All categories

ACCOUNTS Reviews

Krista K.

My charity boards are very impressed with the reports too - easy to understand and quick to produce. I would (and have) absolutely recommend this program to anyone - it is great.

Diane M.

This software is a fabulous accounting program - very easy to use, easy to understand and simple to provide reports that are clear and concise.

Cindy P.

Phyllis R.

Cheryl S.

Sheldon B.

4.7

Saves me so much time!!

When I became the volunteer treasurer of our church we switched from Excel to a big name accounting software that cost several hundreds of dollars. For the first year I was miserable. It was not intuitive and support cost extra money, which we didn't have. When it came time to file our T1030 with the CRA, I was even more miserable. It took me 4 months to unravel 12 months of transactions and sort...

Cons

For those in the U.S.A., the CRA referred to is the Canada Revenue Agency, and the T3010 is the annual report all churches and charities have to submit to the CRA. ACCOUNTS can just as easily associate its accounts with lines on the IRS' form 990 or 990-EZ, for those charities that have to submit that one annually.

Review of Accounts Program from Software4Nonprofits

Pros: Entering cheques and deposits can be done in a window similar to a cheque book; sample chart of accounts available for churches; low cost; it is possible to recall a prior reconciliation; fund accounting a real help; simple program for a small organization. Cons: Program design assumes the user has an understanding of bookkeeping and debit-credit balance sheets; would like some simplified reports showing main category totals. Overall Impression: Our Unitarian Fellowship was using Quicken to keep track of our cheques & expenses, which was simple but not complete enough to keep track of different funds. We were already using the Donation software developed by the same company and were very happy with that program.

Cons

You do need a bit of accounting understanding to use ACCOUNTS. The Help topic "ACCOUNTING CONCEPTS" gives you some of that. In the vast majority of the program, you don't see the words "debit" or "credit". For instance, the register-style transaction entry window for an asset account such as a bank account has columns for a Payment amount or a Deposit amount. You do need to use debits and credits...

Excellent Product!

As treasurer of a small non-profit corporation in the U.S., I spent quite a bit of time searching for the best software to replace my old spreadsheet system. I had assumed that QuickBooks would be the solution, but soon realized that, in spite of its claim to support non-profit accounting, it really did not. I downloaded the 60-day free evaluation version of ACCOUNTS and tested it with several months...

Cons

Excellent program - made with the "unprofessional" in mind - but does a "professional job."

Pros - Chart of accounts is well organized from an accounting point of view. Adjustments can be made on the fly without jeopardizing integrity of information. Data entry is logical and done easily. Good options for ready-made reports. Imports data from other programs making transition less onerous. Can't beat the price and the support! Cons - Limited capabilities for payroll and for large corporations.

Cons

To be clear, the only normal import from other programs (like QuickBooks) is of the chart of accounts. It cannot import past transactions from them, and you really wouldn't want to. That's because the way ACCOUNTS "thinks" about fund accounting (which is much more natural than anything you can do in general-purpose programs like QuickBooks) would make many of the transactions from other programs incorrect...

Calvin United Church Treasurer

I ahve been using Accounts for one year and find it very user friendly. At first I had a problem getting everything in order but once I had everything in order it was very easy to work with. The reports are very clear and show all the information required. Entering cheques and deposits are very easy . One problem is entering the account numbers you have to go through all the numbers till you get to the one you want. When you have to enter a new account number it is very easy. The tax box is great to use when enetring payments. If HST is part of the payment clicking on that box automatically posts the correct tax . I would recommend this program to anyone looking for a new one to use.

Cons

In terms of entering account numbers, you can use the account names instead. Pressing the first letter of an account name re-sorts any account drop-down list into alphabetical order, showing the first one with that as the first letter of its name. That will usually be much faster than scrolling to find an account number. You also can choose not to display account numbers in data entry windows at all, if you don't wish to see them.

User Friendly Software

When I started my bookkeeping business I was very disappointed in the lack of accounting software that was tailored to the Nonprofit business. I tried Quickbooks Pro for Nonprofits and found it to be very cumbersome and it did not support the Fund Accounting concept. Another software I reviewed was very expensive and did not perform to my level of expectations. I desperately searched the internet...

Cons

Great program for volunteers!

As a volunteer treasurer for several charity groups, I had not previously used any accounting software - too intimidating. However, that was time consuming and not very practical. I was already using Donation so I was happy to look at this program. It has made such a difference in my work! It did take me a bit of time to set up and fully understand, but the support was superb. It is so easy to enter transactions, reconcile accounts and create reports - and I know there is more I could do with it as I gain confidence. My charity boards are very impressed with the reports too - easy to understand and quick to produce. I would (and have) absolutely recommend this program to anyone - it is great!

Made My Job Much Easier

I am the treasurer for a mid-sized church and had been keeping the books using an excel spreadsheet for years. It was at times very tedious especially at year end. I am thrilled with the ease of use that this software provides. I especially like that it is easy to go back and correct errors, print a variety of reports and integrate the information from Donations (a sister software tool). I have been using it for 10 months and have not encountered any bookkeeping task that it doesn't do. Dan, the developer was very helpful during my setup phase by guiding me through the steps that I was unclear about. Thanks for making my life as a treasurer so much easier.

NICE APPLICATION

Pros

FEATURES OF THE SOFTWARE WERE THE BEST PART

Cons

THERE IS A NEED FOR IMPROVEMENT IN SUPPORT SYSTEM

Thank you for this review. However, given that you chose to post anonymously, it is not possible for us to check our records to see what support requests you might have made of us. Most users find our support to be very good, so the comment about "a need for improvement in support system" surprised us. If you could contact us directly about this comment we would certainly appreciate it so we could understand where our support let you down in this case.

Nice Program

This program is very good balance between the need for fund accounting and the simplicity to allow a person with only a bit of experience to manage and report on the operations of the church. The linkage between accounts for church/not-for-profit reporting to the charity return for Canada Revenue Agency has saved me a ton of time. One printout and my annual filling is done. It handles GST and HST very well. The interface is a little cumbersome where certain buttons are available but when you go to use them, you are told you have to access the information in another way ("Common Transactions" - "Use Register").

Happy Customer

Generally very happy with the program and support is A+!

Pros

Easy to navigate, and the support when needed and quick response is most helpful. I had concerns about a couple of features and was able to correspond with them easily and quickly to get answers.

Cons

I'm a bit old school and would like to print out the entry to have a hard copy of what was entered, especially when there is no actual Invoice given for an expense, but this is just my preference and apparently isn't a common thing people like to do or ask for.

Great Software

I purchased Accounts last January and finally got the nerve to try it in March. Once I set up my Chart of Accounts it was a breeze. I like the fact that if I allocate an expense to a wrong account I can go back months later and change the wrong account number. I am looking forward to less work at year end, and an easier Charity return. Dan is always available either by phone or on line to help and I have had several updates. I highly recommend the program for non-profits.

Cons

Everything we need, nothing we don't

Easy to track different funds in one checking account, easy to print reports and track expenses.

Pros

Nothing flashy, very practical, straight forward, easy to use accounting software for our small church.

Cons

Can't think of anything that I don't like...

A Simple Fund Accounting Solution for Non-Profits

Pros: Easy to Use, 5 star Customer Support, Fantastic Price Cons: Limited Budget functionality Overall: ACCOUNTS is a powerful fund accounting solution, that is really ease to setup and use. I would recommend to reviewed for any church or non profit looking for a new accounting solution. Their customer service is extremely responsive and has exceeded my expectations.

For a small church

We have used this programme pretty well since its inception and have found it perfect for our needs. We especially appreciate the manner in which the GST and Quebec Sales taxes and amounts refundable are handled. Its simple and user friendly. We recommend it to anyone doing charity accounts.

Great Software

This software is very easy to use and it allows you to enter data quickly and easily. Reports are very easy to produce. I have used quickbooks and found it difficult at times, Accounts is by far an easier program to use and I would recommend this to anyone.

Great Software

The Software4Nonprofits is dream come true. It is helping me to get over the nightmare of Tax Return for Non-Profits in Canada. I really like that it is easy to use. Thanks to Dan Copperstock!

Cons

Accounts Software is Excellent!

Software4Nonprofits

Easy to use. Excellent support. It could only be better if there was support for currency exchange. I love the low cost!

Cons

This reviewer only left a rating