Carbonite Reviews

User ratings

4.3

• Likelihood to recommend8.15/10

See full reviews by rating

Pros

Cons

It is so easy to use and gives great peace of mind that my documents are stored. I like how you don't have to do anything but simply let the software run in the background.
Overall, I like the security of this and I feel like it has done a great job of managing to keep our files clean. I like that while its running you are able to see the progress.
Carbonite provided outstanding customer service when we needed to transfer files to a new computer. They walked us through the entire process and saved us hours of heartache.
My employees are not IT people, so when we have a backup problem we get on the phone with Carbonite. They take over the computer and find the problems.
My computer nerd insisted that I use Carbonite. The service was impossible because I could not speak to a person and I had an emergency.
Indicating which files and folders to back up can be a pain.

Carbonite users...

CrashPlan-logocaret

CrashPlan

IDrive-logocaret

IDrive

Norton AntiVirus-logocaret

Norton AntiVirus

How would you rate Carbonite?

Great Peace of Mind, but expensive

Transcript

Michael S.: Hi, my name is Michael, I'm a director of research, I would give Carbonite a five out of...

Essential cloud backup solution!

Ability to restore files to a new computer.

Pros

Carbonite provided outstanding customer service when we needed to transfer files to a new computer. They walked us through the entire process and saved us hours of heartache!

Cons

The price point is fairly competitive with other cloud backup solutions and sometimes they offer discounts at time of renewal if a 5-year plan is chosen.

Good Program but can get Pricey

Pros

It offers an additional back up source for me at a reasonable cost. I am a belt and suspenders type of person so I want multiple back ups of everything I do. This provides me with an easy way to have an extra backup source.

Cons

I looked into using this program as my main back up software but when you start looking at the server version it can get expensive in a hurry.

Easy to set up for peace of mind

Pros

We've used Carbonite in our office for years. We recently upgraded to a higher package, and I enjoy the ease of use. Carbonite backs up our files in the background and gives me peace of mind, in case of a catastrophic loss of data.

Cons

Can slow down the use of the computer sometimes. Especially if trying to delete a file that is being backed up at the time.

Peace of mind and ease of access

Pros

I love how quickly I can access a file on my computer remotely from my phone - for example, I recently went on a trip and forgot the itinerary spreadsheet I had saved to my desktop at home. It only took a minute to retrieve it while waiting at baggage claim.

Cons

I have not had any issues with this software, except forgetting to unpause the backup sometimes.

Ok until it isn’t.

Quit working and customer service was unable to help me get it working again.

Pros

Once set up it is very easy to use. It will continue working in the background.

Cons

Can have errors or quit working and the user not be aware. The bing that makes it nice, automatic hands off backup, also makes it a danger. You need to verify frequently that the software is doing its job.

Great desktop PC backup solution!

Pros

Carbonite works well for backup of desktop PCs, but the product is lacking when it comes to server/enterprise level backup. It's good value for the price when it comes to desktop PC back.

Cons

The server file restore process takes significantly more time than I have experienced with other enterprise-level backup solutions, which results in more down-time in some cases. We have a high speed wired Internet connection to our servers, but file restore from the cloud can take days to complete in most cases.

Simple, reliable and reasonably priced file back up system!

Continuous, reliable and automatic file back up to the cloud.

Pros

I love that Carbonite is constantly running in the background and instantly and automatically backs up file changes and new files without me having to do anything!

Cons

The price is little bit high compared to some other alternatives. but the ease of use of this software makes it worth it.

Backup software

Pros

High value for money. Great back up schedule. Ease to restore files.

Cons

Challenge to remove backed up files you delete from machine. Some times too many files are restored.

Hey there - Thanks so much for leaving us some feedback! Have you tried working with our support team regarding the challenges you're facing to remove backed up files?

Backups You Can Count On

Our consulting firm runs on computers. Backups are essential to our business. Carbonite solved our backup problem, period.

Pros

I like everything about this software. It's easy to setup. It runs in the background, and I don't even notice it. You have access to your files online.

Cons

There is no con, except maybe the price. But, you get what you pay for.

Good

Pros

With so many different types of backup software out there I think this is the best deal for a single computer. I love to be able to look up things from my backup on the app.

Cons

The thing I least like about it is that you have to manually choose to backup each video. That is a real pain and I have no idea why they make you do that!

Great Product!

It has been excellent. Highly highly recommended.

Pros

It is so easy and works so well. I have had a computer crash and was thankfully already using Carbonite. It was so simple to load everything on the new computer. It is absolutely worth the money.

Cons

I don't like when they contact me to try to upsell new products. The one I have works great for me. I wish I could opt-out​ of promotional emails, but I also think others can benefit from the other products so I understand why they do it.

Carbonite is perfect for our needs.

Excellent - service, features and support.

Pros

Easy to use, easy to schedule backups. Easy to restore files or groups of files.

Cons

None that I can think of. It works great.

Thank you for the positive feedback and review!

I use Carbonite to backup my data files.

Peace of mind that my data is backed up.

Pros

The fact that Carbonite runs in the background and ensures my files are always backed up is great. Once it is setup, you do not have to do anything with 95% of your data.

Cons

It would be nice to have it automatically backup all file sizes - without going to specific large files to add them.

Insurance!

I have had to recover files and it was easy to figure out how to do it. In one instance I needed technical support and they were responsive and helpful

Pros

I use this product on my personal and business machine. If my computer were to die, I can easily recover everything

Cons

I like it, it works great. I have recovered files myself with no assistance

Set it and forget it.

Stress free off site backup solution.

Pros

Easy setup, easy upgrades. Product is easy to navigate. It's file icon feature easily lets you see what has or hasn't been backed up.

Cons

Pricing structure has recently changed, not offering previous plan. Pricing model has increased without offering explanation of what current plan covered.

Backs up things that OneDrive misses.

Once installed and configured you no longer need to worry about it. Restores are easy too and we've had no issues.

Pros

This product is great for backing up areas of my computer that OneDrive doesn't. It will get my whole C drive, desktop, profile folder, whatever I need, instead of just my documents.

Cons

Nothing really, it does everything I need and closes a simple gap not covered by another product. Great!

Thanks so much for leaving us a positive review - stay safe out there!

Carbonite works well - until you want to restore a large file

Pros

Carbonite is pretty easy to set up, and it will capture changes in files pretty quickly. It's a set-it-and-forget-it backup utility. You simply choose which folders you want to be backed up, and it will monitor for changes and get the files into the cloud.

Cons

Carbonite owns your encryption key, meaning that when it does encrypt, the employees of Carbonite could theoretically gain access to your data. It's better to use a service that allows you to create an encryption key (there are many alternatives). Also, the biggest con to this is restoring. When you are restoring from the web interface (because, say, your server/PC is dead), then what happens is that the page will time out during the download. When this happens the download is canceled and you have to start over. For restores of large files, I've had to sit in front of the computer to click within the window every few minutes so I wouldn't get disconnected. Also, they are not HIPAA compliant, they do not encrypt the data prior to transmission, and I don't trust their security.

Carbonite is great, but could be better

For the price, it's worth the piece of mind.

Pros

The security of having my files automatically backing up to the cloud.

Cons

Files aren't always uploaded as they exist on your computer. For instance, instead of files being in a folder, Carbonite sometimes uploads the folder (empty) and files individually. Very annoying.

Carbonite Safe works

Carbonite has been great. Easy to do business with, and the tech works well.

Pros

Customer support. When something fails, they're all over it. When I need a restore, they're all over it.

Cons

Well, new agents come out often enough that it can be difficult for our small IT team to keep up, but it's a necessary evil.

Always getting E-mails that backup did not occur!

If you save a lot to your computer, I would suggest this product.

Pros

If I were in need, I think this back up could be a lifesaver. Thankfully, I have never been in that situation. I also like that it is automatic.

Cons

I get e-mails very frequently that my backups are not working. It is frustrating to pay for something that is not actually serving its' purpose. Also was unaware I set up an auto-renew. Went to cancel, and found out I just recently paid for a year.

Great software at doing complete backups

complete backup of laptops/PCs

Pros

Great software at performing complete backups to your laptop/PC. Ease of setting up and starting backups on laptops/PCs.

Cons

The navigation to view your backups on carbonite.com. I feel the interface could be cleaned up a little to make it easier to access.

Glad our office used this backup system. It works

Backing up our computers and system every night

Pros

That is back up our office system every night and if something crashes we can back it up from this system.

Cons

Not having unlimited space to back up our system that our office pays for every year. Getting the email that your space if also full.

Can access all your laptop files remotely

Pros

With the Carbonite Mobile app, you can easily synchronize all your laptop desktop files to your smartphone. As such, your desktop appears on your phone. I love how I can easily access all my files, including send new files from my phone without having to take my computer with me.

Cons

There is a lag in time when you create new files on your desktop and when they finally appear as a new file on your smartphone.

Buyer beware !!!

Last year I dumped my external backup drive to have a "more secure" off site backup alternative. (BIG MISTAKE) I saw many promotions on their service, everything made sense. Cost was reasonable and all that. So I enrolled. Made sure that all my files were backed up through their app and all of that. One day My hard drive crashed... OMG,,, well no worries, Carbonite has my files backed up. I proceeded...

Pros

Price and easy to configure. Customer support was very courteous and professional

Cons

It doesn't perform as advertised and/or expected. Restore function takes forever no matter how much bandwidth you have available.

Carbonite has saved me more than once!

This software is wonderful when you need it. Losing files and documents is very scary. Carbonite backs up automatically and provides great peace of mind.

Pros

This software WILL restore documents and files back to their rightful place, fairly quickly. The backup is automatic and runs in the background. Great peace of mind.

Cons

Carbonite can be difficult to use without calling support. The manual uses too much industry jargon for my liking. But this is not a deal breaker. Support is courteous and helpful. I switched to a different company once for promotion, lost some files and tried to restore, and it didn't have all the files. Came back to Carbonite asap.