Buildium Reviews

Pros

Overall, this is an excellent product at a great value. Customer support is very responsive.

DJ

Diana J.

We have loved being users of Buildium and have continue for almost 10 years. The value, quality, and efficiency it adds to our business is truly worth its subscription price.

MG

Mary G.

The ability to communicate with property owners on P/L and income reports is awesome. I currently do not work in the property management field, but would recommend this product to those that do.

LF

Lanna F.

Cons

The sales team is extremely unprofessional, misrepresenting the effort of implementation, features that work or not.

PS

Philip S.

Then my tenants started complaining because they could not pay via the site!!! Ugghhhh!!!! Plus, there is no way to see who had been emailed, what has been collected, etc.

CP

Cari P.

I would be worried about the level of service if even the sales people don’t call you back when you are a prospective client.

TH

Teddy H.

1,065

1,665 reviews

The Best PM Software Solution

Transcript

Keenan C.: Hi. My name is Keenan, and I'm an operations manager, and I would give Buildium a five out...

We deferred the decision to adopt Buildium for 10 years too long

Our biggest challenge was gathering all of our data as it was stored in numerous systems. Buildium's deployment staff was excellent in helping us to get off the ground. We were live within 30 days of starting and have continued to add functionality throughout the year.

Pros

We have been live for just over a year now. We use the applications, electronic rent collection (epay), accounting, Resident Center, and task tracking (maintenance) features of Buildium. Their automation has saved us so much time and money.

Cons

Wishlist rather than cons as the system is very good: 1) multiple applications would be good based on the type of property rather than being limited to just 1 application, 2) the ability to move a tenant out and move a new tenant in on the same day, 3) better tenant communications (emailing and messaging) above and beyond what is built-in, we adopted Follow-up Boss for this, 4) API should be open to Zapier

The Best PM Software Solution

We have enlarged our client base with Buildium's features thanks to their focus on speed and accuracy with payments, reporting, and accounting ease.

Pros

Online payments are a game-changer. Owner/tenant/HOA access allows each respective person the ability to view important reports and property status in real-time. The property database is completely searchable from anywhere on the site.

Cons

The task feature is a bit wanting. It's good for what it is, but dedicated project management or to-do list applications work just as well or better in most cases.

Great and Easy Product

I still keep recommending this to new clients. This is great for full use property management. With rental owners, I only use the tenant side of things. As a bookkeeper, quickbooks is a much faster way of the day to day finances. Balance sheet accts in buildium don't have the features you need to track properly for assets and liabilities. Just track the tenants and journal entry in the activity at month end into quickbooks. It's easy and perfect. Buildium reports help.

Pros

From uploading properties and tenants to everyday use, this software is great. Tracking tenants, maintenance and bank accounts are easy.

Cons

There are some behind the scenes programming that could make this run smoother and quicker for the user. A quicker way to add one time tenant charges would be nice. Too many clicks to get it done, especially if you have multiple tenants you need to add charges too.

This reviewer only left a rating

We've been using Buildium for about 2 years, long enough to get a good feel for its strengths and weaknesses. My overall impression is that this is a good product for small to medium size residential property management firms (10-100 units). If you have fewer than 10, this product is overkill. If more than 100, you'll probably find it too simplistic. The product is geared to residential properties...

A Good program getting better

A much better system than using multiple programs for individual aspects. Very geared toward rental management and Condos or HOAs seem after-thoughts often.

Pros

The ability for Boards to interact with management and for owners to be easily communicated with are some of the best features with this program. It's mostly all integrated!

Cons

Updates are usually bumpy when implemented, causing a slow down in service. Some features, which seem to be common sense are still in development stages. Tracking of tasks in infancy yet. Can send emails but not receive them through the system, causing us to still have to use another program.

Buildium is Fantastic

Buildium has given us the tools to streamline our processes and make daily tasks easy. The online software makes it accessible no matter where the staff are located so that work orders, rent input, communications, etc. can be handled in real-time and on the spot. Everything from leases to lease renewals, maintenance requests to inspections are all in one spot, easily accessible. No more paper files to thumb through. The administration of property management has never been such a breeze.

Pros

As an accountant, the accounting features are awesome. Online payments make tracking incoming rents easier since there is less leg work. You can setup priorities on how payments are applied. The program is easy to use and to navigate. Buildium provides tutorials that are great training tools for new and even experienced users. Buildium was easy to setup and integrate into our company.

Cons

I have yet to find any complaints with Buildium's program. There are continuing to improve and add features on a quarterly basis. There were no issues switching to this software from our previous system.

Buildium, it works great!

Set up is fast and that was important because you can't just stop running the business to take the time to set up a software system. It simplified my bookkeeping to such an extent that I now have considerably more time to devote to the business.

Pros

It only took me 2 days part-time to lean how to use this software. While I normally really LOVE a printed User Manual (I'm old-school), the online Help available is very extensive and showed me what to do in every situation, so far. Setting up Properties, Owners, Leases and Tenants is remarkably simple and almost intuitive. Nicely done.

Cons

When I get the message (all the time) that says that an entry cannot be changed, I have to go to the original bill, deposit, etc. There needs to be a button that takes me there directly without having to go hunt for it.

Buildium for community management

Building representatives are knowledgeable and helpful and again are good at finding workarounds. Software/ program designer would benefit from having consultants that actually work in the industry of community association management if this is a direction the software is to be marketed.

Pros

Communication is good for the most part. Support is knowledgeable and is often able to figure work around for the program shortcomings. In general the software is easy to use

Cons

Primarily designed for rentals the program falls short for community management and documentation compliant with Florida statutes. Customizing reports to meet standards is not an offered option. Build them app list s by resident name not address. This makes it impossible and a logical to use for covenant inspections or property notations as a manager would have to have every single resident memorized for all communities/ properties. Therefore the software is useless in the community management industry.

Austgen Review

My overall experience is good but myself and my staff dread sending a work order for support because it takes forever to get issues resolved.

Pros

Very user friendly, has great reporting features and tracking capability.

Cons

The amount of time it takes to get answers from Buildium Support.

Real Estate Property Management

Pros

Buildium offers an array of features to help with property management and its interface is very user friendly. To go on, if you make any errors while using this software it can be easily fixed. As well, accounting is very easy to manage and seamless. Lastly, the customer services is very prompt and helpful.

Cons

Buildium is missing a few features that would be desired. One feature is connecting bank account transactions to the actual accounting software for expenses. The other feature that is missing is a payroll feature for salaried employees.

Outstanding Property Management Tool for Self-run Properties

I look like a savant for bringing the board's attention to this product, doing the heavy lifting to convince them to self-manage and standing it up in a reasonable period of time. I had ZERO previous experience in either accounting or property management and would not attempt this without Buildium at this point.

Pros

We did an extensive search of property management/accounting tools when we transitioned from a CPA service. Our reason was it took too much time to get feedback on issues relating to expenses/revenue and overall friction in the system when requesting a third party to supply data. Buildium has allowed us non-accountants to track expenses and service requests, banking issues, assessment cash flow better...

Cons

Our biggest impediment to implementation was our previous CPA's chart of accounts, allocations etc. did not translate seamlessly into Buildium. Accounting is an art, not a science, and there are different ways to account for processes that we found were a bit tricky to figure out. With Buildium live support (very helpful) plus our contract hiring of a Buildium savvy accountant, we were able to cross the goal in a reasonable time. We continue to use the Buildium pro for quarterly reconciliation just as a way to show independent accounting input, but it is not necessary at this time if we chose not to continue.

Mostly Happy with Our Choice to use Buildium

It has been a good change for our business from where we were a year ago -- still tracking rental information in excel spreadsheets. I am the one who uses it daily, but the others in the business that need to pull information from time to time find it easy to use and that it has the reports they are looking to find. It definitely has helped us save time on some things. However, some of the shortcomings described in my explanation of things least liked add back time. I'm hoping in participating in this and voicing my feedback to the reps that I'll see my suggestions used to improve things in the future.

Pros

I had used the software at another company and thought it would work well at my current job. I really appreciated the customer service from my past experience. I have had only one less than favorable experience with the customer service received in my years of using Buildium. I like how easy it is for our tenants to use and navigate. It has encouraged most of them to pay online which is a huge time saver for me.

Cons

Since we do commercial leasing and not residential, there are some misses in my opinion. I'd say my biggest frustration with the software is the eleasing formatting. If you have a document with tagged information boxes, if you enter in one wrong piece of information instead of being able to edit just that one box, you have to cancel the whole document and start over. That's rather a pain. So I've...

Hi Marianne, Thank you for taking the time to leave a thoughtful review. We appreciate your feedback and will share it with our Product team. Best, Liz Gill Customer Marketing

If you manage rental property, you need this software!

We would say our who leasing process has been streamlined by using Buildium. Prospective tenants can apply on-line, sign a lease on-line and pay their monthly rent and fees on-line. All in one place. Since we manage at least 3 separate multi-family properties at any one time, it has saved us time, as now all communications are in one software program, rather than having separate accounts/e-mails, etc. for each property.

Pros

We own and manage our own rental properties. We have been in the business for at least 35 years. We have used other means of tracking our rentals, but this one by far is the best. We love the fact that our residents can pay their rent and fees on-line, via the tenant portal, which means fewer trips to the bank. They also may submit maintenance issues and ask questions. We can send out announcements...

Cons

There is a learning curve during the initial setup and getting used to all the features, but we feel it has been well worth it in the long run.

Great product for property management

Buildium has been great for property management. Online applications/background checks, epay, and the resident portal have proven to be daily uses in our business. 10 out of 10 would recommend.

Pros

epay. It's worth it for that. To be able to get paid online seemlessly is great. Communication being automated around payment is wonderful, too -- specifically, the lease ledger, automating late fees, and payment reminders.

Cons

We list properties for rent that do not have bed/baths on them - specifically, RV pad sites and commercial lots. Buildium does not allow us to list properties without the bed/bath requirement. This becomes confusing to prospective tenants when these listings are on our website and published elsewhere.

Easy to use becoming more Robust

Been using Buildium for about 6 years. We have been able to manage properties much more effeciently and thoroughly. Tenants now are more interactive and easier to recieve payments and get work orders done, so much less deferred maintenance. The software is intuitive and pretty easy to use. When we have needed Customer support there has typically been a live person that is very helpful.

Pros

The software is pretty easy to use, intuitive. Buildium does not really encourage integration with other Apps easily.

Cons

That Tenants can't do Independent Home inspections. OR that We can't tie another software into Buildium easily to allow us to customize a few things.

Overall a Quality Property Management Software Platform

Overall Buildium is a really good platform to use especially if you want things to be automatically done or updated. I like that customize dashboard that lets you know when leases are expiring and need to be renewed. They also allow you to auto list properties for rent. This is extremely helpful for us. One down side of this platform is the inability to send debts to collection like other platforms have. Overall, I would recommend Buildium as long as they were made aware of the extra charges and services they continue to try and promote to tenants.

Pros

The thing I like the post is that it automatically applies late fees to accounts. It also auto notifies tenants once they make a payment on their account. I like that you can email every tenant using one email instead of trying to email them individually. The site is very user friendly with a customizable dashboard to help you get a quick snap shot of your rentals.

Cons

I don't like some of the auto emails that get sent to tenants to help sell some of the products Buildium is promoting. For instance, they want all tenants to have insurance and will continually email them to get them to purchase insurance that Buildium gets a cut of. They also are encouraging tenants to set up ACH payments, which if you don't have the top account level, charges the owner to use the service. I feel like Buildium continues to try and do add ons from both the tenants and the owners which is frustrating considering the amount of money we pay for the software.

Will never use another program

Buildium had always been the go to for me. It's user friendly for staff and extremely user friendly for my residents and older residents that aren't as technologically inclined. Anyone can use it. And when my older residents are confused they can call the hotline and get customer services from the team rather than calling is office during off hpurs.

Pros

The ease of importing all of our data and getting everything set up specifically for our hoa property. Everything we needed and none of the rental stuff we didn't. The team assisting us in seeing up the system has been incredible.

Cons

There is nothing I dislike. I would love to have the ability to shower multiple chargers on statements for dues and assessment and have those both track. But the team has shown me a way we can do that until the update team has created that ability.

Definitely Worth a Try

Overall, I think Buildium is a good company and I think they are struggling with the fast growth process, as many companies do. The cost of their program is less than Appfolio and the folks that work for them are better at helping out with issues. I found Appfolio's phone support to be mostly snarky know-it-alls and patronizing 20-somethings with an attitude who seemed to be bothered by my questions . Buildium support has never come across that way.

Pros

The set up process and assistance in doing it was quite seamless. The ongoing support is there if you need it and the tutorials, although not great or always up to date, do help you figure things out without having to call in.

Cons

The close-out of a tenant can be awkward and not intuitive. The return of security deposits with interest and charging of fees is clunky. Also, when a lease runs out, the system doesn't roll them over to month-to-month. It simply just closes out the lease on line and makes it look like the tenant doesn't live there anymore or owe any rent. This is both frustrating and stressful because if a tenant owes money and decides not to declare that, they could potentially get away without paying rent. There needs to be a change in the rollover of the leases in the system so we don't miss collecting rent.

Best accounting program for rental property income and expenditure

With Buildium, all my income and expenditure information, receipts and invoices plus lease agreements etc are all stored in the one place. At tax time, printing out reports for my tax agent is simple and quick.

Pros

Easy to use and can cope with multiple properties. Reports can be generated for variations in financial year reporting of different counties. You can set up recurring bills so they appear on your list of things to do which reminds you and you don't have to re-enter all the data each time you have a bill to pay.

Cons

This is an American based program and for American users, it offers the ability to pay bills direct from your bank account etc. For me in Australia, this facility is unavailable.

Property Management Software - works very well for non accounting backgrounds

Automation is HUGE! online payment is HUGE! It's connecting my tenant/client requests with my staff and subsequently my vendors - less mess to sort through!

Pros

I don't have to have a degree in accounting, between features, FAQ's and support, I've always been able to resolve issues. Love that it streamlines my processes into one central place and that I have a good overall place for myself, my assistant, my clients and tenants to look at things. Love online payments and ability to pay out to owners and vendors online as well! Software has fantastic capability to shift easily with the changing needs of business (growth or even if we were to pull back a bit - affordable and seamless transition!)

Cons

The vendor/owner portals are difficult and messy. Also, my vendors can see ALL work orders, not just their own for a property they have access to. They have to go under maintenance just to find work orders (not intuitive). Would be awesome if they could just reply to the emails the system sends and have those replies/files be uploaded as communication on the work order. Loading pictures is ok but...

Jump on the property management software train with Buildium!!

The benefits of utilizing Buildium for home construction companies are too many to list here. From management being able to see the project all at once and not have to look in different sections. Subcontractors being able to log their hours per project tasks for easy invoicing. Owners with the ability to go on and see how the construction is going, choosing selections, and keeping in contact with management. For bookkeepers the easy integration of Xero and Quickbooks online is fantastic. If you haven't tried Buildium and are looking for a superb property management software, sign up for their free trial and take it for a test drive.

Pros

There are several items within Buildium that by far surpassed other property management companies. The ability to upload subcontractor paperwork and have all the information in one place securely online with reminders set up when expirations or missing information is needed. The ability for everyone with accounts set up to communicate, check on tasks, and proposals all in one place for easy referral....

Cons

When I first started working with Buildium I wished that there had been a step by step workflow check sheet because at times I had to go and research if I was entering the data correctly. But that was quickly solved while speaking with Buidium's excellent customer support team members. Finally, I would recommend a Buildium forum where all users can go on and if they have questions can post it to the forum as another user may have had the same problem.

Gets the Job Done; Would like more Features

Software functions well and is reliable, Customers and Clients tell us they DO NOT like the portal and don't understand reports. I have volunteered to be in a user group to develop reports but have not been contacted yet.

Pros

The software is easy to use and fairly flexible; we do use it in some ways that are not intended to address unique situations. I also like that there is a forum for user requested features where the community can "vote" on improvements.

Cons

Development of new features that are highly requested by the community could be responded to faster. There are also some requests that seem more like fixing a bug than a new feature that are ignored completely. These are things that affect our staff on a daily basis, e.g. emails that are automatically sent to customers and clients that have a link to the message thread in the portal where they can...

Great for a startup or simple management company

Again this is really simple and great for the amount of money but Id love to see more improvements more often. I enjoy using the program and do find it be most of what I need.

Pros

Love how simple this is to use! I personally didnt have a big bookkeeping/accounting background so setting up, implementing and using this was much easier than other software that is for more of an advanced user. Tenant messaging is great! Love the use of resident website.

Cons

Wish I could do more with the tenant emails, notices. I have to use a third party to get really cool looking emails/notices. You cant even really put in a image which would be helpful. Reports are customizable enough. As we are all different I would love to have more options for the reports not just on what info they show, or filter out but the actual width of columns, etc. I dont like to export to spreadsheet then edit. More ability to communicate with all parties on a work order, right now you can only update by checking tenant or owner. Would love to be able to send messages to vendors separate from tenants/owners. Also hate having to make a task then work order, it should really be just a work order. Then you can create a task for other things.

Hi Jenna, Thanks so much for taking the time to leave us a review! We've noted your feedback on emails, reports, and work order communications, and will be passing them along to the appropriate product teams. Thanks again for the review! Best, The Buildium Team

best software

I absolutely love buildium

Pros

easy to setup/use It cuts my job in half always adding more features online portal

Cons

I went from using quickbooks to buildium. The products are night and day. Buildium definetly offers way more. The only issue I have is with the accounting side. I wish it had the capability to track expenses by apartment so I could keep track of renovation costs. You can't customize the reports as much as I would like. QuickBooks had a great feature so you could track and reconcile your loan payments.

Hi Nicole, Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review! We're so happy that Buildium has been able to help save you time. I'll pass your feedback on tracking expenses by apartment over to our product team. Thanks again! The Buildium Team

Buildium Builds Confidence in Our Owners and Tenants

I have come to rely on Buildium always being there when I need to enter information into the system or to generate a report or look up a transaction. I can't remember ever having a time when the system was down or not available. Not having to worry about this gives me peace of mind, and in a sometimes hectic environment, this is important. Buildium is dependable.

Pros

I use Buildium daily and rely on it to enter information that will be used to generate monthly and annual reports. The finished product is easy to read and looks very professional. Our owners know they are in good hands when they can easily see where there money is spent and feel confident that we are protecting their investment. For our tenants, they really like being able to pay their rent on line, saving them time and money. If I have an issue that needs to be resolved, I know I can count on Buildium's customer service department to answer my questions quickly and accurately.

Cons

I understand how this software works now because I have been using it for the past several years, however, there was a little bit of a learning curve. Because I know the limitations of Buildium and how to get around them, there is less and less that I don't like about the software.

Diane, Thank you so much for taking the time to leave this review. We know what a tough job property management can be, and we're so happy that we can help bring you peace-of-mind! We appreciate you as a loyal customer! Best, The Buildium Team