Backlog Reviews

Backlog

Online project management tool for developers

4.5/5 (62 reviews)

Pros
  • It is wonderful the system of assignment of tasks and notifications that allows to always take the project to the day and with the priorities to solve.Alex R.Read the full review
  • It is a designer and programmer friendly tool where it's easy to collaborate without any noticeable hassles.Verified ReviewerRead the full review
  • I liked the inclusion of the Wiki as well, and I like the tiered subscription model they use, making it easy to find a level of feature availability that suites your team's needs.Verified ReviewerRead the full review
Cons
  • When we send emails to Backlog, embedded pictures are lost.Verified ReviewerRead the full review
  • I find it frustrating to changing Status only after creating the task.Cabin Y.Read the full review
  • The only thing that I would say that's negative is that it runs slow at times but I believe that's a result of our environment.Thomas B.Read the full review
recommended this to a friend or a colleague
Ivan Borek

backlog.com better than many "Goliath" systems

Reviewed 2018-10-30

We use backlog.com as overall tracking and project management tool for our projects, support tasks and maintenance activities that we provide to our customer. We selected backlog.com after evaluating many other tools (like Jira, Pivotal tracker etc.) and backlog.com became the clear winner. Why ? Because this tool combine together the best features of all other tool while still being neat and straightforward. Backlog.com has been proving it at our daily use for 1 year approximately. Well done. Thank you.

Pros
neat design supporting easy of use all necessary functions available on-click excellent for agile approach clear and easy administration of projects, people etc. integration with email and MS Excel (exports) subtasking no-time to get started and leverage the tool by users fast and responsive design standalone application for iOS

Cons
nothing essential maybe more storage space included in plans better numbering of subtasks (to include number of parent issue)

Akhilesh Melmani

Backlog has your back!

Reviewed 2020-05-02

The product is clutter-free and any features that are added have simple use cases and helps in easier implementation. A good user interface to avoid daily hassles involved in bug/defect reporting daily as a tester.

Pros
Bug identification and creation have never been simpler. Its unique way to describe and categorize the issue at hand is well sorted and makes for a clean and understandable user experience.

Cons
There might be issues that are created and assigned by parts and during bug/defect identification and creation, assigning these bugs should have an option to assign multiple members instead of single-member.

Đặng Hồng

Backlog need to be changed and improved

Reviewed 2019-02-11

Sorry but the truth is inconvenience for me. I hope Backlog can do more for me and my project. I can't have the statistics I want at Home, I can't see overall my project ... I Hope Backlog can be developed and help us more in the future.

Pros
The color of issue can be changed, I can customize the characteristics of issue for each project.

Cons
when I filter all issue of project , it shows parents issue and sub-issue. If I click on the arrow, which is head of parent issue, Backlog shows all of sub-issue of that parent issue, which are showed before. So many issues are showed twice. It can make me confused. I think Backlog shoud list parent issue and issue has no parent issue. About issue has parent issue, you can hide and when user click on the arrow, it can be showed. Thank you

Likelihood to recommend: 3/10

Mathieu LABAUNE

Great tool for product dev

Reviewed 2020-05-08

Issues are now well qualified, documented, categorized, with priority, easy to focus on what needs to be done

Pros
This is a great tool to organize dev, see how it goes, what needs to be done, who's in charge of what. It really helped me to make my projects live and faster than before using this great tool

Cons
I wish the mobile app would have been more developed to have the same features as on web version

Miguel Foncerrada

Well designed and extremely easy to use

Reviewed 2018-12-18

Tracking software issues across a dispersed organization. Worked great!

Pros
Intuitive software that you can use without instruction. Upon sign-on immediately see what has recently happened and easy to click on items needing your attention. Great way to organize and collaborate on issues with a diverse team in different locations.

Cons
Not much I didn't like. Perhaps the ability to add a custom field or a more fine-grained priority field (Low, Medium, High) so as to make sure people are looking next at the most pressing issue.

John Miller

Works exactly the way you would expect

Reviewed 2020-05-20

Pros
Simplicity, configurability and easy of use.

Cons
Would have liked a little more configurability and the printing optiosn are kind of limited.

surendra puli

Great Software

Reviewed 2020-05-05

It is very user friendly and easy to use

Pros
I have been using backlog from the past 2+ years. It is very easy to use. It has many features like wiki, store file, gantt chart... Recently they introduced the Board which is very useful to see all the tasks in one place.

Cons
There is nothing i am disliking from this software

Cabin Yim

Easy and Very Useful tool to manage projects

Reviewed 2020-04-28

In general, gives a very good overview to the team and the project manager on who is doing what exactly. Following up on tasks that have not been completed is easy and is a very transparent way to work.

Pros
Can easily separate tasks through projects and milestones. I especially love the Gantt Chart and how each it is to use. Overall just great to see overall picture of how the project is doing and who is doing what.

Cons
I find it frustrating to changing Status only after creating the task. I wish I could change when I create a task if it was already Closed, Resolves or In Progress instead of always clicking each task and changing it manually. Feel very time consuming.

Free but functional

Reviewed 2019-08-20

I'm very happy working with Backlog tool. Email notifications are insanely useful for tracking changes.

Pros
It works well for small projects; it covers (probably) all features you may want to use and it is free for a team like my own.

Cons
No Cons, honestly. For this price it is impossible to find any ;)

Eric Piette

A great app for any work with an active team

Reviewed 2019-07-17

We work in a research project for Artificial Intelligence in Games.

Pros
I really like the fact, this is easy to add some issues and to follow any kind of problem. This is also really easy to assign an issue to someone.

Cons
The different kinds of priority are not enough, that will be better to let the user define its own priority (high, normal and low are not enough sometimes to make the difference)

Jim Ho

Great Collaboration Software

Reviewed 2019-08-14

UI is easy to use. Issues are clearly tracked. Robust attachment management. Email notifications are effective and clear. Icon personalization is a nice touch.

Pros
I'm solving problems related to software design and development. We work across different time zones, and BackLog is great for our international projects. In conjunction with realtime collaborative software, we are able to use BackLog for high-level project organization.

Cons
Working with the smartphone app is not as useful since the browser version is so well designed. Also unwieldy at times when flipping between different projects. No realtime chat. Wish there were more markdown options for formatting.

hai ngo

Some Uncomfortable

Reviewed 2018-12-17

Very good expect 2 thinks above

Pros
- Grantt chart and burndown chart..

Cons
1. It's "Copy custom Fields From other Project" in [Project Settings] -> [Custom Field] => I dont know why "(※ Relation with issue types not copied)". It's very uncomfortable for me and someone manage like me. => Our Company have Standard Custom Field for all Project about 100 Custom FIled and some Custom Issue Type. When I Open the new Project , I just wanna Copy all Custom Field and Issue Type from Old Project. But not like this, just copy Customfield and Availabes all Issue types. After that, I must to click 1 by 1 to fix, or delete. It's take many time from me. how long i will spent for fix that with 100 custom Field and Custom Issue Type???? Please think about that. and fix this I just want to Copy all Custom Field + Issue Type from the old Project to New Project. and button delete all Custom Field 2. It's Add a Group of member to Old/Archive Project. => It's very hard. I have alrd 100+ project archive and click 1 by 1 to add a Group member. so bad.really bad. Please add a Button add a Group of member to all Project or atleast let our choose list project to add. Thank you

Daniel Olson

At first Backlog seems like a bit much but now our team could not function with out it.

Reviewed 2017-08-31

Streamlined workflow and the ability to see who's accountable for what and where projects are. It's help us stay on track and keep projects under budget and on time.

Pros
It's task oriented without feeling like a burden. Other project management tools I've used feel like glorified lists but Backlog offers a lot more. Getting your team on board is difficult but the flow of using Backlog makes sense and came natural for us. We work 100% remotely so if it didn't work we would know right away something wasn't right.

Cons
For us, one of the strengths about Backlog is the integrations with Typetalk. We use both but I do with they were more tightly integrated. For example, simply using at mentions on Backlog. Messages from Backlog issues go to Typetalk and we use @username to create an alert on Typetalk at the same time. This might be particular to our team but it's really helpful. When I type (@) on a Backlog comment or description I want the list of usernames to show.

Anonymous

Excellent ,easy to adopt,easy to use

Reviewed 2019-02-11

We are using the Backlog tool on 2 projects with a total of c. 30 people involved. For one of those, it is used solely as an issue tracker. For the other one, it is used as the main tool for managing the project( keeping the track of backlog items, version, milestones, question, improvements....) Wiki is widely used for changelogs and manuals. Project documentation is stored in the Files section. The whole team ( especially the upper management) is really satisfied with the tool and we will keep on using it for upcoming projects. It also has gained some traction in the entire company so other teams are using it with the same results and satisfaction.

Pros
- easy to use - Wiki functionality - ability to add a custom category and issue types - dashboard and recent activity - search functionality works excellent - support team

Cons
- lacks the ability to add custom status for issues (starter plan) - mail notifications are sent to the assignees only, but not the one notified in the notify field

Deny Priyana

Common software in Japanese Company

Reviewed 2019-02-11

I use this software maintaining the offshore project from Japan, this software mostly good, never hang or shut down, because this software conduct the maintenance after the office work. Overall this software is good for maintaining the projects. Thank you

Pros
1. We can attach project file into the software. 2. We can track by the project category.

Cons
The interface not so attractive, that's why Japanese people mostly like this software.

Miguel Gonzalez

Feature rich project management program

Reviewed 2018-04-15
Review Source: Software Advice

The features I found in Backlog are often those you only get to experience in the higher-end products. Backlog provides multiple subscription levels that provide various features based on your organization's needs. The features are distributed among these subscriptions in a smart way, allowing you move between these levels as needed. It has an intuitive design and is quite easy to use.

Pros
Backlog offers 5 account levels, including a free version that provides plenty of its features to take it for a spin. Feature rich project management tool that does more than just manage stories and tasks at a project level. Competitive pricing includes issue tracking, code review, collaboration, and much more. One of exceptional benefit that exceeded my expectation was the inclusion of a Wiki, something that most project management tools do not include or charge extra for access. This is a big plus for development teams. Track milestones, store files, and much more from an affordable tool that does not nickle and dime you. Easy to setup and use. Great dashboard for an overall view of your projects... very functional.

Cons
Cannot really test out some of the features in the higher subscriptions unless you upgrade. But maybe worth the shot, as their price levels are not all that bad. As with any tool that has increased features and capabilities, there is a bit of a learning curve when compared to other products.

Nguyen Nguyen

Good services with the best price

Reviewed 2018-09-25

I did use backlog in 4 years, and It good for my company with more than 120 users, and run 30 project at the same time

Pros

Cons
need add more than status check (current status: open, In progress, Resolved, Closed) need add more (Review)

Anonymous

Easy to learn quality program

Used daily for free trial
Reviewed 2019-08-25

Overall excellent app for a great cost that your team has control over. You get to pay for the level your team will use without the burden of overwhelming excess features. Definitely recommend.

Pros
I've been trying out a lot of project management software lately and I think Backlog is a strong contender among them. It's quick to learn and the UI is sleek and appealing. It has all the essential features for project tracking and coordination. I liked the inclusion of the Wiki as well, and I like the tiered subscription model they use, making it easy to find a level of feature availability that suites your team's needs.

Cons
There isn't anything major that stands out. There's room for more options and features (more specificity in the prioritization area, maybe) but it has all the essentials from what I can tell.

Vivek Ojha

My experience for backlog is awesome.

Reviewed 2017-09-01

Pros
It has given a great platform to collaborate for work. We manage many of our projects on backlog which makes us more efficient and we can focus on more work rather than hitch-ups due to processes and management. Great tool.

Cons
Yes, if you talk about cons I do feel there is need for internal documents creation like Excel ppt etc. If I want to make some data or have issue which requires tabular form, I don't have much options than just to create an excel and attach it's links.

Bhadra Anantadhira

Good Experience

Reviewed 2019-04-15

After using Backlog, each project management has been improved: better time management, better updates in team during project progress

Pros
- project management based - easy to use and create project/issue

Cons
- some part confusing in terms of UI - people who was notified at first time issue created, wont be automatically notified if not mention in notify people when make comment/update

Likelihood to recommend: 7/10

Sandeep Gandhasiri

we are love to use backlog

Reviewed 2018-09-28

Pros
I liked the way of bugs maintenance and having simple ui to understand by the non technical persons as well.

Cons
mail structure. In mail try to add bug status in front. (closed or added). In mobile push notifications we are unable to differentiate whether it is added or closed.

Review for Backlog

Reviewed 2018-10-03

Pros
It's easy to manage task on Gantt Chart. I can see status, edit start time and end time,...without having to refresh the page.

Cons
When i review pull request on Backlog, i can't see the number of deleted line, added line and total changed line. Github has this feature.

Likelihood to recommend: 7/10

Hoàng Ngọc Quý

Work smarter with Backlog!!!

Reviewed 2018-10-23

Friendly, easy to use, easy to manage, work more efficiently. However, we need to notify the user (via email) when the server has problems to be able to organize the work

Pros
Unlike the Github, GitLab ..., Backlog allows me to have an overview when the project has multiple modules, each module needs a separate git repos.

Cons
I have trouble verifying who committed the code when viewed on the git tool of the Backlog

Peter Miller

A great alternative ticketing system for teams

Reviewed 2018-03-26

Pros
We're using the basic plan and it provides us a great deal of flexibility for our teams. It allows us to keep track of items really easily and submit via email, etc is a breeze. Our users are finding it very easy to get into the system and are seeing quicker responses to their queries. Features of the system are great and what you would see in more expensive alternatives. Pricing per company is excellent compared to per seat as well.

Cons
Make sure you setup on the right plan to start your trial as you cannot change while you are on trial which is somewhat challenging if you setup a stack of work prior to your change. Apart from this support has been great when needed and the service runs quickly and smoothly.

Anonymous

This service is very good.

Reviewed 2018-09-25

We use Backlog to track all the work in the department. All the documentation is stored in Backlog. It's very convienant.

Pros
The software works well. It makes it easy to track what everyone in the group is accomplishing each day.

Cons
When we send emails to Backlog, embedded pictures are lost. We work around it but it would be better if it just worked. Additional reporting would be nice to have.