BuildBook Logo

Construction management software made simple.

BuildBook Reviews

Suggested alternatives

houzz-pro
procore
contractor-foreman

Onboarding was a breeze and the staff was so helpful and patient helping us apply and configure the software to best suit our individual business needs. Customer service has been amazing.
Super fast responsive times and helpful feedback. All in all while there's always feature enhancements that we'd love to see, BuildBook has been a great addition to our team.
I love how easy it is to integrate our current utilization of dropbox with Buildbook. As a team, we love being able to track our jobs together, and share our daily progress with each other.
Inability to set it up for my clients remotely.
Inability to customize as a small company without paying unnecessary extra month upgrade cost. It lacks time tracking software to make this a complete package.
No more copying a million folks on emails or group texts.

RB

Rilee B.

Build Book Review

I think our initial on boarding process overall went very well for us. Again, the BuildBook team was extremely responsive.

Pros

I like the social media feel of the application which make its easy to use and easy to follow. When something does need to be reviewed or looked back upon, it's still easy to go back and find a picture or document that I'm looking for.

Cons

Like any other app, there are bugs that cause some issues in the functionality but the Build Book team was super responsive and pushed out new updates very quickly.

TB

Tim B.

Intuitive Software That We Have Been Needing

Overall very positive experience. Very friendly, responsive, and knowledgeable staff. We have really enjoyed switching to BuildBook.

Pros

Easy to learn and use. Free onboarding sessions with handy reviewable transcripts. Estimate templates, easily use past jobs as a template for new ones, partial access for subs, cost book, and contact lists.

Cons

It has some areas that are not customizable e.g. the categories to list potential projects under. We can work within it well enough but it would be nice to change the titles to fit our company's jargon.

DN

Daniel N.

Construction, 1-10 employees

Sleek, but not there yet

I used this hoping to have a functional communication platform for me, my clients, and my subtrades. Instead, I got an expensive way to post pictures and an annoying app that sometimes doesn't work, and lacks any real communication guts Without being able to tag people to get their attention, then it's really not that great.

Pros

The branding is great, and it's an easy sell to customers. The customer support is easy and they get back to you right away.

Cons

No tagging. #1 Poor notifications. App glitches Inability to set it up for my clients remotely Only works on mobile User interface could be better

NC

Nicholas C.

Maritime, 1-10 employees

New User

Experience so far has helped us deal with change orders daily logs and construction labor costs

Pros

Ease of use, self-explanatory, good customer support.

Cons

Not yet integrate it with QuickBooks but it will be in the next six months

KW

Kaitlin W.

Fantastic Value

Client management has been better with BuildBook, for those who choose to use it.

Pros

It's easy to use if you're new to using construction software and don't want to spend a lot of money on an alternative like Buildertrend.

Cons

It's newer so there are still some features that I'd like to be included like Quickbooks integration.

BS

Benjamin S.

Construction, self-employed

Amazing! Simple to use, and beats out the competition

Great! The communication from customer service is phenomenal and I am extremely happy with choosing this service

Pros

It's easy to use and not overcomplicated like other apps. Great for smaller companies that do a lot of the work themselves and don't need those overpriced and complicated systems.

Cons

They only thing I've found to "not like" is that is doesn't calculate the days lost from the initial construction schedule but it's easy enough to figure out how to calculate that on your own.

AV

Alondra V.

Architecture & Planning, 1-10 employees

Easy to make the switch and adapt to

Their customer service team is responsive, knowledgeable, and genuinely invested in helping users overcome any challenges or inquiries they may have. Whether we needed assistance with onboarding, have questions about specific features, or encounter technical issues, BuildBook's support team was there to provide timely and effective solutions every time, which has made our transition from our previous software easy and stress-free.

Pros

BuildBook offers a comprehensive system of project management tools tailored for the construction industry but can be adapted to our architecture firms needs as well. The software allows you to create and manage projects, track tasks, and assign responsibilities to team members effortlessly. With its interactive Gantt chart and milestone tracking, you can visualize project timelines, monitor progress, and stay on top of deadlines which we love here at our design/build firm.

Cons

While BuildBook offers a good degree of customization in terms of project management and dashboard settings, some users may desire more flexibility in tailoring the software to their specific needs. Depending on your preferences and requirements, you may find certain customization options to be limited for businesses that offer more than construction services.

JK

Jasmine K.

Construction, 1-10 employees

Helped us level up our game!

Overall, this has been an amazing new integration for our business and has helped us level up our offering. We feel that clients have really valued having a platform that helps them feel closely connected to their renovation/build project at every step of the way whether they are living in their home or not. Clients have appreciated our regular communication using the tool as it keeps info all in one place. Our team feels more connected on projects and we are finding a new groove and it feels great!

Pros

The platform is very user friendly and our clients found it easy to navigate. We like the Chat features, File and Document sharing capabilities, Scheduling tool and the Budget and Selections sections to help us keep our process in check and moving towards project milestones. It's been a game changer for us as a whole!

Cons

We would love to see more reporting features, exporting estimates and selections into a nice PDF for clients to review. Some of our clients are hands on and still like paper copies or the ability to receive paper copies that are tangible. Would also love to see a more robust way to obtain client approvals on selections. Larger images for attachments and a few quirks with the mobile app can be flushed out too.

DB

Dave B.

Intuitive

Very user friendly and cost competitive with great customer service. Highly recommend it.

Pros

I chose Buildbook due to its value. It has many of the functions of higher priced project management software without the high cost.

Cons

Limited integration with other software like accounting

CR

Christi R.

Construction, 1-10 employees

Great product and great people

My overall experience with BuildBook has been dreamy. Seriously. When tasked to "find us a software", I tried the big names first. I think those actually made me appreciate BuildBook more. I don't need their frills and extras. I just need something the folks in the field can find information on and move on with their days. And the best part is that people respond to me when I email with a question, concern or even suggestion. Like I said, dreamy!

Pros

I love that we, as users, are listened to and even have a hand in growing the product. It's the next best thing to building from scratch. BuildBook is clean, not complicated, attractive and functional. It doesn't have a bunch of stuff I'm paying for but don't actually use!

Cons

I wish I had found BuildBook sooner! It would have saved money and headache trying to decipher more complicated systems. I don't need complicated; I just need functional. Estimating can't come soon enough though!

ZG

Zach G.

Construction, 1-10 employees

Great value with a great team behind it

Buildbook keeps my company organized and keeps clients from texting and calling me all the time. It’s invaluable.

Pros

I love how intuitive it is. I have had every client rave about it.

Cons

It has no estimating feature and needs line items under base costs to show the breakdown of each base cost.

RM

Ryan M.

Great Product

The idea to have all communications flow into one app is simple, yet very efficient. In collaboration with our processes that were in already in place, the implementation of BuildBook has increased our productivity, which means increased our bottom line. All while satisfying the customer with no added expenses directed toward them.

Pros

Given multiple features to disperse to our internal team and our clients, BuildBook has proven to be well worth the investment. We have had nothing but positive feedback from our clients and the designers that we work with. They love the daily update posts that we require, which describes the work that was done that day and what is on tap for the next. The option to embed photos into your posts have made change orders easier to document and gain acceptance. The documents tab has all of the necessary information that the crews in the field need to efficiently complete the project.

Cons

There are no dire needs throughout the platform. The only suggestion would be have a spreadsheet option in the documents tab that would allow all parties, or selected few, to edit right there in BuildBook. I have noticed that the older clients are not as willing or able to adapt to the learning curve of the app.

CT

Crimson T.

Construction, 11-50 employees

Great addition to any construction company

Good, still learning

Pros

the open communication between the office, field and customer is awesome! less critical issues missed with this and great for field to go back in and find what they need to know. just wish we had workers more open to using build book. Its hard to get older people to try new things and learn new things.

Cons

No summary page for the total expenses. this makes the build process easy to watch and see where they are over allowance and under as the project moves forward. that way they are not "blind sided" at the end of the build with a huge overage on allowances.

RM

Ryan M.

Construction, 1-10 employees

Software that bridges the gaps

The customer service is phenomenal, they are always asking me what features they can implement to make BuildBook better suit managing the company.

Pros

BuildBook has a very easy interface that is easily used by my team. They have everything you need in 1 organized location with many options to improve efficiency on the management side of the business.

Cons

The schedule display could be improved when using it on a cell phone. Would like to see a calendar view of how the current and scheduled jobs fit together, but I believe that is being discussed.

TS

Troy S.

Architecture & Planning, 1-10 employees

A great tool for custom home builders

We are really enjoying this software and plan to use more of the features as we get more comfortable with it. It's a great tool in managing our workload.

Pros

We love having the capability of keeping everyone in touch with every aspect of the job, from copies of permits, septic designs, specifications and drawings, to change orders and progress.

Cons

It's sometimes difficult getting the "old school" subs to want to download an app, and then taking the time to train them can be an issue. Also everyone needs to be disciplined to use it which is sometimes a struggle when things get extremely busy.

JU

John U.

BuildBook Review

BuildBook’s customer service has been outstanding. They’ve been very accessible and responsive to my questions. They truly understand the construction business. I am really looking forward to see what they develop next!

Pros

I really like that most of my communication with clients is now handled through BuildBook. I use it for anything I can think of-product selection, jobsite photo updates, sharing of ideas, checklists...there’s so many possibilities. I use it for prospective clients during the sales process, too. And now that there are separate work rooms within each project, I’m able to share sensitive information with my subcontractors.

Cons

I met some resistance from my subcontractors when I started using BuildBook. I’ve tried to make it clear that this is StrongTower Woodworks’ method of communication. Some have adapted well, others haven’t. I can’t say that this is really a BuildBook problem, though.

KM

Kate M.

Design, self-employed

Full Service Collaboration Tool

Loved it! It was like Instagram for your house build or remodel project, keeping everyone interested and looking forward to the next step. The ability to see and comment in real time was motivating. It kept what can seem like a never ending process for my clients, more exciting. THANK YOU BUILDBOOK!

Pros

The fact that we could all be on the same page in real time was invaluable, between builder, designer, and customer. The ability to convey communication by text, photos, and documents was super helpful. Can’t imagine doing another remodel without it. Our customer loved it too!

Cons

The only thing I found a little frustrating was trying to update a selection sheet for my builder. One that I could update with text, not handwriting, but I think it’s not actually a BuildBook issue. It has to do with the type of file uploaded originally. And it honestly didn’t slow us down any!

CC

Craig C.

New users

Mostly positive.

Pros

Mostly easy to use. Clean look and design. Like the client portfolio.

Cons

Limited on image uploads. No image gallery or thumbnails. All subs "collaborators" are notified of the daily logs. No place for collaborators and clients to have a discussion. The scheduler needs work - after every new entry entire schedule moves to the top and if the phases are closed they open back up the entire schedule with all the tasks under the phases. It is a constant open and close and very inefficient user experience.

JG

Jaclyn G.

Construction, 1-10 employees

Best software to invest in.. without breaking the bank!

We are so happy we have invested in BuildBook.

Pros

How user friendly everything is, we appreciate the helpful customer service too

Cons

Nada! We are really happy with everything

BM

Brandon M.

BuildBook Review

Excellent customer service would like some bugs fixed

Pros

Selections and organization for our projects

Cons

Also, selections, missing customization options

BC

Bryan C.

Good tool!

I think it a good platform that is continually getting better. Will definitely continue to use it.

Pros

Pretty easy to use and allows me to have a single place for my clients to touch base and ask questions

Cons

Adding docs is a bit cumbersome. Getting better with dropbox, but I couldn't get drop box to work yesterday.

LS

Lena S.

Construction, 1-10 employees

Good program for project management

Pros

I like the management aspect, scheduling. The estimate is also easy to use. I like it so far. There is a lot of features I'm not using right now so still have a lot to learn

Cons

I don't like that when you add the payment schedule it changes the order of how you input it. I also which it would be a way to do invoicing directly but I heard it's coming.

BK

Bud K.

BuildBook Review

No problems at all, I have enjoyed the experience of using the software as well as working with the BuildBook team.

Pros

BuildBook has helped get my construction company organized. I enjoy the client facing side and team facing sides, and that all project information is in one place.

Cons

I have a few ideas that I have shared with [SENSITIVE CONTENT], who are both responsive and helpful.

SC

Sevy C.

Love it

I personally love build book because it gives one place to track conversations, communicate with co workers and customers alike. Plus it makes the business look more professional and put together.

Pros

I love the ease of use especially when it comes to communicating with customers. Plus it keeps it all in one place.

Cons

I dont know if this is an issue with my phone itself or the app and my Samsung, but it always makes me log in again when I'm not using and go to use it again. Every single time. Frustrating but I've gotten used to it.

JG

James G.

Construction, 1-10 employees

Priced well for what you get

Overall it has been good, the staff is great and eager to help.

Pros

The job scheduling is great. ............

Cons

Not syncing with quickbooks or google calander or email.