Modernizing Medicine Reviews

Pros

The product was relatively new at the time we began and far from perfect, but it has improved by leaps and bounds - and Modernizing Medicine continues to find ways to improve it regularly.

BC

Brian C.

Customer support is friendly and helpful. I believe this is the best EHR choice out there for surgical specialty practices like mine.

DJ

David J.

I have found the customer support to be responsive. What has impressed me more about Modernizing Medicine is that there are frequent updates to the product.

ED

Eileen D.

EN

Erik N.

This means loss of revenue for the practice. The reminder system is also very redundant and I have had numerous patient complaints over it.

CS

Cynthia S.

Very poor communication about their contract, because the leaders of this.

An EMR that puts the physician and patient first

Pros

Specialty-specific EMR built that is easy to use and intuitive. Assists with proper ICD-10 coding and use of modifiers. Additional modules for Pathology, Practice Management/Billing, Telemedicine, and MIPS reporting are available as integrated features. A proactive and responsive company that takes provider issues and input seriously.

Cons

The system is designed around an optimal workflow. As with any EMR, office workflows will need to be updated in order to align with the system's capabilities.

Tom, thank you for taking the time to share your review and for your continued support! -Alex B., Marketing

Best EHR I’ve used!

Our entire practice runs on ModMed EHR and practice management. This is the best business move I have ever made.

Pros

EMA (Electronic Medical Assistant) by Modernizing Medicine increased my productivity by 3-fold. That is to say, with this product I can see 3X more patients than I could without it. Charting is meticulous and fast, and visits are completed by the time the patient leaves. Frequently updated to give requested features — updates occur about every 2-6 weeks. Tech support is excellent and responsive. Requests for enhancements are responded to rapidly.

Cons

Steep learning curve when starting makes it seem intimidating, but after a few days of use, it becomes automatic. Frequent updates sometimes introduce coding errors that need correction

Hi Dr. Gorenberg - Thank you so much for the great feedback and sharing your review with others considering our EHR and suite of solutions. - Holly, Clinical Solutions Manager

The schedule is development's redheaded stepchild

EMA is robust, and the PM system has come a long way in the past few years. Medical documentation is vital (EMA), and the billing portion of the PM has understandably received more attention and more advancement than the scheduling portion. Hence my title.

Pros

Integration with Relatient for appointment confirmations

Cons

The list is long, but here are a few highlights: -Desperately need permissions granularity by user and by appt category (preference group). -When an account is inactivated users are still able to set appts. Not ok. Inactivating an account should disable it from a scheduling perspective. -As an administrator I'm spending way too much time changing the templating daily. The templating is simplistic...

Dear Charity - Thank you for taking the time to share your detailed feedback with us. I have personally shared this with our product teams here for review. Our support team will be reaching out directly to you to assist on several of the items noted. - Holly A., Clinical Solutions Manager

Pros and Cons

Overall, Mod Med doesn't work great for the cosmetic side of our practice. Derm has had better results, but it is not well designed for cosmetic patients that pay at their visit.

Pros

There are many things I like- it is very intuitive and easy to use, and when you do get stuck, there is a help button that actually works pretty well.

Cons

My least favorite thing is how clunky it is. It takes way too many steps to complete any simple task. It doesn't save your place either, so you often have to start all over when jumping around from place to place in the software.

EMA Review

Coding has increased our efficiency and bottom line.

Pros

We have EMA and MODMED PM , which saves us from bridging the systems. The physicians and staff have enjoyed the ease of the system. We are also happy with the continual updates. We have sent in suggestions for change over the past 2 years and many of those have been implemented. The support has been really helpful as well

Cons

The cost of the program and additional modules is substantial.

Hi Patti - We're happy to hear that using EMA and our PM system have helped bring efficiency to your practice. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback! -Holly A. Clinical Solutions Manager

Modernizing Medicine is the worst part of my medical practice

Customer service is the absolute worst. They are only concerned with selling software to new users. They stole $3500 out of my automated payment set up with my bank account and still haven’t returned it.

Pros

Graphics and ability to take photos. Operative note capability has been improving.

Cons

Frequent downtime and glitches in the software, user unfriendly, many redundant time consuming data entry areas, lack of billing codes and text for common procedures

EMA is the best ophthalmology EHR available.

Our experience has been so excellent with both the EHR product itself as well as the Modernizing Medicine team that we have since adapted their practice management software as well. While using another practice management company we were able to directly contrast the customer support between the two companies...and there was no comparison. From implementation to troubleshooting, the support from...

Pros

The intuitive interface makes documentation far easier than any of the other systems we tested before choosing EMA. Even our more senior partners were able to adapt to this system coming from decades of paper charting only and without having to employ scribes.

Cons

We are ‘dead in the water’ on the very rare occasion that we loose internet connectivity. Currently there is no way to access prior patient records or testing since it is all stored on a cloud server. In 4 years of using this system we have only had this happen 2 or 3 times for a period of 1 hour to half a day. This has never been a problem with the EHR system itself but was either our internet service provider or once when there was an ‘attack’ on the amazon server system. Reverting back to paper at those times was a great way for us to realize how much we preferred documenting in EMA rather than paper!

Good morning Dr. Niemi - Wow, thank you! We very much appreciate you taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us and others considering our software. Thank you from the entire Modernizing Medicine team! -Holly A., Clinical Solutions Manager

Issues with this rapidly growing company

I truly am happy with the back office EMR but wish I would have asked around about their PM and appointment reminder systems. These 2 areas need a lot of work and unfortunately the company is not good at client relations. I feel they are not up to the average standard for comparable products in appointment reminders and PM.

Pros

It has a great user friendly back office EMR system.

Cons

Their PM service is not good at all. It takes my receptionists and office manager twice the time to input a patient, schedule an appointment, move an appointment, and run routine reports than our previous software. Also, the patient reminder system ( Relatient) is awful. It does not connect in real time to the practice schedule and requires extra work to find out if a patient has cancelled an appointment....

Top Notch Customer Service

Pros

We have been a ModMed EMA and PM customer since 2016 and are very pleased. We have implemented a very streamlined workflow within the office which has created room for more productivity and revenue.

Cons

ModMed is selective on integration with other software but have been very receptive to suggestions and change.

Absolute best EHR System for Specialties

The easiest EHR system I have ever used and very applicable to the specific specialty (at least from mt experience-- Dermatology)

Pros

This software is very user friendly, easy to learn, easy to use and saves A LOT of time for the doctor/provider or medical assistants/scribes.

Cons

More customization features specifically for one's practice would be nice however it is a stand out product as is

We so appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us and those considering our EHR system. Thank you! - Holly A., Clinical Solutions Manager

EHR of the Future

We use the Modernizing Medicine EMA Orthopedic platform and are very happy to have found an EHR company that works with us and their other clients to make the system better for all. I also like the fact that each of the other EHR domains (ex. Derm, gastro, etc.) work together re utilizing tools already developed/solved for other domains instead of always having to design items from scratch, this dramatically improves the time from a "client system request" to "included in a release". If you are in the market for an EHR, I would suggest you take a serious look at the EMA platform from Modernizing Medicine and then decide if the system is right for your practice. Modernizing Medicine is a great company to work with in solving your clinical workflow challenges.

Pros

Excellent technical support staff and training staff. The ModMed Programming team is constantly coming out with updates and additional needed/requested functionality. They are always open to listen and understand the problems faced by our clinical staff and providers in order to design, develop, and implement solutions to our problems. The staff from Modernizing Medicine is always delightful to deal with and they are fully supportive of delivering the best experience and easing documentation burden around the clinical visit compared to other EHRs

Cons

The system is designed around the physician workflow and smaller office staff, this system is not as user friendly for office staff not involved with the clinical visit when you get into a large, busy clinic. Many of the administrative features found in the larger client base systems are not found in this one. They are making progress on all of the above with each and every update!

Dear Adam - We cannot thank you enough for taking the time to share your honest feedback with us and others considering our software. We value the relationship we have with you and the entire MSK team. - Tara W., VP of Orthopedics & Pain Management

This reviewer only left a rating

I lead the Administration and Operations for a 5 physician, 4 physician extender dermatology practice. Prior to this position, I spent 17 years as a senior executive at Accenture, the world's largest technology consulting firm. In this role, I worked with many Fortune 100 companies and their technology vendors. Software company evaluation and selection is one of my areas of depth and experience. Our...

This reviewer only left a rating

I am in a 2 person general dermatology and Mohs surgery practice. I was using a paper chart system prior to switching to EMA in 2011, and now have almost 12000 visits documented in EMA. I always thought that when I left the military and entered private practice 16 years ago, I would adopt an EHR system very soon. I quickly realized that it was not easy to find a system out there that could match...

This reviewer only left a rating

I am the owner/doctor of a solo ophthalmology practice and just opened a little over a year ago. I only have two staff members: a receptionist and a tech. I wanted to start off right away with an electronic health record system because I didn't have much storage space in my new office. I also wanted to qualify for Meaningful Use. I was looking for a cloud-based electronic health record (EHR) system...

Cons

EMA-Ophthalmology is well-designed for the specialty. It has great functionality & is user friendly.

EMA-Ophthalmology is a great system and saves trees. Patients are impressed with not having to fill out paperwork, since our technicians update their medical history and current medications while they are dilating. We like not having to store paper records or maintain an expensive server.

Pros

The ModMed customer support is very responsive and professional. EMA's cloud-based design and integration with our practice management system has allowed our practice to be virtually paper-free. It took a bit of effort to get protocols set up to streamline our visit notes, but now it is a big time saver. The e-prescribing function and new office flow features are great. We use the EMA app for iPads primarily, but the web version is also easy to use. I recently attended their annual conference and was thoroughly impressed with the company's sincere interest in user feedback to constantly improve their product.

Cons

There was one time (once in two years) when the system was unavailable for a couple of hours, but we used the "Paper EMA" sheets you can download and print as a back-up until it was restored. The only other negative we have noticed is that it is difficult for the system to bill corneal topography with the correct codes.

Hi Maria - Thank you so much for taking the time to share your positive feedback about EMA with us and others. As always, if there's anything our team can assist with please do let us know. Take care! -Alex B. in Marketing

Best Dermatology EMR

I bought a small dermatology practice and converted a paper practice to EMR- best decision I made because I am efficient, compliant, and can deliver great patient care.

Pros

Best dermatology EMR out there, very streamlined and easy to use. I am incredibly happy with my choice because it gives me efficiency, and it has very nice built in capabilities for dermatology. There is also analytics built into it which help you run all kinds of reports including CPT code, diagnosis, referring doctor, patient reports and many others. There is also a practice management system that fully integrates with the EMR so you can have all in one and no need for another. I personally use Kareo which integrates quite well with it. Great support team when you need them.

Cons

It is more costly than other EMRs but you get what you pay for- I would rather pay more for a better product.

Hello! We greatly appreciate you taking the time to share your honest feedback with us and those considering our EHR, EMA. We're thrilled to hear you have been happy with your decision.

Very happy otolaryngology practice!

Mod Med was on our short list of four vendors for evaluation. Two were specialty specific, two were general. 1.5 years into our installation, we are SO GLAD that we selected this system and strategic vendor partner.

Pros

Doctors love the iPad device. We absorbed staff attrition because of system efficiencies, now doing the same clinical work with less staff. Practice Management has been a pleasant surprise. We now collect 10% better than with our previous system because of integrated clearing house and point-of-sale merchant services devices.

Cons

Mod Med is a dynamic company and constantly updating the products. We love that! The frequent updates requires you to keep up with release notes (we don't mind this) and sometimes a new release breaks old features (we don't appreciate this). There's still room for better alpha/beta testing. Additionally, Mod Med needs to enhance ancillary service features (audiology, allergy). We know those changes are on the road map, but we need them.

Good morning Barry - Thank you so much for taking the time to share such a detailed review with us and other considering our ENT EHR system. - Holly A., Clinical Solutions Manager

Great EMR product

Pros

Modernizing Medicine better known as EMA is by far one of the most user friendly and easy to navigate products on the market. I like the big print and colors that are easy on the eye. Using an EMR daily, 5 days a week requires many hours on your computer or tablet. Modernizing medicine has really taken the time to listen to their users to make a very well rounded product.

Cons

When in a patient's file it would be helpful to click on the results log within the patient's file. Not have to choose results log, input the patient's name, apply filters and then the pathology appears so I can enter my documentation.

Hi Linda - Thank you so much for taking the time to share your positive review and some great product feedback as well. I will certainly pass this along to our teams as we love sharing our clients' success stories and areas to improve our products. Glad to have you as part of the Modernizing Medicine family! - Holly, Clinical Solutions Manager

Finally a specialty EMR done right!

Overall excellent software. It might cost more than some of the others but I believe it is worth it and should allow you to see more patients, therefore bring more money in, in the end. I came from working in a derm office using this platform and am now in Plastics and am desperately trying to convert my new practice to EMA Plastics.

Pros

They clearly listen to providers and are constantly making changes to improve their system. It comes with built in counseling, patient education, diagnosis codes, it codes all your office visits/procedures for you, keeps track of global periods, allows before and after image comparison (which is huge for stubborn acne teens), it is user friendly, works across desktops, ipads, iphones, the through the use of protocols, it can make charting go extremely fast!

Cons

There is always room for improvement but overall I can't really say anything that stands out for negatives. It would be nice if some of the standardized features like patient history, patient portal had some customizable features or the ability to rearrange topics for personal workflow, but it's nothing major.

One of the first users

Pros

The software was easy to implement and fairly easy to learn. The ability to learn in the "sandbox" before going live with real patients was extremely helpful. As with all new programs, there is a learning curve, but based on comments from physicians in our area regarding their EMR programs, Modernizing Medicine was the easiest to learn and the least problematic. The support you receive is excellent. There is always someone to talk to about any problems or questions you may have.

Cons

The main problem we have is we kept our practice management system, which required Modernizing Medicine to create a bridge that allows the demographics to transfer from one program to the other. It only takes a minute; however, when the clinic is very busy, that minute seems more like 5. As far as the vendor, I can't think of any negative.

Overall great system that only misses on minor features

EMA has allowed us to cut down on the time that our providers spend entering notes by orders of magnitude over other systems we have tried.

Pros

Ease of use and functionality. It is only missing a few small features that I think would make things easier. There is no way, for example, for a manager to get ability to view all tasks assigned to all staff members. Only the assigner and assignee can see the task. Additionally, the system does not incorporate "." phrase programming for frequently used phrases.

Cons

It is expensive. Full licenses are relatively high priced and pricing faxing per fax sent puts that feature out of range for most busy practices, including ours.

Good morning James - Thank you so much for taking the time share your feedback with us and those considering our urology EHR. We will pass along your suggestions as well to our team here. -Holly A., Clinical Solutions Manager

amazing work flow , MIPS usage extremely easy, good customer support

clear and accurate data to complete a visit with a patient in a timely manner. EMA integrates with our Billing software and make workflow easy daily for staff. The clicks of the system are minimal. From previous EMR's there is no comparison to the function of EMA. Good job to the developers and the continued software updates to improve functionality of the program.

Pros

Easy work flow and customer service is fabulous. The program allows easy usage of patients visit information and population of MIPS requirements. Pathology reports, consents and much more is very organized and minimal clicks to function.

Cons

Good morning, Linda - Thank you so much for taking the time to share your positive review and feedback. We will certainly pass this along to our teams as we love sharing our clients' success stories. We're glad to have you as part of the Modernizing Medicine family! -Alex B., Marketing at Modernizing Medicine

Look No Farther

After using other EMR's, EMA was a dream come true. I wouldn't want to run my practice without it. It is the first system that I found better—and it was FAR better—than paper.

Pros

It was quick and easy to use. I completed the training each evening on my own. The training was excellent and I was very ready to use it well the first day I went live. It got better from there. The program was essentially never down (maybe 15 minutes once in a year). The staff loved the program. They also found it easy to learn and efficient to use. They loved the automation features.

Cons

Creating and modifying scheduling templates was complex for our office. Office supply inventory is not yet completed.

Dr. Mills, thank you for sharing your positive feedback with us and glad the training was beneficial. -Holly A., Clinical Solutions Manager

Great product

Overall, they are pretty reliable and their system works really well with our PM system, so win win all around.

Pros

EMA is a great, they keep you informed and are always up to date with all new and important information that pertains to your practice. They are always putting webinars out there so many options for training and knowledge issues.

Cons

When a problem arises, sometimes you cannot reach someone directly and leaving an email is not always convenient. The response is too delayed and very frustrating.

Dear Jennifer - Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback with us and others considering our EHR system, EMA. -Holly A., Clinical Solutions Manager

EMA as a great tool for a multi-location dermatology group.

Pros

EMA provides a very thorough set of tools with which to chart and track patient visits for Dermatology. It is visually pleasing, robust, easy to teach, and easy to navigate for Doctors and Staff alike. We have found that the software is able to document both routine and unusual visits with similar ease. Great features like "stickiness" make routine tasks increasingly simpler overtime. As a company,...

Cons

Because the software is web-based and centralized, it is not always suitable to unique needs or special requests of any specific practice. That said, most of our needs have been addressed within the software.