Shortcut Logo
Shortcut

Project management platform for software development teams

visit website

Shortcut Reviews

User ratings

4.6

• Likelihood to recommend8.41/10

See full reviews by rating

Clubhouse has been fantastic. Their customer support is awesome and super helpful.
I love how intuitive and easy to use the software is. The pricing is great if you're a team of less than 10.
Overall, I think this is a great product when comparing to other project management softwares. It allows great customizations for your team of any size.
I was sick to death of the heavy, underperforming and sometimes outright horrible competitors in this product space that I had been stuck using for many years.
Sometimes the auto-save fails and you lose work. Sometimes tickets you create are lost in a void if not triaged correctly.
This may also be due to the app being invite-only, which contributes to lack of diversity.

Shortcut users...

monday.com-logocaret

monday.com

Asana-logocaret

Asana

How would you rate Shortcut?

The perfect tool for software projects using Kanban

Clubhouse helps us manage agile software projects better than ever before. With other tools it feels like we are forcing it to try to accommodate our workflow, but with Clubhouse it feels like it was designed exactly for our use.

Pros

Clubhouse brought us a new set of features and ways to organize stories and tasks that we didn't know we wanted/needed. We have always stuck with tools that were able to help improve our kanban based workflow rather than the simple project board tools like Trello that cater to everyone more than software/product development specifically. There are few tools out there that provide what we are looking for: the ability to organize and label stories with more granularity than a single label (estimates, types, project, priorities, epic, etc), and the ability to have reports like velocity and burndown charts.

Cons

It is a very small thing, but it would be nice if we could adjust the color scheme of both things like labels beyond the default options, as well as adjust the overall interface colors.

Shortcut (previously Clubhouse) has been a great improvement for us.

Overall our experience has been great. Less has been falling through the cracks, and we're able to actively manage & prioritize our development with ease. The application is enjoyed by both the development team & the management team, so everyone is benefitting from our switch to Shortcut.

Pros

1. The app is very easy to configure & set up. 2. The user experience is seamless & functionality is very self-explanatory. 3. There are multiple ways to configure each component, so you can set up the app according to what works best for you & your company. (No "one size fits all" model.) 4. The ability to set up different workflows for different departments has been a huge help for us.

Cons

1. It's a little hard to envision how each of the components should be set up for your organization when you're first getting in there (i.e., projects, workflows, milestones, epics, stories), so we ended up changing the setup as we went along after the initial configuration. This wasn't necessarily a bad thing, as it allowed us to improve the way we currently did things. 2. The biggest issue we have...

While it does the job, it's not easy to use for sorting or management

I am only a user, but I know that our Engineering manager will be switching us to a different product soon for ticket management with the reason that the new product will be much easier for everyone to use - especially for tracking their own tickets.

Pros

Does what we need it to do - create bug tickets

Cons

Not easy to filter, find or sort. Maybe I just don't know how to use the features, and I know I use them in a completely different fashion than Engineering does (we create tickets, they execute them), but each time someone says "just filter and find", I have no idea and can't figure it out. I also hear from their team about how hard it is to do what they need to do with the tickets once we create them. Not user friendly for sorting or tagging for projects.

Love the drag and drop. Great tool to stay organized

Pros

I like the drag and drop the most. It makes managing tasks so much easier

Cons

A little confusing to use. The learning curve is steep.

Great Product

Fantastic, it's very straight forward and easy to use within a small dev team (about 30)

Pros

It's non-invasive product that can be used in many different development processing styles, we have used it from Scrum, to KanBan to ShapeUp

Cons

Tasks/Ideas can easily get lost due to poor organization of shortcut

Shortcut (formerly Clubhouse) is a great task management tool for development teams

Pros

Before switching to Shortcut, we used Jira. While Jira has plenty of features, we found it a bit cumbersome and the performance of the interface was atrocious (everything single task was incredibly slow, even the most basic activities had a noticeable delay). The first major benefit we saw with Shortcut was the speed of interaction - instead of waiting for the interface to catch up, we could just log in and get things done. The integrations with various source control platforms (we use the Gitlab integration) also helps keep task statuses up to date without even having to open the web interface. Overall the speed of the interface and the available integrations lead to a feeling that Shortcut never "gets in our way".

Cons

We started out paying for Shortcut (when it was still called Clubhouse), but were soon switched to a free plan without even having to ask. Although this was a nice gesture on their part, they then released a beta of their new product called Write. This beta is only available for paying users, which is understandable, but having been moved to a free plan meant we couldn't access it. This isn't a major issue, but starting our subscription back up would require going through the approval process with our accounting department again so we've just stayed on the free plan without access to Write so far.

shortcut lover!!

totally changed my day to day for the best

Pros

best project management software ive ever used, works for technical engineers and nontechnical marketing chaps like myself.

Cons

wish there was a REALLY simple version for mobile that showed me a minimalistic view of my cards or something really creative to change my life there, if anyone could create the perfect on the go project management view, it would be you guys!

A visually pleasant alternative to Pivotal Tracker

Overall my experience with Clubhouse has been great. It's got a nice UI and is intuitive.

Pros

The biggest win for me personally in the switch to Clubhouse was simply having a nice user interface to look at when dealing with tickets.

Cons

The only issue I've had so far has been that I'm not always aware when a ticket has been reviewed. As a customer success manager, I file ticket reports and sometimes they get closed without my being alerted. We've attempted to solve this with a slack integration but I'm not sure that it's working as expected. Also, it would be nice if they didn't use markdown when you uploaded an image to a ticket comment.

Great for small teams

Pros

Shortcut is easy to jump in, set up, and use right away. I also like the ticket creation modal as it's all in one screen and there's no scrolling.

Cons

The beauty of it - it's simplicity - can also be its downfall. It doesn't offer as much customization as other competitors do - such as release management, custom fields, complex workflows, etc.

Good for the basics

Pros

Easy to use and extremely easy to set up.

Cons

Difficult to group tasks; no way to assign points or estimations

Shortcut is a great tool for small companies!

Pros

Many of the features of this software are useful to our company. Our team has come to heavily rely on the roadmap view and reporting tools. These features have kept our company on track and increased our velocity in immeasurable ways.

Cons

A few of the features our team feels are missing from Shortcut are custom fields and release management. If our team was able to have a reliable release management system, it would be very impactful to our team and customers.

Scaled for the complexity of JIRA, but with the best UX possible & no sysadmins needed

Pros

Every org grows out of Github Issues, Trello, and Asana when they realize a) stories need relationships such as blocking/blocked; b) stories need task checklists; c) different groups have different workflows; d) stories are often mini-project briefs and need to read as such. However, once you find yourself in JIRA, which you've been told is the mature platform for mature orgs, you're operating a nuclear...

Cons

very few dislikes. it's amazing. if i have to force criticism: - If you work cross-departmentally, avoid multiple workflows, or you'll be having to look at multiple kanban boards daily - the "dashboard" (home) isn't as useful as it seems like it should be so we all either use iterations or stories view for our daily lens - shortcut and productboard both boast integration, but it's not great, and i think this is the fault of productboard but really these criticisms represent like 5% negative compared to 95% enthusiastic positive

Took of our Trade

One spot for all teams to work together for client success is always going to be a win for a team.

Pros

Shortcut does a great job allowing us to manage all facets of our product and being multiple teams together for what is most important, client and end user satisfaction. It follows standard agile flow but allows flexibility where engineers and non-engineers can use it alike. We also utilize their API for templates epics and stories and it is great to work with. Support team and client success managers have been a pleasure to work with when we’ve had conversations. They always are able to handle a situation or get us in touch with someone who can. Lastly the product is always evolving and they are very transparent through their website and slack channel of what is coming next to make your life better!

Cons

Some things were less flexible such as naming conventions and required fields on stories/epics, but these are getting worked out over time (for ex projects are not required any more)

Clubhouse is all the software project management you need without the clutter and noise

Clubhouse has been a game-changer for us since we migrated from JIRA. We looked for something that was more lightweight, but still afforded us all the features we need to track our software projects. This is exactly what Clubhouse delivered, and more. I love the fact that Clubhouse gives you everything you need to track a project from the granularity of a sub-task, all the way up to milestones. This makes it easy to distinguish the forest from the trees, and present the relevant story to stakeholders at different levels. We haven't regretted the move to Clubhouse for a single moment, and we're always delighted with the new features that are regularly released. Simply put, Clubhouse gets out of your way very quickly and lets you get on with your actual goal: creating great software.

Pros

- Clean user interface - Fast search - Continuously adding of new, useful features - Great integrations - Free for teams of up to 10 users

Cons

- This is mostly me nitpicking, but I'd say reporting. It has been improving over time though. - It would also be great if there was a tool for simplifying backlog grooming

Clubhouse vs Jira? Clubhouse wins.

I have previously used Fogbugz, Jira, Trello, and a few others, and Clubhouse is the clear winner. You will find some of what I mention here applicable to something like Jira; contains depth, customer service request and issue tracking are highly visible, can be simple to use. But it would be like saying a burger from McDonald's is the same as the burger from Raoul's in NY; they both have buns, a meat patty, and you can create depth with the condiments! You could say that, but you'd be a fool. Are you a large org with cash to burn, needing extreme amounts of control, and customization, with mandated workflows? Jira has your answer. Are you a small/medium team that needs a fantastic feature & project tracking tool that works great out of the box? Clubhouse is hands down the best.

Pros

I find the product to be very simple at the surface with deep capabilities. Previously, we were using Jira and I found the software to be overkill for many of the tasks that we perform. Additionally, so much of Jira's useful functionality (and the Atlassian suite as a whole) is hidden behind paywalls, 3rd party addon services, and little gouges along the way. I absolutely abhor that practice so finding...

Cons

Navigating the nomenclature of Stories, Epics, Projects, Milestones, and how they should fit together is a bit taxing at first and takes getting used to. It would be helpful to have visual guides for someone like myself, but the documentation is available and well written. This is where I discovered the depth of capabilities in Clubhouse. You can very simply manage your project with Stories, and you can very finely tune your progress and visibility by getting to know these different groupings.

Perfect Balance Between Simplicity and Power

Clubhouse has given us a great workflow which minimises the reliance on human input while maximising the oversight we have on the work we have in progress. For our team it strikes the perfect balance between the simplicity of Trello with the best bits of more powerful tools like Jira - minus all of the bloat. I would highly recommend it for the sake that because it's developer focused, our developers actually don't mind using it. At the end of the day, your tool is only going to be as good as the effort your team is willing to put into using it so this is definitely something that isn't to be overlooked.

Pros

Unlike other agile management platforms, Clubhouse is setup that you can get a lot of value from the simple Kanban board with the option to go deeper and track more in depth insights into the progress of your work. We moved to Clubhouse from a setup of Trello with a ton of extensions to help manage the extra tracking we wanted to be doing, and I think the best analogy I can make is that Clubhouse...

Cons

There isn't anything major that I would complain about, but there are some improvements like showing epic burn down charts by points instead of the number of stories that I've asked for a few times but haven't been implemented. The reporting functionality also has a few bugs, but nothing major that stops it from being valuable.

Developer-friendly and hits the Sweet Spot for Features

Pros

Shortcut is "just right" for our needs, and thinking back about previous companies, would have been perfect in their needs, too. It is much more than a to-do tracker but doesn't overwhelm you with flexibility. My favorite part of this software is that it's story-centric. Epics are available, but they can play a supporting role if needed. Tasks are left to the developer to fill out themselves end...

Cons

This product focuses on product delivery. For more general applications, like issue tracking or process management, it may not be the best for that.

I've used Shortcut for everything for 3+ years

I use Shortcut to do everything in my job. I use it to write stories that engineers use to manage all of their work. My colleagues also submit requests, bugs, feature ideas, questions, etc. through Shortcut. Those turn into things for me to do, stories that get assigned to engineers, or just stories that the Product team uses to keep track of requests and help inform our roadmap + strategy.

Pros

I manage engineering workflow as well as my own as an individual contributor in Shortcut. I also keep track of ideas and requests for when I set out to build new products. I love using labels in Shortcuts for managing my own workflow - requests that come from different teams get different labels so members of that team can see everything I'm working on for them and reliably know what state projects are in. I try to keep as much communication in Shortcut stories as opposed to emails because being able to reference it in Shortcut is very valuable to me. The search functionality is really good and unless I've named something really weirdly I can always find what I'm looking for.

Cons

I haven't gotten familiar with using notifications in Shortcut and I rely on email notifications. This isn't to say that Shortcut doesn't have the right capabilities for notifications (commenting on stories is what I want notifications about), but just that I haven't really explored/figured it out which says something itself.

Great Solution

Pros

The software is so easy to use and was really easy to set up. Almost every integration you could need is also available to make workflow quicker and more automated.

Cons

Switching from Projects to Teams has been quite difficult and required that we rework our custom board and views used for our normal agile ceremonies.

Small Business Software WIN

The Shortcut software and formerly Clubhouse, has been exceptional! When I have use MS, Linear, and others, They don’t make as happy and relaxed and fulfilled as Shortcut does.

Pros

The ability to use Shortcut the first day, integrate with our process easily and nicely, search items successfully every time, link items, all without a hiccup!

Cons

I wish more people in our organization could use it!!!! Just doesn’t fit their processes at the moment… I am working on it though!

Perfect for Software Engineering

I love it! Very fast and responsive tool for project management.

Pros

Super easy to use, lightweight but powerful, and perfect for our use case which is software engineering.

Cons

Time tracking within the tool would be useful.

Solid Product with Curated Agile Experience

A solid 8.5/10. Would recommend to others, would use again and keep using, but could stand to improve a few features that would bring it up to a 10.

Pros

This software is a curated experience that intentionally limits setup and flows compared with other products like JIRA which are less "bounded." I think this is better for most teams which do not care to install extra plugins and fight with non-intuitive workflow items.

Cons

There are some quirks in group selection and application, filtering, and sorting that do not always let me cross-cut the data the ways I want.

Clubhouse is the Goldie Locks Level of JUST RIGHT!

When I started at this company they had no real process and no project management. They were using a collection of about 70 Trello boards to categorize and track work, but there was no roll up view of everything and the sheer flexibility of Trello was too much to manage. I have worked in JIRA and similar platforms before, they are cumbersome to set up and require that you utilize their entire eco-system...

Pros

I like the ease of use, from day one of setting up Clubhouse it just made sense and was easy to configure for our purposes. It was easy to jump in and start using without much learning curve for all of the team members as well. We love how much work we can have in a single work space and with powerful filtering, searching, everyone gets their perfect view for their purpose!

Cons

I wish there were more canned reporting features for Kanban workflows, but honestly it's not the end of the world since we have access to the REST API for building our own custom reports! Right now our private Gitlab integration isn't working but what is amazing is that Clubhouse support and engineering is working through it with us. I love that about Clubhouse. (Can you tell it's hard for me to find something negative about the software???)

Effective Project Management for Small to Large Software Teams

I really enjoy using shortcut and it has given us the ability to manage complex projects. I highly recommend it.

Pros

Whether you’re part of a small software team or you’re integrated into a collection of agile teams at an enterprise software shop - Shortcut makes it easy and intuitive to manage the many integrated software projects of todays micro services oriented development style. We’ve found that Shortcut grew with us from 2 devs to 10 and we expect it to grow with us as we grow to 50.

Cons

Story management sometimes feels like a full time job, but at least Shortcut makes it a joy. For our open source projects we have a hard time integrating with issues on GitHub where public issues are generated, but for our private projects, the GitHub integration is lightweight and effective.

Does what you've always wanted out of Jira

Amazing!

Pros

Seems silly, but for me, it's the ability to create tasks under a ticket, and be able to convert those into tickets on their own. Jira did not have this, and still doesn't as far as I know, but wouldn't matter - Shortcut is simple to use, and ready to go out of the box.

Cons

Doesn't have the brand recognition, so hard to convince others that its the correct solution to use.