Expensify Reviews

Expensify

Automated expense management

4.46/5 (744 reviews)

Pros
  • I love the ease of manually creating receipts and adding them to Monthly reports. The organization options are great for when it's time to file taxes.Verified ReviewerRead the full review
  • As a user, expensing is super easy with Expensify, added on the phone app you can upload receipts and send for approval all from the comfort of wherever you are at the moment.Verified ReviewerRead the full review
  • Love the ease of use and intuitive nature of the software. Their Help and customer support functions are simply the best.Verified ReviewerRead the full review
Cons
  • The upside is that you can edit data if necessary, so it's really only a problem in rare instances. Other than that, I really don't have any criticism for Expensify.Ben B.Read the full review
  • I had a technical error, maybe it was my mistake, because it didnt happen to any of my other collegues where the expense trip report closed automatically.Shoaib S.Read the full review
  • To be honest I have yet to find anything wrong with Expensify or any issues. Time will tell if the notifications can become bothersome or an annoying issue but we shall see.Verified ReviewerRead the full review
recommended this to a friend or a colleague
Jeff Scott

Awesome software!

Reviewed 2019-10-19

Overall, it has been very pleasant. The staff reply to email questions quickly and work hard when there are errors.

Pros
As an approver of expenses, it is easy to reject wrongly submitted lines and tell the staff why. It is easy to approve and reimburse! They work hard to keep all major credit cards connected.

Cons
While it would be nice, it is hard to connect to every possible credit card and bank. My personal bank credit card does not connect for auto import.

Nate Prokuski

Expensify Expense Tracking

Reviewed 2019-08-14

I originally used this software because it was the most straight forward "fool proof" software that allowed me to manage and track several employees travel expenses and business mileage and keeping it as simple as possible for the employees. By implementing this software into our expense tracking, our employee's no longer have to worry about paperwork and keeping track of physical receipts so long as they take a picture of it in Expensify.

Pros
The feature that won me over is the softwares ability to extract the necessary relevant information from a picture of the receipt and its reliability to accurately create an expense entry automatically. The other feature that really stands out is the dedicated email address you have to send receipts to the app. This feature is great because of rules i have established in outlook so that any "receipts" from certain companies automatically gets forwarded to my Expensify account.

Cons
Occasionally, when I was trying to submit a few large reports the app would freeze up on me. Otherwise I cannot think of any negative experiences I have had with Expensify.

Mark Brandstein

Good Product - Truly Awful Onboarding and Support

Reviewed 2020-05-05

While the product is good if you don't have any complications, the onboarding and support are probably the worst I have ever experienced. After a brief training session, there is no longer any phone call support allowed (only email and chat and the delays could be many hours and often days). More recently with the COVID-19 situation, their usage has plummeted so they recently announced a doubling of pricing (100% increase) to all users if they don't switch to using their credit card which for many companies (including ourselves and including reasons like the cc syncing problem) will not work. The message about the price increase was hidden in a very very long email from the CEO titled something about support improvements.

Pros
It is easy for the end user to use, particularly given the mobile app. It has a lot of good controls and notifications for potential user errors or abuses.

Cons
The credit card sync features often don't work or are significantly delayed (days, weeks if at all) which causes unintended reimbursements for non reimbursable expenses and messed up accounting.

Likelihood to recommend: 3/10

Anonymous

Expensify overcharges for their "Corporate" platform and becomes useless once your bank feed breaks.

Reviewed 2018-01-31

Was ok and saved time, before it broke.

Pros
Ease of launch, mobile app works decently well. Onboarding support was decent, but sadly short-lived. They still offer monthly pricing. If you're tempted to try their Corporate or higher plan, DO NOT sign on to their annual pricing plan, see below for why.

Cons
Google "expensify known issues". Review the list of the corporate cards that they don't support. Be aware that they are not disclosing the many other corporate cards that their platform doesn't support. If you're lucky enough to use one of the corporate cards that they are currently supporting, be aware that their connection to your bank feed can break at any time. Generally, this will happen after your promotional period has ended and after your onboarding support contact has moved on. Once the bank feed breaks you're left with only chat support, which will take an average of 12 hours or more to respond to you. When chat support responds, it's clear that they are pasting from support scripts that have no relevance to your situation. Most responses will assume you're on a Team plan, and initially offer troubleshooting steps aimed at those clients. You'll have to explain that you're a Corporate client. Once you explain this, you'll wait another 12 hours for a response from someone who hasn't read the prior communication chain and you'll have to explain yourself again. this sort of back-and-forth goes on for some time. Eventually you'll get them to admit that the only work-around for a broken corporate card bank feed is a manual CSV import through each individual's account. Don't expect any meaningful response or acknowledgement if you bother to question the fees you're paying for broken corporate access. They will not listen and will not offer any discount or refund.

Response from Expensify

Hi there, thank you for leaving your feedback! I apologize for the issues you've run into but definitely want to clarify a few things:

Re: corporate card connections. Bank connections may break for any variety of reasons, including (but is not limited to) bank maintenance, connection issues, changes in usernames/passwords, and more. Unfortunately most of these are out of our hands, but we do keep an updated list of known issues here: https://docs.expensify.com/setup-for-submitters/advanced-configuration-for-submitters/bank-import-faqs-and-known-issues.

Re help responses. We definitely don't want to have you waiting 12 hours for a response and it doesn't help that there are a lot more help requests coming in at the end/beginning of a month around billing time. I've let the team know of your concerns and will continue to improve on our response times, especially during busy periods.

Thanks for bringing these issues to our attention!

Likelihood to recommend: 1/10

Gene Schulfer

Expensify for expenses

Used monthly for 6-12 months
Reviewed 2020-02-11

I am managing our expenses and tax reporting with Expensify.

Pros
Good value for the cost. It is pretty easy to work with and is relatively customizable. There are several, easy ways to submit expenses.

Cons
There is a little bit of a learning curve, but it's not too bad. It is pretty heavily focused on expense reporting for employees, which takes a little adjustment for my needs.

Likelihood to recommend: 8/10

Shoaib Shabbir

Snap...... and its done.

Used occasionally for 6-12 months
Reviewed 2019-06-18

From all the other products i tried, this is by far the best and easiest to use.

Pros
The best feature is the smartscan feature. Once you set up the currency, it segregates everything accordingly and saves you the trouble of manually entering it. Even if you have no internet connection, it saves the request and once u go online it will analyze the scan and store it for you.The reports generated are also very well detailed.

Cons
I had a technical error, maybe it was my mistake, because it didnt happen to any of my other collegues where the expense trip report closed automatically. But that is easily solved by logging on the web version and activiating it again.

Travis Eriksen

Expensify solved our receipt problems

Reviewed 2019-05-31

We no longer have to keep paper receipts, and Expensify even tracks international service charges to match out of country purchases to our credit card bills.

Pros
We used to have to keep paper receipts and scan them into emails, Expensify has solved that while also making it easy to reimburse someone when they use a personal account to make a purchase.

Cons
Sometimes Expensify will disconnect with our bank software and we will not be able to submit reports until they reconnect.

Peter Krol

Superb cloud expense reporting

Reviewed 2020-04-22

Pros
Expensify has made everything regarding expense reporting easier. Snap photos of receipts. Auto scan them for information. Connect credit card or bank accounts to automatically draw data for expense reports. Submit to multiple approvers. Get immediate responses. And Expensify continues to develop and support the product very well. We have recommended Expensify to many other organizations like ours.

Cons
Sometimes the connections to financial accounts break. And I'm notified of the fact. I have to notice it myself and wish there were an automated notification.

Cláudia Gomes

Great user experience

Used monthly for 2+ years
Reviewed 2020-05-05

It was a great experience! Meanwhile I moved to a startup, that doesn't use Expensify and every time I need to fill in the excel form with my expenses I miss Expensify. I really recommend it!

Pros
Expensify is really easy to use and VERY convenient. My favorite feature is that as soon as you get the expense receipt you can take a picture of it and the app reads all the necessary information (value, issuing company, date, etc.), then you just need to add some minor details like the category, or the people associated with that expense (if more people than yourself).

Cons
There's nothing I'd point really bad. What I could point as an improvement is the time it takes to "read" the picture of the receipt, but most of the times it's not an issue, you just take the picture and close the app, it'll be completing the job on the background.

Ryan Kintz

A MUST FOR BUSINESS OWNERS!

Reviewed 2020-04-16

Pros
I love Expensify, I use this daily for tracking expense receipts for my company [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] and for my other two companies. Love it.

Cons
Nothing it works great and never has any bugs.

Isaac Kaijankoski

Great Expense Report Software for Small Enterprise

Reviewed 2017-02-01

I used this software extensively in a previous position, both as administrator and user. For a small organization, this is an excellent expense reporting software product which will easily allow you to go 100% paperless. All receipts are uploaded digitally and you can take photos of receipts on your phone and upload them onto the app (which is a great app). Once submitted, the routing is very nice and you can track the progress and make modifications if it is kicked back to you. The implementation was very smooth and we were able to incorporate everything we needed, including our chart of accounts, into this product. All of our employees loved it and it is especially useful for organizations who either have a lot of people traveling or who have employees in geographically dispersed locations. We had employees living in very remote parts of the world and they were able to capture all of their expenses and submit reports from anywhere as long as they had an internet connection. The product integrates very well with all of the major credit cards so no issue there. I don't think this product will integrate with your accounting package but I don't think you would expect that from a product of this nature or price range. Expensify is hosted on the cloud so no worries about installation and the implementation process went very smoothly for us. Their customer service wasn't spectacular but this product type and cost is such that someone in house should be able to manage everything and you wouldn't likely need to contact them for anything. The product is priced on a PUPM basis and the rate is very reasonable. I highly recommend this product to any company that doesn't already have an expense reporting feature as part of some larger ERM product. You will not be disappointed!!

Pros
Ease of use and implementation, low monthly cost which can be scaled as you add or remove users, completely paperless system and ability to take photos on your phone and upload them to the app, and ease of routing and tracking.

Cons
You will not get a lot of customer support and it doesn't integrate well into other applications. I don't think you would expect this of a product at this price though.

Response from Expensify

Thank you for the thorough review, Isaac! Apologies to hear our support is not as fast as you'd like, this is something we're heavily investing our resources on and you should see faster response times soon!

In terms of integration, please let us know at help@expensify.com if you're looking for something in particular. For a full list of our current integrations (including QBO, QBD, Xero, etc), check out https://use.expensify.com/all-integrations/.

Have a great day, and thank you again for leaving us a kind review! We're so glad we're making expenses easier for you and your team!

Christie Gravesen

Good Resource

Reviewed 2018-06-18

Pros
Our company went from using excel spreadsheets to monitor spending and expense reports to using Expensify once it was launched company wide a year and a half ago. In comparison to the old way of doing things, Expensify is a huge improvement. The software can sync with your corporate card (or personal card, if you'd like) so all your transactions are pulled into Expensify automatically. The only time a manual expense needs to be created is if you paid with cash, used a card that is not synced to Expensify or if you're entering mileage. Entering mileage is my second favorite thing about Expensify. It's very easy and can be as simple as inputting your starting destination and ending destination, and it will calculate the mileage for you. My favorite part of Expensify, however, is the mobile app. It allows you to take photos of receipts right away (especially nice while travelling) so you don't have to worry about collecting receipts and scanning them in once you're back in the office. Another nice feature of Expensify is that you can sort and put filters of your expenses to track category spend. This is very nice for our company as we receive some health wellness benefits that allow u to use X amount of money per year so these filters help us track our personal annual spend.

Cons
There are some features that have limited options for settings. The first example that comes to mind is if you take a picture of a receipt on the Expensify app, it will automatically mark that expense as reimbursable, even if you it's not.

Thomas Cheeks

Expensify to the Rescue!

Reviewed 2019-02-26

Organization. Receipt management.

Pros
I work overseas. Mostly in Europe and my company is based in California. I work for an international charter school organization basically travel for a living while meeting with government entities about educational opportunities. My whole life is expenses. I spend my own money and get reimbursed so it's critical that every receipt, every lunch, hotel, meal, every expense is documented and saved. I'm not the best with money and I struggle with organization on the road. Fortunately, Expensify helps me with both. Every receipt I collect can be instantly scanned and saved. There is no limit to the number which is great because someday's I have in excess of 20 receipts. Expensify tallies my receipts as I go which assures I stay on budget and don't overspend. If I overspend or go over budget I don't get that money back so this feature is critical. My company uses Quickbooks for accounting and Expensify integrates with Quickbooks effortlessly. For those who do not use Quickbooks, rest easy; there isn't a popular (or unpopular) software that Expensify doesn't integrate with. If managing multiple receipts and budgeting is important to you, you MUST give Expensify a try.

Cons
Nothing. Expensify is the most complete travel expense app on the market.

Matt Stark

Expensify for Ecommerce

Reviewed 2019-10-08

My overall experience with Expensify has been top notch. It really has helped our company become organized and has completely streamlined our expense tracking with ease.

Pros
Expensify is hands down the best expense tracking choice for our company. There are a lot of pros to Expensify. Their customer service is amazing, always responding quickly and answering my questions in a very understandable manner. Their app is what we use most, it's simple and easy to use - having every feature you'd every need for tracking expenses. I've also done some research on their company culture and it seems like they really invest into their employees lives. This definitely looks like a great company to work for.

Cons
There aren't many cons for Expensify. But if I had to choose something, it would be that the app doesn't real-time-sync with the admin system, you have to manually re-sync when something changes. For example: When the admin adds a new expense category, it doesn't show in the app right away unless the user manually "syncs". At the end of the day, this really isn't that big of a deal.

Worst customer service

Reviewed 2019-11-15

the software when working is great but the customer service is the worst I have ever worked with in the world and they don't care about paying clients

Pros
easy to track expense connects with stripe to invoice easy to mark paid

Cons
when a problem happens customer service does not exist problems can last over 1 month no credit for the system not working they want customers to fix issues that are their problem no managers in the company

Likelihood to recommend: 4/10

Richard Smith

Expensify is good for business, but bad for personal use

Reviewed 2019-12-16

My overall experience with Expensify was mind-numbing, but I think that was due to the nature of my job. The actual site and program was not bad, but again, it's tedious for anything other than business purposes.

Pros
What I liked most about this software, Expensify, is that it allowed for bulk imports and would often suggest categories for certain items once you upload enough receipts and it could find a pattern. In my position as General Manager, I had access to a company card and Expensify is how we kept track of everything before exporting it to our company's accountant.

Cons
What I liked least about this software, Expensify, is that it often flagged certain receipts for being duplicates or for being incorrect despite that not being the case. Unfortunately, this prevented you from saving the files correctly until the "disputes" were corrected. For a business, this can make sense or be rectified as the totals are all that really matter, but for personal use, keeping track of tiny margins and trends becomes a lot more important and needs to be protected.

Jany Chang

I love Expensify!

Reviewed 2018-05-16

Save tons of time for reviewing, approving and reimbursing to employees.

Pros
It saves employees a lot of time and hassle on doing the paper work including keeping the receipts. Employees only need to take a picture of the receipt and submit with their phone. It is easy and timely. If expenses are not submitted immediately, at least the scanned receipts are kept in Expensify for employees to submit anytime later. With the feature of the scanned receipts, no more keeping the stack of paper receipts!

Cons
Syncing Expensify with accounting software (Xero) in order to get a complete and updated customer list is not 100% there yet. A lot of times, we couldn't submit an expense marking billable because the customer is not available in the drop down window in Expensify. This requires accountants like us to do extra work in accounting software (Xero) to fix the entry.

Sally Gunter

Expensify is pretty good

Reviewed 2019-12-05

Overall I think Expensify is a solid product but I do believe they would do well to add a lot of functionality from an administrator / accounting perspective.

Pros
I like the ease of loading receipts and drilling down into an expense report to find the data I need for accounting purposes. I like the user interface. It's extremely easy to add a new user and our new users never really have questions so I think the users find it easy to navigate. I love that it interfaces with our accounting software creating a seamless exchange of data once everything is set up properly; this saves a lot of time and duplicate entry. I love that it has a direct pay option - the users get the payments directly to their bank account. The customer support is a chat feature - they don't always respond immediately but it's always pretty quick and they are extremely responsive. They have always helped solve all my issues and I consider their support to be pretty top-notch.

Cons
I think the product is lacking altogether in Reporting functionality. There's really not even a "Reports" module to speak of. You have to basically go in and pull your own data from the modules ...it makes everything feel clunky and unprofessional. It's also tricky to find what you need in settings, from an administrator perspective.

Likelihood to recommend: 7/10

Best expense tool

Reviewed 2020-03-19

Expensify has made our expense reporting so much more simplified and saved everyone so much time.

Pros
Expensify is in my opinion the best expense option on the market. It is so easy to use and makes expense reports a breeze.

Cons
Not really anything I dislike about expensify, but what I like the least, is I wish the software was a little smarter and able to match expenses if the receipt date is a day or two off from the billing date.

Amy Honey

I WOULD NOT FUNCTION WITH OUT THIS APP!!!

Reviewed 2017-08-15

My life is easier, I don't have to hang on to receipts that lose their ink. And it automates everything. I love it!

Pros
My favorite function of this app is that I simply take a photo of my receipt and it inputs EVERYTHING. It inputs the name of the place the receipt is from, the amount of money, and the date on the receipt. It's so simple! It even transfers my receipts from British pounds to US dollars automatically for me when I'm traveling. Or Canadian, or any other country I'm in. It does the conversion for me. Everything is automated. My life is so much easier, and I don't have to carry any receipts around with me. The other favorite thing is that once I'm ready to send a report in, it can be for the month, or a specific trip, or what ever, it emails the entire report broken down into categories for me in a PDF file with the receipt photos attached in the PDF. BOOM!

Blair Phibbs

Great app for tracking expenses

Reviewed 2019-10-10

Overall, I would highly recommend this app for anyone who needs to keep track of expenses. It simplifies the process and makes keeping track of receipts so easy. I don't pay for the monthly fee because I don't have enough to track, and an option to buy it outright might be nice for someone like me, but if I had a lot to track I can see the low monthly fee be a worthwhile expense.

Pros
It's simple, easy and keeps me organized. I am not naturally organized (I would just as soon throw a receipt out as try to remember to keep it and then submit it to my office) and so I have to intentionally work at it. This app makes it quick and easy. You take a pic and add some info and it's done. I don't pay the monthly fee because I don't have that much to track, but if you do I would think it's well worth the money. It breaks your expenses down into manageable categories and works offline if needed. If you need help staying organized or just want less paper to keep track of then I would recommend this app.

Cons
There really isn't anything about this app that I dislike. It does what it's supposed to do and it does it very well. Maybe if it integrated with my phone camera so when I take a picture of a receipt it automatically gives me the option to import it into Expensify? Maybe that's a pipe dream...

Likelihood to recommend: 8/10

Stefanos Sakellariou

Reliable and rewarding!

Reviewed 2017-10-11

- Expense tidying up - Categorize according to projects, events etc. - Everything centralized - Ability to handle expenses with other team members

Pros
We have been using Expensify for over a year now and I can say that it we have been pleased more or less. I really like the fact that you are given the ability to manage your expense and categorize according to how detailed you really need it. In addition, the joint report of all expenses is neat and easy to manipulate. I would say that it is quite user friendly once you get familiar with it (you do need a few times to use it in order to get a full handle on it). The app is a strong point as well.

Cons
Nothing too bad about it. Sometimes it cannot process as quickly as I desire especially when uploading pdf files. Subsequently I have had to log out and log in again to reset it in a sense. Other than that I would say it is a rather solid service.

Elizabeth Baublitz

I've used Expensify as an administrator and user and have benefitted greatly in both aspects!

Reviewed 2018-01-10

Pros
I find that as a user, the interface is very user friendly and easy to use. I can simply upload receipts and add comments to my expenses. I find it is also easy as an administrator to reject expenses and add comments as to why they were rejected. So easy to use!

Cons
The only thing that is hard is that a report won't allow me to add an expense to it in the app. The expense needs to be added first before it can be added to the report, which is hard. Also, it would be nice to make expenses for distance in the app. Perhaps I am able but just don't know how. If so, it could be helpful to make this feature easier to use.

Response from Expensify

Hi Elizabeth, thank you for your kind review! We are so happy that we are helping making your job easier, both as an admin and an end user :)

In regards to distance expenses, you can definitely create this via mobile if you click the (+) button located in the top right corner of the mobile app on the Expenses or Inbox tab.

To add an expense to a report on the app, simply click into a report and you should be directed to a window with a (+) button in the top right corner. Click that to add a new expense to the report.

Hope this helps, thanks again for using Expensify!

Davidq Hall

The best solution I have found for the retaining and coding of receipts!

Reviewed 2017-11-14

Pros
This is the best software/app I have used to date to manage employee expenses. As an accountant, there is a constant struggle to get employees to retain and code their receipts; Expensify makes it easy for both! The receipt matching and scanning functionality has really impressed me as well. Take a picture of your receipt, and, most of the time, it will auto-match to the corresponding transaction. Another great feature is that Expensify will generate audit-able receipts for certain small transactions.

Cons
Expensify's per user pricing can be a large deterrent depending on company size. A bulk pricing option would be much more tantalizing for larger and even mid-size companies.

Expenses made easy.

Reviewed 2019-05-17

Overall Im happy. They have a powerful app and uploading expenses is quick and effective. The app is decent so saves you having to use the web client. Overall it does what you need it to do, but theres some advanced functions that Expensify is missing that its competitors have (Listed above). I would recommend this vendor if you want speed and simplicity, but if you are interested in the more advanced functions and automation then its worth having a look at competitors first.

Pros
- Very easy to upload receipts - Handy email reminders - Variable options for tax which helps when working internationally - Options to retract submitted expenses to correct mistakes without waiting for them to be declined by financing teams

Cons
- The receipt scan function is slow, to the point where everyone within our teams choses to manually upload the receipt info. This is fine as it doesn't take long but it makes the scan option pointless. - No geotagging to show location of your purchases, such as you see in Monzo/Revelout/Stirling bank etc. - Occasional software crashes, quite a minor complaint as you simply re-launch the app and continue - No way to automatically link into a bank card, so your expenses don't automatically upload - This would be such a game changer! - No total expenses viewable on app, you can see the total value of each individual claim but if you want to see how much you have claimed over the week/month/year you need to manually add them up.

Likelihood to recommend: 7/10