All categories

Buddy Reviews

Rodrigo A.

Mark B.

Read the full review
Seamless, beautiful and rock solid. Definitely my choice when deploying Github repositories.

Read the full review

Cons

It looses some configurability with the web interface.

William R.

Read the full review
Might miss some integrations, or some integrations that weren't really up to speed with the average.

Oliver K.

Read the full review
It also fixed problems we had because in our previous deploy process we were unaware when a deploy failed and unable to recognize which servers were and weren't up to date.

Read the full review

Makes it ridiculously easy to build and maintain complex CI/CD pipelines

Pros

The unique and intuitive way we can interact with it. It is a complete platform that's also very simple to use, so simple that setting up any new pipeline usually takes ten minutes tops. At our company, we use multiple Buddy actions, such as: File transferring (SFTP), performing Status Checks for CR, building and pushing Docker images, establishing containerized environment for tests and setting up K8s deployment images. And we are pretty happy with our overall experience with Buddy.

Cons

Price, maybe? IIRC, it's a little more expensive than alternatives but I think it's worth it in the end.

A must-have automation tool for the non-IT professional

Overall my experience has been absolutely amazing. I have been able to deploy multiple technology stacks to multiple different environments, integrate PHP unit testing, check my applications' up-time, all while viewing everything in a single interface. Buddy has numerous 1st-party integrations to various platforms and tools to get you started very quickly. But what I have found invaluable is the tools that are made available for developers to create/customize their own integrations via cURL or SSH.

Pros

Buddy makes automation easy for developers who are not IT administrators. Unlike that of some of the other automation platforms, the available presets and hints that each pipeline comes with allows you to develop and customize your deployments and testing with very little learning curve. I would say that I love the user-interface and user-experience the most. The visual representations and animations make the tool feel more complete and polished than some of the competitors.

Cons

Unfortunately I would say that I like least is the cost. As both a full-time developer and a freelance developer, Buddy can provide services to developers of all disciplines. However as a freelance developer who sometimes has to work on a pretty strict budget, some of the entry-level pricing tiers can be a bit steep on a monthly basis.

Best CI on Cloud platform.

Overall its a great tool to integrate CI and since everything is connected very well, it can do magic during the complex deployment process.

Pros

Its very easy to set it up and get it going. My favourite is the UI.

Cons

There is no proper documentation or training videos on this tool. Though its easy to setup some part of it, sometimes its really hard to find the help and configure something custom.

CI/CD made easy

People usually complain about paying for something they can make themselves. Buddy has freed up a lot of time for everyone in the organization by removing the technical skill and knowledge of Buddy configuration. The time saved is WORTH every penny!

Pros

The UX is so simple yet so powerful that anyone can create pipelines. Even our non-technical users understands the software and create pipelines to automate their needs from the code.

Cons

The cap of concurrent runs is set to 4 on self-hosted. Even though the wait time is pretty low, it's still annoying when we deploy large amount of microservices.

Rock solid

Buddy couldn't have come sooner for us. It has solved all of our problems and now allows us to deploy in a variety of complexities in no time at all.

Pros

- Very regular software updates, adding great new features all of the time - Decent UI that allows us to do everything we need. YAML configuration available to those who don't want it - Sensibly priced, self hosted option for those who want to keep it in-house - Good integration with all of the tools we use and more

Cons

- We have to manually renew our LetsEncrypt SSL through the CLI tool on the server - Hardware requirements can be a little high if using Docker, but that's more of a Docker problem than Buddy

Silver bullet for automating CI/CD

Love the tool definitely, Github Actions is getting there, but not even close yet. 100% recommended.

Pros

The integrations is by far the best feature of Buddy. it connects you with literally everything, Amazon, Google, Github, Slack, etc, etc, etc On top of that it allows you to run literally anything in their cloud.

Cons

Not so much about the pricing structure, I'm paying $200 and it seems that I could get more

Indispensable tool

Pros

We used DeployBot for the longest time but we just had so many inexplicable issues and frustratingly timed downtime along with slow response times. Buddy has wiped the floor on all of these points. It takes a much more user focussed approach to deployment, giving you all the bits and pieces needed to construct a deployment/build system exactly how you need it. The way DB dictated a build system to...

Cons

There are some minor edge case features I'd like to see, it doesn't tick every single possible box, but this is really so minor as whatever I'm referring to can be achieved somehow with thought.

Details matter

I use Buddy to manage break-fix software deployments around the globe from various code repositories.

Pros

You won't find a DevOps cloud service that offers as many supported operations, actions and events as Buddy. I use their systems daily and have been thrilled with how well it works. When a tech issue arises, their support has been absolutely stellar even when the issue was my fault and nothing to do with their systems.

Cons

There just isn't any reason not to use these guys

Powerful tool

I was responsible to always compare the code before applying on production and BuddyWorks allows me to save time every day. Your interface is beautiful and easy to use. With a few clicks, you can create powerful pipelines.

Pros

BuddyWorks allows us to create useful pipeline. You can even pipeline with approbation and testing.

Cons

Maybe some aspects of the interface. The cards from each project are too big. If these cards would be smaller I could see all my projects and groups without scrolling the windows.

After moving around we found our CI tool

We have been using it for almost 2 years and it's been great. Now we have 66 configured projects and the structure of pipelines makes it easy for us to maintain all these projects at once.

Pros

Really customer focused, good and fast support, easy to use and its always improving fast with new features. It just wotks :)

Cons

It can be expensive if you need a lot of parallel jobs running. The support with the devs is not 24/7.

Buddy Works

It just works. With very little setup and maintenance the solution just works. Features are intuitive, controls are plenty, and the UI is beautiful. I started with the free self-hosted version, and have continued with both the cloud and self-hosted on various teams. The various price points are great for getting the entire Git workflow organized for your team.

Pros

- The filesystem access to debug builds and their artifacts - The Dockerized containers for each action that share the filesystem - The many ready to go actions that can be added to any pipeline - The ability to have multiple pipelines running on a given project - The ability to tag and organize repositories into folders

Cons

- Requires a lot of memory for the self-hosted variant - Inability to use slashes to group repositories under namespaces

Easy way to get a business up and running with a build tool

Since that the javascript world started almost requiring a build process to keep up to date with the language while supporting older browsers, our company struggled to integrate this in our daily work. So we started looking for build tools for a company that hasn't used any before and many developers who didn't really knew what it was. Buddy being so easy to use and set-up helped a lot in getting the...

Pros

It is very easy to get started with, intuitive. No real need to familiarize yourself with how the tooling works. We could quickly get pipelines up and running to test with and didn't need to spend much tweaking and fixing the build process. Our first intuition on how we should set it up was spot on. We could very quickly move from the initial test to using it in production. Because of the simple look...

Cons

The only con I can come up with is the price. We need to use the on-premise/enterprise version and that one is quite expensive to start with and has a hefty mark-up when you pass one of the pricing stages. The price doubles when you go from 10 to 20 or 20 to 40 users which hurts a little when you are adding your 11th or 21th person to the team.

Run CI/CD without headache

Buddy is the easiest CI/CD solution I could find. Frankly it wasn't me finding it but a friend front-end developer showed me how to use it. This means you really don't need to be an old school open source ninja or DevOps hipster to run a CI/CD for your project. Just put together the build pipeline and get running in minutes.

Pros

It's so easy to get the on premise install running. It really takes minutes to get the software configured. Building the deployment flow, aka pipeline is very intuitive. The UI will even give you hints about next steps in the pipeline. You want to get things more complex? No worries - tons of integrations are at your service. Starting from simple FPT/SFTP deployments, through deployment time script...

Cons

For the standalone edition some may find Buddy a being a black box. It could be difficult to get you hands dirty on internals of the system. If you're used to get control on every detail you may find the Buddy UI limiting you.

Easy to Use & Beautiful UI

Buddy is the easiest CI/CD solution I could find.

Pros

The interface is very intuitive and easy to use. With a few clicks you can create a deployment pipeline easily. There is a lot of built-in actions that connect with many services. Even if when we can't find what we need, its integration with Docker Hub is really helpful so we can setup our own custom Docker image. As it works on docker, it is easy to install and manage.

Cons

User administration is sometimes confusing. When there are new users, they may not be able to access some old projects even if they have been added to the group that have access to this project and must be authorized individually.

Easy deployments

We use Buddy Works to deploy new updates of LMS-kind software to our development and production servers in real-time

Pros

This service is a beast, from the way you start configuring your pipeline from an existing repository and all the available actions to the fully specified real-time log of the executed actions, the ability to clone existing pipelines and the analytics provided and the possibility to rollback

Cons

The only thing that we didn't like was the quantity of projects that you can have in the free version but that doesn't justify the overall quality of the service

Great product!

Great product, I started to use it about a year ago and looking forward into new features, recommended to few friends with startup and they love it. Very nice design and many visual integrations. Had some issue with billing as I was not able to add person to company just for billing purposes. Other than that everything is great, good work!

Pros

- awesome design - many integrations - fast - pipelines

Cons

- can not add a billing person to account

Automate the deployment of your application

I use buddy for the simplest tasks like uploading GIT files to FTP without needing to configure anything on the destination server. It is very useful when you do not have SSH access or you just do not want to program complicated scripts.

Pros

Buddy offers an advanced automation experience with a basic knowledge requirement. Thanks to its multiple integrations you can get great automations with just a few clicks. You can create multiple pipelines to manage all the necessary processes to run your application. Upload files to multiple servers, compile applications, send notifications, etc. Undoubtedly Buddy is a very interesting tool to save time without having to develop large and complicated manual integrations.

Cons

If your pipeline does things that need a long execution time, Buddy can give a timeout and leave the task halfway.

Hello! We are glad to hear that you like our product. If you are facing issues with timeouts it would be best to contact our support. Knowing the full context we might provide you with a solution.

By far my favourite automation tool..

As a developer diving into Ops very often I have tried a numerous amount of deployment services and methods. Buddy really stands out and really offers users a lot of value. Currently I use both Jenkins and Buddy on a daily basis. Personally I think Buddy is much easier to use!

Pros

The user interface is really easy to understand, allowing people with different skill-sets to use it. They have an enterprise version that you can launch effortlessly on the AWS/Google cloud market places and manage yourself, but for smaller clients you can just use the SaaS version. On top of all the available actions, it's so easy to just pull down a docker image to do whatever you need. This opens the door to a lot of custom actions.

Cons

Nothing comes to mind. I've had a issue or two with the sandbox functionality but their support is really quick so nothing to complain about.

Easy to use, Empowers teams

As mentioned in our positives, our business use case was to simply set up deployments and build pipelines without the hassle whilst also empowering our team of developers and project managers. There are obviously ways to do this on the servers but the management of this requires a lot more work and knowledge of dev ops.

Pros

The obvious positives for us about Buddy are how simple it is to use and pick up. The interface is really nice and makes everything point and click set up. We also really like how easy it is to set up users and limit them to various projects or actions. We have really been able to empower our development team even to a junior level. Last the integrations with Slack and Github have enabled us to notify the whole team when a deployment fails or succeeds.

Cons

If Buddy is down for maintenance (this is extremely rare and also only for a few minutes usually) it can delay our deployments waiting for it to be back up. This isn't even a complaint really but more that it's the only small negative we can think of.

Buddy review

Pros

Flexibility. We use it to deploy anything from web apps with Vue.js, server-side applications with Laravel, WordPress and Node without any issues.

Cons

Lack of documentation to set up automated tests. I'd like to run unit tests with Jest, so it would be great if there was clear examples on how to do so and fail a deploy on failed tests.

The tool of tools

Pros

I love working in my terminal, but when the UX/UI of a product is as good as this, I love working in a GUI too. The UI is completely intuitive and very fun to use. From a functionality point of view, the system is incredible. Being able to quickly spin up very complex builds & deployments, and then tie in all sorts of notifications is a dream come true. YML is fine, but being able to tie in all these steps with a visual pipeline editor/builder, is a treat and I thoroughly enjoy using it.

Cons

It's expensive. It's worth every penny, but its still a lot of pennies to pay every month for a small team / freelancer. There is a free plan, but you'll quickly hit the 120 builds per month limit.

Simple and Elegant Deployment Tool

As a dev agency with over 100+ websites, Buddy has made it simple to deploy to production/staging servers with ease.

Pros

Ease of use! If you're not into writing configuration code, Buddy has an excellent GUI setup that guides you through deployment setups.

Cons

Transfering repositories from GUI setup to a .yaml setup can be a hassle if buddy doesn't pick up the new buddy.yaml file. I'm probably doing something wrong though.

Buddy - The easiest CI/CD tool by far

Our development flow is fully automated with buddy. That helps the team a lot, and saved me tons of time, since it was done by me manually. We also use it to deploy production applications, with easy. Buddy is also used to deploy to firebase hosting. We have some use cases where we just need to serve a json with the project version, and this json is created used buddy pipelines, extracting the project version from the repository.

Pros

Buddy is really easy to set up and start using as a CI, CD or DevOps tool. I've tried other tools in the past to help on CD processes but I always had a hard time to get somewhere. With buddy I created the first pipeline in minutes and it helped me a lot, since I was the only one who was deploying applications in the company.

Cons

I love buddy :) I don't remember any cons.

Ease of use and reliability

Pros

Buddy.works has made our deployment process a lot faster and easier.

Cons

Would like a way to group projects together.

Takes a load of your mind

Overall, very good. We've had a few little niggles here and there but support has solved them within a day or two at most. I love the fact that I can create and deploy a new microservice in under 30 minutes!

Pros

Once you've configured your standard deployment patterns in yml format, you can simply check any new projects into your SCM and then tell Buddy to create a new project from it. From there, Buddy will pick up your predefined pipelines and GO! AWS integration is a simple single set up for the entire org acc, no need to each user to have their own access keys stored in Buddy. As we don't have a DevOps team at our company, deployments are taken care of by the teams. Buddy makes is easy to create, edit and manage these deployments.

Cons

The concurrency based pricing. I would prefer if pricing could be calculated based on actual resource usage as I assume all the build servers are most likely Fargate or scaled EC2 clusters. In any case, being restricted on concurrency per subscription can be a little annoying, especially on deployment days where I may need to release 10 services simultaneously, but I can only do 2 at a time... each taking around 5 minutes for full blue/green deployment. This means it can take up to an hour to deploy 10 services, where as ideally I want them all deployed within 10 minutes.

Select your country

10+ YEARS RECOMMENDING SOFTWARE

© 2010-2021 GetApp. All Rights Reserved.