All categories

Learn why GetApp is free

Function Point Reviews

Pros

We tested other project management software and finally decided for Function Point because it is easy to use, it has many advanced features that are easy to learn and the customer service is superb.

Cesar B.

Read the full review
It's a great way for all parts of the business to be on the same page, from finance to accounts to creative.

Sunny W.

Read the full review
I haven't used any other tracking software so it's difficult to compare. I like the reliability of the platform though, as it never seems to be down which is important.

Blaine Y.

Read the full review

Cons

Very difficult to use for projects that have open-ended costs and fixed costs combined--designed for one or the other, not both. Quickbooks integration has been very time-consuming and frustrating.

DeLona B.

Read the full review
I can't delete a time in my timesheet when I entered the wrong job number. Do not have the option to change info from a previous week when I realize that I made a mistake, on the job service.

Terry S.

Can Be Challenging to Collaborate with Co-Workers

Function Point is an essential part of our agency workflow forming the backbone of our process.

Pros

Depth of information and availability of data. The amount of information can be intimidating to a new user, but with experience, the ability to not simply keep track of projects, but to be able to monitor the health of your agency is essential. Function Point's robust reporting tools make that possible.

Cons

Lack of ability to customize and support workflow options that are outside of established understandings within the system. Additional client portal functionality for example.

We appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts with us, Nathan. We're so glad to hear how FP is helping monitor the health of Zipie!

Not the most "functional" project management software but definitely keeps us organized

Pros

The company pages in Function Point provide us with all the information we need because we're able to customize them to our needs. We can include the client information, but we also have team information so one page tells everyone who is involved with that client's projects. The customizable dashboard also allows each person to view things that they feel are important to them.

Cons

I find Function Point to not be as "functional" as its name might suggest. It is often laggy when you click on links. Getting to pages that you want to be on takes many clicks instead of just one (for example, it seems strange to me that clicking on the name of a "schedule" within a company takes me to a jumbled list of tasks rather than the actual schedule page where I can see things laid out in order)....

Thanks for your feedback, Darla. Your Customer Success Manager will be following up with you on a couple items you mentioned. Keep an eye on your inbox!

Lots of pros, but also lots of cons

It works for us, but the sun doesn't rise and set with it. Function Point lets us log a lot of information and communicate tasks with people who are out of the office well. But there is a steep learning curve, we've never been super happy with the billing integration for retainer clients, and the reporting is subpar. It works great for people who exclusively work on a project-by-project basis. But their "Retainer" integration leaves a lot wanting. It works, but it's not seamless.

Pros

It's really great for projects. The structure for setting up estimates and Jobs and Tasks works great when you're focusing on individual projects. And creating Tasks are straightforward, we love that you can pass tasks back-and-forth between team members. We can pretty easily communicate new tasks and jobs/projects to people who don't work in the office. Between Job description, Tasks descriptions and comments on tasks, Notes and comments on notes, and the ability to upload files, there's a lot of power there. Nice to have a track record of things. And when you're billing for an individual project, the billing function is great.

Cons

Billing for retainer clients is not simple or easy. Integrated billing was a big reason we went with Function Point, and it works great for individual projects, but I think the retainer function was added on as an after thought, and is very clunky. To the point that we're thinking about only using the FP billing feature for projects, and just billing Retainer clients straight out of QuickBooks. Also,...

We appreciate you sharing your thoughts with us, Jessica. Keep an eye on your inbox for a message from your Customer Success Manager.

Cures the timesheet entry drudgery.

I'm not particularly good about keeping my timesheets current, but Function Point makes it a lot easier to keep on track.

Pros

I like that I can access it anywhere and on whatever device I happen to be using. I rely on the weekly timesheet for most of my time entry stuff. The TAB through interface makes it really simple.

Cons

My biggest complaint is that when you make a mistake or key something that needs clarification, a dialog box requiring an action comes up nowhere near where you're currently working on the page. And you have to click the OK button to close it. It won't accept the return key or tab key. Say you're looking up a job. You type in a few letters, hit TAB and a list comes up. That list is at the bottom of the page and you have to mouse over your selection and click it in order to move on. Even if you don't see the job you're looking for in the list, you still have to mouse over and click OK. It's a small thing, but compared to all the other software I use each day, this is a pretty clunky issue for me.

Thanks for sharing your feedback with us! We'd love to understand more about this behaviour you're experiencing in your searches. You can reach us at heretohelp@functionpoint.com

Overall, the software provides the functions our agency needs on a daily basis.

Pros

I like that I have all our client's estimates and jobs at my fingertips when I need them, in a organized manner. I can see the overall health of a project at any given time - which helps us stay on budget. I also like being able to move employee's time around to different projects in an efficient manner - just a couple of simple clicks and the time is moved to the right place!

Cons

I wish there was a way to generate a master budget for all estimates related to a specific project. Our clients are always wanting a grand total for what a project, that has multiple jobs involved, is going to cost them. We end of up having to figure this separately and if would save time and resources if this type of feature was added.

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts with us. We've passed along your feedback to our Product Team for consideration. We appreciate you letting us know how we can make Function Point better for you and your team!

Clear and easy to use

Overall great experience so far, collaboration is easy and keeping track of spending / job progress / billable hours is simpler than other platforms.

Pros

That the layout is clear and easy to navigate. It makes it easy to assign tasks and collaborate with the rest of the team. Also love how easy it is to track time using the Weekly View timesheet window.

Cons

The financials page can be confusing when flipping between Estimates, Financials and Invoices (numbers repeat themselves, and line items are used a bit differently on each page).

Hello, Thanks a lot for taking out the time to review Function Point. We really appreciate your feedback and are glad to hear that it is helping you track your time easily. Please do not hesitate to reach out to your CSM in case you need help with understanding the financials page. In the meantime I've provided links to our help documentation which has useful information on financials. https://support.functionpoint.com/hc/en-us/articles/115012827827-The-Job-Financials-Tab- https://support.functionpoint.com/hc/en-us/articles/115012845567-Project-Financials- Best, Saurabh Product Manager Function Point

In terms of project management systems for agencies, it's pretty good.

Pros

Handles everything in one system -- setting up clients, creating jobs, allocating time to projects and tracking due dates. It's also nice that it allows customization and can handle POs and invoices.

Cons

This isn't a great CMS and definitely doesn't include the features that a sales team desires. It also won't allow you to see the difference between hours budgeted and hours actually spent as you have to reconcile the "estimated" and "actual" hours spent.

Hello, Thanks a lot for your feedback. We are glad to hear that Function Point is helping you manage your entire workflow in one place. You can definitely look for the difference in estimated and actual hours with the following steps. 1. Click on Find Jobs 2. Click on manage columns 3. Select checkboxes for estimated, actual hours and variance(hrs) 4. Save Columns We also have a new...

Function Point is a great productivity tool that offers all the features that we were looking for.

Pros

The user interface is great and so easy that our creatives actually use it to track their time, while offering needed information for account services and project management AND it also back ends into Quickbooks to make AP and AR easier.

Cons

It would be great if the software had a more robust time tracking capability so that I can see more easily at a glance PTO, overtime, etc. That way, I won't have to invest in another software to track employee time.

Thanks for taking the time to leave us your thoughts, Robin! We've added your feedback about time tracking to be considered by our Product team.

Function point takes the messiness of time tracking out of the equation

Being able to track time and stay up to dat with my workload, and when I am asked what I spent my time doing, my boss can easily pull up my time sheets and see what was done

Pros

The ease of which I can track time and be aware of deadlines and time estimates. Function point helps me stay ahead of my workload

Cons

You have to refresh your browser whenever a new task is added, requiring you to stop your time and copy and paste the time

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us, Walter. Your Customer Success Manager will be reaching out to clarify why you're needing to refresh your browser when a task is added. Keep an eye on your inbox!

A good place to start

It has helped us to track and manage projects profitablility because we have a way of analyzing prior project sand charging appropriately for similar kinds of work.

Pros

Once we got used to the system it is very easy to use, and to generate reports.

Cons

Would like a more detailed way of managing projects

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us!

I use Function Point every day for project management and organizational purposes.

Function Point has helped to consolidate and digitize a lot of the things that would have been done either in physical, print form (such as recording time worked on each task), or in a less efficient way (such as creating estimates).

Pros

What I like most about Function Point is the ease of creating estimates and saving templates. It allows us to provide very in-depth estimates to clients and prospects, which we have received compliments on. Very rarely do I see estimates that are as detailed and clear as the ones that Function Point allows us to create with relative ease. Likewise, the simplicity of creating an Invoice from an existing Job also streamlines the process tremendously. We also make extensive use of the Notes function to create easy-to-follow instructions for our artists to follow. The fact that these are then saved automatically with the Job and are easy to go back to and reference is very helpful. It makes organizing them and trying to keep track of them much less of a hassle.

Cons

One thing I don't like about the Function Point software is that, when a Job is "closed," any tasks that remain un-completed just sit on the Tasks/To Dos page on the homepage of FP. Sometimes we find that tasks we initially think will be required are not needed in the end. Once the Job is closed, I'd much prefer that the "left over" tasks automatically get marked in some way as to indicate that they were not completed, while still being removed from the Tasks/To Dos list. My list is constantly cluttered by Tasks for Jobs that were finished weeks ago, but which I know nothing about because I was never required to actually complete that task. It ends up that someone has to manually close out every individual task that is not needed. Feels like a waste of time.

Hi James, thanks for sharing your thoughts with us. We've passed your great feedback to our Product Team for consideration!

Function Point is giving us a better understanding of our company as a whole.

It was a company goal to find a project management software that would connect many different aspects of our business. From graphic design, to digital and award winning event marketing to publishing our own community magazine - all aspects of our company, from designers to account executives to our accountant were using separate systems. Not to mention most of us were project managing out of email....

Pros

The speed and interface. Ability to track time simply, pull reports in multiple ways.

Cons

The accountant integration was a bit of a challenge.

Hi Priscilla - thanks for taking the time to write a review. I'm so glad to hear that Function Point is really helping keep your whole team on the same page. Please reach out if there's ever anything we can do for you.

FP Review

Mostly we are utilizing FP for time tracking and project budgeting. The other tools aren't comprehensive enough for us to bring everything into FP - we use Smartsheet for scheduling (because it's a big-picture thing - not just about individuals hours), and currently customize a resourcing document that we export out of FP but it takes so much time to noodle, it's not really efficient. Generally speaking, it works well and it's easy to access. We understand one tool can't solve all problems - but if you could get resourcing reports to be more useful that would be huge.

Pros

Pretty clean interface. Like that it's cloud-based so it's easy to do my job on the go. Customer support is good.

Cons

The resourcing view is really difficult to use. I'd love if it there was a clean way to see someone's availability utilizing the full project timeline and hours assigned. Currently it pulls in vacation hours into that view (which is not helpful) and does not extend long enough to forecast team availability. Improving this would be a huge help and make using FP much more useful. Currently it's being used as a budget and time tracking tool. The scheduler is not that useful - the view is a little convoluted so we don't use it much to schedule projects - we use Smartsheet for that for it's simplicity. If you could improve your schedule view and process that would also be useful.

We've passed on your feedback to our Product team for consideration, Lauren. Thanks for sharing your feedback with us!

Great Software and Outstanding Customer Service!

We are a small (10-20 employees) creative marketing agency and Function Point has been a great tool for our business. I particularly like the schedule feature which we use to develop "plans of attack" for prospective work that can easily be converted into estimates and then executed as tasks. Schedules can easily be duplicated and adjusted for repeat projects and they help keep our team on the same...

Pros

Schedules

Cons

The smartphone app, wish it had more functionality.

Drew - thanks so much for sharing your thoughts here, I really appreciate it. Please continue to bring forward ideas as to how we can make fp. better for United Creations - we're always ready to listen.

Overall we've been very happy with FP and are really enjoying all of the functionalities it offers.

Much happiness.

Pros

The connect to email feature is fabulous, as is the Campaign view especially for viewing financials across several jobs at once. Just being cloud-based is a huge plus too. Very customizable which has made our team's immersion great, support is fantastic and very fast. We all love it!

Cons

Sometimes the organization is a little irritating, ie if I click into a job's Notes from the icon on the Summary page (as opposed to the Notes "tab") I'm now in an overall Notes space and no longer under the umbrella of the job I started from. Even with the breadcrumbs, I find I have to do a fair amount of backward navigating to access info I'd already navigated to. If I click into a task, to get back...

Hi Carrie, thanks so much for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us. Please continue to reach out with your feedback - we're always ready to listen for how we can make Function Point better!

Function Point Creative Agency software: great help for workflow

We have been using Function Point for two years. Overall, it has been a terrific upgrade for us. Our time keeping and job management are all in one place, whereas previously we managed those two things separately. Onboarding was very smooth and easy. We felt we had adequate training and that the software is very intuitive for new users. I like that it is customizable for each user and that different...

Pros

Time tracking, Job Management from Estimate to Invoicing.

Cons

Lack of visual interest (i.e. would be great to look for like Trello cards /boards at a glance to see all project status at once) - also would be nice to have a thumbnail of the project (i.e. of the ad, brochure, etc.) next to the job name on all dashboards.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts here, Amy. Please reach out if you have any other suggestions for how we can make fp. even better!

Function Point helps us Function better!

We have been using Function Point for a little over a year now and we are very happy with it overall. It definitely takes some time to learn the product... as with any software, you have to learn the different functionalities. However, the main commitment is figuring out what works best for you and your company. What one company might love, another might find pointless, but that is the great thing...

Pros

Cons

Their customer support team is really great and always willing to help you figure out how to accomplish your ideas. They also have a great suggestion board where users give ideas on how to make the product better. They have used a couple of mines already! It's a great community that works together to continuously improve and perfect the program.

Hi Megan, thanks so much for your kind words here. Please continue to reach out whenever you have ideas or suggestions. We're always ready to listen.

Amazing team, amazing platform!

Overall our experience & journey with FP has been amazing! Being based in Australia we were slightly concerned about the on-boarding/training process happening remotely, but the team at FP, especially Marissa, made it seamless. We felt so well equipped to deal with using the platform ourselves in day to day agency life almost instantaneously. The platform itself is very intuitive & allows us to...

Pros

The organisation and workflow process. Quoting & invoicing is now so simple.

Cons

We have a couple of clients that like to attribute multiple POs to the one job, i.e. multiple estimates to what is ultimately the one job. We've had to create projects for all of these but it then becomes confusing which job number we're referring to. It would be ideal if you could have multiple active estimates for the one job.

Madeline - thank you for your kind words here. I'm so glad you found that the onboarding program properly prepared your team to use fp. daily. If you ever have other suggestions for how we can make fp. even better for Jam&Co, please reach out!

Pros

- It's fairly intuitive - It does keep all information on a job together, in one place - The customizable dashboards based on how you will use it in your role - Timesheets are straight foward and easy to use (makes for easier tracking on a job) - Dashboards on where a project is sitting financially are nice

Cons

- The amount of clicks it takes to get to certain areas (ie - hours assigned on a job or getting into an estimate when you don't recall the job number) - Scheduling could be so much better! Incorporating a scheduling system similar to SmartSheet would be amazing - Tasks could also improve. I'd like to see the ability to add sub-tasks or the ability to cc another person on tasks (think Trello) - Google Doc integration would be AMAZING! While function point is a great place to store things, the lack of formatting and the the chance of losing all your work by going 'back' in a browser is limiting.

Hi Amanda, we appreciate you sharing your feedback with us. We're always working on making FP better, so keep an eye out for some upcoming releases.

An Integral Part of Our Agency Operations

Before choosing Function Point, we researched MANY different options and weighed out the pros and cons of each. We chose FP because of its versatility, price point, and customer service. Especially in the beginning, we submitted a lot of "wish list" items, almost ALL of which have been incorporated into the software since we started using it several years ago. The team is helpful, professional, and...

Pros

Flexible Robust Fairly easy to use Consistent addition of new and/or improved features Price

Cons

The learning curve and getting everything set up was a big undertaking, but we are glad we did it and have no regrets.

Hi Ruth, thanks so much for taking the time to share your feedback with us. Keep sending in those "wish list" items -- we're always looking for ways we can improve FP!

IVY Design Review of Function Point

IVY's experience with Function Point has been nothing short of outstanding in our first months utilizing the system. As an agency with over 17 years and 2000 projects under our belt, there was a concern that migrating to a new software package would be a disrupter to our business flow. This has not been the case whatsoever. In fact, the implementation of Function Point was seamless and, even in its...

Pros

Easy of use Amazing support team Great user interface Well thought out & rich with the features an agency needs

Cons

Nothing!

Cole - I appreciate you taking the time to write us a review. Thank you for your kind words about the Function Pointers you've worked with so far. We're always listening for feedback, so please reach out if you ever have suggestions for how we can make Function Point even better.

Diverse and Meaty

Great customer service and training for initial setup and loads of features. The software has a lot to offer but takes effort to manage correctly. Some features are not fleshed out as well as they could be, but I am continually impressed with the updates that are released. I feel that FP is actually listening to users and making changes to continually improve performance. Overall I would highly recommend -- 95/100

Pros

automation power of schedules, integrated timetracking and invoicing

Cons

FP tries to accommodate so many types of businesses I feel there is a lot of wasted features for me personally. Some aspects of system setup were very cumbersome, and certain features just don't make sense; Using taxes for US based businesses is a burden, unable to add a separate bill-to on invoices than the actual company name (many companies use alternate names for billing) makes integrating into QB a burden as there must be manual changes whenever this occurs (which is often), and numerous other odd items that don't make sense to me.

Hi Adam - I appreciate you taking the time to write us a review. I'm happy to hear that fp. has changed PMDI signs so positively. Please continue to reach out with suggestions for how we can make fp. better. We're always ready to listen.

Lots of Features

Overall it's nice to have once tool for many of our project tracking/accounting needs.

Pros

There are a lot of features that could be disparate apps but all come together nicely in one program. We mostly use for estimating, time tracking, invoicing and reporting. We don't use the brief or schedule features currently but would like to look at them again to see if they might be good for our team now that we've bene using FP for a few years.

Cons

It took us a while to set up in a way that made sense for our teams/how we work and to put some best practices into place. When we first started using FP, the Brief and Schedule features were clunky/didn't work for how we work so we haven't been able to utilize them. I also feel like some workflows are clunky and I find myself going back and forth to different views to complete tasks, but make it work!

Thanks for sharing your feedback with us, Hollis. Your Customer Success Manager will reach out to you to discuss how the Briefs and Schedules modules can work for your team!

I'm an accountant

From my perspective, I can see where the project management tools can be functional for the rest of the office. My views however, could use some more controls. Examples: 1) When something is deleted, it is gone forever, I can't tell who did it or why, just that it's gone. 2) Why can shipping be entered as an internal expense. This is never the case, but everyone in the office has the ability...

Cons

Hi Erica - thanks for your feedback. I really appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts with us. Your Customer Success Manager will be reaching out to you for a quick chat to see how we can help you out with this.

It's a great tool for project management. It's multi-layer functionality really makes it easy to use

Pros

It has a lot of ability to customize. I love that you can change your homepage to display different components of the software to fit what you're looking for. Not only that but you can also customize the reports that you can pull. This makes it easy to evaluate projects after their completion and determine profitability. Overall the software is pretty user-friendly.

Cons

There are some pieces of the software that I don't understand why you can't change. There are certain boxes that we can't edit and don't necessarily need. Or I would love to be able to make some boxes mandatory before moving forward. I also wish there was an easier way to see the schedules that get built out. The schedules are great because they let you setup each step in a job. However, I'd love to be able to pull a report that tells me what phase of the schedule each job is in. For example is Step 1 and 2 are marked "Completed" then it would show me Step 3 as the next "In Progress". This would be a huge help in our agency for project management.

Thanks for sharing with us, Nicole. Your feedback has been submitted for our Product team to consider. If you'd ever like to elaborate on some of your feedback, let us know at functionpoint.ideas.aha.io. We're always ready to listen!

Select your country

10+ YEARS RECOMMENDING SOFTWARE

Ā© 2010-2021 GetApp. All Rights Reserved.