draw.io Reviews

draw.io

Open platform for creating & sharing diagrams

draw.io

Review Summary

Pros

Save options are great as well. The ability to save your work on the cloud is a great feature.

It is easy to use and supports powerful tools for showing your ideas with diagrams. I pretty recommend it for small business and personal purposes.

Radoslav B.

I love the ability to search up whatever I need and being able to interact with the diagrams I have selected like formulating connections between integrated circuits for the breadboard.

Michael W.

Cons

As you can see, that is not a big problem, but is the only bad thing about it.

Fernando d.

This is not a big problem for me but sometimes getting annoyed for that.

Fatih S.

However, very frequent users may find the lack of templates a bit annoying. But then very frequent users should also probably invest in paid, premium softwares.

Indispensable for Studies!

That's just Splendid. Spectacular. Studious. Superb. Really remarkable. I cannot imagine how I would have done without this thing. User-friendly, responsive, adaptive, trustworthy, reliable, relieving! Easy-to-use and flexible. Comfy and effortless. Efficient and Effective. The best tool I have ever used for my studying, working and research activities! Powerful and simple.

Pros

Well, this service reminds me about the most memorable, pleasant and amazing time in my life. I was doing my first Master's at the Higher School of Economics (Moscow) and my daily studying routine included using different apps for creating presentations, slides, docs. I had not known any good app for creating block schematical diagrams and one of my group mates (she actually had a Bachelor's degree...

Cons

Well, if you did not save and download all of your drafts in several formats before turning your device off, you would experience unpleasant problems with recovering your drafts then.

Flow Chart and Diagram Design for the Masses... for Free!!!

I'm impressed and still diving in to all it's features. I really like the amount of templates available to start any kind of project. There are tons of predesigned symbols to use also for free! Also, you have a bunch of export options from image files to svg for vector editing that other apps don't have.

Pros

Draw.io is an open source project for everyone. It's a robust team formerly known as diagrams.net but now it's made a really big app for both online and offline (Windows, macOS, Linux) use for FREE!!!! I've used many other diagramming tools with great results, but I'm really impressed with this tool, no registration needed onless you want to save your work online but all is done in the cloud (Google Drive, Dropbox, OneDrive, etc.) On the desktop version (a 74 MB download for Windows) can be downloaded through their Github project mini site, as well as the other versions. No payment whatsoever!

Cons

On the online version some editing and drawing functions are a little clumsy, but nothing that some patience can't solve.

Easy to use but...

overall a good experience, easy to pickup. Customer service response however is poor. Takes a long time to get back. Had a few incidents of lost maps, customer service took 4-6 weeks to respond, and at times didn't even respond

Pros

Easy to use, Easy to search. Ability to have collaboration between users. Workflow enabled to have process approved

Cons

Hard to maintain from an enterprise perspective. To an extent hard in create a standard within an organization, Hard to Audit and update versions Lost maps on occasion

An easy alternative for Visio outside Windows OS

I began to use this software on my Mac when I needed to edit or create a diagram. It was my alternative because the MS Visio doesn't have version for macOS. But, due to the compatibility problems with some files with special metadata, I finally changed to use MS Visio in a virtual machine.

Pros

It is full web software to create diagrams of flows. Has a lot of templates and objects libraries similar to the MS Visio than help to create the draw. It is compatible with the Visio files. Also, you can use your OneDrive or Google Drive storage to work inside this.

Cons

Despite you can open Visio files not always the metadata of these are open well. This generates compatibility problems between both applications. Also, I found problems using some Visio templates from my colleagues in the software.

Draw.IO is the easiest-to-use visual flowchart tool that I could find

Draw.io is my go-to for diagramming business processes in my role as a Business Analyst. It's very useful to present a diagram rather than explain the concepts that I can easily convert to a visual in draw.io.

Pros

-I use Draw.IO weekly/monthly depending on as projects demand -Diagrams are easy to make, and the visuals are very appealing to my target audience -Various methods for saving and displaying or sharing the content -The free functionality will suit the vast majority of users and teams -Google Drive integration

Cons

-A desktop application might be nice for certain users or teams -The built-in diagrams are nice and often used, but there is a fairly limited selection for templates -A few of the print options default to printing with gridlines with no option to remove them

Fantastic, lite application

Fantastic and highly useful program that should be part of all small company rosters

Pros

A lot of deep functionality for both web and desktop based versions. Custom icons expands the possibilities of this relatively simple yet elegant program. Great for process mapping

Cons

Exporting to PDF can be a bit difficult and not produce desired cropping results. Not as intuitive for continuous mapping

Great for what I need it for

We don't use it a ton, but it comes in handy when we need it. It's simple to whip up a rack or network diagram, a mind-map, or a quick infographic to demonstrate a concept.

Pros

It's simple to use, quick to pull up, and most importantly for us it integrates well with Google Drive. It also has a useful rack diagram option that does a good job of snapping to Us as appropriate.

Cons

Manual save is a little weird for a modern app, and most of the rack diagram options are manufacturer specific (I'd rather just put in a generic "switch" than look at a bunch of Cisco and other brand-name switches to see which one looks most like my gear).

Good flow chart app for free

It has all necessary tools for basic process flow charts

Pros

It's free and it's easy to use. It has all necessary tools for generating flow charts that I paste it to customer's reports and ISO 9001 procedures.

Cons

It's not as handy as MS Visio but for the price of zero, I can't complain about it. When Visio is not available, draw.io is my alternative.

It was recently outperformed by Lucidcharts

I used it for about two years. It worked perfectly and was easy to use. Nevertheless, it looked stale. There wasn't any new development. Therefore, it is pretty good as a cheap alternative for drawing many kinds of schemas.

Pros

The free version of this web application allowed you to create any kind of scheme. I personally use it for drawing software architecture diagrams and it worked very well.

Cons

It wasn´t easy to share documents or team collaboration. There weren´t many updates on it. That´s why I recently changed it for Lucidcharts.

Fantastic tool for drawing all kind of diagrams

Pros

I used this tool intensively for drawing a few diagrams for a couple of scientific publications I worked on and for creating system architecture diagrams for the projects I work for. I love the ease of use and the great integration with Google Drive.

Cons

There aren't things I didn't like so far. Maybe software icon set could be richer.

The to-go tool for small vector graphics

Once for a project we had to create an UML sequence diagram. We used draw.io for this . It worked great, it looked fantastic. Until we noticed that we forgot some calls so we had to add more boxes and more arrows. We thought that surely we could just drag what we have around a bit without breaking everything but no. Luckily it wasn't very big yet so we started from scratch and did not connect the arrows to the boxes until we were sure everything was stable. There might be a way to stop the arrows from freaking out but we could not find it.

Pros

I love draw.io . Need a graphic for a presentation or some sort of LaTeX report? Use draw.io, it certainly beats fiddling around with LaTeX to get what you want. It allows you to export in .svg format (vector graphics) which you can scale to any size without loss of quality. Ever tried to increase the size of a .jpg or the like and noticed how horrible it looks? That doesn't happen with vector graphics. It...

Cons

The one thing I dislike, I'd say even HATE about draw.io are the arrows. Simple use case: You want to connect two boxes with an arrow. That's simple - except later you notice you don't like the position of the boxes and move them. Now your arrows will most likely try to bend in ways to keep the connection but by doing so they will get horribly bent and look atrocious. This is especially bad if you move multiple boxres.

The most intuitive and well-thought-out flowchart and diagram maker!

It has been extremely useful in my work to display the workflow of a mobile application to people who are not very acquainted with technology. It was indeed very easy and quick to create personalized diagrams of any size, especially because there are many templates to choose from. All those templates are crafted professionally and give you a great starting point for any kind of project. It is also...

Pros

It is very easy to style any diagram to your needs, but the default templates look great out of the box too! I don't play much with styles, but I use the other integrated tools quite a lot, including those for aligning, resizing and distributing elements. There are in fact many different elements to choose from and it's easy to find what you are looking for because everything is nicely categorized....

Cons

There isn't much to be said against such a well designed piece of software. I will point out, however, that even though I'm usually a huge fan of using the dark theme in as many applications as possible, I found it very distracting with draw.io. The contrasts weren't accentuated enough to my taste and I found it hard to see clearly the outline of the boxes in the diagram when working with a grid. The other themes (Kennedy, Minimal and Atlas) are fantastic, but I like using the default theme most.

The best tool to create diagrams

While I was attending some online courses, I learned about this tool. I am amazed that it is free because I had to pay for other apps that weren't so versatile and easy to use. I am working to promote this tool for my current job because it's easy to use, flexible, and platform-independent. And the incredible thing is that is free!

Pros

The app is web-based, so you don't have to worry about compatibility issues with your computer. You can save your files on your computer or allows you to keep it on multiple cloud platforms like Google Drive, Dropbox, Onedrive, which is very cool! I recently discovered the app for Windows 10, which gives me more freedom to work offline while I am traveling. The tool allows you to create your templates so you can create different types of drawings. It's free!

Cons

I can honestly find any fault with this tool. Perhaps since I only draw basic stuff like UML or flow charts, the app provides anything I need to do my work effortlessly. Even the problem that I could work online was solved several months ago with the Windows 10 app. It would be great to have the app available for my MacBook.

No more headaches to make perfect diagrams.

With draw.io I can easily develop diagrams in a short time, my experience with this software has been quite good, it has been integrated with other technologies such as Google Drive, it is excellent for collaborative projects, it has a great performance and it helps me. Do not spend so much time developing the design of the diagrams, and thinking more about the information and the workflow that will follow.

Pros

This is one of my favorites for many reasons, a very nice interface, intuitive and clean, it allows me to create all kinds of diagrams from 0, real time recording, with a great personalization, besides that it is only drag and drop so I can modify everything I want freely, besides all this also allows me to export and import files directly from popular cloud platforms such as dropbox, google drive, trello, etc. It supports a variety of formats, it also has a very wide variety of predefined shapes.

Cons

It is a very useful tool, however, it is for a basic or intermediate use, when very elaborate diagrams are needed, it is a bit short in the amount of tools and customization, however it is still a great tool.

Fast, Convenient Tool

Draw.io is a comfortable tool to pick up and put down, and it gets the job done. Often, during my workflow, I open a new tab in Chrome, type 'dr' and the url pops up, and a moment or two later I'm constructing a quick diagram-- layout of casters on a lumber cart, for example, for a maintenance spreadsheet-- then exporting the image. Everything saves to the cloud, or I download it immediately and import/embed/paste it into the target document, and continue on.

Pros

I find draw.io almost effortless to utilize. Frequently I need to produce a simple diagram, layout, or the like and don't need the titanic functionality of market-leading image-manipulation software or its cousins. I can start draw.io without fanfare and export an image in one of sufficiently-varied formats for many of my needs.

Cons

There are some very basic things that the software doesn't to (or that I don't know how to do with the software) that either are not part of its capabilities or are not sufficiently straightforward. Ironically, simply drawing is one of the things I find the software incapable of. That said, this limitation and others don't put me off the tool, they just force sometimes annoying workarounds.

An awesome tool which you can draw almost any diagram online!

I was using this platform when I was in university and it was very helpful for me to do my lost of work in very short period of time. Even now, the software company I'm currently working, they use this application. We mainly use this tool to draw UML diagrams, sequence diagrams, business diagrams, layouts etc. So far this tool was very helpful.

Pros

it is easy to use because nothing to install externally; it has drag & drop functionality; they have given very helpful training materials but in my case I never used those because they have given an intuitive interface so it was very easy for me to grab most of the functionalities in short period of time and get my works done. In this platform, they have give lots of temples. You can draw, Businesses...

Cons

I don't see any major disadvantages in this platform but I suggest if they could improve their customer support bit more, that'll be great.

A great alternative to a very pricey Visio

Pros

Portable - Do you want to use it in browser? You can do it. Do you want to do it offline, well, you can do it. The compatibility difference between the browser version and the stand alone version is very minimal and the lag is almost not noticeable on an enterprise level network. It has all the required tools to create a design that is industry level. Although it doesn't have all the cross platform compatibility of Visio, it does what it does in a very minimal footprint without the hefty price tag that visio carries. It is small, fast and effective. And almost no learning curve, if you have used visio at least once in your life to create a presentation.

Cons

Not many cons for a day to day design of a minimally interactive presentation. Less powerful than the alternatives in terms of plugins or cross platform compatibility. Visual bugs on the browser version on certain slow or restricted(VPN?) networks.

Finally creator of quality online diagram!

In my opinion this system is formidable, it does not require the user to download any program or plugins. Another thing that makes it exceptional and more than one user able to edit the same diagram at the same time, with real-time update, this leaves much of its competitors outdated. Draw.io is a free program that offers a range of tools, which not all of its paid contributors have, besides the ease and intuitiveness it provides.

Pros

Creator of high quality online diagram, which dispenses with any kind of program installation or plugins. Great integration with other file management platforms (google drive / dropbox / one drive / github) Extensive image database to assemble and model network diagrams, uses case, database, wireframe and better has content to assemble basic pages for websites.

Cons

Awesome system, but it can still do some things. His system of groups sometimes leaves something to be desired. And the text formatting system has some issues to use too.

Diagrams, mockups and more in the cloud

My experience with this webapp has been excellent, I have not had any problems and use it almost daily, for uml diagrams and mockups.

Pros

This webapp is wonderful, it does not need download, it loads very fast, it allows me to export and import content directly to my drive in the cloud, as well as to my computer or device, it also allows the use of different formats and includes a great variety of maps, diagrams and many templates, quite customizable, is a highly recommended tool for daily use, since it can be used from any device at any time online and offline.

Cons

The least I like is that the interface is a bit full of many things, has many menus, and is somewhat complex when handling very small structures, it is easy to get lost among so many menus and options, it is easy to use but something more difficult to mastering.

Draw UML free

I have used draw.io many times for making ERD diagrams use case diagram and its a great free open source software product which makes ease especially for students and helps them to make their assignments and projects and of course professional people also likes to use that. Overall its great

Pros

- Its is an open source free diagram software - Number of various Diagrams formats where user can draw its desire diagram (not only simple diagrams but also technical diagrams and as well as engineering diagrams which includes circuit diagrams also) - Lot of colouring options as well that make the diagram attractive and decent looking especially for documentation perspective - option for opening the diagrams from plenty of various cloud platforms is that feature that make ease for the developers or testers - Developer can also embed the diagram and can paste that on any website he/she wants through html generated script - user can also share its diagram through gmail by clicking on share button seems like its a part of google product

Cons

- Their could be more diagram templates because if we compare it with visual paradigm I believe they have more diagramming templates

Quick and easy

Pros

Draw.io is quick and easy. I do not need to remember any credentials. It just stores the files in my cloud storage and I can pull it out any time. I love using this.

Cons

I am not sure how secure it is when it accesses one's cloud storage accounts, otherwise, there is nothing negative about using Draw.io

A great free visio alternative

Overall I am impressed with draw.io and though it's not my go to diagram creator, I have it ready to go as a great alternative. If we didn't have Visio already supplied, this would be the program I would use primarily.

Pros

Draw.io is a surprisingly good diagram creator, that's free. It works very much like Visio and helps create great looking diagrams. The web element makes it very easy to share and view files with colleagues. The fact that you can open visio diagrams and edit, is also very helpful.

Cons

Though there is an offline version it tends to rely on a web connection which can sometimes be a problem. It has a lot of features but it lacks a little when compared to Visio. It can take a little while to learn your way around the software. You can't complain however due to it being free.

Draw IO Covers All Your Needs For Drawing UML Diagrams

I believe the greatest benefit of working with draw.io is its collaboration feature. Several engineers can work on the same design which makes it better than other similar products.

Pros

I use Draw.io for drawing UML diagrams. I love that it has specific tools for UML diagrams. You can get used to the UI in under 10 minutes. Very simple, clean and intuitive design. You can export it in multiple formats which saves you the hassle of finding another product to convert your document. It also works with Google Drive/Github/various other clouds which makes storing and retrieving files very easy. It has great library of icons and templates. If you're looking for something in particular, it's probably in there. You can group and tag objects, which makes managing the diagram easier if you are working on a crowded set.

Cons

Managing the arrows can get tricky. It could benefit from improvement. While it's great, there is definitely room for improvement. They could add 3-D features, image manipulation, support some additional plug-ins.

Best tool for small diagrams

You can develop any type of diagrams in short time. It's free and it has been integrated with other technologies such as google drive, so you can save your work at any place you want.

Pros

Draw.io is completely free. It doesn't require any system space or high processing power because it is a could based online product. You can access it from anywhere in the world, all you need to have is a simple internet connection and a device. This product is very easy to work with and very good for quick diagram making.

Cons

There are not much cons to say about this software. If they can make the vectors and graphics to look a bit more nicer, that would be good. Other than that there are no cons.

Simple diagramming that just works

draw.io is used very effectively by my team to draw up solution architecture diagrams, ER diagrams and use case diagrams.

Pros

draw.io provides a diagramming solution that is simple and easy to use - no bulky flash-driven interface, no arduous loading process - it just works without any hiccups. It provides a large number of options for drawing diagrams with many pre-built templates. The amount of graphical objects that are available is also impressive. The most valuable feature is that the diagrams are stored in your own Google Drive or on your hard disk, among many other options, so that the diagrams don't get saved to draw.io's servers. This makes it a cinch to just share a draw.io XML file for anyone to work on.

Cons

The interface can be mildly buggy when working with massive diagrams.