Timely Reviews

Timely

Automatic time tracking tool for individuals & teams

4.66/5 (202 reviews)

Pros
  • Main benefit of Timely is is the ease of use and how to get your time managed in a beneficial manner. I think Timely came up with a fantastic service that.Verified ReviewerRead the full review
  • Awesome app with a great user interface that's easy to use. Customer support was really helpful.Naor S.Read the full review
  • We are using this for internal meeting and we are receiving great output. Cost effective, easy to implement, manage and reporting is great.Navjot S.Read the full review
Cons
  • Also, I lost my billing from months ago, and I was easily able to go back and reprint it, dig through my tracker and see where I was missing stuff.Kirby C.Read the full review
  • The cost was a bit much for my needs as well. M willing to pay for something I'll use for projects that are not paid hourly, but the cost was a bit too high as it didn't really meet my needs.Denise S.Read the full review
  • My main issue with Timely is sometimes it freezes and lags which means I have to reload the page.Verified ReviewerRead the full review
recommended this to a friend or a colleague
Jennyffer Pfister

Timely is an essential tool for my translation business

Reviewed 2019-03-27

Pros
Working as a freelance translator, I needed a tool to plan my daily schedule and I came across Timely. It's the best planning tool I've found so far. At a single glance, I can know if my schedule for the week/day is already full or if I can keep accepting new assignments. I also started tracking the time I spent on each of my projects, which allowed me to realise just how little time I spent actually working because ultimately my day was full of distractions. Timely has allowed me not only to keep track of my ongoing and future projects, but also to optimize my work time and it does so beautifully: it is very easy to use and visually appealing. There are tons of extra features that I don't use, such as automatic time tracking and project budgeting, but it's still perfect for what I need. Couldn't work without it!

Cons
Maybe, just maybe, it's a little "too large" for my needs, so to keep things minimal, a plan with just the basic features would be welcome.

Rick Robinson-Donnellan

Revolutionary for Time capture

Reviewed 2019-12-23

As a business owner, it is fantastic to get accurate and 'timely' submitted time sheets from staff each and every week. For the user, once you find your preferred method of capture, it is a breeze from there in.

Pros
The best thing about Timely is that it lets you focus on your work first, time capture second. Traditionally within an organisation with time sheets you need to constantly keep on top of your time entries or it will snowball into a big mess by the end of the week. Timely allows you to just get on with things and perhaps at the end of the week, you just approve the timesheet pre-filled for you.

Cons
When I sign up my staff to the software it can be a little overwhelming to get your head around things, and some have had minor teething issues with the memory app tracking. Once they get going its full steam ahead.

Anonymous

Used Timely to record time worked and tasks completed

Reviewed 2018-06-26

Timely organizes time info visually very well.

Pros
I liked the way that Timely visually assembled information to be seen en mass. It made the ability to see quickly and easily where time opportunities were for our business.

Cons
Timely was not quite what we were looking for. It's a good program but ultimately we were unable to use it in tandem with other programs we were more committed to.

Likelihood to recommend: 5/10

Siger Smit

Lifesaver

Reviewed 2019-05-08

It saves me a lot of money because I track time I missed otherwise. And in that way it is more fun to do!

Pros
I really like the memory function. Some days you are so busy you forget about tracking time (and thus missing income). But with memory I can easily see what I have done, when I have done it and how much time I spend on it. Clear overview of spend budget within projects.

Cons
The reporting function could use a little more branding, now it's just a standard template.

mandy napier

moving on

Reviewed 2020-02-05

Pros
Easy and simple to use Good value......

Cons
The program didnt have enough functions for a gym/PT studio

Likelihood to recommend: 5/10

Brian Rowland, MSc, CDir

Timely is my go-to app to record my consulting and board hours

Reviewed 2017-12-30

Pros
I use Timely across 3 platforms - iPhone, iPad, Mac - and all work seamlessly to keep track of my billable (and unbillable) hours. The interfaces are simple to understand and to use, and I'm much more confident in my recorded time than with other methods I've used. I appreciate how hard the Timely team works to add features to the product, and the company is responsive to my questions.

Cons
I pay a monthly subscription fee for unlimited project/client time tracking, which is great for Timely and would be fine for a consultant / lawyer / business owner who has multiple clients or projects to bill to. Most times I only have 1 or 2 projects on the go at once, and I'd like to see a "light" monthly fee added. If you have billable and non-billable hours for a project/client, you have to set up 2 different projects in order to properly tabulate the hours and invoice amounts. Timely's "tag" feature doesn't really work to keep billable and non-billable hours distinct when it comes time to determine how much to bill the client.

Kirby Carol

I couldn't run my creative business without this

Reviewed 2019-02-20

I am making more money because I'm not losing those 15 minute client task hours anymore thanks to the memory tracker. Also, I lost my billing from months ago, and I was easily able to go back and reprint it, dig through my tracker and see where I was missing stuff. I'd lose out on more than $1,000 a month if I didn't have this feature.

Pros
I cannot describe how incredible it is. I am ADD and very creative. I have multiple clients and multiple contractors. The unique thing about timely is the memory tracker, which tracks my open windows, times, and even suggests clients. I never have to start and stop a clock anymore. At the end of the day, I pour a glass of wine and open the memory tracker, simply select the client, click save, and it takes me 3 minutes to MONETIZE my day! It's amazing. There are tons of other cool features, but this is my favorite one.

Cons
There is nothing not to like. I like it all.

Flavio Argemi

Best time tracking software I've ever used

Reviewed 2019-02-08

Using Timely has allowed us to better visualize our business as a whole, from a high-level project and scheduling perspective down to reporting and identifying the most profitable / desired type of work to pursue in business development.

Pros
Timely combines a simple, intuitive interface with smart back-end features to deliver the best time tracking solution, hands down. Having used a number of different time tracking apps I was incredibly happy to find Timely - it's user interface is beautiful, the tracking and reporting tools are simple and easy to use and the product team is continuously evolving the platform, adding new features and improving the system.

Cons
Minor glitches when saving changes, which rarely ever happen.

Jenny Medeiros

Free time tracking app

Reviewed 2018-12-28

Was having trouble with current time tracking apps that were either low on features or hard to look at. Timely brought a nice balance between functionality and design for scheduling my time and sticking to it.

Pros
As a freelancer, I rely on solid time-tracking to monitor my performance and give estimates for work, so naturally, I've used more apps than I can count. So far, Timely is my favorite. The UI, features, and glorious reports give it an extra edge over most apps I've used. You can plan out your weeks of work in advance and it displays as nicely colored blocks that you can drag and drop if you need to shuffle tasks around. (You can also choose a custom color for each block!) You can set an hourly rate for tasks or set a budget for a project and it'll tell you how much your hourly fee should be. I love how it integrates with my Google Calendar so I'm not going back and forth to see which calendar has what.

Cons
While I love the custom color feature, it would be great if Timely could automatically assign that color for future blocks with the same name. Another useful addition would be to move a future task to the current week without having to type it out all over again.

Anonymous

Timely Is Very Good To Use!

Used weekly for free trial
Reviewed 2019-12-10

Pros
Timely is a fantastic service to use. I love their way of management with their system and how they want their users to do the same with their personal lives. You can give yourself set limits on what yo do, such as a task for your home or even school work. You can keep track of the time that you spent on your task as well. I think services like this is especially great for parents of children should use, because not only will they benefit from it, but it will help manage time as well.

Cons
I used this as a trial, I didn't have any complains. Timely is very simple and good to use because it will keep everyone on time and guide everyone in the right direction on getting tasks finished.

Gunnar Borch

Very handy software for time tracking

Reviewed 2017-02-01

As a consultant supporting several projects, timely is a very easy to use and quick way to keep track on time spent on each activity. I have it on my PC, MAC and iPhone, and logging time is done in seconds. It synchronises instantly across platforms provided they are online. I also use Move on my iPhone and I really look forward to have these two functions come together shortly.

Pros
Easy to use and always available.

Cons
None so far.

Andy Gosling

Ideal time tracking software for my business

Reviewed 2019-03-25

I can’t imagine finding a better fit for me and the way I work. Timely makes time-tracking painless and effortless.

Pros
It’s quick to get up and running with Timely, entering clients and projects is a breeze. Being able to add a time or money budget is handy for those fixed-price projects – and Timely will send you notifications when you’ve reached a budget milestone (50 %, 80% and 100% of the allocated budget). An essential feature for me is being able to track my timings across different devices – if I need to work on a project at home, all my timings from work are synced. I can also log in to my timesheets via a web browser, should I need to. Creating reports at the end of the month when I need to do my invoicing is also a pleasure. Timely can export to Excel or PDF. I don’t use the “Memory” feature of Timely much, but it’s been very useful on those occasions that I’ve forgotten to start a timer and need to refer back to what I was doing during that period.

Cons
No significant cons spring to mind. Being able to save more project colours as defaults would be handy, as I use a single colour for each client (based on their brand colours) which means opening a previous project to copy the colour, and then pasting that in for the new project.

Kate Pociask

Things I Didn't Know When I Started Freelancing

Reviewed 2017-03-31

I started freelancing and had been tracking my hours on scratch paper and Notes files on my phone (it sounds so obviously stupid that I did that, but I hated time trackers from my agency days. I tended to forget to use them and then had to mentally reconstruct my days). It was making my life hectic. I put off invoicing until the last second because it was stressful and I felt guilty - like I had made my hours up. Even if I knew what client I did work for, I almost never remembered to write down what I did. Timely has tools built in to help me remember to track hours, to remember what I worked on, even days later. I also volunteer and hadn't been tracking my non-billable time until Timely. Now I can see how I'm splitting my days. It's made me a better estimator for future work; I never see my own estimates and think "wow, that's way too high a number. I should lower that," because now I have it documented, including the stuff I forget to factor in, like meetings and emails. I recommend this to everyone, especially visual people. It looks just like a calendar interface so there's very little learning curve. Timely is beautiful, easy, and --dare I say it -- rewarding to use.

Pros
The visual, colorful, easy to use interface. The integration with Rescue Time, which helps me remember what I did.

Cons
None. I work in UI/UX and I have no constructive crtiticism for Timely. Well done.

Elizabeth Noonan

Perfect for entrepreneurs

Reviewed 2019-02-25

Timely has provided me with a simple and professional tool for tracking time that is cost effective and efficient. I don't need to spend a lot of time preparing back up for invoices because Timely produces a professional report that is flexible enough to be adapted to the needs of each client. It saves me so much time and is a great value for the money.

Pros
Timely is so easy to use and very intuitive. It is so simple to set up new clients and projects and the connection to my calendar is great. My favorite feature is the reporting function that creates professional looking billing summaries that support invoicing. (I continue to use the old reporting format as that works best for me). One unexpected benefit is how much it has helped me track how I'm using my time. Having the dashboard visual that shows how my hours have been allocated and when has been very helpful for time management.

Cons
It's so minor but the range in colors for projects is pretty limited.

Lauren Abelow

Timely is the best thing to happen to our business!

Reviewed 2018-11-19

As a medical office, we use medical documentation software so we can appropriately document and bill for services. However, when we started selling retail wellness products and offering other wellness services, using our EMR was much too cumbersome to keep track of these things - we didn't want to have to set up a whole case for someone who just came in to buy a set of weights, and most of the things that Timely does fell on me - keeping track of inventory, tracking used visits against packages, etc. When I found Timely, it almost seemed too good to be true. Other software would track inventory, but not packages. Timely not only did everything I wanted and more, but it's a user-friendly software. Very intuitive. It was easy to train my staff on the system and has taken a lot off my plate.

Pros
Timely tracks product inventory, package purchases, has a scheduling module, reports for sales and many other things, a place to write notes associated with each visit, and is simply easy to use.

Cons
The ONLY thing I'd say is that I wish if I entered a client twice, it would warn me before creating the client a second time. The good thing is that there is an option to merge customers if you realize you did create someone more than once.

Brianna D. Reising

Timely helps organize my freelance time

Reviewed 2019-03-31

Being in a full-time position where I track my time, I needed something different for my freelance projects. Timely solves that for me and gives me a solution where I can keep my day job and freelance separate.

Pros
I like planning my time toward multiple freelance by day and project, but love I can adjust time if things change. It really helps me keep track in all of the time and resources I put toward a project. I like the ability to pull reports, seeing how much time/money was planned vs. actually accrued.

Cons
There isn't anything that I least liked. I have used customer service once in my three years of using the service and it was pretty decent,

Likelihood to recommend: 8/10

Work Efficiently

Reviewed 2018-11-01

Pros
There are days when I need to focus on a specific project or task and it’s very difficult not to get distracted. There are other days when I need to multi-task and juggle everything due to time and deadlines. This is why I decided to invest in a time tracking software to see how much time I spend working on specific tasks. I found Timely online and it’s phenomenal. I get this neat software to teach me to be more productive with the work I do. It has other features, but I mainly use it for this service and it has been great.

Cons
My main issue with Timely is sometimes it freezes and lags which means I have to reload the page. It doesn’t happen too often and thank God for that, otherwise I won’t get the accurate time I spend on my tasks.

Espen Sæverud

Mr

Reviewed 2017-05-11

Pros
Timely has a nice and modern interface with all the bells and whistles one has come to expect from high end services. This service is what all the others should have been. Hopeful, more integrations will be implemented so that mass adoption can start. * Planning is a very useful feature that I have not seen in other similar services. * The ability to easily create projects; set budgets, hourly rates and so on is nice.

Cons
Windows(desktop Memory) and Android(App) does not seem to be prioritized as much as their OSX and iOS counterparts. This causes some frustration for me as I can see features arrive for the Apple products, but I have to wait 6 months until the Windows/Android equivalent.

Brian Rowland

Really loving Timely on all of my Apple devices

Reviewed 2017-04-05

I've been a Timely user for a couple of years now, and the product has matured nicely. It has loads of features to help me keep track of work I'm doing for different clients, and the reporting feature makes end-of-month invoicing pretty painless. I use Timely on my iPhone, iPad and MacBook, and everything transfers from one device to the other seamlessly. A great product! I highly recommend it!

Pros
Extremely easy to use across different devices. Customer support is great on the few times I've needed it.

Cons
I don't dislike anything. The company is good about bringing out new features, which I appreciate. Keep evolving the product!

Olli Nute

Timely app

Reviewed 2019-03-04

Timely has helped track timing of projects which has helped quote for new projects. From scheduling and pricing jobs it has be a pleasure using it and has become a key tool for us to use each and every day. Great interface that works great on mobile - on the go and always easy to reference any data or information you require.

Pros
Great interface and ease of use, it has become a really key tool for us for time tracking and scheduling work from start to finish.

Cons
Not many, all I would say now and again updates are released I would just like to see more quicker!

Chelsea Suriano

Best Time Tracker for Freelancers

Reviewed 2019-04-23

Whenever I have had issues, it has always been handled almost immediately, the customer service is stellar and the AI feature is the best addition. It has made my life so much easier!

Pros
I love the ability to review the memories of work I have completed, I have easily increased my billable hours by 20% because I'm not guessing or estimating the time I spent on certain tasks. My clients love the timesheet reports, and I love how easy it is to use!

Cons
That I didn't find it sooner! The only problem I have had is that my timesheet details when shared do not share the worked to-from times, but that is easily corrected by exporting to a pdf instead, it just doesn't look as pretty.

Anonymous

Great option for small enterprises and independent workers

Reviewed 2019-04-01

Super satisfied with it. As a freelancer this my preferred software for time / budget tracking.

Pros
The simplest of its features is one I love the most: the fact that your timer can count money and not just hours/minutes/seconds. As you start a new project you define a budget and an hourly rate and that's it. The reports you can export are cool. And obviously it's new intelligent features are awesome. With a few tweaks, you connect your timely account to the software you work on usually, so it automatically tracks time by software / project.

Cons
Honestly, just the fact it became a paid software. It was free in the old days and it was great!

Jim Fielden

An all round great product thats really helped my admin and billing.

Reviewed 2017-01-20

I have been using Timely for years now, and its completely transformed my billing and process. When I first started to use it, i was a freelancer, so found it extremely useful to log the precise timings of the varied jobs I had to work on throughout a day. Now I look after a team and spend much more time on Skype and in email and such, which is harder to bill. However with the introduction of the new day planner and connected apps, I plugged in Rescuetime and Trello. Now and a don't miss a single task during the day. Timely is the first app I open in the morning. Great work guys. Keep it up!

Alex Doffing

Integral to my freelance process

Reviewed 2017-03-13

I use this all day every day. It has not only allowed me to help keep an accurate record of my freelance hours , but it is pretty and satisfying to use. Seeing my custom color palette blocks grow along with the weekly balance is the progress I need to keep going. There are times when it can be slightly glitchy (I use it on Chrome), but nothing a simple refresh can't handle. Also, the continuing updates and upgrades are only increasing how seamlessly this is integrated into my workflow.

Pros
The colors (I wish I could set my own standard palette, tho!); the balance up top, the flexibility

Cons
Sometimes it glitches and doesn't save my changes. I wish I could set a budget for a project and when it runs out, no more is added to my balance (because that's how my flat rate projects work in real life -- even though it is useful to know how long I have worked over my budget)

Waqar Mughal

This helps me keep track of all my hours at different rates for all my contracts

Reviewed 2017-06-14

Ease of billing my clients accurately, hours of work and what was done for each period.

Pros
Organizing hours by client, contract; exporting to excel; ease of use; able to use across ALL my devices; accessible from anywhere.

Cons
Filtering for specific contracts in the reporting environment is a little clunky - not easy to select just one contract as the window disappears and you have to reselect it to get in and pick the e-contract of interest.