Sunbird DCIM Reviews

Sunbird DCIM

Data center management system for mid to large enterprises

Review Summary

Greg B.

Grigory Y.

Grigory Y.

Anders B.

Some data in monitoring cannot be used for a report. Graphics in reports for management are missing or are only possible via detours.

Georg W.

The integration of a lot of PDU between DCIM and Power IQ , Ea : Netbotz Rack Monitor from APC integration problem with sensor.

Jean-Christophe F.

4.7

Why I chose Sunbird DCIM

Pros

I like it because of its ease of use, good features, great support and help if needed. Easy to update and are frequently updated.

Cons

Most of the problems I had is mostly on my side, i.e I am not familiar with terms, technical lingo and mindset. So when for instance filling in information is a bit tedious but it is getting easier.

Thank you for the positive review. We plan to have our European user group meeting in April. We also offer free weekly training every Wednesday. See support portal for more details and recordings of all previous trainings.

Best DCIM solution

I'd like to note SunBird support team as fatest to reply on request and with quick solution.

Pros

Having tried to work with top five DCIM products I consider SunBird the best DCIM product on the market. It is easyest to adopt to and covers the most of DataCenter manager's tasks. Great functionality and large user group helps a lot to solve problems, which are impossible to solve in other products, like subfloor or above rack equipment placement.

Cons

Monitoring functionality needs further work. I'd put a ModBus software gateway in my wishlist.

Thank you for the positive feedback and the wish-list item.

Customer Support Request Turnaround

It has been a great tool for my staff here in our Data Canter and something our internal IT customers have come to rely on when it comes to its great IT device reporting features.

Pros

Its robust features, clear details on devices listed and quick support from Sunbird when needed

Cons

If any complaint is that it may be too much with features for what I use it here within our Data Center. But this is not a complaint i would not take any higher than myself here.

Thank you for the positive feedback.

Great DCIM tool

Pros

Easy to use and administer Very good documentation Great support

Cons

5 licenses for floor ups is excessive in my opninion

Thank you for the positive feedback. I will look into the the ups license. The thinking was that a floor UPS is more that 5 times the cost of a rack pdu plus you typically only have far few UPSs.

Sunbird - Great Product, Great Tool

Pros

The most impactful feature we use daily is the Visualization feature. We can just drop in on any specific rack and in a second know if we would be able to commission anymore IT equipment for future projects. The ease of use of Sunbird is very straight forward with the multiple tabs that make our data very transparent and available. Integration of Sunbird with our existing business processes was seamless and everyone on my team was up and running within minutes of using Sunbird.

Cons

One feature I would like to see improvement on is the "Is Empty" rule added to the Serial Number column and also have the Serial Number field flag us when we are inputting a duplicate Serial Number.

Lack of Documentation

We use it as our monitoring tool and Sunbird is good compared to other monitoring apps./

Pros

Easy to use and synchronized with out UPS and PDUs

Cons

Lack of documentation on the application itself.

Thank you for the positive feedback. I will reach out to you on the documentation and free training.

Sunbird PowerIQ

Sunbird has been great to deal with. From sales to their help desk they are the best in the business with communicating with their customers. I have never had a better experience with any other company from a help desk / support perspective. Literally five minutes after I place a ticket I get someone who is located in the States and has a high level understanding of the product able to help me. I couldn't ask for better support.

Pros

When purchasing a DCIM tool we felt that PowerIQ gave us the ability to accomplish everything it was that we needed to do. This tool has provided us with such visibility into our data center environments wherever they may be. We felt this was the best tool on the market for the price with what are needs were.

Cons

As of right now I have found nothing that I don't like about the product.

Thank you for the positive feedback. Hershey bar with almonds is my favorite!

DCIM Solution for Any business

Managing over a hundred global locations comprised of local offices and data centers have been a huge challenge. With the implementation of dcTrack/PowerIQ we were able to achieve clear visibility into each of these locations and eliminate a lot of technology debt.

Pros

Practical Data Center inventory management and power monitoring tool in one. Easy to use with intelligent and clear reporting and helpful dashboards. We've grown and developed our business processes and procedures while implementing the tool - moving away from manual data entry and management via multiple spreadsheets is the thing of the past we'd never go back to.

Cons

With every release there are always new features delivered that were requested by the customers. As with every tool, some level of customization is always required. In some cases it may not be as intuitive as one would wish and reading the admin manual is a must.

Thank you for the positive feedback.

Sunbird DCIM software is easy to use and easy to read.

I have been able to easily keep an eye on all power, temperature, and humidity statuses for all my hardware locations. I have about 300 units that monitor areas all over the city.

Pros

I like the web interface most of all. It is very easy to use and it displays the data in a clear manor. the web interface allows for quick manipulation of data and dashboards.

Cons

the look of the web page is a little old school. It does not compromise any of the data, however, I would like to see something a little more trendy. This and several Java issues have been slightly disappointing.

Thank you for your positive feedback. We are delighted to now offer a modern and elegant web based GUI. We even allow uses to select between light and dark mode.

FD_Review

optimal powerdistribution management

Pros

The Dashboard, the Tree-Struktured Datacenter strukture, ability to add 3rd party products, floorplan integration

Cons

Setting up PUE, better sharper graphics would be desireable,

Thank you for the positive feedback and the insight on PUE!

Great 1st Echelon Support

Pros

dcTrack, along with powerIQ provides in-depth health-concern data for your data centers, at a glance. I dont' have enough characters here to list everything I like about this software. I'll sum it up like this, all of the questions/requirements you may have for your system, that start with, "can I do ______ with this system?", the answer is yes. Some features are harder than others to get setup. Power...

Cons

My biggest complaint about the software is a development paradigm of dictating what can be done or not in the system, even if you may feel like you should be able to proceed with an operation. An example of this is that the system, when implemented as deigned will not allow you to make a network connection between a SFP port of a switch and a copper NIC. This, even though these connections are possible using copper GBIC's. There is a workaround for this, of making all of your different port-types to "twisted-pair" which constitutes a minor inconvenience. The important thing is that the Sunbird Support staff have always come up with a work around for the particular incompatibilities in our environment, of which there have not been many.

Tony - thank you for the positive feedback and great insight. Look forward to seeing you at our next san jose user group.

dcTrack Your do it all DCIM tool.

Utilizing Sunbirds DCIM Tool dcTrack has made me more efficient at my job and helping the teams that use it work more efficiently as well. dcTrack has become our Gold Copy so to speak with regard to tracking our assets. It helps the Operations team find devices quickly, without having to look in multiple places for where assets should be. Sunbird has created a do it all tool that works, it does what it says it will do and the level of support you get with it is first rate. I can use my DCIM tool to help keep track of network ports, and empty cabinet space and run power reports.... the uses and possibilities are endless.

Pros

The Visualization of my datacenter floor. i find myself in it all day going cabinet to cabinet. This portion of the tool gives you 3d CAD rendering of your datacenter that you can quickly click on a cabinet and take you to the device you are looking for. This feature also is very useful is seeing cabinet temps, power usage when paired with smart PDU's oh and one of my all time favorite features in this Visualization feature is the ability to measure out cable. You can click on measure in the menu and then click a point on your datacenter map then trace out where your cable will run and go point to point. It gives you an accurate distance so you know which cable lengths you will be using. Just one of the many various useful elements of dcTrack.

Cons

I do not have many issues or complaints with regard to dcTrack. The issues I do come across tend to be buggy new release issues that once called into the Sunbird Support Team, it's handled and rectified quickly. For example there was an issue with having to load up Adobe Flash when opening a certain tab in the software. The issue was isolated to this one tab and only when using Chrome did it come up. The Sunbird team was quick to correct this and on the next software update release, it was addressed.

Thank you for the detailed positive feedback. dcTrack is now flash free with release 7.0. Customer's have given us very positive feedback on our new modern elegant HTML 5 Flash free GUI. It also includes user option to use in light or dark mode. Dark mode looks really cool.

Sunbird dcTracks/PowerIQ: Great products and ease of use with excellent support

The overall experience has been great. In many implementations with software and other DCIM providers this has by far been the best experience we have had. The support is quick and direct, usually solving issues and answering questions on the first contact and typically in the same day. The team members providing instruction in remote sessions were knowledgeable and took the time to make sure we understood...

Pros

What we like most about Sunbird's DCIM solution is the integration between dcTracks and PowerIQ along with the great features, detailed user interface and ease of use. The software is setup in a way that is very intuitive to use and just as easy to implement from image to production use. The implementation/proof of concept team was great to work with. The weekly sessions made sure we were able to achieve all our requirements and not only assisted in setting up the software but showed the team how accomplish the tasks on our own so that we could replicate and update our data as needed.

Cons

At this point there is not much that we dislike about the software. It contains all the features and ease of use we expected; and more. We would like an additional feature for integration with server cabinet door locks to see the status; if they were open/closed and who accessed the rack based on badge. The way the integration currently works is to send an alert when triggered but doesn't fully meet what we would like to accomplish.

Thank you for the 5 start review. Customer success is our top priority. Feedback from customer's like you have greatly helped us in designing our 2nd Gen DCIM solution.

dcTrack and PowerIQ are amazing tools to help you keep track of what's going on

The possibilities with these tools are almost limitless. I haven't discovered anything we would miss at work yet. You can build custom dashboards, DC rooms in 3D, rack overviews, power- and data-connections and more so that everyone can get an insight without being in the room. For the operation of a data center a DCIM software solution is absolutely necessary. The tasks today are very varied and it is easy to lose track. With dcTrack you can get the overview back. Of course there is a lot of work behind it but you should start with the work. There won't be a 100% solution but if you know what you want and take the first step, you will see that it goes forward.

Pros

The support is great and you always get help and solutions for problems. The insertion of racks, devices, PDUs and connections is possible by bulk import and therefore fast and clear. You can create different roles for each user and assign rights for each user. You can plan very well in advance and then display it virtually as it might look. Work orders can also be created and documented. I have already taken part on a user group meetings where wishes, problems, user questions are answered and solutions are sought. One is kept up to date about new developments and there is user training on demand.

Cons

There aren't really any disadvantages with these tools, just the complexity that exists, let you sometimes ask what you do first and what can waiting for. You should make sure that all users are involved in different tasks.

Thank you for your positive feedback. Our development team is highly motivated to provide you elegant software that makes it easier for you to perform your daily work.

Sunbird DCIM

My overall experience has been good. I like the direction the software is heading by moving more features and functionality to the web client and away from classic view. I really like sort and filter functionality as well as the import / export feature that can be used with Microsoft Excel. A built-in models library is very helpful and has saved us a bunch of time.

Pros

Import / export functionality along with the sort and filter. When setting up the power infrastructure, I like that it is a physical representation of the plugs to outlet in that a L22-30P needs to be plugged into an L22-30R and that the software understands that a different plug or receptacle wouldn't physically plug in. There are numerous checks and balances like this that are helpful.

Cons

The separation of features between the web client and classic view. It can also be confusing to understand what features are in PowerIQ opposed to DcTrack. Making them better integrated would be helpful. It would be nice if the models library updates were more proactive vs reactive. For example, when Dell released their Rx30 lineup, it would be nice to have the R330, R430, R530, etc.. automatically added without having to put in a request since Dell is such a big player in this field. I understand it can't be done for every make / model but for the big manufacturers core lineup that would help. Software doesn't natively work with Chrome, the use of extensions doesn't always work properly.

Thank you for your positive feedback. We are delighted to now offer a modern and elegant web browser based GUI. We even allow uses to select between light and dark mode.

The future might be blinding bright for Sunbird if they play their cards right.

We have not achieved production functionality yet but overall great!

Pros

Features, ease of deployment with some reservations to importing assets and setting up a db, overall look and feel, automation, precision and wide scope of functionality.

Cons

The process of getting your existing assets in is quite gruelling if you are not using Service Now as your asset management system. Collating and matching data to dcTracks standards is very challenging for the project team. We are going to use your turn key service to ease the process.

Thank you for the positive feedback. Our vision is to help you automate via integration. But data correlation can be a challenge. I will follow-up with you to discuss as we are always in search of ideas to make this super easy.

Great tool for place and power planning, documentation of assets, data and power connections

Use it daily to document Data Center Power. Previously used it to document Data Center cabinets, assets, data and power connections, structured cabling. It is our source of truth for what's in the Data Centers and monitoring tool for temperature issues

Pros

dcTrack is easy to use in that setting it up to model a data center follows the physical process of actually setting up a data center. Using it to maintain documentation of assets' placement, data and power connections is easy and logical. It also provides for great monitoring of power utilization and temperature/humidity with its integration with Power IQ. And the customer support is excellent! You are treated like a partner.

Cons

dcTrack is mostly web-based but part of the functionality remains in an application called Classic View. This functionality is being migrated piece by piece, and a lot of it is accessible now from the web client. We look forward to the day when we no longer need to use Classic View as it is quite slow and it cannot be re-sized to see all of it at once without scrolling.

Caretech Solutions Inc.

As a remote datacenter manager, it is invaluable to have a visual readout of our assets, and easily be able to determine and display capacity. As a Shared Services provider, we can easily demonstrate to existing customers where their racks are located, how populated they are, etc. This is also useful in sales initiatives; having a 3-D graph of racks with available capacity (one of the vendor-provided reports) makes the salesman's job easier.

Pros

I like the fact that it can be as high-level, or granulated as you like. I initially started with "where are my racks and what's in them" usage, easily generating 3-d visuals, and exporting .csv and .pdf reports. Using the built-in import and export tools, I've been able to add entries for power whips (and associate them with racks), and populate chassis with individual blades. Next steps will be to update network information for devices, again, with the easy import tools.

Cons

The models library sometimes lacks the specific Make, Model, etc. of a device I'm adding, so I'll have to use a similar one, or define a generic one. Sunbird has a mechanism to submit model addition requests.

Thank you for your positive feedback.

An awsome toolbox created by awsome people

Hard to get started in this tool but when you have the clue it is fantastic. BUT every manager who decides to have this tool should have in mind that this tool needs People and time to get it started and when it has started you may be Need a bit more time to Keep it running. We have learned so much concerning our own workflows in our datacenters and in my eyes it works great and I wouldn't change it for another DCIM tool, anyway. It worth every second and every cent we have spent on it and are still doing.

Pros

The deeper you dive into the dcTrack universe the bigger it seems to grow. If you have internalised your own processes, this tool is indispensable for the administration of your own datacenters and each Piece of hardware built-in there.

Cons

Sometime I wish the tool could be cut down to our specific Needs but then we would have to ask ourselves what these needs are. The complexity of the tool, which is of course just an image of reality, sometimes makes it difficult to start with it.

Thank you for your positive feedback. We provide free weekly training every Wednesday. See our support portal https://www.sunbirddcim.com/dcim-technical-support to sign up and to view video records of prior training sessions.

Sunbird DCIM review-TMW

Overall experience in working with Sunbird has been excellent. The support teams are always responsive and your first line of defense seems to have easy access to next level engineers which is rare to see however is a huge plus to us when we have problems to deal with. In some cases however, the first level of support clearly does not know a portion of the product and the case needs to be immediately dumped to engineers. Case in point is the rollout of VM Manager integration in version 6.x. As soon as it came out, we started using it and immediately ran into problems of which first level support had not even seen the new enhancement.

Pros

Ease of workflow. Simple and intuitive and my team has been able to quickly pickup the process of using it with little direction. We appreciate Sunbird taking responsibility for maintaining a catalog of assets. We love the 3D visualization aspect and that we can spin the cabinet around and isolate cabinets.

Cons

The visualization maps are really rough to look at and often look like a high school drafting project from the 80's. I can create beautiful looking maps in Visio but importing them from Visio to a cad file, then importing them into dcTrack looks like garbage. Even using straight cad files could use improvement.

Thank you for your positive feedback. We have enhanced our internal new release training for our support team.

Justin Erdmann Comcast

DC Track has been an interesting Journey, Starting out some of the features that were discussed in the first demonstration did not seem to work as advertised but over time the software support has been awesome and the tool is coming a long way. It now can do a lot of the tasks that I need it too.

Pros

DC Track makes it very easy to search a lot of different ways and does not allow the typical typos or duplicates that you get when using Excel. It has not been 100% but light years better than Excel

Cons

The time it takes to use the tool as a stand alone software. A lot of guys are still using Excel and importing into the tool. This makes common input errors a norm.

Thank you for your positive feedback. We provide free weekly training every Wednesday. See our support portal https://www.sunbirddcim.com/dcim-technical-support to sign up and to view video recordings of prior training sessions.

A true partner in Sunbird

We have found a true partner with the team at Sunbird. They are there to listen, investigate, and offer advice and solutions to any questions we have. The product is flexible enough to adapt to what you need it to do while offering a solid structure to build on.

Pros

Sunbird listens to all of there customers and then plans and implements the feature requests that provide the most improvement in a timely manner. The support team is attentive and works to both understand the underlining issue and providing work around and long term solution.

Cons

The team is still working to eliminate the thick client. It isn't hard to use the thick client, but a little inconvenient to have to switch between thin and think. However you don't have to use it too often.

Deploying devices is so much easier to preform with 100% accuracy.

It organizes and centralizes information and it greatly aids in MACD

Pros

The many visualizations such as device, cabinet and floor plan (including 3D) are quite valuable to me. With the cabinet views, I can 'see' the best areas to place equipment within a cabinet without the need to be physically on site. Device views allows me to 'show' Installers where exactly the various device ports are located so they connect data cables correctly. The floor plan allows me to estimate distances so I can order cables of proper length. All of these views are invaluable to me since I support remote data centers.

Cons

That I still need to access Classic View to preform some functions. To be able to access data panel port information from the GUI is great and I cannot wait for functions like Lists and Connectors are moved there too.

3D View/Bulk Uploads/Odbc DB Connection/Easy to use

If you haven't used a DCIM previously and want to quickly install and use a DCIM and learn how to use it quickly, I recommend this product.

Pros

First of all it has an impressive easy-to-use 3D user interface. If your knowledge of Datacenter components and operations is good, you can learn its usage in a very short time and define the new hardware models in 15 minutes without waiting for support. With the CSV upload feature, you can save a serious time by organizing updates in Excel that will last longer. End-to-end cable tracking is really successful. With access to the database via ODBC, you can prepare advanced reports and integrate with other applications. Payment is more flexible than other companies. Monthly usage is also possible. Unit prices are public on the web-site.

Cons

Each circuit has to be terminated with an endpoint. This is necessary for you to do the job right, sometimes short-term temporary operations can annoy you.

Thank you for the positive feedback. Our latest release will allow you to build partial circuits. Keep the ideas coming!