Blackbaud Financial Edge NXT Reviews

4.35/5 (46 reviews)

George Hsing

Financial Edge - the application that works with Raiser's Edge

Reviewed 2019-03-14

Overall, FE is a good application if you are already RE but do not have an existing accounting application. If your organization is small and do not have an IT team, then look at Blackbaud to host your RE and FE applications and let the professionals take care of your application hardware infrastructure.

Pros
If you are using Blackbaud's Raiser's Edge (RE) software and need another application to perform accounting functions, Financial Edge (FE) is the application that will take care of Vendor tracking, A/R, A/P, etc. Rather than using another accounting application (ie. Quickbooks), Financial Edge integrates with Raiser's Edge. When you post gifts from Raiser's Edge, it goes over to Financial Edge and updates the information. The information for batch number, Appeal, Funds, Campaign migrate over to FE from RE. The user interface, look and feel between Financial Edge and Raiser's are the same. If you know RE, then FE will be easy to catch on. If you are hosted by Blackbaud, then you will be looking for FE/NXT

Cons
While there is a lot of integration from RE to FE, this comes at a cost. The FE application is expensive compared to other financial applications. If you are hosting FE on-premise, I believe Blackbaud charges by the number of users. You also need to a server with SQL to run FE. This is not like QuickBooks which can install on a local PC. If you are hosted by Blackbaud, then you will be looking at FE/NXT and again price will your main concern.

Jeremiah Pierce

Financial Edge User

Reviewed 2017-02-16

I have been using Financial Edge for almost four years now and the the strides they have made from my first impression to now are outstanding. When I first started my job I was thrown into the systems and provided little training and while the system (Accounts Payable, General Ledger) were easy to learn they were a little clunky looking and the features that made them powerful (attributes, global changes) were not something you would find on your own. We recently (been a little over a year) moved to the NXT version and while all the functionality is not there yet I do appreciate BlackBaud taking the time to listen to their customers while building out the functionality instead of just updating it based on the database view. While this make take more time to build out (which can be frustrating) it will hopefully allow for an even more powerful platform in the end that allows us to be a more effective and efficient team in the end.

Pros
New functionalities being rolled out that allow us to use more systems working together instead of isolated. Community boards to allow users to make suggestions and learn from each other.

Cons
That NXT is not complete yet (but I understand why and agree with their methodology). Customer support can be clunky at times when the first person is not able to help you.

Sharon Early

The combined Financial Edge, BBMS, and Altru provide for an easy month end close w/ great details

Reviewed 2018-06-14

I have time to assist my departments in dealing with budget issues on a timely basis.

Pros
I like the fact that I can either trace from a detailed posting in Altru, through BBMS to Financial Edge and prove to the auditors how transactions were processed or vice versa with ease. With this integration of the three services we have also been able to pass on to the departments receiving the income, the fees associated with processing credit card transactions - thus reducing management overhead. If you have created your environments correctly and have adequate safeguards in place as to how data is entered you have the ability to close within two-three days of month end. This gives us the ability to actually analyze the data into a monthly report that management uses to correct or improve programs.

Cons
When in the reporting function, if you are asking for a major detailed report, the system does slow down and could be a bit faster.

Elaine Tucker

Financial Edge has given us an edge up

Reviewed 2017-02-22

Financial Edge has been a great experience; we have streamlined data processes and improved our reporting cabability more than 10 fold. We love the project and grant data management pieces as well. The newest addition of Credit Card payment/processing has been a WONDERFUL thing for our office. Our CFO and Accounts Payable Staff can easily see where we are at any given moment in regards to AP/AR balances. Paying invoices is really easy and the load from tables funcationality for GL Disbursments is helpful as well. Financial Edge also has the capabilty to create recurring invoices for those AP invoices that are the same month after month. We are integrated with Raiser's Edge as well and that process is very easy as well.

Pros
Ease of use in Query and Report Parameters

Cons
Some of the more intricate invoices can be cumbersome, but that is only for a few items that we have. I wish the Vendor integration with Raiser's Edge was more robust, but it works for us ok.

Anonymous

Great cloud based accounting system for non profits!

Reviewed 2018-09-05

Pros
I've been using black baud for almost 10 years, I love the ease of using the AP side. It's very easy to get from viewing a vendor, to adding a new invoice and checking for purchase orders, all in one window (with tabs).

Cons
The only thing I don't like, it seems there are updates (which is great, but sometimes complicates things). It loses the alignment on my checks pretty drastically and doesn't save the alignment for a new run. I'm not sure if there's a glitch. It does time out kind of quickly if you aren't constantly using the system.

Response from Blackbaud

Hello Reviewer,

I appreciate you taking the time to review Financial Edge NXT! As you may know, we listen to our customers' feedback for updates - I have let our product team know about your issue with check alignment.

Please let me know if you have any other issues!

- Blake.Paradise@blackbaud.com

Anonymous

FE and RE are standards for managing your data

Reviewed 2018-03-07

RaisersEdge allows my organization to keep track of tens of thousands of individual records. Without these we wouldn't be able to interact successfully and efficiently with our clients, donors and partners. Financial Edge allows us to produce accounting reports and maintain our large assets.

Pros
RaisersEdge is easy to use and store data. RaisersEdge has vast capabilities and reliability. FE makes the process of accounting and check printing very easy. Both products integrate well with other software

Cons
Even though RaisersEdge has many different tools - you may not be likely to use many of them regularly. Instead I find I reuse the same tools and end up bypassing a lot of what I could do, instead sticking to the essentials. Those extra functionalities just are not that useful to me

Likelihood to recommend: 7/10

Ashley Peil

With their continued expanding, focus on what the users want, this product can only get better!

Reviewed 2018-03-13

Pros
The 'in testing' credit card feeds function. Our company has a lot of credit card activity and with the credit cards feed we are able to link directly to the bank accounts and pull in every transaction as they occur. This has taken our 3 days process of entering all of the receipts and shortened it down to just half a day, with the receipts already in the system all I have to do is tie it to a vendor and code it then it's done. I also like the customization when filtering through vendors and invoices each person wants and needs to see different fields and NXT really lets each user have their own experience. When entering multiple invoices for one vendor you also have the ability to duplicate the last invoice speeding things along especially if there are minimal differences between the invoices.

Cons
There is no use for our Payroll Specialist or Accounts Receivable, and with each day having at least 40 invoices to enter at one time, there is no way to enter a bulk amount of invoices like the database view allows so Accounts Payable is limited to using it only once or twice a week.

TOdd Veppert

Financial Edge

Reviewed 2018-09-19

Pros
FE is great for a fund accounting software. It does all the basics. A/P is simple and easy to accomplish. The fixed asset module works great. the ledger is fine. It can get more complicated than necessary due to the ledger structure

Cons
FE is too hard to get help. There is a lot online, but sometimes you just need to have someone talk you through an issue. I have had an issue once where I needed to have their IT dept. fix a corruption in their software when I was closing a fiscal year. This software simply costs too much for maintenance and support.

Likelihood to recommend: 4/10

Lisa Bricker

Financial Edge: Ease in Monthly Reporting

Reviewed 2018-08-31

Financial Edge, once everyone on the team got familiar with the process, provided accurate and easy monthly reporting. It has safe guards against human error and asks questions through the closing process that allow you to correct any mistakes.

Pros
Financial Edge, coupled with Raiser's Edge fundraising software provides seamless financial reporting opportunities for non-profits. I would suggest that you partner RE and FE together to maximize the horse power of both products.

Cons
Financial Edge and Raiser's Edge have a learning curve if you have never used the software before. When converting from another software, work closely with your Blackbaud team to ensure a successful transition.

Greg Seay

Great to stay up-to-date

Reviewed 2018-12-04

Pros
This was the best option for our organization as we have a large amount of staff that are in need of quick access to financial and budget information. Being a cloud system, this has allowed our staff to have quick access at any place in the world to stay informed.

Cons
Speed. I know a lot has to do with internet connection but even in places where we have fiber internet connection, the load time is lacking. This is a great opportunity area for improvement.

Dominique Jones

My review of Financial Edge NXT

Reviewed 2018-10-09

I like Financial Edge NXT and I couldn’t imagine doing my job without it!

Pros
I like that this software is for finance and accounting professionals. It has helped me to perform the daily functions of my job with limited interruptions.

Cons
I haven’t been able to understand the allocation module, and so we are still doing our investments manually. The guide that is provided seems to work more for people who have an overall understanding of how it should work.

Dave Hoffner

Terrific Coud-based Financial software for non-profits

Reviewed 2018-10-09

Accessibility, ease of use, and non-profit focus - that’s what brought us two years ago. I would add to that now - great support, innovation and scalability.

Pros
Easy, intuitive, clean interface. The look is modern and simple; but don’t let that fool you; the database and tools are robust and tremendously helpful.

Cons
Some modules still in transition to the new web view. But what they’ve done so far is very promising for the future.

Christine Settles

Solid financial reporting software for a mid-sized org, relatively easy to learn.

Reviewed 2018-04-04

Pros
- Love being able to run reports including un-posted transactions - Love being able to attach documents to journal entries in NXT view

Cons
- Journal entry template is clunky to use & requires a lot of clicking - Journal entries are listed "backward" in NXT (compared to database view) - Can't view the entire journal entry on one screen in NXT & only see line numbers once the entry is posted in NXT view

Financial NXT is a must!

Reviewed 2018-12-14

We use multiple Blackbaud products within my company, including Raiser's, NXT which is very intuitive, WordPress, TeamRaiser, Merchant Services.

Pros
Overall great foundation for management of accounting, grants, other projects. They give you the ability to customize your dashboard and views. Easily monitor accounts and generate detailed reports. Allows you to process financials in smoothly, not manually. You could even set budgets for next several years.

Cons
All Blackbaud products are very pricey but it's worth the cost. We use so many different Blackbaud products. Customer service could be improved. They send you lots of video tutorials and knowledge base articles and some of the features are kind of cumbersome to understand.

Amanda Lampard

Simple to Use

Reviewed 2019-08-20

Pros
We use both Financial Edge and Raiser's Edge and both are set up the same way. It's very user friendly. It's very easy to search for an invoice. I like how you can quickly access a recently viewed vendor.

Cons
Sometimes when the same vendor sends more than one invoice and the invoice numbers are just slightly different, F.E warns you that it might be a duplicate invoice when it's not, the numbers are just similar to each other. The online support link from inside FE does not open.

Lisa Grooms

Training is Essential

Reviewed 2018-08-20

I'm still learning NXT and all I can say is anyone considering the investment to also look at the total investment and purchase the training package. Your Employees will thank you!!

Pros
I love the training level that Blackbaud has in place I think that to be successful with Blackbaud a training package to meet your companies needs is essential. At the end of the day Blackbaud wants your success with their software and they offer the solution in awesome training opportunities.

Cons
The software has many different moving parts and being the only employee in the ar/ap deparment makes some processes a little cumbersome. I think the software is designed for larger non-profits.

Jennifer Johnson

I really enjoy using Financial Edge. I can easily gather data on information that I need quickly.

Reviewed 2017-05-03

Pros
FE NXT! I love that I can access my data using my phone or tablet. FE NXT is very easy to use. The customer support have always been very helpful and the follow-up is great.

Cons
That all the modules are not in FE NXT yet. It would be really good to have a more robust payroll/ HR system that integrated with time clocks.

Karen Tuecke

eTapestry is very robust and comparable to RaisersEdge, for a smaller scale organization.

Reviewed 2017-05-04

This is an easy to use software tool!

Pros
The query, reporting and newly added wealth rating features are easy to use and has assisted in the improvement of my interaction with donors.

Cons
Updates sometime cause changes in the queries and or account that need to be updated. If I do not check the updates, my reporting could go wrong.

Chris Nithiananthan, bCRE-PRO

Excellent!

Reviewed 2017-12-18

Pros
Easy to Use and access. I would recommend Raiser's Edge to anyone. Once you have aligned your system with Finance reports are really easy to produce.

Cons
Raiser's Edge has so many fields that can be used or created, if you don't have an established process things can get messy like any database.

Steve Canum

We use the full suite of modules and like the integration and support. Payroll is more challenging.

Reviewed 2018-06-14

Pros
Help and support tools / resources are great. Chat support is responsive and gets a solution to the problem.

Cons
Payroll leave time management configuration is challenging for our organization that has a complex leave time structure.

Dorothy E. "Dolly" Higgins

This product really can only get better

Used occasionally for 2+ years
Reviewed 2019-04-05

Our finance and marketing departments use Blackbaud FE and RE daily and they get the job done. Migrating to something else at this point would be a monumental task, but it still may well be worth the effort.

Pros
Interfaces with our Fund Raising software (Raiser's Edge, I am equally thrilled with that too, and mostly for the same reasons cited herein). Blackbaud offers a good training program (which considering the product license fees all of which should be free).

Cons
The reporting is cumbersome. Lack of a self-service audit trail. The interface is not intuitive.

Response from Blackbaud

Hi Dorothy!

I appreciate you taking the time to review Financial Edge 7 (legacy version of Financial Edge NXT) and being a loyal customer. All of the concerns you brought up in this review have been addressed the cloud-based version of FE7, Financial Edge NXT.

¿ Reporting - take advantage of being able to run multiple reports in your background at the same time, so that you can keep working while they run. You also get drill-down capabilities, 100 canned reports, and more.
¿ Interface - Financial Edge NXT is a cloud-based, modern, and intuitive platform. It is responsive and highly configurable.
¿ Audit Trail - Financial Edge NXT provides a complete audit trail with the ability for users (with permissions) to self-serve this information directly in the system.
¿ Migration - Migrating to Financial Edge NXT is very easy for Financial Edge 7 clients. We ensure that you have no loss of functionality, no data conversion, and no re-implementation.

- Blake Paradise

Likelihood to recommend: 3/10

Brooke Niarchos

I work mostly in the AP portion of the program, some journal entries

Reviewed 2017-05-16

Pros
I love how this software integrates with it's Raiser's Edge program. We are able to easily move information from there into Financial Edge, which limits the potential for errors. Plus, we are utilizing less time by not having to type the same information over.

Cons
Finding your way around in the beginning takes a little time. Especially when you are looking for something specific.

Julia Stewart

Great for reporting, adds some nice ease-of-use and efficiency features

Reviewed 2017-05-17

Pros
We upgraded from Financial Edge 7. The NXT interface is clean and very easy to learn and navigate. The reporting features are MUCH better than in the old Financial Edge, and many of the other new features they are adding (like setting up a bank feed to automatically download transactions into FE NXT for ease of transaction matching and reconciliation) are increasing our efficiency.

Cons
The roll-out of new features has been slower than I had originally anticipated when we moved to this platform over a year ago, and that's made it a little harder to get some of our staff to adopt use of the new platform over the old "classic" database view. Would be nice not to need to go back into the old view to perform some functions.

Debra Talbott

Started with Fundware, now Financial Edge ready for FE NXT

Reviewed 2018-03-08

It gives us the information required to invoice for our grants.

Pros
Ability to run many reports, view different scenarios. Tracks our expenses by funds, projects, sub projects for various account codes.

Rebeka Small

Financial Edge NXT

Reviewed 2019-07-02

Pros
Financial Edge NXT is fairly easy to use in that the search functionality is intuitive and the software has the ability to be quite comprehensive, depending on how familiar you are with working in it and how much information you choose to input. The more you put in, literally and figuratively, the more you will get out of it.

Cons
I wish that all of the Blackbaud programs would integrate easier across the platforms. I find that I need to open several programs to get comprehensive information.