Hosted Graphite Reviews

Hosted Graphite

Scalable Application Metrics

Hosted Graphite

Review Summary

Pros

Their service is friendly, and offers useful suggestions on how to make my queries better when I reach out to them.

Dan L.

I add in a few lines of code in my app, point the metrics to Hosted Graphite and I look like a hero to my client. Makes me look good, makes my client look good, I'm sticking with it.

Justin S.

Kelly C.

Cons

In the era of devops, limitation of team members does not work well, I prefer all of my team members to have access to the monitoring.

Dincho T.

Andre C.

Having said that, it's a real pain to build and monitor.

Dan L.

4.8

Fantastic product, fantastic service

Hosted Graphite (HG) is the best thing for server monitoring since sliced bread. It doesn't replace services like New Relic, it augments them in a wonderful way. Graphite is a known entity in the space and does a great job storing your time-series data, and HG has done all the right things to make using and displaying Graphite data as painless as possible. I've been using HG for nearly a year now for displaying thousands of metrics, the product has been rock solid reliable, performance has been excellent and they've continued to add awesome features all the time.

Pros

* The world's best customer service team (Dave and Charlie are great to work with) * Rock solid reliability * Connect to them with whatever endpoint you desire -- TCP, HTTP, TLS (in beta), so it's super easy to set up. * Use your statsd (with HG config out-of-the-box) or theirs * Zero-conf metric storage and partitioning, it just works * Automagic grafana integration

Cons

* You still have to wire up your own metrics inside your service (not really their fault though) * Performance at peak business hours hasn't always been perfect, but has improved tremendously in late 2014 (I believe they mentioned they scaled out their backend horizontally quite a bit). * Doesn't replace New Relic, but then it doesn't really try to

One of the best monitoring solutions I've used

I've been using Graphite for years. Originally we hosted Graphite in our data center, but more recently we switched to using Hosted Graphite. Drilling down into your metrics in Hosted Graphite can be daunting at first, but it becomes so simple to use once you understand it. There's a plethora of documentation provided by Hosted Graphite, and many third party applications that you can integrate with...

Pros

The graphs are easy to read, and you can create really great dashboards for your key systems. Drilling down through historic data is simple and quick as well.

Cons

I'd love to see their Alerts feature come out of Beta.

So much better than trying to run your own Graphite system

Graphite is a great platform for keeping metrics around how your software works. It's standard, there are plenty of clients for it, and it sticks to the mentality of doing one thing well. Having said that, it's a real pain to build and monitor. Whisper is a complex system to maintain, and it's very easy to make a setting which will have a lasting impact on your data in a way you don't want. Luckily,...

Great service

Most valuable thing about HG is their use of OSS. You don't need vendor agent to collect metrics, you just use statsd (but you can anything that can send to Graphite). They are using also Grafana dashboard (which is best dashboarding so far), so you can import/export pre-made dashboards. The use of OSS means that you can easily migrate from/to HG, just change your statsd collector URL and that's...

Completes our stack

Hosted Graphite saves us having to host an entire tier of our stack. We can install a simple StatsD listener on each machine and throw stats at Hosted Graphite all day long. Add in hosted Graphana dashboards, sharable Graphana URLs, expiring statistics for use in auto-scaled/virtual environments like AWS and Rackspace, redundant storage, and near-zero-work configuration, and we save not only having...

Pros

- Hosted Graphite (seriously) - Hosted StatsD (if you don't want to run it locally) - Hosted Graphana dashboards - Redundant storage - Expiring stats for auto-scaled environments - AWS CloudWatch integration - Logentries integration - Not having to host and run any of this on our own

Cons

Friction-less and stays out of my way. It just works.

Pros: Inexpensive Fast Responsive StatsD Cons: I only just found out about it so my previous clients couldn't benefit. Other: Comes with a two week trial but I wasted too much time and hadn't had a chance to show my client the tool. I emailed support and asked for an extension (just a couple of days). They reset the counter on my trial and told me they'd help me if I needed anything else....

Cons

Thanks Justin, very much appreciated!

Great software, easy to integrate and use

We were in search of application monitoring platform. We had experience with server monitoring, but it was not detailed enough by definition, because result was like "something happened", not helping in real troubleshooting. We tried a few options, some were not functional, some were hard to integrate and some were simply overpriced, and settled with Hosted Graphite. In about of one day we started...

Cons

Thanks for your kind words Roman.

a year with Hosted graphite

Anyone who has ever need to graph system or business metrics has probably heard of graphite and anyone trying to configure it knows the pain of maintaining a complex piece of software such as graphite and all the moving parts around it. Hosted graphite is a great metrics SAAS product based on graphite but also provides additional tools such as statsd and grafana integrated together and at a price...

Cons

Thanks for the kind words Omri.

let the pros handle your metrics

I've personally setup and maintained many instances of Graphite and other metrics systems and am fully aware of how complicated it can be to maintain such a critical and high throughput system. These guys really abstract the magic and provide an absolutely beautiful and easy to use interface to metrics. Their customer service is top notch and the turn around on support tickets is nearly always within the same day. Absolutely no complaints! Finally and probably the most important from the business perspective is that running your own system with this availability and feature set would cost your considerably more than their monthly fees. I don't know how they do it, but thanks!

Thanks Chris!

Convenient way to use graphite

Graphite is a great tool, that helps you measure both business KPIs and application performance over time. Hostedgraphite provides you a great hosting service. Our servers hosted in AWS cloud. We did the math: In order to meet graphite system requirements, it would be cheaper to use the hostedgraphite service. Needless to say, it saved us the need to deploy graphite, which is a huge headache. In addition, they helped us understanding some of the un-clear bahaviors of graphite. They were responsive to our support cases. I definitely recommend every SaaS application to use graphite, and every graphite user to use the hosted solution provided by hostedgraphite.

Thanks Yonatan!

Name says it all

For several projects I have tried, with various levels of success, setting up a complete Graphite installation. But with all the weird port numbers, odd dependencies, obscure programs and commands, something always breaks. Plus Graphite has a lot of features left for user customization and you never know exactly what the perfect settings are. Hosted Graphite is awesome because I was up and running in less 5 minutes. Not the cheapest service in the world, but completely worth the fact that I've never had to care about setting Graphite up or managing it.

Thanks Andre!

Low-effort solution for great insights

We had a few bottlenecks in our systems, but weren't certain where they were. In the space of an afternoon we were able to integrate our NodeJS apps with Hosted Graphite and get some pretty graphs to isolate the problems. Any questions or issues we had were resolved by the lovely support team very quickly, really felt like they went the extra mile every time. Only con for us was that we started off using Statsd instead of their "Data Views" which meant our quota ran out pretty quickly. Once we cleared that up, it was all good.

Thanks Richard.

Easy alternative to deploying your own graphite instance

Hosted Graphite has proven to be a great way to visualize our metrics. It has saved us significant amounts of development time so our team can focus on building new features instead of figuring out the quirks of graphite. HG is pretty much plug and play, and the questions I did have about configuration were answered quickly and thoroughly by the support team. Switching to a hosted graphite solution over deploying our own instance probably saved us a few headaches and a lot of time.

Cons

Thanks Evan, glad to be able to help you!

Awesome service

Hosted Graphite was incredibly easy to startup and the one issue we had, the customer service went above and beyond, providing some custom filters on the inbound metrics so we didn't have to worry about changing our own system -- all because we wanted to spend _less_ money with them. I couldn't be happier with hosted graphite.

Cons

Thanks Ben, always happy to help!

Great Perf Monitoring for SMB

We had some issues managing our own graphite instance so we're very happy using HostedGraphite. The built in statsd and grafana are great. I wish it had more flexible or more complete stats extraction from the Heroku logplex.

Cons

Thanks for your feedback Kelly, we're actively working on extending our Heroku integration to include more extensive collection.

Simple, Useful, Essential

Integrating Hosted Graphite into our platform via our Ansible provisioning scripts was straightforward. We're able to push data to HG via Collectd, from AWS and Log Entries. The real star of HG is the Grafana dashboards. They look great, giving a clear presentation of key data which can be shared around the organisation.

Cons

Simple solution to a complicated problem

Love Hosted Graphite, it's a great solution to having to provision and manage graphite and statsd servers and allows to focus on just collecting and visualising our metrics.

Thanks Oli!

Awesome, responsive service

These guys understand the in's and out's of metrics. They take a holistic, partnership approach towards making the product work for us - a true partner to have on board!

Thanks Mo!