Carbonite Logo

4.3

Rating criteria

• Likelihood to recommend8.18/10

Reviews by rating

Overall, I like the security of this and I feel like it has done a great job of managing to keep our files clean. I like that while its running you are able to see the progress.
Carbonite provided outstanding customer service when we needed to transfer files to a new computer. They walked us through the entire process and saved us hours of heartache.
My computer nerd insisted that I use Carbonite. The service was impossible because I could not speak to a person and I had an emergency.
Indicating which files and folders to back up can be a pain.

MS

Michael S.

Director of Research and Innovation

Hospital & Health Care, 1-10 employees

Great Peace of Mind, but expensive

Transcript

Michael S.: Hi, my name is Michael, I'm a director of research, I would give Carbonite a five out of...

James J.

11-50 employees

Easy to set up for peace of mind

Pros

We've used Carbonite in our office for years. We recently upgraded to a higher package, and I enjoy the ease of use. Carbonite backs up our files in the background and gives me peace of mind, in case of a catastrophic loss of data.

Cons

Can slow down the use of the computer sometimes. Especially if trying to delete a file that is being backed up at the time.

Construction, 201-500 employees

Use Carbonite if you don't want to risk losing your data on your computer

Pros

I have used Carbonite in the past when I was running a company with 10 employees. One of my worst fears in the world would be having a computer corrupt or damaged and not able to access the files. It is better to be prepared than kick yourself later for not doing it. It was easy to set up carbonite on all of the computer and synced the backup on changes that were made within the computer. You select...

Cons

The least of what I liked about this is probably pricing. I feel like it should be a little lower for a backup system. There are quite a few plans to choose from but think the pricing for all of them should be a little lower. Other than that everything is perfect!

Information Technology and Services, 1-10 employees

Carbonite works well - until you want to restore a large file

Pros

Carbonite is pretty easy to set up, and it will capture changes in files pretty quickly. It's a set-it-and-forget-it backup utility. You simply choose which folders you want to be backed up, and it will monitor for changes and get the files into the cloud.

Cons

Carbonite owns your encryption key, meaning that when it does encrypt, the employees of Carbonite could theoretically gain access to your data. It's better to use a service that allows you to create an encryption key (there are many alternatives). Also, the biggest con to this is restoring. When you are restoring from the web interface (because, say, your server/PC is dead), then what happens is that the page will time out during the download. When this happens the download is canceled and you have to start over. For restores of large files, I've had to sit in front of the computer to click within the window every few minutes so I wouldn't get disconnected. Also, they are not HIPAA compliant, they do not encrypt the data prior to transmission, and I don't trust their security.

Religious Institutions, 11-50 employees

Dependable service

Have not had to use at work because no problems. However, several years ago at home I did lose my files and it was easy to access and download what I anted. I truly wish they had not increased their annual fee but I am using a freebie. I don't have the money at home to have Sea Gate to backup everything but we do have at work along with Carbonite. However, when the contract expires we will be leaving Carbonite because they charge too much.

Pros

Carbonite works behind the scenes and I have used here at work and at home. You can be confident your files are available if they are lost on your computer

Cons

The increase in the yearly fee. There are other systems that do similar saving like in cloud that are free. You would still need something like Sea Gate to back up the external and that would cost more in Carbonite but it would make more sense paying for. However, Sea Gate is a one time purchase.

Accounting, 1-10 employees

Carbonite has saved me a couple of times

I needed the ability to back up my laptop to a remote location. I've used Carbonite for probably 10 years. I had two instances where hard drives went bad during my busy season. Thankfully we were using Carbonite on each computer. I was able to get up and running within a day and ever since then, I've used Carbonite. It's a lifesaver and gives me piece of mind knowing that my files are safely backed up.

Pros

It's easy to set up and operates behind the scenes. You don't even know it's running and it backs up your files to the cloud. Super simple to set up and use.

Cons

I don't have any issues with this software. The prices is reasonable, the back up process is simple, and it's a great piece of mind software.

Daniel E. W.

Nonprofit Organization Management, self-employed

Do Not Use

Carbonite worked but their business philosophy is seriously lacking. I prepaid for for years, but when they changed the service package by discontinuing boot disk and application software mirroring, they refused to refund the payment for the prepaid year.

Pros

Carbonite was easy to install and use, but over the years required re-installation on several occasions to resume back up.

Cons

When Carbonite discontinued their mirroring back-up, I cancelled my many years' subscription with a year of service remaining. Carbonite refused to refund the prepaid year. So not only did they change the services I paid for, they refused to refund the payment for the mirroring service I pay for. I strongly discourage anyone from using Carbonite.

DH

Deborah H.

Easy as it can get!!

I just like the feeling of my information being protected.

Pros

What's not to like. Download, simple set up and you're protected. It's really that way. What a great feel to know that your information is being constantly protected. It doesn't slow your system down either.

Cons

I would always like it to be free to users but I doubt that will happen. I'm sorry but I really can't think of any cons.

Ross K.

Biotechnology,

I use Carbonite to backup my data files.

Peace of mind that my data is backed up.

Pros

The fact that Carbonite runs in the background and ensures my files are always backed up is great. Once it is setup, you do not have to do anything with 95% of your data.

Cons

It would be nice to have it automatically backup all file sizes - without going to specific large files to add them.

Linda H.

Real Estate, 1-10 employees

Insurance!

I have had to recover files and it was easy to figure out how to do it. In one instance I needed technical support and they were responsive and helpful

Pros

I use this product on my personal and business machine. If my computer were to die, I can easily recover everything

Cons

I like it, it works great. I have recovered files myself with no assistance

Kurt F.

Hospital & Health Care, 5,001-10,000 employees

Backs up things that OneDrive misses.

Once installed and configured you no longer need to worry about it. Restores are easy too and we've had no issues.

Pros

This product is great for backing up areas of my computer that OneDrive doesn't. It will get my whole C drive, desktop, profile folder, whatever I need, instead of just my documents.

Cons

Nothing really, it does everything I need and closes a simple gap not covered by another product. Great!

Thanks so much for leaving us a positive review - stay safe out there!

GW

Gregory W.

Government Administration, 10,001+ employees

Great Backup software - expensive

I hav ebeen using Carbonite for about 5 years.

Pros

Carbonite was one of the first cloud backup services available. For an annual fee (which can be renewed for up to three years at a time), you can have all your files uploaded to a secure server. All files are encrypted and stored safely until you need them again. Carbonite constantly checks your system for new files and updates the backup as needed. Carbonite also has an option to back up your entire system--not just document files. The best selling point is that your files are encrypted before they leave your system.

Cons

Carbonite is a bit on the expensive side, when you consider that there are less expensive options available for simple (unencrypted) cloud services. Also, restoring a backup from Carbonite can take many days because of the encryption/decryption process. Unless you absolutely need a system backup, use another service for cloud storage.

AM

Adam M.

Retail, 1-10 employees

Used other for 2+ years

Carbonite - Great Support - Slow Servers

The service that carbonite provides is invaluable. If you don't have your computer files backed up in a remote location you really need to. We have computers "die" all the time and without carbonite (or a similar service) we would be in danger of losing years worth of work.

Pros

I like how easy it is to setup Carbonite. You download the software then simply tell it what files/folders you want backed up. Then you tell it how often to back up. It is easy to setup and after it is setup, you'll forget its there...until your computer dies and you need to restore the files. Luckily, having carbonite means that if/when your computer dies, you won't lose your valuable files. Their customer support is really good. I was having trouble restoring files and was able to get a support agent on the phone within 10 minutes and within another 5-10 minutes we were good to go.

Cons

The carbonite website is pretty slow. I am restoring about 20gb of files now and it is going super slow. It is saying it'll take 16hrs to download 20gb. That's insanely slow. I know it is not our internet because I transfer large files a lot and it doesn't take long with our internet speed in the office.

FH

Felicia H.

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 1-10 employees

Great Customer Support

My employees are not IT people, so when we have a backup problem we get on the phone with Carbonite. They take over the computer and find the problems. It's as simple as that. They are so respectful to my team when there are issues and they have taught us how to do simple problem solving checks that can solve the problem! We are very happy with Carbonite.

Pros

We use Carbonite as our backup program for our computer system. On occasion when our computers update it will change settings on the computer. Carbonite has the ability to let you know via email if it backed up successfully or not. This way we can catch a problem as soon as it arises.

Cons

On occasion there are issues with the computers backing up because of new computer updates. This is solved by alerting us via email when our server does not backup properly.

RM

Ross M.

Marketing and Advertising, 51-200 employees

Customer service couldn't fix my issue and wouldn't refund my 3-year prepaid subscription

Pros

I've used Cabonite in the past and had a good experience. It was a reliable way to backup my laptop and served as a way to have remote access to my documents, files and pictures.

Cons

Carbonite caused my MacBook Pro to constantly run which made it get very hot to the touch. After a few weeks of identifying the issue, I uninstalled it and called support. They talked me through reinstalling it. The same issue happened and they were not able to fix it. After many hours invested in trying to make it work right, it just didn't work on my laptop for some reason. They refused to refund my money. I was a repeat customer, but am not a fan.

Tim H.

Internet, self-employed

After being a customer for 15 years, service fails constantly - ultimately a waste of time and money

After being a customer for fifteen years, I am thoroughly disappointed with Carbonite's product and their complete unwillingness to refund anything for the time my PC spent not being backed up last year.

Pros

It backs up my files some of the time. It's relatively easy to get your files back, the files it actually backs up.

Cons

* It rarely backs up my files. The backup is usually more than 60 days old.* Service fails constantly* A tool that is supposed to save me time and money is now costing me hours and hours of troubleshooting and support calls

KB

Ken B.

Carbonite has been there for me through a few system crashes - had my date backed up and ready to go

Great backup of my work - only downside was slow in getting them loaded back.

Pros

Carbonite was my safety net when my system crashed. I have created a LOT of marketing material over time and it is imperative to have a backup system. I was able to find the files I needed and load them back. Their phone line customer service was also top-notch the one time I called. They were professional and helpful and had me up and running quickly.

Cons

The main detriment is that if you have a lot of large files it will take you a long time even with fast upload speed to get your files loaded back.

EP

Erik P.

automatic cloud backup

Peace of mind.

Pros

Been using it at home for years. Very reasonably priced. I love that it can run automatically during the specified hours so I don't have to worry about it using bandwidth. Files are then available to other devices.

Cons

Video files are not automatic. You have to specify to back up each one, or a bunch at a time, but it's not as automatic as other file types. So, every once in a while, I search file type: video, select all, and make sure they're all being backed up. Interface for getting files from the cloud is a little slow and clunky.

PF

Paul F.

Religious Institutions, self-employed

Carbonite

Overall I have loved Carbonite. It gives great peace of mind and is very affordable.

Pros

I love this software! It is so easy to use and gives great peace of mind that my documents are stored. I like how you don't have to do anything but simply let the software run in the background.

Cons

It can take Carbonite quite a bit of time to restore documents after a factory reset of the computer. While I understand that a lot of files take time, it does seem that there can be some duplicates that don't need to happen.

GH

Greg H.

Chemicals, 201-500 employees

Carbonite

It has been a life savor for me. Our owner had lost his laptop and I was able to fully recover his data to restore on new laptop. He was extremely great full that we had this software installed.

Pros

Users love being able to login on phone/pad and view files that have been synced from their workstation/laptop. Also, gives them security that their files are backed up if something went wrong with their workstation/laptop.

Cons

Not really con but depending on amount of data, syncing it up and recovery can take sometime to complete.

DC

Doug C.

Construction, self-employed

Good for Windows but couldn't make it work on a Mac

I have been using Carbonite on my Windows machine for almost a decade. It's easy to use, cheap, and their customer service is excellent. I've never waited any more than a minute or two for a chat session and they use a really easy remote login client that saves a ton of time. I thought I'd try it on my wife's Mac and 3 frustrating days later I pulled the plug and cancelled the subscription. I chatted with 4 different reps over 5 sessions and no one could get it to work any longer than 15 or 20 minutes. That aside, I have no hesitation in recommending it for any Windows installation.

Pros

Cons

Won't work on mac

AK

Alex K.

Used to be great but functionality has been reduced

Pros

It's quite easy to install and set up and you can leave it just to do it's thing. Plenty of storage space. Mobile app is also usefully for accessing files.

Cons

It's now expensive compared with competitors. Functionality has also been reduced over time which means that some things are no longer available or you have to buy a more expensive package. Basic licence only covers one computer and it's quite expensive to add more computers. Poor renewal deals for loyal customers.

PD

Pete D.

Excellent way to back up my personal files, pictures, videos.

Pros

It is extremely easy to set up. My media folders are already set to back up each night so as I add files to these folders I know they are being stored in the cloud for me.

Cons

From what I can tell there is no easy way to get your files back if your computer crashes. When I say easy I mean fast way to get them. The upload times to back up your files are long, so I can imagine if you are trying to restore a backup it would take days.

Good Program but can get Pricey

Pros

It offers an additional back up source for me at a reasonable cost. I am a belt and suspenders type of person so I want multiple back ups of everything I do. This provides me with an easy way to have an extra backup source.

Cons

I looked into using this program as my main back up software but when you start looking at the server version it can get expensive in a hurry.

RK

Ruth K.

Nonprofit Organization Management, self-employed

Carbonite is perfect for our needs.

Excellent - service, features and support.

Pros

Easy to use, easy to schedule backups. Easy to restore files or groups of files.

Cons

None that I can think of. It works great.

Thank you for the positive feedback and review!

JK

John K.

Marketing and Advertising, 51-200 employees

Simple, reliable and reasonably priced file back up system!

Continuous, reliable and automatic file back up to the cloud.

Pros

I love that Carbonite is constantly running in the background and instantly and automatically backs up file changes and new files without me having to do anything!

Cons

The price is little bit high compared to some other alternatives. but the ease of use of this software makes it worth it.