LibreOffice Logo

LibreOffice

Software suite for creating, editing, and managing documents

LibreOffice Reviews

4.3

2.1K

Rating criteria

• Likelihood to recommend8.31/10

Reviews by rating

What I liked best was that it is free software and has a lot to do with application features that are currently only available in the paid application.
It is super easy to write, edit, and save documents. It's simple to use interface makes it so easy to write important documents.
I like that this program is free, and an alternative solutions for Microsoft office. People like that it works just like office does.
I quite dislike the lack of integrations with other products and apps like Microsoft Office does. It just makes your workflow sluggish.
My wife (long-term MS Word user with a Master's degree) struggled finding the functions she needed as opposed to how she did it in Word and got very frustrated.
There are some features are illogical and really hard to find. Opening word documents does not always work well and sometimes LibreOffice deforms the files.

2,184 reviews

Justin S.

Senior DevOps Engineer

Information Technology and Services, 201-500 employees

Great alternative to Office with compatibility getting better all the time

Transcript

Justin: Hi, I'm Justin, DevOps engineer, and I give LibreOffice a big five out of five stars. For more...

Steven D.

Pastor

Religious Institutions, 1-10 employees

Great open source office software

Transcript

Steven D.: My name is Steven. I'm a pastor in the religious service industries, and I rate LibreOffice...

Sully S.

Internet, 1-10 employees

There is no need to pay for productivity

We've saved thousands and never missed a beat. This is a very simple way to move your software spending to a place where innovation actually matters; most of us are using productivity suites in the same way we have for decades.

Pros

LibreOffice is a highly mature, sophisticate, free and open source solution that does everything most companies need in an advanced productivity suite.

Cons

The documentation and help systems could be a little better. Impress and Draw are perhaps at a 95% level compared to Microsoft Office analogs. It would also be nice to see mobile or thin-client offerings develop a bit; these are now left to third parties like Collabra that offer these for a (less expensive) licensing fee. It is also important to remember that cloud storage systems like OneDrive are not bundled with LibreOffice.

Radek T.

Information Technology and Services, 1-10 employees

The new go-to Office suite!

LibreOffice is a perfect alternative for other Office suites. It's opensource, it handles multiplatform collaboration very well, and it's a breeze to switch from any other office suite.

Pros

LibreOffice is unbelievably easy to hop in for a newcomer - no matter what you've been using previously. Because most of us, its users, are probably "switchers", either from MS Office or OpenOffice, LibreOffice not only makes up for the software we've been using before - it also does a lot more, and does it in very intuitive, effective manner.

Cons

I hate the fact that I've hesitated so long to actually try LibreOffice. But after installing it and giving it a chance to shine - it was love from the first sight.

BF

Barbara F.

Research, 11-50 employees

Used other for 2+ years

Great for small group or individual use but not across platforms

As a student, I liked using LibreOffice as an alternative to Microsoft Office, especially if a professor insisted on uploading .docx files to Blackboard or Banner with no alternative file type. However, now that Microsoft is becoming more proprietary, LibreOffice is not keeping up with the features and integration, and much of the formatting that my coworkers prize are lost when uploaded elsewhere, making LibreOffice outdated in our workplace.

Pros

It's free and looks a lot like Microsoft Office. It carries out the major functions: writing a document, creating a spreadsheet, even adding formulas and embedding images. Because it is less bulky than Office, it moves faster and its documents are faster to email. Files can be saved in many formats including .doc. You can open .docx files without paying for a Microsoft license.

Cons

Many features do not open correctly when importing from Microsoft. Formatting, special conditioning, and even many formulas will not import to LibreOffice, so cross-platforming is not possible.

Petr V.

Wholesale, 501-1,000 employees

advantageous variant for microsoft office

I have been using the software in parallel with microsoft office since 2013 and since the older versions I have been satisfied with the functionality of the program, which is definitely clearer than the new versions of microsoft office.

Pros

We use the software on Linux computers (due to faster data processing). The financial savings are great, we saved a significant amount on licenses, which could be invested in other software. Thanks to Linux, another advantage is the processing speed, by which I mean mainly the base and calc program.

Cons

In its current form, version 6.4 can be criticized, the software is completely comparable to Microsoft Office, support also works without problems. The only problem is that employees have to learn it (mostly they know microsoft office).

Eduardo C.

Telecommunications, 501-1,000 employees

A spreadsheet software that interprets data from different software

I solve an essential task in my work, the calculations. I use LibreOffice spreadsheets to create quotation documents, as well as budgets. Also, we benefit from the fact that it is a free software for which you do not have to pay any license.

Pros

LibreOffice is easy to use and allows me to make any calculation easily. This software is essential to manage sales or purchases in my organization, since I can keep all the data sorted. On the other hand, it is free software, so you save a lot of money that costs a license of a spreadsheet software. Also, I also like that it has Excel support, so I can open the same documents in both programs without the documents changing their structures.

Cons

I cannot criticize software that gives me totally free features and that are fundamental to my daily work.

Aminuddin B.

Telecommunications, 1,001-5,000 employees

Free but packed with feature

I mostly are using this software for documentation controlling for our technical operation documentation. Creating various type of document like text and spreadsheet file is doable with this document.

Pros

I really like all the tools for creating a text document that are offered by LibreOffice. No registration needed to start using the software, and the file size is not too big preventing from using much RAM resource from my old computer. Not only compatible with Linux, its also work well with my windows operating computer.

Cons

There are some of the feature that is quite hard to use and totally unnecessary to be included, like the Vlookup tools that i still can configure what exactly the function of this tools.

GERARD IAN P.

Computer Software, self-employed

Used monthly for 2+ years

Libreoffice Is a Robust Set of Office Automation Applications

I like that the LibreOffice software supports several other document types. In particular, an accessible document format called OpenDocument Format or ODF, PowerPoint, Excel, Word, and Publisher formats. The FOSS package is constructed on the foundation of OpenOffice technology, which makes it an efficient heir to the obsolete Open Source Office platform.

Pros

LibreOffice is a robust set of office automation applications that aim to unleash a creative and productivity-driven environment for charitable organizations, homes, companies, and public sector agencies worldwide. And at the end of the day, the office-based suite also delivers a comprehensive portfolio of plug-ins. Furthermore, it offers some layouts that empower end-users to improve the performance of their workflow and generate more documents more swiftly and wisely.

Cons

The user interface can be a little confusing at some points in time. At the same time, it only takes a bit of effort for one to familiarize themselves with the UI.

Abinadi R.

Computer & Network Security, 5,001-10,000 employees

The Best free production suite

Again it is just great it is very simple to use and you can make anything you need. if you are looking for more advanced options you may need to think on one of the pay competitors overall it is an awesome suite for productivity

Pros

LibreOffice is a great solution for any startup company that needs access to an office suite without expending lots of necessary funding in the packet. it will give you all you need to start up and more is simply great and easy to use

Cons

It is getting better with the time however its incompatibility with some of the premium version is not good. often I find myself fixing the documents that I exported from MS Office or Google Docs so if they can fix that it will be a great option even for larger enterprises or not profit organizations

Jacob W.

Computer Software, 11-50 employees

Full Office Suite to Fill Wholes in Paid Office Packages

It's been an excellent go-to office suite to fill in the holes left by anything that is not offered by MS Office, or you don't use often enough in Office to make it worth paying for.

Pros

-The full suite is open source & free -It offers some features not offered in Microsoft Office or Google; for example, the Draw app allows you to edit PDFs and create flow diagrams in an intuitive way simply not found in Office -Opens just about any file type you could think of and is fully compatible with MS Office

Cons

-Interface is a a bit outdated -Some processes of setting things up are difficult to find and not very intuitive to use -Editing PowerPoints or sometimes PDFs changes the formatting, requiring a lot of reworking; however, this is not the case for most files, and I believe this is improving with time.

Kimberly C.

Construction, 1-10 employees

Used monthly for 1-2 years

Almost as good as windows office

My overall experience is great I definitely love the ease of use and it is a overall most if you wanna alternative to Microsoft office or comparable products. I don’t think you can go wrong if you want this alternative. I also believe that it is definitely worth the money.

Pros

I like that you can edit documents with is in one software program and don’t have to download different programs like you would with acrobat. I find that the ease of importing and exporting documents is fast and reliable. There is just as much you can do with us as you would with Microsoft word although the document saving options are a little bit different format.

Cons

Document formatting can be a little bit of a con as you would have to ask for if you want to save as a normal word doc or PDF which is usually the format you need to send to college or business customers. I also do not like play all the tools our group together a little overwhelming to find one thing and go through one section and 10 grades in each section. But overall I would say there is it too much to not like about this house it is great price and exceptional for all kinds of different uses.

EL

Eero L.

Consumer Electronics, 1-10 employees

Great office toolset for those who want to avoid the market leader

I used LibreOffice for all basic "office" work, mainly writing documents and creating spreadsheets. I really like the fact that is so fast and light to use, compared to for example the newest versions of MS Office, which to me seems like getting bulkier every year. I only need the basic features, so I didn't dive really deep into the features. But I am sure that an average user can get very far with LibreOffice.

Pros

The software offers everything that I expect from an "office" type of software combination. It is lightweight, and that is great especially if running on a machine with an older processor or not much memory. Also, there is a certain feeling of "older" MS Office versions, so if you are looking for something like that, this software is a good choice.

Cons

I guess the user interface could be a bit more modern, some like it, some don't. I don't mind. I don't really have any issues or dislikes regarding this software, even though you can't even expect perfection for this price. Overall, great product.

NC

Nickey C.

Computer & Network Security, self-employed

The best alternative to Microsoft Office

My overall experience with LibreOffice has been very positive since this product cost nothing to own and has the same functionality of premium products such as Microsoft Office 365

Pros

LibreOffice has the look and feel of Microsoft Office without the price tag. LibreOffice looks similar to Microsoft word and it's functionality is the same.

Cons

I have no con since this software is free and it works well for everyone that I recommend it to. I would recommend as a MS Office alternative

SC

Sarah C.

Marketing and Advertising, self-employed

A Great, Free Alternative

While it's not likely to be recommended or utilized by your next job, LibreOffice is a solid platform for writing. It's free, easy reliable, familiar, and works offline. It doesn't "share" well, but as long as you can work around that, this is the platform for you .

Pros

LibreOffice lacks the collaboration most people rave about, but if you don't need to work on the same document at the same time as someone else, it's not that big of a drawback. The biggest issue is that it doesn't really crossover or convert to other platforms well and if you try to copy paste you'll lose a lot of your formatting.

Cons

LibreOffice doesn't need an internet connection, which to me is a plus because I don't always want to work online due to privacy concerns. I love that it's free and has a familiar feel to Word or Google docs. It also allows you to create documents as well as edit them, which is sorely lacking in some free writing platforms. It's been around awhile so help forums and online assistance aren't hard to come by either.

IB

Ivor B.

Music, 1-10 employees

Why should you give this amazing software a try!

I use LibreOffice to rewrite some articles I need from time to time or to send inquiries to my clients and send them via mail.

Pros

First of all, the software is free for usage which makes it perfect for work since most of the users of similar programs don't use more than 30% of it's features.

Cons

The cons of LibreOffice are that it's not super snappy as it's competition but regarding the price you won't ever complain. Sometimes the user interface becomes laggy or when I send a document via mail, it displays an empty page at random. I don't know if this has something to do with settings or the software itself. It feels annoying but I really don't care cause I'm super happy with a free software that does the job perfectly well.

Sébastien L.

Computer Software, 1-10 employees

The Best Free and Cross-Platform Office Suite Available, Period

Because there is no need to get a license in order to use it, it has been helpful in giving friends and family members who aren't tech-savvy access to this software on their own computer to be able to work freely on their own projects. It has worked really well on all major operating systems and it is a breeze to help out when something is not going as well as planned, since one file will open exactly...

Pros

LibreOffice has a complete suite of tools that includes a word processor, a spreadsheet application, tools for drawing and presentation as well as a database manager. The word processor integrates flawlessly with other components of the suite: you can easily enter mathematical formulae, insert tables from a spreadsheet or drawings as multimedia files. It can also export to PDF with great results any...

Cons

One has to be careful with the database manager as there are a number of cases of corrupted databases that have been reported. LibreOffice also tries its best to import files that use a format from other popular suites but sometimes, the formatting will not match exactly what is expected, especially with DOCX and XLXS files when special components such as macros are involved. Because it uses Java to...

Financial Services, 1-10 employees

Used monthly for 1-2 years

An excellent suite solution for analysts

We have used Libre Office (and open office, as it was known previously) for a long time. It's a solid product, it does anything you'd expect from a suite and it has all normal benefits or a large open-source offering. It works well, tracks Office suite very closely and exceeds it in important ways. In calc for example it has something like 10-20% more formulas than say Microsoft Excel (though...

Pros

Libre Office has a number of great things not found in other suites, esp in our case but definitely not limited to: * number numerical and mathematical features (esp spreadsheet enhancements over excel) * number of import/export options and document format compatibility * formula editing and charting * also, it's FREE. (and open source, though we do not use or plan to use this aspect, nice it's...

Cons

It's a download. Most software these days is run anywhere from a website, especially if it's end-user facing. However Libre Office being totally free, you have to download it and run locally. It's pretty large (hundreds of MB), but with big drives these days not too much of an issue. You do have to maintain your own backups and updates though, which can be an issue. Also you have to install...

Writing and Editing, self-employed

A solid MS Word alternative

Very fast up time, small footprint, efficient and effective with a familiar interface. I use it for first drafts of my books. I use it alongside MS Office (which has no problem dealing with the files) knowing that if I should ever be unable to maintain my MS licence, all is not lost. Definitely recommended for those who need some serious power without a serious price tag.

Pros

For many people, MS Office is bloated, expensive and a resource hog. While Libre Office doesn't sport all the powerful features of MS Office, as a practical, no-nonsense office suite it can do just about anything you want except the very fancy stuff which, to be fair, few of us use!). For those on low incomes or even those more used to older versions of Office, this is a very efficient alternative with a familiar front end and a much smaller footprint, making it ideal for laptop computers with minimal hard-drive space. It's kept up to date, there are forums where any issues can be highlighted and it does what it says on the tin. If you're looking for an alternative to MS Office that's free and will do the job in most cases, this is the one you want.

Cons

There are features in MS Office full version you won't find here, but as most of us are used to using a Word Processor with occasional forays into spreadsheets, the bulk of users won't miss them. There are, of course, other open source alternatives to those programmes too. The point is, if all you're looking for is the basics, this'll do it and it has the overwhelming advantage of being free (though you can donate if you care to). If you want more, you may have to download others that aren't fully integrated, which is rather more fiddly but is doable.

Medical Practice, 501-1,000 employees

Fast and Flexible Office Suite

I usualy works with sensitive data like patient’s healt data, so i trust this open source easy to use office suite. I work with Zotero Referance Manager, JASP Statistical Software and this applications works well with Libreoffice.

Pros

Libreoffice is very fast, it opens documents very fast like a small picture. This helped me because i sometimes works with up to 20 documents same time in a project. The GUI looks a bit old fashion but it is very flexible. And there is a lot of toolbar alternative. Tabbed toolbar is similar to Microsoft Office. But i use single toolbar mode with some customization. I generally use my desktop with...

Cons

Most important pitfall for me, ooxml format compatibility problems. With Libreoffice 7, this problems decrease a lot. But there are some problems thats still persist. Least liked part of this suite is presentation module. This module developed a lot in years but i can’t use this module easily as the other modules. Writer and Calculator module is much better.

YB

Yevstakhii B.

E-Learning, 51-200 employees

My expirience of use LibreOffice

One of the significant advantages of LibreOffice is that it is free to download and use. This allows to have access to a full-featured office suite without any financial barrier. Additionally, being open-source software means that users have the freedom to modify and customize the software according to their specific needs.LibreOffice offers a suite of applications that cover a wide range of productivity...

Pros

1. Free and open-source: One of the most significant advantages of LibreOffice is that it is free and open-source software. This means that I can download and use it without any cost and have access to the source code, allowing for customization and community-driven development.2. Comprehensive suite of applications: LibreOffice offers a suite of applications that provide alternatives to popular productivity...

Cons

1. User interface and design: I have mentioned that interface of LibreOffice to be less polished or intuitive compared to commercial office suites like Microsoft Office. While the interface is functional, it may not offer the same level of visual appeal or consistency across all applications within the suite.2. Learning curve and documentation: Users who are transitioning from other office suites may...

ML

Manju L.

Information Services, 1-10 employees

Libre Office : They Understand . . . They Deliver.

In my experience, LibreOffice provides an extensive range of features and functions that outweigh any potential downsides. I would highly recommend LibreOffice for anyone searching for a dependable document processing tool, particularly for those interested in utilizing an open-source software.

Pros

LibreOffice has proven to be an excellent choice for our document processing needs. The software's broad range of document support is unparalleled, enabling us to convert text documents to PDF, a critical requirement in today's rapidly evolving business environment.As an open-source software, LibreOffice is continuously being improved and updated, ensuring that it stays up-to-date with the latest trends and features. The transition to using LibreOffice was remarkably smooth, and the onboarding process was relatively effortless.

Cons

With my experience with LibreOffice, I have encountered some areas where the software's functionality can be challenging to navigate. Additionally, I have observed that opening word documents may not always yield optimal results, with the files occasionally appearing distorted or altered in some way.

Hospitality, 51-200 employees

Libre Office Review

One of the most important business problems that I have seen my company resolve by using Libre Office is that we are able to utilize Libre Office at the fullest capabilities and resolve customer tickets much faster; because before it was time consuming to copy the file from the server and paste them in my local PC and then open them via excel, but with Libre Office is FREE to use and downloading the application is simple and fast. I would recommend other users who have not used Libre Office to use it before purchasing other competitor Office applications such s MS office which is pricy.

Pros

Libre Office is free to use on any platform of PC, what I like about Libre Office is that it consist of the 4 major applications that MS Office would charge a fortune in this day in age; Libre Office has word, powerpoint, excel, and Access; In Libre Office the application naming is different they had it at Writer, Calc, Imporess, Base for data base; even though the naming of the application is...

Cons

I have not had any issues using Libre Office

AF

ALEXANDER F.

Computer Software, 11-50 employees

Ideal tool for use in schools and social projects.

It has a completely free office suite, with a simple interface and powerful tools, making it a very viable option for those who do not have financial resources, and intends to use a tool compatible with those existing on the market.

Pros

• Free for all types of users. • Compatible with various types of files, especially Microsoft Office. • Receives constant updates from the developer community. • Anyone can help with the project or adapt it to their needs, as long as they have programming knowledge. • Suitable for those who want to reduce costs and do not need well-prepared documents, nor to edit large files. • Can be installed and used in the portable format without the need for installation on the computer. • The entire LibreOffice interface is standardized, with similar sets, icons and functionality throughout the user interface.

Cons

• It is very unstable and is not recommended for use by companies. • If the user is accustomed to Microsoft Office, the interface can cause strangeness. • It lacked a friendly look to edit advanced document settings, such as styles, pagination and the tool's own settings. • Lack of large, organized icons makes it difficult to locate resources and options, and it has outdated icons. • Graphics, shapes and visual models could be more attractive to better highlight the content. • The tool usually has frequent crashes. Even if you don't damage or corrupt files most of the time, we run this risk.

PC

Paweł C.

Education Management, 51-200 employees

The open source suite, powerful, but with quirks and bugs

Overall LibreOffice has served me well over the years in my work, despite the quirks and occasional issues. Once you get used to it, the workflow is quite efficient and fast. I'm mainly talking about Writer (the word processor module) where I've had issues, but they weren't usually critical. After working with spreadsheets for some time, I've had some critical issues which would have led to loss of data if I hadn't had backup copies. The presentation module (Impress) is the weakest point, I find, as I've encountered a lot of issues despite not using it all that much, and Microsoft compatibility is the poorest.

Pros

First of all, it's a complete office suite with full functionality that is totally free to download and use. It's also very powerful, fast, and has nearly all the features of the likes of MS Office plus a few more. It's also compatible with MS Office (capable of opening and saving MS Office files), though the compatibility is not always 100%.

Cons

A power user may find that some more advanced features do not always work perfectly, and I've encountered some serious bugs in my 10+ years experience with the software. Most of them eventually get fixed, but I've recently had some serious issues with Calc (the spreadsheet module) on Linux, which made me want to switch to something a little more reliable. Another thing is the old fashioned interface which may not be to everybody's taste.

triyoga h.

Computer Software, self-employed

Libre office software is lightweight and helped me with my work when I was working in a multi-financ

I used to use it for a long time in my first job, to access the office calc libre is easier and less heavy when accessing similar products. But there are some differences in the formula used but they are not significant, but in my opinion it is easier and lighter to use the office calc libre.

Pros

Libre office software are light to use on my office computer first. For the needs of processing data, the existing features are quite helpful, and it is very helpful because in one company we use this software, so access to shared file formats is no problem. And in libre office can also open several similar file formats from different similar software. In the office library we can also process data in the form of words, sheets, presentations and others.

Cons

Sometimes I have difficulty accessing file formats from similar software, but only a few, such as the xlsx format from Microsoft Excel, I have difficulty accessing the files, the files do not support. But other needs such as word and presentation support with Microsoft Office. In my opinion, Libre presentation appearance is less attractive, too basic, but the access provided for editing is more or less the same as similar products. Before being able to share online was also a drawback if collaborating with my current business.

RB

Radoslav B.

Computer Software, 51-200 employees

LibreOffice - create your all documents with ease

I have been using the software in my work when I was Junior. On the machine I have been working there was an install of the LibreOffice. I found it pretty cool and useful for some kind of needs. I was able to create some documents and graphics that I needed. I was also able to open MS Office files, which most of our company used - that helped me not to have the need to convert the document in order to open it. I think the software supports small business needs and personal needs - when in school or University. So for everyone with that needs, I pretty recommend it because even it is open software it gives you a lot of features that can make your documents very cool.

Pros

I found it cool because of: 1. It is an open-source software. It is free and you can use it how you want for creating your powerful documents. 2. For me, LibreOffice includes applications that are enough for working - like software for creating documents, presentations, sheets with calculations and creating databases for your needs. 3. Its design is very intuitive - I think this is one of the most...

Cons

I think the product is quite good for its features. However, if you think about using it as for your business needs, I think it won't do your best job. There is no support. There are also no value-added features that can be powerful for your business. However, if you have a small starting business, you can try organizing your documents. Also, it is very cool for study purposes, where you do not need that type of support and many features.