PowerDMS Reviews

Pros

I am very happy with the service and the customer support is the best I have ever had. Keep up the good work PowerDMS.

Chris W.

Great platform that has helped and will continue to help our organization improve and become accredited.

It is great for getting out training to employees and more convenient for them. I really like how it puts information at the fingertips of employees no matter where they are.

Alan A.

Cons

The downside is that in order to maximize the tools provided, it takes time.

Jason D.

Lack of IT help for moving files. Inability to print more than 1 page.

Peggy T.

Michael H.

Police Management and Accreditation

Transcript

Aaron: Hi, I'm Aaron and I'm a police chief and I give PowerDMS a five out of five stars. Our agency...

Amazing Customer Service and Support Groups!

To be fair, the con I described only affects 1-2 people within our entire organization and shouldn't be counted as a true con as much as a pet peeve. All in all, PowerDMS is an amazing product. Our organization still hasn't used it to its fullest potential. Policy housing, Training, Archives, Public Facing Documents, etc... PowerDMS really can be used for multiple purposes!

Pros

There are many things about PowerDMS that make it a great product. It's simple and easy to use for the end users. Administrators have more of a learning curve; however, the support groups and Customer Service are fast to respond and AMAZING! PowerDMS allows users to easily search policies both on a desktop and the mobile app. It also allows administrators to quickly locate version histories and add documents/audio/video as proofs for accreditation purposes. In addition, the Training module works great in these pandemic times to allow for remote training.

Cons

Only one. The Session Timeout only allows for two options. 1) Timeout in twenty minutes of activity, or 2) Stay logged in if the window is open. There is no middle ground for PowerDMS Administrators. I can't tell you how many times my session wants to timeout as I am in the middle of loading a proof.

User friendly software to save oodles of paper and time!

Our department is able to eliminate printing copies of every single proof for accreditation. With over 100 standards over a five year period, that's a lot of paper. We have also started using PowerDMS to house many of our training courses, and to track those courses and certificates that officers earn outside of our department, instead of printing everything for employee file folders. It is making it much easier to stay on top of things like CPR training, which expires every 2 years.

Pros

Our favorite uses for PowerDMS are as a document repository and to manage our police department accreditation. As a document repository, it has enabled us to stop printing a huge binder of polices for all new officers. They can read and acknowledge all documents within the system and are able to access them from anywhere via the web. It also streamlines the review process for any forms/general orders...

Cons

For our purposes, we really don't have many dislikes. About the only thing I can think of would be that there's no way to group proofs/attachments for a given standard within an assessment. So if your accreditation period is for five years and you need to submit multiple proofs for each standard for each year, the "attachments" section for a given standard can get pretty cluttered.

Customer Centered Software

The software is constantly developing and one of the best things about PowerDMS is they are ALWAYS looking for feedback. Often new features that they roll out start as an idea recommended by the customer. What it offers as a start up is great, but to see it constantly evolving is even better and ensures that the features will never become dated.

Pros

You can access it just about anywhere additionally as a master admin most problems reported by users can be fixed by a quick click of the button.

Cons

While overall the software is user friendly I do sometimes find some of the functions for the master admin are either missing or not as intuitive as it could be.

I like the program

Pros

The program is okay. I like that people can go in and see the documents that they have and sign for their stuff to show proof. They did look at a document.

Cons

When I go to signature and print off who sign their documents a lot of times it doesn't show that person sign for their stuff, but if I go in that person name it will show they have sign for their documents. It is weird at times

Great system for policy management, workflows, and training documentation

We have been using the programs for quite some time. This is really been a game changer for our department and ensures that we get timely information to all of our employees.

Pros

Easy to use and manage. This is a much needed program to manage policies, reference manuals, and important documents.

Cons

Mobile version needs improvement. I also wish the program would speak with Google calendar so that sign ups would transfer over.

One-stop Shop for Internal Documents

Overall, PowerDMS has been a great tool to keep track of policies, notices and other internal documentation that never had a single home. Finding things is a lot easier than it used to be.

Pros

My favorite part about PowerDMS is how robust its change-tracking capabilities are. Our policies change often, but it's also important to be able to refer back to the policy that was in effect at the time of an incident. Tracking training and certification is a huge help too.

Cons

Probably the learning curve. Super simple for regular users, but on the administration side figuring out how to create workflows and courses took some time.

Best companion software for a solid RMS I've ever used

One word- Amazing. Do not wait.

Pros

PowerDMS is accessible anywhere, at any time, to any user. I can grant access to documents on a public facing website without interacting with IT personnel. I decide what goes public, with a single click. All training and policy review is tracked, and I can see who read what, when. I also use the certificates to set reminders for personnel to complete reports, inspections, and other tasks that recur, without having to remember myself or remind anyone. This is an indispensable tool.

Cons

Nene at all- any limitations are my own and based solely on my rate of learning to use the product.

Great Product

Pros

This software is easy to use and helps with compliance and accountability. I love the ease of collecting electronic signatures from employees, viewing version history, searching the database, and completing approval workflows. The customer service is top notch and they are always willing to listen to customer ideas for product improvement.

Cons

Sometimes users have trouble finding documents - the search feature could be improved.

Customer Service

We have been able to increase transparency, stay more organized, and make more documents available to employees, quickly. The customer service is exceptional.

Pros

PowerDMS is easy to use and has all the features to keep your agency organized. The public facing documents portal has made our lives so much easier.

Cons

Just like with any new system, the integration can be time consuming and tedious, especially if you are going to sync manually. BUT, it is all worth it in the end.

PowerDMS

Pros

Excellent platform when attempting to get information out to your organization

Cons

I think the people who don’t generally work off of a “table of contents” style program may have trouble, there are lots of “levels” when getting deeper into the program

PowerDMS - Success Waiting to Happen!

For our agency, we have 6 facilities across the country that operate under one police department managed out of Washington DC. It is critical that all the facility police departments operate under one method of operations and control. PowerDMS assists our agency in maintaining consistent best practices across the various geographical locations and gives us the mechanism to evaluate and substantiate...

Pros

The system provides all the required standards necessary to maintain accreditation at my finger tips. This eliminates having to got to other links or even maintaining volumes of paper documents searching for specific standards. The functionality of PowerDMS is incredibly easy. Uploading and highlighting documents necessary for each standard is extremely simple and efficient. PowerDMS allow you to search for specific documents using word search and tags that you can attach to each document. For instance, if I needed to find documents pertaining to training, it is a simple matter of typing in "Training" in the search bar and all relevant documents are listed.

Cons

The highlighting feature would be better served if it had line item by line item or word by word, capability. It currently is some what limited to bulk highlighting. Easier access to training videos so refresher information is more readily available for adding users, setting permissions, etc. Setting permissions is always a daunting task and I usually have to call into customer support for assistance. Giving the user the ability to "backup" the data that is in the system with the ability to restore the data would give the user a little piece of mind of continuity.

Great web-based software to manage policies, documents, forms, and training. Free mobile app.

This software got us better organized, especially in the area of our policy manual. Prior to discovering PowerDMS, we used a printed policy manual for each officer. When policies were updated or added, copies had to be printed for every officer and they were responsible to remove the old policy from their manual and replace it with the new copy. Nobody every knew if they had the most current version....

Pros

PowerDMS is a very powerful program that saves time. It is easy to search for and find exactly what you are looking for. I would recommend this to any law enforcement agency looking to better manage their policy manual, forms, and track their training. We even use PowerDMS to conduct training in certain areas. They system can be set up to annually send out a reminder that training is needed in...

Cons

PowerDMS is WAY more efficient than a paper based document control system.

Quicker and way more efficient than the "paper" document control system.

Pros

1. The efficiency. Procedures are getting approved and released quicker than our old (paper document control system). 2. Instead of guessing who's desk the paper ECR is sitting on.. now we can figure out who is slacking and still needs to approve the document by checking out the approval workflow. 3. PowerDMS is very user friendly. 4. When our Sales Reps are traveling they can use the PowerDMS...

Cons

1. When a procedure is released, has all the required approvals and training is required.. associates who have to train to the document can't pull up "Compare to Current Publication." It wouldn't make sense to have that button since the new revision is current but it would be nice to have a "Compare to Last Publication" button. This way the associates would be able to see what was added/revised. I have to manually type in the "Discuss" tab what was changed and sometimes that can take a LONG time. 2. The 20 minute timeout that will log you out if you're away from your computer. I understand why this is in place (for security reasons) but I have received lots of negative feedback on this.

PowerDMS really gets you organized!

The benefits gained through using PowerDMS is the ability to store all training documents in one place... no more digging through files to find requested documents. It is also easy to track who has attended training and who hasn't. PowerDMS is great for policy sign-off and being able to see who has sign-off on their policies and when for in-house and litigation purposes. Our agency also uses this system for accreditation tracking and training purposes. Another benefit is the ability to create our own online training courses for employees to complete at their convenience, freeing up time for hands-on training.

Pros

Ability to track policy sign-offs, training completion, and create reports. I also like being able to upload all of our training documents to each employees' files for ease of finding later. PowerDMS is great for creating training courses, tests & surveys.

Cons

The inability to add additional tabs for personalized purposes (such as a transfer history tab). The inability to assign rights for who can view the files tab, where we store employees' training documents. The inability for users to have a print button to print their own training certificates (options: PDF, Excel, Word and they don't look great). Currently, a supervisor can print his employees' certificate history, but not their own. The inability for supervisors to be able to enroll their employees in training. Employees must enroll themselves, which doesn't go over well with our agency.

Game Changer

Using the PowerDMS system has made communication about policy changes so much more efficient. Now, instead of passing information through layers of management, we can connect directly with our employees. It also has allowed us to distribute documents that are unique to certain groups of employees - all with no paper filing to personnel files! This system has been very well received in our company. It gives managers and employees the ability to keep up to date & find information easily.

Pros

The user interface is simple and easy to understand; the system allows for multi-state document management (state specific policies/notices can be distributed easily); a paperless solution means no filing; it allows for easy collaboration on policy changes; and the ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC customer support!!

Cons

I wish there were clearer distinctions for document security between front line managers/admin users and policy developers. In order to run reports on whether an employee has signed a currently published version of a policy, your security also allows you the ability to see current draft versions.

We've been a customer for 7 years and have the entire suite. This has been the best purchase for us.

PowerDMS is the ultimate document management system. It holds your policies (to include modifications and revisions), training records, surveys, courses, and tests. The software is user-friendly and allows myself and coworkers to manage our department's records on a daily basis.

Pros

The software is user-friendly and it's easy to manage. Our most favorite feature isn't necessarily the software, it's the customer service. If I or a coworker has questions our questions are answered promptly with a professional and polite response. We are never "rushed" along and do not feel like a number. I will also tell you in my experience that the development team actually listens and implements your department's ideas. PowerDMS is constantly improving the software features to accommodate the customer's needs and in today's world, this level of service is rare. We look forward to working with PowerDMS for many years to come.

Cons

The training module works great but we would like to see more development in this area. We would eventually like to move from the current system we are using and make PowerDMS our primary management system for training records.

Simplified and improved document distribution and approval, being used for training also.

Elimination of paper in the distribution and acknowledment of policies and training documents. Shortened time required for processes and tracks all responses in an accessible database capable of producing various reports: by policy, user, group, etc.

Pros

Records kept of all acknowledgements, policies archived, various reports available by user, group, etc. Eliminated need for duplicate manuals. The ability to access policies and work on accreditation when out of the office is a huge help in accomplishing various tasks such as loading policies and proofs. The same applies to training documents - the signature pages are great proofs for compliance with CALEA standards. I helped select set up this product in my prior position with the Schaumburg Police Department.

Cons

Some features take a longer learning curve (course creation) and the instructions often omit necessary steps required to commplete a process. Seems like the system was built from the bottom up - for example, when paging through "Tasks" in the Accreditation Module you have to move from page to page then scroll up from the bottom to stay in sequence.

PowerDMS Review

PowerDMS has allowed us to quickly disseminate new or updated polices to our employees. No longer do we have to hand carry paper documents to individuals and obtain written receipts for them. We also have the ability to test on subject matter of individual polices thus ensuring the document is understood.

Pros

We use PowerDMS to provide the necessary documentation for our CALEA accreditation which has eliminated the need for almost 500 paper files. The product is extremely easy to use, once you have a few basics down, and has a strong search function. PowerDMS also had an Android and Apple mobile app which allows users to access the product from their mobile devices.

Cons

While not really a drawback, I would like to see the search function to be more “Google like” utilizing functions like quotes around keywords to force an exact match. This would reduce the number of false positives and speed up searches. It would also be helpful to see increased functionally in highlighting. The implementation of layers in highlighting and the ability to highlight from a particular point in a sentence would be great improvements.

Streamling and Enhancing Your Filing System

Power DMS was initially purchased to manage our police deparment's rules and regulations, policies and procedures, standing orders, etc. However, our department has expanded our data base to help staff in the field to perform their job with greater easy. Maps and floor plans of local businesses were uploaded to the system for officers to have immediate review. Street listings, training documents, regional broadcasts, and other documents are easily assessable with the Power DMS system. As the training supervisor and accreditation manager, lesson plans and training records are uploaded as well as equipment inspections and maintenance logs. These documents are so valuable for the accreditation process. Power DMS has become a neccessary need for this accreditation manager.

Pros

The product is easy to access, user friendly, and flexible.

Cons

I have experienced the system working very slow in the late evening hours. I assume that Power DMS is working or changing the software system to account for the lag. Overall, the software system does work efficiently most of the time.

Couldn't do my job without PowerDMS

I am the only person managing CALEA accreditation, training and policy release. Without the tools and functionality of PowerDMS there is no way I could do my job without assistance. We even use the tests for new employees and some of our job promotions. The archive features have allowed me to assist internal affairs with documentation of when a particular version of policy was signed off by the employee....

Pros

Multiple functions covering all the aspects and components needed to manage accreditation.

Cons

Doesn't have a rolling due date window for when new employees start. They start have over 100 overdue documents.

PowerDMS is a Document Managers best friend!

The Novi Police Department began using PowerDMS in July of 2014 to help us through our accreditation process with CALEA. Since that time, we have experienced several benefits from the system, including having all of our agency policies, forms and documents in an electronic format for all agency employees. The reporting tool in PowerDMS allows us to hold our employees accountable for the policies that...

Pros

Very user friendly and allows us to make a lot of our document management paper-free!

Cons

Nothing

PowerDMS has streamlined our entire policy and procedure process.

The single biggest benefit is that all of our policies are in a centralized location. No more paper binders, and no more having to track down every old copy when a revision needs to be made.

Pros

All of the program features are very easy to use. The best thing I can say about DMS is that it works exactly the way you would expect it to. The features are all very straightforward. Honestly, most experienced computer users don't require any specialized training in DMS. Even our directors who are less tech savvy catch on with DMS fairly quickly.

Cons

The only complaint I have heard routinely from my directors is that the file size limits can make it difficult to utilize DMS for training since videos, and even some PowerPoint presentations are too large to upload. They can be hosted in a different location and linked to the trainings in DMS, but this adds complications. The more complicated a training is, the less likely our employees are to complete it.

Makes Life Easier

This software makes my job easier. I am able to track things like certifications that are required by law. I am able to make sure we get the training we need and are required to have. Then I am able to prove these things when it comes assessment time.

Pros

It is super user friendly. and if you do not understand or are having difficulties you can check out a webinar or reach out to the super responsive and friendly customer service people. It is great that just because a section of the software is titled for one use this does not mean you cant adjust it to make it work for you in another way. They are constantly listening to what the needs of the variety of customers are and are evolving daily to meet those needs as best they can.

Cons

The least part that I like is the limited mobile use. But again, this is something that is being worked on and new features are coming out on the app on a regular basis. I just want it all NOW :)

This software has been GOD SENT as I'm able to training, testing and other activities

This software has been most beneficial to not only me but to the other employees as they are able to use it while during their professional and personal time.

Pros

What I like most about this software is the "GO GREEN" concept and not having to search the entire department for things. Before encouraging the company to purchase it, it was a nightmare locating employee files, training materials, records, attempting to get employees assembled in one location on one particular day for training. Investing in this software was a great decision as I'm able to better manage employee files, training materials, records, and no longer have worry about assembling employees on a particular date for training.

Cons

Currently I the pros are outweighing the cons, as right now I don't have any to share. I've used this software for 8 years now and it has worked wonders.

PowerDMS streamlines processes, reduces paperwork and stress in project management.

Simple and straightforward project management. We're always thinking of new ways to use and apply PowerDMS in our organization.

Pros

The features in PowerDMS are well-planned. There is very little extraneous features, and the features that are provided are to a purpose and specific functionality. Learning about those features is incredibly simple, thanks to an excellent on-line support/help system with videos and step-by-step instructions, complemented by agent assistance just a click away with their very handy chat function. I really cannot rave enough about their customer service.

Cons

The hardest thing I've encountered with PowerDMS is convincing colleagues to let go of their death grasp on various paper documents and files and shift to this program to manage project/document creation, review and implementation from beginning to end. With PowerDMS we have an extraordinary tool, but we're too attached to doing things the way we've always done them to fully embrace the ease and convenience PowerDMS brings to the table.