Patriot Payroll Reviews

Pros

I am very pleased and happy because the excellent support which comes with the program.

Joerg W.

I love how easy the site is to use & how helpful customer support is. Those 2 things are very important to us.

John K.

At the time my client liked the affordability of the software. Costs for self service payroll is very affordable which is great for small business.

Frank T.

Cons

All our employees are not eligible for the same time off accrual, and the inability to change individual time-off/holiday settings was initially quite frustrating.

Sierra M.

The set up was awful and Patriot left me on an island and did not finalize anything and failed to file any state reports.

David B.

Diana C.

2,283

2,685 reviews

1st Time Business Owner, 1st Time Using Payroll Software

Transcript

Emmanuel M.: Hi, I'm Emmanuel. I'm the owner and trainer here at a fitness studio and I give Patriot...

Easy for first time users!

Transcript

Vivian L: I'm Vivian. I work for a window washing company. I'm the head of finance, and I give Patriot...

Most pleased... intuitive and easy to use

Exceptional. Easy to use. Quick response on questions.

Pros

Intuitive, flexible, suits all my needs, takes care of the IRS, W2s, 1099... I love it.. Would cost me four times as much to even think about having a bookkeeper do this for me.. Excellent for small non-profit and for entrepreneurs.

Cons

Not really any. Took a little time to set up, but that is expected.

Excellent customer service, easy and very reasonable fees!

Easy, self guided processing. easy to see reports. Customer service is available live as needed. ususally not a very long wait on the call. Easy on the eyes site. Reasonable fees for this type of service. Well priced and I always recommend it!!

Pros

I had been in bussiness for over 30 years, had many different large payroll companies and love this platform, company , live customer service that are always knowledgable, well trained and great value for the service.

Cons

At times, It was not very intuitive when it came to seeing invidual payroll and also when I needed to figure out and adjust Contributions. Ususally had to call customer support.

Get a real company to do your payroll

Pros

It is very inexpensive and takes on clients that have very few employees. Customer service reps are EXTREMELY HELPFUL, polite, and very knowledgeable of the program abilities and shortfalls.

Cons

You can cancel ANYTIME, but then you have to send all the State/Government taxes collect to their respective agencies with the appropriate paperwork. Patriot sends all the taxes back to you to deal with. Some taxes are due annually, due the end of January, so if you want Patriot to file it, you have to keep the subscription until that date. Nickel and diming. If you want them to track sick days, accumulated...

I'd like to take the opportunity to clarify some of your misgivings about Patriot: 1. You are correct, you can cancel anytime. If you do cancel, we do give you any money back we have collected so that you can make your filings yourself. If you want Patriot to file, for you, (we'd be happy to), you just need to cancel after the filings have been made. 2. You do not get charged to keep track of sick...

Excellent Product

Simple, easy, efficient, effective, perfect.

Pros

It has made payroll extraordinarily easy and simple. I have no issues running payroll and reporting and filings are done seamlessly and accurately with the state and the IRS.

Cons

It took me a time to get the right tax id numbers but that was a state issue, not a software issue. so I have no complaints on the software

Great full service product for an affordable price

So far it is going great, and I think all the calculations are accurate. Hoping this quarter goes smoothly with the Worker's Comp filings, so I won't have to deal with this myself!

Pros

I love that they offer everything my client needs, including worker's comp filings in Wyoming. They are also much more affordable than QBO Payroll.

Cons

It is a little hard to navigate at first, and confusing to set up or transition to from an old payroll provider. Also I don't like that you only have one day to submit payroll before they cut off the direct deposit abilities.

Great software

Overall, I would say I've had a very good experience with Patriot Payroll and I'm very impressed with their platform for all small business users.

Pros

It's easy to use and the customer service is the best in the industry! They even have a team that will import all of your previous data from earlier quarters if you decide to move in the middle of the year. Can't say enough about this software because it was made for small business owners.

Cons

It is a bit time consuming to set up as there as days you have to wait for them to verify your ID numbers with state revenue departments and confirm test deposit amounts.

Family Owned Business Life Saver

Pros

Such an easy to use database! Just what I need and nothing more to have to maneuver around has made life so much easier and convenient! We switched from another company that offers all or none and was charging us for services that our business couldn't use. So thankful to have found Patriot Software!

Cons

So far I have not encountered any issues with the software.

Great product

Pros

Patriot takes care of all the tax filings and the direct deposits.

Cons

I have not discovered any cons regarding this product.

Simple and exactly what my small business needed

Pros

Processing payroll and filing the necessary taxes is a breeze.

Cons

Truthfully in the beginning I was a little confused about the NJ withholdings and SUTA tax rates. But I'm not sure this is a Patriot issue, more likely that NJ has very confusing tax laws.

I am EXTREMELY satisfied with this software!!

I am just starting the payroll but the setup leaves me excited to see how we progress through it.

Pros

I absolutely love the fact that I can run EVERYTHING in 1 place!

Cons

I have not found anything that I do not like thus far

Great for tight budgets

Overall, Patriot has been a great tool and it freed me from the clutches of Intuit, maker of Quickbooks. I spend a fraction of what I used to pay Intuit and I get more features with better customer service. I also looked at Gusto and Paychex, but Patriot was the cheapest option with the most features, hands down.

Pros

I signed up as a Partner and got 50% discount off the retail rates. I like that the full service payroll handles all the tax remittances and reporting. Plus, I generated W-2s with the click of a button.

Cons

My biggest disappointment was the 4 day lead time on Direct Deposit. We typically set up pay periods to end on Saturday, so we had to run payroll on Monday in order to make direct deposit show up on Friday. That left no cushion of time and a holiday pushed the direct deposit back to the following Monday! The "solution" was to Prefund the Payroll by giving Patriot a "Deposit" that they used for each payroll and then "refilled" to the set amount. Luckily, this worked for my some of my clients, but many of them can't afford to tie up that much cash. This may be a deal breaker for some companies.

Patriot is an amazing platform for small businesses

I have been a customer for over 4 years. I left for a brief time thinking I could find something better but after only 5 months, I came back to Patriot. There short falls do not add up to their amazing customer service!

Pros

You can't beat the price point for the technology. it's a solid platform for a small business. They are constantly developing new features that enhance the experience. Their customer service is the best in the business, by far! I don't know how they do it but they hire the nicest most helpful people out there.

Cons

Their reports are somewhat limited and the ability to capture history for changes is non-existent.

Patriot Software is the way to go!

My experience has been wonderful overall with Patriot Payroll. I am able to process my payroll easily and efficiently. I haven't needed external assistance because the system is so user-friendly that I am able to handle all of my needs on my own.

Pros

Patriot Software Payroll is very easy to use! It is very simple to make any adjustments to the employee files and also to print off any necessary reports. I can always find what I am looking for!

Cons

The only feature that I find frustrating, is when I am inputting the information for payroll and then I need to back out of the screen to update an employee file for whatever reason and all of my information that I have entered has to be deleted. It would be better if the information was able to be saved and then edited later, if needed. It is frustrating when you need to make one small change to one employee file and therefore you lose ALL of the input you put in for the other employees and have to re-enter all of the information.

Game Changer For Us

Pros

We like that we can white label the product. I am big in branding, so beng able to have this as white label, for me, is excellent. The software is easy to use, easy to onboard. The portal works great. We charge our customers, so being a royalty member with multiple clients, I get a good rate, and can always make money doing payroll. Also, it is residual, I always make the difference between what I charge and what I pay. They more clients I get, the less I pay, so the more i make

Cons

There are some features that I wish they had. Auto running payroll for companies that everyone is on salary. Also for sending out 401k, pension, etc, if they did that for us

Awesome Software and Support!

Overall, I am very pleased with Patriot Payroll and am very glad we choose to go with them for the payroll needs of our clients. I work with a lot of small churches and Patriot makes it easier to keep our cost affordable for them.

Pros

I love that is easy as an accountant to set up and use this payroll software without contacting support for every little thing...even tho their support is one the things I like most about this software! They are very responsive and knowledgeable ....most of the time =) I also like the price. It is the main reason I chose this software. Now I stay because it is awesome software as well =)

Cons

The integration with QBO is not very good. It creates a journal entry in QBO everytime payroll is processed, but we always have to go in and "edit" the JE as it doesn't let you choose classes or even liability accounts to map to =( I also wish it had a way to put some payrolls on "auto" that are always the same, but I heard a rumour that may be a future feature =)

Summary

Major benefit is Patriot is less expensive than ADP and easier to use.

Pros

To generate a payroll period, it is straight forward. I appreciate the fact of Patriot taking care of the tax filings. I also appreciated that they automatically added the FFCRA paid leave and paid FLMA leave . I greatly appreciate their customer service personnel. They appear to train them well and are actually helpful either knowing the answer/solution or will inquire with a supervisor to get an answer if at all possible. If not, they are great in following up with an answer or simply responding that they are still researching.

Cons

Navigating through reports could be improved by having a link on every report window to go back to the Report menu rather than having to use the side menu bar. When navigating EE time cards, it would be nice to have the dates appear at the top of the page as you scroll down to enter other hours to ensure you are entering on the correct day. I would prefer EE timecards would open to the pay period...

Overall please with our switch from Quickbooks to Patriot

Overall we have had a great experience with patriot, we had quite a few issues with the transition over (mainly due to the fact we made the switch in the 4th Qtr of 2019 so there was a ton of data to be entered). Because of the amount of data and timing we have had several issues with our tax filing from 2019- but what I love the most about patriot is that they are the most accessible help line that I have ever came across in the business world, you rarely wait on hold for longer than 10 minutes and it has never taken them longer than a few hours to respond to emails- making problem resolutions very quick.

Pros

I love how organized it keeps all of our data and the ability to send our hourly time clocks straight to the payroll.

Cons

I wish that you could hide inactive employees from the reports drop downs, and wish that you could create groups within the reports so that you dont have to hunt and peck for certain employees when running reports. I also wish that there was a way for the managers to view hourly time clocks without needing access to the main admin account.

Patriot Payroll, Perfect for small business's

Anyting you need to do for payroll, taxes, tax filing, W2's etc, it's all there. At the end of the year, print out your payroll and tax papers, give them to your tax preparer and your done. Literally in 10 minutes (including print time) your paperwork is done. They do it all for you!

Pros

When joining Patriot Payroll, I was sceptical about the cost and functionality. I have used 3 "big name" companies, and was always in disagreement about their products, pricing and what they actually did. When you need payroll, it was one cost, then if you needed reports, tax payments, and many other things, the costs just kept going up. Those costs avergaed $150 a month. Now I see why they are...

Cons

None that I can think of, and after many years of using, that's awesome!

Solid Tool, Some Shortcomings

Performing the payroll function is the easiest and best function. It has been simple to learn overall (with a few exceptions). Those items I had issues with the support team was great in assisting me directly (usually the chat function).

Pros

Ease of performing payroll functions that are beyond my capabilities. Enter all the data and it runs appropriately, collects the taxes, and keeps us legal and current on tax liabilities. These are all functions that would take significantly more time to accomplish without Patriot (and I would be uncertain if they were done correctly).

Cons

Several of the tools are difficult to use/understand how best to use such as the PTO/holiday accrual system, paycheck withdrawals, etc. I did figure out how to use them, but once I did, there were "orphan rules" I no longer needed/wanted and no way to delete them (and no way to make them do what I needed, which is why they were abandoned). The other issue I have had is the way PTO works (rules are...

Accessible staff to help you get up & running/for ongoing support & very EASY to use.

I lost my payroll person when covid hit. I was stressed about this because finding anyone to take on more business when lockdown happened wasn't going to happen. Something about that virus caused a vast majority of people to stop working altogether, so it was a stressful time for me. Patriot software personnel did not stop working though. They were right there to ease that stress and keep my business...

Pros

Biggest thing initially - someone was there when I called to ask for help (when setting up one may have a question or two). When they answer they sound like they are right there with me, and are friendly and patient. Just amazing customer support, which tells me quarterlies & all other data will be accurate when it's submitted (they seem to really care). I love that all of my data is filed within their system as well. Very easy to use. It takes me less than 5 minutes to do payroll from inputting hours to printing out check registers. It does the hard work for you, so you can tend to the business you're running.

Cons

It's difficult to think of something negative because everything a business owner wants is there. If something has been challenging to me, (not experienced in payroll), I just call them up. My advice is to know what your State unemployment rate is when setting it up since this can be different for everyone, and know they are there if one gets confused.

Extremely easy to use - Excellent US-based support

Pros

I absolutely love how responsive Patriot's support is and it's US-based, which is a huge plus because of alternative language barriers or time zone issues. They offer phone, email and/or chat support with low to no wait times. I love how self-explanatory things are - it's easy to 'find' what you're trying to do in most cases, without enlisting the help of Support. Definitely saves me time and money versus using an overpriced and under-delivering PEO, that's for sure.

Cons

Patriot does not yet offer the ability to break employees out by department, which is particularly useful for reporting purposes, when entering info into accounting software such as QBO, etc. While I'm told they're working on this functionality, it's been 9 months since I was told this and am still not hearing updates on progress in rolling this out. But we have since come up with a feasible workaround and realize no single solution will do 100% of what you're needing, in almost any case. So it's not impacting our workflow in an overall negative way, it'd just be nice to have this when it rolls out.

Patriot Software

Customer Service is great . It's not always intuitive with where to find things, but over the year + we've used it they've made a few great improvments (like multi hour wages, and pto tracking).

Pros

We use Patriot Software in a wide variety of industries (restaurant, retail, day care, and more). I love how I can set it up for a client, and show them briefly how to run their own payroll. Very easy for simply payrolls.

Cons

My biggest pet peeve is the inflexibility of making tax adjustments. For Example: a restaurant where they pay out tips each night means that a check would be for sever hours only, usually about $40 for the week. The tips justify enough taxes that they end up with a negative paycheck. In any other system I can manually adjust the taxes held to get the check to zero or close. (the server ends up owing money at the end of the year). With PS, I have to come up with other options for getting the paycheck to zero (like getting the business to cover the taxes in the meantime).

Patriot Payroll has great customer service and is easy to use!!

This is a very user-friendly and inexpensive way to get payroll done. This software has saved our company a lot of time and money. I would recommend this product to small and medium-size companies.

Pros

The customer support is very effective and made Implementation process very smooth. The process for logging employee hours and applying deductions are very easy to understand and straightforward. This product has a very user-friendly UI that is clean and very intuitive, this makes reporting very flexible. This is a cost effective solution for small companies as long as you do not need extensive job costing integration into an accounting system.

Cons

The direct deposit functionality is very restrictive at times and they require that the payroll is processed by Monday for it to be distributed to the employee's account on Friday. Patriot Payroll does use ADP as a third party to do the direct deposits. This doesn't really work well with our paperless environment. After you have entered hours you can not go back and correct any mistakes you may have made on a payroll deduction. This is frustrating at times. You have to delete the entire payroll, edit the deduction and then re-enter the payroll. This makes the software feel very clunky, an alternative would be to approve the payroll void the incorrect check and then re-run another payroll.

Tony, as of December 2018, we no longer use a third party to manage direct deposit. Everything is seamless and in our software. Did you know that if you are paying your employees by direct deposit, and have set them up with the free employee portal, no printing is necessary on your end? Employees can log in to their employee portal and download paystubs from their if needed, making your payroll paperless. :)

Great for Small Business

Pros

Overall Patriot Payroll systems have been very user friendly for our small medical practice. Timecard features are easy to use for employees and payroll administration. Adding payroll features such as insurance deductions, 401(k) contributions and payroll advancement deductions are easy to implement and are immediately updated in the system. Patriot makes it easy to find payroll tax filings and keeping track of accrued time-off benefits for employees. I would highly recommend this software for small businesses looking for an easy-to-maintain payroll solution.

Cons

Some of the payroll tax integrations could be improved on a state-by-state basis. It's not as intuitive if an employee wants to make certain tax deductions (withholding more than just standard deductions). Also, if you have employees who often work at multiple sites, there's no easy way to select the location where the work is performed other than updating the employees profile and changing it on a daily basis when submitting your payroll. Also, it would be nice to have time-off accrual rules built in to the employee profile as opposed to going into the separate module for time-off rules, but this is a very minor issue.

Bang for your buck!

I had tried ADP and PAYCHEX before switching to Patriot. As a sole proprietor running a small business, I was not prepared to handle payroll taxes. ADP was so expensive, i felt. Paychex had me depend on a person to take my info and process it. That person was off one day when my payroll needed completed and i missed payroll! That didn't go over well. For the last few years we have used and fallen in love with the simplicity of Patriot. I input the numbers and it gives me a PDF to print onto my checks instantly. It's all I ever wanted.

Pros

1.) Its simple to use. 2.) Its cheap. 3.) Full featured but lets me print my own checks instantly.

Cons

I thought at first that Patriot was going to send out the Tax documents to my employees. But that wasnt the case. That was a bummer as i wasnt at first prepared. But it makes since that we should send them to know we meet our deadlines and have proof they were sent.

Neal, you've made our day! Thank you for spreading the word about Patriot!