Bitbucket

Bitbucket is the Git solution for professional teams

Bitbucket Reviews

Pros

It has a good interface and can be straightforward to use. Accounts are free which is nice.

Mark S.

The best features about bitbucket is the integration it has with all of Atlassian's other software such as Jira or Confluence which the integration is flawless.

Jorge M.

It's as complete as Github in terms of functionality and it has a really good UI, on par and at times better than Github. Pricing structure is much better for agencies like us.

Marcio M.

Jander S.

It has some features missing which Github offers and is a little more expensive. It is not as complete as Github.

Searching in the files and code is very tedious. Navigating to pipelines and releases are confusing.

Altaf A.

Great option for private repositories

Transcript

Zach C.: Hi. My name's Zach. I'm a CTO, and I give Bitbucket a five out of five. For more reviews like...

The simplest source code control

Pros

A better integration with other Atlassian products as well as other products like Slack, the very useful pipeline feature that automates the building process, the simplest interface, private repositories even for free users.

Cons

To get the most and complete experience for this product is only if you have the Atlassian ecosystem, not so stable as GitHub, but this problem is not common, unable to archive repositories, the search needs a little bit improvement.

An easy and fast way to keep track of your elements and their modifications.

Bitbucket is a very useful version control tool, easy to master and with many useful tools that will help you speed up your work, of course it has certain shortcomings that could be improved over time, but at the end of the day it is a tool very useful. From the most basic to the most complex options, you will find them extremely useful in your day to day work to get ahead.

Pros

Bitbucket has a very friendly interface that is easy to understand and understand, it allows you to maintain control and order of all your elements and keep track of each modification that was made and by whom said modification was made. It allows you to establish different types of permissions as necessary to have a better control of who can perform what actions within the repositories that are created in bitbucket. Once you get familiar with the tool, everything is easy to do and locate any option you are looking for to carry out your tasks.

Cons

Sometimes the way it provides you to search within each repository can be somewhat cumbersome, requiring you to write the exact name of the component you may be looking for in order to show you a result, making the searches more strenuous since you must know the exact name of the component or it will be very difficult to find it. In some cases, when versioning certain changes, Bitbucket interprets them as a total change within the component and shows as if the file was being completely modified even if you are only modifying some lines of code.

Source code management with bitbucket

Source code management with integration to CI pipeline and integrating with jira to provide traceability to code commits etc.

Pros

Easy to work with as it provides integration with git client which is widely used across industry. Also it provides APIs that you can use to connect and do automated commits and generate various reports. Can be easily integrated with the Jenkins pipeline using the hooks also has capability to add pre commit hooks so that you can make custom rules like commit message should have jira story# for your commit to be successful

Cons

Overall it’s very good but branch management needs to be more efficient with increase in feature branches over the time if the developer does not delete them it impacts the performance. There should be automated way of archiving the branch if there are no commits for a certain duration

Easy integration with JIRA but not as good as Github

Only able to work with basic version control but would like to see more improvements in the future.

Pros

I like the auto-tagging of JIRA issues with code commits on PR. The bare minimum requirement for a functional version-control system is fulfilled.

Cons

Github has started supporting multi-line commenting on PRs. I don't think I can find any dev who won't like this feature. It also has a colorful README rendering along with build and test coverage tags. I don't care much about README renders but am out-of-the-box CI integration with Jenkins can help in outputting data about many useful tags like code test coverage, code standards, reference available or even licensing. There are many extensions built around Github to augment the experience, one in particular that I like, called OctoLinker, has the ability to link the imports with original source code repository. This could be a useful feature in source code view.

Bitbucket

We have years of commits and versioning of our software. Bitbucket is our source of truth when we talk about code.

Pros

Clean interface, good notifications, good user/team management. It plays very well with other Atlassian software, specially Jira in our case.

Cons

I don't have anything critical to point here. My team says they would like to have more dashboard views, but that's not critical.

Easy version control with BitBucket if you use Jira

Overall, BitBucket has served us really well as we use it daily for Git version control, Pull Requests and Code Review. It's integration with Jira makes our workflow very easy and transparent, which reduces expenses in doing discoveries.

Pros

BitBucket's integration with Jira is spectacular. I can go to BitBucket commit and see what problem it was solving since it has a Jira link. BitBucket branches can be created right from Jira as well. Jira also shows all commits. This makes information gathering easy and code review pleasant.

Cons

BitBucket has more downtimes that I like. In 2020, there were 2 downtimes within a gap of a month. This is the only thing that bothered us about BitBucket.

The Best "web ui" Git SaaS

My overall experience with Bitbucket was awesome technically speak during all the time I used it. No complaints about software quality, performance, or uptime. I just moved because of the price.

Pros

Bitbucket has excellent git integration with many visual resources. The code review process is the best is my option compared with other Git as a service. The repositories organization fits very well for companies that avoid getting a mess quickly with many repositories. In a paid plan is available great audit logging.

Cons

The members limit on private repositories in a free plan. The permission management on repositories could be easier. It is tough to find and download the "bill/receipt of payment." which is a very common requirement for Brazillian companies.

Easy to use version control system

we having been using since 1 1/2 years and i feel this is improved version of GitHub with both command line and GUI.

Pros

This is the easy to use version control system with both GUI as well as command line facilities to maintain the versions of the code.

Cons

Rollbacking of the code to previous versions via GUI Interface needs to be improved.

If you are already a part of Atlassian Ecosystem

I have been transitioning slowly to bitbucket since microsoft's acquisition of GitHub. I wish that bitbucket had a more of a social feel like GitHub - but I can do without it.

Pros

A number of integration points with Jira, Trello and especially Slack. Integrations is a must have for me in Code versioning systems and this does it quite adequately.

Cons

Github has more free options including unlimited private repositories unlike bitbucket's 5 private limit. However that's where the cons end. Not many to speak of

Bitbucket - Don't miss it

Pros

Rich features including difference check, collaboration just like GitHub. Review and comment the code.

Cons

UI can be improved by making it user friendly.

Bitbucket Latest Review 2021

My overall experience is great, Bitbucket has done a lot of work towards integration with other software and it has really made my code deployment works easier and faster.

Pros

Bitbucket is a great git code management software. I use Bitbucket to store my code, collaborate with my team who are working on the same project as me, test my code either in developer mode or production mode, test and deploy my code in a different format or by importing using git batch. Bitbucket has great extensive features that enable me to own a private code repository free of charge if my team...

Cons

From what I can observe while using this Bitbucket software as compared with other code repository software, is that sometimes I find it difficult to use as regards its user interface and the way it is structured though every company has its unique selling point. I said this because if am using software of the same type before and then decide to migrate to bitbucket, I might find the user interface interaction difficult unless I started with bitbucket first.

BitBucket, a great VCS for your Software Projects

With Bitbucket you will have your SQ repositories managed in a great cloud service which offers you the chance to easily track everything that you and your team are working on. Integration with JIRA is key feature and a decision making factor.

Pros

Bitbucket is a an easy git remote repository. The best part I would say is its integration with JIRA cloud. When you use Bitbucket as your remote repo, you can simply put the JIRA issue (e.g. [SWL-746]) in your commit comments and then , when you push your code you will automatically see that the commit has been associated with the JIRA ticket and within JIRA you will be able to see that your ticket is automatically linked yo a Bitbucket branch. This way you can easily keep track of the new features that you are developing.

Cons

I would say that with almost all Atlassian products, the main issue is that their products can be very costly. Specially if your team has more than 10 members.

Very easy to use, but lacking some needs for enterprise (non-crucial though)

We never had any showstopper issues with it, everything simply seems to be working on it's own. It provides enough integration points for CI/CD pipelines and maintenance has never been an issue. We've been using it for years on a mid-big project without issues (~2M lines of code, 4 years worth of active development, now with around ~50 people), and also on some other with client having huge project (~20M lines, ~7 years, ~150 people at the moment).

Pros

First thing to note is there's two versions of the software - self hosted and cloud hosted on bitbucket.com. Make sure you know what you're buying as those two vary sometimes significantly in features (e.g. lack of automerge branches in cloud hosted version, which might be a showstopper for you). However, they're constantly putting out updates, so make sure to check the latest version comparisons....

Cons

Some pull requests are limited to review only the 1000 files - this is unfortunate, because if you have very large projects and with some refactoring you're easily over that number, this doesn't give you ability to see that-very-specific project files you want to check upon. It's annoying as there doesn't seem to be any good reason for the limit. If you have large teams (e.g. imagine 160 people, split into 15 teams), you can't group people which would be useful to see ("PR's of my team" for example would be a nice feature to have). Also missing is what's seen nowadays in github - a recognition for the language that's shown.

Great tool, automation docs could be better

Once you get the hang of Bitbucket, it is easy to use and a very good visualizing tool for what you are doing with your repositories.

Pros

Bitbucket has a good UI and is very good for most of the repository related tasks. It has JIRA integration, so if you put your JIRA ticket numbers in the commit message, Bitbucket will link the pull requests into JIRA. This makes it very easy to access commits and the associated JIRA tickets from bitbucket itself, and vice versa. It has good branch visualization tools. It lets you select branches...

Cons

I was unable to find documentation on their APIs to set group and permissions access restrictions from the command line. This was required because we needed to create 100s of repos and allow our users to access them. Because we could not find API documentation easily and were in a time crunch, we had to have developers spend several days manually granting permissions using the web-console. Bitbucket should have these APIs clearly visible and documented.

No 1 Version Control service

I am using Bitbucket for various different projects for more than 4 years now and I am extremely happy with it. As mentioned above it has an Issue tracker built-in on top of the version control and that really makes my life easier. It even has numerous ways of notifying me when some activity happens in our repository so I like it even more.

Pros

It is easy to use and very intuitive. It has an issue tracker and ton of other features It is free for small teams

Cons

Although Bitbucket works together with Jira (that has an amazing set of features on its own), perhaps I would like to see the issue tracker little more advanced. Not enough freedom when choosing the status of an issue, and not a good dashboard for tracking, for example, a milestone, or a project stage in a timeline. Yet I believe these are features that better suit some other type of product like Jira (again).

We love Bitbucket

We use bitbucket every day to backup our code, control version and publish the deploys on AWS & Google Cloud.

Pros

There is a lot of thing we love about Bitbucket. First one, the possibility to create any private repository you want. I know this a common feature today, but back in the time only Bitbucket allowed to create unlimited private repositories. Also the pipeline integration for deploys is a great thing and finally you can integrate it with a project managment software like Trello.

Cons

I would like to have a better UX, mostly because it feels a little bit old today. Almost everything works awesome, but they need to update the UX definitely.

Best repository management platform out there

Overall, our teams love BitBucket and we use it daily. We host our code up there and this allows us to review, manage, and share our code directly to all teams. It's easy to do things like set permissions or integrate other tools like Jira which make the platform even more robust than it already is. Although a bit pricey as you scale with your engineers, it's generally a cost-effective platform given your business size that is unmatched in repository management software and allows us to build products with a sense of peace and security.

Pros

I think the biggest pro with using Bitbucket is that it integrates extremely well with JIRA. This allows you to track your tickets with the branches you're working on and to easily see its progress during each sprint. It's intuitive and straightforward to use. It's also quick and almost rarely did we have any technical issues. Whenever we did have some issue, it was just with some expiring licenses which was easy to resolve. Permissions are additionally easy to manage. Overall, it's just an amazing tool that is 100% essential for our software team as it manages our repositories and allows to share, review, and manage our code across all teams.

Cons

The only downside I can think of is the scaling costs associated with it for the paid plans. Bitbucket charges per user. We have around 100 software engineers so it adds up a lot. Also, our engineers are quite experienced so working in Bitbucket hasn't been that much of a challenge. I've heard that engineers will lesser experience in repository management find Github to be easier to learn and implement but again, with greater experience comes a more expansive toolset.

Market leading product by Atlassian

Overall Bitbucket is a great platform for professional developers for personal and commercial use.

Pros

I have been using Bitbucket (personally and commercially) for couple of years and I'm really satisfied with the services and features that they offer. Letting free users create unlimited repos and allowing up to five users is a good way to go, which attracts more users. Pull requests helps to get code reviewed by experts and get them approve before it available for others and helps to maintain quality code leading to quality software. More useful features like Pipeline lets user to deploy/release more often.

Cons

As a market leader, pricing plans can be adjusted to attract more

Much better than github

I love Bitbucket. It has always provided a more intuitive and easy to use experience. I highly recommend it.

Pros

The web-based app is fantastic. It has a great UX, its easy to use, and it just looks nice. My favorite feature is the side-by-side comparison for diff comparisons. Whenever you have code with particularly long lines, the traditional word wrap comparison becomes virtually unusable. But Bitbucket has a really nice side-by-side comparison that allows you to scroll horizontally. It is indispensable. It also integrates with Jira really nicely. Whenever you name a branch after a Jira issue, you get a really handly link in Bitbucket that will display the Jira issue card in modal. Lastly, Bitbucket has better prices for private repos (especially for smaller teams).

Cons

Not a strong mobile presence (albeit, there are few cases where you really need to be able to interact with yoru code repos from a mobile device, but it does come up from time to time)

We use Bitbucket for our small team

First of all we keep track of over 100 project source codes with bitbucket, it has no limit. WIth two teams of 5 developers, we are using bitbucket for free with all the features we need. It does it's job good enough.

Pros

First of all it is free for small team. For bigger teams it has really reasonable prize. I personally love and prefer Atlassian's products such as Bitbucket, Trello. The Atlassian team behind the product continuously improves their products. Since I started using Bitbucket 5 years ago, they added many features. It has no limitation and pretty good integration with trello, jira and other project management products.

Cons

Fortunately, during the last 5 years we didn't face any difficulties using Bitbucket. It works pretty well with my team. But keep-in mind that free version is only for 5 developers for a team.

Easy to use, great product!

Overall, it is great. Also very suitable for business use due to its reasonable pricing schema and the performance of the product itself.

Pros

Overall very good product. All features of GIT are nicely implemented, haven't had much issues with it. Also, the pricing is based on users, not based on repository count like Github. So the prices are very fair, especially when you have a lot of repositories (for web design agencies like us).

Cons

One thing I'm not too happy about is its inability to reopen a declined Pull Request. I do not see any reason it cannot do that. An issue was raised and discussed (Bitbucket Issue #4954), and was not resolved. Another thing I didn't like was that there was once Bitbucket was hacked, and one of our repositories (lucky it wasn't a very important one) was hacked and I had to speak with a Bitbucket rep to restore our data. Took a day or two on that.

A good free alternative to github

I've been using it now for 6 years and it's my main repo host for work. I can recall only two times where there was a downtime that affected me, but besides that, there's never been a problem with them.

Pros

I like how robust their website is on terms of pull requests and integrations with JIRA and other atlassian products. You can store private repo's and manage it. The pull Request feature is the strongest in my opinion, with reviews and linking to JIRA. So it automatically can close tickets once you merge/accept a pull request. If you link the commits with a JIRA issue it also updates with them. They recently simplified the UI and their own home made SourceTree Visual App has received some substantial upgrades over the years and it's one of the best tree-based git history apps out there. In all honesty, it's a simple git control hosting website you can use online or host by yourself. It's really good.

Cons

The UI used to change a lot but now they've settled. Sometimes, compared to github, processing big pull requests (loading the changes/previewing) can be a little slow. Sometimes the integrations with JIRA, can feel like a miss if you don't use it, because Github has a lot of those features that Github might miss.

A Smooth and Savvy Git Repository -

Atlassian Bitbucket is a smooth, intuitive, low-profile and very capable git repository. It functions exactly how you would want it to and can be considered a solid alternative, or addition to GitHub. The user interface and functionality have been markedly improved from previous versions, which were slightly less forgiving for newer developers. It was always a good product, and now it is even better, with continuous improvement and wonderful new beta features being added regularly. I love this platform and I'm anticipating the opportunity to test out the new features and see where they will go in the future.

Pros

Atlassian Bitbucket has a clean, user friendly interface. You can store full code, team projects, as well as code snippets, and search your code. There is support for large files. Bitbucket has easily accessible links with tutorials and tricks to get started, even at the very basic beginner level. It is fully collaborative for development teams with variable needs. The best advantage of this platform...

Cons

Previously, there was a slight learning curve in the processes, but this has been smoothed out. There are no real cons that I can think of, except that the open-source social celebrity aspects of GitHub are not a prominent feature here. However, if you are not looking for these aspects, you will likely be very happy with all of the features which are included to support your building endeavors.

Complete solution for code versioning

With Bitbucket I have the security of keeping my project versioned and with that I can develop without fear. Sharing with team members makes the process simple and efficient.

Pros

With Bitbucket I can have many private projects and all Git features. I can create project teams by assigning different permissions to each one. The ability to view code in the web interface itself allows for quick checks. You can also check the differences of each commit. Integration with SourceTree is a breeze.

Cons

If you use the tool with the default flow, you will have no problems. However, in some situations it is a little difficult to correct. I already had problems that the tool claimed problems in login while all the information was correct.

The best way to manage git repositories for businesses

It allowed us to organize the work of our development team, dividing each task into a different branch. Our development team was able to work with GIT in a more intuitive way. The breakthrough curve for new employees also drastically decreased allowing them to adapt to our workflow more efficiently.

Pros

One of the strengths of Bitbucket is its ease of use and its great integration with the Atlassian environment. In our company we integrated it with the JIRA incident handler and it worked very well. With Bitbucket you can configure the permissions of each team member, this is of great help so that only authorized people can modify the most important branches of the project. It is also very easy to adapt the software to the company workflow. By integrating it with JIRA, we can create a branch for each issue that must be handled by our development team. At the end of an incident you can create a "pull request" so that other team members can review the job. It is an essential software for us and we recommend it extensively.

Cons

Although it sounds hard to believe, our team has not found a single negative point for Bitbucket. So far it has proved to work according to our expectations. Perhaps we could say that for very large teams the costs rise very fast, so in some cases this can be considered as something negative.