Microsoft SQL Server Logo

Microsoft SQL Server

Relational database management system for data analytics

Microsoft SQL Server Reviews

4.6

1.7K

Rating criteria

• Likelihood to recommend8.7/10

Reviews by rating

This is a great way to leverage your data to get better metrics and results. The world is driven by data these days and this is a great way to leverage that.
Very good - SQL Server have so far been a joy to work with. Along with T-SQL support and Azure integration, we're very happy with its performance and environment, including cool data visualization.
I like that it's really stable and it doesn't consume a lot of resources. It's easy to use, highly customizable, and the performance is great.
For instance, rather than receiving a syntax error, you can receive a weird message if you forget to include a comma while listing the fields you are asking for.
What I don't like most about this is that the error messages can be lacking sometimes leaving you puzzled as to what actually occurred.
For example if you miss a comma while listing out the fields you are querying for you can get a strange error rather than a syntax error.

1,783 reviews

Altaf A.

Integration Consultant

Government Administration, 10,001+ employees

Top choose for relational database

Transcript

Altaf A.: My name is Altaf. I'm an Integration Architect. I give Microsoft SQL Server four out of five...

Andrea O.

Product Support Analyst

Ease of Maintaining a Server

Transcript

Andrea O.: Hi, my name is Andrea. I am a product support analyst, and I give Microsoft SQL Server a four...

Kudakwashe N.

Information Technology and Services, 11-50 employees

Data Management made so easy with MS SQL Server

Pros

For any developer, before first they can this own what their apps are going to be developed in their should think of what server should host their database. I do believe that MS SQL Server is the best on the marketing when comes to data management and administration. The best feature that i really love the most on MS SQL Server is the ability to disable remote execution of your queries and really helps protect data integrity in case your server authentication has been compromised. You can also be rest assured that your data is consistent and accurate at all times. Yes hackers some times can try sql injection but i believe MS SQL Server its the most secure servers around.

Cons

The license key for MS SQL might cost you an arm and a leg but at the end of the day its really worth it when you think of a platform where you are able to develop enterprise apps that secure and helps with Business Intelligence.

MD

Masoud D.

Retail, 1-10 employees

A database system that you can trust your data with!

I believe we rely on Microsoft SQL Server and its great features and performance a lot. It's our first choice in terms of an RDBMS database and I believe it remains as such for a long time.

Pros

I've been using Microsoft SQL Server since version 2000 and I must say that every year the team behind it adds tons of improvements and great new features that keep this software a fantastic competitor in the market. The database engine is very clever in optimising your queries, giving insights on improvements and dealing with your complex queries. Microsoft's TSQL is very easy to understand and very easy to grasp even though in recent years the team have introduced more complex query templates but still it stands out impressively amongst the others. I also love that they have released the full version as a Developer version where you can try all the software's great features without any cost at all!

Cons

The huge cost difference between the Standard and the Enterprise version is a put off as certain features like table partitioning should be part of the Standard version.

Bruno H.

Program Development, self-employed

A Great Start To Database Management

Microsoft SQL Server software has many facets, more positive than negative. But it is undoubtedly one of the favorites of web developers and internet marketers. Since it is ideal for database management and has warranty. On the other hand you can have many tools to optimize its operation, which you can equate to multiple useful guides provided by the same company.

Pros

Is quite secure, it guarantees the security of the databases, it is very easy to configure unlike other database management programs, the installation and configuration is easier. And it also has data recovery support.

Cons

Cost, there is a free version that can be used, however for more advanced data-driven applications and functions, you will need to make a considerable investment in higher versions of the software. Also, additional investments in Microsoft software may be necessary if your company uses some or no Microsoft infrastructure.

GT

Gábor T.

Automotive, 51-200 employees

My past with MS SQL

I met firstly with MS SQL in the uni. The in one of my workplaces I became an admin of it, so as a "user".Its two sides-role widely different. Writing queries, retrieving data, manipulating the results (not the stored data) is a cool option. Easier, faster, more known then Oracle's PL/SQL I would say. The option it gives you are enormous, and how many things uses a DB nowadays are surprising. Knowing...

Pros

Can be integrated with a lot of MS and 3rd party tools.The query window is well formed.The speed of the DB is excellent, but bases heavily on your custom codes.Reports, ad-hoc table, integrations with other reporting tools, intranet websites are great.

Cons

Less training options available comparing it to other MS tools.Intergration, access management can be difficult.Sometimes not easy to track changes in your codes, mostly in big databases.Installation could be easier.It not recommended, but for IT personnel with solid knowledge.

PP

Paolo P.

Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 51-200 employees

The quintessential database server

From the administrative point of view, database management is certainly more efficient than in the past, I must say that in some cases we have been able to solve particular data extractions that without the use of the T-SQL language we would not have been able.

Pros

Microsoft has always tried over the years to improve its flagship product, achieving good stability and robustness. For administrators, the management interface is particularly useful and easy to use. SQL Server has allowed us to manage several databases at the same time from our applications without problems giving the possibility to colleagues to have, for example, always updated sales data.

Cons

Unfortunately I must also report the defects and in this case in my opinion the interface for administrators has become too slow in terms of starting in the latest versions. Sometimes product updates do not install correctly, even if this rarely happens it can create a general disservice almost always in time of need.

John R.

Information Technology and Services, 11-50 employees

MS SQL Server as our database engine

The experience has been great! Since day 1 doing my first query, up to now, many years later, doing advanced stuff, I am happy for all the support and capabilities we can develop using this tool.

Pros

The language for querying is easy to follow. Also, there is a lot of help available on the web, in order to improve your queries. A lot of communities also, are ready to assist.

Cons

A bit difficult to get assistance from experts from Microsoft when it comes to really tech issues.

Syed Amir A.

Microsoft SQL Server - Best Database

Overall experience has been amazing. I believe all our .Net applications (Close to 50) use Microsoft SQL Server as the database.

Pros

It is undoubtedly one of the best database in the world and Microsoft has just given quite a lot of features to help query out data from this tool

Cons

The cost is something which is on the expensive. Alternative options is MySQL.

AN

Anindya N.

Computer Software, 51-200 employees

Microsoft SQL Serv Reviews

Good

Pros

Programing and admistrative devlopment throught the whole database

Cons

Not for low range of database 50 or 100 levels

AK

Ali K.

Consumer Services, 51-200 employees

Microsoft SQL review

Pros

It supports various edition and we can do a proper documentation of different online products. It supports cloud database and we have option of using different tools and application and also we get support on Linux use, these are things that makes it a better app.

Cons

A little bit expensive and also the process for licensing is difficult as it keeps changing.

AM

Ashwin M.

Computer Games, 51-200 employees

User reviews

Microsoft sql server is mostly used in my fild so i like to use it

Pros

Easy to use vary helpful and most likely in team

Cons

I need to improve design and it will more effective

QG

Quentin G.

Computer Software, 1-10 employees

This sequel is better

Once SQL Server in Azure was selected, it proved to be a great experience. Security, performance and usability was ironed out for us already. We could focus on building our application rather than learning something new about cloud security or how to use a new type of database or database language variation. We have been pleased with the ability to research performance and include other features such as SSIS to accomplish our business requirements easily. Knowing that manual tasks are being completed automatically is a sigh of relief. We also will know immediately if there are any issues. We have had a great experience with SQL Server.

Pros

It is an industry standard that continues to improve to make the lives of developers easier. We are able to produce software solutions more efficiently because Microsoft continues to improve SQL Server. We rely heavily on this as critical to our business. Developers tell me how flexible SQL Server is also. SQL is more compatible with software packages than other competing databases.

Cons

Parts can be not intuitive unless you've been using it for awhile. It is a technical piece of software that requires time and training. If you need the Enterprise edition for specific features, it is expensive.

Anthony G.

Computer Software, 1-10 employees

The Only Enterprise Level DBMS I Use

We build enterprise level SAAS, Desktop, Web and Mobile applications and API's. I've been SQL Server for over a decade mainly as a DB Developer but at times as an administrator as well.

Pros

A mature DBMS with no limits. Anything we or our customers wanted has always been possible with SQL Server. First class security, speed, and connection capabilities have enabled us to create world class applications for desktop, mobile, and web. The SQL Server community is huge which is critical for those new or rarely used features. I've been working in SQL Server for over a decade and still haven't touched many of the features available. Having a robust community makes learning any new feature quick and easy!

Cons

It's not a SQL Server thing per se... but Microsoft's support in general is weak at best. I've never really had a good experience using Microsoft support as it is slow and cumbersome and many times the reps don't communicate well. The huge community is what really what makes all Microsoft products manageable as most anything you want to learn or figure out is a quick browser search away.

BL

Brenten L.

Airlines/Aviation, 10,001+ employees

Powerful and Scalable Database Software

Storing large quantities of production data to solve quality and efficiency problems has been a big use for SQL. All of the reporting and power to analyze data has solved countless puzzles for me in my job capacity. I also have done a lot of database administration for our ERP software and the tiles to tune and optimize have always been very helpful.

Pros

One of my favorite things about Microsoft SQL Server is the scalability. Whether you are using the free version for a small program running on a local machine or running an entire factory it is the same basic concept of programming and administration. I really appreciated being able to work to have a database software that could grow and expand when I need it too. Additionally the reporting and automation packages that come with it are super powerful. I would absolutely recommend using Microsoft SQL Server as anyone’s data as software

Cons

The biggest con in my opinion is that some of the more advanced features for big data analysis and high availability are in the top tier pricing which can be hard for smaller companies to afford. Other than that I have never not been able to solve a problem with Microsoft SQL.

Andy H.

Telecommunications, 10,001+ employees

Microsoft products are usually stable and reliable.

SQL Server allows a large number of accesses without affecting performance. Once switched, there are no performance issues. Many users and developers have stated that the process is faster and more convenient thanks to the application. Access is used for the database and this has led to slow performance when the number of data increases. Large amounts of data sometimes require slow operations.

Pros

SQL Server is the enterprise system database, and its toolset is provided as standard. Many departments in the company use it as a database when creating a small system. Its graphical user interface is easy to use even for beginners, and its data can be queried seamlessly from other Microsoft products such as Access.

Cons

The application has very few bugs and offers stable operation. The core elements of the product's usability remain the same despite repeated changes. Both the cost and feature set of Oracle is superior to NetSuite.

Financial Services, 1,001-5,000 employees

best of server

I have using this more than 5 years , by comparing with other server platforms sql server te best of easy use for developers as well as Administrators

Pros

It was easy of access to manage SQL server agent can manage most required part with automate rather than doing manual And also design with more user friendly compare with others

Cons

While queries of data some times have to convert it to tostring, but I hope its possible to identify and convert automatically, then developers will reduse their codings

UW

Umar W.

Computer Software, 11-50 employees

My Database Engine

It has been awsome as i am now a good Database developer because of this awsome tool.

Pros

I am not DBA but i am using it from more than 3 years from university days and still using SQL in my professional life. I like everything about from query writing, to testing using SQL profiler. Most about it is that you can do most thing by using queries and GUI as well. Its easy to connect and configure with any kind of application with single line of code. Most thing about it is its prediction while typing and highlighting errors with underline squiggly.

Cons

As a developer i cant find anything that i dont like in it. Its always more than my expectations.

Robert D.

Information Technology and Services, self-employed

Used monthly for 1-2 years

SQL Server Great for SQL Database Creation

Overall, my experience with SQL Server has been pleasant. If I had employees, I would strongly recommend them to use is as their main source to create SQL databases. It makes sense to use a platform that is specialized and can be a one stop shop. That is what SQL Server is.

Pros

I love the ability to create SQL databases separate from Visual Studio. Although you can create databases in VS, I like how SQL Server Management Studio is designed specifically for database creation. Plus, it has advanced features for database admins which Visual Studio does not. After creating a database, the admin can migrate the SQL Server database in Visual Studio.

Cons

It is difficult to learn if someone at a beginning level is using it. They will need to utilize the many tutorials provided within EDX.org, youtube or Udemy (to name a few) to learn it. It makes sense if you know how to create SQL databases and the SQL language prior to using it. If not, I suggest to learn SQL first prior to jumping into SQL Server to do database management.

Giorgi K.

Banking, 5,001-10,000 employees

A great database system for any purpose

We use SQL Server for a data warehouse project in a large bank. It stores thousands of tables and terabytes of data, so it's mandatory for DBMS to run smoothly. SQL server does its job extremely well.

Pros

SQL server is packed with features. It was a very fun job to implement it and using it is even better. Runs well, built-in tools are useful and plenty.

Cons

It takes up quite a bit of resources. Sometimes, tech support isn't very helpful. Otherwise, it's good.

AB

Anthony B.

Civil Engineering, 10,001+ employees

SQL Server | The Gold Standard

Overall, I have had an excellent experience with SQL Server. It is cost-effective, provides a great deal of functionality, and is a great piece of software for database management.

Pros

In my current role as an Application Manager, it is vital to have a means of benchmarking and assessing application performance. The tools within SQL Server, particularly Activity Monitor, make it very easy to determine when performance bottlenecks arise.

Cons

I believe the default alerting functionality could be improved. For example, I believe it would make more sense to alert the user to any failed SQL Agent jobs when launching SSMS. Currently, either alerts need to be set up individually or the user would need to view the job history.

JA

Jamie A.

Furniture, 51-200 employees

The absolute core of our business

Our overall experience with SQL Server has been formidable. This is the reason that it has been at the center of our business since we outgrew an Access central database over 20 years ago.

Pros

Installation and upgrading of the software is excellent. The additions of Query Store and other Analytics have drastically changed our ability to monitor the performance of all metrics of our Databases.

Cons

Turn around time from issuing the Purchase Order until the license is released into our Microsoft account was rather slow, when we needed the software, we had to find an alternative solution until our license was released to us.

Construction, 1,001-5,000 employees

Perfect combination of power and intuitiveness

I have worked with SQL Server for 20 years now. It is used on the backend of many powerful products and also used for small web sites as well. It's very easy to connect to and to link to non-Microsoft database systems. TSQL is very powerful as it has all standard SQL functions as well as its own.

Pros

The express edition, which is free, is more than powerful enough to serve as a back-end for most small/medium sized web sites which is great for small businesses to start and grow.

Cons

Installation of all the features can be a pain. Making sure you have the engine, agent, management studio can be confusing and often come in separate download packages.

Information Technology and Services, 10,001+ employees

Easy to configure, difficult to master

Easily the most intuitive RDBMS software out of the box.

Pros

The most noteworthy features of Microsoft SQL Server are the many tools and wizards that allow even novice users to get started by creating tables and views without extensive knowledge of relational databases. The query wizard can even assist with creating queries with its intuitive IDE. These features lower the intimidating barrier to entry that accompanies other relational database software such...

Cons

SQL Server carries a high cost subscription based licensing cost. The user assistance features provide a great introduction to relational databases, but there is still a significant and continuous learning curve. Databases continue to evolve with industry need. Anyone that interacts significantly with SQL Server during day to day database or application design may need to consider yearly training to keep up with all the changes.

SB

Shawn B.

Legal Services, 1,001-5,000 employees

SQL Server a Building Block of Tech Stack

Good overall experience. We're addressing the need to store, transform, and retrieve data. Information has become the backbone of many technological and business operations, and almost everything I work on goes through a SQL database to accomplish the job. It's one tier of applications that is used almost everywhere. SQL Server allows us to query data for reporting to end users, and also provides options to move and transform the data to different environments.

Pros

At our firm, we have a completely Microsoft tech stack; from servers, databases, middleware, peripheral applications, etc. When using all Microsoft products, it is extremely easy to connect and integrate between applications, servers, and databases. I am less sure about integrating with other providers (such as oracle), but I know its possible with a little more effort. Maintenance, backups, restores,...

Cons

When you run into an issue, it can be hard to resolve. An example would be when Microsoft data connectors aren't working. Understanding and getting the right supporting software installed is important; like OLE DB and ODBC connectors. Another difficulty can be performance. As data sets get larger, this is more important. While there are enough tools to investigate and troubleshoot, sometimes it's just a big effort to try to query tune, index, or adjust server settings to get the results in performance that you want. Queries seem to only get more complex, and data sets larger. I am pretty sure other databases will perform better with Big Data.

RB

Rob B.

Computer Software, 51-200 employees

SQL Server - One of the most powerful databases

I have been working with SQL Server for 3 years at work and at home for my home projects. I enjoy working with it. It is easy to install, easy to maintain for normal purposes and there are a lot of cool features even in the free versions - for example Express and Developer. I think that it is a very powerful engine - the latest charts also show this by putting SQL Server in one of the first places for the best Databases. I pretty enjoy working with it and pretty recommend it. For years, the companies where I have been working relied on SQL Server and my observation is that it proves its expectations very good.

Pros

1. It has different types of subscriptions - you can either test it with free versions, either use it to develop different projects or when you get in love with it - you can buy it with its powerful features. 2. It is a very good working engine. 3. SQL Server has stability, and the performance mechanisms are very cool. 4. You can maintain multiple instances and databases on one server. 5. There are a lot of built-in functions that developers can use, instead of writing their own. 6. Since the latest years, I think there are more and more new things to explore in newer versions - that is a point which shows that Microsoft invests a lot in their product. 7. It is reliable.

Cons

Since these years I didn't notice something which I do not like. On the contrary, I pretty like the product and all its features that I have been using through these years, and hope that in the future releases of SQL Server there won't be disappointing things, but only cool ones.

Giovanni P.

Banking, 1,001-5,000 employees

A fairly robust database engine with excellent functionalities

As a database engine it is a very powerful and good tool, currently very portable between Windows and Linux systems, which allows you to choose between several operating systems for its implementation, although its cost can be somewhat high, it does not require an annual licensing to maintain its use.

Pros

A very robust and quite reliable database engine provides a wide variety of tools and options that allow you to perform settings as daily tasks in an efficient way. Today it is compatible with almost any operating system allowing you to configure it in the environment that best suits your needs.

Cons

Although it is a very portable and robust database engine, its refusal comes with its licensing, which can be very expensive, also its resource consumption can be high in very complex tasks, this leading to the need to invest in very high-end resources in order to meet the demand.