Patriot Payroll Reviews

User ratings

4.8

2.9K
  • Likelihood to recommend9.35/10

See full reviews by rating

Pros

Cons

The ease of using the software and how helpful the staff at Patriot are if you need help. They personally will walk you through the steps and make sure you are comfortable before you hang up.
Their full service payroll is a tremendous value and well worth it. For any questions during initial configuration or for making changes after up and running, Patriot support is outstanding.
The process is very easy to use, trustworthy as well as inexpensive for the quality of service you receive. When needing help from the Support Team they have all been extremely helpful.
All our employees are not eligible for the same time off accrual, and the inability to change individual time-off/holiday settings was initially quite frustrating.
The set up was awful and Patriot left me on an island and did not finalize anything and failed to file any state reports.

Patriot Payroll users...

QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise

RUN Powered by ADP-logocaret
+ 43

RUN Powered by ADP

How would you rate Patriot Payroll?

2,995 reviews

EM

Emmanuel M.

Trainer/Owner

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 1-10 employees

1st Time Business Owner, 1st Time Using Payroll Software

Transcript

Emmanuel M.: Hi, I'm Emmanuel. I'm the owner and trainer here at a fitness studio and I give Patriot...

Easy for first time users!

Transcript

Vivian L: I'm Vivian. I work for a window washing company. I'm the head of finance, and I give Patriot...

Beginner friendly payroll management software

Pros

It's very simple to set it up for the first time. This complete payroll suit is all you need to manage and distribute companywide. Also, this software comes in handy in calculating taxes and deductions for leaves and other factors.

Cons

I liked everything about Patriot Payroll

Why didn't I try this software sooner

I am kicking myself for not doing this sooner. Great support that is US based and I'm treated very professionally.

Pros

I had heard it was complicated to set up, but once I had everything in I realized that was a good thing. Payroll has gotten so much more complicated over the years, to have all the small parts done right was a work saver. I wasn't having to create multiple work-arounds and spend extra time double checking. The non-accountant business owner, should consider hiring someone for a short time, get it set up right, then sit back and let the program do it magic.

Cons

Because I prepare the payroll tax filings outside of Patriot I wish there was a simple report that listed the employee name, hours, gross, and full listing of SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER. Currently I have to dig through the employees' records and manually write down the SS#. I know a lot of this is ID thief protection. But I have an IRS Tax Preparer Certification and they required me to be finger printed and back ground checked.

Simple and affordable payroll to use once it's set up

The price was great for smaller clients who have simple payroll needs for a few employees, however a price increase was announces, putting Patriot just about on level ground as other payroll software like gusto and Onpay, but without the level of support offered by their competitors.

Pros

The price was great for smaller clients who have simple payroll needs for a few employees.

Cons

The setup is a bit cumbersome and onboarding is limited in scope.

Accurate, easy to use software and full of features

Working with Patriot software has been easy and worry free over the past years. The tax payments are made timely and are accurate. Customer service is available to speak with via telephone which is a major plus.

Pros

Ease of use and the features the software provides

Cons

As a full-service payroll subscriber there is no way to run a Form 941 without producing the entire quarterly tax report package. The workers compensation companies only want Form 941, so therefore I must use pdf software to extract this from from the package to submit.

Patriot Review

My experience with Patriot has been great. I am glad I went with it!

Pros

I like the software because it is easy to use and helpful and has great customer service.

Cons

I have nothing wrong to say about Patriot. I’ve had no issues.

Biweekly User

good

Pros

A lot of features and it a good price point

Cons

Time for direct deposit was long, need training before purchase to make sure i'm using the software correctly for the right purpose.

Great for full service payroll!

I love the software and the full service payroll option. It has saved me time and money and aggravation.

Pros

I love how fast and easy this software is to use. They are the lowest cost for full service payroll, and were fairly easy to set up. They integrate with QBO and have good customer service.

Cons

I don't like the lag time between running payroll and direct deposit. You have to run it 4-5 days ahead of time or you are out of luck.

Easy to Use -- Love PATRIOT PAYROLL for my small business.

It has been great. When i was first setting it up, the customer service was great.

Pros

Easy to use. They have made improvements over the years, and it became even easier.

Cons

Can't think think of any issues that I encountered.

The Best Payroll Service Available

Pros

Ease of use with outstanding customer service!

Cons

Patriot software has everything that we need to run our business.

"Let's go digital "We offer the solution to your payroll issues.

It's been a very good experience with Patriot payroll , haven't noticed any major changes with this tool,the customer support is effective and reliable both on phone and on email. With Patriot payroll we have our human resources have made the payroll to run easier, smoothly and affordably.

Pros

I proposed this tool to my organization after being briefed by a friend who had deployed to their company. Since then generation of payroll is solved and in real time.

Cons

At many times it fails to capture the real time of employees which has resulted to re introduction of paper work ,also the HR team has raised the issue of not being to change paydate once it has passed.

The Pros And Cons Of Patriot Payroll: Everything You Need To Know.

Overall, I have had a positive experience with Patriot Payroll. The staff is friendly and helpful, and they always answer my questions in a timely manner. I appreciate the fact that they offer both online and offline payroll services, which makes it easy for me to stay compliant with the IRS. I would definitely recommend their services to other small businesses.

Pros

There are many things that we like about Patriot Payroll. First, they offer a variety of services that cater to our needs. Second, their customer service is excellent. We always receive prompt responses to our questions, and their representatives are always willing to help. Third, their prices are very reasonable, and they offer a variety of payment options. Finally, their software is easy to use and very reliable. We never have any problems with it, and it makes processing payroll a breeze.

Cons

There are a few things that I didn't like about Patriot Payroll. First, their customer service is not the best. It can be very difficult to get in touch with someone who can help you, and when you do, they often don't have the answers to your questions. Second, their website is not very user-friendly. It can be hard to find what you're looking for, and the layout is not very intuitive. Finally, their prices are a bit high compared to other payroll providers.

Awesome Payroll Software

As I have stated before, their support is awesome and the "chat" feature has a live person on the other end=) Those live people know the software as well and are usually always able to resolve any issue I have in minutes. Set up is a little difficult ...IF you don't know payroll, so I would strongly recommend hiring someone that knows your type of industry (I work with churches and ministers and payroll is an area that I see a lot of mistakes)...to set up the software for you. But after you get it set up, it is pretty easy to use. I highly recommend this software.

Pros

Their support! After leaving Intuit Payroll for Patriot, their "knowledgable" and available help was a refreshing change!

Cons

There is not an "auto" payroll for my clients that have the same payroll each time. With that added feature, Patriot Payroll would just about be perfect in my opinion.

Payroll done easy.

The problem I am solving was my old CPA who did my payroll, wasn't always doing it right or sending in reports done right or ontime. I didn't know anything about it. He sent me the amount each week to pay and I just wrote the check. Finally got audited ( just the payroll ) and he was of no help. So I decided to do it myself. That was a nightmare. The IRS was no help, anything they had to teach you how to do payroll, assumed you already knew how and just showed you how to fill out the forms, but you had to know which form. I stumbled upon Patriot, signed up and it has been pretty smooth sailing for years.

Pros

I went from paying my CPA to do my payroll and found out years into it, he wasn't always correct. I knew nothing about it, nor what he was doing wrong, nor how to fix it. And I don't think he did either. It was a huge pain in the .... A friend who is a big time corporate CPA, who says I'm too small for his company, told me about online payrolls, mentioned a name or two, so I investigated. Patriot was not one of the ones he mentioned. I don't remember where I first heard about them, but immediately liked them because they have different levels of how much service they provided. I wasn't looking for someone to do everything, I still wanted to be in the loop of knowing what is being done and when. They offer several plans and the one I use is perfect.

Cons

Nothing really. But I have never done payroll before using Patriot, nor have I ever used another software, so I don't have any experience to compare it to. But I have done my payroll to the satisfaction of the governments and would not have been able to with out Patriot. And whenever something came up that I didn't know, they were there to explain/guide me through it.

Great for tight budgets

Overall, Patriot has been a great tool and it freed me from the clutches of Intuit, maker of Quickbooks. I spend a fraction of what I used to pay Intuit and I get more features with better customer service. I also looked at Gusto and Paychex, but Patriot was the cheapest option with the most features, hands down.

Pros

I signed up as a Partner and got 50% discount off the retail rates. I like that the full service payroll handles all the tax remittances and reporting. Plus, I generated W-2s with the click of a button.

Cons

My biggest disappointment was the 4 day lead time on Direct Deposit. We typically set up pay periods to end on Saturday, so we had to run payroll on Monday in order to make direct deposit show up on Friday. That left no cushion of time and a holiday pushed the direct deposit back to the following Monday! The "solution" was to Prefund the Payroll by giving Patriot a "Deposit" that they used for each payroll and then "refilled" to the set amount. Luckily, this worked for my some of my clients, but many of them can't afford to tie up that much cash. This may be a deal breaker for some companies.

Patriot is an amazing platform for small businesses

I have been a customer for over 4 years. I left for a brief time thinking I could find something better but after only 5 months, I came back to Patriot. There short falls do not add up to their amazing customer service!

Pros

You can't beat the price point for the technology. it's a solid platform for a small business. They are constantly developing new features that enhance the experience. Their customer service is the best in the business, by far! I don't know how they do it but they hire the nicest most helpful people out there.

Cons

Their reports are somewhat limited and the ability to capture history for changes is non-existent.

Patriot Software is the way to go!

My experience has been wonderful overall with Patriot Payroll. I am able to process my payroll easily and efficiently. I haven't needed external assistance because the system is so user-friendly that I am able to handle all of my needs on my own.

Pros

Patriot Software Payroll is very easy to use! It is very simple to make any adjustments to the employee files and also to print off any necessary reports. I can always find what I am looking for!

Cons

The only feature that I find frustrating, is when I am inputting the information for payroll and then I need to back out of the screen to update an employee file for whatever reason and all of my information that I have entered has to be deleted. It would be better if the information was able to be saved and then edited later, if needed. It is frustrating when you need to make one small change to one employee file and therefore you lose ALL of the input you put in for the other employees and have to re-enter all of the information.

Game Changer For Us

Pros

We like that we can white label the product. I am big in branding, so beng able to have this as white label, for me, is excellent. The software is easy to use, easy to onboard. The portal works great. We charge our customers, so being a royalty member with multiple clients, I get a good rate, and can always make money doing payroll. Also, it is residual, I always make the difference between what I charge and what I pay. They more clients I get, the less I pay, so the more i make

Cons

There are some features that I wish they had. Auto running payroll for companies that everyone is on salary. Also for sending out 401k, pension, etc, if they did that for us

Summary

Major benefit is Patriot is less expensive than ADP and easier to use.

Pros

To generate a payroll period, it is straight forward. I appreciate the fact of Patriot taking care of the tax filings. I also appreciated that they automatically added the FFCRA paid leave and paid FLMA leave . I greatly appreciate their customer service personnel. They appear to train them well and are actually helpful either knowing the answer/solution or will inquire with a supervisor to get an answer if at all possible. If not, they are great in following up with an answer or simply responding that they are still researching.

Cons

Navigating through reports could be improved by having a link on every report window to go back to the Report menu rather than having to use the side menu bar. When navigating EE time cards, it would be nice to have the dates appear at the top of the page as you scroll down to enter other hours to ensure you are entering on the correct day. I would prefer EE timecards would open to the pay period...

Overall please with our switch from Quickbooks to Patriot

Overall we have had a great experience with patriot, we had quite a few issues with the transition over (mainly due to the fact we made the switch in the 4th Qtr of 2019 so there was a ton of data to be entered). Because of the amount of data and timing we have had several issues with our tax filing from 2019- but what I love the most about patriot is that they are the most accessible help line that I have ever came across in the business world, you rarely wait on hold for longer than 10 minutes and it has never taken them longer than a few hours to respond to emails- making problem resolutions very quick.

Pros

I love how organized it keeps all of our data and the ability to send our hourly time clocks straight to the payroll.

Cons

I wish that you could hide inactive employees from the reports drop downs, and wish that you could create groups within the reports so that you dont have to hunt and peck for certain employees when running reports. I also wish that there was a way for the managers to view hourly time clocks without needing access to the main admin account.

Patriot Payroll, Perfect for small business's

Anyting you need to do for payroll, taxes, tax filing, W2's etc, it's all there. At the end of the year, print out your payroll and tax papers, give them to your tax preparer and your done. Literally in 10 minutes (including print time) your paperwork is done. They do it all for you!

Pros

When joining Patriot Payroll, I was sceptical about the cost and functionality. I have used 3 "big name" companies, and was always in disagreement about their products, pricing and what they actually did. When you need payroll, it was one cost, then if you needed reports, tax payments, and many other things, the costs just kept going up. Those costs avergaed $150 a month. Now I see why they are...

Cons

None that I can think of, and after many years of using, that's awesome!

Solid Tool, Some Shortcomings

Performing the payroll function is the easiest and best function. It has been simple to learn overall (with a few exceptions). Those items I had issues with the support team was great in assisting me directly (usually the chat function).

Pros

Ease of performing payroll functions that are beyond my capabilities. Enter all the data and it runs appropriately, collects the taxes, and keeps us legal and current on tax liabilities. These are all functions that would take significantly more time to accomplish without Patriot (and I would be uncertain if they were done correctly).

Cons

Several of the tools are difficult to use/understand how best to use such as the PTO/holiday accrual system, paycheck withdrawals, etc. I did figure out how to use them, but once I did, there were "orphan rules" I no longer needed/wanted and no way to delete them (and no way to make them do what I needed, which is why they were abandoned). The other issue I have had is the way PTO works (rules are...

Accessible staff to help you get up & running/for ongoing support & very EASY to use.

I lost my payroll person when covid hit. I was stressed about this because finding anyone to take on more business when lockdown happened wasn't going to happen. Something about that virus caused a vast majority of people to stop working altogether, so it was a stressful time for me. Patriot software personnel did not stop working though. They were right there to ease that stress and keep my business...

Pros

Biggest thing initially - someone was there when I called to ask for help (when setting up one may have a question or two). When they answer they sound like they are right there with me, and are friendly and patient. Just amazing customer support, which tells me quarterlies & all other data will be accurate when it's submitted (they seem to really care). I love that all of my data is filed within their system as well. Very easy to use. It takes me less than 5 minutes to do payroll from inputting hours to printing out check registers. It does the hard work for you, so you can tend to the business you're running.

Cons

It's difficult to think of something negative because everything a business owner wants is there. If something has been challenging to me, (not experienced in payroll), I just call them up. My advice is to know what your State unemployment rate is when setting it up since this can be different for everyone, and know they are there if one gets confused.

Extremely easy to use - Excellent US-based support

Pros

I absolutely love how responsive Patriot's support is and it's US-based, which is a huge plus because of alternative language barriers or time zone issues. They offer phone, email and/or chat support with low to no wait times. I love how self-explanatory things are - it's easy to 'find' what you're trying to do in most cases, without enlisting the help of Support. Definitely saves me time and money versus using an overpriced and under-delivering PEO, that's for sure.

Cons

Patriot does not yet offer the ability to break employees out by department, which is particularly useful for reporting purposes, when entering info into accounting software such as QBO, etc. While I'm told they're working on this functionality, it's been 9 months since I was told this and am still not hearing updates on progress in rolling this out. But we have since come up with a feasible workaround and realize no single solution will do 100% of what you're needing, in almost any case. So it's not impacting our workflow in an overall negative way, it'd just be nice to have this when it rolls out.

Patriot Software

Customer Service is great . It's not always intuitive with where to find things, but over the year + we've used it they've made a few great improvments (like multi hour wages, and pto tracking).

Pros

We use Patriot Software in a wide variety of industries (restaurant, retail, day care, and more). I love how I can set it up for a client, and show them briefly how to run their own payroll. Very easy for simply payrolls.

Cons

My biggest pet peeve is the inflexibility of making tax adjustments. For Example: a restaurant where they pay out tips each night means that a check would be for sever hours only, usually about $40 for the week. The tips justify enough taxes that they end up with a negative paycheck. In any other system I can manually adjust the taxes held to get the check to zero or close. (the server ends up owing money at the end of the year). With PS, I have to come up with other options for getting the paycheck to zero (like getting the business to cover the taxes in the meantime).

Patriot Payroll has great customer service and is easy to use!!

This is a very user-friendly and inexpensive way to get payroll done. This software has saved our company a lot of time and money. I would recommend this product to small and medium-size companies.

Pros

The customer support is very effective and made Implementation process very smooth. The process for logging employee hours and applying deductions are very easy to understand and straightforward. This product has a very user-friendly UI that is clean and very intuitive, this makes reporting very flexible. This is a cost effective solution for small companies as long as you do not need extensive job costing integration into an accounting system.

Cons

The direct deposit functionality is very restrictive at times and they require that the payroll is processed by Monday for it to be distributed to the employee's account on Friday. Patriot Payroll does use ADP as a third party to do the direct deposits. This doesn't really work well with our paperless environment. After you have entered hours you can not go back and correct any mistakes you may have made on a payroll deduction. This is frustrating at times. You have to delete the entire payroll, edit the deduction and then re-enter the payroll. This makes the software feel very clunky, an alternative would be to approve the payroll void the incorrect check and then re-run another payroll.

Tony, as of December 2018, we no longer use a third party to manage direct deposit. Everything is seamless and in our software. Did you know that if you are paying your employees by direct deposit, and have set them up with the free employee portal, no printing is necessary on your end? Employees can log in to their employee portal and download paystubs from their if needed, making your payroll paperless. :)