Expensify Reviews

User ratings

4.4

• Likelihood to recommend8.42/10

See full reviews by rating

Pros

Cons

It's a nice incentive to encourage cost savings for the company and really nice for employees if you aren't too particular about your lodgings.

The ease of use and functionality is great and it makes it easy to track where your reports are at and when it has been approved.

I really enjoy expensify and everything it encapsulates. It's easy, and quite frankly, effective and I recommend to everyone.

Joshua J.

Our company have multiple entities in the US and in EU and expensify does not support this, the integration with xero is a mess i don't understand how does it work...My overall experience is bad.

AS

Alexandra S.

Criminal billing practices. I barely used the software and they are charging me for a year subscription and won't let me cancel.

AF

Asa F.

They violate their own privacy policy by sending out non-product related information to their customer base. This violates the agreement that they make you sign.

JC

eFileCabinet

Microsoft Excel-logocaret

Microsoft Excel

Compare both
How would you rate Expensify?

David C.

Pastor for Creative Arts

Religious Institutions, 1-10 employees

Simple and intuitive

Transcript

David C. : I'm David. I'm a pastor for Creative Arts. I give Expensify a five out of five. And for more...

The best solution for expense reporting

Transcript

Andrew K.: My name's Andrew, I'm a senior program manager and I would rate Expensify five out of five....

User Friendly Interface

Great system to help track employee spending. The credit cards act as debit cards which is good if you’re a company that is trying to not live on credit.

Pros

Minimal learning curve if your team us any experience with expensing items in a software format. You can fix mistakes really easily and there aren’t a ton of buttons to wade through.

Cons

Sometimes new employees need to get reloaded to allow them to bill items to customers. That might be the accounting firm that we work with a fault though.

A robust system for documenting and controlling expenses

Expensify enables us to document expenses and raise their records to the cloud with ease and smooth audits and approvals within specified dates.

Pros

The great thing about Expensify is that we are able to monitor, document and control all expenses. Through Expensify, team members got rid of collecting paper receipts and then preparing lists and submitting them to the accounting department for auditing and approval. With Expensify, things have become clearer, as each team member independently will be able to scan his invoices to be raised on his own cloud and enter data from them to his expense page, and then the accounting department will be able to audit and notify him of approval or request other inquiries, and by These quick and accurate procedures ensure that no receipts are lost and that you get the money straight away.

Cons

Not a lot of unwanted things, and it does not require a lot of effort on the part of the users to be able to track their expenditures properly.

Easy to use expense reporting

Pros

It's very quick and easy to submit expenses and qualifying receipts.

Cons

This system is great for use on cell phones, but the software makes you log on a computer to finalize the submission of the report.

Save Time and Money by Using Expensify

Overall very happy with Expensify as a solution that allows me to have all my expenses organized in one place. Would highly recommend using it, especially for its feature that allows me to attach digital images of the receipts to each expense item. It has a great option to submit and send expense reports to multiple people. If you are using Expensify across mutliple users, all the information is easily accessible by every team member.

Pros

A great solution to keep all my expense reports in one place, with a great option to attach PDFs of receipts and/or images of receipts. Expensify can pull data directly from my credit card statements and that feature alone saves a lot of time of manual entering numbers and vendors.

Cons

It can get a little too much to configure in the beginning and navigating down to expense categories is not the easiest to do - it takes time to find things around that I could customize but once these are all in place, using Expensify is fairly easy. Expensify creates automatic names for your reports - make sure you change them to something that makes sense to you and your accountants or everyone will wonder what Expense Report 234902u5435242ewd is for.

Gregor Tims FREE NOW review

I use Expensify to record and upload receipts of expenses I incur in my job. I do a lot of testing of competitor apps which creates multiple expenses per day and Expensify is a really easy way of recording these and sending them to my manager. I think some minor improvements could be made, but overall it's a very slick and easy app to use.

Pros

It's very easy to upload receipts, reports etc and to combine various expenses into one report. It's super easy to send it off to my manager and for him to approve it. There's a very clear record of my expenses and a clear description of where they are in the reimbursement process. It works well!

Cons

I got a bit confused initially about how to add my bank details, it seemed very US-focused, by which I mean there seemed only to be a way of adding an American bank details. I was actually just confusing myself, because I hadn't appreciated that by submitting it, my company would actually just use my bank details that they already have to reimburse me. This could be clearer in the app, but maybe it's...

Good functionality for most things. Doesn't work with UK bank cards

Good but fairly quickly realised what functions are missing or work poorly. Incompatibility with UK bank cards is a significant.

Pros

Scans receipts quickly. Good to produce a pdf report. Report management is good.

Cons

Requires more than one step to open the scan receipt function in the mobile app. Incompatible with UK banks so it reports most expenses as 'violations'. Searching for receipts has many functions so is a bit clunky.

A must for easy, quick reimbursements!

Overall I highly recommend Expensify. It's simple, to-the-point, and gives you every feature you need. I haven't used other expense management services, but I really could not imagine doing so.

Pros

The speed and ease of use makes Expensify a standout. In my 4 years of using it, the servers have never crashed or gone down. Reimbursements are processed speedily, and it's easy to make changes when necessary to old reports. The interface is intuitive and easy for volunteers to enter their information into (a big priority for my organization since we have hundreds of volunteers added each year).

Cons

If you start to get a lot of reports, the search feature can take a little bit to load, but that's really only when you have 10,000+ reports to filter through. It's still very usable.

Useful tool but needs some improvements

Pros

1. Easy to use 2. OCR which automatically reads receipts, reduces manually keystrokes 3. Seamless integration with other apps like Uber Business Profile, etc.

Cons

1. Doesn't save approvers name for next report approval 2. Reports list is very confusing. User must be able to display summary/text of each report to identify accurately.

Smart scan is nice, gets the job done.

Pros

We use Expensify with our personal credit cards to track corporate spend. The interface is pretty clean and makes allocating expenses to specific projects or initiatives easy. Smart scan is mostly great, but it sometimes fails.

Cons

The feed design of pending submitted expenses makes it difficult to see if an expense has already been submitted. I've duplicated expenses before as I forgot I'd already submitted it, and the feed view makes it tough to check.

Worked fine, didn't like political emails

I won't go back because of their abuse of my private information. but their software worked fine.

Pros

Made expense reporting relatively easy.

Cons

I hated that the ceo used my email for political emails. I feel like it was abuse of my private information

Expensify Expense Tracking

I originally used this software because it was the most straight forward "fool proof" software that allowed me to manage and track several employees travel expenses and business mileage and keeping it as simple as possible for the employees. By implementing this software into our expense tracking, our employee's no longer have to worry about paperwork and keeping track of physical receipts so long as they take a picture of it in Expensify.

Pros

The feature that won me over is the softwares ability to extract the necessary relevant information from a picture of the receipt and its reliability to accurately create an expense entry automatically. The other feature that really stands out is the dedicated email address you have to send receipts to the app. This feature is great because of rules i have established in outlook so that any "receipts" from certain companies automatically gets forwarded to my Expensify account.

Cons

Occasionally, when I was trying to submit a few large reports the app would freeze up on me. Otherwise I cannot think of any negative experiences I have had with Expensify.

Great Expense Report Software for Small Enterprise

I used this software extensively in a previous position, both as administrator and user. For a small organization, this is an excellent expense reporting software product which will easily allow you to go 100% paperless. All receipts are uploaded digitally and you can take photos of receipts on your phone and upload them onto the app (which is a great app). Once submitted, the routing is very nice...

Pros

Ease of use and implementation, low monthly cost which can be scaled as you add or remove users, completely paperless system and ability to take photos on your phone and upload them to the app, and ease of routing and tracking.

Cons

You will not get a lot of customer support and it doesn't integrate well into other applications. I don't think you would expect this of a product at this price though.

Thank you for the thorough review, Isaac! Apologies to hear our support is not as fast as you'd like, this is something we're heavily investing our resources on and you should see faster response times soon! In terms of integration, please let us know at help@expensify.com if you're looking for something in particular. For a full list of our current integrations (including QBO, QBD, Xero, etc), check out https://use.expensify.com/all-integrations/. Have a great day, and thank you again for leaving us a kind review! We're so glad we're making expenses easier for you and your team!

Smoothest expense reporting software ever

Overall, everything has been good with Expensify down to the coding for my purposes. Users like that it literally creates a report they get paid for almost immediately without them having to nag accounting. It's a win win for everyone and well worth the cost per user.

Pros

The ease of use for our employees is great and very intuitive. I can make changes on the fly to reports if another user doesn't have it quite right for accounting purposes. It categorizes everything including mileage right where it should be.

Cons

Integration with our accounting software would probably be very easy if I could get higher ups to agree (They worry it might not flow correctly). I do have to take some manual steps to make that happen - otherwise there is nothing I want to add to the Con List.

Good Resource

Pros

Our company went from using excel spreadsheets to monitor spending and expense reports to using Expensify once it was launched company wide a year and a half ago. In comparison to the old way of doing things, Expensify is a huge improvement. The software can sync with your corporate card (or personal card, if you'd like) so all your transactions are pulled into Expensify automatically. The only time...

Cons

There are some features that have limited options for settings. The first example that comes to mind is if you take a picture of a receipt on the Expensify app, it will automatically mark that expense as reimbursable, even if you it's not.

Convenient Expense Reimbursement Software

Overall great employee expense reimbursement system for small/midsize business. Easy to use and implement. Would definitely recommend!

Pros

I love using Expensify to reimburse our employees. It is super easy for employees to create expense reports. Expensify also has approval workflows which allows employees to submit their expense reports to their managers for review first before submitting to finance for reimbursement. Expensify is also integrated with our accounting system which allows me to sync expense reports without having to manually enter expenses again. The payout process is also super simple and can be done directly through Expensify by connecting your company's bank account.

Cons

I wish reporting was done easier in Expensify. Creating a report could be tricky (Expensify requires you to use formulas) but overall it is manageable if you learn a few tricks.

A perfect tool for recording, classifying, and reporting on expenses.

He contributed to documenting all expenses, as Expensify worked to speed up the pace of sending receipts and explanations on them and taking approvals, which was taking us a long time in the past. With Expensify, preparing reports and schedules for payments is very easy, and we are able to easily track any unnecessary payments.

Pros

Expensify simplifies the task of tracking the expenses and expenses of the team as well as the daily expenses of the organization as a whole. The receipts are simply scanned, where Expensify extracts data from them and adds them to the schedule of expenses, and sends a notification to the direct official to take approval, which organizes those operations, which used to send us monthly to block a file containing many paper receipts, and send them to auditors who may take a long time Expensify has changed all that, and succeeded in automating all processes, so that sending data, obtaining approvals and sending notifications to pay money is done automatically and without the need to accumulate invoices and files All of them are now stored in the cloud.

Cons

There is nothing worth mentioning, as both the desktop and mobile application are easy to use, the scanning and autofill system works excellently, and the price is good for a subscription that works for everyone.

Good Product - Truly Awful Onboarding and Support

While the product is good if you don't have any complications, the onboarding and support are probably the worst I have ever experienced. After a brief training session, there is no longer any phone call support allowed (only email and chat and the delays could be many hours and often days). More recently with the COVID-19 situation, their usage has plummeted so they recently announced a doubling of pricing (100% increase) to all users if they don't switch to using their credit card which for many companies (including ourselves and including reasons like the cc syncing problem) will not work. The message about the price increase was hidden in a very very long email from the CEO titled something about support improvements.

Pros

It is easy for the end user to use, particularly given the mobile app. It has a lot of good controls and notifications for potential user errors or abuses.

Cons

The credit card sync features often don't work or are significantly delayed (days, weeks if at all) which causes unintended reimbursements for non reimbursable expenses and messed up accounting.

Expensify to the Rescue!

Organization. Receipt management.

Pros

I work overseas. Mostly in Europe and my company is based in California. I work for an international charter school organization basically travel for a living while meeting with government entities about educational opportunities. My whole life is expenses. I spend my own money and get reimbursed so it's critical that every receipt, every lunch, hotel, meal, every expense is documented and saved. I'm...

Cons

Nothing. Expensify is the most complete travel expense app on the market.

Expensify for Ecommerce

My overall experience with Expensify has been top notch. It really has helped our company become organized and has completely streamlined our expense tracking with ease.

Pros

Expensify is hands down the best expense tracking choice for our company. There are a lot of pros to Expensify. Their customer service is amazing, always responding quickly and answering my questions in a very understandable manner. Their app is what we use most, it's simple and easy to use - having every feature you'd every need for tracking expenses. I've also done some research on their company culture and it seems like they really invest into their employees lives. This definitely looks like a great company to work for.

Cons

There aren't many cons for Expensify. But if I had to choose something, it would be that the app doesn't real-time-sync with the admin system, you have to manually re-sync when something changes. For example: When the admin adds a new expense category, it doesn't show in the app right away unless the user manually "syncs". At the end of the day, this really isn't that big of a deal.

Worst customer service

the software when working is great but the customer service is the worst I have ever worked with in the world and they don't care about paying clients

Pros

easy to track expense connects with stripe to invoice easy to mark paid

Cons

when a problem happens customer service does not exist problems can last over 1 month no credit for the system not working they want customers to fix issues that are their problem no managers in the company

Expensify is good for business, but bad for personal use

My overall experience with Expensify was mind-numbing, but I think that was due to the nature of my job. The actual site and program was not bad, but again, it's tedious for anything other than business purposes.

Pros

What I liked most about this software, Expensify, is that it allowed for bulk imports and would often suggest categories for certain items once you upload enough receipts and it could find a pattern. In my position as General Manager, I had access to a company card and Expensify is how we kept track of everything before exporting it to our company's accountant.

Cons

What I liked least about this software, Expensify, is that it often flagged certain receipts for being duplicates or for being incorrect despite that not being the case. Unfortunately, this prevented you from saving the files correctly until the "disputes" were corrected. For a business, this can make sense or be rectified as the totals are all that really matter, but for personal use, keeping track of tiny margins and trends becomes a lot more important and needs to be protected.

I love Expensify!

Save tons of time for reviewing, approving and reimbursing to employees.

Pros

It saves employees a lot of time and hassle on doing the paper work including keeping the receipts. Employees only need to take a picture of the receipt and submit with their phone. It is easy and timely. If expenses are not submitted immediately, at least the scanned receipts are kept in Expensify for employees to submit anytime later. With the feature of the scanned receipts, no more keeping the stack of paper receipts!

Cons

Syncing Expensify with accounting software (Xero) in order to get a complete and updated customer list is not 100% there yet. A lot of times, we couldn't submit an expense marking billable because the customer is not available in the drop down window in Expensify. This requires accountants like us to do extra work in accounting software (Xero) to fix the entry.

Simple and Easy to Use Expense Tracking & Reimbursement Software

Overall, I'm satisfied. Expensify greatly reduced the time required to process and review staff expenses, both those charged on their own credit cards and corporate credit cards.

Pros

Easy to set-up and use. Requires minimal user (employee) training. Integrates well with our accounting platform, Xero. Love the corporate card integration function, which allows administrators to track pending translocation and overall management of the credit card account. Cost is fair.

Cons

Can improve on reporting/analytical capabilities of transactions processed via Expensify. Customer service is almost non-existent, have to rely primarily on community forums to troubleshoot.

Expensify is pretty good

Overall I think Expensify is a solid product but I do believe they would do well to add a lot of functionality from an administrator / accounting perspective.

Pros

I like the ease of loading receipts and drilling down into an expense report to find the data I need for accounting purposes. I like the user interface. It's extremely easy to add a new user and our new users never really have questions so I think the users find it easy to navigate. I love that it interfaces with our accounting software creating a seamless exchange of data once everything is set...

Cons

I think the product is lacking altogether in Reporting functionality. There's really not even a "Reports" module to speak of. You have to basically go in and pull your own data from the modules ...it makes everything feel clunky and unprofessional. It's also tricky to find what you need in settings, from an administrator perspective.

Super Easy to Use but Wish Quickbooks Integration Was Better

Use it to capture all expenses among our team. Works great on business trips. No more receipts stuffed into a suitcase on the way home. Does a good job of importing chart of accounts from Quickbooks. Easy to set rules (i.e. must have receipt for expenses above $25). Helpful having 4 options to add new expense - photo, email to Receipts@Expensify, upload receipt file, manually create. Great digital record capturing photos of all receipts. Nice to only pay per active user per month.

Pros

This is a great tool to capture your expenses. The interface is super easy to use--just taking a picture of a receipt and letting the tool fill in the necessary information.

Cons

Haven't been able to get the online version of Quickbooks to integrate with this, so our accountant still manually enters / uploads the expense report info every month