PagerDuty Reviews

4.53/5 (38 reviews)

Jo Booth

From 10,000 emails to one actionable alert: PagerDuty

Reviewed 2015-04-30

I started trialling PagerDuty and other alert aggregation services after accidentally sending myself 10,000 emails. One thing PagerDuty does and does well, is cut through the noise, and helps you focus on the actionable issues. With integration with almost every alerting tool out there, including basic email - integrating a PagerDuty alert into your application or service is far too easy. The pricing is reasonable, and the phone and SMS alerting options work well, even in New Zealand. The PagerDuty app itself makes being on call so much easier, with simple acknowledgement and resolution actions, next to escalation and incident collaboration features. Having user controlled customisation, you can setup the alerting to suit your connectivity and support your sleep. After 6 years on call for a critical NZ wide system, I can say PagerDuty is refreshing change to the game. Don't hate the pager...Simple setup and easy first alert. Comprehensive incident management, reporting and analytics to focus on what matters. Highly configurable alerting that is controllable by the recipient themselves. Easy escalation, resolution and communication features in mobile application and via the web. Well supported SMS and Phone alerting and incident management - Internationally Quick and easy support for the product - from a great PagerDuty team. Less noise, more actionable alerts with comprehensive de-duplication and alert filtering options.

Nizam Shamsudin

Want to receive less complaints from management about response time?

Reviewed 2015-05-01

Need a pay rise? Get PagerDuty! OK, subscribing to PagerDuty does not guarantee you a pay rise, but it will definitely lessen the number of complaints from your bosses in regards to the response time to server downtime. However, this may lead to a neat pay rise when your bosses realized that you are getting more efficient in resolving the downtime. Not only will PagerDuty alert you of server downtime, but it will literally alert you of any incidents that you may or have encountered (e.g email from clients, email from data centers, servers reaching a certain threshold, etc). Another feature that it has is that it can integrate with most of the tech sites out there (AWS, HipChat, Pingdom, etc). For Pingdom, instead of having Pingdom alerting us for every downtime, we just integrate it with PagerDuty. PagerDuty IS our focal point of alert for all our monitoring systems. With the scheduling feature, your team will be able to monitor the servers' health 365/24/7. With PagerDuty, our response time had improved tremendously and this leads to a decrease in potential revenue loss. We had tried its competitors out there (shan't name them), but nothing come close to PagerDuty. The only drawback is its pricing. However, the quality and service (and don't forget the potential thousands that it can save you) provided by PagerDuty is second to none. Highly recommended for businesses that depends on 24/7 servers uptime and definitely for business that provides 24/7 support.1) Alerts for all kinds of incidents 2) Integration with most of the common and popular monitoring and tech sites 3) Easy-to-use scheduler

Filip Tepper

Making sure you're up in the middle of the night

Reviewed 2018-02-15

While not super easy to setup, it's generally a one time things. Once you've configured PagerDuty you're free to explore all the integrations available. We use it connected to our AWS monitoring, DataDog, Rollbar and bunch of custom integrations. PagerDuty also helped us reduce to amount of alerts - it's easy to go to far, and being woken up in the middle of the night for something completely irrelevant helps you make better decisions about platform monitoring.

Anonymous

After hours queue management hasn't been easier

Reviewed 2018-03-24

If you don't have a 24-hour support center/team, this is a great tool to manage your queue in after hours scenarios. Very simple to manage and make adjustments to the operational flow for our team. The app is straightforward and works well. Text message and phone call features also are very hepful.

Victoria Castaneda

Tool used for notifications of Priority 1 tickets for our Hosting team.

Reviewed 2018-06-26

Knowing that you will get notified if a High priority ticket gets in the queue (without having to pick at your phone every time you get a work email like it used to be before PagerDuty).You can login and see the schedule for all the teams involved in the on call process. It is nice to be able to find out not only about the current week, but the future on call times as well.

laura crawford

Pager Duty is powerful tool used for production support in a best way.

Used other for 2+ years
Reviewed 2018-08-01

Pager Duty consists of quite simple set up. It provides quick alerts for all sorts of incidents. It is integrated with the most common and famous monitoring and technology sites which is considered to be the most interesting feature. This is the straight forward app that works very well. It's feature of text messaging and phone call are equally helpful. Simply by login on call process, one can easily see schedule for all the team workers involved.

harmandeep singh sethi

Bulletproof Alerting

Reviewed 2018-01-18
Review Source: Software Advice

Trustworthy notifications with user configurable channels. I like alerts by text and app, with a phone call backup. I don't know what the other guys on my team have set up. It has a mobile app You can set it override system volume so you can still hear your alerts even if you forgot to turn the volume up on your device Ability to set how many and how often you are alerted before it ends up escalating to the next person.

Anonymous

I have used pagerduty in my previous assignments. It's really a cool tool and on time.

Reviewed 2018-01-10

Timely alerting and love the pagerduty smartphone app user friendliness.the best part of this app is integration with almost anything. Good work on that.

Crucial and Fantastic

Reviewed 2015-04-30

I'm not really sure how I lived without PagerDuty. Once I started using it, I can't imagine not using it. Our ops group was/is small, and we needed eyes on at all hours, with a failsafe way to make sure someone got woken up. PagerDuty has been dutifully letting us know things are broken for 3 years, for a fraction of the cost of a manned "NOC".First and foremost, that it works as advertised. The core product has done what its supposed to do without fail for us. Additionally, the ability to effortlessly set overrides to schedules is something I've found very helpful. But perhaps more than anything, honestly, are the people. Everyone I've interacted with, be it emails with support, or discussions with our rep on the phone has been fantastic. They're enthusiastic, know the product, and eminently helpful.

CANH VU

Assigning incidents to right people at right time

Reviewed 2018-07-12

Help us to respond on time customer incidents. With multiple level responding configuration, we can believe we don't miss any urgent incidents.A powerful alerting mechanism helps quickly connect security incidents and outages to right people. I love the way it is designed to escalate incidents to people at many levels. It guarantees that an incident must be notified to at least a right person.

Works For Me

Reviewed 2018-08-06

It has been able to do everything I have wanted. API integration to email integration, it has worked great.

Bryan Fehl

Invaluable Service, Great Team!

Reviewed 2015-04-30

PagerDuty has been one of the most useful services we've purchased as a consulting firm. Our company does 24/7 monitoring of customer systems, and the ability to have an automated system contact us whenever there is an urgent issue has really helped push our service to the next level. The application is very easy to work with, changes take minimal time to implement, and if you have any questions, the product team is always incredibly helpful.- Let's you set up on call rotations with multiple users. - The product can be set up to contact you in various ways sequentially (eg email first, then text, then call). - Lots of useful integration with other apps, and a developer API. - Incredibly cost effective for how important the service is. - Reliable! In three years I've never once ran into an issue where the system failed to contact a person, or where the application configuration was unavailable (that was unplanned).

Piyush Jha

Good tool for production support

Reviewed 2018-01-18

PagerDuty is used throughout our Technology department mainly for Production Support. PagerDuty allows for robust customization for escalation policies and time between escalation. It has a nice way to schedule primary and secondary on call support and notifies the person when they're on call or off call.

Anonymous

Excellent product. Everything you need, nothing you don't.

Reviewed 2018-01-19

Pagerduty has great scheduling features and excellent options for customizing your notifications. You can use this service for *all kinds* of notification needs, hardware, software, hook it up to API's and the sky's the limit.

Daniel Umecker

Mostly positive experience. I believe the functionality could be enhanced further.

Reviewed 2018-03-20

I like that it's simple to use and does it's main job well. I get alerted properly and it's easy to acknowledge incidents.

Anonymous

The integration with Slack is a MUST!

Reviewed 2018-04-16

PagerDuty has a nice way to schedule primary and secondary on call support and notifies the person when they're on call or off call. Also, Slack integration!!!

Pascal Laporte

Great way to call somebody when something goes wrong

Reviewed 2018-03-14

Great and simple api. PagerDuty will fit easily with pretty much any software. Great feature for people on duty to select the proper way to reach them. SMS, email, phone call ....

Paul Vickers

In control 24/7

Reviewed 2015-05-01

What would we do without you? (Possibly sleep better!). We couldn't be without PagerDuty (PD). Our 24/7 out of hours on call service relies intrinsically on PD letting us know when we have an issue and ensuring the right people are contacted at the right time. We have been using PD for a number of years now and its initial fostering enabled us to give lives back to our shift support team who had to cover our non-core hours (night shift!). We haven't looked back since. Everything about the service has been improved and polished in the years since. No resting on your laurels here PD, I salute you. Keep up the great work.Superb breadth of notification options, be it call, text or app. Extremely easy to integrate with our range of different monitoring solutions and very easy to configure to our needs.

francis mwaniki

Queuing of tasks has never been made easier.Security features is a dream come true to any business

Reviewed 2018-05-10

Integration with various networking softwares made it easy to effectively response on down time issues on time.

Payne (Mason)

Moved to PagerDuty from Nagios

Reviewed 2016-04-20

In my previous job I helped maintain and manage our Nagios alert system. In my current job we use PagerDuty but I am not the maintainer of the system. I have found the phone app to be excellent. It is super nice to have a suite of tools that work with the system without many major configs or complex setup. I found that maintaining and pruning alerts to be pretty easy. It is nice to have pretty granular controls over who the alerts go to and when they escalate. It is also really nice to be able to control how I receive my alerts without having to talk to a sys admin.Control over my alerts Controls for team members and roles Integrated mobile app

Anonymous

My team uses this for on-call rotation notification and application monitoring

Reviewed 2018-03-09

It hooks into services like New Relic and Node Ping, provides many different ways to notify an individual if there's an alert, and has a good escalation policy for un-acknowledged alerts.

Anthony Gibbons

It just works

Reviewed 2015-05-01

When setting up the monitoring and altering for our company, I tested out various services. As soon as I tested PagerDuty, I knew we had found what we were looking for. The ease of integration and flexibility of on call rotas is fantastic. To add to this, the price is very low and this really helped us as a startup. I would recommend the service to anyone that needs real time alerting for their applications. With PagerDuty hooked up to New Relic, Site 24x7 and SCOM, I feel really confident that the right people will be alerted whenever we have a problem on our platform. - Low price - Excellent integrations - On call rotas - Escalation paths - Great iOS app

John Phelps

Reliable solution for on-call duty

Reviewed 2018-06-12

Our team benefits through better management of our on-call scheduleI like the app and the notifications that are available. Additionally, it is very easy to go in and modify notification rules, phone numbers, etc.

Jeff Walter

Powerful tool that keeps getting better

Reviewed 2015-04-30

Having used PagerDuty at two companies over the past three years I've seen it grow and improve from useful to invaluable. It handily beats using the scheduling built into Nagios and OpenNMS. Being able to aggregate of your alerts into one dashboard simplifies being on-call greatly. We're currently dumping OpenNMS alerts, Pingdom alerts, OpenTSDB thresholds, and manual alerts into PagerDuty and it consumes them all. With the new email parser you can pick apart the emails that come in to decide if they're opening or resolving an incident. I've had multiple sit-downs with the people at PagerDuty and I've always been impressed by their commitment to the customer. Nothing makes it into the product unless it serves a specific purpose and makes things better. Because let's be honest, when it's 4am you don't want complex and complicated. I recommend PagerDuty to everyone who does on-call work. It's that useful.

Jessica Hill

PagerDuty helps to keep us on our toes in managing our own company's software and services

Used monthly for 2+ years
Reviewed 2018-01-12

This software has helped our work teams to keep up with background processes we manage in our service, to ensure things continue to work smoothly, or to have them fixed as quickly as possible.Once everything is set up properly for your team, alerts are sent out and managed without a problem. These alerts help us to ensure things are running smoothly with our own services.