Canto Reviews

Pros

We love that this software implements facial recognition. This is very important for our usage as we need to be able to just type someone's name and get all their results for marketing purposes.

Roxann S.

I love the responsiveness and friendly nature of the Canto team. This is integral to my creative post-production process.

Greg M.

I love the ability to collaborate with my team and through different teams and have everyone be able to access our digital assets.

Kaitlin P.

Cons

The upload portal can be confusing. Drag and dropping of files can lead to double uploads or uploading into the wrong folder.

Michael O.

Overall design and website animations feel dated and clunky, empty folders look ugly as well. Definitely a learning curve involved in using Canto.

Daniel H.

I had a few problems using the tagging feature.

Natalia R.

Fantastic product for image library sorting and tagging

Transcript

Ben C.: Hi, my name is Ben. I'm a marketing manager and I give Canto a 5 out of 5 stars. For more reviews...

Great product that is easy to use.

Our representative always responds to us in a timely manner. She is very helpful with any questions or Canto solutions that our university might be interested in.

Pros

I really like how easy it is to upload, organize and tag photos. The facial recognition feature is great when dealing with lots of photos of people, like we do as a university. It is amazingly accurate and will recognize people from photos when they were 20 years younger. It's very easy to search for photos.

Cons

I can't complain. We probably don't take advantage of a lot of features Canto has to offer.

We appreciate your review, Jared! The facial recognition tool is one of our favorites too!

Easy & Straight Forward to Use - Evaluation of Integration Process Required

The sales process was a pleasure to go through and I would rate Canto number 1 in creating an enjoyable, no pressure experience. We have other vendors that I would be happy to continue my working career never speaking again to due to their practices and lack of overall respect.

Pros

The product itself is straight forward, easy to use and fairly customizable. The tagging system works great, file storage is good (once you identify what you would like), upload links are beneficial and the portals are key for deliverable.

Cons

The configuration of SSO does not allow enough control for the administrators of this tool, it also caused quirks for administrative accounts, where one experience via login vs via SSO was different for the admins; and the system didn't recognize licenses as being used when configured via SSO. Overall, we had to disable it for the time being which is a big loss/hit to our change management process....

Thanks for your feedback on the onboarding process, Kayla. We're always working to improve our processes and this information helps us out so much!

Practical tool but barely innovative.

Canto enables me to grant file access to many of our departments world wide.

Pros

Canto seems to be simple enough for even unexperienced users. It is clearly structured and all functions are easy to spot and use.

Cons

For a software that was recently developed it seems rather simple in style and function: we only received what we specifically asked for and there is nothing wrong with it but a bit of innovation goes a long way. Why not connect it with actual folders on our operating system Microsoft Windows like Dropbox: At some point, we will need to store all files somewhere anyway to upload them to Canto, why...

Canto is a great solution!

We are using Canto to house our image library and files. We will also use it to give people in different department easy access to our brand standards and logos. Outside vendors will be able to search for anything they might need directly from Canto too. As a designer Canto helps me to quickly find appropriate files for any project I am working on. Canto is great for organizations with a large image library. You are able to tag images appropriately to be able to find them easily in the future. It also works well if your organization manages multiple brands, you can easily filter through exactly what you need for each brand. The price compared to most of the competition was a big part of why we moved forward with Canto.

Pros

1. Canto team was very supportive during the onboarding process 2. Endless possibilities with tagging images 3. Ability to use directly in Adobe products with plug-in

Cons

1. No uncheck all feature 2. Issues with uploading large batch of files

Thank you for this review, Jason. To uncheck all, you can hit the "Deselect All" button in the icon bar!

Canto is Great!

Pros

First of all, having a single source of truth is truly a game changer. Having that one file that is mirrored in other places makes having to edit it so much simpler. Additionally, the Portals are such a nice feature so that we can "share" our assets, specific ones, to different vendors or departments within our organization takes a lot of the mundane aspects of our previous requests off our plates. There are truly so many things I love about Canto and these are just a small taste of them.

Cons

We are using Canto in the hopes that it can serve us in several ways. One area that we would like to see is more of a desktop app that functions similar to Dropbox in that we can access our files in our Finder vs. the Canto Connector for Adobe. Also, the ability to be more granular with our user permissions and rights management. And more customization with the Presets as well as the ability to designate the Focal Spot on an image. (We have lots of ideas to help improve and add to Canto but these are the top ones)

Top Tier DAM

Pros

Canto is extremely user friendly, straight forward, and a great value. All support is provided in-house and they go above and beyond to resolve issues.

Cons

There is not a feature that Canto doesn't offer. CDN performance with faster loading would be my only suggestion.

Thank you for the review, Jonathan! We're happy to hear that Canto, from using the product to interacting with the team, has been such a positive experience for you.

One of the best DAM platforms in the market

We are a global company operating in more that 50 countries. All our marketing and contente is centralized and produced in one of our main offices. We needed a tool that could help us organize all our assets, and make them available for all teams within the company in our offices all around the world.

Pros

It is a user friendly tool, with a lot of options for customization. This allowed us to tailor the platform for very specific needs. The automatized features, helped us make a relatively implementation.

Cons

Some additional integrations could be useful, like online design platforms.

Thanks for your review, Francisco! We're working on additional integrations now and appreciate that feedback.

Cloud Based Document Management

Very slick from start to finish - good demonstration, easy onboarding and straight into the tool!

Pros

The product is really quick to set-up and provides instant connection between other document management tools such as Dropbox. Having looked around at a lot of other solutions, Canto provided all the functionality we needed at a price that is far more consistent with cloud-based tools!

Cons

Having used the system extensively over the last few months, the only criticism we would mention would be some of the automated connections - for example our Dropbox connection often stalls when refreshing. However, the customer support team are always quick to respond!

Hi Tom, thanks for your review! So glad to hear that Canto's price to performance ratio works out for you and your team!

The Right Fit

Pros

This is the first DAM we've contracted at Mercy and we are very pleased with the features. We are easily able to share and tag photos which is a big plus. The social media integration and native photo editing tools are also helpful for social posts.

Cons

This is eminently customizable, so you need to have strong governance or else you will run into organizational issues. I recommend a work group to review periodically

Have no

Pros

Personally, I liked the ability to get in and see the meta data and set those keywords to what i needed for my team to search for themselves while they are in the field.

Cons

The software is pretty straight forward as long as you have a good naming conventions and have a structure to your files. Didn't really find a issue.

Thank you for the review, Herman! We're happy to hear that Canto is helping your team be self sufficient.

Canto in a Marketing World

I use Canto every day and I have a good experience with it. Support is great, and I rarely find bugs.

Pros

Canto is just easy to use, it's got a great folder tree. It's easy to share content internally and externally. Easy to setup curated libraries. But what I love most, is they listen to customers and implement features their users want!

Cons

Wish there was a better markup tool, the one that exists is very basic. Wish I could send assets to a FTP server.

Thanks for this feedback, Romnee!

Canto is no-brainer for file storage/sorting/sharing

We are able to share whole folders if images with our team members as well as with outside clients from one platform. We assign work to each other from here as well. Sharing with outside clients is one of my favorite points. I can share a link to the content with them without having to reupload images to Google Drive or Dropbox or Onedrive. I

Pros

I really enjoy having the shareable links that can direct outside parties to folders that have their content in them. This way I don't have to use another third-party tool like Google Drive or Dropbox to share documents with clients. Downloading content is easy as well. The My Collections function is great in that it allows me select save files to the My Collections folder. This can help make it easier to find images and documents that I use most often. I also like being able to filter by keywords and tags. It is important that your team utilize these correctly and have unified definitions in place before using this, though. However, this can make it much easier to find what you're looking for.

Cons

The search function does leave something to be desired. I have found it hard to find past documents, images, graphics, etc. But honestly part of that could be just how our team names those folders and files. While the My Collections function is great, the Following and My Selections functions seem redundant. Another downside is that the shareable links that we use to share the content with outside clients does expire. I know this is for security, but if the client does not access the content in a timely fashion, which happens often, then we have to resend it.

Thanks for the review, Benjamin. You can share links without expiration dates as well! In the share window, instead of adding an expiration date, simply click "Never".

Great product at a great price!

I priced a number of different applications including Canto. After doing a valuations on a product they narrowed it down to three, Canto being one of the three. After reviewing the other products and Canto I found that Canto provided for more capabilities it is substantially reduced cost. Canto has helped us to improve our ability to deliver contents to a very large Group of individuals within the university. This product has helped us to broaden our ability to share a message in a very powerful way.

Pros

This product helps us to deliver video in high-resolution images rapidly. In the past, this was a very time-consuming process but Canto has allowed us to create an amazing solution. As a result, we're able to deploy web and social media solutions dynamically as needed. This product helps us to deliver video and high-resolution images rapidly. In the past, this was a very time-consuming process but Canto has allowed us to create an amazing solution. As a result, we're able to deploy web and social media solutions dynamically as needed.

Cons

It took a little bit of time to understand the structure of the software, but after going through the deployment and using it I had a better understanding of it. Some of the features related to users and permissions within subdirectories were a little challenging to understand.

We appreciate this review, Joseph! It's amazing to know that Canto is helping your team be even more dynamic and agile.

Saves time - very easy to collaborate + share and receive files online

Pros

Several features have really simplified my photo management role. Metadata is customizable to your needs - and while it takes careful thought initially, when set up is easy to apply. 'Upload links' allow outside people to add photography directly to the system in a controlled manner - this has significantly helped with timeliness and ease of receiving photography. I love the branding portal, and the versioning capabilities. I also love the Facial Recognition feature - no more tagging the same people over and over. The company consistently improves the software and innovates - releasing frequent feature updates.

Cons

While it is fairly intuitive, there are aspects (of the portals for example) that need to be explained to a new user - this can be time consuming. I have been frustrated that new features are sometimes expensive paid add-ons, even when they were discussed as 'coming' during the research process (features I thought would be included with upcoming releases). As much as possible, try to envision future features you will need and consider that in your contract discussions.

Stay Organized In Style - Great for Multiple Users

Overall the experience has been good - customer service is prompt and helpful and they respond quickly to issues. Overall it serve the purpose of organizing, tagging, filtering, searching, downloading and sharing. The feedback has been positive from other users, so long as they can find what they are looking for (and this is due to whomever is in charge, tagging, and doing the organizing). This is not a product that will take care of itself, you need an administrator that is working in the product on a regular basis to make it work.

Pros

We decided to use Canto because of many features including the design, customizability, customer service, large thumbnails, organizational structure, tagging feature, and portal for outside consumers.

Cons

You really need an organized person to keep this DAM working for everyone in your company/business so that the organizational structure makes sense. The less cooks in the kitchen, the better - one person should really spearhead the overall design, tags and org. Overall it works for High-Ed. Must pay attention to the little things (like expiring links to photos or albums) - can get tedious and redundant where you need to fix links if you don't pay attention to these things in the beginning.

Thank you for sharing your experience with using Canto!

The best bang for your buck if starting out

Prior to Canto, all of our marketing material used to reside on a shared drive accessible within the organization network. All brand manager would own folders within which they stored marketing assets - images, brochures, videos, 3D assets. This caused issues because - a) Simple folders = no tagging = very hard to search for assets; b) No version control, approval history, and random nomenclature...

Pros

Ease of single uploads, tagging to enable search, multi-folder assignment, deduplication, portal creation

Cons

Difficulty in bulk upload, downloading buggy, no mobile app version

Hi Ashish! Thank you for reviewing Canto. We have a mobile app coming soon, and your account manager will be in contact regarding the bulk upload issues you are having.

We love Canto

Very simple and straight forward. No surprises. Friendly and fast to respond customer service who go above and beyond to ensure we have the best user experience possible. What you see is what you get and I couldn't be happier.

Pros

It's a visual, web-based DAM that is incredibly easy to use and assessable from anywhere. Canto is incredibly fast and responsive, with all sorts of plug ins and extensions to integrate your favorite browser, file transfer site or software application (Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, Premier). The Portals & User Permissions allow a lot of fine tuning to ensure each user or team has access to only the assets they should. The admin controls couldn't be easier to use, making managing access through the system a total breeze. The simplicity is and emphasize on clean visuals really puts Canto above most other platforms we've used or demonstrated. Highly recommend others take the time to see what Canto offers and how your company can benefit from what it does best.

Cons

I don't have any, to be honest. Though it would be nice if a standalone application for advanced management existed, similar to how the Advanced Uploader application makes uploading large batches of files easier - would be nice if I could perform backups, re-arranging assets, etc. through an application for complex tasks. It's not essential, but I would absolutely be able to leverage something like that since mass re-organizing albums and assets through a browser can be sluggish and difficult.

A Good DAM Solution

We originally used personal hard drives and shared network drives for our asset management. Working with vendors for graphics was done via email. We've been able to transfer most of that over to Canto now. A week after launching Canto, HR came to use looking for photos of colleagues. Previously this would've taken hours to find what they were after. However, the AI Smart Tagging made it very easy to do a search for "people", then we added a couple of filters. Within minutes we had hundreds of photos that we sent to HR.

Pros

Interface is very intuitive. There is a really good balance between having a turnkey solution and being able to customize things. Custom tags and multiple ways of tagging assets was my biggest priority. There were a few solutions that provided more customization, but would've required more oversight as well. Our small team didn't have the bandwidth for that. Ability to create portals and upload links has been a gamechanger for us in asset distribution and collection. Just hosted a large community fundraiser. We gave each photographer an upload link with the option of some quick tags. We had thousands of images tagged and uploaded into the platform effortlessly. This used to be very time consuming for us.

Cons

Facial recognition is pretty weak. They are the larger customer of AWS facial recognition tool. If Canto switched to Google's tool, I feel it'd be much more reliable and function the way it's intended to. As of now, we just opt not to use it. Support could do a better job at recognizing the shortcomings of their product and recommending product enhancements. I often have to request multiple times for something to be an enhancement. I haven't had any follow-up yet, so not sure if they're going to implement things though.

Efficient tool allows our creatives to thrive

Awesome tool that has kept out large team aligned and on the same page.

Pros

• One source of truth for a wide range of assets • Prevents access and server issues with a team spread throughout the country • Easy to use and deploy, while constantly refining structure and strategy • Branded portals allow our employees to self-serve versus manually managing daily requests

Cons

• Interface can be clunky; needs a modern refreshed makeover! • More style guides to customize for different needs and brands within one organization

Robust features and multiple ways of access

What do you like best? The flexibility of deployment and implementation was paramount for our organization, as we ended up hosting the solution on premise due to our large file sizes. We love how the metadata is written back to the asset. Additionally, the various ways to access the assets through the web, through apps or through a desktop client made the user adoption go very smoothly. What do you...

Pros

Cons

Customizing the software during the installation and implementation phase was more time consuming than we had anticipated and with the new releases of software and portals we have encountered some delays and hiccups (we are working through them). Out of the "box" reporting is significantly lacking compared to the other options, but you can buy a 3rd party addin for that.

Robust features and multiple ways of access

Cons

Working smarter not harder!

We are just getting started with Canto but LOVE it! We have over 15,000 assets uploaded to our system to-date and have only been using the product since March 1, 2020. Every day we are learning some new functions of Canto and how to better organize and tag our assets to make magic happen! Canto is worth the cost and I'm excited to keep exploring all the functions it has to offer to us and our clients!

Pros

I love Canto's Facial recognition feature! We have a lot of assets where we need to identify people and facial recognition has changed everything! now we can search for people by name and access every photo asset we have of that person! Game changer! I also love being able to relate files and add custom fields to assets. This has come in so handy when we need to connect people's images to their stories and FOIP information. Canto has really helped us work smarter and not harder to find all of the assets we have in a more dynamic way!

Cons

We have found the uploading of assets to be a little more work than anticipated. The Canto Connect desktop application is helpful but when initially setting up out canto product it is a lot of work. When you have over 20,000 assets to upload it takes a team of people to make that happen and a good amount of time to get everything uploaded.

Canto makes DAM a breeze

Canto has allowed our organization to better manage our digital assets, which in turn saves time and money. It can be extremely time consuming searching for images on a shared drive, but the search and tagging function on Canto helps our employees to be able to find images quick and efficiently. Sharing photos with external partners and stakeholders also used to be time consuming, but now we are able to share photos instantaneously through the share link or through the partner portal, allowing for external partners to feel like they are in the loop.

Pros

Canto was extremely easy to implement into our business. Previously, we stored all of our photos/videos/files on the shared drive, external hard drives and servers. Canto has allowed us to ensure all employees who require access to digital assets have access to them, regardless if they are at the office or not. We really like the convenient options for sharing files with external stakeholders, especially the sharing link. It eliminates the need to upload files to dropbox and worry about storage issues.

Cons

No cons. Each time I have had a technical issue, the Canto support staff has helped me very quickly and ensured my problem was fixed.

Thank you for your review, Breanne! We're very happy to know that Canto is so easy and effective for your team.

User-friendly, Secure, Dynamic

Right from the start, the user-friendly nature of the platform ensures that all users, whether trained in asset management and best-practices or not, will be able to explore our content in a dynamic fashion, with very little training necessary to get their bearings. From a seamless upload/download process to an intuitive tagging and keyword system, Canto allows its Administrators full control during the process, including the option to customize additional metadata facets as needed, offering you and your team a curated experience. Canto has revolutionized the way that we store, tag, organize, and share our digital assets while at the same time securing their future integrity. The customer care has been excellent, and the Canto team is committed and engaged at all times.

Pros

Canto's user-friendly interface allows for an easy, intuitive platform to host, organize, and share all of our digital assets. Having something that is so intuitive puts all team members at ease, and increases their implementation of the platform in their day-to-day work.

Cons

Canto divides its users between three levels: Admin, Collaborator, and Consumer. There is very little that you can't do in Canto. A fully customizable experience for Administrative and Collaborator level users means a great deal of your DAM needs are met. I do feel that the Consumer-level experience can be expanded further, for example: with regards to facial recognition, a Consumer-level user is more than capable of identifying faces within a photograph, but the current constraints of the consumer level does not allow for this level of data input. Overall, this dynamic spark of the Canto platform is sometimes lost at the Consumer-level.

Thanks for your review! We appreciate the kind words. We're happy to know that Canto allows your team to be at ease while working with digital assets!

Canto DAM

We use canto to house all of our brand assets, collateral, graphics, videos, etc. Our entire company has access, so they don't need to bother the marketing team to provide graphics for them, they can obtain them themselves. We also have templates available on Canto, so stakeholders can create simple pieces on their own rather the disturbing the marketing team allowing us to focus on higher priorities.

Pros

It is very user-friendly. It's visual and easy to navigate. It has great search and filter features. You can send people directly to an asset without giving them access to everything.

Cons

You can upload a separate cover image; you have to use one that is already in your library; it has to be an actual asset. This is difficult if your fold of assets only contains font or color libraries, the thumbnails have no visual.

Thanks for the feedback! We are glad Canto provides a simpler way for teams to collaborate!