Quip

Docs, tasks, & spreadsheet collaboration with built-in chat

Quip Reviews

Pros

Quip has great integration, it's a great platform for project management and customer service is great.

Claude W.

Quip is a great tool to use for your team when quickly brainstorming and jotting down ideas. It strips itself of unnecessary formatting/UI options and provides you a clean slate to work smarter.

Beautiful UI design and user friendly. Import export functionalities are really good.

Cons

The only small complaint I have is that the text formatting controls are a bit limited. The other problem is how Quip doesn't work well with PDF's.

Suleyman A.

There is often latency issues that we run and some of the syncs are not done properly. It has some problem with commenting.

Some of the features can be hard to locate when switching over from other comparable platforms. Other than that there isn't too much to complain about.

Google Docs on Steroids

Transcript

Jake: Hi, I'm Jake. I'm a senior manager at an events company, and I give Quip four out of five stars....

All your info access anywhere. Collaborate with your team and those on your external team.

I am quite happy with it. The fact that everything is there and it's secure and I'm always adding to it makes it more valuable for me and my team every day. Especially when I can pull up costs or ideas when out and about.

Pros

The way it easily works on mobile and on desktop and you get notifications as soon as someone has done something. Ease of linking documents in chats Having everything available in one place so you don't lose things and get others up to speed quickly. Ability to easily lock people out of the use of a document or not.

Cons

Sometimes it's hard to find an item if you clearly don't label it in the title. - Access to support is a lot harder since Salesforce bought it over. You now have to log in to Salesforce fill in a form to get the support, before you could message support within Quip.

Review for Quip

I am enjoying this tool, and Quip has managed to stand out in this heavily competitive field of online collaboration.

Pros

Quip UI is really smooth, and feels new! it has a good functionality to provide the revision history for the document, which I think is very useful. When multiple folks are simultaneously editing the same document, the revision history for each line provides a very nice view of who changed what. Additionally, Quip has a chat tool embedded in its UI. I use this often to communicate with other folks who are working on the same project.

Cons

I dont have a strong dislike for any of the features, but perhaps one point was it takes significant time for a new guy to get to to speed with the tool and understand all the intricate details. Perhaps the on boarding proceed can be better

Perfect for quick notes

Great tool for quick notes and easy access but not a tool I'd recommend to use over Google Drive or Microsoft Office.

Pros

Cons

While Quip is easy to use, using Quip as a main tool to create spreadsheets or documents is not something I recommend. Exporting a Quip spreadsheets to Excel will export all the information over but leaves you with a lot of manual formatting and editing and becomes unreliable when needing to export something on the fly. This could be fixed if the "Save to PDF" function worked properly, but alas, saving to a PDF does not allow you to format properly and will include the Header rows and columns into the PDF - thus not allowing you to send clean, concise information over to colleagues.

Preferred documentation method

Overall, at work I often prefer Quip over the Sharepoint. The interface is easy to use and allows the largest amount of collaboration and sharing for what we need.

Pros

Quip has all the features we need to collaborate as a team, take quick notes, organize data into tables, charts, etc.

Cons

The font style feature changes the font for the entire page, so you can't change the font for separate words or sections.

An amazing platform to track your ideas

We use quip to track our updates, design documents etc and it has proven to be a really powerful platform for the same.

Pros

1. I love quip as its the only good version controlled platform for taking notes that I have found in my industry experience of over 5 years. 2. Its easy to create public/private versions. I could easily create documents that are public (i.e. outside the firm) and private to me. 3. It is so easy to mark your favorite folders and share it across teams. 4. Its fast. I have found Google Docs to be a bit slower than quip. 5. You could easily import the content into a wiki or a word document with all the formatting intact. 6. You can create an excel sheet (or multiple sheets) in quip itself. 7. Onboarding and gettting used to the platform is really easy.

Cons

1. It behaves odd when creating tables and adding pictures (like indentation sometimes screws up). 2. If you are looking for a platform to create animated documents, quip might not be your friend. It supports basic data representation objects like tables, pictures, worksheets but if you want audio etc, you want to goto powerpoint.

The idea is a great one (the execution is another story...)

Pros

I like that Quip is all about getting teams united around content creation. It has some great features but overall it feels like it's missing something to make it easier for the content to go from within Quip to its final destination (webpage, for example).

Cons

It has all these great features, but it getting it from Quip to wherever it needs to go seems like it was as well thought out. I also experience some situations where the version control goes a little haywire from time to time.

Covers your needs for software development

I like working with Quip, because of the fuss-free UI, it's just a simple slate where you can integrate tasks, spreadsheets, code snippets and many more. You can add comments and have version control. You can have all these capabilities separately from different products, but Quip is special in the sense that you can find all these capabilities in a single product which streamlines your work and saves you time.

Pros

What I like most about this is the code block formatting. I tried different extensions with other similar tools, but the result was never as good as Quip. Quip provides formatting, indenting, etc for multiple languages. If you want to share a code snippet, that's really nice and I haven't seen another product come close. You also have to-do tasks, can set the task owners and the deadlines, which is great for collaboration. You can add spreadsheets for metrics. Another feature I find useful is the access settings. Only the people / group you specify can view the file.

Cons

I think Quip has a lot of room to grow in terms of spreadsheet functionalities. It is enough for me for standard operations, but I'm guessing people who work with Excel / Google Sheets on a daily basis would find it hard to migrate to Quip completely.

Powerful collaboration tool

Productivity, Collaboration, Central repository.

Pros

I use quip mainly to organize my work and collaborate with my team members in documenting feature requirements. Product feature requirements are dynamic - in that, they change often. The ability to have one central location from where all of us can access it makes this a huge time saver for all. It also prevents unnecessary emails as users can chat / comment directly on quip. It also has the ability to create private folders which I use to store work in progress ideas and the ability to restrict access to some files / folders to specific people.

Cons

Quip requires the internet and often I forget that I have to be connected to save changes. Although it has the ability to add spreadsheets, I don't use it much. Also, have noticed when I copy paste code into code-blocks, the pasted content does not fit within the default page-width, but creates a horizontal scroll-bar within the code-block. It's a bit of an irritant to correct that every time.

Quip as a great collaboration and organizing tool

I enjoy working with Quip as it is very easy to use and it has a lot of features and tools not only for time management, project planning it is also very helpful for online collaboration.

Pros

Quip is very easy to use and navigate within the software. Basically, it offers you a never-ending list for your notes (very similar to OneNote for example). You can style these notes with basic formatting similar to MS Word: underline and strikethrough words, make them bold, or change them into italics. You can also choose the size of the words but this is a bit limited. The best thing about Quip...

Cons

The text you are writing is always centered way too much on the page meaning there will be a lot of unused space around your text.

Good online workdoc

Overall it is very positive. We use the workdoc to share ideas and collaborate

Pros

Best thing about this app is that it has a dark interface that allows flawless viewing also it supports all platforms

Quip's An Alternative to Google Docs and Slack

I tested Quip as part of a team effort to find a collaborative tool that we could incorporate across the board. Over the 6 month period that I tested it, I found that while it was functional for the most part as a lot of things, it failed in key areas that we would need it to work including handling large spreadsheets, edit history and connectivity issues. However the price and slow functionality when it comes to bigger documents/spreadsheets leaves much to be desired and as such, it may not be ideal for anyone but bigger organizations that want to cut off multiple communication channels and document tools. Overall Quip is a good alternative to Slack & Google Apps. However it leaves some things to be desired in the looks and function department.

Pros

Quip is a great collaboration tool that is something similar to Slack, Google Docs and Google Sheets all wrapped up into one. My favorite feature is the collaboration tool which allows you to edit documents and discuss them in real time with other users. You can send messages to other users and Quip has a nice way of letting you know whether a user is online or offline. The messages can be sent to...

Cons

If you want to test Quip before deciding, you may not like the requirement for a work email. You need constant internet connectivity to make Quip work, if you find yourself in a place where there is no internet, you may be out of luck to use Quip. While Quip is good for communication, editing and collaborating on big spreadsheets slows the app down and you can find it slows down performance. You are better doing light to medium size documents/spreadsheets. When collaborating documents, versioning and edit history are important. It gets hard to revert to an older copy of a document and it can create some confusion if there are a lot of people looking at the same document.

Easy to use, great for collaborating, aimed at younger professionals

Collaboration, simple cloud-based tool, integration with Salesforce

Pros

It's super easy to start using and is great for shared documents where you need to have multiple people providing input and updates. I like that two people can be simultaneously working on a document without a problem.

Cons

My annoyances with this software stem from the features - what is there and what is not there. One of my biggest gripes is that Quip believes it is "distracting and not necessary" (their words) to have the option of changing the color of the text. I disagree. As a business professional for the past 25 years, I can tell you there are instances where you need to color code text. I recently had a huge,...

Best docu-sharing tool for a team

I would highly recommend Quip to any team needing to collaborate on a lot of documents. It keeps us extremely organized, we love the workflow features, and communication tools. We have tried using Google Drive in the past and have STRUGGLED with the shotty navigation and lack of tagging/communication options. Quip is exponentially better than any other docu-sharing tool we've used!

Pros

Simple user interface and easy to onboard my employees. Quip keeps us very organized and is great for tagging each other in comments and collaborating in single documents. They have a number of workflow features that we've used several times to help manage project timelines, etc. I also love that I can share links to documents so clients can pop in and review without having to be added as a full user. We've reached out to customer support several times, especially during the onboarding process, and they have always been extremely helpful.

Cons

Notifications are a little overwhelming and difficult to manage. Very rarely we've had issues with pages not updating or saving, especially when there is a lot of text that has been copy/pasted.

Good Wiki Alternative

I really like Quip. Having used Confluence and various Wikis, I think this is about as good as it gets. There's room for improvement for sure, but 90% of the time it does what I want and I'm able to communicate what I want to colleagues.

Pros

- Good for documentation - It creates links to any part of the document for easy referencing - The WYSIWYG editor works pretty well - The keyboard shortcuts are good - Embedded spreadsheets are neat (though I don't find I use them that often) - Comment functionality really neat, including the ability to "resolve" comments. - Edit History works well

Cons

- I really hate how embedded images work. It's bordering on impossible to make it look how you want and you'll have to compromise on it looking sort of crappy - The search could use some help - The auto numbered or unordered list stuff is annoying as hell and takes some finagling to get around. If you have a "1." then an image, if you type "2." it'll change it into "1." because it thinks you're starting a new numbered list because of the image. Really annoying. - When I look at the Recently Updated list and click "Mark All As Read" why don't all of them become unread? This annoys me more than it should, but why don't they all get makred Read?!

Quip combines MS Office or G-Suite into one app

Quip was fine, but it is redundant to both MS Office and/or G-Suite and there is no need for all of these. It was fine, but the ability to have different doc types was alright, but not that needed.

Pros

Quip allowed an easy format to combine multiple document types into one document. It was also great to document sharing across multiple parties and the related and needed tracking or changes, comments, notes, etc.

Cons

The storage / saving and file structure was odd, and the ability to create secure directories vs sharing with everyone was not always clear. Also, the embedded spreadsheets in word docs was ok - but not great. The generalization did not have the same capability as each dedicated system.

Quip - a super nice collaboration tool

To be simple, we really like this easy to use collaboration tool.

Pros

So easy to collaboration with colleagues, and for family. Get everything together rather than individual files everywhere. "Word", "Excel", "Powerpoint" lite versions, so easy to use, whatever you want. With google account integration. No hassle for account management. You certainly don't expect it to be super powerful, but it is good enough for our purpose.

Cons

Logic of files arrangement a bit confusing. If you are coming from traditional file system. You may need sometime to get used to it. Moving files around is not that easy, especially if you want to manage multiple files at the same time. It used to be annoying that recent editing panel shows up every time you open the application. Recent updates fix this problem.

Quip is my one app to create, organize, and collaborate in almost all kinds of documents.

Pros

It's very easy to collaborate on a document. You just add people to it. All the changes are logged so you can see all the things that happen to your document. You can also create all kinds of documents on Quip, from the everyday text document and spreadsheet to the specific kanban board and project tracker (with a little help from Live apps).

Cons

The app lacks the ability to add tags - which will be very helpful to further organize the documents. It also doesn't hurt to add the font-customization feature so that users can set the look and feel of the working environment to their liking.

Quit passing email and documents around!

I have a small staff who needs to work together at various times, and usually not in person. We've tried a handful of options (dreaded e-mail chains, Google drive, slack, OneNote, Trello), with varying degrees of success. But when you get right down to it, the majority of our conversations where revolving around documents. With Quip, that is exactly how this is designed. It is a live document...

Pros

VERY intuitive interface. My staff is resistant to change, and they picked up on this software immediately. Looks good on the web, great on my desktop, and awesome on my phone! Customer support is astounding. Hit the chat window and someone is there immediately.

Cons

Very minor detail here - more of a feature enhancement request. It would be great to tie in some sort of task management, e.g. something with due dates that alert you.

Great way to collaborate

Pros

Very easy document creation that live updates to all users as you create them. No more messing around uploading and downloading documents. Documents have lots of options like spreadsheets tables charts, images and other apps that can be inserted into any doc. You can also manage folders and share them with specific groups of people, so you might have a folder for employees which has all your procedures on it and a separate knowledge base for customers. For free its hard to find a better product

Cons

I would like to see the ability to copy documents between different quip accounts. I'd also like to see direct connections to excel of numbers, to give some more power to some of the features

Good for smaller groups.

Pros

I love how Quip allows you to create both shared and private documents. The language feature is really great (i.e. it is completely functional in Spanish). The folder system is really helpful and is easy to be organized, even with different groups. You can comment on the documents, tag people, and even comment on photos. All changes are tracked.

Cons

Once we got to be a much bigger group, it became less functional because you cannot directly access Google Suite with it. We needed to expand more, and Quip didn't allow for that.

Equipped with Quip!

We use quip to share files among members and teams in our organization and I love how we could easily update and access them from anywhere especially on the mobile as well, it makes collaboration way too easy.

Pros

The design and layout is superb, I specifically love how you can folders visually and it is attractive. Being able to color code them makes organizing files and projects shared across teams more effective.

Cons

Not all file types are supported like scripts, I would have to just upload it as a textfile with the scripts if I wanted it on quip.

Google Docs on Steroids

We have rolled Quip out to multiple departments and teams over the past few years.

Pros

Continuing improvement in the feature set. The software was good when we started using it 2.5 years ago. However, the improvements continually made month after month have really made the product shine. We really get use out of the full index/searching capability.

Cons

A few basic things that would mimmic Excel functionality, like the ability to freeze columns on mobile, or hide rows/columns on both the desktop and mobile.

Quip and Quip for Salesforce

Quip is a great addition for any company with its easy to use style of collaboration and flexibility in security and structure. I'd like to see a lot more training videos on how to leverage Quip for things like Project Management to plant those seeds and help companies grow and realize the full potential of this application.

Pros

Salesforce recently added Quip to it's suite of products and we couldn't be happier. We have been searching for a project management application as well as a solution for sharing documents and data while not housing inside our Salesforce org, due to storage limitations. We see Quip as being that all in one application that can solve many of these needs in our organization. It is powerful, flexible, offers free and paid apps like a project management app and allows for flexibility with security of files and folders. Not to mention the live chat and collaboration features it offers. A great all around solution for anything you can't already solve in your standard Salesforce Org.

Cons

I have requested several specific demos from our sales team so that we can more fully realize what Quip can do to meet some of our more basic needs. We've been given links to sales demos which don't address our specific needs. Once we get an idea on what we can do with it and how, it will drive more ideas and creativity for our team, we're just having a hard time getting started.

All in one platform to manage the entire documents and other tools in a single platform

We have increased the productivity of our employees and thus our core goal of high productivity is achieved.

Pros

We really like Quip the way it is built as the platform itself acts as a source to maintiain all the tools like docs, chat etc. in this single app itself. Quip is the best way to manage all the different tabs under one window. The major hike is with the single window system where all the needed plugins are added and can be managed. Quip is the one and only platform to simplify the user burden of maintaining multiple apps and multiple windows.

Cons

The UI is very hard to understand at the first time and for newcomers.

Best collaboration software i've used!

Pros

Quip makes it incredibly easy to collaborate with others on shared document writing. I work with a number of people who may not easily adopt new software, and Quip's simple and familiar interface allow them to begin working quickly and without fear. I lead teams of 15+ people working on the same projects, and can easily monitor progress and who is editing what!

Cons

I have very few cons for Quip - most of which would be a desire to see more features, although this would likely come with the trade off that it would become more complex. No real complaints for me.