Rentec Direct Reviews

Pros

What I love most about this software is how user friendly it is and love all of the features.

JP

John P.

We scheduled a call and within the first five minutes he was helping true up a couple of items. He was great and provided great value.

JC

Jalen C.

EM

Ellie M.

Cons

The only downside I have found with this software is its inability to integrate with QuickBooks.

VH

Vicki H.

Strictly operator error, I forget my log in from time to time. Seriously, I haven't found anything I'm unhappy with.

SM

Shannon M.

That company did a terrible job and forced us to find a solution to be able to handle the job on our own.

NQ

Nick Q.

Amazing Solution!

Overall Rentec increases the profitability of my company immensely. It allows me to automate and streamline many activities that both save time and improve accuracy. Their support team is very responsive and always happy to help walk me through any questions I may have on an entry I've made.

Pros

Rentec is very user-friendly. It's functionality is laid out well and it offers modern integrations such as online rent collection, pay owner by ACH, and electronic signatures for lease agreements. I also am impressed with their customer service. They are always very prompt and helpful.

Cons

I wish they offered a mobile app for property managers.

Thank you for the glowing review, Carlotti! We love hearing from clients about how they enjoy their tools. I'll be sure to share your love with your Client Success team. :) Wishing you a successful & happy New Year!

Come for the website capabilities, stay for the value

Pros

I switched to this software from another, $10/month cheaper software. Rentec's software is really easy to use. You don't need accounting or business knowledge to operate this software. It is really easy to use. I switched to Rentec so I could have my listings automatically populate on my website (tired of manually entering them on website by Wix). Tenants can also apply electronically from website,...

Cons

I have to be honest, I'm complaining about a free feature, but my least favorite part of the software is the website in which I migrated to Rentec for. If I try to edit my website and add items that are not on the template, my website has major HTML coding issues and will not publish properly. The visual appearance of my website thru Rentec is subpar considering what I had before. That said, I could...

Thank you, Michael, for your feedback. I'm happy to hear that the majority of your experience with Rentec has been so positive. We're happy you're with us! Adjusting source code on the free website template can throw things for a loop if one character is off, so we typically recommend only website designers adjust it. I would love to see what we can do to assist you with what you're hoping to accomplish on your template. Look for my email! :) If you do opt for a privately hosted website with more flexibility, we offer integration tools for your listings and portals. We look forward to working with you and please reach out if you need our help.

Can't recommend this to everyone.

Honestly, I would switch to another company if I could, but I have too much data in, and am too busy to go through a transfer now, and all of the hassles that would entail. I think Rentec may be a good option if you have only a few units, and very simple accounting, and are looking for a budget product, or have some familiarity with accounting and property management software, so you really don't need the support.

Pros

So it is very affordable, and some of the software is pretty simple to set up. They are continuing to add support articles and more functionality.

Cons

Functionality, especially in the accounting area is limited. No ability to select "classes". You have to find work arounds for things that you shouldn't have to. The support team is of little support. I have email chains with OVER 15 EMAILS AND THE QUESTION STILL HAS NOT BEEN ANSWERED. It is difficult to reach anyone when you call most times, so you are relegated to chat/email, and often my main...

We're sorry to hear you got off on a bad foot and your experience has been so different than other client feedback we hear. I will reach out to you personally as I would love to help clear up any confusion.

Great value

Overall, this is a really great program. Cost is low, customer service is responsive, and there are a lot of capabilities. So far, it seems they continue to add new features and improve, which is a great sign for future growth. I would definitely recommend them, and I'm happy so far.

Pros

Easy to set up and pretty easy to use. Most likely, the confusion sometimes has more to do with my accounting abilities than the software itself. Customer service is very quick to respond, which is great, although not the friendliest. They seem to work to continue improving, which is important. They recently added a co-renter option for portal access, which is fantastic, and I'm so happy they added that. We have only had the service a month or two, but so far, we are pleased.

Cons

Like I said, customer service is responsive and quick, but not the friendliest, but they get the job done & that's most important. I feel like there are some functionalities that I feel would be pretty standard, yet Rentec doesn't have the feature. For instance, you have to do a work around for multiple property owners, but it doesn't really help much. Reporting functionality is lacking. There are...

Thank you, Mallory - excellent feedback. And we're grateful you're still a Rentec client! Due to your and other client feedback, we're excited to say we've just improved how ACH funding is reflected daily in your bank account. This change should make it much easier to know exactly which transactions process. With processing reports, and automated ACH fail notifications, you shouldn't have to leave anything to chance. And please know we'll continue to work hard to refine & enhance your tools.

I love their customer support!

I've been a client of Rentec for almost 4 years and what stands out about them to me is their extremely helpful customer support. Special kudos to both Kathryn and Kevin who have helped me accomplish everything I need using their software. Whether I call or email, it seems like I get answers right away. Aside from the software being super easy to learn, I've really enjoyed all the features they've added over the years. It seems like every time I login there's something being improved.

Pros

The software is easy to learn for both me and my assistant. We were able to get up and running using the software in days, and that included bringing in all our data. The staff at Rentec was also tremendously helpful in getting it all imported.

Cons

The video training material is a bit dated, but still useful.

An outstanding management tool!

I was on RentPost previously. From that experience, I learned the hard way that while a website may make boasts of great software, if there is no Customer Support or strong Development group behind it, the user experience can be time-consuming and difficult. Converting to Rentec Direct allowed me to free up a lot of time that I formerly spent trying to fix issues caused by the software. I am so pleased with the quality of Rentec's Customer Support and Development teams.

Pros

1. Customer Support is excellent. There is great help on the Chat window and when that isn't available, phone support is great. 2. Easy to use. Once I got familiar with the system, it became a slam-dunk to manage monthly rent collection and on-time lease renewals. Training was great so I got up to speed quickly. 3. Tenants like it. Ease of use applies to tenants also. Rent reminders and late notices are clear and tenants have no problem working with the system. Rentec takes that burden off my desk. And tenants love the ACH and credit card options. 4. Software works as advertised. The Development team has built a solid product.

Cons

It would be nice to have a reporting tool that allowed me to create my own reports. Owner reporting is not very elegant as it is today.

Primarily Use for Advertising Non-MLS Properties

Even though we jumped to Buildium for most of our Property Management activities, we stayed with Rentec for the marketing aspects as their system is probably the most flexible out there for that. It would be better if we had 1 system doing everything but we are picky and want the best best of both worlds are willing to pay for it.

Pros

We use the property setup screens, the rental website portal, and syndication. We love that we can list a rental property and either syndicate it to listing services or just advertise it without syndicating it. This has helped us greatly in our marketing, especially for properties that we will only lease and not manage.

Cons

Rentec has accounting built-in but we were never able to make a go of it as it didn't have all of the functionality that we needed so we stayed with Quickbooks Premium for years until deciding to jump to Buildium for accounting and leasing.

Thanks for the review, Rick! We're so happy you've been with us for six years and that you're enjoying all the marketing features. So many enhancements have happened since you came on board. I'll reach out to you to see if you might be missing out on new features, especially related to accounting. Cheers!

Easy and Integrated Property Management

I mentioned a few specific items on my "wish list" and customer service was able to explain options to accomplish them on the first call. That saves a lot of frustration and wasted customization time. Small and limited staff companies will love the financial and management integration that saves time and money.

Pros

I had a list of items applicable to my specific circumstances, of course. I used this to compare software, so that I knew these would be accommodated, then on to the functionality. Like many of us, I didn't want a difficult system for my clerical help. At the same time, the integrated accounting and background/credit checks were good matches for our needs and money-saving, to boot.

Cons

The setup for properties and their perimeters takes some time, but all systems require it. The first, general setup did give us an opportunity to look at our policies and procedures overall, which is important to do, especially when switching to a new system.

Awesome help

Pros

This software is very easy to use, and it offers all that I need to make managing our properties easy. The customer service and tech support is amazing. The support team has been very helpful several times in guiding me through some of the technical aspects of the software that have made things run more efficiently for our daily flow. I felt very capable of using this software after having the training provided over the phone.

Cons

There are a couple of things that I would like to see Rentec Direct offer in the future. However, I love how it has a suggestion area which lets me know that some improvements or upgrades are in the works or are being considered.

Thank you, Courtney! We are grateful for your business and happy to hear you're still feeling & sharing the Rentec love after being part of the family for over a year. Stand by for some great feature releases happening this year!

Blows our old platform away !

Overall positive, still needs a little tweaking.

Pros

Built in marketing tools (website). Right-priced screening tools. Accounting features.

Cons

1. Asking someone to "Apply now" (from just the pictures) is a bit intimidating for many prospective tenants. There should be button for "request more information, and maybe "for a faster response answer these questions". Basically looking to have them fill out a brief questionnaire before actually applying with social security numbers, kids names, etc. So for now I'm using the...

We appreciate your praise & feedback, Eric! And, good news! You can track those capital expenses for a property if you wish. It's as simple as adding the property, creating any special expense categories and posting those expenses. You'll be able to drill into one or more of these categories in your financial reports.

Perfect for beginers

I would recommend this to anyone with less than 100 properties.

Pros

We used this product for a few years when our property management company was just starting to grow. It was great in the beginning because it got everything out of excel and quick books and onto a property-oriented platform. The reports were excellent. The program was extremely user-friendly.

Cons

We ended up changing to another program when we grew out of Rentec Direct. The program only allowed you to deposit ACH payments into one account and that was an issue for us.

Thanks Molly for positive feedback! We listened to you and other clients and rolled out the option for multiple electronic rent collection accounts back in May of 2017. Current clients really love this option and the fact we don't charge you, property owners or your tenants for ACH transactions (echecks). More details can be found in the link below. Rentec has grown up over the last decade and we'd love the chance to woo you again. :) https://www.rentecdirect.com/blog/multiple-deposit-accounts/

Simple and Easy

If it wasn't so much work and if payments from tenants processed quicker, I would switch back. I preferred the ease and simplicity of Rentec over AppFolio which I am using now.

Pros

Very user friendly No learning curve Reports are easy to read Information is formatted in a way that most would understand Price is great and this is good for those with only a couple rentals or if you have 100's

Cons

When I used this product, it didn't offer all the bells and whistles that others did like an app for your phone The ACH process was too slow when I used it and it could take too many days to get money and send money

We appreciate you singing our praises, Michelle, and letting us know what was important to you. Back in 2017, we increased transaction processing speeds, rolled out mobile apps and a whole host of other slick features. We're always working to on new ways to to help our clients be more efficient. Wishing you great success!

Great program! Needs some work but all in all a great program!

Some of the things that need work are: Docusign - it needs to be where we can assign signature fields for the tenant so they know where to sign. Reconciling - It needs to be a little less confusing when reconciling the ACH transactions. it would also be better if you could sort out the transactions by check number/ACH or by date. Scrolling - when you go into a tenants account to make changes the page scrolls back to the top when you come out. It needs to stay where you went into the tenants account so that if you are making multiple changes in an account you dont have to search for it again when you make the first change. Owner disbursements - It would be great if the program would automatically send an email to the owners when an owner disbursement is made.

Pros

It makes life a lot easier in the rental managing world. This program helps keep up with tenant payments and owner disbursements.

Cons

Hi Tracey, We appreciate your kind comments about the software and wanted to respond to a couple of the challenges you mentioned. With our Docusign integration you are able to add signature fields for tenants from the drop-down fields list in the upper right when editing a form, it is part of the core functionality. A good solution for the scrolling issue you mention is to use the date range selector...

Rentec Direct is very user friendly and support is always available and excellent!

I would have and HAVE recommended RenTec Direct to other Property Management Companies.

Pros

RenTec Direct Software is extremely user-friendly and so easy to use. I am not very computer literate and I was able to teach myself the program. When I have a problem or question or something out of the ordinary comes up I just call support team and is there so helpful, friendly and personable. That definitely helps when your stressed and need help with your software!

Cons

There are a few things that I would change regarding some of the reports, however, they have been adding and changing things daily so I do not really have many cons.

We have outgrown Rentec

We have been using Rentec for over 5 years. We have over 600 units on Rentec, both multifamily and retail. We started out as a small company and now have about 30 employees. I was a huge, avid fan of this software when we were smaller, but the lack of controls as we have grown larger now outweigh the positives. There is a very limited amount of control for user access. Basically a user has access...

Pros

Great functionality for smaller companies and number of rental units (4 or fewer employees) Easy to use to get the basics started

Cons

If you plan on growing past 5 employees, consider something else. Not enough controls for various employee access/restriction to appropriate data/pages. Customer service used to be great, has slowed considerably in the last 2 years. The company has gotten a lot larger, and thus don't listen as well as they used to. Make sure that the software meets your current (and future) needs. Don't expect major changes. Small rollouts of capabilities do continue to happen.

Simple, Organized Layout

This site has been great for all of my needs, from keeping track of tenants, landlords, properties, and maintenance. Sometimes running reports is a little labor-intensive, as you can't print out monthly reports, etc. that we use for all properties at once, so it takes time to select each property and run reports individually. Overall though, this is user-friendly and great for our needs.

Pros

Easy to use, organized and simple design

Cons

Running some reports can be laborious since you can't run some categories for all properties at one time, as we need to do each month.

Hi Darci, Thanks for the review and feedback! Your team at Rentec Direct is happy to hear about everything that is working well for you. We'd love to hear more about how the reporting features can be improved to make your life easier. Feel free to reach out to your Success Team at support@rentecdirect.com to share your experience and ideas. Cheers, Kaycee at Rentec Direct

This company is amazing

I have used them for 9 years. I would recommend them to anyone.

Pros

The software is easy to learn, use. The people are very nice. Very good for the money. They have thought of everything.

Cons

Online payment could be easier to use. The app for the phone should be for managers as well. Pay checks should be easier to do.

Melodie! Thank you for the kudos and for being a faithful Rentec client for so many years. And good news! We're rolling out a manager app this year and you'll love it. We've also updated the online payment tools since you came on board and they are very user-friendly now. Cheers!

Rentech mostly behaves the way you would expect the software to behave and is functional.

Ease of use and I went through my first accounting review with the results

Pros

It was relatively easy to learn and behave the way you expected it to. It was easy to find the controls for changing what little you could change in the functionality. The reports are what you expect them to be, income/expense, income, expense. The rent-roll was reasonable. Everything is exportable. The bank accounts acted like bank accounts and were thus easy to understand. Entering the data didn't take an excessive number of steps

Cons

Going from one screen to another sometimes took an excessive amount of time. Some archiving of data locally to the users browser would probably enhance the user experience significantly. Use of an input worksheet for income and expenses would make these tasks much more effective and efficient.

Terrific software, outstanding customer service!

Pros

I had done an obscene amount of research on software options for my small landlord operation (18 units so far) since I was outgrowing the excel spreadsheets that had at one point kept me somewhat organized. Honestly, I thought my mind was made up on Buildium, but once I did an overview with Kathryn over the phone, I was hooked. I told her exactly what I wanted from the software and where my trouble...

Cons

I wish that when filing out a work order, it could be an SMS notification, rather than just an email.

I Love Rentec Direct.

I am not a computer savvy person and I found Rentec to be super user friendly!

Pros

I like the customer service and how they can remote into my computer. I am a visual person and being able to be talked through what I need to do while doing it is extremely helpful!

Cons

There are a few things that could be changed with the software but they aren't major issues. Just things that would be more helpful to me while creating certain reports.

Amazing Software Package

We just recently selected Rentec Direct for our rental company management software selection. Rentec has been wonderful to work with from the initial point of contact regarding software questions prior to our subscription and as we continued to move forward with the set up and use of the software. [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] with Rentec has been very prompt to reply and provided very informative assistance...

Pros

The many features that Rentec has bundled into one package making the management of our apartment leasing streamlined and easy. Excellent customer service and hands on training!

Cons

At this time we have no dislikes with the software.

Great to hear your positive feedback, January! We love hearing from new clients. Just know we'll be here for you for the long haul. :)

Rep has been a great help

Rep has been over the top helpful I have call several times trying to set up a Merchant account and each time I talked to her, she has patiently walked me through it, even when I have been annoyingly slow to understand.

Pros

Great customer service and easy to use. Plus many services at a cost effective price. Very good reports

Cons

Not easy to call. Have to wait for call back, not always convenient. I would also like more freedom to be able to custmize reports

Full Service rental software A++++

Pros

I love how easy the product is to use and the support you get when you have a question. The software has helped our business grow so much and get our apartment listings in front of people we never would of normally see our local ads. It has great accounting functionality built into it that allows us to reconcile with our bank accounts in a very easy and effective way.

Cons

I do not have any complaints at this time when we first started using it 5 years ago there were a few things but they have been updating and adding features all the time and now there are no missing features or problems that are unresolved.

Rentec Direct great value for the price and functionality

I am a small startup (still getting my systems in place and don't have any other owners yet) in Montana. I researched Rentec Direct, Buildium, Rent Manager and Appfolio. One of my main concerns was taking on a monthly financial commitment when so young as a company. When all was said and done, I really appreciated that RD was created by a property manager who saw a need for this niche in 2007. The...

Pros

Reasonable price for a small startup, easy to learn, good accounting piece, website is included, customer service is very responsive to inquiries.

Cons

On-line application limited to 5 custom fields, included website could use a bit more functionality, nothing more at this time.

Superb for new PM businesses and perfectly scales with growth

I researched SEVERAL PM software companies . . . Rentec Direct offers the most, across the board, for a REASONABLE price. RD was honored as the Stevie Award Winner in 2019 American Business Awards, https://www.rentecdirect.com/blog/2019-stevie-award/

Pros

Robust features at a reasonable price. For instance: - ACH transactions (for both tenants and owners!) included, or for minimal price for startups, in Rentec Direct subscription - Rapid-response customer support - Excellent webinar/blog content for onboarding and growth

Cons

The primary tenant screening option is only available for PM companies managing at least six properties. Rentec Direct does provide a tenant-initiated option for companies managing one to five properties.

Thanks for the love, Timothy! We're so happy you're part of the Rentec family now and we look forward to helping you! Regarding Tenant Screening, all PRO & PM clients can get setup for pulling reports through their Rentec Direct account, but to do so, there is a requirement to have at least one signed rental application. For brand-new landlords and managers, all you have to do is wait until you have your first signed rental application. :)