All categories

Direct Mail Reviews

Pros

Great Templates, Ease of use and customization, Very good analytics. Renders very well on all kinds of devices and there's plenty of additional testing functions.

Gianni C.

Outstanding customer support. Excellent selection of easily, editable templates.

Bob R.

In addition to doing what is asked of it reports are chelated and exported effortlessly. A potentially drudge job becomes a pleasure with this, the right software.

Paul N.

Cons

I've experienced people I've known well reporting me, rather than merely unsubscribing. One I called up and she said she did it by accident.

Pittershawn P.

Not sure about the domain authentication process. I don't really want to bother our IT guy to have him update the DNS records just for me to use this.

Kevin B.

May be we need more template to choice, but really is difficult to find something that is not working well, but please continue to develop so we can remain with you.

Maurizio C.

Perfect Platform for Small Batch Mailing

This is a core part of my communication toolkit. While I still use other mailing list platforms for specific purposes, this solves very specific bulk mailing needs.

Pros

I use this program for lists which have small and specifically targeted audiences. This mainly includes press lists for producing events, and for teaching large classes or workshops. It allows me to create simple mailings where I do not want a lot of noise or fuss, more like direct mail as opposed to broadcasting a message. It's the perfect scale and I love the ease of understanding the reporting, which becomes of direct benefit for following up and moving between lists. It functions for me like the perfect basic database for supporting the ways I need to communicate.

Cons

At this point I don't have a lot of complaints, as I've been using it for probably a decade. The cloud synchronization has been greatly improved more recently. I often send things which are just this side of plain text for ease of reading and sharing the content with the audiences I send to, and I do find that it's best to bring in any text unformatted and do the formatting within Direct Mail as the styles can get funky when one copies and pastes.

• Likelihood to recommend10.00/10

Direct Mail always hits the spot

One of my oldest clients is a company that offers PR monitoring software and for the last five years we have been sending out email campaigns every week (Tuesdays through Thursdays) and I know that they are getting customers signing up to their services as a result. We update their campaigns on a regular basis and with Direct Mail's excellent interface I can adapt and amend things very quickly. For...

Pros

Direct Mail is a powerful and comprehensive, but easy-to-use, email delivery platform that makes every email campaign a joy to design, develop and implement. It's intuitive interface allows you to design a campaign, create a distribution list and then monitor the results in realtime. The templates that are provided by Direct Mail are almost infinitely adaptable, but you can create your own formats or import templates. Either way, you have at your fingers tips a professional system that I would now not want to be without.

Cons

There is very little, if anything, to dislike, but if there is one improvement they could make it would be to have the option to use the email sign-up forms as a contact form. At the moment, when creating automated sign-up forms, the only option is for users to 'subscribe', but if Direct Mail could incorporate the option to choose 'submit' and not 'subscribe' that instantly turn it into a powerful and highly editable contact form, which you can incorporate into any website.

• Likelihood to recommend5.00/10

Sending mails from an external database was easier before

Time

Pros

It is doing what I want. Connect to an external database, send mail via an externa provider. But things are not working so well. The thing is that data in database are evolving and, in the new version, I have to re-right the request to the database each time in different adress group coming from different database. Spam test is not working. Preferences ares sometime not kept, situation on the screen for exemple.

Cons

Again it does exactly what i want but less easier than previous version . Main point is database connection.

Thanks for your review, Pascal. If you are having any trouble with importing, spam tests, or preferences, please contact our support team and they'll be happy to get things straightened out. Thanks!

• Likelihood to recommend10.00/10

Direct Mail because it's easy to use

I use Direct Mail heavily with DM campaigns for services and products, weekly and monthly newsletters both for my business, my local Rotary Club, and for my Rotary District.

Pros

What I like most with Direct Mail is how easy it is to use - especially for newsletters. Easy to design own templates and administer the address databases and opt-in functionality. It is also a good thing that you only pay for what you use by "digital stamps".

Cons

I would probably want a more visual way to make "workflows" and the possibility to make more tailor-made opt-in and landing pages for campaigns.

• Likelihood to recommend10.00/10

The MUST HAVE email marketing tool for Apple users!

Overall the experience I've had has been wonderful. I also use Daylite in my business and Direct Mail integrates with this program which is such a time saver. That's just one of the integrations and there are a massive amount that make the software super flexible for any use case.

Pros

Direct Mail is a product native to Apple products which is amazing. Because of this, it's easy to use. If you can draft an email in the stock Mail app, you can use Direct Mail. The sign-up forms are easy to create and can be integrated into Facebook pages and websites with an easy cut and paste of the embed code. The partner app Stamps for iOS allows you to check your campaigns on the go and is just as easy to use. The pricing is amazing compared to competitors. Instead of charging for both the numbers of subscribers and the amount of emails sent, Direct Mail pricing is based off of subscriber count only (the monthly plan) and includes unlimited email sends.

Cons

There aren't many cons to this software, but one that does stand out for my use is that the open rate percentage and click rate percentage for all campaigns sent is kind of elusive. This isn't something that would deter me from recommending or using the product though as it can be calculated quickly if needed. The other thing I wish that it had was the ability to draft and build out campaigns from within the mobile app, though I wouldn't consider this a con. I'm finding the more that I use it, the more I'm okay with having to do the campaign building from my laptop. It keeps me from obsessing over things which can sometimes cause me to nit pick something that doesn't need to be picked at.

Great Value, Top-Notch Customer Service

It allowed me to provide a high level of service to my clients at a very reasonable price.

Pros

Cost drew me to Direct Mail for Mac; I was sending out up to 50,000 weekly e-mails for a client at one point. It was by far the lowest-cost option for bulk e-mailing on that scale. But there were other things that made the experience so great. On the few times I had deliverability issues, I got one-on-one attention from the developers who talked me through the adjustments I needed to make on my DNS settings. They are very protective of their sender reputation, which increased my deliverability rates vs. other vendors without dedicated IPs.

Cons

I'm using it a lot less these days because my workflow has changed and it isn't a good fit for what I am trying to accomplish at the moment. But if I were to return to mass sechduled e-mails, Direct Mail for Mac would still be my first choice.

• Likelihood to recommend10.00/10

Great mail program with extensive features

I was looking for a low-cost mail program that was very easy to learn and get up and running. The major issue was getting a zap to work, but once that was working, I was very happy with the result. Likewise, zaps for onsite forms. But the learning curve for actually USING it, and sending emails. Cost per email is very very low - I buy 10K at a time for $99 so one cent each. Pretty good pricing! Delivery is almost instantaneous, and it is fun to watch the responses roll in.

Pros

Low cost per email, campaign reports, mailing lists easy to build and maintain, easy to use block editor. I use this via zaps with Shopify, as well as forms on my WP site. Much smaller learning curve compared to mail chimp.

Cons

Not as common support - required a zap to connect to Shopify, rather than directly connect, as will bigger company products. I appears to not detect duplicates in lists. I would like a more powerful editor, more like Divi for constructing emails. However, the basic block editor works pretty well.

Highly Recommend

Excellent

Pros

You can compose and edit emails as well as your database offline and without an internet connection. You never have to worry about losing work if your connection goes down. Great reporting as well and the chat support is helpful and fast!

Cons

I would love the ability to analyze various list performances.

• Likelihood to recommend10.00/10

If Apple made a direct mail app, it would look & feel like this!

It's a perfectly simply solution to creating customer engagement. It's actually a pleasure to use since it looks and feels great.

Pros

it's really easy to set up and execute and it integrates with my CRM of choice (Daylite) really well

Cons

I don't have any deal-breakers, but would always love more templates

• Likelihood to recommend10.00/10

Amazing and solved our bulk email issues.

Pros

Our team loves how easy this is to manage, set up and keep on top of key clients. Bravo!

Cons

We LOVE IT and have zero changes. Thanks so much.

• Likelihood to recommend10.00/10

Direct Mail made me happier and swear less (and saved me money)

Direct Mail has meant it takes me about one fifth of the time to compose and send an email campaign (compared to MailChimp). The user interface means I'm more confident about writing emails because I don't end up fixated on all the fidgety formatting and targeting issues I had on MailChimp. I've probably increased the number of EDMs I've sent out by about 80% because of how easy it is to use Direct Mail. I've had a much better engagement rate from my lists, and I swear at the computer a whole lot less.

Pros

I switch to Direct Mail from MailChimp and have no regrets. I basically love everything and can't choose one. I love the fact I can work on campaigns locally on my computer without being online and not in a browser. The lists and address management is simple yet agile. I've been able to integrate the sign up form on to my website very simply without needing a third party plugin. The emails I send are irregular, - some months I might send thousands, and others none at all - so the pricing structure is ideal for my business model. I'd never be able to sign up to a program that was charging a monthly subscription fee.

Cons

It was a bit difficult to get in touch with customer support while I was figuring out the software, and it would be good if there was a community forum for users to exchange knowledge and tips. I ended up abandoning my original idea and using a workaround because it took too long to be able to contact customer support (I'm based in Melbourne, Australia, so the time zones don't easily match up).

Great Option for Small Business/Enterprise

The customer service was very fast when I couldn't remember how to switch back to my own account from the community account. It was great that I could figure into the cost the exact amount I would need for that project's budget. You are in control.

Pros

I have used Direct Mail for several years, for my own small business and also for a community outreach project. It was wonderful to find an option that allowed me to pay for the amount of emails I would need instead of a monthly fee. The set up was easy, and the "sign up for newsletter" option is excellent, allowing you to brand it with your own logo. Once a person signs up you are notified. I was able to build a sizable email list. The emails are very easy to configure and again you can use your own graphics. You can reuse and build upon a previous email. It also has a test feature to help you avoid being considered spam. I am very happy with Direct Mail.

Cons

Nothing really, it fit my needs and works perfectly.

Excellent Email Program for Small Business Owners

I'm using Direct Mail to auto-respond to new subscribers. I also use it to send seasonal newsletters.

Pros

Direct Mail for Mac is an excellent email system for small business owners who do everything themselves. The software is easy to set up, easy to use, easy to maintain, and it's reliable. I really appreciate that you do NOT have to purchase a monthly subscription. You can, but you don't have to. I have a small mailing list so the Pay Per Email Plan works best for me. The software also integrates with Zapier allowing new subscribers to be added automatically when they register on my website. My CRM has a newsletter option, but the set up is much more complicated. Direct Mail for Mac makes it easy.

Cons

I wish there were more message templates and layout options.

Longtime Love Interest

My overall experience has been wonderful. This is a pro-level tool that every small, indie, business should make great use of. It is light on the wallet and there every time you need it.

Pros

What I like most about this software is that it is there just when I want it. There is no needling "missing you" emails, no fees for when I have a busy time and just can't get to it and no fuss on telling me how to make my emails better. It is an all around pleasure.

Cons

What I like least about this software is that it has such a tight complaint algorithm. I, totally, understand why and the reasoning for this. I am aware the industry is traditionally squirley about spam reporting. Not saying any company has handled it better than this software. However, as a business who tries hard to deliver information with lots of paths for people to opt-out, it always amazes me when people simply forget they opted-in ;)

• Likelihood to recommend7.00/10

If you knoow what you're doing - DirectMail is the best

Having used a range of programs - DirectMail certainly gives you the most hands on experience. The biggest draw back is being app-based; while most competitors are all online - but this is what also provides the biggest advantage in terms of tools and functionality.

Pros

Control of the whole process - from HTML editing to subscriber management to design and spam testing - it's fun to work with.

Cons

No online tool. Reporting is limited, there aren't enough ways to compare and contrast. Very hard to export reports and data in bulk. Hard to get examples out as PDF / Image filles.

Thanks a ton for your review, Marty! Much appreciated! I wanted to mention that the latest version of Direct Mail includes expanded options for exporting report data and for exporting your messages as PDF files. You may want to update and take a look. Please reach out to us with any questions or feedback. Thanks!

• Likelihood to recommend9.00/10

Easy to use Mail software

Direct Mail was easy to get to grips with and has enabled me to send attractive and engaging mass mails out to my existing client base, and provides an easy way for me to keep the flow of information about new workshops going between myself and my customers

Pros

I like the the ease of use and simple copy and paste features so that I can create an editing style and apply it to different sections in the email

Cons

Some of the editing features feel a bit lacking in intelligent features to me, but overall once you becoem familiar with it, it's easy to use.

Simply the best

I use it for everything regarding my newsletters. Managing subscribers, editing emails, evaluate tracking.

Pros

Runs as a client on your computer. No need to use a terrible web interface. Works offline. Greatest tracking features I have seen so far. Different useful options in pricing. Intuitive usage. Option to use your own SMTP server.

Cons

Should offer usage of European servers and/or a solution to host your own subscriber database.

Great Software but AWFUL management and support after

Pros

One of the easiest and good looking mail sender on the Mac have used it for years. (not anymore though)

Cons

You have to pay them to send using your SMTP, which is fine, but as soon as you offend their very strict rules they disable the whole part of the sending process, meaning the softwares useless. Then thats where you find out the support is AWFUL, as it seems to me theres only 2 people that work there, they refuse to talk on phone, and despite promises when chased up, they don't answer emails. genuinely terrible.

Thanks for your review, John. Sorry that you had a bad experience. We strive to provide excellent customer service (via email and live chat), and are grateful for the many five star customer service reviews we've received here and on other sites. In order to maintain a high quality of service, we ask all of our customers to agree to an anti-spam policy that forbids the use of illegal or purchased email lists. If that policy is violated, we are happy to explain how to resolve the issue. However, we are not able to help customers who repeatedly harass and threaten our employees.

• Likelihood to recommend10.00/10

Helped get my business off the ground!

As a long-time Mac user, I bought this software when I first launched my own business in 2010, it came in handy for reaching new customers and helping get my business off the ground.

Pros

The multitude of built-in templates is great, as is the ability to create your own templates! The ability to track clicks and other activity is also super!

Cons

I was sorry to see the ability to live-edit the html code go away.

Easy to use, maximise Direct Marketing success

Love it from the beginning.

Pros

If you are a Mac-User - there is no better way to start your Email-Marketing. Newsletter setup very handsome, easy to use, import contact date and go ahead. Wonderful templates that you may change as you like.

Cons

That I learned about it too late ;) smtp-access-costs around 240 €/year, sounds a little bit expensive for this feature.

The Goldilocks EMP

I recommend DirectMail as an EMP solution to all of my Mac-based clients.

Pros

DirectMail speeds workflow with a dead simple drag-and-drop interface and heaps of other time-saving features not found in online EMPs.

Cons

If I had to pick a least favorite aspect of DirectMail then it would be the sync time with the cloud.

• Likelihood to recommend8.00/10

Tracking Readership for a small business

As I learn all its features I like it more and more

Pros

Once I had figured it out, with some help from helpful 'Help' people at Directmail, it has been extremely useful to me in doing was email broadcasts to my client and subscriber base, something I could to do with my usual email software, [Mac]Mail. Works very well on my Mac. I sue the subscriber option which allowed me to install the software on my isp's server. cost effective and looks to my readers as coming directly form me.

Cons

The reporting could be improved(?) if we could be sure the receiver has actually 'opened' the email, or merely saw the summary on their device, especially the case for people who receive the email on there mobile device. I haven't figured out how file management works on the system yet.

• Likelihood to recommend10.00/10

Used this product for several years, and it's well worth the money

Pros

Direct Mail is very easy to use, and fairly reliable. We send several newsletters a week. Each project has the option to use on the local desktop and/or sync with the cloud. Integrates nicely with most of our business apps. I can't say enough about their Tech Support team--[SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] in particular is amazing.

Cons

Future scheduling could contain a few more prompts. And any previously-set "future schedule" should be removed from the next blast (for some reason, it retains the last-set "Schedule" setting rather than returning to the default setting of Send Now).

Terrific Basic Service for Digital Marketing

Very Good!

Pros

Great product for the price We use Direct Mail to manage our customer base for two separate target audiences. The service is helpful and easy to use, being able to create, reuse and modify previous campaign flyers, driving traffic to our websites, providing useful metrics, keeping our database relevant when clients change email addresses or are no longer interested in receiving annoucements. Overall DM has worked well for our small business. We cannot afford to invest in other CRM services such as MailChimp, Constant Contact, GetResponse or other email marketing services. DirectMail fulfills our current needs.

Cons

Wish the interface were more user friendly Wish there were more customization tools for the templates

• Likelihood to recommend9.00/10

Easy to use, but above all; great results!

My overall experience with Direct Mail is great. I have used a few others in the past, but Direct Mail beats them all. A very user friendly UI....

Pros

What an easy to use piece of software. Within no-time you built fantastic newsletters and mailings. They look great and give fantastic response. I know with every mailing I send out, I will score multiple leads...

Cons

To be honest; the software works flawless... the only con I can think of is the pricing. Yes, I know, I am a cheap dutchman.... but I prefer a one time fee...