Joomla Reviews

Pros

The ease of deployment is one of the best benefits. You can even auto-install it in most servers.

Yaco L.

Easy to install, the WYSIWYG editor is good for starters and professionals. Joomla is open Source, popular and supported.

Siraj W.

Joomla is a stable solution that has been around for many years and continues to get better and developed by the strong Joomla community.

Cons

This tool was a threat to our profits because of those technical variants. There are so many conflicting help files and out of date tutorials, the tool has become a victim of it's own complexity.

James L.

I dislike that the PayPal plugin for it fails too frequently. I dislike that there's a color change line in the body of the web page for no good reason (light blue to a slightly darker blue).

Gail T.

Compatibility with certain software packages and hardware due to highly possible dishonest and cowardly development protocols from OTHER COMPANIES.

Chad E.

A Content Management System for building websites

I used Joomla to build my website. It was relatively easy to get started with. Joomla works with extensions and templates which allows them to be easily customisable. Joomla saved me the cost of having to outsource my website design to a website developer.

Pros

Joomla is a Content Management System (CMS) that can be used to build websites. The things I like about Joomla are: 1. Ability to build a website with no technical knowledge required: The first time I worked on Joomla, I didn't know how to write the programming languages on which Joomla was built, but I was still able to build a website with it using available Joomla templates and extensions. 2....

Cons

Joomla is an awesome CMS, but that is not without its cons. The cons of Joomla are: 1. Despite the fact that Joomla is easy to learn, it's learning curve is more complex than that of other CMSs like WordPress, Wix, and Weebly. 2. Poor layout: For me, the outlook of a website designed with Joomla seems to be less elegant than that designed with other CMSs like WordPress and Wix. These are the two cons I can point out with Joomla.

Joomla my favourite CMS to use

Overall I love Joomla, been using it for over 10 years I think it version 1.3 or 1.4 I started off with back then and stuck with it all the way through as other CMS systems just didn't seem as user friendly when I tried them. I can create nice websites that do what I need, just wish there was more help on making them great in the eyes of Google to pass the page speed and core web vitals tests etc

Pros

It has to be that it works logically and makes sense, if there is a problem you can usually work out what has caused it and fixed it without much of a problem. If you do get stuck then there are usually places where you can find answers to your problems online

Cons

When coming to technical SEO issues for things like increasing page speed, removing unused Java script & CSS etc most of the tutorials online seem to be focused more on different CMS users like WP etc, it would be great if Joomla did actually have some paid employees who could create useful guides for non coders who aren't experts that could make some walk through guides so the average user could make their own websites run like experts sites. I know Joomla is an open source software, but I wouldn't mind paying a small fee when I set up a new website to contribute to having some full time paid staff who could provide more documentation and training for Joomla, as opposed to having to paid large fees to experts as that's not really in my budget.

Use Joomla if you like structured and guided onboarding

Joomla has quite alot of features out of the box so you can get started quickly without worrying about installing additional add-ons.

Pros

I've used Joomla from time to time, when I have no say over what CMS to use. It's fairly popular in the early 2010s. The fact that it is still around now, though it's market share has been dwindling over the decade, shows that there is still value. I love how the setup process and admin panel are so structured and guided. So it is really easy to get started with zero knowledge. The menus are all well categorised and labelled properly so you know where to find what. You won't get lost: system, users, content, etc. Just click on every single category and page, and your website will be done in no time.

Cons

The actual website layout is pretty boring and lacks creativity so it may not be suitable for all kinds of website. However, if content is more important than aesthetics or presentation for you, then Joomla may be what you're looking for. People say there is a steep learning curve, it does take awhile. Funny thing is, if you're IT saavy or know some basic coding, I find I take longer to customise Joomla than its competitors. But if you're not so good at computers, then use Joomla.

Want to build a website now? Use Joomla!

Jommla is a web content management system that helped me a lot in my early career as a web designer, in publishing and managing web content, mainly because I had little knowledge on the subject at the time. Used for online stores, corporate blogs, news portals, service catalogs, among other formats. It is a CMS that does not require in-depth programming knowledge. With little knowledge of HTML and CSS, a lot of cool stuff can be done. It has many plugins and components that complement and facilitate the construction of online content. I am so grateful for all he has given me.

Pros

Jommla is easy to manage content online and solves everything without programming. There are many tutorials on youtube and communities that help each other to resolve any difficulties that may arise when developing web projects.

Cons

It could have more native functions. There are endless possibilities, but they have to be added through components, modules and plugins.

Flexible and SEO friendly Content Management System

I have been working with Joomla CMS for many years and it is one of the strongest and oldest free and open source CMS in the world and it is one of the best in terms of security, technology and simplicity and I’ve use Joomla for some website cases that have special features.

Pros

It's open source and free! It supported by volunteer community for many years and it's free forever.

Cons

Joomla template design could be more beautiful and with more features. In appearance, it has fewer molds than other competitors and should invest more in the appearance and design of the UI.

The best open source CMS

Amo de paixão o Joomla e recomendo para quem deseja gerenciar conteúdo sem perder tempo com código.

Pros

Joomla é estremamente dinâmico e flexível, faz milagres e se integra na plenitude com o Google, o que garante um excelente rankeamento via SEF e SEO.

Cons

Menor número de extensões, componentes e pluing do que o seu principal concorrente, o que em alguns casos obriga a utilização de extensões pagas.

Powerful but very complex CMS

I had worked with Joomla in a lot of sites since they forked out from mambo. I had done from simple 5 links sites to news portals with hundreds of pages.

Pros

It is like a blank slate, where you can create almost any kind of website that you require. It has a very robust user management tool which lets you assign and coordinate a hierarchy of control and access.

Cons

It could be very complex, distinguish between modules, plugins and components are not always clear for the users. And having to do things in different places based on what you do, makes things even worst. So it requires a lot of documentation after the work is done.

Powerful CMS for growing websites

We have been developing large and complex news portals for our clients using Joomla.

Pros

Joomla is a free and open source CMS that can be customized and extended easily.

Cons

Web development speed is slower using Joomla

Joomla is one of my favorite CMS's

I really love joomla, i've been using this CMS for years and still creating new websites using it. It just needs to offer more free plugins and also push major updates like 3.x & 4.x.

Pros

Issue tracker Template Variety Ease of customization

Cons

Free Plugins and add-ons - not enough Lack of major updates

A Tough CMS that Could Be Better

Joomla is yet another CMS for me though, even if it was more or less an exploration to find a better application within its category. Overall, it's a tough one and I will need a passionate mindset to dive deeper into this software.

Pros

Joomla is becoming very useful for e-commerce solutions, considering the powerful extensions that are being built for it these days. And of course, as it is an open-source application it makes it easy to customize and extend to one's need. Not to forget it's also free too.

Cons

Joomla didn't have much usability support compared to major players like WordPress and Drupal. Considering the fact that there were fewer extensions available to improve functionalities and most available ones were paid. So it wasn't a friendly application to explore then.

A little work goes a long way!

I was a faithful user of Joomla for 8 to 10 years. I actually got very good at working within the CMS. Once you learn how it all fits together, it can be a productive CMS, but it's simply not as easy as Wordpress. Wordpress is much less complicated and can do what Joomla does.

Pros

Joomla was the very first CMS I ever used. Being open source doesn't hurt, as it's always updating and evolving. The biggest pro for this product is that you have an enormous extensions catalog, both free and paid, which means you can create a one of a kind website.

Cons

For me the same thing that makes it great, is also the same thing that makes it less great. With Joomla being updated quite often, it happens often when extensions fail to update as quickly as the CMS itself, which renders them inactive until updated. Plus, there is a learning curve to working with Joomla, and it doesn't take long to forget which extension controls what element of the site.

Zero $0 investment, resulting in a great looking website

Not only I learned something new, which I've never known before, I was also able to present a great looking product to a higher level management, which really didn't cost company a penny.

Pros

I came to use Joomla when I needed to build a web based portal for my company to organize internal resources and data. While I can't call myself a Linux guru, it really took me 15 minutes to get my initial Joomla website up and running. Instructions are very clear and simple. Joomla was my first CMS product to evaluate. While it did take me a couple of days to understand it's structure, from that point,...

Cons

Really nothing. Like I said it did take me a couple of days to understand how to add content and structure it, but once this was figured out, the rest was a breeze.

‘Thanks to Joomla Community’

Wouldn’t exaggerate. A community who believes that the web should be for every one, works tirelessly to afford that opportunity free of cost. Go get it and experience for yourself. Go to https://downloads.joomla.org/ and understand your limits or nolimits. Then just leave a note of appreciation @ Joomla.

Pros

Thanks to Joomla community we have open source CMS to build websites at free of cost. Imaging the cost we have to incur if we had to rely on a multinational SW developer? This community of developers have come together and given us an exceptional CMS in building a site be it personal or commercial but free of cost. All you need is a hosting plan (free or paid and in most, Joomla is included as the...

Cons

Ideal for webmasters. That doesn’t mean you cannot utilize Joomla. Joomla is never downgraded. Its not an insult to Joomla community. But what I meant was for webmaters, the limit is beyond the sky.

Joomla is a great cms alternative to Wordpress

I’ve used it for years with great results for myself and clients. I feel that my joomla sites have been more easy to update and more stable than the Wordpress ones as the years have went by. I’d much more rather troubleshoot a joomla error than a Wordpress one :) any day

Pros

I love Joomlas structure both from a content editors perspective and a coders perspective. Joomla is setup out of the box to handle and organize large amounts of content and is seo friendly. It’s templating system is easy to work with and makes it so much easier for designers and users. It’s admin is customizable and is logical. I’ve tried to love Wordpress but find myself always going back to joomla....

Cons

I think akeeba backup should partner with joomla and make akeeba a core feature of the cms :) but it’s still easy to install myself and run backups :) so no problem.

Joomla for Perfect web site devolpment tool

Best way to expressing and perform search engine optimization, mostly used for social media marketing, Classic UI and more configurable items make it useful, much secured and convenient working with server side, Lesser extensions are available to add more feature, integrated perfectly with social media like Facebook, Twitter, YouTube perfectl.

Pros

Much secured and comprehensive content management system that supports wide range of websites, discussion, introduction, with personal messaging service, user management, role defining is fully covered including access to pages, detailed pages and customization can be done accordingly to enhanced added feature, direct access and working with server through its configuration.

Cons

Much complicated and hidden type setting, hard to customize it, due to complexity and difficult customization comparatively lesser plugins, extensions are available, so it needs more and more customization and work if you did not found your required features in prebuilt in extension.

Love the Joomla!

Very good system - combines ease of use with a very professional look and feel to the end user experience.

Pros

I have been using this platform for many years and it is the easiest to use CMS system I have had the chance to try. Great template selections from many outlets and the Open Source aspect makes looking for tweaks easy.

Cons

There are constant security updates that you need to be on top of and keeping the version current can be challenging with keeping certain Modules working properly - not a problem if you read up before making the updates.

Great CMS, with a great responsability of privacy for users

Complete CMS from the first installation, it really grew up in the last years! I ported already one wordpress site :-)

Pros

As any other CMS it installs in minutes, not even seconds, but its asking about tracking, its asking about privacy, by default it manages user requests pretty good! WordPress can learn from this. The default editor in Joomla is rich, very rich and is not stripped of like you see in other CMS systems where you have to install add-ons to have the full functionality. Of course you can disable the editor and go full with HTML content yourself. A simple website with a little banner, contact form and some company info, with your choosen template from the integrated installer is done in no-time and you don't need experience.

Cons

The editor is great for me and I love it, when creating pages(articles) but maybe you can also create a lite version of the editor for people who want to copy/paste from word? There is up to now no default way to enter a youtube ID for easy publishing a youtube video or maybe I am wrong, but can not find it, of course you can add an embed link, but users are not always aware of how to do this.

CMS that is fully customizable

Joomla! CMS is one of the first out there, and it keeps improving. Support is easy to find via their active Open source community. The setup requires a little reading up, but once you get past this initial hurdle, everything else is easy to use, intuitive, and super flexible to suit everyone's need. Joomla! is also a good choice in teaching young IT and Web enthusiasts since it is open source and fully extensible and customizable. It will run on older hardware, and minimum requirement will not be a problem.

Pros

Joomla! has been around for decades, and the reason for such popularity and continued use is that it is easy-to-use and manage, it is open source and has a huge and active community that maintains it. The community provides extensive documentation, FAQs, and support for almost any question or issue you may encounter. Joomla! can be set up locally and easy to deploy to the Internet publicly. The security features have significantly improved through the years. This CMS comes with an intuitive dashboard. And there are many third-party integrations available for setup. Since this is open source, the elements are customizable to suit your needs.

Cons

Setting up may require an initial (steep) learning curve. May be not as easy to set up as Wix or Weebly. Hence may require the admin to be more-or-less tech savvy (and not just a beginner).

Exceptional web developing software application!

The benefits of using Joomla include managing content within a secured database. Other benefits of Joomla include learning about site analytics, metadata, structure and navigation of building a professional website. Additional benefits of utilizing Joomla include receiving a certification for the completion of certain exams. Furthermore, the benefits of utilizing Joomla consist of being able to clone or download repositories from GitHub to assist with more website development.

Pros

Joomla is an open source content management system that non-profit, state agencies, small-businesses, or corporations. Organizations can benefit from utilizing Joomla because the features within the applications are relatively simple to utilize to distribute company's information on a website. Joomla is an excellent tool that interfaces with your company's network that allows for online applications to be built. Joomla utilizes a standard website content builder similar to Word Press that allows for classified fields to be entered by the end user. Content can be managed by authenticated or authorized users for publishing purposes. Content can be synced with the company's intranet or internet ensuring smooth synchronization between two platforms using PHP and SQL.

Cons

Promotional materials may be forwarded to the company's legal address as providing an address is required upon registering with volunteers.joomla.org. IP Address may be utilized to identify possible abuse, which may be shared between third parties. IP Addresses my be shared when commenting on features, which also includes the users name and email address. Other information may be collected, but the "other information" is not specified within the terms of service agreement or privacy policy. Sharing of other information can be allowed with third parties regarding advertisements of goods or services.

Joomla Is Robust and Extensible

I've been using Joomla! for almost 10 years, since the very early days of the project. It's come a long, long way since then, and it remains one of the most flexible and feature-rich CMSes out there. The caveat is that any novice will have difficulty learning the ins and outs of Joomla unless they are massively dedicated to pouring over pages of documentation. When compared to WordPress, it has more out-of-the-box features but is a little less user-friendly in terms of getting up and going.

Pros

The built-in ACL is excellent, allowing you to easily create user-focused site without adding a ton of plugins. Joomla beats WordPress in user management, menu management, and template management out of the box. There is very little that you can't do with this software.

Cons

Many people don't keep the software up-to-date, which leads to security concerns and has given the impression that Joomla is insecure. It's not any more or less than other open source software, but it HAS to be kept up-to-date, and with all open source CMSes security software is a must. SEO isn't quite as easy in Joomla but I hear that's changing with upcoming releases.

Amazing CMS for larger government websites

I've had a great experience with Joomla as it has a huge number of extensions, particles, and templates to help you get the perfect results for a refined and highly functional website.

Pros

We use Joomla for our County websites that serve 1 million plus customers. We have a number of staff editors that maintain their specialized content for our 3 local government websites here in Southern California. When working with Joomla, a good template developer is essential and it's important to use a good hosting company for ease of installation and maintenance. We use InspireThemes for our templates and SiteGround as our hosting company. This is a terrific combination as these vendors provide excellent products and superior support. Joomla is a fantastic CMS for our needs as it provides stability, powerful extensions, room for expansion, and ease of use.

Cons

I would strongly advise anyone wanting to use Joomla to start with a Quickstart template with a strong framework built in, like Gantry5 framework. The Quickstart templates save development time and frustration. You can easily install a fresh template in a matter of minutes and then choose your features and away you go! But use a reliable template developer and a customer service oriented hosting company - VERY IMPORTANT!

Joomla review

Overall experience was pleasant. I do however favor other content management systems a little more based on functionality and ease of format, but still overall very positive.

Pros

I liked how organized and user friendly this content management system was. It was very easy to show my clients that they could help edit and change things on their own website instead of calling me every day to make simple changes that only take a couple minutes. Those couples minutes don’t really add up enough to pay out enough to compensate my time being used for free each time they were to call and ask about simple changes. The “what you see is what you get” functionality made this possible. I also liked that I could get into the backend of a website and control the coding instead of just using the “wysiwug” (what you see is what you get)

Cons

What I liked least is that if a website didn’t maintain all the necessary updates and were stuck on a way older model, it would make it extremely difficult to jump and skip all the necessary updates to the newest one. I had one website that had never been updated to the newest joomla, running on a very old version, that made creating the website a nightmare and wasnt sure how to jump to the newest version without having to take a million steps in between.

I will keep using Joomla and can't recommend enough

I was able to collaborate on design changes to our corporate website with my fellow designers and developers, and overall the experience of editing, designing, previewing, and publishing content was at first a little time consuming to follow all the steps, but eventually was so easy to follow time and time again. It is a tool that myself and my colleagues continue to turn to when we have web development tasks that need to be completed and with new features continuing to be pushed out, it's never been a better time to learn how to use and train others on the program as well.

Pros

I found Joomla to be a great tool that was used as the back end engine of our customer facing website. As someone with some technical skills, I was able to learn how to use the editing tools pretty quickly, I learned how to be a user administrator and set up permissions for our customer portal to allow ease of access for customer materials - the overall set up of these features was a very stress free process.

Cons

Depending on how you've decided to use this content management tool, the process of upgrading certain features and customizing the back end user interface can be challenging when the needs arise. I find the normal challenges that I've found with similar content management tools, however there is little that I dislike from a back end user perspective.

Been a fan since 1.5

Pros

Joomla with its open source concept has allowed our university to flourish with nearly 2000 articles. I've taken it apart and put it back together several times. From the php to the sql database, joomla provides the developer the opportunity to debug a lot easier. It's also easy to manipulate and create new templates, module spaces and global modifications. We currently have three distinct sites...

Cons

As of late, the security updates have crashed our systems. However, we are able to fix these problems quickly. The main con we do have is that there are few developers on the marketplace offering modules and components. The ones we do find have not been updated for years which is concerning. Joomla system core does have some bloat but can be easily removed.

Organizing and showing content can be very easy

Joomla, for those who have not tried it, do it could be here an opportunity to create a blo or even a corporate website, in addition ... it's free

Pros

I have been working in the area of ​​electronic media for at least 6 years and, truth be told, I have walked through several CMS. This one in particular, has called my attention for several things. In principle, the posivilidad develop web pages that are shown with dynamic and interactive content. Nowadays it is a very important point. Another interesting aspect is that it is written in PHP, a language that many IT people in the world, handle quite well. In relation to my work, it is tremendous because it facilitates the updating of the site very easily. Task that I must do several times a day. I think it's an excellent work tool, very intuitive.

Cons

Even though I mentioned that it is intuitive, I think that the person who is going to interact with this or any other CMS must perform some kind of course to handle it easily. Another element to consider, is SEO. I think it can be improved. Currently, other CMS have better benefits in that regard. Mind you, I'm not saying it's bad, only that it can be improved.