All categories

Learn why GetApp is free

Microsoft SQL Server

Relational database management system for data analytics

Microsoft SQL Server Reviews

Pros

The best program for SQL database development, a very important and reliable server solution for programming.

Guram N.

Read the full review
I like that this is NOT like their smartphones or PC's. SQL Server is powerful and does exactly what it promises.

Read the full review
It has a huge community to give you support which is great advantage. Has a good performance and simple to install/manage.

Tugce K.

Read the full review

Cons

What I don't like most about this is that the error messages can be lacking sometimes leaving you puzzled as to what actually occurred.

Robert R.

Read the full review
No precautions on executing any updates or inserts, probably because they expect you to know what you're doing. It can be confusing at first.

Sylvia R.

Read the full review
There's nothing really I disliked but I remember having trouble when querying a table under another and writing the query, where choosing different tables in hierarchy had different/odd results.

Meliksah T.

1,486 reviews

I only use it for monitoring database error logs

Data Management made so easy with MS SQL Server

Pros

For any developer, before first they can this own what their apps are going to be developed in their should think of what server should host their database. I do believe that MS SQL Server is the best on the marketing when comes to data management and administration. The best feature that i really love the most on MS SQL Server is the ability to disable remote execution of your queries and really helps protect data integrity in case your server authentication has been compromised. You can also be rest assured that your data is consistent and accurate at all times. Yes hackers some times can try sql injection but i believe MS SQL Server its the most secure servers around.

Cons

The license key for MS SQL might cost you an arm and a leg but at the end of the day its really worth it when you think of a platform where you are able to develop enterprise apps that secure and helps with Business Intelligence.

SQL is getting better as it grows older

SQL Server centralized my data and allows my staff to "believe" that they are working in Excel, It is super fast for loading data from the server, and allow large data set that will normally take hours, or even crash the Excel spreadsheet to load without any issue. When I am ready for a web app.. SQL server is easy as piece to develop a simple CRUD application and push live. It seem to connect to every thing - from MS Word Mail merge, MS Excel, MS Access and of course for development environment such as Visual Studios. One Database ( Centralized) and many presentation modes for the end users. I love it!

Pros

MS SQL Server is certainly a competently relational database engine, with reporting service and now R. Easy to install for small onpremise application. Easy to administer, easy to backup, easy because it is a Microsoft application. It is so easy that most of the application today I work on seem to be pulling data from SQL into Excel and or Power BI. You can start from free version and expand as time goes by. The management studio take the pain our of scripting, and the online support community most likely have your questions answered with T-SQL scripts for copy and pasting. If you deciding on an option for an Relational Database system - you should look at this as your most productive option. It allows you to focus on the problem by making the technology easy.

Cons

The new the version, the more memory intensive this management studio will become. Microsoft need to create some more easy to use tool for change control and change tracking. Backward compatibility - if you used a higher version during development, then it become a pain to use a lower version during production environment.

Rock solid, reliable and efficient database

We have enjoyed using SQL Server for various OLTP and data warehousing workloads. It is a workhorse. Its performance is fantastic. Tooling surrounding it is great. We have not encountered a single issue with it. We also have a great local meetup where we discuss the constant improvements SQL Server brings each year.

Pros

We love SQL Server's versatility. Every single application we purchase for insurance has support for SQL Server. We have not come across any situation where SQL Server didn't meet our needs.

Cons

License models are a bit confusing. Some years Microsoft make it easy to understand. Other years Microsoft makes it even more confusing. Can we run SQL Server in our data centers? Can we run it on the cloud? Do we need to change licensing to run in the cloud? Those questions sound easy to answer but the answers we get from Microsoft or resellers confuse us more. It just seems like the confusion is intentional.

Easy solution for data management

I have been using sql server for almost 10 years. It has become indispensable tool in my software development career.

Pros

I found SQL server user interface undoubtedly most easy and functionality wise very rich. From database creation to analysis it provides one click operations that has made my life easy. Although, I am web developer but thanks to sql server I can easily handle and work on databases.

Cons

I have trust issues with Data restore functionality. Most of sql server backup fails most of time because of multiple issues.

SQL Server | Inexpensive and Impressive

Our organization uses SQL Server Enterprise as the backend for our Laboratory Information Management System. While we had the option to use Oracle, we went the Microsoft route due to licensing costs and in-house expertise. We have had nothing but positive experiences with SQL Server. From day-to-day operations to high-availability to SQL Agent jobs, we use a large portion of the functionality included with SQL Server. In addition to our laboratory system, we link SQL Server to our financial system (running on an Oracle database), which allowed us to create a data mart that we use to mine and report financial data through SQL Server Reporting Services.

Pros

* SQL Server Management Studio is intuitive and fairly straightforward to use * Implementing more advanced features such as SSRS does not require much effort * Simple process to link other database servers (i.e. Oracle) * Robust high-availability solutions available

Cons

* Licensing structure for Enterprise version is per core(s) * Always On Availability Group high-availability solution, while it works well, could have been simpler to set up * Performance/query tuning recommendations are not easy to locate

All time market leader

When comes to business critical it can consume the raw data, process it and provide to the user understandable format. More than decades, this software providing tremendous help to business to evolve and reach their goals by fetching data from any formate and load it into structured form and with help of powerful Tsql query languge we able to fetch the right data from database. We can also connect with any visualization tool to provide the better UI(Power BI) to users to take right decision.

Pros

1. Optimized storage and querying business critical data. 2. Powerful Tsql Query language. 3. Query execution plan to predict and optimize the data. 4. Query profiler to find out anomaly and query latency.

Cons

1. We need to take care of all patching works. 2. We need to take care of all infrastructure scalability(RAM,HDD and IO etc) 3. Server maintenance and outrage time is high.

The best database management system

Microsoft SQL Server is a great data management, analyzing and reporting tool which helps in day to day running of a business. The very powerful features it posses makes data analysis easy. The community support makes it easy to do many tasks and above all, the security this tool provides makes it safer than other database management tools

Pros

The ability to store, manage , retrieve and backup large amounts of data without so much hassle. The availability of support on the internet is just amazing. It works well for small sized to big sized companies and the security of these databases is top notch. Since it has recently been integrated with Azure, it will be easier for cloud deployment and cloud support. Can also be used be as a reporting and analyzing tool.

Cons

The cost is a bit high and it requires skill to be able to work with sql. The larger the information on the database usually makes it to slow down in terms of querying it

A leading and innovative data solution

My personal experience has been very positive once I was able to dive into the product dashboard, look into online training and guides that helped provide a lot of great insight into how to we get the most out of the platform and learn about the latest releases and features to help us keep up to speed on the latest capabilities available to use and try out.

Pros

The ability to visualize data, connect data from different sources and track activity and data usage/storage has allowed our organization to be successful in how we meet our objectives from a technical, data delivery and performance optimization standpoint.

Cons

There were times early on in the deployment and on-boarding process where it was difficult to get quality technical support, which created a few small hiccups early on, but eventually was cleared up once we connected with our solutions engineer who connected us with the right resources and training materials.

MSSQL is good and well supported

Overall experience with Microsoft SQL Server is good throughout with no major issues.

Pros

I found it quite easy to install, setup and operate. It is supported by almost all programing languages. The interface is simple and user friendly. I found it safe to be accessed remotely. The visualization of data and retrieving data from different sources is found good. The functionalities like Jobs, Stored Procedures, Functions and Views enhance the database development / management experience.

Cons

Performance issues faced with large databases. With every version, the license model changes which make it complex.

The best software for databases

Overall its the best software for databases, no matter your app is big or small, either it is a school project or a secure bank app this is a must have software for databases.

Pros

Features which I like the most: 1. Intellisense 2. Remote login - No need to login in any remote server to check it's database 3. Runs with any platform

Cons

The most irritating thing is when I try to restore a backup of newer version (2014) to older version (2008), it gives compatibility error. While taking backup, It should give option to user to make it compatible with older release.

There's a reason why most people choose SQL Server over other database softwares

I have never had any problems with SQL Server. It was always efficient and capable of doing whatever needed to be done.

Pros

Security is one of the most important aspects of database software since sensitive information can be stored in databases. SQL Servers are some one of the most secure servers out there so data is safe from hackers. The scaling aspect of this software is great so whether your business is very small or very large that uses huge amounts of data to be stored, SQL servers can scale and use appropriate resources to handle databases therefore no lagging issues and problems querying databases etc. which makes it extremely fast and efficient. With the large community that uses SQL Server, you have answers to almost all questions that you may have if you encounter any difficulties setting up or using the software, so troubleshooting is made really easy.

Cons

Cost could be an issue as this software could be a bit expensive however with that being said, you definitely will get quality. Also there might be certain compatibility issues with other non Microsoft software that your company may use so in some cases you might have to switch over to Microsoft softwares in your company depending on what they are.

Powerful and Scalable Database Software

Storing large quantities of production data to solve quality and efficiency problems has been a big use for SQL. All of the reporting and power to analyze data has solved countless puzzles for me in my job capacity. I also have done a lot of database administration for our ERP software and the tiles to tune and optimize have always been very helpful.

Pros

One of my favorite things about Microsoft SQL Server is the scalability. Whether you are using the free version for a small program running on a local machine or running an entire factory it is the same basic concept of programming and administration. I really appreciated being able to work to have a database software that could grow and expand when I need it too. Additionally the reporting and automation packages that come with it are super powerful. I would absolutely recommend using Microsoft SQL Server as anyone’s data as software

Cons

The biggest con in my opinion is that some of the more advanced features for big data analysis and high availability are in the top tier pricing which can be hard for smaller companies to afford. Other than that I have never not been able to solve a problem with Microsoft SQL.

SQL Server review

SQL server is great, because i can use the same language same application, and for small customers it uses free option, and only for best performnace or bigger data need to pay for it Can use it locally on on cloud

Pros

SQL Server is a great system to develop databases with great functionalities like jobs, procedures, functions ans so one

Cons

For me the only think not so good is performance for bigger batabases, but for me between 10GiB and 15GiB works fine

This sequel is better

Once SQL Server in Azure was selected, it proved to be a great experience. Security, performance and usability was ironed out for us already. We could focus on building our application rather than learning something new about cloud security or how to use a new type of database or database language variation. We have been pleased with the ability to research performance and include other features such as SSIS to accomplish our business requirements easily. Knowing that manual tasks are being completed automatically is a sigh of relief. We also will know immediately if there are any issues. We have had a great experience with SQL Server.

Pros

It is an industry standard that continues to improve to make the lives of developers easier. We are able to produce software solutions more efficiently because Microsoft continues to improve SQL Server. We rely heavily on this as critical to our business. Developers tell me how flexible SQL Server is also. SQL is more compatible with software packages than other competing databases.

Cons

Parts can be not intuitive unless you've been using it for awhile. It is a technical piece of software that requires time and training. If you need the Enterprise edition for specific features, it is expensive.

best of server

I have using this more than 5 years , by comparing with other server platforms sql server te best of easy use for developers as well as Administrators

Pros

It was easy of access to manage SQL server agent can manage most required part with automate rather than doing manual And also design with more user friendly compare with others

Cons

While queries of data some times have to convert it to tostring, but I hope its possible to identify and convert automatically, then developers will reduse their codings

Best DBMS tool for scalable enterprises

My overall experience is 100% satisfactory because of its robust feature. I recommend this to all either its a large or small scale compan y because SQL server can handle large quantities of data and process it smoothly. Just loving it.

Pros

Microsoft SQL server is one of the best database management system that provide top rated performance optimisation with SQL queries, below is the list of top highlights: 1. Richness of user interface that provides ease of use with cool features like dock able windows. 2. Intelligence window is prominent feature that saves a lot of development time up to large extent. 3. Code debugging and performance...

Cons

I have been using SQL server from version 2012 to 2014 and never troubled with SQL server's performance in any way. However I feel that error details must long descriptive when statement have some syntax error. Sometime its pathetic when we wants to know the exact error line but is hints the whole block of code instead of exact line number. Otherwise Its a great product and happy with it.

Perfect for all types of workloads!

Have used SQL Server as a a Relational Database (RDBMS) for the past 15 years, primarily to support SAP based enterprise workloads. Microsoft's development of SQL Server has been fuelled by its largest customer - SAP, in order to provide better functionality to rival its competition (Oracle, DB2, Informix (who remembers this one?). I started with MSSQL 2000 and boy has it come a long way. MSSQL versions are denoted via the year and is still a practice till today, similar to how Microsoft denotes its Windows versions. To date, the latest version of MSSQL 2017 is also supported on SAP, and I am sure once MSSQL 2019 is released later this year it would also be certified by SAP.

Pros

The review is based on my experience of using SQL Server as a database with SAP. What I like about MSSQL : - ACID compliant like any enterprise based RDBMS (Oracle, IBM DB2, SAP HANA) - Runs well and scales well with commodity x86 hardware - Various editions to suit customer needs and requirements. For example Express Edition for small workloads and is free, or all the way to Enterprise Edition...

Cons

Over my years of using MSSQL have encountered numerous bugs (performance issues, corrupted data, etc.) but these are normal with other RDBMS's (Oracle, DB2, SAP HANA, etc.) given the enterprise nature of the workloads. Can't really think of any other disadvantages.

SQL Server is the backbone of my life!

Overall, my experience with SQL Server is amazing! I am able to store all of our Las Vegas luxury casino data (gaming, hotel, food & beverage, entertainment, etc.) and query that for information that we then turn into automated or ad-hoc reports. These then go to the operators of the business as well as the executives who analyze the reports and make better decisions daily, weekly, and monthly. The goal is simple: just become better over time...better than you were last year, last month, last week. And SQL Server is the vehicle to empower your organization to find those valuable insights hiding in plain sight to do just that!

Pros

I absolutely LOVE SQL Server. It is my favorite software to use because the possibilities for query-writing are endless. I would say this is the most reliable and flexible of all the database software I have ever used. SQL Server allows you to write in T-SQL (T = transact, SQL = structured query language), which means that you can create variables, use temp tables, and write code in a procedural...

Cons

Hmm...if I had to speak ill of SQL Server...I would probably say that it is a bit tricky to get up to speed quickly with. There's a lot to it, so to speak, so it's taken me the better part of five years working in the data analytics industry to finally say that I feel I am completely proficient in utilizing the software to its full potential. Topics such as query optimization remain my areas of biggest...

SQL Server 2016 - Features Review

Overall experience with SQL server 2016 is very nice and excited in my perceptions due to Better support for memory optimzed tables, Built in JSON support, Stretch DB concepts, Query Store and dynamic temp db according to size and presence of CPU in the databases.

Pros

In our project we have been migrated from Microsoft SQL Server 2008 to SQL server 2016 directly for all our databases & SSIS packages. There are many features that was available to use for the projects and some of those are: 1. Data was always encrypted, so less vulnerable to SQL injections and useful to take a backup when database is in motion. Prior version (Before SQL server 2016) support only...

Cons

Only I know very least number of disadvantages this MS SQL server 2016 is having: 1. Enterprise pricing may be costly as some of the organisation cant afford for the count of data they are having. 2 With the performance tuning, Microsoft SQL Server will be having some gobble resources.

Easy to configure, difficult to master

Easily the most intuitive RDBMS software out of the box.

Pros

The most noteworthy features of Microsoft SQL Server are the many tools and wizards that allow even novice users to get started by creating tables and views without extensive knowledge of relational databases. The query wizard can even assist with creating queries with its intuitive IDE. These features lower the intimidating barrier to entry that accompanies other relational database software such...

Cons

SQL Server carries a high cost subscription based licensing cost. The user assistance features provide a great introduction to relational databases, but there is still a significant and continuous learning curve. Databases continue to evolve with industry need. Anyone that interacts significantly with SQL Server during day to day database or application design may need to consider yearly training to keep up with all the changes.

My experience with sql Server has been satisfactory, I have done punctual work.

I have worked several times with this software for different reasons I have been able to simplify developments thanks to the Transact-SQL so it has saved me programming time, the services that I have under my responsibility at work are stable, this gives confidence and tranquility for me and for my bosses, I made restorations in record time.

Pros

This software has as its first advantage that it is a Microsoft product and has the full support of the company and the stability of a well-tested product. At the basic level, I find it very efficient, the sql responses are fast and there are almost no service interruptions, which is a point in its favor when I use it, I find the Transact-SQL language that is used very powerful, I was able to assign...

Cons

The least I like is undoubtedly the cost SQL-Server does not have a good cost-benefit ratio, other brands offer better benefits in this regard, another point is the high consumption of RAM, it is necessary to allocate a large amount of resources for this And to guarantee the quality of the service, until now I have not found a hosting provider that offers me a PHP server with Sql-server. This stopped once a new development for a client was disappointing to me. It is difficult to learn in a particular way, the free versions of this software are very limited and the certifications are expensive, which reduces the interest when it is investigated.

Ridiculously powerful and full of features we do not make use of. We love it, and cannot do without.

This software practically runs our facility. Without it, we couldn't keep track of our animals or our people (staff, members, donors). To us, this software is well worth the costs involved.

Pros

SQL Server is just so incredibly powerful, most users probably do not know how much it can do, or how much it can handle. In our type of organization, we deal with people and animals. We rely on donors and members for funding, we track everything about our animals from health issues, to medications, to physical exercise. Every one of our systems relies on, as the backbone, SQL Server. This software...

Cons

You need a lot of training to make the most of it. Or it could cost you a lot if you have to pay a developer to help you get the most out of your systems. Luckily a couple of us are really into databases, and we both have a lot of experience with SQL, we can do most things in-house. But still the amount of training we go through to keep current, or to keep learning is probably the biggest "problem" with this software. Most software packages, you can buy, setup, receive a few hours or a few days of training, and you'll be good to go. With SQL, if you intend to use it, to get the most of out it, you will need more extensive training, or to hire people to put in the work. It's not cheap. But it can help you accomplish so much if you put in the time.

If you are working from scratch,it is relatively easy to set up a new database server and connectivi

Pros

If you are working from scratch, it is relatively easy to set up a new database server and connectivity between clients. Everything is quite simple, given that you have knowledge of the database. The DBMS allows you to easily create several things completely in design (tables, views, etc.), which is a great advantage when you do not know all the syntax. The integration of other monitoring software...

Cons

Sometimes, performance when executing some long queries is not what you would expect. Although the power of the CPU is important for this part, but in the company we have state-of-the-art servers in the NAP of the Americas, so it seems a software problem instead of a hardware problem. Some of the configurations of previous versions (2008 - 2012) are quite clumsy and not very well done - I have had...

Very reliable, relatively easy-to-use, and reasonably-priced compared to Oracle

Our entire product line (IIS-based web applications) relies on SQL Server. Without it, our business wouldn't function at all.

Pros

As a Systems Administrator, MS SQL Server is one of the easiest DBMS you can use from a management perspective. SQL Server Management Studio is a very robust client, and it allows you to configure everything from either the GUI or SQL scripts. No digging into config files, calling apps from command line, etc. User management in SQL server is easy and straight-forward while being EXTREMELY granular....

Cons

Like a lot of other Microsoft software, the installer is pretty bloated with prerequisites, components, etc. But that's a fairly small nitpick. I will also say that RAM management in SQL Server isn't perfect. SQL will, as long as it is regularly used, consume all of the RAM you have allocated it. By default, that setting is 2 petabytes of RAM, so it will slow your system to an absolute crawl, consuming everything it can to the detriment of the OS itself. This means you need to manually allocated a reasonable amount of RAM to SQL knowing full-well that it will likely consume this RAM at all times. That's fine for dedicated database servers, but it's not ideal for people running SQL on laptops. Aside from that, I have very few complaints about SQL Server.

SQL Server - One of the most powerful databases

I have been working with SQL Server for 3 years at work and at home for my home projects. I enjoy working with it. It is easy to install, easy to maintain for normal purposes and there are a lot of cool features even in the free versions - for example Express and Developer. I think that it is a very powerful engine - the latest charts also show this by putting SQL Server in one of the first places for the best Databases. I pretty enjoy working with it and pretty recommend it. For years, the companies where I have been working relied on SQL Server and my observation is that it proves its expectations very good.

Pros

1. It has different types of subscriptions - you can either test it with free versions, either use it to develop different projects or when you get in love with it - you can buy it with its powerful features. 2. It is a very good working engine. 3. SQL Server has stability, and the performance mechanisms are very cool. 4. You can maintain multiple instances and databases on one server. 5. There are a lot of built-in functions that developers can use, instead of writing their own. 6. Since the latest years, I think there are more and more new things to explore in newer versions - that is a point which shows that Microsoft invests a lot in their product. 7. It is reliable.

Cons

Since these years I didn't notice something which I do not like. On the contrary, I pretty like the product and all its features that I have been using through these years, and hope that in the future releases of SQL Server there won't be disappointing things, but only cool ones.

Select your country

10+ YEARS RECOMMENDING SOFTWARE

© 2010-2021 GetApp. All Rights Reserved.