Buildium Logo

Suggested alternatives

yardi-breeze
rent-manager
innago

Buildium has great people backing it up. Everyone I have spoken to from implementation to customer service requests has been very knowledgeable and helpful.
Our clients like the reports better than a previous software we used. Customer service and online help are outstanding.
Overall, this is an excellent product at a great value. Customer support is very responsive.
I have a problem with one tenant payment and I didn’t pay for their support, so that made it more difficult.
Then my tenants started complaining because they could not pay via the site!!! Ugghhhh!!!! Plus, there is no way to see who had been emailed, what has been collected, etc.
I would be worried about the level of service if even the sales people don’t call you back when you are a prospective client.

2,033 reviews

PS

Peter S.

Principal

Highly reccomend Buildium

Transcript

Peter: Hi, I'm Peter. I'm a principal with my real estate company. I give Buildium a four out of five...

Keenan C.

Accountant

The Best PM Software Solution

Transcript

Keenan C.: Hi. My name is Keenan, and I'm an operations manager, and I would give Buildium a five out...

Siddhartha H.

Accounting, 51-200 employees

Best property management assistant!

Buildium has helped to share the Rental Owner Statement with the clients, by directly providing them access to it, which allows them to view their rental income details. This software doesn't have much complications as compared to other Property Management software.

Pros

1. Buildium is the one of the best software for Rental and property management accounting 2. It is fast and reliable. 3. It enables convenient emailing.

Cons

There are very less limitations to Buildium, it just sometimes, seems quite time consuming.

PL

Patricia Lynn F.

Real Estate, 1-10 employees

Buildium makes my work life easier

The overall experience has been very easy because we had so much customer service assistance. The switch has been a lot easier than we thought. We’re going on a year now and we couldn’t be happier. This is our first tax accounting season using the Buildium program from what I heard it’s been very easy to do

Pros

I work with maintenance daily and I love how easy it is for me to use for all aspects of maintenance from work orders to vendor payments. I love being able to track tenants payments in real time and explain to them if and Why something is the way it is without having to pull out files and do a lot of intense research because it’s all right in front of you. I like being able to look up vendors payments, and total cost of repairs for certain jobs. I also like the ease of billing tenants for their repairs and adding to the lease ledger. I enjoy our office staff can all see what’s going on with the repair over the tenant with ease.

Cons

I don’t know that much about the accounting aspect, which I blame myself for. I need to take some buildium academy accounting classes as I really don’t work that much on that end of the business.

Hi Patricia Lynn, Thank you so much for your review. Seeing that Buildium is helping you so much is super-satisfying. Definitely check out Buildium Academy when you've got the time, because it's got some thorough accounting lessons. I hope Buildium is helping make your first tax season with us quick and easy. Cheers, Charlie

JL

JASON L.

Design, 51-200 employees

Is Buildium GOING OUT OF BUSINESS?

Is Buildium GOING OUT OF BUSINESS?

Pros

None at the moment. I am appalled with the company at the moment after using the system for 5 years.

Cons

Is Buildium GOING OUT OF BUSINESS? Is anyone else having trouble getting hold of a human being at Buildium?!?!?!?!? I was on hold for 5 hours yesterday! Till the system disconnected me. No customer service agents available. I called the sales department and immediately a human answered. They were very nice but had no way of transferring my call to anywhere else in the company, not even a manger....

Hi there, Thanks for taking the time to leave us your honest feedback. I understand that you and our Customer Care Team Lead, Seth, have worked through any issues you've encountered. We're happy to report we've grown our customer care team, and you should no longer be experiencing wait times as you had previously. Thanks again for taking the time to leave this review. The Buildium Team

KK

Kolton K.

Real Estate, 1-10 employees

Great product with incredible customer service

Overall, the service has well exceeded my expectations!

Pros

The customer service is one of the best parts of Buildium.

Cons

There is no way to track effectively the unit turnover process

Thanks for your review, Kolton. We're happy customer care has been a great resource for you!

Kim B.

Religious Institutions, 1-10 employees

Buildium is a fabulous choice for any in the property management biz

We've been using Buildium for a couple of years now and are very satisfied with it.

Pros

I like the clarity of the way the information is set up and ease of use. Having the Buildium Academy to train is a HUGE bonus.

Cons

I have issues with one area, and that is with the deposit disposition when leaving, but part of that is my fault.

Emmett K.

Great Software!!!

We are able to get much better organized, be on top of things.

Pros

It is a pure property management software. It has one thing in mind...managing real estate.

Cons

The financial angle is not great. If you know the work arounds, it is OK. It also does not have a sales tax component like HST or GST in Canada.

le

luis e.

best program ever

Pros

the program is very easy to use and extremely helpful

Cons

the app is a little finicky and doesnt work very well.

Thank you, Luis! We're glad you decided to choose Buildium.

TH

Ty H.

Great Online Tenant Portal and Property Management Software

Pros

Accepting payments from tenants and the online tenant portal is very easy to use and onboard our residents.

Cons

The accounting is convoluted and complicated. You have to learn a lot of the terminology and its really build like a supertool for accounting

Thanks for the review, Ty! Be sure to check out Buildium Academy for more detail on navigating the robust accounting features we offer.

Real Estate Property Management

Pros

Buildium offers an array of features to help with property management and its interface is very user friendly. To go on, if you make any errors while using this software it can be easily fixed. As well, accounting is very easy to manage and seamless. Lastly, the customer services is very prompt and helpful.

Cons

Buildium is missing a few features that would be desired. One feature is connecting bank account transactions to the actual accounting software for expenses. The other feature that is missing is a payroll feature for salaried employees.

AG

Andrew G.

Management Consulting, 1-10 employees

Great program! Extremely user friendly and easy to use.

The overall experience was a great one so far. Just scratching the service as we went live this past month but anticipate the portal making our jobs a lot easier as we get more familiarized with it.

Pros

The ease of accessibility and the ability to navigate through the portal without any prior training and get to where I needed to be with little or no difficulty. A much better program than the last one our company was on.

Cons

The portal does not come with a personal Keurig! :)

Thanks for your review, Andrew! While we can't help with adding a Keurig, we do appreciate your kind words! - Charlie

DP

Diane P.

Buildium Builds Confidence in Our Owners and Tenants

I have come to rely on Buildium always being there when I need to enter information into the system or to generate a report or look up a transaction. I can't remember ever having a time when the system was down or not available. Not having to worry about this gives me peace of mind, and in a sometimes hectic environment, this is important. Buildium is dependable.

Pros

I use Buildium daily and rely on it to enter information that will be used to generate monthly and annual reports. The finished product is easy to read and looks very professional. Our owners know they are in good hands when they can easily see where there money is spent and feel confident that we are protecting their investment. For our tenants, they really like being able to pay their rent on line, saving them time and money. If I have an issue that needs to be resolved, I know I can count on Buildium's customer service department to answer my questions quickly and accurately.

Cons

I understand how this software works now because I have been using it for the past several years, however, there was a little bit of a learning curve. Because I know the limitations of Buildium and how to get around them, there is less and less that I don't like about the software.

Diane, Thank you so much for taking the time to leave this review. We know what a tough job property management can be, and we're so happy that we can help bring you peace-of-mind! We appreciate you as a loyal customer! Best, The Buildium Team

RB

Ryan B.

Opt for Monthly over Yearly at discounted rate

Benefits realized would be never opting to save 10% for a yearly contract when a company fails to stand behind their product. As a property manager my success mainly relies on tenants being happy with their situation I'm always perplexed when I deal with vendors that don't share that same idea.

Pros

The added features and collaborations with other products such as Happy Co. Inspector and other features were a huge selling point.

Cons

On-boarding process was horrible, were given two options but the options we choose meant we never truly implemented the software, constantly we were pushed back month after month without being operational except for two properties. Balance and accounting sheet were never resolved. Repeatedly postponed and after months of not having the software work as suggested it would asked to be reimbursed for...

DC

Dustin C.

Hospitality, 1-10 employees

Will never use another program

Buildium had always been the go to for me. It's user friendly for staff and extremely user friendly for my residents and older residents that aren't as technologically inclined. Anyone can use it. And when my older residents are confused they can call the hotline and get customer services from the team rather than calling is office during off hpurs.

Pros

The ease of importing all of our data and getting everything set up specifically for our hoa property. Everything we needed and none of the rental stuff we didn't. The team assisting us in seeing up the system has been incredible.

Cons

There is nothing I dislike. I would love to have the ability to shower multiple chargers on statements for dues and assessment and have those both track. But the team has shown me a way we can do that until the update team has created that ability.

TF

Tim F.

Real Estate, 1-10 employees

Great product for property management

Buildium has been great for property management. Online applications/background checks, epay, and the resident portal have proven to be daily uses in our business. 10 out of 10 would recommend.

Pros

epay. It's worth it for that. To be able to get paid online seemlessly is great. Communication being automated around payment is wonderful, too -- specifically, the lease ledger, automating late fees, and payment reminders.

Cons

We list properties for rent that do not have bed/baths on them - specifically, RV pad sites and commercial lots. Buildium does not allow us to list properties without the bed/bath requirement. This becomes confusing to prospective tenants when these listings are on our website and published elsewhere.

DR

Donald R.

Buildium is Fantastic

Buildium has given us the tools to streamline our processes and make daily tasks easy. The online software makes it accessible no matter where the staff are located so that work orders, rent input, communications, etc. can be handled in real-time and on the spot. Everything from leases to lease renewals, maintenance requests to inspections are all in one spot, easily accessible. No more paper files to thumb through. The administration of property management has never been such a breeze.

Pros

As an accountant, the accounting features are awesome. Online payments make tracking incoming rents easier since there is less leg work. You can setup priorities on how payments are applied. The program is easy to use and to navigate. Buildium provides tutorials that are great training tools for new and even experienced users. Buildium was easy to setup and integrate into our company.

Cons

I have yet to find any complaints with Buildium's program. There are continuing to improve and add features on a quarterly basis. There were no issues switching to this software from our previous system.

CS

Cynthia S.

Real Estate, 1-10 employees

Glad we use this system!

Rents are collected faster and easier. Especially now that fuel prices have risen, and we use a Post Office Box for our Business, this eliminates frequent trips to the Post Office to get rents. AND, the software tracks it all! In fact, we charge the residents who opt OUT of our Portal a fee when we have to process their paper payments (trip to the Post Office, bring back to office, trip to the bank).

Pros

Residents can pay their rent and management billed utilities on line. Even those residents who are not computer savy, we can set up their payments for them (with their written permission, of course).

Cons

Sometimes I feel the techs who write the instructions forget that not everyone is computer savy, so it takes time for the average user of the product some time to figure it out.

Hi Cynthia, Thanks for submitting this review. I'm glad to see that we're not only saving you time, but money as well! - Charlie W

TZ

Tony Z.

Poor Website

Software it great, easy to use and navigate. Website is not great and limited in customizing or changing.

Pros

Easy of use from the user end. What I like about the company is the always are trying to improve in areas that need it.

Cons

I don't like the website. It looks old and not professional. Other software companies allow the use the ability to have a website made for them for a cost and buildium does not. As my company has grown it would be nice to show how we are professional and a good management company with a modern more professional website.

Thanks for such a thorough and thoughtful review! We love to see that you are finding the software easy to both use and navigate. Did you know that our new Buildium Marketplace now has an integration with goodjuju, a service that can build you a modern website complete with SEO optimization, mobile-ready designs, and more? To learn more about goodjuju as well as many other partnerships, sign into your Buildium account and go to Integrations > Marketplace. Hope that helps! - Charlie

JM

Jackie M.

Real Estate, 1-10 employees

Customer service used to be great.

While using the mass email function to send owner reports I've had multiple issues with the system not recognizing owner email addresses. I've called customer service and emailed and still have no resolution. The first 1 1/2 I was with Buildium were fantastic. Customer service was helpful and always had the right answer. About a year ago something changed and calls to customer service no longer produce results. I'm considering switching to a new program.

Pros

I like the ease of use, little training is needed to make full use of the system.

Cons

The owner portal isn't as easy to use as expected.

Hi Jackie, Thank you for your review. We are always working to invest in the software and the people that support it. Stay tuned! - Charlie W

Kari B.

Buildium is Easy to Use- always

I train multiple users of Buildium to use it, help fix issues as they occur. Buildium makes it very easy to do and explain. I use it everyday doing the books in full for several accounts. I never cringe when investigating accounts for other peoples' errors because Buildium is so clear.

Pros

*Ease of use cannot be overstated *Screen aren't overly "busy" and the fonts are easily read, layout is obvious *Accuracy and flexibility to make all accounting coherent and easy to explain to brokers/owners *Reports generate quickly and while viewable on the screen can zero in on specific transactions, with interactive links *Ability to email individual reports or export in a variety of printing styles *Bank reconciliation and tie-out cash to properties and owners and company is simple *Communications have improved a lot in the past year - SMS tracking communication with tenants is much better. * banking window is AWESOME Being able to select by property and dates... Wonderful!!

Cons

*Reporting fails - prints two pages when unnecessary, waste of paper, most people want one pagers - inability to email all owners their statements to each owner all at once. Can email individual reports only. Can't select properties on the fly- have to create a printing Group first. *Email addresses in owner and tenant records still tried to jump outside of Buildium instead of taking you to a simplified email interface within for tracked communications. Sometimes it's a little clunky navigating back and forth to common areas like between lease and property *Inability to produce a Invoice to the owner for reimbursing the broker/property manager or other vendors as needed. Owner statement doesn't reflect bills for the property entered but not yet paid.

KH

Karen H.

Nonprofit Organization Management, self-employed

Best investment of our HOA

Bookkeeping and reports are easy to enter and pull. Reconciliations are flawless. When I figured out that we could save documents/invoices by entering all outgoing payments as bills first, it was GREAT! The approval process is really good for checks and balances in our management of the community. One of the issues that I believe will be solved in the next 10 years is that some of our most elderly...

Pros

Buildium has been great for our resident managed HOA. We did a thorough vetting job in choosing our management software, and it has lived up to what we hoped for. The books are right there, and we can allow anyone to see all that is going on at any time. Board members and volunteers have different levels of access, and that has made it easy for reporting. Resident portals are great, and the communication is easy.

Cons

Size of documents/invoices you can is smaller than needed, so I often have to split documents into parts which is annoying. The email took doesn't allow cut and paste of a pdf into the body of text. I always have to send our newsletter as an attachment. Sometimes q & a does not answer my questions for simple things -- such as, I misspelled the name of a new owner, and it took me 30 minutes to figure out how to correct, because there was no answer provided in q & a. My biggest "complaint" would be that this is rental focused in some regard, and we have no tenants. We only have owners, and residents sometimes tell us they are confused by the things that say "tenants" or refer to rentals.

KS

Katie S.

Property Management Software - works very well for non accounting backgrounds

Automation is HUGE! online payment is HUGE! It's connecting my tenant/client requests with my staff and subsequently my vendors - less mess to sort through!

Pros

I don't have to have a degree in accounting, between features, FAQ's and support, I've always been able to resolve issues. Love that it streamlines my processes into one central place and that I have a good overall place for myself, my assistant, my clients and tenants to look at things. Love online payments and ability to pay out to owners and vendors online as well! Software has fantastic capability to shift easily with the changing needs of business (growth or even if we were to pull back a bit - affordable and seamless transition!)

Cons

The vendor/owner portals are difficult and messy. Also, my vendors can see ALL work orders, not just their own for a property they have access to. They have to go under maintenance just to find work orders (not intuitive). Would be awesome if they could just reply to the emails the system sends and have those replies/files be uploaded as communication on the work order. Loading pictures is ok but...

CR

Charles R.

Real Estate, 1-10 employees

A great choice for property rentals (with a few limits)

Overall, I am very happy that I've made the switch to Buildium. While there was a small learning curve (as expected), the training we received was excellent. While there are a few limitations to the software for my business model, it works and we've been able to adapt our processes easily to fit Buildium's work flow. As with any accounting software package, it may not be able to do everything your business requires, but it does work and it does work well.

Pros

All in all, this software works great, and is very stable. The process flow is intuitive and simple, but as with every software, has it own unique quirks. Once you get the process flow down, it does pretty much everything you could want a property rental software to do. This software is more directed at either individual landlords, or property rental companies who rent other people's property....

Cons

From my customer's perspective, there are two main short comings of the software package. The first is the mobile app -- I'm told its slow and clunky to use. The general consensus of my customers is the web portal is superior and much easier to use. The second is the length of time a financial transaction takes. The transaction time for a credit card payment is typically end of day or next business...

Hi Charles, Thanks for writing your honest review! We're glad that you're having a great experience, and that you're happy with the training you received. It's clear that data for reporting is important to you. We are always working on ways to improve upon our reports, and we could always use feedback on how they can be more useful. You can submit a feature request through the Help & Support menu in your Buildium account. - Charlie W

PJ

Pamela J.

Real Estate, self-employed

We have been using Buildium for just over two years now and I could not love it more!

I had been using a DOS based management program for nearly 20 years and had to go online due to the changes in technology. It was a very stressful time trying to find a program that could do what we needed and was affordable and that I could manage on my own. Buildium has been the answer. We LOVE the online payment option for our tenants and landlord. We LOVE all the reports and the way the accounting process is set up. Most of all, we LOVE the excellent customer support we recieve from the Buildium team. The whole experience has been outstanding.

Pros

The customer service is OUTSTANDING! There is no way to be able to solve all the problems of transitioning to a new program on your own; I tried that with another program, using the excellent documentation they had provided but was never able to overcome some of the posting problems I encountered. I ended up frustrated and stressed out from being unable to understand how the program wanted me to do...

Cons

The ONLY thing I can think of that I don't like about this program is that one of the report sorts I use is done by the owner first name, instead of last name and the security depsoit breakdown report is done by Owner name, instead of the Tenant Name. Other than that, I can not think of a single thing to complain about. It is a great company!

Hi Pamela, Thank you for leaving your review. Your opinion is invaluable to us and we're so pleased to hear about your positive experience with Buildium! Best, Elizabeth Gill Senior Customer Marketing Manager

Alondra N.

ONE OF THE BEST PM SOFTWARES OUT THERE! Easily 4.7 out of 5 ⭐

Overall, I would say since day 1 of using Buildium I was easily able to navigate through it and udnerstand where everything was. I would say this has been one of the most user friendly tools I have worked with, so if you're looking for a user friendly platform this is it! There's also a ton of features and a lot of ways for one PM company to use this collaboratively which only adds points to it. I've had a really good experience with Buildium, with their support and I can comfortably say I would reccomend them :)

Pros

I mainly work with application processing and screening, as well as applicant/prospect communication. I've experienced other softwares where it's super difficult to track stages or completion of certain "checkpoints" but with Buildium it's super easy! You can customize checlists on the application to easily keep track of what needs to be done and also so your team can easily view the current status. Another great bonus point is the screenings are very thorough and are ready within minutes of requesting them and overall the platform is super user firnedly, all information has a place and I find it really easy to operate.

Cons

Overall I really don't have any major issues with the platform, my only one is the security measure it has in place sometimes while running payments with the same payment method. If it happens to be that 2 applicants submitted a payment with the same card, it requires a small buffer time between each application payment being processed. It's not really a big deal but I'm big on having my "flow-state" so it just kills my vibe sometimes a litte bit, but outside of that I believe strongly that Buildium is a tool that is constantly maintained and updated and there's no major flows to its functionality!

Alondra, you're making our day over here at the Buildium office. Thanks for such a thoughtful review! - Charlie

WH

Wayne H.

Facilities Services, 1-10 employees

Great value in a property management Swiss Army Knife

I would say that Buildium has turned what was a loathed but necessary process into one that is 95% smooth and enjoyable. The ease of calling up specific internal Reports and making them available to appropriate audiences is a breeze, and it's accomplished with visual touches that add a lot of professionalism to the presentation. For those who are not familiar with it, your stock will go up as people will be amazed at how fast you can provide relevant responses. Inquiries that used to take weeks to wend their way through a CPA and his staff, can now be generated in five minutes and sent back to the inquirer. We have cut our external accounting costs significantly by doing internally what used to be sent out for routine addressing...knowledge is power.

Pros

It is a comprehensive set of tools that can handle, to a greater or lesser extent, whatever you throw at it. I would not dream of managing the property I do if it meant returning to the former ad hoc, cobbled together process. Buildium shows the net benefit of having an integrated, systematic handler that does not require having to trouble shoot different resource modules or integrate app functionality, the things that can drive you to distraction instead of providing efficiencies. It is obviously a tool that has had thoughtful design at its core, with ongoing updates and expansion of functionality as feedback on it is digested.

Cons

The thing that makes Buildium so good is the thing that trips it up, at least a bit, in making it compliant and compatible in accounting function. As software, it was, by far, the best integrated accounting tool that was part of a larger management tool. But because it is not specific to accounting, we had to do a rain dance for awhile to bring it and our accounting firm's approach into cohabitation....

Thank you so much for such a thoughtful and thorough review, Wayne. The fact that Buildium is making things more enjoyable is supremely gratifying to know.