OpenCart Logo

OpenCart

Open source e-commerce platform for selling online

OpenCart Reviews

User ratings

4.3

• Likelihood to recommend8.28/10

See full reviews by rating

The best aspects of OpenCart include the ability to integrate payment gateways and e-commerce tools easily into websites. Many are free to use and the variety of tools are fantastic.
Great feedback from the community, being and active and responsive community. We were able to develop one online shop with easy and great performance.
What I like most about OpenCart is that it is open source, thereby it has a huge community. I like that OpenCart is easy to use and setup.
Most of the templates require further work, as they are usually bought at foreign sites. There are also problems with translation, or rather its lack and with optimization.
Some say bad customer support, but no personal experience in this regard.
We do not favor how limited the base platform is on shipping integration, fraudulent order monitoring, or promotional sale control.

OpenCart users...

Adobe Commerce-logocaret

Adobe Commerce

BigCommerce-logocaret

BigCommerce

WordPress-logocaret

WordPress

How would you rate OpenCart?

Open Cart User Review

Transcript

Whitney S.: My name's Whitney. I am a chief marketing officer and co-business owner. I give OpenCart...

OpenCart the way to go

I have had a tremendous experience... I can build my website the way I want, and once I pay for a OpenCart plugin, or theme, I add it to my box of tools that I can permanently use on any of my other sites. The initial setup can be a little daunting, but once you've built your first site, it's fantastic. The plugins and themes are very well priced, and the support is great. OpenCart have addressed...

Pros

You control everything, and you can find plugins to add functionality you do not have... It is great if you want full control, and I have never found there is something I want that I cannot do without a plugin or a tweak here and there. Support is great and often the developers who create the plugins will help you install the plugin for free after you buy it. They normally even do small tweaks for...

Cons

Like most software, there is a learning curve. It can be painful all at once, but the more you use OpenCart, the better it gets.

OpenCart is the easy option for e-commerce solutions

We use OpenCart for retail stores as well as wholesale (B2B) stores. Using the native functionality and OCMOD we can make OpenCart behave like a Swiss Army knife, from Retail store to Wholesale store. This is buying as a lot of time, because choosing another platform or writing a new one for the purpose of a wholesale store would be time consuming, and let's not talk about the time that customers will need to adjust the get trained to use their wholesale store on top of the retail store. So, using the same technology and habits of coding functionality and the same User Experience and User Interface buys us a lot of time of development, training and setting up.

Pros

As a developer, I like the Model-View-Controller design pattern, it's easy to seperate things and understand the code, as well as reuse different controllers or models through the development of new extensions, as a result it's easy to make what it looks like native extensions, without breaking the software functionality if you follow the coding standards already used by the OpenCart developers. I...

Cons

Even though OpenCart is stable since the beginning, I think we need more functionality that other platforms are having and would be nice if we could move them to OpenCart too. Not major functionality, but different minor things that will improve the workflow of an e-commerce owner, such as a summary page that will show products missing images, products with broken images, categories with no products, products with no descriptions or products missing translations etc. I think in the era of Javascript it would be nice if we could convert some pages that the administrator spends a lot of time to AJAX functionality or even Single Page Application so that we can make more and massively in less time. Although, that would break some 3rd party extensions obviously.

Simple and cheap e-shop system for small e-shops without marketing support.

This product works well for my low and middle class e-shops which offer limited number of products, mostly in the same category, with a smaller budget for running and promotion. For the more advanced needs, this system cannot offer enough functions and there is not enough resources for customers. Free version is too simple. For some results, paid themes and plugins are needed. Then e-shop may generate some income.

Pros

OpenCart is not as demanding as other e-shops in terms of resources. It doesn't use server sources as high as other apps. You can run it on standard on a shared hosting. There is fairly simple interface so it is easy to setup a shop, very simplified. It can be used by beginners. Simple UI on the back-end and fairly descent front-end makes it easy to use. Easy backup.

Cons

Very hard to update or modify. It can just break down and not work even if you roll out backup of the previously working site. SEO is terrible even with paid plugins. To make addresses and descriptions work is so hard. Never made it to work completely as it would on standard shops Magento, or Wordpress. One-page shopping is not working well even with paid plugins. Marketing options are very limited...

Free Shopping Cart

It's free, easily implemented.

Pros

Nothing beats free. Easily integrated. Popular.

Cons

Could have better template support. Competitors have a wider range of plugin support and better, more comprehensive page builders.

Awesome for Startups, Small Businesses and Medium Size Businesses

Overall, my experience with OpenCart has been very good throughout the years as it is one of the e-commerce software solutions that I can install and maintain without having to worry about it unexpectedly breaking in between periods of maintenance.

Pros

One of the things that I like the most about OpenCart is the multitude of options available for tailoring it towards my business needs. I have found that many of the modules and extensions that other e-commerce software solutions charge for are included out of the box with OpenCart and for free. For the extensions that are not included out of the box, they can usually be found in the OpenCart marketplace either for free or for a nominal price that allows even startups to realize a profit on their business even faster.

Cons

One of the things that I like the least about this software is the filter function for products in the admin area. Rather than allowing for products to be filtered by a single identifying keyword within a title, you have to remember the beginning word of the title and continue to add keywords in order to help filter down to a manageable number of products fitting the criteria you are looking for.

A perfect solution for ecommerce

It covered most of my ecommerce requisites and is by far the best ecommerce platform.

Pros

The themes are good and the functionality is great.Their Model-View-Controller(MVC) makes development way cooler as one can analyze and edit code easily. Upgrades are easy to implement. It is not also resource hungry as other e-shops.It is also easy to backup.Built in extensions are also easy to implement and help in making a powerful e-store.

Cons

It is a bit difficult to use if you are a beginner. Fewer plugins as compared to other systems.The bugs are a bit difficult to work on.The filtering of products is a problem

The best free / open source shopping cart for pure e-commerce

Pros

Free, integrates with many other platforms, choice of hosting providers

Cons

There isn't really a fully featured option for subscriptions. CMS / block / page editing would also be a nice addition.

OpenCart works well for small businesses whose product availability are limited. It can't offer enough resources for customers in large businesses as it should. It has a free version that is too easy to operate, paid plugins are needed to generate some incomes. OpenCart has so many features that are included in it's default set-up, themes and lots of add-ons. I recommend OpenCart for small businesses if they're looking to boost sales.

Pros

It's very flexible and easy to customize' It's easy to understand and operate. Good marketplace to buy extensions for good prices. OpenCart is very affordable for all business sizes. Easy installation and setup. It has a continues upgrade in system features.

Cons

It has a laborious upgrade process. It has limited functionality back-end search and filters. It has limited and hard to find marketing functionalities.

"A comprehensive and scalable eCommerce solution"

Pros

OpenCart is a great CMS for creating eCommerce stores. It's really easy to use, includes multiple payment integration tools, and has a multitude of features that makes your store more user-friendly. It is very simple to deploy both domestically and on servers, and it is quick and simple for both administrators and consumers.

Cons

Not found any complicated issues, it's a wonderful CMS tool.

One of the easiest stand-alone options

OpenCart is my favorite open source option for e-commerce applications when the circumstances are appropriate. I've installed, setup and administered it for several clients and had minimal after-installation problems.

Pros

OpenCart is easy to install, easy to deploy and easy to update. Modules/plugins are readily available to provide pretty much all the functionality you could want. The dashboard/user controls are easy to negotiate and quite intuitive to figure out without extensive study.

Cons

Since I run a "captive" online store for the company, the ability to integrate with third party product providers is critical. OpenCart has limited ability to do this.

For the amateur and the professional

OpenCart is regarded as quite the savior for newcomers to the e-commerce industry - this was (is) at least the case for me. The system gives you a solution that is ready-to-use straight out of the box. Through the admin panel, you can change numerous settings including advanced banner setup, pages setup, payments, categories and the lot. If you are curious on how to change the code and customize it...

Pros

The flexibility and the customization while still being easy to use and understand. It is also mobile friendly.

Cons

The extension market - while still providing a whole lot of quality solutions - is still suffering from some low-quality publishers as well as duplicators who are stealing from others. More policing is needed.

Great option for needing customized ecommerce

We needed to be able to bolt on many additional services that were enabling our e-commerce capability. OpenCart has great API functionality that allowed us to do this.

Pros

This was used with my past company and our team really enjoyed some of the "open-source" nature of OpenCart versus other competitors (such as Magento).

Cons

It isn't as robust in an enterprise standpoint as other options. However, I think the pro that I mentioned far outweighs this.

OpenCart is an amazing software.

I have been using this software for over 6 years to build ecommerce websites for my clients, offering customized solutions, template design, extensions, modules, consulting, maintenance.

Pros

Seo friendly. Easy to install and setup. Continued upgrades. Easy for develop custom solutions. Great community. Great marketplace to buy extensions for good prices. Infinite Payment gateways. Infinite Shipping Gateways. Email Marketing Tools. Insightfully Reports. Users and Role Administrations. Discounts, Sales, Coupons, Rewards Points. Products Reviews. Multi Language. Multi Currency. Mobile Ready. Marketing Tracking Tools. Affiliate Program Tool. And more...

Cons

OpenCart's core upgrade processes are often laborious, but the OpenCart team seems to be working on this, and often offering solutions that allow you to take these weak points to disappear in a short time.

Use it if you love open source

Very Good, where extreme customisation is required.

Pros

It is open source Easy to customize Huge developer community Easy to setup Full control over data

Cons

Doesn't have a huge plugin marketplace like shopify Non-tech person can't customise this platform Quite outdated in few features.

Good open-source cart platform if you have a developer

Pros

It's free, what's not to like about an open-source shopping cart platform. It's extendable with modules, and can be made to be pretty powerful.

Cons

The modules, more particularly, that there are no coding standards or screening processes in which developers must go through before a paid module is put up for sale on the marketplace.

Great for teamwork!

I am self-employed, dealing with only one aspect of the company that I am contracted with, but this application streamlines all of the work neatly into order if used properly. It could be really overwhelming to a single person, but learning a few steps at a time is completely doable. The application itself has always worked reliably.

Pros

Opencart is great for teamwork and order processing/organization. You can customize this application to your needs.

Cons

I do a lot of job submissions, and copy-pasting all the details out of OpenCart slows me down, especially when it comes to transferring customer shipping details. If an order is improperly labeled by anyone in the team, it can be hard to track down. I would love to see a tab that shows most recent job changes in order to find things recently mis-labeled.

The best e-commerce platform

I gained many things but most important I improved my programming skills

Pros

It's easy to use and really fast. You can easily build a shop with thousands of product without paying a flrtune on hosting. It is SEO promising with built in SEO customization. Its also an independent framework by itself which I found pretty interesting as I am developer as well. Last but not least there is a big community supporting it.

Cons

Sometimes in a hurry on publish new releases which leads to bugs. And forum members (some of them) can be really aggressive .

Opencart a great online shopping platform

Since opencart is open source we have found that we have full control as to how pages are deigned and how items are layed outr on our pages. We are not constrained in this regard. Where we have to invest more is on security of teh website as the website grows.

Pros

Opencart is a fairly simple platform to use to set up an online shopping platform. It has not required too much server space so its main advantage is it is lighter on the hosting package requirements compared to its peers with the same functionalities and costs. We have also found that the learning curve for this platform is not as steep as for others as it is made with the developer novice in mind.

Cons

We have been advised that the platform creates copies of pages. For anyone who understands SEO this is a negative as it reduces organic SEO ranking. We found this out when having an SEO audit done. Otherwise we are happy with everything else.

Thumbs up to OpenCart

OpenCart is suppose to be a tryout but I ended up sticking to the platform. I am happy and would strongly recommend to you.

Pros

I heard about OpenCart from a friend and I decided to try it out but I didn't expect it to blow my mind. An open source online store platform that's free and all its functions and features works great. I love the fact that I could control and operate it. Highly customizable has so many add ons. I ended up sticking to OpenCart

Cons

The platforms fine. I am impressed and i do not have any dislike.

Setup your own online store to sell your products.

I used the Open Cart for a long time to run my store online. Saved my time and money to develop self store using coding.

Pros

Open Cart is software to use create store online for sell products. It have approximately all required features which are necessary for a store owner. Open Cart is available in different languages and have a large amount of extensions to customize the store. Themes are also available or you can customize current theme. It gives you all controls over your store.

Cons

Some features hard to understand and handle. like mega menu is not easy to understand and without mega menu store looks not good in my thoughts.

Great, full featured opensource cart with thousands of addons

I have been developing with OpenCart for 5+ years now and a lot of my e-commerce clients are using it and getting great sales because of it. It is easy to use for the non-techie once everything is set-up. It has a large set of features in the default set-up and there are thousands of extensions/add-ons available and thousands of themes, what's not to like.

Pros

Easy to install and set-up Ease of Use Good support community Thousands of add-ons Thousands of themes

Cons

Release cycle is random and not thought out Difficult to upgrade unless you

Feature rich CMS with alot to do! Security could be better

- Easy to manage products - Setting up a store in no time - Selling products online - Accepting payments online

Pros

- Made for small and medium e-commerce shops - Alot of features - A number plugins available to do almost any tasks - The latest version enables customizations without much loss during updating

Cons

- Security can be proved. OC is often a subject to malware attacks and credit card scammers - Community can be stronger like other CMSs like Magento/WordPress

One of the best ecommerce carts

Pros

Easy to setup, easy to rank, easy to customize. Great feedback from the community, being and active and responsive community. We were able to develop one online shop with easy and great performance

Cons

Not being the most developed online cart system it has his drawbacks, many upgrades and modules are not developed for opencart. Depending on your needs and expectation you should consider more options, depending on what you need.

Built your online store using Opencart

It is Perfect

Pros

my website is built using opencart, one of the best ecommerce platform on the net, it is easy to use and implement and plus its Free and opensource. Opencart is build using PHP with tons of free and paid extensions and modules to choose from.

Cons

advanced features need to be purchased from third party developers, some features must be already incorporated into the opencart core.

Decent self-hosted e-commerce solution for small shops

For a basic e-commerce website for a small shop, OpenCart can be a decent solution for self-hosted. Clients are always happy with the easy to use administration and find intuitive. As a developer, its been fairly easy to modify code. I typically recommend other software over OpenCart, but overall it's a decent platform to start out with.

Pros

Website administration is easy-to-use and non-technical clients can easily find what they need. Great basic set of features making setup of website fairly easy to get going. And of course the best part of OpenCart, it's free to use as open-source software.

Cons

Extensive customization can get costly with extensions. Some security issues with some of the extensions, so choose wisely. Outdated templates/themes. Not a good choice for larger shops as it will slow down considerably.