All categories

Tabs3 Reviews

Andree P.

Maintenance is awesome and worth every penny. Flexibility in use with other programs is absolutely flawless.

Barry H.

I have been using this software for over 15 years and I still love it. With every upgrade they have listened and thoughtfully made great upgrades.

Teri H.

Cons

You have to do a reverse update to open and print old charges which is annoying when that info is needed. I print the bill each month so that I have the record handy.

cheryl m.

Somewhat uncomfortable with use for flat fees.

Richard A.

It is very difficult to navigate and hard to learn if you are not trained well, and especially if you do not have significant bookkeeping experience.

I highly recommend Tabs3 Software

We use Tabs for our timekeeping and billing, the Tabs3 Connect is a great feature for attorneys to enter their time on the go. The General Ledger and Accounts Payable software integrate well with each other and with Tabs, so that saves on duplication of work. Practice Master has great features and is a great database for containing the information needed for our clients.

Pros

The software is very user friendly, the programs are intuitive and the e-mail bills are a great function! We have been using all the products offered by Tabs3 for over 25 years. The upgrades always have something new and better when they come out.

Cons

There just isn't enough time for me to learn all the capabilities of the software.

Tracy, Thank you for taking the time to leave a review! We appreciate hearing from you. Unfortunately I can't add more time to the day, but if there's something we can do to make things easier for you, please let us know! - Emily L., Software Trainer

Satisfied Customer

We have used Tabs3 for billing since before I started (16 years ago), but we used another practice management software for a while before switching to PracticeMaster. We recently made the change from the basic version to the Platinum version. The price difference was the hurdle, but the features in Platinum are valuable. Support has been very good over the years.

Pros

We have added fields in PracticeMaster to track information that we want available, and those fields are then available in the Report Writer. For example, we added a tab for our Estate Planning matters to track which documents were created for them and whether we are storing the originals or if the client has the originals. Report Writer allows you to create custom reports pulling information from PracticeMaster. I wish you could pull more information from other parts of the Tabs3 Suite in the reports. While we are slow to incorporate new features into our daily use, I find many of them valuable. We have just started to use the email statement feature which isn't very new.

Cons

There is so much to the software that it can take a new user a little while to get up to speed on it. It takes some training to know where to enter information so that it syncs correctly between the different parts of the software. We need to be more proactive about learning about the features and functionality. We don't have a reseller that helps us implement them.

Katherine, Thank you for taking the time to leave a review! We appreciate your feedback. There are some tools available to pull data from other areas of the software for reports--if you're interested, reach out to Support and we can talk to you about them! Thanks again! - Emily L., Software Trainer

• Likelihood to recommend4.00/10

The not so good Tabs

I have had Tabs since 2010, it is terrible. You purchase the program and then you constantly have to go back to customer service (tech dept.) and they want to hit you up for $200 per hour for tech help, as you can imagine that is absurd, expensive and terrible. They let you buy the product and make it seem like there is no additional cost, reality is that you better pay for the ongoing tech support because there are always errors and problems that need addressing, did I mention the $50 minimal charge or $200 per hour for tech help. I rarely was able to use the program, each time I tries there was some new error message and a need to seek out tech department, truly a terrible experience.

Pros

The software has a wide array of features and billing is nicely prints out in a very organized and concise format, it really does have a lot of detail and nice features.

Cons

It seems to always have some problem or error message on the rare instances when I actually needed it to do a billing for a client, nothing is worse than paying for a product and then having to waste time because it will not work and then get stuck paying extra by having to call and pay the tech department $200 per hour to help you figure out why their product does not work as it is promised and as it should from the start. How is it possible that the product regularly has error messages that are not resolvable without a call to the tech department. Very frustrating.

I am sorry that Mr. Gunthert has not had a good experience. We have reached out to him to discuss the specific issues that he is having.   I did want to mention a few things related to the points that he brought up. To make sure clients get off to a good start, every purchase of Tabs3 includes a free year of maintenance, which includes both technical support and any product updates that come out...

TAB3 Software is great

The overall experience is been excellent especially the prompt response to support.

Pros

Runs locally and fast over my local network using Windows 10 Pro. Quick response means productivity is achieved. Like the fact that I can use for my financial part of my practice-trust accounting, general ledger accounting, accounts payable. All accessible to all users at my firm.

Cons

This software as many features and you need to take the time to learn the new features and sometimes they require extensive time to develop.

William, Thank you for taking the time out of your day to leave a review! We're very glad you're enjoying your experience with Tabs3. If there's anything we can do to help you be even more productive, please let us know! - Emily L., Software Trainer

• Likelihood to recommend10.00/10

Complete package for the small law firm

We were able to build a collections process that efficiently walks through the matter steps so that everything is done quickly and accurately. Setting up workflows that set calendar follow, merge documents, send emails, launch appropriate websites as needed, or do calculations.

Pros

We love it's ease of use and ability to customize the PracticeMaster module. It's intuitive and the billing side is very robust.

Cons

Because of it's versatility and customization features, you can easily get carried away with data collection.

Sharon, Thank you for taking the time to leave a review! We appreciate it very much. - Emily L., Software Trainer

High praise for Tabs3

Everything was exceptional. We were able to download and test the software for our particular needs prior to purchase.

Pros

Installation and use of Tabs3 have exceeded our expectations. Attys and staff quickly learned it and like the ability to see a graph of their hours daily. For me, the billing and reporting functions are great. Customer support is accessible, knowledgeable and a big help. Also, the Help query gives lots of good documentation and tips. We installed easily, ran into some snags in first month but were quickly addressed with help from customer support.

Cons

So far we haven't hit an obstacle with use of the software or getting information from it. Much more information and reporting available for us still to explore.

Andree, Thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to leave such kind words! We appreciate it very much. If there's anything more we can do to help, please let us know! - Emily L., Software Trainer

I'm a Fan of TABS

Pros

I like working with my representative and how all programs are integrated for ease of use and efficiency.

Cons

Like anything, it took a little while to get used to a new program.

Jennifer, Thank you very much for taking the time to leave a review! We appreciate it very much! - Emily L., Software Trainer

Reliable and Convenient

We have used the product for over 30 years and are impressed with the continued updating to keep current with new technology. I am looking forward to one day being able to "dial" the client through VOIP integration already in the office.

Pros

The fact that this suite of programs interact with each other is wonderful. Everyone in the office can work in the programs simultaneously and have access to all information about any one of the clients. If one staff member enters information, notes, scans documents, enters time or costs for a client, every person will have access to that same information. This solves a lot of explaining to clients "I will ask her when she comes in if that document is ready" because the document is right there attached to their client information for all to see. Of course, you can limit by group which staff members can access what information depending on security of certain financial rights.

Cons

If you have more than one person writing checks, you must wait for the other person to finish before you can print your checks. There isn't a "stacking" policy in the payables program.

• Likelihood to recommend10.00/10

Excellent choice for attorneys looking for robust options and execllent accounting integration

Pros

The robust billing features in Tabs3 are second to none. Tabs3 allows you to pro-actively set up every client matter in accord with its unique requirements. The feature offering is so rich that it starts you thinking of scenarios you had not considered. A little difficult to penetrate at the start but the customer services by phone is exceptional and a refreshing retro to the plethora of chat models that do not hold a candle to phone support that picks up quickly and solves every issue you throw at them. But soon you know the program so well, you're calling support only infrequently..

Cons

Some features can feel a little clunky. But not a big issue.

George, Thank you for taking the time out of your day to leave us such a kind review! We appreciate your questions when you do give us a call. Thanks again! - Emily L., Software Trainer

Great! But not perfect

Pros

Its robust billing system. Technical support is always great (+10 points for them).

Cons

There are a lot of annoying features that make it not very user friendly at times such as: Reminder for Backups and especially the Tabs3 verification Lists. those are the two main things I dislike about the software. But PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE prioritize removing the verification lists popup from Tabs3. I provided some further feedback about other requested features in a prior survey, and i have emailed them to the wishlist email. A follow up would be nice, or something just letting the client know hey we're actually taking a look at this, although we don't know if and when it is getting rolled out, or a hey this a great idea! our engineers are taking a look at it to try to implement soon.... Rather than an automated message.

Peter, Thank you for taking the time to leave a review! There are some notifications for verification lists that can be turned off in the software--please reach out to Support for help on getting those removed! I will make sure your request for the others is forwarded. Thanks again! - Emily L., Software Trainer

• Likelihood to recommend7.00/10

A little hard a first to learn . . .

It was difficult to learn initially. Our consultant spent a day with me in our office showing me how to use it. The difficult part is that some of our cases are billed electronically through a third party website. Learning how to do that was difficult. The other cases are billed normally, just by creating an invoice. That part is pretty simple once you learn the program. There are still several options in the program that I don't know how to use, or haven't needed yet.

Pros

Once it's figured out how to use it, it's basically pretty simple. It does have some confusing areas however. Trying to find the solution in the Help area is difficult at times as well. Tech Support is very helpful when needed, and patient if it takes awhile to explain exactly what your problem is.

Cons

We've only been using it a little over 1 year. It was a switch from Timeslips, which is very user friendly. There have been too many updates this year though. We have to use our IT company to install the updates, which gets expensive. The main 2020 update was installed, but then there have been I believe 3 since then. It shouldn't be necessary to have so many updates, unless they can be auto installed, like Microsoft does, etc. not involving IT assistance. Tech support can do it as well, but access to the company server is required to install them.

Becky, Thank you for taking the time to leave a review! You're right that we release updates throughout the year--we're making changes and adding new features that we hope our users are excited about! We've changed the process so that not all updates have to be done on the server for our Platinum version, any updates that need to be run at the server will tell you when you go to Help | Check for Updates or when the installer is run. We hope this change will make it easier for you to keep up to date! Thanks again! - Emily L., Software Trainer

Accounting and Billing Software

I have been using TABS3, TAS, APS and GLS for over 30 years and it is a very powerful program. My office has been using this software since 1989 and we have no intention of changing it. Everyone in our office enters their own time and it is very easy to train people to use the program. The software makes the accounting, bill paying and billing very easy to do. As they have updated the software they continue to add features that save time and therefore, money. My experience with this software has been very good.

Pros

This software is very comprehensive. We use the billing, trust accounting, accounts payable and general ledger modules of this software. They are very good about updating the software on a regular basis and listen to the users comments and requests for upgrades. I like that it integrates well with all of the modules of software. The trust accounting module is excellent and makes it really easy to comply with the bar associations regulations on lawyers' trust accounts. It prints a three way reconciliation that balances not only with the bank statement, but with the trust accounts as well.

Cons

In some ways, this software is so comprehensive and has so many features that it can be hard to understand all of the capabilities of the software or to find certain features. But if you think it can do something, it probably can. The Software Technology technical support people are incredible. They will stay on the phone with you for as long as it takes to learn a feature or figure out how to do something.

Terre, thank you very much for taking the time to leave a review! We appreciate it! - Emily L., Software Trainer

Love STI Products

I've been using TABS3 software since about 1998. Having TABS3 Software and its integrated software modules make billing, case management, accounts payable, GL and trust accounting a breeze. TABS3 software bills are easy for clients to read making it easier for them to pay. It's easy to maneuver in, make changes on a draft basis and the like. Pulling information from TABS3 software for analytics makes my job easier to determine timekeeper production, fields of practice viability, and financial progress. And bank reconciliations - nice! PracticeMaster manages information at-a-glance - no more pulling paper files or going to other programs to find it. TABS3 software is one of our most valuable tools.

Pros

All STI products are integrated. They are user-friendly.

Cons

Report Writer: Unless you have a computer programmer on staff or know someone who is intimately familiar with Report Writer, Report Writer is not worth the trouble because you'll never figure it out. Quirky things that cause problems: A. You can't give discounts on bills unless your current fees billed supports that amount of discount. Discounts are given on an overall basis, not just on the current fees billed. B. AP module leaves you hanging in TABS3 cost entry; it doesn't cycle back to AP so you can write more checks. C. Refunds where no money is involved can go over to GL as if money was involved - need to be on your toes to delete that immediately.

Martha, Thank you very much for taking the time to leave a review! We appreciate your input very much! We have made some changes to credits in version 19 that may help with your discounts and streamlining entry in AP--please reach out to Technical Support if you're interested in more information! - Emily L., Software Trainer

Multi-functional software

The integration features of the billing, accounts payable, general ledger and trust accounting are wonderful and such a time saver. The credit card payment feature is seamless and so easy to use.

Pros

We use Tabs 3 billing, Accounts Payable, Trust Accounting and General Ledger programs. The ease of integration is such a time saver. The credit card payment option is so seamless and user friendly.

Cons

The cost. We have been using this software since 1992. I don't like the fact that when a new enhancement comes out, i.e. when PracticeMaster was introduced, and now Platinum, you basically have to buy whole new software rather than a nominal upgrade fee--especially when we have been paying the annual maintenance fee on all separate programs. We have no use for PracticeMaster, yet it is necessary to integrate with our Worldox file management software.

Luann, Thank you very much for taking the time to leave a review! We appreciate it very much! - Emily L., Software Trainer

• Likelihood to recommend7.00/10

TABS3 afficionado

Consistent response and use for entry of fees and expenses. Billing fairly simple.

Pros

Integration with Outlook for entries of fees, expenses, calendaring ,etc.

Cons

Somewhat uncomfortable with use for flat fees

Richard, Thank you for taking the time out of your day to leave a review! We appreciate the feedback. If you'd like to reach out with suggestions on how you'd like to see flat fees implemented, we'd be happy to hear your suggestions! Thanks again! - Emily L., Software Trainer

Great system for our Firm

Tabs3 is simple to use and fits our firm of 25 attorneys perfectly. It allows us to extract data as needed and to customize our reports with their report writer function. The support is top notch and resolves our issues quickly and correctly. We are very happy with the performance of Tabs3.

Pros

The software is easy to use. We can train new attorneys and staff members quickly and get them up and running with ease. The report writer allows us to customize our reports to our needs. The support is very helpful and always resolves our issues.

Cons

Some of the stock reporting doesn't go deep enough for a larger firm. We are on the cusp of the firm size I believe they are targeting. While we do have the report writer, it would be nice to have more of a dashboard setting as an overview to the health of your firm.

Thank you for the review, Kandice! We're glad to see that Tabs3 Software is helping your firm! We greatly appreciate your feedback on reports and have passed it on to our product team. - Emily L., Senior Technical Support Representative

• Likelihood to recommend6.00/10

Comprehensive but complex

When I worked for a larger firm, we had a person dedicated to the administration of the Tabs3 software, and my experience then was more favorable. In a small firm with no dedicated administrator, it is more difficult and time consuming to use. It is probably a better product for a larger firm overall.

Pros

Tabs3 includes just about every function a law firm could want in a billing system. It is a very comprehensive system that is very likely to meet all needs of even them most sophisticated law firms. Once the system is set up with clients, it is not overly difficult to enter time and expenses as an attorney. But the set-up process and anything outside of the ordinary time or expense entry can be complicated.

Cons

I think overall Tabs3 is a difficult to use. In a small firm without an expert administrator to set up the clients, bills and retainer accounts, it is overly taxing to manage this software. As previously indicated, entering time once the set-up is done is not difficult and it is very easy and quick to move from field to field, but anything outside the normal input of time causes me wasted time in...

Lynn, Thank you for taking the time to leave a review! We've been working hard on improving Tabs3 and introducing new features to make it easier to use. I hope you check out our newest version when it comes out later this year! - Emily L., Software Trainer

The best software suite for Law Firms

With all of their products integrated, as well as integration with third party products, it has reduced errors by reducing the number of points of data entry, particularly when one otherwise would have to enter data into multiple points. Not only does it save staff time, but it saves the lawyers time as well because there are less places to verify correct data entry.

Pros

The best part of this software is how in depth you can go to customize it, particularly PracticeMaster (the law practice management piece of software). However, what is really the icing on the cake is that you can keep it as simple as you want, making it easy to begin using on Day 1.

Cons

The deeper you go into customization, the more difficult it gets to 'program' it, so to speak. That said, they have knowledge base articles for nearly everything it seems, all of which do a good job walking you through what you want to do. And when that doesn't work, customer support has always been extremely helpful, prompt, and easy to work with.

Dan, Thank you very much for taking the time to leave a review! We appreciate your input very much! - Emily L., Software Trainer

Use It, Love It, Recommend It

I keep everything about my business in Tabs3, PracticeMaster and the Tabs3 Financials. When I am out of the office I get to my data with Tabs3 Connect.

Pros

It is feature rich (can do everything I ask it to do) and is easy to use.

Cons

Very little not to like. Even the price is surprisingly OK. They don't want to be the most expensive - just the best.

Don, Thank you for taking the time to leave a review! We appreciate it very much. - Emily L., Software Trainer

Review of Tabs3 Suite

We recommend using all of the products, including trust accounting, check writing, TABS and Practicemaster. They link together, so information only has to be entered once. The reports that can be run keep you on top of all your deadlines and cases.

Pros

Stability of the product. Very rarely crashes.

Cons

Difficulty in setting up workflows. Need help to set up reports

George, Thank you for taking the time to leave a review! We appreciate hearing your feedback. If there's anything we can do to help, please let us know! - Emily L., Software Trainer

Wonderful Billing and Practice Management Software

Overall, I would highly recommend Tabs3 billing and PracticeMaster to streamline management of your client information and billing.

Pros

I have used Tabs3 billing software for years and absolutely love it! It is easy to learn and makes billing almost effortless. It offers so many features that allow you to customize statements according to client needs. We also use PracticeMaster and it is remarkable software as well. It makes it easy to consolidate all client information in one place that is accessible to everyone in the firm.

Cons

What I like least about Tabs3 is the initial statement design is somewhat cumbersome. I also do not care for the flat fee billing options; there is not enough flexibility. I cannot think of anything I do not like about PracticeMaster.

Tanya, Thank you for taking the time out of your day to leave a review! We appreciate your feedback. We're working on a lot of new features for Version 2020 and beyond that we think you'll like. Thank you again! - Emily L., Software Trainer

• Likelihood to recommend8.00/10

Class Action Law Firm

I really like the software because I can pull time and expenses quickly. I had another firm ask how come I can quickly get the information needed out of my system. I recommended this software to them and sent them your information.

Pros

It captures cost and fees in one easy to use program

Cons

The software does not allow the AP system to populate name and address from Tabs3 to issue client settlement checks. Class action firms represent many clients in the same case. When a case settles I have to print client name and address then type the same information into the AP program to issue checks. Being a class action firm we do not bill clients for fees and cost. I need the capability to bill and track cost to individual partners in the firm who then pays for the cost. This billing needs to be on a percentage basis.

Patty, thank you very much for taking the time to leave a review, and for recommending us! We appreciate your input, and I'll forward your request for populating client information into APS to our product development team! - Emily L., Software Trainer

• Likelihood to recommend9.00/10

Tabs is EASY to learn and EASY to use!

AMAZING. I love this software. It's the best account billing software that I've used in the legal field so far. When cost codes are needed for certain accounts they are easy to use and the reports that can be generated are very detailed.

Pros

I love how easy Tabs is to use and just like the name, all you have to do is TAB through the entire invoice. It's very easy to navigate and when you need to make changes it's super easy. The new design layout that was just unveiled is great! There are some new much-needed features that were updated and that makes it even better.

Cons

I don't like the fact that once you create an invoice and save it if you realize you messed up and put it under the wrong account number, you can't just fix it and delete it yourself. You need to contact an administrator with permissions to have it deleted, but I understand that's just a safety precaution and nothing really negative about the software itself. Otherwise, I haven't found any additional negative things about Tabs.

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave a review! We appreciate your comments very much. If there's anything we can do to help you, please let us know! - Emily L., Software Trainer

Tabs3 Billing, Accounting & Practice Management

I have been using Tabs3 software for 30+ years. As a consultant, I am familiar with many of the other legal software packages, and the one I use for my business is Tabs3. It continues to evolve with the latest technology, and I completely trust the integrity of the software.

Pros

The software is rock-solid. It is comprehensive and integrates all areas of the law practice. The company (STI) is meticulous in producing bug-free software, and they are immediately responsive to all support questions. The user interface is intuitive and the work-flow is easy. The process to email bills has reduced my billing time from 2 days to 1 hour. Too many great features to list them all. I give this software my highest recommendation.

Cons

One minor option I'd like to see is the ability to change WIP transactions for costs as well as for fees.

Nancy, Thanks for taking the time to leave a review! We appreciate it, and your years of experience! As always, let us know if there's anything we can do to help! - Emily L., Software Trainer

The Best

Tab3 Software answers all the needs of our firm. Their support group is top notch and you RARELY wait long for a technician. All of their techs are extremely knowledgeable and take the time to listen to your issue.

Pros

The integration is seamless and the Financial reports are the best; Trust accounting is perfect and will keep your State Bar very happy with the level of detail. Periodic upgrades are continually made available to the users to keep the product current as our industry and needs change. We do not use the document management "Practice Master" as another product was already in use in our office.

Cons

It seems many of the modifications are more driver to the Practice Management integration side. However since all originate within the different modules we are able to use those items that enhance our needs.

Louise, Thank you very much for taking the time to leave a review! We appreciate your input and hope you'll be excited by the changes coming in our next version! - Emily L., Software Trainer