Tabs3 Reviews

Tabs3

Law practice management suite for law firms

4.66/5 (144 reviews)

Pros
  • I love how easy Tabs is to use and just like the name, all you have to do is TAB through the entire invoice. It's very easy to navigate and when you need to make changes it's super easy.Verified ReviewerRead the full review
  • The integration is seamless and the Financial reports are the best; Trust accounting is perfect and will keep your State Bar very happy with the level of detail.Louise R.Read the full review
  • If you do not understand how to do something or how to fix something done in error, the Knowledge Base is usually very helpful but if you call for help it is always super fast and super helpful.Jennifer W.Read the full review
Cons
  • If you make a mistake on your entry, it can be difficult to locate and correct if you work in a large office.Melissa P.Read the full review
  • I don't like the fact that once you create an invoice and save it if you realize you messed up and put it under the wrong account number, you can't just fix it and delete it yourself.Verified ReviewerRead the full review
  • We have no use for PracticeMaster, yet it is necessary to integrate with our Worldox file management software.Luann M.Read the full review
recommended this to a friend or a colleague
Tracy Moerer

I highly recommend Tabs3 Software

Reviewed 2019-07-31

We use Tabs for our timekeeping and billing, the Tabs3 Connect is a great feature for attorneys to enter their time on the go. The General Ledger and Accounts Payable software integrate well with each other and with Tabs, so that saves on duplication of work. Practice Master has great features and is a great database for containing the information needed for our clients.

Pros
The software is very user friendly, the programs are intuitive and the e-mail bills are a great function! We have been using all the products offered by Tabs3 for over 25 years. The upgrades always have something new and better when they come out.

Cons
There just isn't enough time for me to learn all the capabilities of the software.

Response from Tabs3 Software

Tracy, Thank you for taking the time to leave a review! We appreciate hearing from you. Unfortunately I can't add more time to the day, but if there's something we can do to make things easier for you, please let us know! - Emily L., Software Trainer

Sharon Jurenka

Complete package for the small law firm

Reviewed 2019-08-01

We were able to build a collections process that efficiently walks through the matter steps so that everything is done quickly and accurately. Setting up workflows that set calendar follow, merge documents, send emails, launch appropriate websites as needed, or do calculations.

Pros
We love it's ease of use and ability to customize the PracticeMaster module. It's intuitive and the billing side is very robust.

Cons
Because of it's versatility and customization features, you can easily get carried away with data collection.

Response from Tabs3 Software

Sharon, Thank you for taking the time to leave a review! We appreciate it very much. - Emily L., Software Trainer

Phil Gunthert

The not so good Tabs

Reviewed 2016-08-18

I have had Tabs since 2010, it is terrible. You purchase the program and then you constantly have to go back to customer service (tech dept.) and they want to hit you up for $200 per hour for tech help, as you can imagine that is absurd, expensive and terrible. They let you buy the product and make it seem like there is no additional cost, reality is that you better pay for the ongoing tech support because there are always errors and problems that need addressing, did I mention the $50 minimal charge or $200 per hour for tech help. I rarely was able to use the program, each time I tries there was some new error message and a need to seek out tech department, truly a terrible experience.

Pros
The software has a wide array of features and billing is nicely prints out in a very organized and concise format, it really does have a lot of detail and nice features.

Cons
It seems to always have some problem or error message on the rare instances when I actually needed it to do a billing for a client, nothing is worse than paying for a product and then having to waste time because it will not work and then get stuck paying extra by having to call and pay the tech department $200 per hour to help you figure out why their product does not work as it is promised and as it should from the start. How is it possible that the product regularly has error messages that are not resolvable without a call to the tech department. Very frustrating.

Response from Software Technology

I am sorry that Mr. Gunthert has not had a good experience. We have reached out to him to discuss the specific issues that he is having.

I did want to mention a few things related to the points that he brought up. To make sure clients get off to a good start, every purchase of Tabs3 includes a free year of maintenance, which includes both technical support and any product updates that come out during the year. After a year, the maintenance is optional. Many clients prefer that to being required to pay an annual fee.

Also, our technical support team gets very high marks. In our last client survey 96% of our clients said they were satisfied with the support that they received from our team. In that same survey, 9 out of 10 Tabs3 clients say they would recommend Tabs3 to other firms.

Kim Hanzl, Support Manager

Likelihood to recommend: 4/10

Jennifer Gellner

I'm a Fan of TABS

Reviewed 2019-07-17

Pros
I like working with my representative and how all programs are integrated for ease of use and efficiency.

Cons
Like anything, it took a little while to get used to a new program.

Response from Tabs3 Software

Jennifer, Thank you very much for taking the time to leave a review! We appreciate it very much! - Emily L., Software Trainer

Likelihood to recommend: 9/10

Daniel Wintz

Excellent Support for Outstanding Time, Billing, and Practice Management

Reviewed 2019-08-12

Capturing much more time for each time keeper.

Pros
It is server based and not cloud based. It is very comprehensive and is making us more productive and time capturing.

Cons
While not actually difficult, it is less than intuitive to learn.

Response from Tabs3 Software

Daniel, Thank you very much for taking the time to leave us a review! We appreciate it. If there's anything we can do to help, please let us know! - Emily L., Software Trainer

Tanya Bainter

Wonderful Billing and Practice Management Software

Reviewed 2020-02-18

Overall, I would highly recommend Tabs3 billing and PracticeMaster to streamline management of your client information and billing.

Pros
I have used Tabs3 billing software for years and absolutely love it! It is easy to learn and makes billing almost effortless. It offers so many features that allow you to customize statements according to client needs. We also use PracticeMaster and it is remarkable software as well. It makes it easy to consolidate all client information in one place that is accessible to everyone in the firm.

Cons
What I like least about Tabs3 is the initial statement design is somewhat cumbersome. I also do not care for the flat fee billing options; there is not enough flexibility. I cannot think of anything I do not like about PracticeMaster.

Response from Tabs3 Software

Tanya, Thank you for taking the time out of your day to leave a review! We appreciate your feedback. We're working on a lot of new features for Version 2020 and beyond that we think you'll like. Thank you again! - Emily L., Software Trainer

Nancy Childerston

Tabs3 Billing, Accounting & Practice Management

Reviewed 2019-09-26

I have been using Tabs3 software for 30+ years. As a consultant, I am familiar with many of the other legal software packages, and the one I use for my business is Tabs3. It continues to evolve with the latest technology, and I completely trust the integrity of the software.

Pros
The software is rock-solid. It is comprehensive and integrates all areas of the law practice. The company (STI) is meticulous in producing bug-free software, and they are immediately responsive to all support questions. The user interface is intuitive and the work-flow is easy. The process to email bills has reduced my billing time from 2 days to 1 hour. Too many great features to list them all. I give this software my highest recommendation.

Cons
One minor option I'd like to see is the ability to change WIP transactions for costs as well as for fees.

Response from Tabs3 Software

Nancy, Thanks for taking the time to leave a review! We appreciate it, and your years of experience! As always, let us know if there's anything we can do to help! - Emily L., Software Trainer

Julie Ebelhar

Great billing software

Reviewed 2019-10-31

This billing software serves our purpose and does everything we need it to do. The customer support is outstanding. Anytime we run into a problem, they are always able to solve it.

Pros
I like the ease of use of Tabs3. It does everything we need it to do. They have great customer support. Anytime I run into a problem, they are always able to solve it.

Cons
There is really nothing I dislike about Tabs3. It does everything we need it to do. I have never used anything else, so I have nothing to compare it to.

Response from Tabs3 Software

Julie, Thank you very much for taking the time out of your day to leave a review! We appreciate your feedback very much. If there's anything we can do to help, please let us know! - Emily L., Software Trainer

Bryan Morin

Tabs 3 is a great product for small to midsize law firms

Reviewed 2019-11-12

Excellent experience. Great overall. No complaints. Great people to work with!

Pros
Intuitive. Easy to learn. Great technical support based in the United States. U.S. based company that is not owned by one of the giant legal industry firms. A network of consultants who are passionate about the product. Well thought out and tested updates.

Cons
Can't think of many. Support becomes mandatory to use the software beginning in 2020, but you'll want to pay for support to get updates and the excellent tech support

Apryl Sweeney

Functional and Easy to Use

Reviewed 2020-01-22

Overall, have managed time better with the ease to use and organization of the program

Pros
Well organized and east o find what you are looking for. One stop for all your needs.

Cons
If invoices unpaid, all the invoices print.

Response from Tabs3 Software

Apryl, Thank you for taking the time to leave a review! We're glad Tabs3 is helping you keep on top of your work. In newer versions of the software, we've made Tabs3 even easier to navigate and added several great new features to make your day even easier. We hope you'll take a look at Version 2020! Thank you again! - Emily L., Software Trainer

Terre Skelly

Accounting and Billing Software

Reviewed 2019-07-23

I have been using TABS3, TAS, APS and GLS for over 30 years and it is a very powerful program. My office has been using this software since 1989 and we have no intention of changing it. Everyone in our office enters their own time and it is very easy to train people to use the program. The software makes the accounting, bill paying and billing very easy to do. As they have updated the software they continue to add features that save time and therefore, money. My experience with this software has been very good.

Pros
This software is very comprehensive. We use the billing, trust accounting, accounts payable and general ledger modules of this software. They are very good about updating the software on a regular basis and listen to the users comments and requests for upgrades. I like that it integrates well with all of the modules of software. The trust accounting module is excellent and makes it really easy to comply with the bar associations regulations on lawyers' trust accounts. It prints a three way reconciliation that balances not only with the bank statement, but with the trust accounts as well.

Cons
In some ways, this software is so comprehensive and has so many features that it can be hard to understand all of the capabilities of the software or to find certain features. But if you think it can do something, it probably can. The Software Technology technical support people are incredible. They will stay on the phone with you for as long as it takes to learn a feature or figure out how to do something.

Response from Tabs3 Software

Terre, thank you very much for taking the time to leave a review! We appreciate it! - Emily L., Software Trainer

Martha Ackerman

Love STI Products

Reviewed 2019-07-02

I've been using TABS3 software since about 1998. Having TABS3 Software and its integrated software modules make billing, case management, accounts payable, GL and trust accounting a breeze. TABS3 software bills are easy for clients to read making it easier for them to pay. It's easy to maneuver in, make changes on a draft basis and the like. Pulling information from TABS3 software for analytics makes my job easier to determine timekeeper production, fields of practice viability, and financial progress. And bank reconciliations - nice! PracticeMaster manages information at-a-glance - no more pulling paper files or going to other programs to find it. TABS3 software is one of our most valuable tools.

Pros
All STI products are integrated. They are user-friendly.

Cons
Report Writer: Unless you have a computer programmer on staff or know someone who is intimately familiar with Report Writer, Report Writer is not worth the trouble because you'll never figure it out. Quirky things that cause problems: A. You can't give discounts on bills unless your current fees billed supports that amount of discount. Discounts are given on an overall basis, not just on the current fees billed. B. AP module leaves you hanging in TABS3 cost entry; it doesn't cycle back to AP so you can write more checks. C. Refunds where no money is involved can go over to GL as if money was involved - need to be on your toes to delete that immediately.

Response from Tabs3 Software

Martha, Thank you very much for taking the time to leave a review! We appreciate your input very much! We have made some changes to credits in version 19 that may help with your discounts and streamlining entry in AP--please reach out to Technical Support if you're interested in more information! - Emily L., Software Trainer

Luann Meyer

Multi-functional software

Reviewed 2019-07-16

The integration features of the billing, accounts payable, general ledger and trust accounting are wonderful and such a time saver. The credit card payment feature is seamless and so easy to use.

Pros
We use Tabs 3 billing, Accounts Payable, Trust Accounting and General Ledger programs. The ease of integration is such a time saver. The credit card payment option is so seamless and user friendly.

Cons
The cost. We have been using this software since 1992. I don't like the fact that when a new enhancement comes out, i.e. when PracticeMaster was introduced, and now Platinum, you basically have to buy whole new software rather than a nominal upgrade fee--especially when we have been paying the annual maintenance fee on all separate programs. We have no use for PracticeMaster, yet it is necessary to integrate with our Worldox file management software.

Response from Tabs3 Software

Luann, Thank you very much for taking the time to leave a review! We appreciate it very much! - Emily L., Software Trainer

Kandice Behnke

Great system for our Firm

Reviewed 2017-02-02

Tabs3 is simple to use and fits our firm of 25 attorneys perfectly. It allows us to extract data as needed and to customize our reports with their report writer function. The support is top notch and resolves our issues quickly and correctly. We are very happy with the performance of Tabs3.

Pros
The software is easy to use. We can train new attorneys and staff members quickly and get them up and running with ease. The report writer allows us to customize our reports to our needs. The support is very helpful and always resolves our issues.

Cons
Some of the stock reporting doesn't go deep enough for a larger firm. We are on the cusp of the firm size I believe they are targeting. While we do have the report writer, it would be nice to have more of a dashboard setting as an overview to the health of your firm.

Response from Tabs3 Software

Thank you for the review, Kandice! We're glad to see that Tabs3 Software is helping your firm! We greatly appreciate your feedback on reports and have passed it on to our product team.
- Emily L., Senior Technical Support Representative

Lynn Buskey

Comprehensive but complex

Used monthly for 2+ years
Reviewed 2019-09-02

When I worked for a larger firm, we had a person dedicated to the administration of the Tabs3 software, and my experience then was more favorable. In a small firm with no dedicated administrator, it is more difficult and time consuming to use. It is probably a better product for a larger firm overall.

Pros
Tabs3 includes just about every function a law firm could want in a billing system. It is a very comprehensive system that is very likely to meet all needs of even them most sophisticated law firms. Once the system is set up with clients, it is not overly difficult to enter time and expenses as an attorney. But the set-up process and anything outside of the ordinary time or expense entry can be complicated.

Cons
I think overall Tabs3 is a difficult to use. In a small firm without an expert administrator to set up the clients, bills and retainer accounts, it is overly taxing to manage this software. As previously indicated, entering time once the set-up is done is not difficult and it is very easy and quick to move from field to field, but anything outside the normal input of time causes me wasted time in trying to figure out how to do it. Many years ago I also used Tabs (version?) in another, larger law firm, and we were unable to alter the total bill without the system adjusting every entry on the bill. For example, instead of a courtesy of $100, every entry would be adjusted by a percentage so that the final bill was reduced by $100. This was very frustrating, but I have not had the opportunity to use this function in the most up-to-date version, and it may have been "fixed" by now.

Response from Tabs3 Software

Lynn, Thank you for taking the time to leave a review! We've been working hard on improving Tabs3 and introducing new features to make it easier to use. I hope you check out our newest version when it comes out later this year! - Emily L., Software Trainer

Likelihood to recommend: 6/10

Dan Rockhold

The best software suite for Law Firms

Reviewed 2019-07-02

With all of their products integrated, as well as integration with third party products, it has reduced errors by reducing the number of points of data entry, particularly when one otherwise would have to enter data into multiple points. Not only does it save staff time, but it saves the lawyers time as well because there are less places to verify correct data entry.

Pros
The best part of this software is how in depth you can go to customize it, particularly PracticeMaster (the law practice management piece of software). However, what is really the icing on the cake is that you can keep it as simple as you want, making it easy to begin using on Day 1.

Cons
The deeper you go into customization, the more difficult it gets to 'program' it, so to speak. That said, they have knowledge base articles for nearly everything it seems, all of which do a good job walking you through what you want to do. And when that doesn't work, customer support has always been extremely helpful, prompt, and easy to work with.

Response from Tabs3 Software

Dan, Thank you very much for taking the time to leave a review! We appreciate your input very much! - Emily L., Software Trainer

Don Grady

Use It, Love It, Recommend It

Reviewed 2019-07-31

I keep everything about my business in Tabs3, PracticeMaster and the Tabs3 Financials. When I am out of the office I get to my data with Tabs3 Connect.

Pros
It is feature rich (can do everything I ask it to do) and is easy to use.

Cons
Very little not to like. Even the price is surprisingly OK. They don't want to be the most expensive - just the best.

Response from Tabs3 Software

Don, Thank you for taking the time to leave a review! We appreciate it very much. - Emily L., Software Trainer

George Hand

Review of Tabs3 Suite

Reviewed 2019-08-30

We recommend using all of the products, including trust accounting, check writing, TABS and Practicemaster. They link together, so information only has to be entered once. The reports that can be run keep you on top of all your deadlines and cases.

Pros
Stability of the product. Very rarely crashes.

Cons
Difficulty in setting up workflows. Need help to set up reports

Response from Tabs3 Software

George, Thank you for taking the time to leave a review! We appreciate hearing your feedback. If there's anything we can do to help, please let us know! - Emily L., Software Trainer

Patty Parsons

Class Action Law Firm

Reviewed 2019-07-19

I really like the software because I can pull time and expenses quickly. I had another firm ask how come I can quickly get the information needed out of my system. I recommended this software to them and sent them your information.

Pros
It captures cost and fees in one easy to use program

Cons
The software does not allow the AP system to populate name and address from Tabs3 to issue client settlement checks. Class action firms represent many clients in the same case. When a case settles I have to print client name and address then type the same information into the AP program to issue checks. Being a class action firm we do not bill clients for fees and cost. I need the capability to bill and track cost to individual partners in the firm who then pays for the cost. This billing needs to be on a percentage basis.

Response from Tabs3 Software

Patty, thank you very much for taking the time to leave a review, and for recommending us! We appreciate your input, and I'll forward your request for populating client information into APS to our product development team! - Emily L., Software Trainer

Likelihood to recommend: 8/10

Anonymous

Tabs is EASY to learn and EASY to use!

Reviewed 2019-06-17

AMAZING. I love this software. It's the best account billing software that I've used in the legal field so far. When cost codes are needed for certain accounts they are easy to use and the reports that can be generated are very detailed.

Pros
I love how easy Tabs is to use and just like the name, all you have to do is TAB through the entire invoice. It's very easy to navigate and when you need to make changes it's super easy. The new design layout that was just unveiled is great! There are some new much-needed features that were updated and that makes it even better.

Cons
I don't like the fact that once you create an invoice and save it if you realize you messed up and put it under the wrong account number, you can't just fix it and delete it yourself. You need to contact an administrator with permissions to have it deleted, but I understand that's just a safety precaution and nothing really negative about the software itself. Otherwise, I haven't found any additional negative things about Tabs.

Response from Tabs3 Software

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave a review! We appreciate your comments very much. If there's anything we can do to help you, please let us know! - Emily L., Software Trainer

Likelihood to recommend: 9/10

Louise Robbins

The Best

Reviewed 2019-07-09

Tab3 Software answers all the needs of our firm. Their support group is top notch and you RARELY wait long for a technician. All of their techs are extremely knowledgeable and take the time to listen to your issue.

Pros
The integration is seamless and the Financial reports are the best; Trust accounting is perfect and will keep your State Bar very happy with the level of detail. Periodic upgrades are continually made available to the users to keep the product current as our industry and needs change. We do not use the document management "Practice Master" as another product was already in use in our office.

Cons
It seems many of the modifications are more driver to the Practice Management integration side. However since all originate within the different modules we are able to use those items that enhance our needs.

Response from Tabs3 Software

Louise, Thank you very much for taking the time to leave a review! We appreciate your input and hope you'll be excited by the changes coming in our next version! - Emily L., Software Trainer

Merle Ehlers

TABS3 Software

Reviewed 2019-07-16

We use all the modules of the TABS3 software. Because all the modules are integrated transaction data passes seamlessly between them eliminating any duplicate entry and ensuring all the firm's data is up to date, accurate and consistent across all business functions. Complete accurate business transaction data in turn allows the firm to make timely and productive business decisions.

Pros
The full integrated functionality. We use all the modules PM, TABS, APS, GLS and TAS. All of the modules work together and there are no interfaces that have have to be maintained or adjusted for with new releases of multiple products.

Cons
It s very feature rich and I am not sure we are using all of its capabilities to their full advantage but operating the business comes first.

Response from Tabs3 Software

Merle, Thank you very much for taking the time to leave a review! We appreciate it very much! - Emily L., Software Trainer

Dorothy Bartholomew

Control Your Business With This Powerful Software

Reviewed 2019-09-13

Tabs3 software is very powerful. By the time I learned how to use Tabs 3 at the most basic level, I felt as if I could be an accountant. I am still discovering useful and time saving features.

Pros
I most value the interface between Practice Master Billing and Tabs 3 . A law firm rises or falls on its billing practices. The easy to use timer allows us to easily capture time spent on multiple projects and with multiple clients throughout the work day, which results in more accurate billing.

Cons
The software is not user friendly. The learning curve is very steep.

Response from Tabs3 Software

Dorothy, Thank you for taking the time to leave a review, we appreciate it! We'd like to know what we could do to make the software easier for you to use--feel free to contact Technical Support with any suggestions. Thanks again! - Emily L., Software Trainer

Likelihood to recommend: 5/10

Maria Agunzo

Couldn't live without it!

Reviewed 2019-08-02

We get numbers for profitability reports. Can run reports for daily cash receipts. Overall, we can get billing out quickly and have reports as needed.

Pros
So user friendly! Like that all modules are connected. It saves so much time - enter once and it's linked to other modules/reports. Reports can be set up for our specific needs.

Cons
That if a final statement is undone for corrections you cannot use the same statement number when printed again.

Response from Tabs3 Software

Maria, Thanks for taking the time to leave a review! We appreciate it very much. When you have a moment, please call Technical Support--there is a process to be able to reuse a statement number after undoing it, they can give you the instructions to do so! Thanks again! - Emily L., Software Trainer

Julie Payne

I highly recommend Practice Master and Tabs3

Reviewed 2019-07-01

Pros
Practice Master and Tabs3 provide easy to use case management, conflict check, management of client funds and billing, and capture of billable time. I have used it for over 10 years and appreciate the low maintenance, cost, and dependability of this product.

Cons
I began my law practice without a high level of computer/technological skills. Practice Master and Tabs3 has considerably more capabilities than I am able to utilize with my limited tech skills. The tech support necessary for me to learn to utilize the other components costs more than I want to pay.

Response from Tabs3 Software

Julie, Thank you very much for taking the time to leave a review! We appreciate your input very much! There is a library of training videos out on our website that may be helpful for learning more of the product. - Emily L., Software Trainer