Shortcut Logo

Project management platform for software development teams

Shortcut Reviews

4.6

Rating criteria

• Likelihood to recommend8.44/10

Reviews by rating

Suggested alternatives

smartsheet

Clubhouse has been fantastic. Their customer support is awesome and super helpful.
Overall, I think this is a great product when comparing to other project management softwares. It allows great customizations for your team of any size.
Clubhouse is the best if you want to be a part of a specific theme like sports, cooking, finance or whatever you want.
Sometimes the auto-save fails and you lose work. Sometimes tickets you create are lost in a void if not triaged correctly.
I was abhorred to learn that they were mostly looking at "everything" for a long long time.

Kerry B.

Newspapers, 51-200 employees

Get up and running in 1 day

Clubhouse is allowing us to capture user stories on the fly, and keep those stories organized. We are able to create custom swim lanes that match our process perfectly, so that the stories can flow from one step to the next easily until they are done. We use the reporting on a daily basis to look at our burndown chart, and to track our stats for each sprint. It is easy to add tasks for each other...

Pros

We're a scrum team developing software in the news industry. We switched from PivotalTracker to Clubhouse, and the ease of setup and how quickly we were able to learn the product was amazing. It took me weeks to get a grasp of PivotalTracker, but within a morning we were up and running on Clubhouse and loving it. The software looks clean, appealing, and intuitive, and it is so easy to learn and use that you will wonder why you used anything else ever. And the price point is easy to swallow, too. We love it!

Cons

Clubhouse is still missing robust sprint related tools. There are great workarounds in place, and they will be releasing those soon, so no hesitation on recommending it. But once they roll those features out it will be even better.

JD

John D.

Solid Product with Curated Agile Experience

A solid 8.5/10. Would recommend to others, would use again and keep using, but could stand to improve a few features that would bring it up to a 10.

Pros

This software is a curated experience that intentionally limits setup and flows compared with other products like JIRA which are less "bounded." I think this is better for most teams which do not care to install extra plugins and fight with non-intuitive workflow items.

Cons

There are some quirks in group selection and application, filtering, and sorting that do not always let me cross-cut the data the ways I want.

KD

Kathryn D.

Financial Services, 1-10 employees

Just fine

Pros

The software is intuitive and easy to use if you've used other product management software. Has lots of additional features.

Cons

The reason we stopped using it was we didn't actually need all the features that it had. In the end we felt like we had too many tools and downsized into Notion.

JM

Jarret M.

Consumer Goods, 51-200 employees

Does what you've always wanted out of Jira

Amazing!

Pros

Seems silly, but for me, it's the ability to create tasks under a ticket, and be able to convert those into tickets on their own. Jira did not have this, and still doesn't as far as I know, but wouldn't matter - Shortcut is simple to use, and ready to go out of the box.

Cons

Doesn't have the brand recognition, so hard to convince others that its the correct solution to use.

sj

sam j.

Nonprofit Organization Management, 51-200 employees

Flexible Agile-focused task and project management software

Pros

Shortcut is amazing for non-profits who need a flexible and no- to low-cost task/project management platform.

Cons

Unless you work in Agile methodology day in and day out, it can be difficult to understand how to effectively organize tasks/stories into epics and projects.

ND

Nick D.

Computer Software, 1-10 employees

Perfect Tool for Startups

We have used the product for a long time, since the Clubhouse days. We love the tool and leverage it for all of our product management and agile software delivery workflows. It integrates perfectly with our git and error tracking providers.

Pros

The ability to plan and curate our product backlog and create customized filtered views of our stories.

Cons

The product does not have a great way to document individual requirements or acceptance cases.

CK

Caleb K.

Computer Software, 51-200 employees

Shortcut rocks!

We are a small-medium sized software / digital marketing agency and this helps us plan out our biweekly sprints in a very effective and easy to understand way. The ability to easily filter the cards viewable to things only pertaining to you, and also to block off certain sections from view really helps to prevent mental clutter and stress.

Pros

I feel like the software is very easy to use, and has a sleek design, which is a huge plus

Cons

I personally didn't get much use out of the epics, but I can definitely see the appeal

JF

Jonathan F.

Program Development, 11-50 employees

ShortCut is the way to go for your Agile team

Very good software that is easy to use and understand.

Pros

Very easy to use and integrate across the whole organization. Create cross functional teams working on various projects across the organization.

Cons

No Integrated calendar view. No method to migrate stories from one workspace to a new workspace when dividing teams or organizations.

LN

Leo N.

Computer Software, self-employed

Ease and intuitive software that fits my workflow

Pros

I like the ease of use and intuitive nature of the software and its user interface. I use Shortcut for and by myself and I think it fits my workflow well.

Cons

The mobile app experience wasn’t great when I first tried. So, I have only been using the website. Not sure if that has changed since.

GV

Gabriella V.

Internet, 11-50 employees

Does the job

Pros

- Able to assign projects per sprint - Able to forecast - Milestones and epics are helpful

Cons

- Priorities are not obvious - Hard to view the order of stories - Not clean or easy to navigate

JH

Jo H.

Information Technology and Services, 51-200 employees

Rather lightweight and easy to use once you're used to it

I didn't like shortcut at first because I was used to Jira but it definitely grew on me over the past few years. I still lament the lacking integrations but they are not the most critical at this point. Thanks to the customization you get to have, it definitely presents some learning curves for newcomers. Teams need to set it up and onboard their users effectively for Shortcut to be as useful as it could be.

Pros

Shortcut feels very lightweight and fast compared to some more popular alternatives like Jira. It satisfies our needs for product development tracking (but not discovery) very well. Writing stories, attaching information is easy and they intuitively turn into previews. The reporting function looks very comprehensive and powerful but we don't use it well enough. I also wished that we were using the engineering part better to integrate well with GitHub -- starting to try it out and it seems to work well.

Cons

1. The integrations of shortcut with other commonly used software by product managers are lacking. We use shortcut in conjunction with productboard (for discovery) and notion (for company-wide documentation). The integrations with these two are quite useless to be frank. We cannot push a feature from productboard to shortcut as a feature, only as an epic, and also can't link it to an existing epic?...

VL

Veronica L.

Information Technology and Services, 11-50 employees

Clubhouse is the Goldie Locks Level of JUST RIGHT!

When I started at this company they had no real process and no project management. They were using a collection of about 70 Trello boards to categorize and track work, but there was no roll up view of everything and the sheer flexibility of Trello was too much to manage. I have worked in JIRA and similar platforms before, they are cumbersome to set up and require that you utilize their entire eco-system...

Pros

I like the ease of use, from day one of setting up Clubhouse it just made sense and was easy to configure for our purposes. It was easy to jump in and start using without much learning curve for all of the team members as well. We love how much work we can have in a single work space and with powerful filtering, searching, everyone gets their perfect view for their purpose!

Cons

I wish there were more canned reporting features for Kanban workflows, but honestly it's not the end of the world since we have access to the REST API for building our own custom reports! Right now our private Gitlab integration isn't working but what is amazing is that Clubhouse support and engineering is working through it with us. I love that about Clubhouse. (Can you tell it's hard for me to find something negative about the software???)

ZD

Zachary D.

Computer Software, 10,001+ employees

A perfect balance between the complexity of JIRA and the looseness of Trello

Years ago we started with JIRA, it did the job, but was so complex to administrate that we could not adjust and reaccess our process as we learned and grew. So we moved to Trello. Trello allowed a large amount of freedom to try new ideas on how we work. However, in the end, it was frustrating that Trello did not understand what software development was, and we had to rely on hacks to get proper reporting and insights. That led us to Clubhouse, which is a nice happy medium. It is opinionated on what software development looks like, but it gives just the right amount of flexibility so we can adjust as needed.

Pros

* It embraces the modern development process * It's fast and responsive * Almost all you need is in one screen * It has multiple layers of organization (story, epic, milestone)

Cons

* The higher layers of organization do not 100% align with our process * Some features are not available on different layers and it seems arbitrary. For example, you can't get a burn down on a sprint if that Sprint is not tracked as a "milestone". So if you are using Milestones to track large scale projects (maybe quarter goals or multi-epic initiatives) you have no way to track how your Sprint is going. Either they need a first-class Sprint concept, or allow burn downs on labels.

Information Technology and Services, 201-500 employees

A relaxing experience

Overall when I use Shortcut I feel relaxed compared to other product tools. While in other tools I feel like I am fighting the software generally I feel that Shortcut is just doing what I need to. It sounds silly but not being frustrated is a great thing!!

Pros

- I have like many in product at one point or another used Jira - It's way smoother and way less. clunky then jira. Pages are more responsive and load quicker with less jumping - Creating tickets is easy - The UI is visually appealing

Cons

- Lacking integration compared to Jira - Sometimes the auto-save fails and you lose work - sometimes tickets you create are lost in a void if not triaged correctly

PP

Pedro P.

Automotive, 201-500 employees

Good interface, easy to use

Very good experience, few hiccups over the years.

Pros

I like the visuals, the ease-of-use, everything is pretty intuitive even the first time you're using it. It's been a couple of years since my team started using it, and it works very well for us.

Cons

The name change recently forced us to adapt a lot of our automation regarding the app, but the reason for it was understandable.

DH

Davis H.

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 11-50 employees

Shortcut is the easiest to use and fastest project management tool available

Pros

I love the interface. It's fast. It's simple. It's as feature rich as we need it to be for the most part. Most integrations necessary for our business are there (GitHub, Slack, Teams). Working with stories and tickets is far simpler than it ever was with JIRA.

Cons

Building custom reports and doing custom searches for old stories for reporting purposes isn't great. It's fast, but I'm not sure what options I have available to search on.

GR

Gabriela R.

Environmental Services, 11-50 employees

I'm a fan of shortcut

Pros

Epics, millestones, projects, tags, workflow and reports are awesome!! The plataform is very intuitive and make understanding easy. The atualizantions aways come with great news and features

Cons

My team is not from the technology business so some features doesnt make sense to us. My team speak portuguese, so the language sometime is an difficult point for some. Losing the story's interactions history makes my team use the tags to identify the sprints.

Publishing, 11-50 employees

It's actually friendly and fun to use

We use it to prioritize ongoing development and large projects alike. It helps us keep track of things and get an overview of all stories requested by business teams.

Pros

The design really helps with using the app fast and with ease. It's feature packed, but the design helps with finding the feature you need fast and efficiently. It's also very smooth and fast, which makes it a pleasure to use. Boards are updated live, meaning changes colleagues make are instantly visible to everyone. We work remote so this is really helpful. Integration with other tools and the API is also very nice and the mobile app is pretty great too, which is quite the accomplishment for such a complex app. I can do anything on the road that I can do on desktop.

Cons

Reporting could be expanded. Also some better automated integration with git would be nice, f.i. creating a new branch for each story automatically (that's how we work anyway).

AD

Arturo D.

Computer Software, 11-50 employees

Best project management tool, period

Pros

Fast. Easy to onboard. Easy to use.Clear

Cons

I like everything, even that one day their team called us to hear us out

MF

Marc F.

Entertainment, 51-200 employees

review

Pros

Flexible design allows for different teams to work in different flows. Labels are extremely unstructured and therefore flexible to be used in different ways as needed.

Cons

Write feature (documentation) is very important to us both for general documentation and for documents pertaining to specific projects / epics, but it's very buggy / not being developed anymore. No more mobile app.

TM

Thomas M.

Utilities, 51-200 employees

Shortcut Review

Pros

The features are great and help me organize my work. I like the Github feature that allows linking PRs to tickets and move them along the workflow at different states.

Cons

The organization of concepts is a little confusing. Like when things should be an Epic vs a Milestone etc.

TF

Thomas F.

Computer Software, 11-50 employees

Ease and Joy of use

All the team loves it - especially compared to jira

Pros

Joy of use, low barrier to add/modify things

Cons

Priorization of tasks and epics could be easier

JZ

Jing Z.

Financial Services, 201-500 employees

Clubhouse is great!

We use it on daily bases and have had great overall experience with Clubhouse, as it helps us with breaking large projects into manageable pieces that can be prepared and planned, tracked, scheduled in every phase of the development process.

Pros

Manage projects in hierarchy using EPICS, STORIES and TASKS, and be able to label them based on your firm's development process (example: sprint_5, design_discussion, etc.) and define different phases anyway you like, such as Backlog, Development, Review, Deployment and Completion. Then you have different views of the projects at any time, like Report, Status.

Cons

I wished there could be a way to attach an identifier to each of the tasks, in case that one would use it when checking in the code or communicating with others

TH

Tyler H.

Retail, 11-50 employees

My favourite project management tool

I started using Clubhouse just about 2 years ago to give myself something easy to use for engineering project management. I was sick to death of the heavy, underperforming and sometimes outright horrible competitors in this product space that I had been stuck using for many years. Over those two years Clubhouse and I have gone from just myself using simple Kanban cards into fully-fledged projects, teams, and workspaces. As they released these features our team grew into all of them and just recently our non-engineering departments have also become converts and now it's workspaces abound. Tools are tools and they should make your life easier. That is what happens here in a very good way and that is how it should be.

Pros

- Superb UI - Customisable without clutter - Performant - Incredibly easy to use

Cons

- Reporting and metrics could be better surfaced

gl

guy l.

Smart software

Very good - my team are all strong advocates. Much easier to use than Jira

Pros

Easy to use - intuitive, multi dimensional

Cons

I don't like the change of name - I think it's unnecessary