ResourceSpace

Open-source digital asset management (DAM) software

ResourceSpace Reviews

Pros

I love that I can quickly find the assets that I need and that I can file robust caption and other detailed information with images.

Kristin S.

Linda K.

A very positive experience, user feedback has been excellent.

Cons

I find that my colleagues inexperienced with image searches struggle with the usability.

Kristin S.

Michelle d.

Margaret C.

4.3

A simple yet powerful platform with a good degree of flexibility

Pros

ResourceSpace is simple yet powerful. I would say that the most important aspect is that it's user-friendly for end-users, and that has made a big difference. I found the Montala team to also be friendly and efficient in sorting out a few issues and bugs. There are many functionalities that we at this point do not make use of, but it's good to know they are there in case we need them.

Cons

The collections system at the bottom of the screen offer a simple interface to manage your selections but it's also easy to make mistakes and modify previously created collections. I would suggest that when logging back into a new session, that the "current collection" be reset to a new collection to avoid mistakes.

Review of ResourceSpace

In general I am very pleased with ResourceSpace, and the customer service I receive.

Pros

ResourceSpace is a really helpful and user-friendly digital asset management system that has enabled us to effectively share resources throughout our organisation and beyond, setting appropriate access levels.

Cons

Development happens without consultation, and the recent introduction of the new 'selection' option has caused me several problems in adding an extra stage in my work process. I'd appreciate greater flexibility in deciding which new features I want, and which I'd rather opt out of.

Many thanks for the excellent review!

Price is good. The UX... not so much

Sadly we pitched this software to a big enterprise level client without realizing the full extent how rough it is to work with. We made a bit of a mess for ourselves because trying to teach the client how to use this was incredibly painful and ultimately led to us looking for new solutions.

Pros

The price. We are big fans of open source software and we also have a bunch of clients that really need Digital Asset Management but cannot afford Widen or similar solutions.

Cons

The UX is terrible. Figuring out how to get a lot of assets into the system and to organize them into folders is amazingly counter-intuitive. It would be utterly impossible to teach clients on how to use the system unless they are very technically savvy and have tons of patience. Also, uploading assets in bulk is theoretically possible but not really sensible. Let's say you want to upload 100...

Hi Anthony, Thanks again for the constructive feedback - this is always very useful to us. A quick update: Since your review we've hired a UX consultancy and overhauled the UI significantly. We'd love to be able to show you what we've done. I've sent you a LinkedIn invite - catch up soon perhaps? Regarding the naming of assets on upload, it's not necessary to enter a title for the full set and in fact the system can use the filenames as the titles if that's easier (which I think is what you wanted to happen). That's just configuration and I'd be happy to walk you through that. Dan ResourceSpace Team Lead

Open customizable platform that requires technical expertise to use well.

Pros

We were drawn to ResourceSpace because of it feature set and that it was open source project. Initially, we hosted it on our own servers, then paid for support from the developer, then transitioned to a hosted plan. It is incredibly flexible. You can develop customized access with user groups, and limit use, to some extent, on a per user basis. You can alter the interface and add to it using custom plug-ins. The number of users is not restricted. With a clear out of the box feature set, the open source nature of ResourceSpace makes rebranding and customization only limited by developer cost and time.

Cons

ResourceSpace is feature rich, has developed over a long time and is continually evolving. This has led to a complicated code base which can create edge case functionality that doesn’t work as expected. There is no documentation that explains the underlying technological concepts. This would help in planning customization or adapting the ResourceSpace way. There are times when changes can yield unexpected...

Many thanks for the fantastic review! If you're looking for more technical documentation we added database and function documentation recently: https://www.resourcespace.com/knowledge-base/developers/

ResourceSpace has transformed the way we use our photo library

Since getting ResourceSpace, we've been able to empower our team and others in the organization to find the photos they need. Designers and photographers no longer have to be the “knowledge keepers” of the photo library—anyone with a login can search for photos themselves. Our initial investment of time in setting up the system was well worth it. The ResourceSpace support team was very helpful in the onboarding process, even setting up some user groups for me when I ran up against the limits of my understanding. They continue to provide excellent support. The system has scaled well to additional user groups and a growing library.

Pros

Support, price, and features: The Montala support team has been amazing - super-fast response time, despite being on different continents. Every rep I've had contact with has been helpful, respectful, and patient. Price - The annual service fee gives us huge value. Features - The system is remarkably customizable, and the support team has been great at helping me implement whatever I need. Ongoing updates to the system continue to add value.

Cons

Integrations with Adobe products would be amazing!

Hi Linda, many thanks for the kind words which I shall pass on to the rest of the team! You mentioned you'd like Adobe integration, well we actually have it - see https://www.resourcespace.com/knowledge-base/plugins/adobe_link Dan

Exceptional tool for making the most of our visual assets

We've really benefited from Montala's knowledge on how to set up ResourceSpace to maximise benefit.

Pros

We started self hosting ResourceSpace about 10 years ago, an decided to use their hosted platform more recently. ResourceSpace has enabled us to share media, promotional and archive resources with our global team.

Cons

There are some advanced admin features that could be made a little more user friendly, but the team at Montala have jumped in to help if we've got stuck.

Thanks for the great review! We're always working on the usability of the software - it's been a major focus over the past year and will continue to be for some time. We're moving to those admin areas you mention now. An example of a complex admin area that's now easy to use is Search Filters - see: https://www.resourcespace.com/knowledge-base/systemadmin/search-filters There's much more to come along these lines!

Excellent support from Montala. The time differential US Eastern to UK was not a problem

It is a great time saver for our Communications department. Our museum had a technically demanding implementation requiring integration with our TMS system of record.

Pros

The feature list is very competitive among digital asset management systems and it is growing all the time. Montala support is exceptional. Implementation was smooth with plentiful help from Montala. The help desk responds very quickly and is willing to explain the nature of your issues as well as fix them. The cost is a tremendous bargain.

Cons

Setting privileges is not as straightforward as it could be but Montala is very helpful if you get stuck. The setup pages for granting privileges needs to be improved, but I believe that such a revamp is on Montala's upgrade path. The online documentation was spotty at first but it is becoming first rate very quickly.

Revolutionized my workflow

ResourceSpace has revolutionized my workflow. I can quickly process new assets, file them together with the necessary information, and share with my organization. Previous systems had been a headache and worry for me as an administrator and nearly impossible for my colleagues to use but ResourceSpace gives me confidence and relief that our assets and image management system is in order.

Cons

An excellent resource management system

A very positive experience, user feedback has been excellent

Pros

Extremely user-friendly and very easy to tailor to the institution's needs

Cons

New developments tend to be buggy at first, but repairs are always swift and thorough

Many thanks for the great review! We've taken on board the comment about testing of new features and this is something we're working to improve. We already have an extensive regression testing process however we're now looking to use automated testing to cover as many edge cases as possible, which should decrease the number of bugs found on production systems.

A good solution if you have a designated administrator

We probably didn't fully utilize with everything that it is capable of. It did provide a great way to use our own servers. We just didn't have the resources to keep it maintained.

Pros

It was open source so we could host on our own servers.

Cons

Was hard to search for photos. We also didn't have the staff to keep the software upgraded or maintained.

A practical resource

Pros

Resource Space is a robust warehouse platform with useful features. The ability to customize your account is great and its easy to have outside photographers upload and tag directly to the system.

Cons

While generally easy to use, it feels like Resource Space was developed by developers in that it can be very technical and all about the features (vs what an average user might need/want)

Thanks for the review and the kind comments. Just to touch on the last point on it being quite technical - we felt the same way at the time of your review. Since then we've put a lot of work in to the UI including an extensive overhaul following a report we commissioned from a UX specialist. There's now much more of a focus on the core features and ResourceSpace generally has a less "technical" vibe to it. Would be great to know what you think!

Great organizational tool for our photo database

We have decades worth of photos, and Resource Space gives us an easy way to search them. The ability to caption photos is hugely helpful, and the collections give us a way to browse photos when we need something more general. The ability to directly share items (especially video files), without needing to download them and then upload them again to Dropbox or Hightail, is invaluable.

Pros

Having so many ways to identify and describe assets: tags, captions, subjects, etc. The ability to create and browse collections, and the ability to share directly from Resource Space.

Cons

Could be a little easier to navigate.

Hi Megan, Thanks for your very positive review! After reading your comment about ease of navigation I thought it was worth adding that we've worked to address this since you wrote your review, and have added the Browse Bar which pulls together the various navigational elements in one easy to use side panel. See: https://www.resourcespace.com/knowledge-base/user/browsebar I hope that's useful.

ResourceSpace is an extremely powerful tool, and has been very helpful for our organization.

Pros

The software is extremely customizable, and we've been able to adjust it to our organization's specific needs. Already, even after a short time of using it, we've seen the potential it has to manage the many different assets we have to store. We're excited about its huge capacity to help us keep, track, and recall our resources in a moment with its powerful search mechanisms.

Cons

Though the customer support is excellent, the documentation is not always easy to understand, and answers can be difficult to find. Where the user interface is not intuitive, it can make it difficult to teach and demonstrate to new users, especially ones who are unfamiliar with the concept of data asset storage.

Thank you for the review and it's great to hear how useful ResourceSpace is for your organisation. It's been a little while since your review and I thought it was worth addressing that point on documentation. We've worked hard to improve this and our Knowledge Base now includes videos and much more user friendly documentation. I hope that's useful! https://www.resourcespace.com/knowledge-base/

Ticks all the boxes

It has allowed our end users from across several Continents to see, access, download and use all of our available assets.

Pros

Ease of use for the end user and the control over the assets for me as administrator

Cons

Other than a few minor niggles I haven't come across any issues worthy of mention

Having our historical database online for our researchers has been an amazing experience.

We are able to provide online access to the amazing history of Leadville, Colorado.

Pros

I love the flexibility of the interface. The software allows us to present our collection in its many formats. Our database works seamlessly with our website. The tech staff is most helpful and always have great suggestions for making our collection shine.

Best free DAM there is

Price. It's free!

Pros

The different options for deploying. I took the easy one of installing via Bitnami however they have tutorials for any option and OS you want.

Cons

I literally have no cons. The system is easy to set up and there's an extensive how-to library. You can also add plugins which makes it even better.

Hi Ciprian, Thanks for your very positive review! We're pleased that you find the knowledge-base so useful, and the plugin options. You know where we are, if you ever need us! Thanks, Charlotte -ResourceSpace Team

Working closely with resource space on an asset management system in google.

Pros

How flexible it is and how easy it is to have custom needs built into the system. The ability to create multiple user groups and give access to certain users for certain things.

Cons

Setup is fairly manual. It takes a little bit of coding knowledge and the organization of the content on the site is a bit confusing. I don't always know where to find the settings I need (user groups, assets, etc.) We don't LOVE the main page and would love to adjust this a little more easily to fit our brand aesthetic.

Simple and pure DAM solution

Pros

It is free, offers a simple uer interface for end users, and get's the job done. Especially the user interface is very easy to use, so everybody will be able to get a quick start. On the other hand, more advanced users might be missing useful features. But you can't make everybody happy.

Cons

It does not offer more advanced features, like image/video editing, graphical workflow engine, annotations, advanced collaboration and asset sharing features.

Hi James, A quick update - we have basic video splicing and also image editing which we're working on some enhancements to for the 9.5 release. We do also have annotations and since your review we've added automatic AI driven annotations using Google Vision and OpenCV, so this is now a very powerful part of the software. We also have more sharing capability with Adobe integration, Wordpress support and Drupal on the way too. You can keep up to date with these developments via the blog: https://www.resourcespace.com/blog/ There's a link on that page to sign up for notifications. Hope all this is useful!

A solid option

A very solid option in this space. It provides significant levels of customisation of the UI and importantly for our organisation many levels of customisable access to assets. With a sizeable database the ability to add very specific metadata keeps the search functions healthy. Probably one of the best aspects is the Montala support team, who despite being based in the UK are quick to answer any queries and work on them remotely.

Pros

- Interface is clean and highly customisable - Search is powerful and precise - It handles our 80,000+ assets well - Support is extremely helpful and quick

Cons

- Some customisation options are tricky to find and often located in the backend config.php file, requiring specific php knowledge.

Lots of potential, difficult to use.

Pros

The search function is extremely powerful! Great for storing all our assets and retrieving them, as long as everything is tagged right. Everything can be customized, and our company has been able to tailor it exactly to our needs.

Cons

Training new users on the software has been a challenge. The user interface is not intuitive, and some of the concepts are difficult to teach, so it's been difficult to onboard users, especially remote ones.

Hi Michelle, Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback. We're happy that you find the search and customisation options so useful, but sorry that you've been having some trouble onboarding new users! If you need help at all, at anytime, please reach out to our support team and we'll be happy to help. Thanks, Charlotte -ResourceSpace Team

This reviewer only left a rating

Cons

Many thanks for the 5 stars Urko - if there's anything you need just let us know via the "Contact" function on our website.