ArcGIS Logo

ArcGIS

Mapping & analytics system for visualizing data by location

ArcGIS Reviews

4.6

Rating criteria

• Likelihood to recommend8.51/10

Reviews by rating

I got an outstanding applause from my audience during my project presentation on drainage simulation I did with Arcgis, and I got the first contract deal same day.
I like the ability to format and being able to change the symbology. And generally feel that they make a very good looking maps compared to other, non-premium GIS software.
ArcGIS is terrific because it is free and still very functional. It is well-supported and has ample user training available from actual users on YouTube.
It's very much difficult to install to our pc. If it's wrongly installed we have again updated the os and reinstall the software.
I don't use this frequently, but when I do need to verify some data, it is not very intuitive and I often get lost in the amount of data shown.
Also, downloading and licensing this software is the biggest pain.

AP

Amanda P.

Asset/GIS Manager

Government Administration, 11-50 employees

WJCUD mapping and asset collection

Transcript

Amanda: I'm Amanda. I'm an asset manager. I score ArcGIS a four out of five. For more reviews like this,...

RP

Rachel P.

Teacher

Education Management, 11-50 employees

History teacher heaven!

Transcript

Rachel P.: Hi, my name is Rachel. I am a middle school history teacher. I give ArcGIS a five star rating....

Cesar A S.

This GIS has not comparison

Pros

We are in front of the best GIS in the market ARCgis do anything you want to do in special analysis. With this software you can build maps, editaed, analyze raster data, make models, 3d models, terrain models, simulations, Geodesign, and so many other things. This software has incorporated the biggest data of datum and coordinates system of the world, you can virtually use ARCgis in any part of the...

Cons

The main limitation of ARCgis it is the cost, it is a very expensive software that a little company or businees cannot afford. This a very useful tool but the cost does not allows to some people uses their potential for the spatial analysis. In some countries they offer educational licenses who help the students to know the software and work with some tools, this can be palliative for all that people who wants to work with the software but cannot afford.

Carlos B.

Higher Education, 201-500 employees

Tool for decision makers

ArcGIS has permitted you to show map information in an outwardly engaging manner and give broad investigation of geographic information for an enormous scope in a straightforward manner.

Pros

ArcGIS is the best software for management of geographic information accessible for decision makers. It has a device for nearly anything compelling in treatment of a lot of vector information. The flexibility to utilize permits ArcGIS to be used in an assortment of regions: from land cadastre, cartography, topography, biology, edaphology, the management of water resources, and remote sensing. With ArcGIS you can processing of both raster and vector data, it allows map algebra, spatial analysis, editing, and showing geographic information.

Cons

You need capacitation for learning, it requires time and there are various highlights which are extremely intricate to work with.

Outsourcing/Offshoring, 1,001-5,000 employees

Mapping Software

Pros

This is one of the best in the industry, and is a niche product. It is very robust and performs mapping well. There are alot of modules and it takes time to really learn the system.

Cons

If you are not computer savvy and don't take the time and effort required to learn the software, you won't like it. The usability has a lot to desire as things are hidden deep inside of menus. I think overall the software is expensive and bloated. You may only use 25% of the product. The KISS principle is lost on this.

Maria D.

The best GIS in the market has not comparison

Analyze spatyal data, satellite images, manage tables with spatyal information, edit shapefiles, make hydrology models and so on.

Pros

This GIS offers everthing that a professional that works with spatyal data needs, enormous amount of tool, a very complete interphase, the possibility to manage big amounts of spatyal data, a quality of image and video very high, and a ArcTool Box with everything you need to analyze spatyal information, The three moduls are awesome: ArcMap, ArcCatalog and ArcScene are the best in the market and everyone meets it porpuse. This is the best software in the world.

Cons

The cost is and had always been the highest limitation of ArcGIS is too expensive for individuals and small companies, so only the goverments or big companies can afford to pay for the license of this awesome software.

Juan Andrés O.

Environmental Services, 10,001+ employees

Most widespread paid GIS software

After 3 years of use, I find ArcGIS and the ESRI family of products an extremely effective tool for the storage, processing, analysis, modeling, visualization, and distribution of spatial data.

Pros

It's extensive functionalities for the advanced use of Geographic Information Systems (GIS), in the different forms available from ESRI (i.e., ArcGIS Pro, ArcGIS Desktop, ArcGIS Online services).

Cons

It is a paid software, which makes it compete with a myriad of other free and open-source software (FOSS) that would do the work just as fine... however, the tradeoff is that FOSS doesn't provide the same speed and consistency in customer support.

Tharindu D.

Civil Engineering, 201-500 employees

The Best Premium GIS Platform for All Your GIS Needs

The ArcGIS the best mapping software available considering all available options, level of presentation and clarity of content. It is much easier to get used to compared to most open source software. Once you have gotten used to handle your files between Arc Catalog - Arc Toolbox - Arc Map components, you will notice how easy it is to organize all. The other reason that almost all the academic bodies are recommending this software is the extreme reliability and good customer support. Even with a large number of open software packages available, ArcGIS still leads the pack with some considerable advantages to its users.

Pros

ArcGIS is the Industry Standard among all available GIS Platforms out there. The ArcMap-ArcToolBox-ArcCatalog combination offers solutions for all your GIS needs. The Software stands out among the others mainly due to its very clear representation of data that suit for any kind of presentations. Also, the map composer of ArcGIS has become the industry standard that is used by many higher education bodies, universities and professional organizations.

Cons

The Software package is not cheap but it doesn't mean it is not worth it. The people who can afford it will definitely have access to the best platform that the money can buy.

Eric D.

Civil Engineering, 10,001+ employees

Highly Functional Mapping Software

I use ArcGIS on a weekly basis as an urban planning consultant to graphically show and analyze data, including demographic trends, transportation modeling scenarios, employment trends, and basic area mapping. Without ArcGIS, my job would be much more difficult and it would be much harder to display spatial data for the deliverables we create.

Pros

The ability to do hardcore spatial data analysis relatively easily is a huge benefit. Being able to produce high quality maps is great for my work as an urban planner. The functionality is seemingly endless and as a avid user for the past 5 years, there are still aspects of GIS that I have yet to learn. Finally, the ability to export maps to other formats is very helpful from a graphic design standpoint and allows me to modify the maps in graphic focused software to further enhance the look.

Cons

This software is very advanced and can take a long time to learn. Casual users may have trouble learning how to use the software because of how complicated it is. The graphic outputs are not as visually appealing as they could be and additional work or rendering is needed to really make them stand out, which requires additional software.

Brian A.

Government Administration, 201-500 employees

Excellent Product - ArcGIS Enterprise

We wanted to use ArcGIS Enterprise because we recently purchased an asset management software and wanted to be able to use the work order system in the field and since we are already an enterprise client we wanted to leverage it to the fullest.

Pros

We really like being able to have our Enterprise Portal look and act like ArcGIS Online. Once we got the environment set up, working in it was almost the same as ArcGIS Online.

Cons

They have an out of the box setup for one machine. I almost wish we would have gone that route, but we wanted to future proof it and put the different modules on different servers. That made setup a little more difficult.

Sp

Surya p.

Civil Engineering, 51-200 employees

ArcGIS

im totally love with this software. last 6 years im working with ArcGIS software.the best part is visualization and professinal data quality and Delivery also customer support .

Pros

ArcGIS is totally a professional Software. most favourite part of this software is the wide range of functions,tools,and also online support of ESRI.

Cons

too costly. the user interface is bit slow.need good configration system for good working condition.

OA

Oumaima A.

Environmental Services, 51-200 employees

Unlocking the Power of Spatial Data

ArcGIS enables me to leverage location-based data to gain valuable insights into my business operations. By visualizing my data on maps, i can identify spatial patterns, trends, and relationships that can inform strategic decisions and improve efficiency.

Pros

ArcGIS provides a comprehensive suite of tools and functionalities for managing, analyzing, and visualizing geospatial data. It offers a robust and versatile platform that caters to the needs of various industries and sectors

Cons

ArcGIS is a commercial software that comes with licensing fees, which can be a barrier for individuals or organizations with limited budgets. The cost of acquiring and maintaining ArcGIS licenses can be a challenge, particularly for smaller or non-profit entities.

GA

Gabrielle A.

Research, 1,001-5,000 employees

Used monthly for 2+ years

My go to for anything spatial

It’s been great. I once compared the functionality of ArcGIS to QGIS in a certain talks I had - ArcGIS produced a more comprehensive outcome. I always choose ArcGIS in my research.

Pros

ArcGIS is one of the most frequently used softwares for GIS. Given this, it means that most people trained in GIS are able to use the software but communicate about its functions too. Arc has created a network of GIS users which in some regard, has formed its own language. I like this because when speaking to other users, they understand me and my actions on the software. I like the endless capabilities that Arc offers. Using the software is highly beneificial to people like myself who are involved in natural science research. It’s a tool that never fails to produce some sort of value - even if it is only a map. I appreciate the product development and like that it can utilize multiple spatial datasets in a user friendly framework.

Cons

Learning how to use ArcGIS definitely takes its time. It’s endless capabilities make it somewhat complex and so the user has to know exactly what they are looking to do in Arc in order to achieve it. I know too many people who have no idea where to start with Arc it are apprehensive to use it because of its technicality. I guess this is not a bad thing should one be trained in the software, but it’s...

RM

Ricardo M.

Environmental Services, self-employed

Esri's Arc Products are Essential Tools for Spatial Analysis

I have formal training in Geography and advanced GIS uses, so ArcGIS has been an essential tool for spatial analysis and spatial database creation.

Pros

I appreciate the flexibility and thoughtfulness of the software's design. There is almost always more than one way to accomplish a task in Arc products and suggestions for improvement are often met with modifications to the products to maintain their usefulness. The product is pretty much self-contained but there are patches and programs to customize the software. It also allows users to program routines to facilitate repetitive work. It also uses Python and Visual Basic, which allow users to write their own routines.

Cons

The price of this software can be prohibitive, particularly if users are looking for a full suite of services. Many of the functions are not intuitive and require a long ramp up time. The program crashes more than others on my computer.

JS

Jayaprakash S.

Architecture & Planning, 501-1,000 employees

One-spot software platform for all the geo spatial dolutions

As a enterprise user of the ArcGIS for more than 6 years, i would recommend this product for enterprise level professional geo-spatial mapping and analysis tasks

Pros

Both Desktop and browser based ARCGIS software platform enable GIS users to create, edit, visualize, analyse and share their spatial contents effectively. Especially , recent versions of ArcGIS desktop versions (10.5 and above) consist of several spatial and statistical analysis tools which can simplyfy the spatial mapping and analysis in an easy manner. ArcGIS online is a web based solution for spatial mapping which contain almost all the features available in the desktop versions and it is great option for performing the tasks without installing any sofware.

Cons

Great features of the ArcGIS comes with considerable amount of cost. Cost is the only drawback in using this software

DV

Dasun V.

Civil Engineering, 51-200 employees

ArcGIS as a mapping tool.

ArcGIS feels swift, smooth and reliable when generating maps of all kinds.

Pros

ArcGIS is a spatial analysis, Imagery and Remote sensing, Mapping and Visualization, 3D GIS and Data collection and management tool which can be used to generate, overlay maps with higher accuracy. I have used ArcGIS software for my Civil Engineering undergraduate period whenever mapping was required. Flood mapping and generating inundation maps can be done using ArcGIS more accurately and easily than other software. Also remote sensing, real-time visualization are other key functions that can be done using ArcGIS. Also, it has the capability to link, import or export with other widely used software like Autocad, MIKE software, etc. Therefore overall ArcGIS provides a set of important features and functions for all parties who are interested in spatial analytic tools.

Cons

Usually, ArcGIS online search from PRO is limiting the amount of information online.

ZB

Zavud B.

Environmental Services, 501-1,000 employees

Review on ArcGIS

Pros

I have been using ArcGIS for a year now. I am a master student studying Environmental Sciences and in this field it is very important to be able to work with geographic information systems. Although I learned a few similar software, I prefer working on ArcGIS when I have to work with maps and geographic information. The reason why I prefer ArcGIS to the other similar software is it is easier to learn...

Cons

As a student I am allowed to use the computers that have ArcGIS with its license at my university and its libraries. However, I cannot use it on my personal PC at home or wherever I am, since the software is extremely unaffordable for an average student I believe. What I also dislike about the software is it gives me a lot of errors when I work with larger scale while I do not get my results have as many errors when I work with smaller scales.

Civil Engineering, 1-10 employees

ArcGIS the best

As a summary, I can surely say that ArcGIS is one of the best software which helps me a lot in my research works. ArcGIS involves with hydraulic modeling softwares to make sure excellent model optimization. I really love this software and highly recommend to anyone without any hesitation.

Pros

ArcGIS is one of the best software in digital elevation modeling section. The best thing about ArcGIS is that this it is most popular software in civil engineering field, we can easily watch YouTube videos and get basic knowledge about the software if we are a new user too. Catchment delineation can easily done by this software which helps in hydrological modeling. Also this software having very user friendly interface too. This helps me a lot while operating with the software.

Cons

ArcGIS needs considerable amount of memory and storage space to function properly. So that if we haven’t modern pc, we can feel some uncomfortable.

AS

Alyson S.

Environmental Services, 11-50 employees

ArcGIS Review

Database management has greatly helped my company because it allows me to store data and apply it to different projects. The ease of developing maps has allowed us to create and submit high quality maps that surpasses most in the forestry industry.

Pros

ArcGIS allows me to build and maintain databases that assist my company in the private forestry industry. As a GIS Specialist I am able to transform that data into easily readable and understood maps for forest management plans, timber harvest plans, reforestation plans, etc. I am also able to assist my field going coworkers by creating georeferenced PDF maps that they can use in other applications to collect field data which I then can post process and import into ArcGIS software.

Cons

The thing that I like least about this software is that it has a habit of crashing unexpectedly. This has been something that has been going on for years.

KY

Kyo Y.

Mining & Metals, 1-10 employees

Great GIS Software

Pros

Cons

The price tag Esri offers for the ArcGIS suite is a bit high for what it offers. And I am not a huge fan of their licensing options and to its extensions (adds up)

AM

Andrea Margarita D.

Mechanical or Industrial Engineering, 501-1,000 employees

Used monthly for 2+ years

A key and necessary tool if you handle spatial data

The most useful tool for my work is the network analyst. I do research in transportation and the options of VRP or Facility Location have made things easier for me. Another feature to highlight is that you can use python to customize some features

Pros

Spatial data management is very broad, you can manipulate, analyze, calculate or create information. It has numerous tools that you can use either in the database or directly in the shapefile. Esri has an active community so it is easy to find solutions, especially in the first steps with the program. It also offers courses and depending on your license they can be quite cheap or even free. You can create and export professional, clean and attractive maps, perfect for publications. In terms of spatial info processing, you can do anything you need. With ArcGIS, you only need to search a little.

Cons

ArcGIS is a very broad and complete program, although it seems like an advantage, sometimes it becomes difficult to handle all its powerful functionalities. Even when you have basic knowledge of GIS, you should always be consulting forums, tutorials, and documentation, which takes time. But in the end, it's worth it. The biggest drawback is the price. There are a couple of programs with features very similar to ArcGIS that are open source. In fact, I have colleagues who have migrated to these programs because they don't have the money to buy the ArcGIS license. However, if your institution has the purchasing power, it will be a great choice.

Rafael M.

The best GIS for enviromental analysis

Analyze enviromental data in multiple scales and mak studies with precision and detail.

Pros

ArcGIS has a lot of tools to do enviromental analysis that increase the precision and details of this can of studies, you can analyze satellite images, manage spatyal data in shapefiles about vegetation, fire, crops, desertefication processes and so on. You can also use hydrology analysis to know the level of degration of a watershed, and manage 3D models for a better exposition of your investigation.

Cons

The price is the greatest limitation of ArcGIS, because the license is so expensive and every modul is sell separately, that is a big limitation for people who wants to use another moduls and only can use the basic one because of the price.

Justin C.

Telecommunications, 11-50 employees

The industry standard

Pros

ArcGIS has an application anywhere within the GIS space. Thus knowledge of this software is transferable to any position so long as it requires GIS data to be handled. There are lots of forums, posts, and additional resources to help you along the way so you will not get lost.

Cons

When exporting or handling data ESRI prefers to keep things proprietary. This means being forced to use their organizational systems if you want to share and examine data in an efficient manner. This also means you are at the mercy of ESRI capabilities and trust in their ability to roll out feature updates in a timely matter.

JF

Juan F.

1,001-5,000 employees

Used other for 1-2 years

Participate in a software development project with the use of arcgis

For a client, an application was developed that allowed the use of the map to point customers and with this information it could be analyzed and be able to make strategic decisions, through the maps you can know quantities of specific customers in a certain area, if they are clients. that have the same characteristics, typify them by themes, etc.

Pros

Arcgis is a very powerful mapping tool, through it we can create an entire infrastructure for the management of maps, pointing objects within them, manipulate and / or customize them, you can perform data analysis of the present information in the maps. If you want to go further and create an application that feeds or uses the map, it is possible to do this through the SDK, with which you can manipulate the information and process the data for its use, for example dotting clients, dotting oil wells, etc, any object that is useful for the end user, There is an online version, which presents several benefits for the creation of maps as well as sharing the same.

Cons

The version that is installed on the servers requires an infrastructure that is robust and large enough to support the processing of the same. It requires acquiring some technical skills to be able to administer the platform

CK

Christa K.

Higher Education, self-employed

ArcGIS Review

Amazing Software!

Pros

ArcGIS is the to-go software for all your mapping needs. I have run geoprocessing projects using ArcGIS Desktop, ArcGIS Online, and the latest ArcGIS Pro. There are various unique features you can use ArcGIS to get the best results possible for your project. These include data collection, data management, remote sensing, geocoding, spatial analysis, spatial statistics, mapping, visualization in 3D, and cartographical work, to name but a few. It's super friendly for both beginners and pros.

Cons

Even though the software is not open source and may not be affordable to an individual, you could acquire its license through organizational affiliation and enjoy its excellent capabilities.

GW

Gracie W.

Environmental Services, 10,001+ employees

Creates custom professional looking maps

ArcGIS is the best software to use for mapping. It's easy to learn for general mapping and also works great as an educational tool.

Pros

It is very easy to learn how to use ArcGIS with a little practice. There are a lot of options in making your map and many basemaps to choose from. ArcGIS online also provides a large database of mapable data in case you need it. Lots of analysis tools and the online community is great.

Cons

It can't handle a lot of data very well and often freezes when there is too much on the map. This slows down processing. Also has some bugs sometimes when things won't work and will work at others.

Isabel H.

The best GIS tool

Pros

1) The graphical interface of ArcGis is easy to use. 2) I like labelling tool called "The Maplex Label Engine", provides best options for labelling. 3) It has the ability to make very nice looking map products, has unmatched cartographic output. 4) ArcGIS can work with CAD data, KML files for Google Earth and other data sources, great!

Cons

1) The costs of this software are enormous for the initial purchase price and the subsequent yearly fees for the product. 2) It can be very slow. It takes a few minutes to open and uses a lot of RAM. 3) Limited options for incorporating graphics into maps