Sage Construction Suite Logo

Sage for Construction, trust & innovation for over 50 years.

Sage Construction Suite Reviews

Reviews by rating

Suggested alternatives

contractor-foreman
spectrum

I rely on Sage heavily for a lot of important information and reports. The support staff is friendly and there is a wealth of knowledge out there.
We have increased transparency, gained insights and have been able to proactively manage the business. This has led to better business decisions, increased revenue, and overall business performance.
I liked how easy it was to learn as I had worked in Great Plains previosuly.
We gave it up after the first 4 months and lost 30 K , I'm starting litigation to try and get my money back.
By far one of the worst parts about this application is the customer support.
Reports in this software are the worst part of it. It needs to be updated and make it easier to build and customize reports to suit company use.

1,042 reviews

VA

Victor A.

Construction, 51-200 employees

Sage 300 Construction for Real State and much more!

Pros

Reliable software with an outstanding and solid support team. Sage is one of the top industry leader for the construction software field, intermediate complexity level to integrate with third party apps makes this software an a remarkable solution for those companies that already have their Master set well defined within construction standards,

Cons

Total cost of ownership can be overwhelming without the proper capacity assessment. Sage University to train your Admins and staff can raise up the bar of the investment. Custom features requires special attention from specialized consultants.

LS

Lindsey S.

Nothing is perfect

Pros

Ease of use: A/R - client set up, job creation, invoicing and applying payments A/P - vendor set up, invoice entry and payments

Cons

Self-teaching is difficult. KB, University and other resources are located in 3 different websites. This should all be streamlined. One website with one login that allows us access to our account management tools, KB and Uni. Since I wasn't here at implementation, I have found it difficult to utilize portions of the program that weren't used prior to my hire date. Customer service is great but don't offer training and any training that isn't self-teach is outrageous! We are glad to see you upgrade your annual services to include access to the various classes that otherwise are out of our price range.

RL

Rene L.

Sage 300RE

I am a moderate user because of my position but I was the person that took on the Service Module back in 2005 as we switched to Sage. I was very disappointed then with the SM module as it was not going to do what I was told it could but it was to late at that point as we had made the switch.

Pros

It had the ability to customize features in the program

Cons

The service module is way behind the times and will be the ultimate reason we leave Sage at some point. Even though we haver added SSO for some time now it still does not change the fact the back office program is the problem. We need more flexibility with departments and costing to meet the real service world. Also in order to make Sage work to meet todays requirements we have had to add third...

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on Sage products and services. We strive to deliver the best experience possible for Sage customers. We would welcome the opportunity to connect with you to better understand how we can exceed your expectations in the future.

KF

Karen F.

Sage Review

Overall it has been very good.

Pros

I like the accountability features first and foremost. The AP, AR and Payroll are simple and easy to use.

Cons

I would like to see a little more ease of use for estimating. For a small remodeling company like ours, we do not need massive amount of data. And a HUGE improvement would be if you could set up a standard "Note" for each cost code. We prepare proposals by Cost Code with descriptions as to what "Tile" entails (our allowance, our standard running board pattern, inclusion of grout, etc.) I would also like to see a running report that includes budget v. actual for hours, labor dollars, subs and materials. Right now I need more than one report to do that.

Thank you for your feedback! We appreciate your business and look forward to helping drive your continued success in construction and real estate.

AL

Amelia L.

Real Estate, 51-200 employees

Has great features once you learn how to use them

I like Sage. When I started at my company I had never used it before, now I am more advanced than the rest. For construction with a larger company it makes it easy to organize information. And I REALLY like how it connects with ODBC. I have created 100+ reports in the past 5 years and they make things so much easier.

Pros

I like how it organizes invoices, how you can customize SOME field name and how you can add customized fields. It connect with ODBC to excel or access with Microsoft query. This comes with the software. And you can make so many live reports that you can refresh with a button. Also the option of make crystal reports.

Cons

Everything is additional. Crystal reports you have to purchase a license, paperless, each module, etc. This can become frustrating, especially when you have 1 license for AP and try to open it and it says "Someone else is using this". Most people that haven't used it take a long time to understand it. There is a conference but it isn't ran by Sage.

DC

Dennis C.

Wouldn't Recommend for a Specialty Contractor

We use Sage 100 for all of our accounting/payroll/purchasing/subcontracting and project management.

Pros

I've been using the software for seventeen years --- drill down works great --- generally intuitive to use. Can teach others to use in a short time.

Cons

Reports are needing serious work that Sage just won't change, Some work arounds that we implemented when we first started using the product are STILL required seventeen years later. There are also STILL issues within the program that Sage just can't fix. Have had to hire third party consultants to help with some issues and reports.

Thank you for submitting a product review. Your feedback is invaluable to the continued improvement of products and services from Sage.

RL

Ryan L.

Sage Estimating

Overall, i love the product and would purchase again. Recommend to anyone.

Pros

The software is very very customizable as far as formulas and detailing to your way of estimating. Links with other sage softwares and streamlines a lot of the process

Cons

Some of the reports could be improved. And also a way to better customize reports and it would be nice to have customizable proposal report from within sage estimating. Also, some kind of bid manangement or request for bid within sage estimating would be useful.

YA

Yinka A.

E-Learning, 11-50 employees

Sage 300 Helps Get The Job Done!

Any large-sized construction enterprise with revenues of $2 million or above should absolutely consider this software. It keeps track of your fixed assets and performs a number of additional robust accounting tasks.

Pros

dependable software with an excellent and strong support staff. Sage is one of the top market leaders in the field of building software, and its moderate degree of integration complexity with third-party apps makes it a remarkable choice for businesses that already have their Master set well-defined in terms of construction standards.

Cons

Without the right capacity assessment, total cost of ownership can be prohibitive. By sending your administrators and staff to Sage University for training, you can maximise your investment. Custom features need special consideration from knowledgeable advisors.

SS

Sarah S.

Sage Keeps Our Accounting Running Smooth

Sage helps us keep better track of the jobs we have in process. We are able to provide reports and invoices to our customers.

Pros

I like how the software is integrated for use in receivables and payables.

Cons

The Estimating Software is not being used by us because it doesn't integrate with how we do our bids.

James H.

Oil & Energy, 11-50 employees

Good but seeking for more

Pros

There is a lot of flexibility with this product, but in many cases it requires a Sage Expert or extensive training. With this product our company managed Industrial Construction Projects of various sizes and cost and utilized different project costing. Overall our experience was good.

Cons

Needs a nicer UI/UX for the consumer, the next generation of user is accustom to ease of use and a clean UI/UX. Give the consumer more control, create a solution that allows us the ability to manage our data, our way. Salesforce has a great solution for this, although not directly related their model for consumer control and product support is one of the best I have ever seen/used.

DC

Donna C.

Sage 300 CRE needs help!

Quite honestly I used to be a "raving fan" of Sage/Timberline. I would attend the TUG conferences, enjoyed networking with other Sage users and learning things that we could do to improve our process and procedures. After attending several of these I started to realize that nothing was changing. Lots of empty promises for improved functionality with little to no changes other than patches and fixes. Unfortunately we are starting to look at other options because it feels that nothing will improve.

Pros

I would have to say that 22 years ago when I starting using and implementing Sage 300 (Timberline) there were many pros with industry leading solutions for the construction industry, unfortunately, that is no longer the case.

Cons

Sage 300 CRE is stuck in a rut. There is always "promise" of updates and better user interface but literally nothing ever happens. The fact that you can't even use the system remotely on a standard laptop has been frustrating beyond anything I have dealt with this last year. Sage seriously needs to get current with user's expectations.

TC

Tonya C.

Good Software for the price

I came in right after they had gone live with Sage, I see things that should have been done differently, but now it's too late.

Pros

I do like that you have more lock down control than you do with Quickbooks. I also like that there are several ways to get to something.

Cons

The reports need serious improvement, and that you can't have more than one address for a vendor. I also don't like that the attachments link can be broken so easily. We got a new server and moved everything over, but it broke the links to the attachment data. Also, we purchased Sage because we were told Procore would link to everything, well, here we are 2 years later and we still cannot push invoices from Procore to Sage 100. The ability to correct some issues are difficult if not impossible.

AL

Adam L.

Solid Construction Accounting Software

The tracking of costs and billings is great in this software. You are able to capture just about every detail you could possibly need and it's all integrated together. With the available 3rd party add ons this is a very good product.

Pros

Sage 300 CRE, formally known as Timberline, is a very robust construction accounting software. The customization is really endless and although the software platform is older, the 3rd party software packages available allow you to use current technologies with it. It is not the most user friendly as new software is but it is a very solid working product that has been around for years. I like being able to customize the software to how we do business. I have not run into too many situations in which the software was not capable of handling something. Certainly you might need a consultant to help you create complex reports and other processes but at least it is available if you need it.

Cons

I would say the biggest con is the fact the software is built on an older database platform and the screens are a bit older and do not scale well with newer systems. Although there is a SQL database replicator now to move your data to SQL for enhanced and faster reporting, the program itself still runs on the Pervasive database. It tends to run slow when you have a large database so you constantly have to keep up on the archiving. I also wish the program had a few more preventative features when it comes to posting transactions to closed GL periods. Certain tasks do not validate if the GL is closed prior to posting which I find to be a pain. Sometimes the fix is easy but other times it is very difficult to figure out.

AH

Amy H.

Good for Construction

I have used Sage 300 for years. Many companies use it although I find that it needs some element of support or a strong user on the team to resolve things that come up. Office Connector is a nice addition as many reports are not available out of the box...such as a CashFlow Statement and a good WIP report that can be modified and adjusted. You can write into the software so many applications can share data which is a plus. I feel like we have multiple additional technologies to make up for all the short-comings of Sage. Their support however, is amazing. Very friendly, knowledgeable and helpful. Additionally, the SageKnowledge Base can answer most questions a user has so there are solutions, but takes a bit to get familiar with how to find what you are looking for.

Pros

I like its ability to link with multiple applications including PROCORE, HH2, Paperless.

Cons

Out of the box financial reports are limited and it is not super intuitive in my opinion. We are currently running desktop in a hosted environment. I think I would have preferred the cloud based package.

AN

Alex N.

10 years past it's prime

Sage 300 CRE meet our company's needs for close to 15 years, but ultimately newer, cheaper, faster, more accessible, and more customizable software came along and we choose to switch. 10 years ago Sage 300 CRE was well worth looking at but these days there are better options on the market.

Pros

As an accounting system Sage 300 did the majority of what was required from it, similarly as a payroll management system. Sage 300 CRE has a lot of 3rd party support and there we no shortage of additional programs that could be integrated to handle document control, time collection, and reporting. Sage 300 CRE is also customizable enough that many changes to accommodate our business were able to be made. Most modules in Sage are capable of importing from CSV files making data transfer between system relatively easy, especially with the backup documents.

Cons

The biggest complaint from our users had to do with the speed at which the system operated. Regardless of our servers hardware we found some reports and process would take several minutes to run and despite receiving several suggestions from the customer support team nothing ever improved the situation. As time went by despite yearly updates Sage 300 CRE felt like a older and older program, its UI...

KR

Kristin R.

Construction, 1-10 employees

Sage is complex, amazing and expensive.

If I wasn't working such long and demanding hours, I would like to look into Sage University educational opportunities...as I do believe many questions I STILL have, could be answered there. ONE THING that would be useful, IMHO, would be a detailed listing of the online classes/tutorials that are available, and the list of topics/subjects that they deal with.

Pros

Sage is an amazing product, with so MANY complex programs and modules. There are (literally) dozens of reports and functions that I still know little to nothing about (after 3 yrs of working with the product). It's got everything a general contract would ever need, and then some. Customer support (GOLD) is awesome (tho expensive) . 99% of the time, I have had pleasant, knowledgeable, helpful, experienced assistance from Customer Support. The individuals who work in Customer Support helped me make it that first year, and there is no question of that. Their patience and their availability (and their sense of humor) helped me retain my sanity, that first year (04/14 - 04/15)....hands down.

Cons

The complexity of it....each module is multi-faceted and highly complex (and complicated). If a person comes on the scene (such as myself) with no prior construction experience, it's very difficult to simply "pick it up". Also, In order to have Gold Support (a genuine necessity, unless the office employee has a degree in accounting...OR...10 years of prior construction experience) is very expensive. We are a small construction company, and the thousands of dollars we pay, each year, for Gold Support, is not an easy check to write.

NM

Nathan M.

This reviewer only left a rating

I have used Sage 300 since 2010 and have found it the most troubling accounting software I have encountered. It has the capability to do a lot, but the product is so difficult to use that it makes doing a lot impractical, at least for a smaller company. Sage acquired Master Builder in around 2008 and has yet to implement many of the "smart" features I had expected after they bought it from Intuit...

JB

JEFF B.

Best general estimating system EVER

We had 4 estimators all giving the boss spreadsheets that looked completely different, and sometimes contained major math mistakes due to users messing up formulas. Now all the estimators spreadsheets are in the same format which makes it much easier for our chief estimator to review, and they have NO math errors. You cannot mess up the Calculations in the spreadsheet, because they are done by the database engine, not in formulas that the users can mess up.

Pros

Sage Estimating brings together the best of both worlds, a database of knowledge (pricing, formulas, Assemblies) combined into a powerful spreadsheet. Databases are good for storing data, but estimators need spreadsheets to modify and review their information in. The ability to adjust groups of prices by percentages on-screen is a priceless feature, by rolling the adjustments down into the line-items.

Cons

The Digitizer was replaced with eTakeoff that required a bridge program to interface the quantities with the spreadsheet. For our needs, the method of bringing back the measured quantity directly into the quantity field on the spreadsheet was better.

AV

Alan V.

Construction, 201-500 employees

Yesterdays technology for yesterdays prices.

The only benefit can think about using Sage is the money I could make building add-ons and consulting opportunities it provides because it lacks the basics. Financial reporting is a joke.

Pros

It works. It's fairly cheap. Not that buggy. I assume this is so because you haven't hired a team of developers since the late 90s. I'd bet the head of the user experience if you have one, has been ready to retire for the last ten years.

Cons

You have not put any effort into improving the product. For example how hard would it be to put a link from the transaction inquiry to the entry batch by clicking a button. The standard reporting is terrible. Have you ever asked what an accounting team needs? Also, in 2021 one should be able to copy and paste into your tables (e.g. JEs). Another example of how sloppy your user experience is when you close the books for the month, someone has to open the prior month one at a time. We have 90 companies. I had to program a python script to do this! I also use an Oracle product for financial reporting.

WF

Will F.

Essential Estimating Software

This program is a must have for any construction company. Sage estimating has standardized company estimating practices and estimate formats that has allowed us to more accurately track historical data. Sage estimating has also streamlined our estimating process and allowed us to get away from the human error factor when creating formulas in spreadsheets.

Pros

Sage Estimating is well worth the investment. Not only does it take the error potential out of spreadsheet mistakes, it also allows for a fully customizable database as well as the ability to create & tailor automatic formulas and assemblies to your particular company structure and process. The software is easily customizable in all assets (estimate format, database, sort level, CSI vs. Uniformat, WBS, formulas & assemblies). Another great feature is the ability to easily update production rates, labor rates & material prices in the database with the click of a button, so all team members always have the most current data. Sage offers great support for their products and has a comprehensive online forum for all things related to the program.

Cons

Although it is very intuitive and much more user friendly than previous versions, there is still a small amount of training required/highly recommended to smoothly & confidently navigate and operate the program.

KG

Kirk G.

Construction, 201-500 employees

Not a good product

This is possibly the worst software I've ever supported. My opinion is based on my observations of: - Lack of functionality - Unknowledgeable support people - Upgrades that are frustrating and usually immediately need another release to fix that release - Software pieces don't work together ie: Paperless, 200 CRE, eCapture, SageCPC

Pros

The ability to create specific roles for users.

Cons

The upgrades are a nightmare. Have to touch all desktops while doing an upgrade is extensively time consuming. The support is atrocious. I open a ticket online and get an answer that doesn't even relate to my question. I've already scoured the knowledgebase, but the response I get it just sending me to a knowledgebase article. Then I'm told to call in. When I do call in, I get to listen to a message for 1 minute that tells me to go online and look at the knowledgebase (waste of my time), than I sit on hold for an hour to get a first level support person that doesn't know the answer and I need to schedule time to get a call back from some one else.

TS

Tom S.

Don't waste your money.... Not Ready for Primetime

With more than 30 years of Construction and IT Management experience, working with numerous other platforms, I find my time on this platform the most troublesome and frustrating part of my job.

Pros

There is nothing I like about this platform.

Cons

The developer has created a platform on the most narrow and arcane perspective of construction contracting and management. Nothing about this platform is congruent with industry standards and methodology, particularly if you work in the government sector. It is like someone took shortcuts in the SQL database development rather than truly thinking though the numerous permutations of the business processes...

MO

Michelle O.

Construction, 1,001-5,000 employees

User for 25+ years

Overall, my experience has been very positive. Other peers, and our external auditors, are amazed at how quickly a company our size can complete month-end and year-end procedures and how detailed we can get our reporting.

Pros

One of the best things about the software is that the core applications were designed together, unlike other software that tries to integrate applications from several sources. So, Job Cost, Payroll, AP, AR GL and CM flow together very well. Also, the software was originally designed specific to the construction industry so it really incorporates most of the financial needs of our industry.

Cons

We are running into issues in payroll due to the size of our current file. We are subject to job audits and we have many large projects so we like to keep several years' data in one file. However, Aatrix is not able to generate quarterly reports without archiving some payroll data. Also, it's really nice to have the ability to post to future GL periods. It would be even nicer to be able to roll FORWARD for financial statement the way we can roll back.

DB

DeAnne B.

Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 51-200 employees

Sage Recommendation

Pros

I started to use Sage 300 back when it was called Timberline. I implemented it at the Drywall company I was working at. The software is very user friendly and is very easy for anyone to use. I perfected the software use when I went to a General Contractor that was already using the software. When I first interviewed for my current position, in my interview I couldn't stop talking about Sage. That was the reason I was hired. I have once again implemented Sage from a manual system.

Cons

I don't like the was the Job Cost module changed and would love it to go back to the old set-up screen. I used to use the condition button for looking for set up mistakes and not I literally need to go thru each job looking at the set-up. Also in the Payroll module I wish the reports and generating accruals would be able to use the daily entry grid instead of have to enter the date for each entry. I went for one entry per employee week to forty. That's not cost effective to get the work done.

VL

Valerie L.

Construction,

Stay away!

Pros

The Project Management portion works fairly well. The reports are very clunky and hard to work with, but it's possible to get the info you need.

Cons

The accounting side of this software is horrible! Did you know that you can have a negative debit and negative credit? That's just part of the nightmare. If you want to see all entries going through both AP and AR, they only show up as summary entries. There is no detail as to vendor, invoice # or anything other than the date and amount. It groups AP entries together into batches depending on how...