Expensify Reviews

4.43/5 (488 reviews)

Isaac Kaijankoski

Great Expense Report Software for Small Enterprise

Reviewed 2017-02-01

I used this software extensively in a previous position, both as administrator and user. For a small organization, this is an excellent expense reporting software product which will easily allow you to go 100% paperless. All receipts are uploaded digitally and you can take photos of receipts on your phone and upload them onto the app (which is a great app). Once submitted, the routing is very nice and you can track the progress and make modifications if it is kicked back to you. The implementation was very smooth and we were able to incorporate everything we needed, including our chart of accounts, into this product. All of our employees loved it and it is especially useful for organizations who either have a lot of people traveling or who have employees in geographically dispersed locations. We had employees living in very remote parts of the world and they were able to capture all of their expenses and submit reports from anywhere as long as they had an internet connection. The product integrates very well with all of the major credit cards so no issue there. I don't think this product will integrate with your accounting package but I don't think you would expect that from a product of this nature or price range. Expensify is hosted on the cloud so no worries about installation and the implementation process went very smoothly for us. Their customer service wasn't spectacular but this product type and cost is such that someone in house should be able to manage everything and you wouldn't likely need to contact them for anything. The product is priced on a PUPM basis and the rate is very reasonable. I highly recommend this product to any company that doesn't already have an expense reporting feature as part of some larger ERM product. You will not be disappointed!!Ease of use and implementation, low monthly cost which can be scaled as you add or remove users, completely paperless system and ability to take photos on your phone and upload them to the app, and ease of routing and tracking.

Christie Gravesen

Good Resource

Reviewed 2018-06-18

Our company went from using excel spreadsheets to monitor spending and expense reports to using Expensify once it was launched company wide a year and a half ago. In comparison to the old way of doing things, Expensify is a huge improvement. The software can sync with your corporate card (or personal card, if you'd like) so all your transactions are pulled into Expensify automatically. The only time a manual expense needs to be created is if you paid with cash, used a card that is not synced to Expensify or if you're entering mileage. Entering mileage is my second favorite thing about Expensify. It's very easy and can be as simple as inputting your starting destination and ending destination, and it will calculate the mileage for you. My favorite part of Expensify, however, is the mobile app. It allows you to take photos of receipts right away (especially nice while travelling) so you don't have to worry about collecting receipts and scanning them in once you're back in the office. Another nice feature of Expensify is that you can sort and put filters of your expenses to track category spend. This is very nice for our company as we receive some health wellness benefits that allow u to use X amount of money per year so these filters help us track our personal annual spend.

Thomas Cheeks

Expensify to the Rescue!

Reviewed 2019-02-26

Organization. Receipt management.I work overseas. Mostly in Europe and my company is based in California. I work for an international charter school organization basically travel for a living while meeting with government entities about educational opportunities. My whole life is expenses. I spend my own money and get reimbursed so it's critical that every receipt, every lunch, hotel, meal, every expense is documented and saved. I'm not the best with money and I struggle with organization on the road. Fortunately, Expensify helps me with both. Every receipt I collect can be instantly scanned and saved. There is no limit to the number which is great because someday's I have in excess of 20 receipts. Expensify tallies my receipts as I go which assures I stay on budget and don't overspend. If I overspend or go over budget I don't get that money back so this feature is critical. My company uses Quickbooks for accounting and Expensify integrates with Quickbooks effortlessly. For those who do not use Quickbooks, rest easy; there isn't a popular (or unpopular) software that Expensify doesn't integrate with. If managing multiple receipts and budgeting is important to you, you MUST give Expensify a try.

Jany Chang

I love Expensify!

Reviewed 2018-05-16

Save tons of time for reviewing, approving and reimbursing to employees.It saves employees a lot of time and hassle on doing the paper work including keeping the receipts. Employees only need to take a picture of the receipt and submit with their phone. It is easy and timely. If expenses are not submitted immediately, at least the scanned receipts are kept in Expensify for employees to submit anytime later. With the feature of the scanned receipts, no more keeping the stack of paper receipts!

Amy Honey

I WOULD NOT FUNCTION WITH OUT THIS APP!!!

Reviewed 2017-08-15

My life is easier, I don't have to hang on to receipts that lose their ink. And it automates everything. I love it!My favorite function of this app is that I simply take a photo of my receipt and it inputs EVERYTHING. It inputs the name of the place the receipt is from, the amount of money, and the date on the receipt. It's so simple! It even transfers my receipts from British pounds to US dollars automatically for me when I'm traveling. Or Canadian, or any other country I'm in. It does the conversion for me. Everything is automated. My life is so much easier, and I don't have to carry any receipts around with me. The other favorite thing is that once I'm ready to send a report in, it can be for the month, or a specific trip, or what ever, it emails the entire report broken down into categories for me in a PDF file with the receipt photos attached in the PDF. BOOM!

Stefanos Sakellariou

Reliable and rewarding!

Reviewed 2017-10-11

- Expense tidying up - Categorize according to projects, events etc. - Everything centralized - Ability to handle expenses with other team membersWe have been using Expensify for over a year now and I can say that it we have been pleased more or less. I really like the fact that you are given the ability to manage your expense and categorize according to how detailed you really need it. In addition, the joint report of all expenses is neat and easy to manipulate. I would say that it is quite user friendly once you get familiar with it (you do need a few times to use it in order to get a full handle on it). The app is a strong point as well.

Bolatito Teidi

Saves my team Time.

Reviewed 2018-11-29

Expensify is used in my organization to create automated expense reports of all staffs,teams and departments.Mait easy to track team expenses and know when anyone is going above the allocated budget threshold.Because it is automated,there has been no need to appoint humans to do what Expensify does and this has saved us money as an organization and won us time,would can be expended on other productive activity.Setup for expensify is just a few minutes.Integrates well with major credit/debit card providers.I like the smart receipt functionality and this has allowed me to capture a snapshot of my receipt and transcribe it to my teams expense report. It integrates with our in-house accounting solution -Quickbooks ,ensuring all of our financial expenditures are efficiently streamlined.

Elizabeth Baublitz

I've used Expensify as an administrator and user and have benefitted greatly in both aspects!

Reviewed 2018-01-10

I find that as a user, the interface is very user friendly and easy to use. I can simply upload receipts and add comments to my expenses. I find it is also easy as an administrator to reject expenses and add comments as to why they were rejected. So easy to use!

Davidq Hall

The best solution I have found for the retaining and coding of receipts!

Reviewed 2017-11-14

This is the best software/app I have used to date to manage employee expenses. As an accountant, there is a constant struggle to get employees to retain and code their receipts; Expensify makes it easy for both! The receipt matching and scanning functionality has really impressed me as well. Take a picture of your receipt, and, most of the time, it will auto-match to the corresponding transaction. Another great feature is that Expensify will generate audit-able receipts for certain small transactions.

Kiana Brown

Expense reports made easy!

Reviewed 2018-09-07

I'm not kidding when I say I recommend this product to EVERYONE! When I give people nonprofit management advice this is at the top of my list. Great experience with this product and fast and effective customer service!This software is extremely user friendly and makes expense reports a breeze, no more saving receipts on long trips or doing paperwork. I love that it syncs with your card/bank and automatically brings in the expenses and gets smarter as you set categories so the longer you use it the easier expense reports become. I've only used the expense reports side of things so I can't speak to the other services they offer. But 10 out of 10 would recommend this product, also VERY affordable and you can have on your computer, tablet & phone makingit so easy to use!

Anonymous

Expensify overcharges for their "Corporate" platform and becomes useless once your bank feed breaks.

Reviewed 2018-01-31

Was ok and saved time, before it broke.Ease of launch, mobile app works decently well. Onboarding support was decent, but sadly short-lived. They still offer monthly pricing. If you're tempted to try their Corporate or higher plan, DO NOT sign on to their annual pricing plan, see below for why.

Anonymous

Super easy expense tracker for business, reimbursement, or personal

Used other for 1-2 years
Reviewed 2018-05-01

Helped me track my travel, business and personal expensesExpensify is extremely easy to use. You simply take a picture of your receipt or invoice and it digitally reads the receipt, figuring out what it is for, the amount, the payment method, and the merchant. It's not always perfect at doing this, but it's usually pretty accurate. You can create "buckets" so you can keep your expenses separated by type, so if you need one for your work and one for your personal and one for your side job, they can all be separated. It's also great for trips or for tracking receipts for reimbursement. We used it at my church to track things we bought for the church, and I've used it on business trips to track my reimbursable expenditures. This is made easier by the fact that you can then run reports on your expenses so you can hand those over to the other party for reimbursement or expensing.

Nadia Uddin

I used this product when I was a remote worker for a startup

Reviewed 2018-04-10

Quick reimbursement, ease of use, instant upload of receipts.I used to hate doing my expenses because the paperwork was overwhelming. Everything about this tool is great--I can upload receipts instantly and assign a client and project to it. I'm always aware of the status of my reimbursement. It also is great for international travel, converting currencies. I get reimbursed quickly, which leads me to believe that the reporting is organized and easy to approve.

Justina Eze

Expensify helps stay in touch with our expenses.

Reviewed 2018-07-05

Expensify has amongst the best support structure for users of any past or current software used in my organization.From the initial setup process to the day to day troubleshooting of any obstacle encountered while using Expensify ; they have been of excellent assistance.Apart from human support we get as customers, we also get access to series of videos and webinars which enable us better maximize the Expensify platform. By using Expensify ,we have efficiently been able to manage employee expenses across my organization ; ensuring our expenses stay well under control.

Jahangir Alam

Smart Solution for all kinds expense reimbursement and reporting.

Reviewed 2018-10-09

I have been using this software tool from 2014 to till now. So, I am used to submitting all of my company expenses via Expensify weekly based. It's really helpful and amazing tools who saved my times and make my all financial reimbursement process easy and simple. There is some issues, bugs and updating with longtime issues which are really frustrating. I hope Expensify team will improve this matter soon.1. Simple, anyone can easily operate this app/website without having pre-training 2. Website Design, useful tools to create reports are really great. 3. Report generate, modify is pretty simple and smart AI system to rectify any man-made error. 4. Controlling and distrubuting reports to multiple label of Finance and Accounts are highly streamlined.

Anonymous

Upload receipts and easily generate expense reports

Used monthly for 1-2 years
Reviewed 2018-09-08

Simple expense reporting software with automatic tagging OCR for receiptsMy favourite feature is by far the receipt scanning ability. Whenever I travel abroad for business, I come home with a handful of receipts as I don't have a corporate credit card (I do not travel frequently enough). Taking photos of all of my receipts and dragging them into expensify saves me a tonne of time. I've also heard from colleagues that there are features to integrate with taxi/uber apps so that business travel is automatically raised as an expense but I have yet to try that out. Basically, the more automated the process of putting in expense reports can be made, the better! I rarely use the mobile app to put expenses in, just by virtue of the fact that I usually just email all the photos to myself to do back in the office, however I do like knowing when expenses have been paid or to check up on their progress from mobile.

Andrew Payne

Ideal for a small business

Reviewed 2018-06-26

Being a small business without a full time bookkeeper, we use Expensify to keep all the many expenditures and accounts organized between sessions with our accountant. Expensify's integration with Quickbooks Online is very helpful as well.

Fantastic Tool

Used monthly for 2+ years
Reviewed 2019-03-06

Overall, we really like Expensify and the pricing structure works so well for us given our infrequent use. There are many features and functions that we don't need as a company, but considering the features that we do use are so easy, I would guess the rest of the product is just as great!We mainly use Expensify for reimbursement reports and to track credit card receipts. We don't even use it to its fullest function and still highly recommend it. Especially now that the pricing is based on usage, it's a no brainer! You only pay for it when you use it and based on how much you use it, which means there's really no risk in purchasing a subscription! It also makes reviewing and reimbursing reports easy and the historical reporting is very handy if a question arises after the fact.

Steve Cochran

Expensify has helped us manage our expenses and brought our whole team to the next level!

Reviewed 2018-06-12

Helped our whole team better manage our expenses and finances. And helped our small nonprofit stay on top of our finances and stay compliant. Extremely simple and intuitive. Snap a picture of a receipt and let the software do the rest. It's like having your own personal finance assistant. I love it!

Matt Decker

Expensify is making personal expense reporting so much easier (minus the technology learning curve)

Reviewed 2018-08-01

The software makes expense reporting super easy! After the initial set-up and learning curve, it saves time from both an employee who submits the report and the person that approves the report. Expensify's best feature is that you can easily add an expense to an expense report at the time of creating the expense (snapping a picture with a smartphone app) rather than waiting until the end of the month to create the whole thing. Since we arranged our settings to auto submit, a report gets sent on a timetable that works for us (monthly). This feature allows expenses from piling up. The set-up felt intuitive to me. We were able to adjust it to our own General Ledger codes. Features like emailing receipts to the expense report and smart scanning (the app attempts to read and auto-fill each receipt) makes completing the report much easier. Our office doesn't use direct deposit to bank accounts after the report is properly approved, but it does have that feature.

Tom Melvin

Makes one of the dreaded things that you hate to do for work (expense reports) super easy!

Reviewed 2018-04-09

Makes getting my expensise reprts done so much quicker and easierEasy to uplaod reciepts. Love the ability to make a purchase, take a picture of the reciept, uplaod the picture and being able to get rid of recipet and not have a ton of recipets filling up my wallet when I travel is AWESOME!

Josue Hernandez

Really good software to keep track of expenses.

Reviewed 2018-07-26

This software helps me keep track of the daily expenses and it helps me import the date to quickbooks really quick and I can keep in order all my accounts This software is one the most important tools on my daily used to keep track of expenses and to import the data to quickbooks for more efficient way to have all our accounts in order

Anonymous

Great in theory, from a bookkeeping POV

Reviewed 2017-12-21

When working properly, it easily brings account codes, jobs and copies of receipts into accounting software. It links to various credit cards with the paid version for easy reconciliations. The biggest benefit for my application was having the individual card users coding and providing backup for their transactions with the ability to then very easily reconcile in the account software (I use Xero).

Nivin Jospeh

Simplify the process of managing your receipt and expenses using this cloud-based application.

Reviewed 2018-08-05

The mobile and website interface is very user-friendly and easy to set up and implement. It provides a lot of integrations with other accounting tools like QuickBooks and NetSuite that helps in facilitating direct reimbursements. From the time you get your receipts, it automates the expense reporting process. Manual entry is eliminated, reducing majority of errors by employment of OCR technology. They provide attractive and affordable monthly plans. While you sync your corporate card, all your transactions get synced automatically. You don’t have to wait till you reach your office to scan your receipts, you can just take a photo of the receipt and upload it. You can categorize and put filters to your expenses. It eliminates paper receipts by using these scanned receipts. Reduction in the time consumed for reviewal, approval and reimbursement process.

Brittany Russel

Makes my life easy

Reviewed 2018-01-11

Ease of use! After taking a pic of receipt for credit card charge for the business card then it just handles it and tries to code it where it did last time! I just love that! My clients also love it so I am a big fan. It helps us do the pre accounting we need.