diagrams.net Logo

diagrams.net

Open platform for creating & sharing diagrams

diagrams.net Reviews

4.6

How would you rate diagrams.net?

Pros

Good tool in the price range to collaborate on collectively and deliver great results. Easy to integrate on the cloud and can be shared as a Google document as well as edited within the shared file.

Simisara J.

This is probably the best free tool to use to create any kind of flow chart/diagram chart, the ease of use is perfect to roll out to the whole company with no training needed.

Rv

Ryno v.

Best of all, collaboration is just as easy so you can work with anyone or just yourself and share.

PK

Prince K.

Daniel T.

If there is an error with Goodgle Drive, then draw.io is out of our reach, which can be very inconvenient if we need access to our charts.

JH

Julianne H.

Well, if you did not save and download all of your drafts in several formats before turning your device off, you would experience unpleasant problems with recovering your drafts then.

Olga B.

Fantastic Flow Chart Tool!

Transcript

Andrew A.: My name is Andrew, I'm a co-founder. And today, I'm reviewing diagrams.net, and I give it...

My favorite tool to draw diagrams

I think diagrams.net is a great easy and free tool to create you own diagrams and paste it directly to your Confluence page or export it to send it or place it anywhere.

Pros

diagrams.net makes very easy to create diagrams. By simply drag and drop, you can create your desired diagram in a few minutes. It also works very good in combination with Confluence.

Cons

I think it lacks more collaborative tools in order to be able to work together in the same diagram as, for example, Miro.

The best diagramming software in my opinion!

I just can't get over how easy and intuitive diagrams.net is to use! It literally took me less than 10 minutes to create my first diagram with many different elements, and the software was so easy to figure out that I didn't even need to read the manual. The range of templates is also really impressive, and it's great that they have a free trial available.

Pros

I think for me the best thing about diagrams.net is that it's easy to use. I am not a designer and I know nothing about Photoshop or anything of that sort, so being able to accomplish so much just with one interface - and some good templates - is a relief.

Cons

I have been using diagrams.net for a couple of years now and it has been amazing. There are not too many cons to be honest but the main one I can think of is that you are only able to insert a certain number of equations before it converts the rest into pictures.

draw.io

For a free alternative to Visio, this is a great tool! Our company mostly uses Visio for process diagrams that are pretty in nature and given Microsoft's licensing structure, it is a pretty hefty price to do so. While we have some general resistance to change, for the most part when people start using it they are convinced.

Pros

The design is intuitive and easy to play around with to figure out how to do the things we need to do. Additionally the OneDrive integration is great for us as it is a concept our users are comfortable using.

Cons

The biggest downfall to this software is people's resistance to change and a new thing they are not used to. Because this is web based instead of installed software based, we have seen people show unease and resistance to using the software. Having an installed version may help this transition more. Additionally the text controls within shapes are a bit limited.

Perfect for quick diagram sketches

Pros

My favorite thing about diagrams.net is how quickly you can start drawing. Using the web interface I can create simple, good looking diagrams in minutes.

Cons

I don't like the style of the basic web shapes and think diagrams.net needs more customization options if used for drawing a network maps.

Great diagraming app

I use diagrams.net to create process flow charts, plan out data models, and other business-processes in a visual way. It’s been very flexible and allows me to create, collaborate, and share things quickly and easily.

Pros

Very easy to pick up and begin using right away. Provides the ability to start with a template they’ve created, create your own, or begin with a blank canvas. Allows for mind-mapping, project planning, flow diagramming, process flow definition, and beyond.

Cons

Some of the object styles make it hard to read text, could be more adaptive for text color when changing the fill color of things.

A quality, cheaper alternative to Visio

Excellent, 5* stars would recommended this to any small business looking for a cost effective way of mapping processes and producing process flow diagrams.

Pros

As easy as Visio to use and the free version has all of the functions we need so a good quality cost saving.

Cons

The free version does have some limitations but that hasn`t had an impact on what we need the software to do.

Excellent tool for flowchart and building business processes

We have been using diagram.net for over a year now to build flowcharts and business processes.

Pros

UML based diagram, writing business process, open source, Integration with GitHub and Dropbox

Cons

Diagrams.net does not provide any cloud based storage solutions to store the flowcharts and processes. Users have to arrange for their own.

Free Diagram/Flowchart tool

Pros

It is a free open-source tool and has a good collection of icons/connectors for designing flowcharts and diagrams. It also has a web-based tool which is a plus point when you are not able to download the tool.

Cons

Compared to similar tools in the segment, it lacks some critical features like import from excel/cloud save that are stopping me from completely shifting from visio to this. Some elements should be fine-tuned to make it a more Professional tool.

Any diagram you need you can do there

I use it when design architecture for my clients. It allows me to use different templates, different types of models and styles. It's quick, simple and I can consult projects with others and work with them on it in real time

Pros

- intuitive interface and simple drag and drop feature - possibility to import your templates - template images can be shared in other projects

Cons

- aligning shapes and whole diagram is not possible - there should be possibility to align whole diagram with few clicks

Diagrams for DB

Great experience and excellent way of looking at the db structure

Pros

I like how neat relationships can be modeled for a database schema. I like the common presets save a lot of time when adding new entities or fields

Cons

Getting used to how to connect the entities to create relationships took me a while to understand

Indispensable for Studies!

That's just Splendid. Spectacular. Studious. Superb. Really remarkable. I cannot imagine how I would have done without this thing. User-friendly, responsive, adaptive, trustworthy, reliable, relieving! Easy-to-use and flexible. Comfy and effortless. Efficient and Effective. The best tool I have ever used for my studying, working and research activities! Powerful and simple.

Pros

Well, this service reminds me about the most memorable, pleasant and amazing time in my life. I was doing my first Master's at the Higher School of Economics (Moscow) and my daily studying routine included using different apps for creating presentations, slides, docs. I had not known any good app for creating block schematical diagrams and one of my group mates (she actually had a Bachelor's degree...

Cons

The to-go tool for small vector graphics

Once for a project we had to create an UML sequence diagram. We used draw.io for this . It worked great, it looked fantastic. Until we noticed that we forgot some calls so we had to add more boxes and more arrows. We thought that surely we could just drag what we have around a bit without breaking everything but no. Luckily it wasn't very big yet so we started from scratch and did not connect the arrows to the boxes until we were sure everything was stable. There might be a way to stop the arrows from freaking out but we could not find it.

Pros

I love draw.io . Need a graphic for a presentation or some sort of LaTeX report? Use draw.io, it certainly beats fiddling around with LaTeX to get what you want. It allows you to export in .svg format (vector graphics) which you can scale to any size without loss of quality. Ever tried to increase the size of a .jpg or the like and noticed how horrible it looks? That doesn't happen with vector graphics. It...

Cons

The one thing I dislike, I'd say even HATE about draw.io are the arrows. Simple use case: You want to connect two boxes with an arrow. That's simple - except later you notice you don't like the position of the boxes and move them. Now your arrows will most likely try to bend in ways to keep the connection but by doing so they will get horribly bent and look atrocious. This is especially bad if you move multiple boxres.

The most intuitive and well-thought-out flowchart and diagram maker!

It has been extremely useful in my work to display the workflow of a mobile application to people who are not very acquainted with technology. It was indeed very easy and quick to create personalized diagrams of any size, especially because there are many templates to choose from. All those templates are crafted professionally and give you a great starting point for any kind of project. It is also...

Pros

It is very easy to style any diagram to your needs, but the default templates look great out of the box too! I don't play much with styles, but I use the other integrated tools quite a lot, including those for aligning, resizing and distributing elements. There are in fact many different elements to choose from and it's easy to find what you are looking for because everything is nicely categorized....

Cons

There isn't much to be said against such a well designed piece of software. I will point out, however, that even though I'm usually a huge fan of using the dark theme in as many applications as possible, I found it very distracting with draw.io. The contrasts weren't accentuated enough to my taste and I found it hard to see clearly the outline of the boxes in the diagram when working with a grid. The other themes (Kennedy, Minimal and Atlas) are fantastic, but I like using the default theme most.

A great alternative to a very pricey Visio

Pros

Portable - Do you want to use it in browser? You can do it. Do you want to do it offline, well, you can do it. The compatibility difference between the browser version and the stand alone version is very minimal and the lag is almost not noticeable on an enterprise level network. It has all the required tools to create a design that is industry level. Although it doesn't have all the cross platform compatibility of Visio, it does what it does in a very minimal footprint without the hefty price tag that visio carries. It is small, fast and effective. And almost no learning curve, if you have used visio at least once in your life to create a presentation.

Cons

Not many cons for a day to day design of a minimally interactive presentation. Less powerful than the alternatives in terms of plugins or cross platform compatibility. Visual bugs on the browser version on certain slow or restricted(VPN?) networks.

Finally creator of quality online diagram!

In my opinion this system is formidable, it does not require the user to download any program or plugins. Another thing that makes it exceptional and more than one user able to edit the same diagram at the same time, with real-time update, this leaves much of its competitors outdated. Draw.io is a free program that offers a range of tools, which not all of its paid contributors have, besides the ease and intuitiveness it provides.

Pros

Creator of high quality online diagram, which dispenses with any kind of program installation or plugins. Great integration with other file management platforms (google drive / dropbox / one drive / github) Extensive image database to assemble and model network diagrams, uses case, database, wireframe and better has content to assemble basic pages for websites.

Cons

Awesome system, but it can still do some things. His system of groups sometimes leaves something to be desired. And the text formatting system has some issues to use too.

An easy alternative for Visio outside Windows OS

I began to use this software on my Mac when I needed to edit or create a diagram. It was my alternative because the MS Visio doesn't have version for macOS. But, due to the compatibility problems with some files with special metadata, I finally changed to use MS Visio in a virtual machine.

Pros

It is full web software to create diagrams of flows. Has a lot of templates and objects libraries similar to the MS Visio than help to create the draw. It is compatible with the Visio files. Also, you can use your OneDrive or Google Drive storage to work inside this.

Cons

Despite you can open Visio files not always the metadata of these are open well. This generates compatibility problems between both applications. Also, I found problems using some Visio templates from my colleagues in the software.

Quick and easy

Pros

Draw.io is quick and easy. I do not need to remember any credentials. It just stores the files in my cloud storage and I can pull it out any time. I love using this.

Cons

I am not sure how secure it is when it accesses one's cloud storage accounts, otherwise, there is nothing negative about using Draw.io

Draw.IO is the easiest-to-use visual flowchart tool that I could find

Draw.io is my go-to for diagramming business processes in my role as a Business Analyst. It's very useful to present a diagram rather than explain the concepts that I can easily convert to a visual in draw.io.

Pros

-I use Draw.IO weekly/monthly depending on as projects demand -Diagrams are easy to make, and the visuals are very appealing to my target audience -Various methods for saving and displaying or sharing the content -The free functionality will suit the vast majority of users and teams -Google Drive integration

Cons

-A desktop application might be nice for certain users or teams -The built-in diagrams are nice and often used, but there is a fairly limited selection for templates -A few of the print options default to printing with gridlines with no option to remove them

diagrams.net is the best diagram and flowchart creating tool

we use to create the blueprint for the app and its working systems and send it to the developers. The process of work and tools are fantastic in diagram.net; it is suitable for both beginners and professionals, I would definitely recommend it if you are starting in diagraming and blue print design. we can share our designs to dropbox, google docs and google drive, so it is better when we create a design and share it with our development team.

Pros

The advantages of using diagrams.net - simple to use and easy to learn. we can create a Blueprint for any project. It Comes with lots of tools like basic and advanced shapes and lots of elements; we can also add Tiles tables and customize them properly. It provides various options to export our work like drive devices and others.it is good software for diagramming purposes. it is easy like drag and drop functionality. it is web based so no need to install this on your device and you can use it as portable.

Cons

When I started using diagrams.net, I was in university. Hence, at that time, I use to create blueprints for apps and systems; I found difficulty in 2 things, mainly first the exporting issue we have to be careful with the size and selection of export so that we can get better output or image. The second zoom in and zoom out is more complex in draw io; it could be better. But it gets the job done, so not a big issue while using it.

A great free visio alternative

Overall I am impressed with draw.io and though it's not my go to diagram creator, I have it ready to go as a great alternative. If we didn't have Visio already supplied, this would be the program I would use primarily.

Pros

Draw.io is a surprisingly good diagram creator, that's free. It works very much like Visio and helps create great looking diagrams. The web element makes it very easy to share and view files with colleagues. The fact that you can open visio diagrams and edit, is also very helpful.

Cons

Though there is an offline version it tends to rely on a web connection which can sometimes be a problem. It has a lot of features but it lacks a little when compared to Visio. It can take a little while to learn your way around the software. You can't complain however due to it being free.

The best tool to create diagrams

While I was attending some online courses, I learned about this tool. I am amazed that it is free because I had to pay for other apps that weren't so versatile and easy to use. I am working to promote this tool for my current job because it's easy to use, flexible, and platform-independent. And the incredible thing is that is free!

Pros

The app is web-based, so you don't have to worry about compatibility issues with your computer. You can save your files on your computer or allows you to keep it on multiple cloud platforms like Google Drive, Dropbox, Onedrive, which is very cool! I recently discovered the app for Windows 10, which gives me more freedom to work offline while I am traveling. The tool allows you to create your templates so you can create different types of drawings. It's free!

Cons

I can honestly find any fault with this tool. Perhaps since I only draw basic stuff like UML or flow charts, the app provides anything I need to do my work effortlessly. Even the problem that I could work online was solved several months ago with the Windows 10 app. It would be great to have the app available for my MacBook.

A must-have tool for making all kinds of diagrams

If you're looking for a simple, straightforward tool for drawing flowcharts and other basic kinds of diagrams, then you have found the perfect option. Give it a try!

Pros

This is by far one of the easiest programs that I have ever found for drawing all sorts of diagrams. It's deceptively simple, too--the drag-and-drop interface, which includes all kinds of helpful features such as adjustable gridlines, snapping to guides and handles, and a relatively wide range of built-in image/icon/symbol "libraries" (e.g., flowchart symbols, electronic schematic symbols, architectural symbols), is easy enough that anyone can use it. But start clicking around, and you discover that you can tinker under the hood and directly manipulate the XML code that the software is generating, which means that you can do some impressive stuff with this otherwise very basic software. And it's free, too!

Cons

While I don't intend this as a criticism, I can imagine that some people would complain that the basic features and functionality of the software is too basic or "plain," and that stylistic controls are limited. (This is, in fact, one of the things I like most... no distracting formats and bells and whistles to keep me from getting my work done!) The pop-up window at startup that invites you to start from a supposed "template" is useless and should be ignored. And it can be tricky to add symbol libraries if what you need isn't included by default.

No more headaches to make perfect diagrams.

With draw.io I can easily develop diagrams in a short time, my experience with this software has been quite good, it has been integrated with other technologies such as Google Drive, it is excellent for collaborative projects, it has a great performance and it helps me. Do not spend so much time developing the design of the diagrams, and thinking more about the information and the workflow that will follow.

Pros

This is one of my favorites for many reasons, a very nice interface, intuitive and clean, it allows me to create all kinds of diagrams from 0, real time recording, with a great personalization, besides that it is only drag and drop so I can modify everything I want freely, besides all this also allows me to export and import files directly from popular cloud platforms such as dropbox, google drive, trello, etc. It supports a variety of formats, it also has a very wide variety of predefined shapes.

Cons

It is a very useful tool, however, it is for a basic or intermediate use, when very elaborate diagrams are needed, it is a bit short in the amount of tools and customization, however it is still a great tool.

recommending this tool over and over again

I'm working as business/product analyst and use it for drawing different diagrams and models like bpmn, data flow diagrams, uml diagrams. I can say draw.io is really powerful, understanding of this tool and knowing all the options come with time and experience, and with the time love for the tool grows . By simplicity not all can see it powers, and I, honestly , was pretty sceptical in the beginning, but now I cannot imagine doing my work without this tool.

Pros

I really love this product. It is free, it is easy to use, it has all possible drawing elements for all types of diagrams, it allows to export to device or online storage (google drive), also it allows to share the diagram and collaborate with other people Also I love that it can be integrated with confluence, thank you for this I also like how elements can be easily modified, and I do not need to change the diagram - remove/add a new element, I can change it in the element code description easily.

Cons

sometimes when I have bpmn elements and move objects, not all arrows are moved together, though as I understand it is more as a feature that I haven't figured out

Fast, Convenient Tool

Draw.io is a comfortable tool to pick up and put down, and it gets the job done. Often, during my workflow, I open a new tab in Chrome, type 'dr' and the url pops up, and a moment or two later I'm constructing a quick diagram-- layout of casters on a lumber cart, for example, for a maintenance spreadsheet-- then exporting the image. Everything saves to the cloud, or I download it immediately and import/embed/paste it into the target document, and continue on.

Pros

I find draw.io almost effortless to utilize. Frequently I need to produce a simple diagram, layout, or the like and don't need the titanic functionality of market-leading image-manipulation software or its cousins. I can start draw.io without fanfare and export an image in one of sufficiently-varied formats for many of my needs.

Cons

There are some very basic things that the software doesn't to (or that I don't know how to do with the software) that either are not part of its capabilities or are not sufficiently straightforward. Ironically, simply drawing is one of the things I find the software incapable of. That said, this limitation and others don't put me off the tool, they just force sometimes annoying workarounds.