MySQL Logo

MySQL

One database service for transactions, analytics, and ML

MySQL Reviews

4.6

2K

Rating criteria

• Likelihood to recommend8.78/10

Reviews by rating

Easy to install and free, nice tool to write SQL queries. Important for data analysts and a good tool on the market.
Overall MySQL is an amazing database for any kind of application. It is robust with almost every feature an application needs.
Great database for open-source but commercial products as well. It has very good performance and lots of additional features (like log-based replication) included without additional cost.
Error messages are not well explanatory. If you are stuck with an issue, it is difficult to get a support.
Really large databases become slow and need a lot of maintenance. Error messages are often vague and unhelpful so finding what went wrong requires a lot of work.
Worst thing is that in scenarios with multitenant databases with somewhat mediocre load MySQL starts to leak memory.

2,060 reviews

DZ

David Z.

Software Engineer

Information Technology and Services, 11-50 employees

Works well, lower cost sql solution

Transcript

David Z.: My name is David. I'm a software developer. On a scale from one to five, I would give MySQL...

FB

Frank B.

EVP

Computer & Network Security, 11-50 employees

MySQL

Transcript

Frank B.: Good day. My name is Frank. I'm an executive vice president. Today, we'll be reviewing MySQL....

Filipe F.

Information Technology and Services, self-employed

MySQL review

With MySQL i can sell more software because I can sell cheaper, and the performance is the same than others

Pros

MySQL is a great to database and is very very powerfull I use it everyday on my work when I develop web applications for my clients MySQL is reliable and have some great admistration tools with great value MySQL works very good and uses less system resources than other similar softwares

Cons

MySQL have all that I need to do my work perfect with less cost than others similar softwares MySQL works great for web applications, with good performance

Fernando d.

Information Technology and Services, 201-500 employees

The well balanced

I use MySQL in many personal projects, like my automated house project. It was a very good choice, I'm happy with this. Also, in the past, I have worked with MySQL and PHP in my company's intranet page. It was a good tool, but as the company grows, we need to migrate to another platform. Also, it is important to say that if you use the correct database engine with MySQL, you can have foreign keys and other types of constraints so it is very flexible.

Pros

MySQL is a well balanced product, while it is free to use, it also has many features you can find in corporative solutions, like SQL Server and Oracle. If you ever need help, you will find answers almost everywhere, from their own documentation to stackoverflow and other forums, easily. You will have a very short learning curve with MySQL.

Cons

When you need to deal with great amount of data, like some kind of data warehouse structure or huge amount of measures to analyze, you better go other choices. It starts getting too slow with the same hardware other products will work smoothly. But I guess that is not the purpose for MySQL. In the other hand, if you want it to build a transactional system like an e-commerce platform or even a Blog page, it is a very good choice!

TJ

Toby J.

You're better with postgres

I'm grateful to mysql as it's free - but I feel like it's had it's day as a database, and there's better open source options out there.

Pros

Mysql is easy to set up, as things like access controls are generally very simple. Thought that benefit is quickly lost if you need more complex controls. There's a couple of nice features about the mysql syntax that I like - e.g. being able to insert and update using the SET command.

Cons

Having using postgres and mysql in parallel on two similar applications, I regularly wish we'd migrated out of mysql years ago. Postgres is a little harder to set up, but then it works. I can't think of a time when I've had to go trawling through internet forums or manuals trying to explain some weird database bug. Mysql on the other hand frequently introduces it's own strange little bugs into the mix, which we've had to work around.

AK

Angel K.

Automotive, 11-50 employees

Get quick results from database query

Pros

We had lots of data and used MySQL to write queries and get results. This helped get really structured and useful data very quickly.

Cons

Error debugging can be tricky and learning all the commands.

César José R.

Computer Software, 11-50 employees

A very good option for small software development projects

To get started in application development, I highly recommend it for its ease of use and how effective it can be for handling data on a small scale. Of course, MYSQL has to be just a step to later migrate to systems that better manage data on a large scale, such as SQL Server or Oracle.

Pros

Mysql is a good tool to start in the world of software development. It offers a small but powerful product, with effective database management when it comes to bringing us useful information for the business. With a few command lines we can get all the information we need, and its installation and first use is fast and intuitive.

Cons

Although MYSQL works well for small and medium projects, in large-scale projects we can suffer a bit with information and data management, since this tool is not entirely designed to handle large-volume data. It can handle data in large volume, but the way in which it will do it will not be the most efficient or the most optimal, which can cause a certain lack of speed when deploying our project.

Adam D.

Computer Software, 10,001+ employees

Powerful FOSS RDBMS

My experience with MySQL has been positive. I haven't found an application that it wasn't suited for yet. It has allowed us to move the majority of our systems off of Windows servers onsite to the cloud. Additionally it's compatible with ArouraDB which allows us to safe money with non production sites.

Pros

I've used both Microsoft SQL Server and Oracle and what I liked most about MySQL, aside from my personal preference for it's syntax, is that it runs well on all platforms and is easy to setup and maintain. MSSQL limits you to Windows servers and while Oracle will run on various platforms it is difficult to setup and maintain.

Cons

What I like least about MySQL is that backing up and restoring databases is a pain. You basically have to dump the database to a text file that contains every SQL statement needed to recreate the database. I also feel like the MySQL dataconnector for .NET Core isn't well developed or supported. Also MSSQL and Oracle have more ease of use functions when programming.

Torikul I.

Internet, 1-10 employees

MySQL is the world's most popular free open source database

It's simply perfect that was able to fulfil my needs. Basically, I use the MySQL database for web development purposes, It was so helpful for me so far. My overall experience is really remarkable with the MySQL database.

Pros

MySQL is so easy to use and comfortable, even a lot suitable for the WordPress platforms. I like how this database has organized everything, backup process, data replacement, adding or deleting tables, find out the important data even query. If I want to do something, I can write some code as commands and all done. This database supports a query language too.

Cons

There are no cons I've noticed with the MySQL database. But I think it should be easier because newbies will get confused while using and learning MySQL. With little knowledge, you can't manage and control the MySQL database.

Joel L.

E-Learning, 1-10 employees

The simple way to manage data

Pros

In first time it's open source and it capacity of large amount of data management

Cons

Cluster creation is not simple to manage

Edwin O.

Best tool for Database Management

It is one of the best tool if you want to learn database management since it is free, simple to learn and it's performance it's really good.

Pros

First it is easy for one to learn how to use this software. It is also an open source that is one can get it online for free. Another thing I like about this software is that it works well with different programming languages as well operating systems that are Windows, Linux and MacOS. Lastly it is fast and installation is simple.

Cons

It's slow when running large databases. Using it can also be hard for people who have no experience. Lastly is the user interface that is workbench, it is not interactive thus it needs some changes to improve it's performance.

Jose Miguel S.

Computer Software, 11-50 employees

Can't go wrong with MySQL (for PHP or Java projects)

So far, its been good. MySQL is an easy to use and configure Database, with a huge community and resources.

Pros

The infinite documentation for any OS/Language combination to develop with MySQL is astonishing. You just need to go to google and search your question regarding a problem or a best practice with MySQL and you will find it, for sure. Installation is a breeze in any OS I installed on. Just a few clicks and you are done. If you got lost (hardly), google it and have your answer.

Cons

You still need to work with plain text files for advanced configurations. Stability its been improved with each release, but hurts performance by little.

AK

Austin K.

MySQL, a Great Free Database Option

I created a custom database from scratch that tracks inventory assets for the company of which I am currently employed. I also created a couple others that track IT tasks and admin activities.

Pros

Easy to use, syntax is easy to remember, database structure can be built quickly and there is a plethora of tools available to help

Cons

Syntax took some learning, syntax errors sometimes unclear as to what the error actually is. Not a problem if using Workbench

MS

Mitul S.

Information Technology and Services, 1,001-5,000 employees

Robust and easy to implement

Robust, easy to use, fast and reliable. Easy to develop stored procedures and triggers

Pros

One of the best features of MySQL is that it's easy to configure and start using. I found less of connectivity issues as compared to sql sever or Oracle. Also its platform independent

Cons

Terms used for components and features like schema and database is different than what is used in other dbms. If someone is new and migrating from SQL server or Oracle to this software, they will find the nomenclature a little confusing

DV

Dima V.

Information Technology and Services, 11-50 employees

MySQL is the best relational database language out there!

In my few years of experience with MySQL I hightly recommend it! It is a very powervul and versatile tool to manage your data on the server.

Pros

Wow where to start! The two main highlights are the ability to create highly customizable indexed data tables and the ability to query them in incredibly flexible ways! When one creates a table in MySQL, one has an option to create a primary key which is unique for every record in that table. That can then be used to easily search and reference the data in that table. One can also mark other data...

Cons

I think the biggest downside to MySQL is that there is quite a learning curve. You need to be good with structuring and organising data in theory/planning first before you approach this database language. It is only a tool, it will not do the design and architecture for you. Once you know what you want, you need to work through some tutorials and code examples to understand how to use MySQL. There are good database managers that use MySQL, suchas DBeaver or HeidiSQL, that will greatly assit you in the process - but you still have to understand how to write custom queries, so take some time to learn the language. If you don't have the time, consider maybe MS Excel or MS Access - less flexibility, but also a smaller learning curve.

Mohammad Iqbal K.

Computer Software, 51-200 employees

MySQL is lighter and fast database

Our application has 2-way interface, data-entry and user / customer interfaces. On one hand it is being used with .Net for data-entry part of application and on other hand being used with PHP for user / customer interface. The .Net part is deployed locally while user / customer interface is deployed on Azure. A in-house developed desktop utility is also being used to transport data from local MySQL server to Azure MySQL database. We are having almost 2M+ transactions in few tables, working well. It helps us to save the licensing cost. It is also being used in our other websites in backend for data storage and retrieval.

Pros

The thing I like most about MySQL is, It is available for multiple operating systems like Windows, Linux, etc. It is free and open-source. It is very lighter in comparison to MsSQL and very fast. It is very easy to learn and use. It is very easy to install, configure and manage. The syntax is very identical to the same we use sentences in English. It is capable to hold large data in tables. It is best free database with enterprise level features. It is supported by almost all popular programming languages. There are numerous 3rd party custom tools available for it.

Cons

With huge data, I had faced data loss and improper data retrieval but it is very rare and manageable. Some of the error messages are so general and unable represent the actual problem. Some error messages are so weird then the actual problem. It gives sense of insecurity at some points.

VJ

Viktoria J.

Information Technology and Services, 1-10 employees

Simple and well tested

MySQL has been around for a long time and I have been using it as my go-to database for as long as I'm working with websites. With its incredible stability, all of my websites databases are in safe hands. With recent updates it actually became even faster and more stable. I can only recommend it as the best and fastest database for small and medium size projects.

Pros

The thing I like most about MySQL is that it is free, open source, and fast. It is extremely stable, and I don't remember the time it crashed for whatever reason. Another additional benefit is that it supports multiple operating systems.

E-Learning, 11-50 employees

Strong and Open Source RDBMS

In MySql you create the database first, then the tables, and then you add records to the tables before you can query them, following the traditional structure of the Relational Database Management System.So it is flexible to operate .

Pros

It is free software and also open-source. It's much faster and lighter than MsSQL. It is extremely easy to use and comprehend. It's easy to set up, use, and run. The structure of the language is remarkably similar to that of English sentences.

Cons

I think some of the error messages are so broad that they cannot accurately describe the issue. Some error messages are more bizarre than the problem itself. At times, it creates a sense of insecurity.

Monish K.

Computer Software, 1,001-5,000 employees

Will Developed Relational Database System which supports Transactions

Had a great experience with Mysql, since it has been the core of transaction systems

Pros

Mysql is Transactional, you can commit or revert a set of actions in a transaction, it has well implemented all the Transactional feature such as primary key, foreign keys, indexing etc ... so we mainly use mysql for data collection from realtime interactions with the end user, Its Hibernate support gives a edge on realtime interactions, Mysql provides many type of JDBC/ODBC jars, using which it...

Cons

Mysql dose not support data transfer between DB and Distributed file system such as AWS S3, which most of the other databases dose, We had to use different PSQL database for large non relational data storage, since it is not the intended purpose of Mysql, so we have to maintain two database systems, it wold be better if mysql can give non transactional support as well for large data storage and analytical use case , so that it can be one stop DBS solution for all data actions.

CF

Carlos F.

Automotive, 1-10 employees

MySQL: free relational database manager

MySQL is a free relational database manager. I use it daily to manage data for several web applications (most commonly, by pairing it with PHP). It's fast and versatile enough to meet all my needs in different scenarios and for different types of data (e.g. client databases and many others).

Pros

In my opinion, MySQL has the following main advantages: 1. It's versatile and adapts to different use cases. Although MySQL is most commonly used to manage data for web applications (in what's called LAMP: Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP), it's really a jack-of-all-trades that one can use in different scenarios. 2. It's rock-solid. MySQL and its featured stability have both passed the test of time; the...

Cons

The way I see it, MySQL has two disadvantages: 1. Depending on the amount of data it handles and on how many clients connect to it, MySQL can use a lot of resources, effectively becoming a server hog and therefore requiring a powerful computer/server. 2. MySQL isn't exactly the easiest software to install and manage; it requires quite some technical knowledge.

VC

Vincent C.

Government Administration, 1,001-5,000 employees

Fast and reliable relational DBMS

Overall postiive experience - it just works once configured correctly. Even easier to use AWS RDS / Aurora for managed Mysql Instances.

Pros

Flexibility and 1st level support from most application servers via JDBC ODBC connectorsMost cloud providers offer Mysql as SaSS or additions to PaSS offerings - so in terms of reducing costs to run mysql instances, these can be placed under op expenditure.

Cons

Standalone product support can get expensive (from Oracle).Database restore for master/slave replication can get complex with bin log files manual adjustments being required to fully sync replication.

Joseph M.

Computer Software, 51-200 employees

Agrxis Review on MySQL

My experience with MySQL has led me to believe that it is a superb database management system that has significantly improved my ability to store and retrieve data. My preferred option for managing massive datasets and sophisticated queries is MySQL because of how simple it is to install and configure, as well as its solid features and great performance. The broad range of services and the strong sense of community support have been crucial in helping me overcome any obstacles I faced. Due to MySQL's adaptability, I am able to effectively manage a wide range of applications, from little side projects to sophisticated business solutions. Because of its dependability, scalability, and extensive security features, I can rest easy knowing that my data is well-protected.

Pros

I am quite amazed by MySQL and the outstanding features it provides. MySQL has played a significant role in my professional development as a database management system by giving me a dependable and effective platform for storing, managing, and retrieving data. My favorite aspects of MySQL are its scalability and robustness. It is able to handle high data quantities with ease, ensuring optimal performance even in demanding settings. MySQL is an excellent option for both small-scale projects and enterprise-level applications due to its simplicity of use and flexibility. Its broad support for a variety of platforms and programming languages enables me to easily include it into my current software ecosystem.

Cons

Even while my overall experience with MySQL has been favorable, there have been a few things that I've found difficult or that could be done better. I thought the complexity of managing and establishing replication setups was one area that needed improvement. In some cases, setting up and maintaining replication in MySQL requires complex setups and a thorough understanding of the architecture.

Marketing and Advertising, 1-10 employees

Outstanding Database System

I have been using MySQL for years now to design and deploy dynamic websites and online software. It is one of the easiest and best database systems I have used. It does have a few quirks and things that can get a little frustrating from time to time, but all in all it is an amazing system and I don't hesitate to recommend it to anyone. Because it is free there really isn't a lot of direct support for it. That said there is a huge community of users and it is normally very easy to find an answer to question or get help when you need it. This is truly one of the best database systems you can use.

Pros

- First off it is free and open source - Excellent scale-able database system - Works perfectly with Linux or Unix servers - When paired with PHP MyAdmin you can easily work inside your databases from anywhere - Excellent storage capacity and retrieval - Can easily store millions of records without issue - Did I mention it is FREE!

Cons

- Unless you want to be working in a command prompt you need to install 3rd party software like PHP MyAdmin to administrate the database; that said most hosting companies install these by default for you already. - Some built-in functions to MySQL actually slow down queries to a crawl and ignore your indexes; for example using the DATE() on a datetime column ignores any index in that column. - Not as robust as Oracle or SQL for large datasets; it will work but it does slow down performance as your data pool grows. Normally this does not happen until you get well into the millions of records and even then there are things you can do to speed up performance but it is worth noting it is not as fast out of the box as other enterprise systems.

WI

Wassim I.

Computer Networking, 501-1,000 employees

MySQL: the cost-efficient RDBMS from Oracle

Pros

MySQL was initially an open source RDBMS till it was acquired by Oracle corporation. MySQL was integrated with a very versatile web interface PHPMyAdmin which provided a full-fledged database client that allows administrators to manage the creation of database entities including tables, views, stored procedures, triggers, users, .... MySQL supports the various SQL 92 constructs including DDL, DML, and DCL SQL statements. It is not supported with advanced Undo/Redo Logging algorithms as in the case of Oracle database, but still can support advanced SQL queries with decent optimization mechanisms.

Cons

PHPMyAdmin suffered from performance lagging and bottlenecks specifically when inserting database rows. The lagging is mainly from the Web GUI since the actual SQL insertion mechanism is effectuated in the database but not refreshed in the PHPMyAdmin GUI. The latest database engine supported by PHPMyAdmin is MariaDB which suffered the same performance lagging issue. Customer support wasn't successful in figuring out the source of this bug. This is mainly experienced on Windows installations. MySQL is not open source anymore which makes MariaDB (the open source alternative) a much cost efficient choice.

Aníbal M.

MySQL is very fast and powerful for small and medium projects

I have had many benefits of Mysql, my first mysql for professional use, I have installed many systems using Mysql from content managers to web applications made to measure, I have grown with mysql for many years using it both to work in companies and for particular jobs for companies. clients I have won the congratulations of my bosses as well as promotions and congratulations from my client for certain jobs

Pros

Mysql has been my favorite database since I started programming, it's easy to install, it's simple to find an application that connects to the database and do the administration in graphical mode, many content managers and e-commerce stores use mysql by default and has helped me carry out several projects, I like that most hosting providers have MySQL support at no additional cost. It is free this...

Cons

I think that mysql needs to improve in terms of the variety of data types in other databases. I find more complex types of data that are sometimes necessary, another point that should be improved is the power of the procedures that I consider limited compared to those of others. Other brands. Since Oracle bought mysql, the community is not sure about the future of this software, so it has created mistrust in me and I do not like this.

Awais I.

Apparel & Fashion, 10,001+ employees

Mysql DB with ERPs and PHPs programs

Overall found perfect for large data, large industry data of erps, IOT devices and other complex features like sms/email applications. Queries,data handeling,data backups,table analyse,database comoaction and optimization are awesome valued aded features.

Pros

Effective to handel large data recording and reporting with in good time,while data is being entred and acessed from many users. Live from PC GuIwhereas also available phpmyadmin to acess on web and work with php accordingly, although it can be integrared with many languages programs like Java,Ajax,ASP but most of the time it being used with PHP. Work with existing filed like calculation/triggers best thing which is used BI,AI. Query reporting/response time from such large data is awesome. Query for access data almost every feature is available to get curtain form of data. UI and use is very easier.

Cons

Not generic calculation formula like excel, such additional feature should be introduced. Value based trigger should be introuduced with support of scripts, i.e if value of column (field) reaches,equals to specific value this then run this scripts ir query and put specific value on this filed etc , its currently un upavailable. Advanced statiatics are not get reported by data, like hypothesis, regerssions. No built in tool in excel.

Nigel Masimba R.

Information Technology and Services, 1-10 employees

MySQL is the ubiquitous Database platform for the web

I use MySQL with a popular content management system, and it has never, in any way let me down. Our CMS has custom database query commands, so I hardly ever have create my own queries. Even when I do manually write queries I have access to years of documentation to help me along.

Pros

MySQL is a robust, well document, secure, and interoperable database system software. Almost everyone, all the way down from the vast majority of cheap shared hosting providers up to enterprise cloud hosting providers has support for MySQL databases. I don't need to know how to write queries to use it as there are a number of visual tools to write and execute queries. It is scalable. A project can start small on a single server and grow huge to work in a distributed cloud ecosystem.

Cons

Learning MySQL is a steep learning curve however you don't have to learn it in most cases as there are frameworks, and visual tools that create MySQL queries for you.