Avalara Reviews

User ratings

4.2

• Likelihood to recommend8.11/10

See full reviews by rating

Pros

Cons

Overall, I am happy with product as it is has saved time for team in filing reports and also is a great repository for our sales tax related files.

DJ

Dana J.

Seamless integration with our ERP system, reporting and ease of reconciliation to our records are awesome. There is no need to maintain Sales Tax tables internally.

ML

Marianne L.

Reminds me of the old Microsoft model (maybe still current model?) and it can be very irritating. If you have a tax problem, the last thing you need is more costs and a wait time.

They charged us up front for a year and then provided little to no support in implementation. It's impossible to get a response from them.

AM

Alexis M.

They would not let us walk away so now we have a garbage product. The customer service is absolutely terrible.

Avalara users...

How would you rate Avalara?

Easy to use product

Transcript

Brian: Hi, my name is Brian, I'm a director of accounting in the healthcare industry, I use Avalara and...

Tax Cert Organization for any Sized Company

Pros

I use Avalara's CertCapture program for filing all of the tax certs my company receives. If you are still keeping physical copies, you need to consider this. CertCapture allows the user to assign account numbers and names to every cert uploaded - it also allows expiration dates to be set. A report is processed every couple of weeks to see which of our customers will need to send in updated paperwork. Then an automated email and fax are sent, reminding them what certs are needed. Staying in compliant is one of my top priorities and this allows me to do so with ease.

Cons

I am honestly struggling to think of anything negative to say about this software. We currently use Vertex for our tax calculations, i would like to start using AvaTax though. I work for a large corporation and from what I've been told AvaTax doesn't meet our business needs. I would like to see that change in the coming years.

Avalara saves my staff time!

Our experience with Avalara has been a good one. Though no-one really likes dealing with Sales tax, this software has allowed us to manage it without having to add any staff - and that is a HUGE plus in my book. We have had some issues, but once we addressed them with the support staff - they were eventually corrected. Avalara also had a connection to the software we are currently using - Sage 300.

Pros

The amount of time my staff is saved by using Avalara to calculate and maintain Sales tax is enormous. This software accurately calculates tax and we also use it to file the taxes. The software has worked very well for us.

Cons

There were a few bumps in the road when we started, but we worked through them. Some of that required that we stay on top of the issue - because the support staff was overloaded due to the enormous increase of customers that Avalara had. But now that things are moving along, IF we do run into an issue, their support people are always available to help out.

Hi Jeff, thank you for taking the time to write about your experience getting started with Avalara. We're committed to offering a reliable and easy-to-use solution, so we're happy to hear your connection issues have been resolved and the software is now working well for your team. Please don't hesitate to reach out to our support team with ways we can make your experience even better.

Avalara Avatax

The product is very solid and provides a very accurate tax calculations.

Pros

How simple and accurate the software is.

Cons

Some times it feels a little bit slow when running from inside our ERP Software.

Hi Emilio, thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We love reading that you think our products are simple and accurate, as that is exactly what we aim to be! We are grateful to serve you.

Product works Sales and Customer Service doesn't

If you can implement without having to rely on Avalara personnel, you are much better off. Also make sure you understand the transaction numbers. It is super expensive even if most of your consumers are tax exempt.

Pros

It simplifies a complex structure of taxation

Cons

Sales support and customer support is really lacking. Not knowledgeable and the pricing doesn't fit small to medium business models. They charge you by the address validation and validate the address multiple times per transaction.

Hi Mark, thank you for taking the time to write about your experience; it's not the type we aim to deliver. We'd like to learn more about your experience with support and implementation so we can find ways to improve. If you're willing to continue this conversation, please contact us at customercare@avalara.com. We look forward to assisting.

Great Customer Support & Variety of Services Offered

Always a pleasant experience and great customer support!

Pros

The software is easy to use and the customer support is excellent.

Cons

Reports showing usage were not super clear, but I think it was a technical glitch.

Jennifer, thank you for taking the time to share your experience using Avalara. We work hard to deliver our customers the best service possible, and we're grateful for the opportunity to work with you. Regarding your feedback about reporting, we'd appreciate an opportunity to learn more about what's going well and improvements you'd like to see. If you're open to continuing the conversation, please contact customercare@avalara.com so we can share your insights with our product team.

needs some work

We use Avalara currently, even though it is not perfect.

Pros

I like that it calculates the tax for our customers on our web store automatically. It integrates with our WooCommerce site.

Cons

The accuracy of the tax rates is questionable to the point of us having to double check rates on state websites to verify that the correct tax rate is being charged. We were also unable to successfully integrate Avalara with QuickBooks.

Katie, thank you for taking the time to share your experience using Avalara. We work hard to deliver our customers the best service possible, and we're grateful for the opportunity to work with you. Regarding your feedback about tax rates, we'd appreciate an opportunity to learn more about what's going well and improvements you'd like to see. If you're open to continuing the conversation, please contact customercare@avalara.com so we can share your insights with our team.

Time saver extraodinaire!

This product has been a great tool for our company. The ease of use and the accuracy has saved us so much time. The flow between our POS and their system has been mostly effortless (there will always be issues with software). The best part is that we don't have to keep track of all the changing tax rates in all the different cities and states that we do business in, plus them filing all of the tax returns takes a huge time burden off of our shoulders.

Pros

-Ease of use -Compatibility with our POS System -Support and communication of issues -Accuracy of collecting and remitting of taxes

Cons

They have recently "updated" their user site and so it takes a few more steps to get to where I am going, and it is a little confusing at first.

Charity, thank you for taking the time to share your experience using Avalara. We work hard to deliver our customers a reliable and easy-to-use solution, and we're grateful to have the opportunity to serve you.

Sales Tax Solution nightmare

No response to emails, 1-1.5 hour on hold wait time to talk with a rep that may or may not help you. Avalara claimed to have a solution that would handle the general/manufacturing tax rates in Alabama and Mississippi and this was a blatant lie. After waiting 3 months we had to contract for a customer solution with our software provider. I would not recommend going with Avalara due to the horrible...

Pros

Reports easy to read Exemption certificate management and repository. Keeps tax rates updated Geolocator for taxing purposes

Cons

Customer service is HORRENDOUS. No credit for unused tax return filings. Web portal is not easy to navigate Avalara servers are slow to update when working on month-end tie-outs to ERP system Dropped invoicing lines on backordered items, these have to be manually entered in Avalara

Teresa, thank you for taking the time to write about your experience using Avalara. We strive to offer the best service possible and the frustrations you've described are not what we want. We've reached out to your account manager on your behalf. If you're open to a conversation, please contact us at customercare@avalara.com.

Customer support almost non existent, got screwed the very first month, nightmare transition

Terrible. Customer support is non-existent.

Pros

Technology and software seems pretty solid so far.

Cons

I don't trust people at Avalara. We went live on 1/1/2021 and they processed returns for non-SST states for the month of January but they did NOT process returns for SST states for the month of January. Wait. What? How does it make any sense? They said my SST service starts on 2/1/2021 and not on 1/1/2021 (but somehow non-SST state service starts on 1//1/2021?!). How does it make any sense when we...

Shu, thank you for taking the time to write about your experience using Avalara. We strive to offer the best service possible and the frustrations you've described with SST are not what we want. If you're open to a conversation, we'd like to learn more about your specific experience and work to assist. You can reach us at customercare@avalara.com, and we're following up with your account manager as well.

Helpful for Managing Sales Tax Compliance

Pros

Let's face it... sales tax compliance is complicated. Avalara has helped us streamline this, though any software dealing with something this complex tends to be less user friendly.

Cons

Setting up Avalara to your unique business case has a steep learning curve. It's also quite expensive.

Hi Sam, thanks for sharing your thoughts on our product. We agree that sales tax compliance is complicated which is why we aim to provide a reliable solution. We'd like to hear more about the implementation process you experienced to see where we can improve. If you'd like to share more with us, please contact our team at customercare@avalara.com with your feedback.

Avalara Makes Taxes Less Taxing

Ever since the U.S. Supreme Court decision in South Dakota v. Wayfair, I had to deal with more tax scrutiny. I am a tiny shop, but knowing that Avalara and their Avatax program is calculating my sales tax, I feel reassured about filing on time and correctly. When my sales grow they also have an option to sign up with multiple states and file my returns for me at a reduced cost.

Pros

I use Avalara's Avatax program to determine sales tax on my Woocommerce shop. The tax calculation is seamless and accurate. The synchronization works in the background, and I am confident that my customers are always charged the correct amount, even with the confusing sales tax rules of New York and California.

Cons

The software and/platform takes a little getting used to. If you are not familiar with tax codes, you might have to do a little digging, but support is always available. Setting up the return calendars can also be a little confusing. It can be expensive to have them file for you in many states if you have a nexus there. All tax calculation programs are costly, but it is much better than me doing it all on my own.

Angela, thank you for taking the time to write about your experience using Avalara AvaTax with WooCommerce. We're happy to hear your feedback, and look forward to continuing to support you.

MISC Comments

Big improve, make that massive improvement over Vertex. In fairness, the move to Netsuite solidified the Avalara move.

Pros

*Interface with Netsuite *Management reports available for month REC *Driven by strong Tax knowledge and customer awareness.

Cons

*Website is still not what it should be regarding ease of use. *Resent changes in how support is handled may produce cost saving however it may be at the expense of customer need for timely response. In the past I suspect customers contacted support only after giving up on attempts to gain intel from the website.... may not be pleased having to wait longer. Avalara does not file at all on exception...

Christopher, thank you for taking the time to share your experience using Avalara. We work hard to deliver our customers a reliable and easy-to-use solution, and we're grateful to have the opportunity to serve you.

CertCapture does what it is supposed to do, but doesn't make it easy

It would be impossible to correctly charge tax and file in the various states where we now have "economic nexus" without Avalara, so Avalara has been indespensible. However, they have completely ignored my suggestions for improvements for over 4 years. We need them, but I hope they get better at the certificate capture part of the business.

Pros

Certcapture provides the ability to create a campaign to email or fax customers for whom exempt certificates are required, and it makes it easy for them to supply the certificate(s). It is also simple to followup with those that did not initially respond. For daily use, the Walk me Through help feature, and the great wealth of help articles and FAQs, make it easy to find the answer to any questions.

Cons

CertCapture allows you to select an Exempt Reason that isn't valid for the state of the certificate. Avalara knows it isn't a valid reason, but it lets you select it anyway, and doesn't give you an error. After you finish validating the certificate and saving it, you can then look at a "History" tab and there you will see an API Call Failed error which if you research you'll find out the reason. But...

Thank you for sharing about your experience using CertCapture. From what you wrote, we recognize that there are things that have gone well and areas that need improvement. We would appreciate an opportunity to learn more about your experience. If you're open to a conversation, please contact customercare@avalara.com.

Best Solution and Partner we have

Avalara is such a great company overall to work with. Specifically since we started using Avalara for our tax processing, we've had some setbacks in getting our invoicing in the ERP system we use to process at a rate that was sustainable. The Avalara tax calculation software add-on in our ERP system was what was causing the slowness, and thanks to Avalara's constant engagement and support, within 6 months of kicking off a new development project with their software partners for this add-on, we completed development, testing, and went live with a rapid invoice generation tool. Just one example of how great their support of customers is.

Pros

Avalara is invested in the success of their customers. Every time there is an issue with the software (which is incredibly rare) they let us know something is wrong before we even report odd behavior. When we have technical issues that can't be resolved through standard support, they quickly engage and facilitate developers to get things fixed as fast as possible. Even if there are billing problems, we get stellar support in resolving them. Though we have had such a great experience working with Avalara, even when there are these various types of expected issues along the way, they are always there 110% to make our experience enjoyable. We couldn't ask for a better partner.

Cons

Due to the ERP solution we use, there are times when the Avalara add-on functionality is a bit cumbersome. Avalara is aware of this and does what they can to accommodate the needs of their customers despite software setbacks caused by our other solutions. It is a notable con, but not even really their fault.

Cassandra, thank you for sharing about your experience with Avalara, we're happy to hear it's been positive. We are committed to offering a reliable and easy-to-use solution, and we look forward to continuing to serve you.

Great Product & Well Worth the Money

Overall experience has been great and I'm very happy we selected Avalara 5 years ago. The product has only improved in my opinion since then and as mentioned before, it's a huge benefit to us in saving us time and resources as well as helping to reduce our risk around sales tax obligations.

Pros

Avalara's sales tax management solution has been fantastic for our company. Before we implemented Avalara 5 years ago, everything we did was manual and left us to risk of miscalculations of tax. It's all automated now based on the shipping address, nature of our revenue, and their tax engine calculates the tax and includes on our invoices. We also use CertCapture and have Avalara filed our returns - franky, it's very cheap relative to the value it provides our business in savings of time/resources and improving our controls around sales tax obligations.

Cons

I don't have many complaints about the software - it's been very intuitive to use and was pretty easy to implement. The only small complaint I have is when the liability worksheet locks down the 10th of the following month, you can't make any more changes to a given state without them unlocking it for you and incurring a fee. I think a few of these requests should be included in your subscription as they are bound to happen.

Victor, thank you for taking the time to write about your experience with Avalara. We're committed to offering a reliable and easy-to-use solution, so we're happy to hear your feedback and we look forward to continuing to serve you.

Product Review

We had accuracy issues with our last sales tax provider and since implementing AvaTax, we have decreased our risk of charging the incorrect tax rates to our customers located across the US.

Pros

Once the initial setup is completed and tested, Avalara takes the guesswork out of sales tax. It is more accurate and cost effective than our previous third party sales tax provider. Also, the product is so easy to use and to navigate.

Cons

The implementation (like with all other software) hit snags that were unexpected, and took our IT team some extra time to link our billing system with AvaTax.

Alexandra, thank you for taking the time to write about your experience with Avalara. We appreciate your feedback and look forward to continuing to serve you. If there are additional comments you'd like to share, particularly around areas where you see need for improvement, please contact customercare@avalara.com.

In general Avalara has been a great product. It saves us a great amount of time every month.

Avalara definitely saves time and money by automating the sales tax. As well as keeps us in compliance, as I could not keep track of the sales tax we owe in every state when tax rates continually change.

Pros

You don't have to think about it. Once you get it set up, it runs smoothly on its own and only requires a monthly review to tie out to your GL. Having Avalara remit sales tax on my behalf is a great option.

Cons

The software works great. We have had issues with the Cert Capture add on. Which can be very confusing to use. Also setting up reminders on the cert capture side is challenging, and the email directly to customers from Cert Capture is a confusing process for both the administrators and the customers receiving the requests. I would also like additional stability with our customer rep. We are on our...

Watched this company go from great to terrible

Multi district/state tax calculation made easy.

Pros

Platform is flexible and mapping is intuitive, even for complex tax situations. Easy integration with Magento Enterprise.

Cons

Reports are difficult to run. Its more complex than it should be to add manual transactions and the UI needs a considerable update. But my biggest complaint has been in the lack of customer service. It has regularly taken WEEKS for our customer service rep to respond to my emails. And when I showed the "Customer Experience Manager" at Avalara the chain of emails that shows it has regularly taken weeks,...

The best of the best

Between collecting sales tax from our customers and now calculating Consumer Use Tax, my personal experience with Avalara has been exceptional. I enjoyed the folks I worked with in the ACU area specifically. They were awesome to help me understand how the program works and be able to comfortably run it on a monthly basis.

Pros

The ease of use and the versatility of the different programs they have that are available. It's like a one stop shop.

Cons

Getting some items cleared up through support are slow, but I try to keep in mind that since the Pandemic started, EVERYONE is short handed.

Hi Linda, thank you for taking the time to share your experience using Avalara. We work hard to deliver our customers peace of mind, and we're grateful for the opportunity to work with you.

Would be lost without Avalara

Pros

Sales tax laws are incredibly confusing! After several years with Avalara and many questions while adding new jurisdictions and filing tons of returns, we have grown to trust Avalara completely with our sales tax needs!

Cons

The support process is not the best, though my issues are always resolved. Calling in takes forever and trouble tickets, it seems the biggest goal is to close as fast as possible which isn't always the best customer service.

Hi Tausha, hank you for taking the time to share your experience using Avalara. We work hard to deliver our customers the best service possible, and we're grateful for the opportunity to work with you. If there's additional feedback you'd like to share please contact customercare@avalara.com to continue the conversation.

A great resource for sales tax calculations

Overall, I am very satisfied with Avalara. It has connectors to the software and eCommerce sites that I need, and with those, setup is quite painless.

Pros

The software works great. Once you have it set up, it runs in the background and involves almost no review. I know we are always charging the correct tax rate and with the tax return processing, I know my returns are being submitted correctly and on time. With exposure in most US states, staying up to date on all tax changes and filing individual returns would require a small team to keep accurate. With Avalara, we set up the states and localities we are in and the software takes care of the rest.

Cons

When questions do come up, customer service could do a better job. I have also had our individual customer rep changed on us multiple times in the last year, which is frustrating. I have also experienced billing issues around the time of renewal each year, which can take up to 4 or 5 months to get resolved.

Tax calculations made easy

Avalara saves us a lot of time by keeping track of all the sales tax rules based on products, customers, zip codes, tax exempt certificates. We just need to setup the states where we have business in, the products and upload the tax certificates and Avalara makes the rest.

Pros

Avalara makes tax calculation easy for each of our sales order. We no longer have to be too much concerned with the right tax rates in each of the states and counties we have business in because Avalara update those rates every time a tax rule or tax rate changes. Each time I need to research when a tax calculation is wrong, based on the user’s input, I found that Avalara is correct and that the issue is related to something the user is missing to take into consideration.

Cons

The only dislike that I have is that Avalara support takes a lot of time to get back to you. I always end opening a support case thru e-mail, chat and phone, so I work with the one that answers the fastest.

Sales tax

Avalara calculated the sales tax for all of the jurisdictions in Colorado where we sold our on-line products. It made it very simple to do the sales tax returns in those jurisdictions.

Pros

It was very easy to install it with our e-commerce platform and it worked well. The reports were easy to run and use to file the necessary returns with the original version that we started with in 2018.

Cons

When they upgraded to the latest version of AVAtax, it became less user friendly to get reports that were needed. It took special training to find the reports needed and they were more cumbersome to use for filing taxes.

Darlene, thank you for taking the time to write about your experience with Avalara AvaTax. We're happy to hear your feedback, and we look forward to continuing to serve you. We appreciate your note about reports in AvaTax Update and will pass that on to our product team. From what you wrote, it sounds like you received training to access what you needed, however please reach out to support or your account manager should you need any further assistance.

Product Works Well, But Pricing Is Not Comensurate with Value

Pros

Avalara works. It integrates with my e-commerce system and provides customers with accurate, real-time sales tax rates. It allows me to file my sales tax returns easily.

Cons

My net pricing to use the software is increasing at an exponential rate. Over my last three renewals, Avalara has passed through annual net price increases of of 38%, 42%, and 110%. Currently, my annual usage fee to Avalara is greater than my annual sales tax liability! This doesn't work for me any longer. Additionally, my account rep changes at least once a year and the current one is not as responsive as I would like.

Todd, thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We strive to offer the best service possible for our customers and we understand how unexpected costs would be upsetting. We'd like to learn more about your specific experience, please contact customercare@avalara.com if you're open to a conversation.

Great Service

Great experience overall. Software if easy to navigate. If you have a question they are fairly quick to get back to you and provide specific support.

Pros

Ease of use and navigation of support questions. There is a lot of capabilities in the system depending on your business structure. Any questions that you might have about using the software is available for non users in the support search.

Cons

Support emails. Blocky and convoluted, they notify you if there is a support request made. They become hard to follow with the generated support number and when the request has been elevated to another department or specialist. I mostly just archive the emails without looking at them as they tend to be redundant (which has had me miss some important emails unfortunately). Would benefit greatly in cleaning up the email format.