All categories

Learn why GetApp is free

Expensify Reviews

Pros

I love the ease of manually creating receipts and adding them to Monthly reports. The organization options are great for when it's time to file taxes.

Read the full review
It's a nice incentive to encourage cost savings for the company and really nice for employees if you aren't too particular about your lodgings.

Read the full review
As a user, expensing is super easy with Expensify, added on the phone app you can upload receipts and send for approval all from the comfort of wherever you are at the moment.

Shoaib S.

Read the full review
God forbid you should have a problem requiring tech support. Since they don't offer phone support, problems that any other company could solve in less than a hour can drag on for days and weeks.

Alan K.

Read the full review
The upside is that you can edit data if necessary, so it's really only a problem in rare instances. Other than that, I really don't have any criticism for Expensify.

Ben B.

User Friendly Interface

Great system to help track employee spending. The credit cards act as debit cards which is good if you’re a company that is trying to not live on credit.

Pros

Minimal learning curve if your team us any experience with expensing items in a software format. You can fix mistakes really easily and there aren’t a ton of buttons to wade through.

Cons

Sometimes new employees need to get reloaded to allow them to bill items to customers. That might be the accounting firm that we work with a fault though.

Smoothest expense reporting software ever

Overall, everything has been good with Expensify down to the coding for my purposes. Users like that it literally creates a report they get paid for almost immediately without them having to nag accounting. It's a win win for everyone and well worth the cost per user.

Pros

The ease of use for our employees is great and very intuitive. I can make changes on the fly to reports if another user doesn't have it quite right for accounting purposes. It categorizes everything including mileage right where it should be.

Cons

Integration with our accounting software would probably be very easy if I could get higher ups to agree (They worry it might not flow correctly). I do have to take some manual steps to make that happen - otherwise there is nothing I want to add to the Con List.

This is a Required App for Those who Travel or are Accountable for their Business Expenses

I was first introduced to this software while working for another company. We were expected to use it for all of our expenses and submit our reports with it each month. It made this process so simple and frankly, I would have lost track of my expenses if I hadn't had it. I loved it so much I continued to use it when I started my own business. It makes accounting for your expenses extremely easy.

Pros

It's super easy to track your receipts during travel or at anytime really. You just scan your receipt with your smartphone, enter the amount, choose the account or category and you're good to go.

Cons

There isn't anything bad to say about this software. It works great and saves so much time and frustration because you are tracking everything as you go, while you are thinking about it.

Affordable and Convenient , yet I plan to leave expensify

it is worth trying. but unlike even a year ago the competition is finally offering similar features for similar pricing.

Pros

due to popularity it is easily assesable and offered many ways to upload an expense. I like how unlike most app/software companies gets it as they make if affordable and capture the biggest marketshare.any companies think their software is be get tham it is and is cost prohibitive or have user minimums which usually are not applicable for small business. I love how they are one of the few to offer personal credit card integration feeds. Believe it or not most do not and actually expect us to upload statements

Cons

buggy at times, doesn't transition from mobile to desktop or we based version. mobile app.has far less ability. mostly if fails at the main purpose, saving me time. every months nearly every expense is duplicated, failing to match itself to the credit transactionnand this takes forever to fix. It only sycs properly to the credit transaction if the receipt photo is taken from then app. if you try to upload screenshots? email you invoiced and use the ios "Sent too function" it duplicates the transaction..tech support actually told me to wait for the bank before uploading the receipt. This eliminated the entire point of the product.

Good Product - Truly Awful Onboarding and Support

While the product is good if you don't have any complications, the onboarding and support are probably the worst I have ever experienced. After a brief training session, there is no longer any phone call support allowed (only email and chat and the delays could be many hours and often days). More recently with the COVID-19 situation, their usage has plummeted so they recently announced a doubling of pricing (100% increase) to all users if they don't switch to using their credit card which for many companies (including ourselves and including reasons like the cc syncing problem) will not work. The message about the price increase was hidden in a very very long email from the CEO titled something about support improvements.

Pros

It is easy for the end user to use, particularly given the mobile app. It has a lot of good controls and notifications for potential user errors or abuses.

Cons

The credit card sync features often don't work or are significantly delayed (days, weeks if at all) which causes unintended reimbursements for non reimbursable expenses and messed up accounting.

Super Easy to Use but Wish Quickbooks Integration Was Better

Use it to capture all expenses among our team. Works great on business trips. No more receipts stuffed into a suitcase on the way home. Does a good job of importing chart of accounts from Quickbooks. Easy to set rules (i.e. must have receipt for expenses above $25). Helpful having 4 options to add new expense - photo, email to Receipts@Expensify, upload receipt file, manually create. Great digital record capturing photos of all receipts. Nice to only pay per active user per month.

Pros

This is a great tool to capture your expenses. The interface is super easy to use--just taking a picture of a receipt and letting the tool fill in the necessary information.

Cons

Haven't been able to get the online version of Quickbooks to integrate with this, so our accountant still manually enters / uploads the expense report info every month

Absolutely a joy to use

Expensify makes it easy for employees to submit timely reimbursements, whether from their phones or the browser. On the other side, Expensify also makes it very easy for the expense administrator to approve reports.

Pros

The UI is so snappy and intuitive to use. Uploading receipts, finding what category to use, finding out if your expense is over budget--the UI tells you all exactly where you expect it.

Cons

This isn't inherent to the product itself, but I found customer support difficult to deal with. When I ran into a bug where the reports I had previously submitted disappeared, I had to wait a few days before they got back to me via email and their first question was basically "are you sure you had submitted them before?"

Snap...... and its done.

From all the other products i tried, this is by far the best and easiest to use.

Pros

The best feature is the smartscan feature. Once you set up the currency, it segregates everything accordingly and saves you the trouble of manually entering it. Even if you have no internet connection, it saves the request and once u go online it will analyze the scan and store it for you.The reports generated are also very well detailed.

Cons

I had a technical error, maybe it was my mistake, because it didnt happen to any of my other collegues where the expense trip report closed automatically. But that is easily solved by logging on the web version and activiating it again.

Expensify Review

It's a good program that keeps track of expenses. I've found it to be very convenient and user friendly.

Pros

It is so easy to load in your information, and it guides you along the entire process, as well as providing reminders if you haven't submitted, and lets you know when you will be reimbursed.

Cons

I tried letting the program read my receipt once, and it took forever. Just manually enter the information and you'll have no problem.

Expensify - Great variation of tracking options in a well designed interface

Pros

The interface was clear and concise. Intuitive features for compartmentalizing personal, work project, or entirety of work travel expense tracking (personal + company).

Cons

Some confusion regarding the ability to delete or remove previously filed reports which no longer are valuable to user interface (now tracked via work email correspondence). Seems the only way to 'delete' previous reports (aka grouped singular expenses relating to dates or project), is by filtering them out. Some may prefer a cleaner 'deleted' organizational method, but the same can be achieved though filtering exclusively.

Expensify Expense Tracking

I originally used this software because it was the most straight forward "fool proof" software that allowed me to manage and track several employees travel expenses and business mileage and keeping it as simple as possible for the employees. By implementing this software into our expense tracking, our employee's no longer have to worry about paperwork and keeping track of physical receipts so long as they take a picture of it in Expensify.

Pros

The feature that won me over is the softwares ability to extract the necessary relevant information from a picture of the receipt and its reliability to accurately create an expense entry automatically. The other feature that really stands out is the dedicated email address you have to send receipts to the app. This feature is great because of rules i have established in outlook so that any "receipts" from certain companies automatically gets forwarded to my Expensify account.

Cons

Occasionally, when I was trying to submit a few large reports the app would freeze up on me. Otherwise I cannot think of any negative experiences I have had with Expensify.

Great Expense Report Software for Small Enterprise

I used this software extensively in a previous position, both as administrator and user. For a small organization, this is an excellent expense reporting software product which will easily allow you to go 100% paperless. All receipts are uploaded digitally and you can take photos of receipts on your phone and upload them onto the app (which is a great app). Once submitted, the routing is very nice...

Pros

Ease of use and implementation, low monthly cost which can be scaled as you add or remove users, completely paperless system and ability to take photos on your phone and upload them to the app, and ease of routing and tracking.

Cons

You will not get a lot of customer support and it doesn't integrate well into other applications. I don't think you would expect this of a product at this price though.

Thank you for the thorough review, Isaac! Apologies to hear our support is not as fast as you'd like, this is something we're heavily investing our resources on and you should see faster response times soon! In terms of integration, please let us know at help@expensify.com if you're looking for something in particular. For a full list of our current integrations (including QBO, QBD, Xero, etc), check out https://use.expensify.com/all-integrations/. Have a great day, and thank you again for leaving us a kind review! We're so glad we're making expenses easier for you and your team!

Good Resource

Pros

Our company went from using excel spreadsheets to monitor spending and expense reports to using Expensify once it was launched company wide a year and a half ago. In comparison to the old way of doing things, Expensify is a huge improvement. The software can sync with your corporate card (or personal card, if you'd like) so all your transactions are pulled into Expensify automatically. The only time...

Cons

There are some features that have limited options for settings. The first example that comes to mind is if you take a picture of a receipt on the Expensify app, it will automatically mark that expense as reimbursable, even if you it's not.

Convenient Expense Reimbursement Software

Overall great employee expense reimbursement system for small/midsize business. Easy to use and implement. Would definitely recommend!

Pros

I love using Expensify to reimburse our employees. It is super easy for employees to create expense reports. Expensify also has approval workflows which allows employees to submit their expense reports to their managers for review first before submitting to finance for reimbursement. Expensify is also integrated with our accounting system which allows me to sync expense reports without having to manually enter expenses again. The payout process is also super simple and can be done directly through Expensify by connecting your company's bank account.

Cons

I wish reporting was done easier in Expensify. Creating a report could be tricky (Expensify requires you to use formulas) but overall it is manageable if you learn a few tricks.

Expensify to the Rescue!

Organization. Receipt management.

Pros

I work overseas. Mostly in Europe and my company is based in California. I work for an international charter school organization basically travel for a living while meeting with government entities about educational opportunities. My whole life is expenses. I spend my own money and get reimbursed so it's critical that every receipt, every lunch, hotel, meal, every expense is documented and saved. I'm...

Cons

Nothing. Expensify is the most complete travel expense app on the market.

Expensify for Ecommerce

My overall experience with Expensify has been top notch. It really has helped our company become organized and has completely streamlined our expense tracking with ease.

Pros

Expensify is hands down the best expense tracking choice for our company. There are a lot of pros to Expensify. Their customer service is amazing, always responding quickly and answering my questions in a very understandable manner. Their app is what we use most, it's simple and easy to use - having every feature you'd every need for tracking expenses. I've also done some research on their company culture and it seems like they really invest into their employees lives. This definitely looks like a great company to work for.

Cons

There aren't many cons for Expensify. But if I had to choose something, it would be that the app doesn't real-time-sync with the admin system, you have to manually re-sync when something changes. For example: When the admin adds a new expense category, it doesn't show in the app right away unless the user manually "syncs". At the end of the day, this really isn't that big of a deal.

Worst customer service

the software when working is great but the customer service is the worst I have ever worked with in the world and they don't care about paying clients

Pros

easy to track expense connects with stripe to invoice easy to mark paid

Cons

when a problem happens customer service does not exist problems can last over 1 month no credit for the system not working they want customers to fix issues that are their problem no managers in the company

Expensify is good for business, but bad for personal use

My overall experience with Expensify was mind-numbing, but I think that was due to the nature of my job. The actual site and program was not bad, but again, it's tedious for anything other than business purposes.

Pros

What I liked most about this software, Expensify, is that it allowed for bulk imports and would often suggest categories for certain items once you upload enough receipts and it could find a pattern. In my position as General Manager, I had access to a company card and Expensify is how we kept track of everything before exporting it to our company's accountant.

Cons

What I liked least about this software, Expensify, is that it often flagged certain receipts for being duplicates or for being incorrect despite that not being the case. Unfortunately, this prevented you from saving the files correctly until the "disputes" were corrected. For a business, this can make sense or be rectified as the totals are all that really matter, but for personal use, keeping track of tiny margins and trends becomes a lot more important and needs to be protected.

I love Expensify!

Save tons of time for reviewing, approving and reimbursing to employees.

Pros

It saves employees a lot of time and hassle on doing the paper work including keeping the receipts. Employees only need to take a picture of the receipt and submit with their phone. It is easy and timely. If expenses are not submitted immediately, at least the scanned receipts are kept in Expensify for employees to submit anytime later. With the feature of the scanned receipts, no more keeping the stack of paper receipts!

Cons

Syncing Expensify with accounting software (Xero) in order to get a complete and updated customer list is not 100% there yet. A lot of times, we couldn't submit an expense marking billable because the customer is not available in the drop down window in Expensify. This requires accountants like us to do extra work in accounting software (Xero) to fix the entry.

Expensify is pretty good

Overall I think Expensify is a solid product but I do believe they would do well to add a lot of functionality from an administrator / accounting perspective.

Pros

I like the ease of loading receipts and drilling down into an expense report to find the data I need for accounting purposes. I like the user interface. It's extremely easy to add a new user and our new users never really have questions so I think the users find it easy to navigate. I love that it interfaces with our accounting software creating a seamless exchange of data once everything is set...

Cons

I think the product is lacking altogether in Reporting functionality. There's really not even a "Reports" module to speak of. You have to basically go in and pull your own data from the modules ...it makes everything feel clunky and unprofessional. It's also tricky to find what you need in settings, from an administrator perspective.

Simple and Easy to Use Expense Tracking & Reimbursement Software

Overall, I'm satisfied. Expensify greatly reduced the time required to process and review staff expenses, both those charged on their own credit cards and corporate credit cards.

Pros

Easy to set-up and use. Requires minimal user (employee) training. Integrates well with our accounting platform, Xero. Love the corporate card integration function, which allows administrators to track pending translocation and overall management of the credit card account. Cost is fair.

Cons

Can improve on reporting/analytical capabilities of transactions processed via Expensify. Customer service is almost non-existent, have to rely primarily on community forums to troubleshoot.

Best expense tool

Expensify has made our expense reporting so much more simplified and saved everyone so much time.

Pros

Expensify is in my opinion the best expense option on the market. It is so easy to use and makes expense reports a breeze.

Cons

Not really anything I dislike about expensify, but what I like the least, is I wish the software was a little smarter and able to match expenses if the receipt date is a day or two off from the billing date.

Superb cloud expense reporting

Pros

Expensify has made everything regarding expense reporting easier. Snap photos of receipts. Auto scan them for information. Connect credit card or bank accounts to automatically draw data for expense reports. Submit to multiple approvers. Get immediate responses. And Expensify continues to develop and support the product very well. We have recommended Expensify to many other organizations like ours.

Cons

Sometimes the connections to financial accounts break. And I'm notified of the fact. I have to notice it myself and wish there were an automated notification.

Great app for tracking expenses

Overall, I would highly recommend this app for anyone who needs to keep track of expenses. It simplifies the process and makes keeping track of receipts so easy. I don't pay for the monthly fee because I don't have enough to track, and an option to buy it outright might be nice for someone like me, but if I had a lot to track I can see the low monthly fee be a worthwhile expense.

Pros

It's simple, easy and keeps me organized. I am not naturally organized (I would just as soon throw a receipt out as try to remember to keep it and then submit it to my office) and so I have to intentionally work at it. This app makes it quick and easy. You take a pic and add some info and it's done. I don't pay the monthly fee because I don't have that much to track, but if you do I would think it's well worth the money. It breaks your expenses down into manageable categories and works offline if needed. If you need help staying organized or just want less paper to keep track of then I would recommend this app.

Cons

There really isn't anything about this app that I dislike. It does what it's supposed to do and it does it very well. Maybe if it integrated with my phone camera so when I take a picture of a receipt it automatically gives me the option to import it into Expensify? Maybe that's a pipe dream...

I WOULD NOT FUNCTION WITH OUT THIS APP!!!

My life is easier, I don't have to hang on to receipts that lose their ink. And it automates everything. I love it!

Pros

My favorite function of this app is that I simply take a photo of my receipt and it inputs EVERYTHING. It inputs the name of the place the receipt is from, the amount of money, and the date on the receipt. It's so simple! It even transfers my receipts from British pounds to US dollars automatically for me when I'm traveling. Or Canadian, or any other country I'm in. It does the conversion for me. Everything is automated. My life is so much easier, and I don't have to carry any receipts around with me. The other favorite thing is that once I'm ready to send a report in, it can be for the month, or a specific trip, or what ever, it emails the entire report broken down into categories for me in a PDF file with the receipt photos attached in the PDF. BOOM!

Select your country

10+ YEARS RECOMMENDING SOFTWARE

© 2010-2021 GetApp. All Rights Reserved.