Blackbaud Financial Edge NXT Logo

Blackbaud Financial Edge NXT

Cloud fund accounting software for social good organizations

Blackbaud Financial Edge NXT Reviews

4.2

Rating criteria

• Likelihood to recommend7.95/10

Reviews by rating

The NXT online service is very easy to use and very flexible to our needs for reporting. The support is good, most reps are very responsive and I love Blackbaud University.
The integration between Altru (our sub-ledger), BB Merchant Services and FE/NXT is superb in my opinion. You have the ability to track a transaction backwards and forwards.
I like the ease of logging in. I also like the clean looking interface, and am looking forward to more options to come.
There are so many tabs and fields, and they can get very confusing. Also, there are some required fields that can be frustrating (I might not know the gender of a child with a gender neutral name).
Once blackbaud lures you in you are trapped, then they raise the prices , sometimes by three times the original amount, and your company suffers.
You are not able to use papersave with it just yet so the drag and drop/ upload feature is obsolete to me.

JK

John K.

This reviewer only left a rating

Blackbaud's FinancialEdge is fantastic. We here at Evangel University has been using FE since 1997 and have no problems to speak of. It is very easy to use; very easy to customize your account number structure; very stable. You can create any report you want, from very detailed to summary information. All this is capable through the Chart Organizer. It has the capabilities to create PivotTables,...

RE

Robert E.

Philanthropy, 11-50 employees

Blackbaud Financial Edge (BBFE)

BBFE has both strengths and weaknesses, as might be expected. It is a true fund accounting software with the ability to handle thousands of funds. Being able to push data in and exporting data out are 2 features that are usually very important, and BBFE mostly does that well. BBFE allows for attaching various homegrown codes to the data at the fund, account, and transaction level. This is not a panacea but can be helpful. The software can be used in a fairly high volume a/p environment and the g/l functionality is also pretty good.

Pros

Exporting data is easy, so long as the export you are looking for is available. Importing fund codes is do-able but may require some significant preparation of the upload. BBFE allows for a seemingly unlimited amount of codes to be attached to funds, accounts, and transaction lines. This is very helpful. BBFE has some built in custom reporting facilities that can be helpful. BBFE has a detailed security model that can help with internal controls.

Cons

Reports: many of the builtin reports do not contain running totals and grand totals as well as header information page-to-page as one would like. Exports: the data exports are not true sql type, but are a simplified version, which is sometimes adequate. You might need another sql facility to adequately access the data and control the data joins. BBFE imposes credit memos and disallows negative invoices--depending...

AM

Angie M.

Philanthropy, 501-1,000 employees

FE- no thanks!

We were pushed into FE after our original program, Fundware, was "sunsetting". In hindsight, we should've researched other programs before settling with this one.

Pros

I guess if not being "too complex" is a pro, that would be it for Financial Edge. It is a simple product and doesn't have too many bells and whistles so its pretty easy to pick up on.

Cons

Hmm where to being.... I will preface this by saying that our implementation of FE was a nightmare. They had people leaving the company left and right and in our 3 month implementation and data conversion, we were passed along to 3 different Project managers. Because of this we were playing a constant game of catch up and I don't think we were ever really given a good training of how to use the product....

GH

George H.

Education Management, 1,001-5,000 employees

Financial Edge - the application that works with Raiser's Edge

Overall, FE is a good application if you are already RE but do not have an existing accounting application. If your organization is small and do not have an IT team, then look at Blackbaud to host your RE and FE applications and let the professionals take care of your application hardware infrastructure.

Pros

If you are using Blackbaud's Raiser's Edge (RE) software and need another application to perform accounting functions, Financial Edge (FE) is the application that will take care of Vendor tracking, A/R, A/P, etc. Rather than using another accounting application (ie. Quickbooks), Financial Edge integrates with Raiser's Edge. When you post gifts from Raiser's Edge, it goes over to Financial Edge and updates the information. The information for batch number, Appeal, Funds, Campaign migrate over to FE from RE. The user interface, look and feel between Financial Edge and Raiser's are the same. If you know RE, then FE will be easy to catch on. If you are hosted by Blackbaud, then you will be looking for FE/NXT

Cons

While there is a lot of integration from RE to FE, this comes at a cost. The FE application is expensive compared to other financial applications. If you are hosting FE on-premise, I believe Blackbaud charges by the number of users. You also need to a server with SQL to run FE. This is not like QuickBooks which can install on a local PC. If you are hosted by Blackbaud, then you will be looking at FE/NXT and again price will your main concern.

JP

Jeremiah P.

Nonprofit Organization Management, 51-200 employees

Financial Edge User

I have been using Financial Edge for almost four years now and the the strides they have made from my first impression to now are outstanding. When I first started my job I was thrown into the systems and provided little training and while the system (Accounts Payable, General Ledger) were easy to learn they were a little clunky looking and the features that made them powerful (attributes, global...

Pros

New functionalities being rolled out that allow us to use more systems working together instead of isolated. Community boards to allow users to make suggestions and learn from each other.

Cons

That NXT is not complete yet (but I understand why and agree with their methodology). Customer support can be clunky at times when the first person is not able to help you.

MR

Michael R.

Nonprofit Organization Management, 11-50 employees

Blackbaud NXT functions with great effort

Blackbaud has two ways of interfacing with the software. One can use a database interface or NXT. In some cases, NXT is easy to use. In other cases, the database option is more efficient. I find myself having to use both. Blackbaud has a steep learning curve. Parameters that control the software are buried in a sea of screens and options. It is often a needle in a haystack search. Blackbaud documentation is exhaustive but hard to find answers. User manuals may run on for hundreds of pages without answering the question.

Pros

The report writer allows financial statement to be developed using column and row specifications that are user defined. The row specs are based on organizing the chart of accounts. The columns are user defined and are adequate.

Cons

Blackbaud is not intuitive or user friendly. Trying to control the software is very cumbersome. Also the report writer in Financial Edge is less flexible than other software products I have used. Columns are defined as to time periods. But if one wants to run the same financial statement from past time periods, these specs must be re-written. The reporting periods should be a relative definition and should refer to a fiscal period selection at run time.

Philanthropy, 11-50 employees

FE and RE are standards for managing your data

RaisersEdge allows my organization to keep track of tens of thousands of individual records. Without these we wouldn't be able to interact successfully and efficiently with our clients, donors and partners. Financial Edge allows us to produce accounting reports and maintain our large assets.

Pros

RaisersEdge is easy to use and store data. RaisersEdge has vast capabilities and reliability. FE makes the process of accounting and check printing very easy. Both products integrate well with other software

Cons

Even though RaisersEdge has many different tools - you may not be likely to use many of them regularly. Instead I find I reuse the same tools and end up bypassing a lot of what I could do, instead sticking to the essentials. Those extra functionalities just are not that useful to me

CC

Candace C.

Accounting,

Financial Edge, Student Billing and Raiser's Edge - Powerful Tools!

Pros

I have used Financial Edge for over 10 years in both "traditional" non-profit settings, as well as a school. In all of these organizations, we also had Raiser's Edge - which was integrated with Financial Edge. Through the canned reports, as well as building custom reports, I have been able to accurately report on my organization's finances. The Student Billing module allows a school to record all payment activity for a student and tie that directly to the GL.

Cons

I have encountered many organizations that purchased Blackbaud Software without being properly trained. As a result, they become frustrated with the product which leads to negative comments. The sales reps should not be allowed to sell the software without a training package included.

LB

Lisa B.

Nonprofit Organization Management, 1,001-5,000 employees

Financial Edge: Ease in Monthly Reporting

Financial Edge, once everyone on the team got familiar with the process, provided accurate and easy monthly reporting. It has safe guards against human error and asks questions through the closing process that allow you to correct any mistakes.

Pros

Financial Edge, coupled with Raiser's Edge fundraising software provides seamless financial reporting opportunities for non-profits. I would suggest that you partner RE and FE together to maximize the horse power of both products.

Cons

Financial Edge and Raiser's Edge have a learning curve if you have never used the software before. When converting from another software, work closely with your Blackbaud team to ensure a successful transition.

JJ

Jennifer J.

Philanthropy, 51-200 employees

Cloud based software with your needs as their top priority

Blackbaud is very customer focused. It is important to Blackbaud that the client voices are heard. Every year they hold a conference that not only addresses the software but also gives us tools that we need as non-profits.

Pros

I love the fact that I can easily extract data. I also like that I can setup account restrictions and distributions to make sure data is correct and accurate, not to mention it saves time!

Cons

Currently, accounts receivable and payroll are not in the cloud. I look forward to when all the modules are in NXT.

CX

Claire X.

Civic & Social Organization, 51-200 employees

A top accounting software for non-profit

Blackbaud really values users' opinions. It connects all non-profit users together. It also emails me helpful tips every week.

Pros

Very good customer service. Comprehensive training program. I took all courses and mastered the software within 3 months. Those courses gave me an in-depth view of the software and simplify my work process. Financial Edge has easy-to-use features that meet our organization needs. I like the query function, VCO and various reports. VCO allows me to build reports in certain format, and query allows me to extract data quickly. The query function helps me survived this year's auditing. When an account was off, I used query and easily found the problems to fix it.

Cons

It logged me out and ran very slow sometimes. I'd like it to be able to communicate with excel easily.

TV

TOdd V.

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 51-200 employees

Financial Edge

Pros

FE is great for a fund accounting software. It does all the basics. A/P is simple and easy to accomplish. The fixed asset module works great. the ledger is fine. It can get more complicated than necessary due to the ledger structure

Cons

FE is too hard to get help. There is a lot online, but sometimes you just need to have someone talk you through an issue. I have had an issue once where I needed to have their IT dept. fix a corruption in their software when I was closing a fiscal year. This software simply costs too much for maintenance and support.

LT

Lisa T.

FENXT - Changing with the times

Keep listening to your customer base. This is a great product and it's getting better all the time.

Pros

FENXT is a very robust product. This web-based product is being enhanced constantly. The folks at Blackbaud have been very responsive to customer feedback and if there is a functionality that isn't there, they do their best to make sure that if it's possible, it is implemented. Very happy with how the product has evolved.

Cons

My suggestion at this time would be to wait until features are closer to being released before announcing them. Very frustrating when you know that something you need is going to be added but then it take six months for it to be ready.

JL

Jeff L.

Accounting,

The Cadillac of Nonprofit Software

Pros

Financial Edge is both user friendly and robust. It has significant available features to tailor your needs for reporting, querying, lookups, and of course importing and changing journal entries. The additional modules such as AR and AP are a must and integrate seamlessly for GL posting. Raiser's Edge, Blackbaud's sister product, posts directly into FE and contains significant available data for our development team. The two systems are fully linked, so that if there is a RE batch posted in FE, I can click on it in FE and bring up the record in RE.

Cons

The only big drawback with Financial Edge has been cost. The initial install and annual maintenance are a hefty price for a nonprofit struggling to serve its constituents.

CS

Christine S.

Solid financial reporting software for a mid-sized org, relatively easy to learn.

Pros

- Love being able to run reports including un-posted transactions - Love being able to attach documents to journal entries in NXT view

Cons

- Journal entry template is clunky to use & requires a lot of clicking - Journal entries are listed "backward" in NXT (compared to database view) - Can't view the entire journal entry on one screen in NXT & only see line numbers once the entry is posted in NXT view

NM

Nancy M.

Nonprofit Organization Management, 201-500 employees

BB Financial Edge - a Perfect Solution for non profit accounting

So many ways in which FE is the best solution out there. I love how it integrates and makes each task seamless.

Pros

Ease of use. Ease of implementation. Ease of customer support.

Cons

AS our company has grown, we have become accustomed to finding work arounds to use because of the integration with Raisers Edge. Attributes in Raisers Edge helped us so many times.

HT

Heidi T.

Primary/Secondary Education, 11-50 employees

Database Administrator

Pros

The FE NXT webview is a great improvement over the database view and I am looking forward to the continued delivery of new features as they role them out.

Cons

Cost. The software does allow for more complex reporting than some others I have used but the cost continues to rise and due to the development and we continue to review the ROI year over year.

CB

Crystal B.

Primary/Secondary Education, 201-500 employees

We Love Blackbaud's Products

Pros

Blackbaud has created a real community. You can talk with people in your industry, from others, and anyone who works for Blackbaud. Support is great and their followup is refreshing.

Cons

I wish they were based here in Atlanta. BB HQ is awesome and I wish they were closer, but it gives me a destination when I am looking to go to SC.

KT

Karen T.

Religious Institutions, 51-200 employees

eTapestry is very robust and comparable to RaisersEdge, for a smaller scale organization.

This is an easy to use software tool!

Pros

The query, reporting and newly added wealth rating features are easy to use and has assisted in the improvement of my interaction with donors.

Cons

Updates sometime cause changes in the queries and or account that need to be updated. If I do not check the updates, my reporting could go wrong.

MH

Margaret H.

Civic & Social Organization, 201-500 employees

Good training program

Pros

Really enjoying the training available for leArning financial edge. Accounting software is easy to use.

Cons

Customer service tickets could improve. I placed a ticket and they could not help me. But I met someone at the conference and he is going to push the issue forward.

SU

Stephanie U.

FE and all

Pros

Easy to use and similar style across all Blackbaud products. Many different features and functionality of the product line.

Cons

Reporting can use some upgrades. We are needing to build crystal reports for some of the items we need to report on

RS

Rebeka S.

Nonprofit Organization Management, 51-200 employees

Financial Edge NXT

Pros

Financial Edge NXT is fairly easy to use in that the search functionality is intuitive and the software has the ability to be quite comprehensive, depending on how familiar you are with working in it and how much information you choose to input. The more you put in, literally and figuratively, the more you will get out of it.

Cons

I wish that all of the Blackbaud programs would integrate easier across the platforms. I find that I need to open several programs to get comprehensive information.

AL

Ashley L.

Philanthropy, 201-500 employees

Very intuitive

Pros

The Visual chart organizer makes it easy to shuffle our numbers into different formats depending on the purpose and the audience.

Cons

I don’t like having to click multiple tabs to see all related information abt something (budget and actuals for an account, or vendor info and payment activity) but looking forward to NXT which will solve this.

JS

June S.

Primary/Secondary Education, 201-500 employees

Accounting Support

The exporting from the cloud requires multiple steps.

Pros

The dashboard and real time updates enable us to get an accurate update on accounts. We can get an immediate picture of budgets etc.

Cons

Exporting excel spreadsheets and crystal reports is an issue. Files must first be saved to a cloud folder and then opened and processed on your hard drive.

MW

Mark W.

Philanthropy, 501-1,000 employees

Very good software for nonprofits of all sizes

I have used Financial Edge 7 for Nonprofits after having used QuickBooks Online, Abila (fka Sage), and Microsoft GP Dynamics for nonprofit financials. I find Financial Edge to be the best of the four softwares that I have used. It is the most intuitive of the four that I have used. The biggest help to me is Blackbaud's outstanding support system. In addition to a great FAQ section on their website and many paid training sessions, Blackbaud offers a free chat service with knowledgeable tech representatives able to assist in most questions.

Pros

Intuitive mapping of how to complete processes, dynamic reporting and general ledger options, excellent support.

Cons

No ability to "drill down" into reports (something that is fixed in Financial Edge NXT), some slower processes in general.