The ability to organise, collaborate and publish an audio project in the cloud with a friendly interface is great and used to be a huge pain to figure out. Editing audio with the transcript and the waveform at the same time allows you to skip a bunch of technicalities and focus on your creativity. Video capabilities expand the possibilities, and the overall suite of tools make me rethink entirely what podcast editing can or should be in a good way.

Cons

Stability is the biggest problem I have with this. After working on about a lot of different projects with different collaborators, I'm still coming up against things that make it freeze, make it crash, or break a project (usually salvageable at least), and end up needing to work around issues to keep things rolling. Also, while Descript has a lot of features, in comparison to any long-standing audio...

AH

April H.

Marketing and Advertising, self-employed

I use Descript for multiple things!

Editing video and audio for podcasts is so much easier in Descript. I can see exactly what I am editing out and it has made my workflow about twice as fast!

Pros

I love that to edit the audio or video, you just make the edits in the transcription instead of trying to find the exact place in the audio file. Makes it so much easier! My favorite is that it can take out all the "filler words" like "um" in about 2 clicks and make the audio sound great! So much faster than how I was doing it before with having to listen and take them out one at a time.

Cons

There are constant updates to the software, about 1 a week. This can be annoying since there is always a pop-up that says you need to update and restart almost everytime I open the app. Also, if you have multiple accounts (I have multiple clients I work with), it is hard to sign out of one account and then sign into another. Not sure why this isn't straightforward, but often when I sign out of one account and then try to sign into another, it just puts me back into the same account.

BG

Bryan G.

Apparel & Fashion, 1-10 employees

Makes editing a podcast so much easier!

It's been great. We started a podcast with no background in audio production and were doing fine with Audacity, but Descript just changed what we felt we could do, and how much time it takes to do it. I've recommended it to many people already and I expect I'll recommend it to many more.

Pros

It's very easy to use as a novice. There are lots of functionality buried within that I know I'm not utilizing, but I don't need it to get my job done. I love the ability to edit the audio by editing text and adding music onto my podcast voice files is straightforward. This is by far the easiest editing tool I've tried.

Cons

There are lots of features that I know exist but that I don't see or that I don't know how or when I should use them. This is on me to learn, but I do wish tools would provide access to mini-tutorials from within the main workspace so that when you are working you could better identify whether that functionality you've never used might help to solve your problem.

AG

Amelia G.

Higher Education, 1,001-5,000 employees

Used monthly for 6-12 months

An Interface That Brings Editing to All!

The ability to edit the transcript and audio and visual simultaneously saves HOURS of time, and allows me to pull off large-scale projects on a tight timeline without working over hours. SO easy to integrate into accessibility initiatives with the .srt exports directly from the transcripts. The automatic removal of filler words and inclusion of multiple speaker tags are fantastic features.

Pros

This software utilizes the experience of using a word processor, and harnesses it to help make an editing process that is intuitive, easy, and efficient. This makes it a time saver for me, and I have been able to teach non-design and non-tech colleagues how to use it in order to share the production work across various projects with ease.

Cons

Initially, the transcript and audio functions worked excellently, while the video was still a but rough. Now, though, Descript has spent several months upgrading and updating their platform so that the video editing is much more seamless and more can be done through the platform to produce great videos. The overdub is clever and helpful, but requires quite a bit of honing to get high-quality results.

CB

Chelsey B.

Individual & Family Services, 1-10 employees

Makes editing my podcast a breeze!

Overall experience has been a breeze. So grateful for Descript. Makes editing audio simple and fast.

Pros

I love that I can basically edit my podcast episodes by working with what is essentially a word doc. The auto transcriptions are super helpful for pulling quote, clips, and soundbites - especially if I ever go back through and just want to skim the content (without having to listen for a specific section of the episode.

Cons

I don't have many cons to share. If I were using the transcripts as part of my finished product I might like them to be a bit more accurate, but it looks like there are frequent updates to make them more and more spot on (with easy enough features to customize and dial in the exact transcript where needed).

TM

Tom M.

Entertainment, 1-10 employees

Tom’s review

Pros

It takes a completely unique approach to media editing, with the content and concept as focus instead of just abstract files.

Cons

When I get used to a function it changes quickly with updates affecting work flow. However sometimes the changes are easier.

DA

Denys A.

Professional Training & Coaching, self-employed

Making Podcasts and YouTube Video

Descript was the tool that allowed me to go from an audio only podcast to video podcast.

Pros

Ease of editing by working with the transcript and not the video & audio only.

Cons

The continual updates. Seriously this has got to stop. Every single week a button has moved or been added or changed shape. Please stop. I would pay triple to stop the changes.

Danielle N.

Design, self-employed

A video/audio editing tool that fits the way my brain works

I love that Descript lets me edit video by editing a transcript. In the past, planning my edit - because of how my brain was working - I practically ended up with a handwritten transcript. I thought: there's got to be a tool that will do this automatically. Then along came Descript! Descript is a pretty robust tool for editing video and audio. They seem to be headed toward making it a full featured tool that can do it all. However, my background is in Adobe Premiere Pro, and right now it's not worth my time and energy to learn to use Descript instead. But Descript has been a very helpful supplement.

Pros

Descript has many amazing features - even ones that I would have never thought of to wish for. Here are some of the features that most impressed me. I love being able to edit video or audio recordings simply by editing the transcript. You can edit within the same file, or you can open another file in a separate window and copy/paste the sections you want from the original file - which remains intact....

Cons

The accuracy of the automatic transcription can be a bit hit or miss. British accents are notoriously problematic. Not only does the app misinterpret words, but the rhythm of the person's speech can cause the app to put the wrong punctuations in all the wrong places. If the transcript needs a lot of editing, I'll put the whole transcript in Edit Mode. But I often need to play back a section of audio...

CE

Chris E.

Consumer Services, 1-10 employees

Take the frustration out of audio/video editing.

Pros

I love that Descript makes editing video and audio content so easy. And the transcriptions are so accurate it's scary! This software has saved me countless hours but more importantly removes so many barriers that keep people from getting started with creating video and audio content.

Cons

The editor UI is a bit clunky and compressed, I feel like the editor area should be larger which might make it even easier to use.

ab

andrea b.

Health, Wellness and Fitness, self-employed

mind blowing functionality

Hands down the easiest video and text editor out there. features are mindblowing and makes editing fast and convenient. I recommend this for any video and podcasting editors.

Pros

love that the transcripts are very accurate the product has so many features and i am learning new features everyday love that i can eliminate 4-5 pieces of software love that i can create audio grams very easy for editing text and video

Cons

there are so many features, it does have a long learning curve with some of its functions the demo videos are a little confusing and I had to watch them a few times to figure out how exactly to do certain things.

Venture Capital & Private Equity, 201-500 employees

A Game-Changer for media production teams

Descript has really changed the way I produce podcasts and other media. It gives me more control and helps complete many tasks at once. I like that I can get a transcript, and edit the text AND audio at the same time. I haven't even used all the features available, but excited to work with more video projects in Descript.

Pros

What I like the most about using Descript, is that it allows me to use 1 tool for many of my needs. Previously I would have to use 3-4 different sites/tools to get the job done. It also allows me to make media (podcasts) more on my own time, instead of relying on freelancers and others.

Cons

It does seem to take a lot for my computer to process using Descript. I haven't run into any issues yet and have an upgraded computer, but could see an issue if I'm traveling or had less capacity.

WM

William M.

Entertainment, 1-10 employees

The best in the industry!

Making an all audio podcast sound clean is the bread and butter of this app. It has made me love editing my show!

Pros

A must use tool for any podcast company. Editing has never been more streamlined.

Cons

Video editing the s close but I use three cameras and two to three audio sources. Multicam needs to be more streamlined

Ryan N.

Broadcast Media, 1-10 employees

I use Descript Daily and its irreplaceable

Pros

I love how it makes editing podcasts easy with my clients and collaborators. Editing the text to edit the sound is a really handy feature. Filler word removal has been great Its great for recording scripted ads too as I can quickly punch in/out to get the right cadence and ultimately the best take

Cons

There are some glitches when it comes to collaboration i.e. not being able to make comments (and notifying your collaborator) until the audio is transcribed, which as a collaborator on someone else's drive I cannot do Room tone generation seems to be selected as default When using filler word removal, the cuts can sound quite harsh and require spaces before and after to sound natural

MF

Marissa F.

Entertainment, self-employed

Game Changer for Audio Editors

I think the biggest change is that it makes my podcast editing experience more enjoyable. I feel more in touch with what I’m putting out into the world, and better able to edit and parse it. Despite my tech proficiency, I struggle with the frequent UI changes and have yet to make the audio recording feature work, so I have to import my audio from another program; if there were fuller audio controls I could really make it a one-stop shop for my podcast creation.

Pros

I was skeptical that editing audio in this way would result in a good-sounding podcast, but it has made the editing process so much clearer. Lots of great little features enable me to make content that I can push to socials as well!

Cons

The software frequently updates with significant changes to where things are placed and stored and no explanation of these changes. The auto-transcription is riddled with errors that it’s a little tedious to correct. Too many features are behind a SECOND tier paywall. Some of these things I get (the high-tech voice generation feature seems with extra money) but it seems odd that as a paying subscriber I can’t, say, replace the Descript logo in my audiograms.

MC

Monico C.

Photography, self-employed

Used monthly for less than 6 months

Video interviews made easy

I used descript to build scripts from video interviews on a few jobs so far. I love removing filler words, “um’s” and “a”s. Building scripts from transcription services is great, but you still have to mark with a time code and match clips to get the work done. I love theses of exporting the xml and seeing my work in Final Cuts after editing in descript. Saves me hours.

Pros

The difference Descript has over other transcription services is that you can 1. Create variations by making different projects 2. Export XML to Final Cut or Premier for an edited version that speeds up workflow for interviews and the spoken word. Learning the software is pretty straight forward and they have great tutorials when you run into a snag. Descript has been a game changer for my corporate and personal profile video workflow. I share the script with my client and ask them to highlight stuff they want me to try and keep in their spoken word. When I’m done putting a rough together, I send them a link from the site. Super easy and looks really professional.

Cons

I can’t really say there are any con’s at the moment. This software tops the other transcription services that I was using and wouldn’t go back because of the features and cost of descript.

SL

Sharon Lesego S.

Computer Software, 10,001+ employees

Descript has made transcription better

Pros

The features i liked about Descript are, -it has a automatic speech to text. -you can also change settings to suit what's best for the user - it's friendly user - one can edit videos as well - it has different variety options in one software which makes it accessible - fike documents are kept safe and its a trustworthy software which i would recommend to a beginner who doesn't know and wants to learn how to transcribe - and also there are mini courses so one can understand the software better for which ii think it's a great feature to have.

Cons

It tends to mulfunction which makes it difficult to use Tye software can sometimes crash due to having more users on the software which i believe it has to be taken into consideration, considering that its a used software all around

MJ

Madeline J.

Computer Software, 1,001-5,000 employees

Descript is a life saver!

Pros

It's a life saver for editing audio. Never again will I edit audio blindly - Descript is SO helpful in storytelling, and scripting narrations, and overall getting a better grasp on what you have in your audio. I love being able to add multiple compositions into a single project - it keeps things wonderfully organized.

Cons

The recent update to removing filler words has been cutting off words from either side of the filler word.

AH

Andrew H.

Research, 1-10 employees

My favorite software - Works great and it's fun to use

They have a product called overdub which is really fun to use. I highly recommend it.

Pros

This really helps me get my job done,. It's fun to use, too. Great video editing tool and to make content from interviews.

Cons

I'd say my only criticism is the support is slow. But you will be able to figure it all out for yourself. And there YT videos are the perfect way to learn

Melissa K.

Computer Software, 11-50 employees

As easy as video editing gets, if you've never edited videos before, this is it

Unparalleled to anything I've ever use and in awe of how well it works every time I use it. Can't wait to see how this solution evolves.

Pros

There is absolutely nothing in this world that is easier to use than Descript. It has saved me HOURS of work compared to Camtasia (which is really complicated and hard to learn). You can cut parts out of the video by deleting words from a transcript that Descript automatically generates, and remove filler words (um, ah) with a single click. The final video is better than when I use Camtasia to cut things down to the millisecond. It's a genius piece of software and everyone should try it.

Cons

There are a lot of features I know I'm not utilizing enough.

JP

Juliana P.

Public Relations and Communications, self-employed

I'm OBSESSED.

I love it. I am a podcast manager and use Descript within my daily work. I use it every day for getting rid of filler words and use it to help eliminate paragraphs of non-needed discussions.

Pros

I love that you can see the transcript while editing. It really helps with people with a learning disability like myself to see the words on the screen as well as hearing.

Cons

That there is no way to edit two separate tracks in one audio. (i.e. two people speaking with their own audios).

JP

Joshua P.

Media Production, self-employed

Key software in my current workflow

Pros

I love how simple it is to use. I love how I can open it up, it's organized, easy to start a new project, edit away, and export easily to other applications as well as .mp3 or .wav files. It's saved me tons of time in my workflow. Being able to see the words and search by word is a game changer. I love that I can create audiograms for audio, highlight text for quotes, and export finish projects.

Cons

I use an another DAW, Adobe Audition, because I am familiar with more intense editing within Audition. From the use of plug ins to more customization with cross fades, I feel I can do more outside of Descript when it comes to mixing and mastering the audio files. The cross fades also do not export to Audition and that would be a huge help if Descript was able to do that.

RC

Rachel C.

Online Media, self-employed

Such a fan!

I've recommended it over and over for ease of editing to new podcasters.

Pros

I love the text editing feature. It makes it so much easier to edit visually which is great and easy.

Cons

The user interface is different than most standard audio editors so there is a learning curve.

JL

Janene L.

Management Consulting, self-employed

Great addition to podcast toolbox

I love it and recommended it to many who are using it successfully. One the one hand it’s quicker to edit but takes longer because I can create more assets.

Pros

It’s simple to use and to create different assists for podcasting. It cuts editing time significantly.

Cons

Limited automated editing. Would be great if certain things could be autocorrect like the spelling of a name or of the show title. Also thought it would be useful to be able to put marker where you want time stamp and then with click it would auto gen show highlights. There’s no affiliate program. Give back to those that support you and refer you.