ACS Logo

ACS

Cloud-based church management and accounting software

ACS Reviews

3.9

Rating criteria

• Likelihood to recommend6.72/10

Reviews by rating

The customer service at ACS is outstanding and would recommend this company and their products to anyone.
What I like best is that it is an affordable, integrated, double-entry accounting system designed specifically for churches and small non-profit organizations.
And unless they've recently updated the software (unlikely), you can't even use it on iPad without an external keyboard. Further, their pricing structure is ridiculous.
Set-up for reports is too complicated and graphs are difficult to arrange and filters are confusing.
The lack of functional expense reporting is lacking given the current state of the art technology. ACS is also limited on the choice of administrators on who should access this or that.

Josh E.

Administrator

Aching for ACS

Transcript

Josh: My name is Josh. I am the Director of Administration. And for ACS Technologies, I gave a rating...

DW

David W.

Senior Pastor

ACS is THE BEST!!

Transcript

David W: Hi, I'm David, I'm a senior pastor, and I give ACS software a five. We are one of ACS' oldest...

Andrea R.

Accounting, 1-10 employees

ACS User For Over 20 years--Using 10.0 Now

Our church is medium sized. We love the Flex Contribution Forms and it's layout. Customer service is spot-on. I agree with all other users who have reviewed. Ease of use, love the People and Financial Modules with its reports which we own. Don't know much about REALM but I think we would be interested. What would seal the deal is the reporting for my Boards and administrators.

Pros

Ease of use--the reporting is awesome.

Cons

Could look more pleasing to the eye like most of the programs today. But it gets the job done. I've seen the progression over the twenty years I have used ACS.

JS

Jo S.

Nonprofit Organization Management, 11-50 employees

Documentation lacking, some add-on modules don't mesh well, reporting in Access sorely lacking.

In general, many of the features of your software are frustrating and not intuitive. I was a programmer and it seems your programmers need to spend more time using the product in real world applications. It should be word like in functions like word. Copying and pasting, formatting those types of applications.

Pros

#1 Pro is that ACS addresses the most important tasks a church is in need of.

Cons

I have found many thing that weren't intuitive. Uploading of photos ok although no way to standardize within the program (cropping sorely needed) and downloading photos isn't intuitive. The modules are limited, all the data in Access needs to transfer into the people suite for reporting purposes. Access pretty useless for reporting purposes. Using the volunteer management is not really practical to use as intended. Although you have made changes where you can transmit data to excel or word. OnDemand stings because you can't save locally in an easy manner. Many times our church has served more or less as your beta testing because we actually try to use all the features and give feedback but we get nothing in return for that. We only do that because it is lacking features or functionality.

Aimee R.

ACS is okay...

We can keep track of our members and visitors and keep good records for visitation.

Pros

The transition from Servant Keeper to ACS was smooth. The onboarding team and the customer service reps are easy to work with and try to be as helpful as possible. The Church Life app is great, and has been a blessing to our church members.

Cons

Working through a separate "portal" is a total pain. The software seems like it's not advancing with the times, and I would much prefer a true "cloud" based system. We are often "kicked off" the portal and have to log in again. We also have difficulty with AccessACS, because it can only be accessed by a Windows based browser (and we all use Mac computers). It's a bit of a hassle to access AccessACS through a separate browser to do the needed uploading tasks and helping our folks with their passwords and such. Finally, they really haven't updated much in the software. It's stagnant, and I see some areas where we may want to explore more modern technology.

KV

Kathy V.

Realm Church Management Software

We formerly had a lot of cash and checks coming through the office for camps, studies and events, etc. With online event registration and payment, it cuts down the need for people to come in to register and pay. Also has various report options that go along with these registrations that are very helpful. Whenever we have a problem or question, customer support is very helpful and friendly!

Pros

Lots of functions from directory, group management, event registration, online payment for events. Every module I've used has been fairly user-friendly. Always upgrading and improving.

Cons

Some days we notice it's "sluggish" (may be an internet issue). We use it every day in our office, but people using it from home often have problems. Doesn't work as well on mobile devices as on computer.

NM

Nadine M.

ACS - small group management

We are a non-denom multi-site church in the DC suburbs (predominantly African-American) with apx 4000 in weekly attendance and 10,000 watching services online. We chose ACS software over the competition because it was robust enough to meet our needs. And like most churches...our needs are varied and nuanced.

Pros

1. The customer support!!!! If I can't figure out how to do something, there are so many ways to get help: Phone calls to a live person that walks me through things step-by-step, webinars, other ACS users in different online communities, etc. 2. The flexibility of the product and how it's grown...and continues to grow...to meet our needs.

Cons

The volunteer management piece isn't as directly integrated as we would like.

Religious Institutions, 51-200 employees

Legacy ACS Suite is Not Your Beat Option

Excellent customer service. Realm product is am improvement. Financials package is still an industry leader.

Pros

Robust, lots of functions, built with churches in mind

Cons

Clunky, slow, old interface, can't adapt to ongoing demands of changing churches

JS

Josh S.

It does everything

ACS is dependable, strong and has always delivered. They have been in the game for awhile and show no signs of slowing down.

Pros

ACS does everything we need in church management software! Aside from service planning it does EVERYTHING needed!

Cons

I would love to see ACS step into the service planning side of things too and truly become an "all in one" stop shop! Interaction with CCLI, ect... The software does take a bit to get used to, it could be more user friendly.

SG

Susan G.

Best church software I've seen!

The software is superb and the customer service goes above and beyond to answer all my questions. ACS offers everything I need to run the church office tasks. From member information, contributions, directory, to financial reports, payroll, taxes, etc.

Pros

Ease of use; frequent upgrades; makes my job more efficient

Cons

I really do like everything about it but if I had to name one thing, it would be the reports part of the program. The reports can be a little difficult to search & display the results you want.

Budget friendly

Overall, the service performs what you need it to do at a lower budget cost, but it could offer more in terms of functionality and appearance.

Pros

It is very easy to set up multiple users and customize what they can access at any given time. I also liked how you can have multiple windows open at a time even if they were from different access "suites."

Cons

The service as a whole is difficult to use. I have found the process to find multiple reports very time-consuming even when you know what you are looking for. The service is not as straight forward to use as I had hoped. You also are not able to customize how the reports look which I would have appreciated when sending reports to clients.

Showing Its Age

ACS was once state of the art software--it is no longer. The company itself is working to move customers to newer products (Realm in particular) and current ACS users should get themselves into the cloud ASAP.

Pros

ACS does everything I need a ChMS to do--keeps track of members, church finances, volunteers, communications, etc. ACTS is a trusted name in this space, and their products are solid and reliable.

Cons

ACS may do everything I want a ChMS to do...but not without a lot of frustration. Sorting out workflow and finding the relevant settings takes far too long and is not at all intuitive. While all the modules technically work together, in practice their integration is flimsy and difficult to understand.

AH

Amy H.

Automotive, 1-10 employees

Used other for 2+ years

Used ACS for 7 years

When we had talks of switching the software to a new company ACS was so far behind that we wouldnt have even been able to transfer our database into a new system

Pros

I worked as a pastoral assisant for 7 years at my church and we used this software. I found the system to be very outdated and difficult to use, the only thing I liked about it was the customer service when you had a question.

Cons

Honeslty the software is stuck in the 90s, I am shocked how far behind the programing is, it was not user friendly at all/

SC

Susan C.

Solid Church Software

We use ACS to keep track of our members. To track groups and to allow easy communication through email or mass mailings.

Pros

The attendance module has allowed us to automate a process that used to take many man hours. It has also improved our ability to keep in touch with our members.

Cons

The reporting feature of the software is highly customizable which is great for it's ability to enable you pull information exactly how you need it, but it makes it's user friendliness a bit lacking.

JT

Jonathon T.

Outdated

Pros

ACS was powerful and stable. It's accounting software was also a huge perk.

Cons

The company started focusing on other products and this one got left in the dust. New features were non-existant. The user interface was clunky and reminiscent of Windos 95. Most of our staff were too intimidated to use it, so they made up their own solutions. This led to so many problems.

AG

Amanda G.

Religious Institutions, 11-50 employees

Perfect for a church new to church management software

I was new to my position at a church and ACS was the program we had in use when I started. It was a great program and was easy to learn with very minimal training.

Pros

Organizes a lot of information for you church members and also can keep track of the contribution side of your ministry.

Cons

The look and some functions are a bit outdated. They are constantly doing updates and the cost is a bit expensive.

AP

Ashley P.

Religious Institutions, 11-50 employees

ACS is a must have software for churches.

Helps keep up with membership info and tracking.

Pros

The best part about this software is the search ability to locate information. While it takes some time to become familiar with how the searches work, you can pretty much find what you are looking for as long as the data has been imputed correctly. For example, you can locate a certain phone number. However, you still need to know how the phone number was classified when it was entered into the software.

Cons

The part I like least about this software is the difficulty of merging documents for mass mail out. There are many steps and takes some time to master this process. It would be great to simply this process.

WL

William L.

By far the worst ChMS I've ever seen

ACS used to be the leader in this industry, but that was in the 1990s. Unfortunately, their software is still stuck in the 90s. It's incredibly difficult to figure out; not at all intuitive. The UX is terrible: it's like working on a Windows 95 machine in your old high school's computer lab. Big issue for me: The software is ONLY for Windows. Do not be fooled by their deceptive product "OnDemand"...

Cons

Hi William, Thank you for caring so much about what¿s best for the church. We do too. We sincerely appreciate your efforts to help people make the best decisions for their church and ministry. That¿s very honorable of you. We¿ll take your feedback and use it to help us get even better. Thanks again for your encouragement.

DL

Denise L.

Education Management, 11-50 employees

Secretary/ Teacher

Having to wait on hold for extensive periods of time was very inconvenient.

Pros

The database was very useful and made my job much easier.

Cons

It was not easy to correct mistakes. Waiting for help was a lengthy process.

DC

David C.

ACS Financials

Great at what they do. An industry leader

Pros

Great accounting software package with robust reporting options.

Cons

Not able to easily import bills. Wish it could link better with our bank and online billing.

jd

jennifer d.

It is like working on Windows 15 years ago.

Pros

It does do everything you need for church accounting. The support is very good. The training materials are extensive. The trainers and very good and usually very helpful.

Cons

It is cumbersome, very slow to use (with many extra steps for every task), not intuitive and and very outdated. Some of the training material goes back to 2003, and looks exactly the same. There are extensive training materials, but they are most often so basic they do not answer anything besides basic questions.

VS

Val S.

Not Intuitive, But Great Once It's Going

ACS is good stuff -- if it is set up correctly and consistently. I like it overall. But there is a steep learning curve.

Pros

I love how flexible/customizable it is, to fit nearly any faith community. It also can be integrated with other programs (giving, background checks, etc.).

Cons

TOTALLY not intuitive. Also, I was assured that the ACS Finance training I was going to was completely for non-finance people and I couldn't follow it at ALL due to the heavy, HEAVY reliance upon accounting jargon.

AM

Andrea M.

Nonprofit Organization Management, 11-50 employees

Reporting is not that easy, especially setting up for year end statements.

Membership interface capabilities. Good product and better than what we had, but I didn't get much training. When we have used customer service/support it has always been good. I am part time, so do not have lots of time to waste trying to figure things out and dealing with customer service.

Pros

Lots of fields available, good access for members. Info seems to be reliable if entered properly. Easy to fix mistakes.

Cons

Setting up reports is not very intuitive and is hard to customize. Not enough directions within the product to guide you.

Nonprofit Organization Management, 51-200 employees

Old and outdated

I would have never picked it and would have switched away from it if I could.

Pros

I worked at a church that had used this software for a long time. It was very old and clunky compared to newer competitors. ACS was working on a more modern version, but it wasn't available for churches of our size at the time.

Cons

It was archaic. Was cumbersome, ugly and not intuitive. The church paid a surprisingly high amount for the software.

ST

Sharon T.

Great company, outstanding customer service, excellent products

PROS - The best thing would have to be the company and the incredible employees that make up this company. The customer service and desire on behalf of the employees to help you accomplish your goals is superb! The products reflect the needs of and input from the end users. Products have changed over the years as churches changed how they do church. The company is incredibly responsive to customers...

Religious Institutions, 51-200 employees

Used other for 2+ years

ACS

Pros

ACS is a software that just has worked for us. I have been here for 7 years now and the finance department has loved it the entire time I've been here.

Cons

We just switched from on-prem to on-demand and while we love the ability to use windows or Mac machines, we had to downgrade the number of people who could access it to stay within budget. The 5 usernames is a nice starting point but it was not deemed cost effective to add more users.

JW

Jeremy W.

Great at somethings

Like I said in the title ...there are certian things ASC does great...The G.L. is one of those...but out side of that there seem to be several competitors that are now out pacing ASC...Infact we will be moving away from thier people suite in the spring...

Pros

Great at the general ledger and a ton of flexible reporting

Cons

Ugly U.I. which sounds silly but makes it a lot harder to get the average user to engauge with Steep learning curve