Venmo Logo

Venmo

Digital wallet & mobile payment gateway

Venmo Reviews

4.7

9.1K

Rating criteria

• Likelihood to recommend9.13/10

Reviews by rating

Makes for easy transfers in or out of my bank account and customer service is AMAZING. Customer Service is also available through chat, and I LOVE that.
I love Venmo and would recommend it to anyone who needs an easy way to send or request money. I have found it to be more user friendly than PayPal and other similar products.
The app is super easy to navigate and also is great for paying friends, because there is no fees like with paypal. The app is super inexpensive and an even be completely free if used a certain way.
It is still hard to find our business even with the exact handle and there is no way to retract a payment if sent to wrong person. That's a little nerve racking if a client gets our @name wrong.
I understand from security reasons, but it is annoying. Apparently it is possible now, but has been a pain to figure out.
There is a potential of 'abuse' in that the transactions are irreversible. Also, the default setting is 'public.

9,136 reviews

JD

John D.

Structural Engineer

Civil Engineering, 10,001+ employees

Venmo for Business

Transcript

John D.: Hi, hi there. My name is John, I'm the CEO of a fitness and wellness program and company, and...

CharRon S.

Owner

Entertainment, 1-10 employees

Venmo is king

Transcript

Charron S.: Hi, my name's Charron, I'm an owner. And I give Venmo five out of five. If you want more...

Krishnamoorthy K.

Marketing and Advertising, 1-10 employees

Easy way to send and receive money

Venmo does not charge recurring fees, such as monthly or yearly fees, like other payment services. When sending money from a bank account, debit card, or your Venmo balance, there are no fees charged. Payment apps charge a 3 percent fee for credit card transactions, which is typical throughout the industry. There are also no fees associated with receiving money or transferring it to your bank account,...

Pros

It is quick and simple to use. Finally, but certainly not least, it has a large user base, which means that many of your connections may already be using it. Venmo's success may be attributed in large part to its simplicity of use. There is very little of a learning curve. You may download it and begin sending and receiving money within minutes of installing it. Using Venmo to divide costs is also a breeze since it provides an on-screen calculator when you transfer or request money from someone. You may also send or request the same amount from several people at the same time if you're sharing a bill with a group of people.

Cons

Once you've made a payment via Venmo, there is no way to reverse it. The money is sent promptly to the intended recipient. If you need a payment to be refunded, Venmo advises that you contact the receiver and request the money back. Other than that, you may request that Venmo's customer service reverse the payment on your behalf; however, they can only do so if the receiver accepts, if their account is in good shape, and if they still have the cash in the bank.

MJ

Mary Jane C.

Construction, 11-50 employees

Venmo is my Favorite go to tool. DAY OR NIGHT! It's doable!

Venmo has made a huge difference in my life professionally and personally. You've made is possible to worry less about taking care of those I love and are responsible for! You have truly made a difference!!

Pros

The security, the efficient and fast process. I love that I don't need my bank open or any business open to take care of what needs to be taken care of now! Day or Night, I have the access I need to get whatever is needed done!

Cons

I always get turned around trying to find new contacts. It's an older generation thing!

SN

Susan N.

Consumer Services, 1-10 employees

Thieves

Pros

Convenient…. They make it easy to receive funds but careful…. You may never see your money!!

Cons

I disputed a couple transactions from the same company that I never authorized. Well, Venmo shut my account down and froze it. I have given them my drivers license, passport, picture of the house number on my house, food stamp card, medical marijuana government ID card, Social Security card, food stamp card, bank card plus a selfie and they won’t release my funds! I think any idiot can figure out I’m...

MS

Mike S.

Education Management, 11-50 employees

Used monthly for 2+ years

Trusted and recognized payment option

A very good and trusted platform to offer to customers that do not wish to use credit cards.

Pros

Customers already recognize this payment option and some prefer this over using their credit card.

Cons

There is a chance that the customer will choose the wrong recipient and that causes a lot of stress for them.

MM

Mac M.

Hospitality, 1-10 employees

Great transfer times, SMALL fees.

Great app and features, amazing customer service, will continue to use in the future.

Pros

it's features are wide ranged and very useful, the ability to memo and categorize my payments is very handy for bookkeeping later on.

Cons

the only con I can think of is the small percentage that Venmo takes out of EACH transaction

KS

Kelly S.

Retail, self-employed

Simple and quick way to get paid

Pros

Venmo is a great app that allows you to accept payment from clients and customers on the go.

Cons

Venmo could improve by allowing off-line payments and processing once a device is back in service.

KB

Kristi B.

Retail, self-employed

Good option for tiny start up looking to use e-payments

Has been great for converting sales, nice to have as many options as possible for people to pay.

Pros

Ease of use, widely adopted, clean and easy to explain to customers. No set up fee.

Cons

Fees! Have heard horror stories of money being insecure in the actual platform. Work around to simply transfer money out asap.

JG

Jessica G.

Facilities Services, 11-50 employees

Better than cashapp

My overall experience has been great. I definitely recommend.

Pros

Venmo doesnt have errors like cashapp. And when adding money to venmo it goes through instantly. Cash app sometimes takes many minutes,hours, or days to go through.

Cons

That you cant go in a store and add cash to venmo.

EL

Eric L.

Law Practice, 1-10 employees

Venmo is the industry leader

My overall experience with Venmo has been universally positive, it has been a positive development for my business and personal use.

Pros

This platform is second to none with respect to customer loyalty

Cons

Not a fan of the public viewing but it can be disabled

JO

Jamie O.

Accounting, 11-50 employees

Used monthly for 2+ years

Venmo review

Pros

I like the ease of use on phone and QR code.

Cons

desktop application is not as good as mobile app. I would really like some sort of verification of receipt.

Higher Education, 10,001+ employees

So easy and many friends, family and colleagues use this!

Love venmo! Literally use it with all my friends, family, colleagues, and businesses that accept payment via venmo. I rarely find someone who doesn't have this. It seems to be continously growing and asked of when coordinating payment of something. Highly recommend this software!

Pros

Takes a few simple steps to set up and start your account/link to your bank. So many people use this app that i rarely find someone who doesn't have it. Makes going out and splitting the bill with friends so much easier - to paying your babysitter, hairdresser, or the person who grabbed coffee for you, and so much more in a matter of seconds. People can also charge you or you can charge others when they owe you to help remind them and stay organized. Besides using the app, they push notifications to you every time someone pays or charges you, as well as when you make payment to someone. They will even send you an email to help stay on top of things.

Cons

Only down side to this working in fundraising and as someone who makes philanthropic donations, many people want to donate through venmo but the platform isn't currently set up for this capability. I believe they are in a pilot mode for this capability but doesn't feel like they are moving fast enough on it and once it does go live, will it be easy to implement? Larger organizations have trouble with this, while i see smaller, less complex organizations being able to implement well. Huge potential though for this software!

SL

Shannon L.

E-Learning, self-employed

Venmo is a MUST HAVE

I know VENMO is owned by PayPal, but VENMO is so much better in the day to day of collecting and sending money. My kids have it, making is super easy for me to "pay them back" or for them to get paid by a neighbor for babysitting or helping out in some way. Also great for "collecting" from people for a teachers gift. Some cons: the default option is "public." Sort of like face book or Instagram, the...

Pros

Super easy to transfer funds to anyone. Literally takes less than 30 seconds to request or send money. No more "not collecting" from friends for "their share" of the night out, you just send a "request". Very easy to send a tip or pay a babysitter.

Cons

You can't tie your VENMO to a savings account. Must have a cell number, google voice doesn't count. Can be hard to search for people. Setting default is "public" meaning others can see who you have sent money to and what you wrote in the comments. You must write something in the comments or put an emoji for each transaction even if you don't want to.

HL

Heather L.

Marketing and Advertising, 1-10 employees

Top Notch!

Venmo has made not having cash on hand very convenient. Whether it's collecting funds for a teacher gift or paying someone back for lunch at the office, it's quick, easy, convenient, safe and it's nice that you can keep a Venmo balance or transfer the money directly into your linked bank account.

Pros

This app makes it easy to make payments, reimbursements and other monetary transactions. It's safe, secure and user friendly platform makes this app my go to. It was easily linked with bank accounts, the ability to make the transaction public or private and add "friends" was a great tool.

Cons

The thing I like least about this software is that sometimes it'll ask the last 4 digits of the persons phone number that you are sending it to. While this is a great feature to assure it's going to the correct person, we don't always know the person's phone number that it's linked to, although it does give an option to bypass this step.

AP

Aaron P.

Information Technology and Services, self-employed

Used monthly for 1-2 years

Venmo offers and quick and easy way to send and receive money, but has questionable privacy

Beyond the privacy issues, Venmo is really easy to use and a fairly good experience. If it was not for the fact that transactions are made public by default, I would easily recommend Venmo to everyone.

Pros

Venmo makes it really easy to send and receive money to friends, family and businesses. The setup is relatively painless, especially if your bank supports "Plaid" verification (otherwise you will need to manually enter your bank account info and wait a day or two for verification). Venmo also support sending/receiving payment via credit cards or debit cards, but with a 3% processing fee. In addition, Venmo supports business profiles (as by default, theoretically, your profile is for personal use only).

Cons

The absolute biggest downside to Venmo is its questionable privacy policies and settings. By default, all of your transactions are made public, anyone who knows your username can see what transactions you have made (both sending and receiving). You can change these settings, but Venmo makes it unnecessarily difficult - first you need to change your privacy settings to "private," making all of your...

DF

Daniel F.

Primary/Secondary Education, 11-50 employees

The Best Peer to Peer Money Transferring App!

Venmo makes small money transactions much faster and easier than with any app before. I've used it almost daily, and I can't say I've run into any issues or long wait times. I can't even rate their customer service, because I've never had an error or a transaction mistake in the entire 4-5 years I've used it. From paying rent to splitting the dinner bill with friends, this app makes money transactions easier than ever.

Pros

Venmo is quick, easy, and accessible. Users can very quickly set up an account, connect their card or bank information, and start sending money to friends and family! The app is very fast, without requiring too many clicks or menu navigation to quickly send or receive money. It can also transfer to your bank account in just a few days for free, or it can be expedited for a small fee.

Cons

There really aren't many cons with Venmo. I would say one concern that users may want to look into is that if they use a credit card instead of bank information as their primary source of money, the app will charge extra fees. This is a minor complaint, but I've known a few users who had been unaware of this and were paying a fee for each transaction.

DG

Desiree G.

Individual & Family Services, self-employed

Venmo for the win!

Highly highly recommend

Pros

I use this app every single day. Every day after work, I Venmo request my customers. I love the reminder notification. Sometimes people forget to pay and the reminder is a gentle and non confrontational way to ask for payments again. I love the transfer to my bank account. It's free if you wait a couple days or instant transfer with a small fee. I also have a free Venmo card that's attached to my account. All black, very nice looking and was free with my account. I'll get email offers for discounts if I pay with Venmo at certain places. I also have gotten a referral bonus a couple times which is nice. App is super easy to use, nothing complicated. I prefer Venmo over Cash app and other competitors.

Cons

Sometimes my balance doesn't update right away. Even if I just opened the app, it'll have my old balance still on. It's an easy fix, I just have to refresh the page. It's not a major con at all, just something small.

Music, 1-10 employees

Fast and Easy Payment Processing

Pros

I like the ease of credit/debit card charging through this app. It is widely used, at least across the United States, so many people already have an account created and linked to a card or bank account. Transferring the payment to your account is quick, usually faster than they estimate, and has a very low processing fee compared to other business platforms.

Cons

I dislike that you must be specific about using the business side of Venmo instead of a personal account. There are different rules about how much money can be transferred in a month and you can be shut down if you forget to use the business side.

JH

Jessica H.

Consumer Services, 1-10 employees

Make purchases, receive money and much more, effortlessly!

Overall I enjoy the ease of use with this app, it has made it easier for me to get money from my husband in a pinch, or send to my kids, or making payments to vendors while I’m out at flea markets, I have also used venmo for payments when I was doing deliveries and it has worked very well for me. I have more trust and faith in this program over other services similar to this one.

Pros

I love how quickly this app sends and receives money, I appreciate the privacy and security, I have never once had an issue with any discrepancies. Never had a payment not go through.

Cons

The only two issues I do have with this software is that I don’t wish to see all the past payments I’ve made to other people, and if someone is using my phone to make a payment I don’t want the past payments visible. Also I wish for venmo to accept more prepaid cards.

TS

Tommy S.

Media Production, self-employed

Venmo is an absolute essential!

My overall experience with Venmo has been amazing. Never have had any issues or problems with using the software. It’s constantly being updated and I just really can’t emphasize enough how much better it is than any other products I’ve looked into.

Pros

I love using Venmo to get paid and to pay others! It’s so easy and simple to use and the best part about it is that it’s free! Free to sign-up and free to send and receive money. A lot of other softwares make you pay fees to receive money and even send it which is totally annoying. With Venmo, I can get paid and transfer the money to my bank account totally free, and if I need to get the money instantly, then I can pay a small 1% fee to instantly transfer the funds into my account. Look no further, Venmo is a great option for handling funds!

Cons

The only thing I can say about Venmo as constructive criticism is that it would be so helpful if you could pay yourself! As a small business that accepts payment through Venmo, it’d be so nice to be able to pay myself from my business account to my personal checking. Other than that, I really think this software is awesome!

CW

Cierra W.

Warehousing, 10,001+ employees

Venmo - 1 CashApp - none

My experience with Venmo was and is exceptional. I haven’t had even one bad thing happen with this app and it’s very reassuring to know your in good hands when doing transactions! Nobody wants to have to worry about where there money is and it’s safe to say that Venmo keeps your money and information secure and protected!

Pros

I loooooove Venmo! My favorite thing is that it’s safe because it’s completely controlled by you and only you! They also have tons of new features like a debit card. Plus they have customer service reps ready to help you with whatever, whenever! So you can send and receive money any time from anybody that has a Venmo account. Why is that special? Because it’s painless and timeless! This is my #1 app for transactions because it gets them done in no time. If your anything like me, I’m always on the go between kids, there sports, and work this app just really speeds things up when I need it most!

Cons

I think the only downside of Venmo for me is that my transactions are public so anybody that has a Venmo account can see them. It’s not bad per se but it’s not something I love.

CL

Cicily L.

Apparel & Fashion, 11-50 employees

Venmo Review

I love that it is really simple to use from offering the expense of a dinner to a companion to paying for products bought from a companion or merchant. No expenses, not all that much or obscure.

Pros

Speedy, helpful installments Allowed to send cash from a financial balance or charge card Low charge for Mastercard installments Can pay for buys at select organizations Offers a check card and a Mastercard Adds a social component to sending and getting cash

Cons

At present, Venmo is just accessible in the United States. Along these lines, don't anticipate utilizing it on any of your impending worldwide voyages. It depends on an informal community of known companions and individuals in close geographic nearness to convey advanced installments. What's another impediment you really want to know about with the application? It's just accessible for individual...

AS

Arpan S.

Events Services, 201-500 employees

Make Easy and Secure Payments : The Ultimate Solution for Your Business's Payment Needs

My experience with Venmo has been highly positive. Using Venmo to facilitate payments at events was incredibly helpful in streamlining the process and allowing guests to make payments quickly and easily. Guests who arrived at our events were able to make payments via their phones or tablets; this convenience allowed us to move through the line quickly and reduce waiting time for guests. Not only that,...

Pros

I absolutely love using Venmo to send and receive money! It's so easy and convenient, making it a great way to quickly send someone money without having to worry about cash or checks. I also really appreciate the security features that are in place with Venmo. They make sure my information is protected and secure when sending payments, which gives me peace of mind knowing that my sensitive data is...

Cons

Venmo has some great features like reminders and payment tracking that help me stay organized. All in all, using Venmo for my transactions makes life simpler!

QK

Quinlan K.

Education Management, self-employed

Venmo review

Overall I absolutely love Venmo. The app is super easy to use and I love using the app for everyday money exchange. Venmo makes everyone's life a whole lot easier as it allows many people to be able to pay each other back super easily, as well as makes the bank transfers super easy and inexpensive. The app is going to be huge for years to come as more and more people use it. I have found that all different age groups all love Venmo, and I expect it to thrive over the next 5 years.

Pros

Venmo is my favorite app for exchanging money, and being able to pay or receive money from friends or co workers. I use Venmo all the time when picking up lunch with a friend or at work when picking up lunch or coffee for other coworkers. The ease of use for the app is amazing. The app is super easy to navigate and also is great for paying friends, because there is no fees like with paypal. The app...

Cons

There is not much to dislike about Venmo. The app is practically perfect, and the ease of use is impeccable. The few flaws I had noticed was that first you need to enter a reason for payment. Sometimes for a quick Venmo I prefer not to have to enter a caption for the transaction, however Venmo requires you to enter something so usually this results with me just putting an animation or picture emoji. Venmo limits are somewhat annoying as well, however they do seem necessary to help regulation.

AB

Amira B.

Education Management, 201-500 employees

The Importance of Having Venmo

My Overall experience with Venmo is amazing. As a user of this software, Venmo has been so helpful in transferring money quickly and safely; especially during the pandemic. Whereas other similar apps are difficult to use, Venmo offers a lot of unique, useful, and easy-to-use features that cannot be found anywhere. It is one of the best digital wallets that I have used so far. However, like many apps, it has some disadvantages that need improvement. Its flaws are insignificant when compared to the advantages it offers. People can use it freely and judge.

Pros

• It offers easy and quick transfers; especially when it comes to paying for gas or food. • It is easy to use, especially for beginners. • Very high customer service, and quick responses within a short time. • Users have to provide profile pictures, which makes transfers more credible and trustworthy. • High privacy. It is controlled by the user only.

Cons

• If someone is in desperate need of money and wants an Immediate transfer, Venmo will require an extra fee. • A low spending limit, which is around 3000$. If a user asked for a higher spending limit, it will be around 6000$ that is still low for many people. • It is not available outside the United States. When someone travels outside The States and needs to transfer money, he will not be allowed to use Venmo. • The privacy default settings allow people to see the user’s transactions unless the user changes them.

VB

Virginia B.

Information Technology and Services, 51-200 employees

Convenient, entertaining, FREE, and fast

Pros

Did you know the root of the word convenient actually stems from the Latin word “ven”? That’s exactly what Venmo is. And the inspiration behind the name Venmo actually came from the word vendo/vendere; the Latin word “to sell”. Venmo is one of my favorite apps, I use on a daily basis. It has served as a lifesaver to me on many occasions when I did not have my wallet or cash in hand. You can transfer...

Cons

If your Venmo account is connected to a credit card you will be charged a small fee when you make transfers between the two. I would not necessarily see this as a fault in Venmo because you still have the free option available to you by using a debit card.