Buildium Reviews

1.9K

Rating criteria

• Likelihood to recommend8.74/10

Reviews by rating

Buildium has great people backing it up. Everyone I have spoken to from implementation to customer service requests has been very knowledgeable and helpful.
Our clients like the reports better than a previous software we used. Customer service and online help are outstanding.
Overall, this is an excellent product at a great value. Customer support is very responsive.
I have a problem with one tenant payment and I didn’t pay for their support, so that made it more difficult.
Then my tenants started complaining because they could not pay via the site!!! Ugghhhh!!!! Plus, there is no way to see who had been emailed, what has been collected, etc.
I would be worried about the level of service if even the sales people don’t call you back when you are a prospective client.

1,950 reviews

Keenan C.

Accountant

The Best PM Software Solution

Transcript

Keenan C.: Hi. My name is Keenan, and I'm an operations manager, and I would give Buildium a five out...

PS

Peter S.

Principal

Real Estate, self-employed

Highly reccomend Buildium

Transcript

Peter: Hi, I'm Peter. I'm a principal with my real estate company. I give Buildium a four out of five...

Erin V.

Construction, 11-50 employees

Jump on the property management software train with Buildium!!

The benefits of utilizing Buildium for home construction companies are too many to list here. From management being able to see the project all at once and not have to look in different sections. Subcontractors being able to log their hours per project tasks for easy invoicing. Owners with the ability to go on and see how the construction is going, choosing selections, and keeping in contact with management. For bookkeepers the easy integration of Xero and Quickbooks online is fantastic. If you haven't tried Buildium and are looking for a superb property management software, sign up for their free trial and take it for a test drive.

Pros

There are several items within Buildium that by far surpassed other property management companies. The ability to upload subcontractor paperwork and have all the information in one place securely online with reminders set up when expirations or missing information is needed. The ability for everyone with accounts set up to communicate, check on tasks, and proposals all in one place for easy referral....

Cons

When I first started working with Buildium I wished that there had been a step by step workflow check sheet because at times I had to go and research if I was entering the data correctly. But that was quickly solved while speaking with Buidium's excellent customer support team members. Finally, I would recommend a Buildium forum where all users can go on and if they have questions can post it to the forum as another user may have had the same problem.

NG

Natalie G.

Organizational Time-Saver

Helps keep track and I can quickly pull up info for a tenant and generate them an invoice, etc.

Pros

I really find the dashboard so helpful and interface is easy to navigate. It has a way to keep all tenants organized every across various properties.

Cons

I am still figuring out all of the features and how it can be used to it’s full capacity.

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review, Natalie! It's lovely to hear that Buildium is helping you keep things organized across your portfolio. If you haven't already, the next time you sign in to your Buildium account, try navigating to Help & Support > Buildium Academy. You can check out our series of video lessons on many of the features and functions Buildium has to offer and how to use them. Cheers! Charlie

Real Estate, 1-10 employees

Not designed for commercial property Management. very complicated

We entered one property in it with extreme difficulty. Decided not enter any more. For any property the underwriter needs 10 days to make decision and that’s unnecessary. Asking question on the list of owners and who owns at what percent Is not what a software company should know or care.

Pros

There is a training, there is a live customer support although there Is not much help they can offer.

Cons

Extremely complicated to use, or work with. Needs substantial training. There is underwriter which will ask extremely personal questions, more than what your State or IRS will ask (seriously). Definitely not made for commercial property management.

Thanks for your review. Just for clarification, the fields for ownership percentages is optional, but if filled in it simply helps make owner disbursements easier, dividing them up as per the percentages entered. I hope that clears things up! - Charlie

SS

Scott S.

Commercial Real Estate, 1-10 employees

Buildium just fits

The software is easily adopted and their training and support is top notch. Support responds within a few hours to next day.

Pros

The software is user friendly. Typically there is more than one way to get what you need to do and enter data.

Cons

Sometimes hard to figure out exactly how to make a change and send new leases.

Thanks for your review, Scott! We're glad you've had great experiences with training and the support team. - Charlie W

JB

Jacqueline B.

Accountants perspective using Buildium

Overall I enjoy using Buildium on a daily basis and find the functions are intuitive, reporting is clear and easy to export to other programs. There are still other Buildium features we have yet to incorporate and look forward to discovering how they may benefit my workflow.

Pros

Clear general ledger and billing features, utilizing tenant payment portal made rent processing much easier, bank reconciliation process is efficient, software was overall easy to learn and use,

Cons

Tenant integration presented some challenges but the overall efficiency gained in processing rent payments was worth the time investment, prepayments can be tricky to master at first

Garet T.

New to the Biz

We are very pleased with the company and intend to use more of their partners as we grow and require additional add-ons. We have received prompt responses and dealt with very courteous account managers.

Pros

We are newer to property management and ecstatic to have already landed our first 20 doors and HOA. Buildium allows us to communicate easily with one another, our tenants and the owners. We are looking forward to growing within the platform because it has so much to offer.

Cons

Because we do more than property management - our accounting ends up in two places because we need to use QuickBooks. It would be ideal if there were a proper integration. However, the accounting function for anyone who only handles management is AWESOME.

Thanks for your review, and welcome to the property management industry! We're thrilled you've chosen Buildium to help you manage your first properties. - Charlie

WS

William S.

Great PM Software

Pros

Buildium is very intuitive to use and set up. All the features you wou

Cons

Accounting could use some refining and I would love to see more features on the app.

Hi William, thanks for taking the time to write a review. Ease-of-use is one of our goals, so it's great to see we're succeeding for you. If you haven't already, pay a visit to the Help & Support menu in your Buildium account, and select "Suggest a feature." You can submit the features you're looking for with regard to accounting refinements, and app features. - Charlie

JM

Janie M.

Airlines/Aviation, 1-10 employees

Buildium

So far we have had much success with the Buildium system. We are very happy with it.

Pros

I like that it keeps up with everything that is expiring - all the rent - the late fees - it's great!

Cons

I would like more room to send out notices to tenants.

Thanks for your review, Janie! I'm glad we help you keep up with all the things that can fall by the wayside if left unchecked. Did you know we have an announcements feature that allows you to send notifications to your tenants via text, email, and resident center? That might help cover what you're looking for. Feel free to reach out to customer care to learn more. - Charlie

PC

Pat C.

Commercial Real Estate, 1-10 employees

Easy to Use, Effective Property Management Tool

Extremely helpful daily tool.

Pros

Incredibly easy to use. Learned this on the fly in a day. Much better than prior software.

Cons

Work order creation on mobile app is a bit cumbersome, but not bad by any means.

AC

Amy C.

Investment Management, 1-10 employees

Property Management review

Good and id we need help there is always someone to help us. Thank you

Pros

It is easy to use and allows us to download everything that we need on the program.

Cons

Learning the new system was hard but now that we have learned it, it is Easy.

Thanks for your review, Amy! We love hearing that you can easily get assistance from our support team! - Charlie

MW

Melinda W.

Great Property Management software

Overall I am pleased with this product. The more I work with it the more I find I am able to do.

Pros

This software allows me to communicate efficiently with tenants and owners and to find information quickly when needed. I also love that it is always adding new features and updating existing.

Cons

I would like to be able to text owners the way that I can tenants. I would also like to be able to do the owner PM agreements as well. Sometimes I need to add an addendum so it would be nice to be able to add documents to be signed as needed.

Hi Melinda! Thank you for your honest feedback. Texting rental owners, collecting digital signatures for other documents, and mid-lease document signing are all things our developers are looking into. You can add your voice to the chorus of people who have requested these features by clicking "Suggest a feature" in the Help & Support menu in your Buildium account. From there, you can search for features you're looking for and add your vote to them. If the feature you're looking for hasn't already been suggested, you can submit it and other Buildium users can add their vote to it. In the meantime, stay tuned as updates to these services and more are launched! - Charlie W

DR

Donald R.

Buildium is Fantastic

Buildium has given us the tools to streamline our processes and make daily tasks easy. The online software makes it accessible no matter where the staff are located so that work orders, rent input, communications, etc. can be handled in real-time and on the spot. Everything from leases to lease renewals, maintenance requests to inspections are all in one spot, easily accessible. No more paper files to thumb through. The administration of property management has never been such a breeze.

Pros

As an accountant, the accounting features are awesome. Online payments make tracking incoming rents easier since there is less leg work. You can setup priorities on how payments are applied. The program is easy to use and to navigate. Buildium provides tutorials that are great training tools for new and even experienced users. Buildium was easy to setup and integrate into our company.

Cons

I have yet to find any complaints with Buildium's program. There are continuing to improve and add features on a quarterly basis. There were no issues switching to this software from our previous system.

PJ

Pamela J.

Real Estate, 1-10 employees

Buildium is a game changer

This has been an excellent experience, from set up to daily work. The few times I have gotten stuck and not been able to figure it out on my own, I have always received the BEST Customer Service, every single time. Pleasant, accurate, immediate help and a solution to my problem with one phone call. It is astonishing in this day and age. Thank you!!!

Pros

I have been in the Property Management field for over 30 years and started with a DOS based accounting program for our rentals. When it became too outdated to use anymore, my Broker dragged me, kicking and screaming, into the new age of online property management programs. After trying a few of them and being terribly discouraged and disappointed, I found Buildium and have not looked back since....

Cons

The ONLY complaint I have about Buildium is that my ESCROW account balances, which are the tenant's money being held in trust, only show the Property Owner names on my reports.

Thank you so much for your review, Pamela! It's always great to hear success stories like yours. - Charlie W.

NH

Nancy H.

Gets the Job Done; Would like more Features

Software functions well and is reliable, Customers and Clients tell us they DO NOT like the portal and don't understand reports. I have volunteered to be in a user group to develop reports but have not been contacted yet.

Pros

The software is easy to use and fairly flexible; we do use it in some ways that are not intended to address unique situations. I also like that there is a forum for user requested features where the community can "vote" on improvements.

Cons

Development of new features that are highly requested by the community could be responded to faster. There are also some requests that seem more like fixing a bug than a new feature that are ignored completely. These are things that affect our staff on a daily basis, e.g. emails that are automatically sent to customers and clients that have a link to the message thread in the portal where they can...

DP

Diane P.

Buildium Builds Confidence in Our Owners and Tenants

I have come to rely on Buildium always being there when I need to enter information into the system or to generate a report or look up a transaction. I can't remember ever having a time when the system was down or not available. Not having to worry about this gives me peace of mind, and in a sometimes hectic environment, this is important. Buildium is dependable.

Pros

I use Buildium daily and rely on it to enter information that will be used to generate monthly and annual reports. The finished product is easy to read and looks very professional. Our owners know they are in good hands when they can easily see where there money is spent and feel confident that we are protecting their investment. For our tenants, they really like being able to pay their rent on line, saving them time and money. If I have an issue that needs to be resolved, I know I can count on Buildium's customer service department to answer my questions quickly and accurately.

Cons

I understand how this software works now because I have been using it for the past several years, however, there was a little bit of a learning curve. Because I know the limitations of Buildium and how to get around them, there is less and less that I don't like about the software.

Diane, Thank you so much for taking the time to leave this review. We know what a tough job property management can be, and we're so happy that we can help bring you peace-of-mind! We appreciate you as a loyal customer! Best, The Buildium Team

Rick B.

We deferred the decision to adopt Buildium for 10 years too long

Our biggest challenge was gathering all of our data as it was stored in numerous systems. Buildium's deployment staff was excellent in helping us to get off the ground. We were live within 30 days of starting and have continued to add functionality throughout the year.

Pros

We have been live for just over a year now. We use the applications, electronic rent collection (epay), accounting, Resident Center, and task tracking (maintenance) features of Buildium. Their automation has saved us so much time and money.

Cons

Wishlist rather than cons as the system is very good: 1) multiple applications would be good based on the type of property rather than being limited to just 1 application, 2) the ability to move a tenant out and move a new tenant in on the same day, 3) better tenant communications (emailing and messaging) above and beyond what is built-in, we adopted Follow-up Boss for this, 4) API should be open to Zapier

AO

ANGELA O.

User Reveiw

I have found that this product has helped me keep accurate ledgers, and ensure that my accounts are current in real life as well.

Pros

I find this software to be very user friendly. I had little to no experience when I was first introduced to this product and found it very easy to navigate. Their training videos have been helpful in learning the software as well.

Cons

One of the things I have noticed with this software is that you have to individually mark for an email receipt to be sent. I feel like there should be an option to automatically send the receipt upon payment acceptance. I often times forget to hit this button for those that want the email receipt. If I could assign this function for all transactions when setting up the unit it would make things much easier. I feel like this software would benefit from a little extra space to add in LIHTC information to individual units.

Hi Angela, Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review! You can set up automatic payment receipts by navigating to Settings > Application Settings, then click Residents. From there, scroll to the Payment Receipts section and select to automatically send receipts. Thanks again for leaving your feedback! Best, The Buildium Team

WW

Weston W.

Real Estate, 1-10 employees

Buildium is Awesome.... The mobile app is TRASH!!

My overall experience with Buildium has been great. Great features, and makes my life way easier. If they mobile app gets a major update I will love it even more.

Pros

I love many features about this program. I am an owner/operator of my properties, so I do not manage other units just my own. I love that I can collect money online and no longer have to go door to door to collect. I love that people can pay advance rent when they want and Buildium will track it for me. I love the mass amount of reports that I can run and look at. I love the accounting and Banking. It's very nice to keep track of all the incoming and out going money and make it match 100% to my bank account. It's also extremely nice to pay some of my vendors through ACH straight from Buildium. I also love the eSign for a lease. I love the paperless.

Cons

The worst part of Buildium is the mobile app. It's complete trash. The world is very fast paced and everything can be done on a smart phone. I'm also tired of being told that I can open Safari on my iPhone and do the same thing. Well F that. I want to use an app that is formatted correctly so I don't have to zoom in and out to click stuff. I would love to be able to scan an Invoice/receipt of a bill and add it as a document from my iPhone. I want to be able to view a full rental application from my phone. I want to be able to do everything on the mobile app as I can on the desktop. I also want to be able to send multiple eSign documents and not just one per unit.

Hi Weston, Thanks for your honest review. I'm glad you're loving the ePay functionality. I'm sorry that the mobile app isn't quite what you're looking for. I recommend submitting your feedback through UserVoice, which you can access by selecting "Suggest a feature" in your Help & Support menu. - Charlie W

bF

betsy F.

Real Estate, 1-10 employees

With just a few tweaks.. this would be an amazing piece of software.

Good - pretty responsive to every annoying call I make and I tend to be somewhat tenacious. thanks!

Pros

Tenant tracking, tenant ledger, and reporting of tenant payments. The tenant log on ease and the on line payment process. So for managing tenants - awesome! The features for managing the vendors for repairs - awesome! Love the bulk charges feature.. well designed and functional!

Cons

Some of the interface features.. like when entering a charge.. I always have to scroll to save it... little annoyance.. but why? .. Tighten the window. Allow tabbing and the enter key to move through the screen. I don't want to touch my mouse! The big frustration is that I can't write a tenant security deposit refund check to multiple tenants - it is by law that all tenants be on the refund check...

MM

Marianne M.

Nonprofit Organization Management, 11-50 employees

Mostly Happy with Our Choice to use Buildium

It has been a good change for our business from where we were a year ago -- still tracking rental information in excel spreadsheets. I am the one who uses it daily, but the others in the business that need to pull information from time to time find it easy to use and that it has the reports they are looking to find. It definitely has helped us save time on some things. However, some of the shortcomings described in my explanation of things least liked add back time. I'm hoping in participating in this and voicing my feedback to the reps that I'll see my suggestions used to improve things in the future.

Pros

I had used the software at another company and thought it would work well at my current job. I really appreciated the customer service from my past experience. I have had only one less than favorable experience with the customer service received in my years of using Buildium. I like how easy it is for our tenants to use and navigate. It has encouraged most of them to pay online which is a huge time saver for me.

Cons

Since we do commercial leasing and not residential, there are some misses in my opinion. I'd say my biggest frustration with the software is the eleasing formatting. If you have a document with tagged information boxes, if you enter in one wrong piece of information instead of being able to edit just that one box, you have to cancel the whole document and start over. That's rather a pain. So I've...

Hi Marianne, Thank you for taking the time to leave a thoughtful review. We appreciate your feedback and will share it with our Product team. Best, Liz Gill Customer Marketing

MD

Monique D.

The Cadillac of HOA/Condo/Property Management

I have searched far and wide and Buildium is the best available for HOA/property management. I use it for all my monthly paying accounts, and find that the professional statements which are easily generated make managing the finances uncomplicated. Overall, Buildium is super customer friendly and has always met my expectations in the five years that I have been with them.

Pros

This software is mandatory if you have monthly payments for properties. It accepts EFT/Debit/Credit Cards and has a very user friendly approach to keeping financial records on individual homeowners in perfect shape. They also allow easy access for homeowners to both their own account and payments, and to governing documents, minutes, etc at any time. Imputing the payments and checks etc is easy...

Cons

The non-bending method of making payments - where they require the vendor to log in and invoice directly vs just allowing me to make quick payments to say the lawn guy or other vendors who wouldn't know a computer if it smacked them in the face. I do not use this portion of the software. I have also asked them repeatedly to sell a 'lite' version of the subscription. One where they charge less for seasonal payments. I have several HOAs that only pay once a year, and can't use Buildium because it is cost prohibitive to have an account open for 12 months that only has one payment per year. They need to have a Florida/AZ/Seasonal version at a lower rate that has limited payments.

Hi Monique, Thank you so much for your review! We're so thrilled we've been able to help meet a lot of your management needs over the past 5 years. We've made a note of your feedback regarding vendor payments and Buildium "Lite", and will pass it along to our product team! Best, The Buildium Team

PS

Priya S.

Accounting, 1-10 employees

Buildium Review

So far the integration has been great. We have not yet got any product update reports on the above mentioned issues.

Pros

Easy to use Quick and easy integration Great back up team Customer support is very effective Great functionality Effective and accurate financial reporting

Cons

HST Representation on the owner/tenant ledger is incorrect. We needed a work around which is not the most efficient way. The auto calculation of HST on charges is not available. Buildium understands the liability account charges on tenant/owner ledger as the liability to the respective owner/tenant. It could be a liability to government too like in the case of HST. The rent roll and recurring charges list in tenant lease section should provide per sq ft rates for rental properties. The automatic bank reconciliation has not worked at all as it was advertised during the sales calls.

Hi Priya, We love hearing how much you like working with our customer care team! We recently introduced tax calculation for management fees, but we'd love to hear more about taxes for resident charges. Please use the "Suggest a feature" option in the Help & Support menu in your Buildium account to let us know more about what you're looking for. For auto reconciliation, please reach out to customer care and provide them with more details. - Charlie W.

KH

Karen H.

Nonprofit Organization Management, self-employed

Best investment of our HOA

Bookkeeping and reports are easy to enter and pull. Reconciliations are flawless. When I figured out that we could save documents/invoices by entering all outgoing payments as bills first, it was GREAT! The approval process is really good for checks and balances in our management of the community. One of the issues that I believe will be solved in the next 10 years is that some of our most elderly...

Pros

Buildium has been great for our resident managed HOA. We did a thorough vetting job in choosing our management software, and it has lived up to what we hoped for. The books are right there, and we can allow anyone to see all that is going on at any time. Board members and volunteers have different levels of access, and that has made it easy for reporting. Resident portals are great, and the communication is easy.

Cons

Size of documents/invoices you can is smaller than needed, so I often have to split documents into parts which is annoying. The email took doesn't allow cut and paste of a pdf into the body of text. I always have to send our newsletter as an attachment. Sometimes q & a does not answer my questions for simple things -- such as, I misspelled the name of a new owner, and it took me 30 minutes to figure out how to correct, because there was no answer provided in q & a. My biggest "complaint" would be that this is rental focused in some regard, and we have no tenants. We only have owners, and residents sometimes tell us they are confused by the things that say "tenants" or refer to rentals.

BH

Brett H.

Real Estate, 1-10 employees

small owner owned property management company

My overall experience has been great with one exception. SUPPORT. support has been exceptional when it comes to the usage of the software but when it comes to the syndication part it is subpar have had several cases open with no response or answer for days or even weeks. Right now I have a case open for more than 20 days that the person has yet to get back with me.

Pros

I like the fact you can attach documents to just about every transaction, property, lease, tenant, and so fourth. I wish you could attach multiple documents to each. I like the automatic banking and online payment option. It reduces the time I have to make entries manually. I like the syndication option and wish it would push to even more websites. I like the tenant portal and the ability for tenants to log maintenance requests. I like the communication function. It allows easy documentation of all of my communication between me and my tenant. Basically all the features that allow automation and give me the ability to minimize my time managing the properties.

Cons

I don't like the fact that if a payment is rejected the software doesn't automatically go back and apply the late fee base on the rules setup. I don't like that some transactions can only have one attachment. I don't like the fact that you can't setup recurring general ledger transactions. I don't like the fact that you can't text multiple numbers at once. I absolutely hate the format of the excel reports. It would be great if the reports could combine both properties and company as well.

Hi Brett, Thank you for your honest review! We're sorry you've haven't had a great experience regarding syndication. A team lead from our support team will be reaching out to you to discuss your experience with syndication further. Best, The Buildium Team

AP

Andy P.

Real Estate, 11-50 employees

Nearly a decade of use... but losing the love.

I love the product and how it works. I can even deal with the occasional slow server days. I am finding though that support and communication coming from Buildium has been declining over the years. Without the great service that we used to enjoy, I find myself thinking more about price shopping. There are other good software options, what we were in love with was Buildium's great support.

Pros

Developed specifically for my industry and ability for tenants to pay rent & view ledger online. I like that software updates are typically helpful with increased automation and improved end-to-end workflow.

Cons

Support has increasingly become distant and vague. 6+ years ago I could call or email and contact someone who I could show the problem I was having. They would be able to update meperididicaly or I could just look up that task and see the update. Now they've removed any user ability to be involved with / or ability to check on issues. Beyond that it has taken 2+ reports of the problem to get a response...and...