Stessa Logo

Smart accounting software for landlords.

Stessa Reviews

Suggested alternatives

entrata
innago
rent-manager

This was easy to address with the software and when I asked for help on the "help me" message board, I got a complete, useful answer the next day.
I think this is the best thing out there. Everything about Stessa is top notch from the product itself to the customer service.
It makes me a little bit nervous connecting my financial institutions to the website in light of all the hacking going on these days.
As a single-entry accounting system, it comes with all the drawbacks associated with that method of accounting (no cross-checking, greater potential for error, no tracking of real accounts, etc.).

KD

Karl D.

Owner - Landlord

Best software for the price of FREE

Transcript

Karl D.: My name's Karl. I'm a real estate investor. I use Stessa for my expenses and accounting for...

Rick K.

Owner

Construction, 1-10 employees

Stessa is Quicken for Real Estate

Transcript

Rick K.: Hi, I'm Rick. I own a construction company, and I give Stessa five stars. For more reviews like...

Patrick P.

Real Estate, self-employed

Two thumbs up for Stessa: What-gets-tracked-gets-improved made easy.

Awesome. Well worth the time inputting​ the data.

Pros

Ease of use: It works the way it should. Automation: Once set up, the transactions of the download from owner each owner portal (when you own several properties), and bank accounts. User experience is similar to mint.com. Visibility: it creates a consolidated dashboard for the portfolio, and derivative clean graphs, giving perspective and showing trends. Amazing Customer support: hats-off to the reps, who have answered 10+ "hard questions". I only ask "hard questions" since the FAQ is also excellent. - Insightful newsletter.

Cons

No Cons per se. Just two humble recommendations. Users of Stessa would benefit tremendously if it: - it offered a function for marketing the property (i.e. find tenants or buyers). Stessa being a repository of information (location, yr built, sq footage, pictures), a few clicks should allow spreading​ the good news throughout the specialized sites (Craigslist Zillow, Trulia, Redfin, local websites...) - kept historical records of the tenant roll. Currently, it only offers a picture at the present time.

Real Estate, 1-10 employees

Accounting and financial reports with a click

Pros

Very useful software specifically developed for real estate managers, makes accounting smooth and efficient by pulling bank transactions and creating ongoing graphs and reports

Cons

For my specific situation, there’s an issue with repeatedly having to refresh the bank connection but that’s because my bank is not as sophisticated as other mainstream banks that are better supported by the protocol that imports the transactions

Morgan H.

The links NEVER work

Worst Experience ever.

Pros

It was great at first until their customer service is the absolute worst and my link has not worked for 5 months and they just keep telling me sorry. They even told me if it does somehow work again, I will have to manually enter in EVEYTHING! It has been a nightmare.

Cons

Their customer service. Every time I received a response, it was very general and never helpful.

MC

Mario C.

Great Software for Real Estate

Excellent Software

Pros

Easy of use fantastic GUI.Dashboard has all the necessary basic information

Cons

The Connection with YODLEE is not good and needs tweaking.Different log in credentials still bring the bank institutions to the wrong log in.

Janea B.

Used monthly for 1-2 years

Perfect for Investors just getting started

I just bought my second property. I’ve been tracking transactions on my first property for about a year and half now with Stessa. I’m in the process of setting up my second investment property now. It’s super easy for a beginner. The last thing I need to be worrying about is how to navigate accounting software. I need one place to store and track all the transactions on my real estate property. I know I can access them anytime and run a quick report for my accountant at the end of the year. It’s su0per easy to use this platform as a way to analyze whether or not a property is profitable by running a quick report. Looking forward to growing with Stessa as I add more properties to my portfolio!

Pros

This is super easy to use and set up. The software walks you through property set up one question at a time. You don’t have to know a lot about accounting or accounting software, but it is evident the software is setting up a structure for you to monitor and track the transactions of your real estate investment(s) and be able to pull financial reports at the end of the year for your accountant. I use it once a month. It takes me less than 5 minutes to enter the transactions and I’m done!

Cons

There are no options for assigning HOA fees in the “money going out” category. I lump them under the Management fees section. It would be nice to be able to categorize HOA fees in their own world.

Cami B.

Real Estate, 1-10 employees

A must have software program for Landlords

Overall, I can not imagine my life without Stessa now. My partner and I currently have 9 rental properties with a goal to grow to 15 properties in the next year.

Pros

Stessa software is the easiest program to manage my rental properties I love that once I set up a property profile and connect my bank account that manages that specific property, Stessa automatically uploads my transactions and sends me a notice to review transactions. Then monthly I get an update about whether I had positive cash flow. I love this program and can easily move between seeing all of my properties collectively or individually if I need to drill down even deeper. This program is a no brainer for anyone owning or managing multiple properties.

Cons

This was a little confusing setting up the initial property details, but once I got used to where things were in the program and how to add the information it was alot more friendly for me.

New Free Tier is Insulting and A Joke... Horrible Decision

Pros

I used to love Stessa.. And the new Pro features would be great - if they didn't charge $20 per month and downgrade the features of the Free tier...Extremely disappointed in Stessa whom I've been with for years. Will be switching as soon as I decide who the best free option is

Cons

Horrible value at the new Pro Tier.. And the Free features have been stripped to basically not helpful. Very disappointed

Bob S.

Beware- unresponsive customer service

Pros

Data tracking, ability to compare statistics and metrics

Cons

I initially liked the app, but now the company has gone completely unresponsive- my money is locked in n account which they deleted. I received emails with links to add information, then links said information was already received. I cannot even get a person to call me after weeks of effort via email and online submission. It’s as if my money is held hostage. I spent so much time setting this up, and they have proven to care nothing about me as a customer and now I’ve wasted countless hours. Steer clear of this app, as I now will.

WP

William P.

Property Management Software

Holistic view of the property valuation and cash flow. Tracking expenses and providing required profit and loss for accounting.

Pros

Quick and ease setup. Interface is designed for property managers - provides accounting and bookkeeping using the terms familiar to property managers and owners. Easy to track the expenses and capture everything for expense allocation and audits.

Cons

A few additional features requested: - historical view of the property instead of just point in time - enable leveraging for audits if needed - enable capturing receipt before the transaction comes through the CC to Stessa - store the image until matching available - integration w/ OWA from RentManager

Nicholas G.

Real Estate, self-employed

Great service that continues to improve

Fantastic! They have been responsive and very helpful with every question I've had. Highly recommend to everyone!

Pros

Easily track and update my rental portfolio. They help me track expenses and made tax time a breeze

Cons

New product that is still missing some features. Have to jump through some hoops to account for sold properties.

KD

Karl D.

Best software for the price of FREE

Pros

This is just a really well thought out application that allows you to track every and all expenses for the property. It can assign tags to all expenses to track them for each unit.

Cons

I really wish they would offer lease management in a way where you can create and edit the leases on the app and tenants can esign the leases.

HF

Heidi F.

Buyer Beware

Pros

Cons

I’ve been using Stessa to manage my rental properties for a year and a half. Recently discovered that hundreds of receipts are missing. Stessa is unable to assist; Offers no resolve. They also recommend that you check every receipt every month. It is not a reliable product.

AH

Aaron H.

Why do everything twices

None.....I think it needs to be redesigned.

Pros

I like the interface, very easy to use. The reporting is nice.

Cons

It lacks so many features that you need as a property manager. You have to connect it to bank and credit card accounts to get it to work. So if you have petty cash accounts or anytime up manual transactions that are paid from specific accounts it won't work. Its transaction base which is fine, and you can associate a transaction with a property but you can't associate a transaction with an account,...

RR

Rocky R.

Real Estate, 1-10 employees

Pros

Stessa is easy to use and keeps me organized. At tax time I am not scrambling to get information to my accountant.

Cons

No cons, I love this software and it allow me to focus on my business

KF

KENDRICK F.

Real Estate, 1-10 employees

Just what the doctor ordered. No-one is doing this!

My overall experience with Stessa has been great. There is nothing like this anywhere that focuses on Real Estate Investors. This is definitely an untouched niche. I have already shared with my real estate investor associates.

Pros

1. Having everything update directly from the source saves me alot of time. I previously spent countless hours updating spreadsheets. Now I have time to drill down on property managers, analyze expenses and make decisions. 2. Can provide key performance indicators used to provide a high-level overview of the state of the business

Cons

1. Investors are not starting from scratch. Need a way to input previous year's earnings. 2. This is more gear to cash-flow. Would like to show the effects of flippers.

JB

June B.

Great product

Excellent

Pros

Ease of use. And great for tracking expenses.

Cons

Would like to be able to download more credit cards.

BC

Bryan C.

Public Safety, self-employed

Incredible value

Stessa makes tracking all aspects of owning rentals easy. Incredible

Pros

This platform nails real estate management basics and is ever evolving to include new useful features like tad preparation documents.

Cons

No cons! Great team and product! Continual development of new features. The dev team is open to customer requests and acts on feedback.

JC

Jason C.

Great looking tool

I'm pretty satisfied with it. How can you complain about something with no cost to it?

Pros

It's pretty simple to use. If you can't see what to do, there isn't much to search around for to figure it out.

Cons

The upload CSV feature doesn't make any sense. It needs more columns, that way I don't have to go and massage every upload to get the item into its proper subcategory. Interestingly though when you download the CSV, all the columns are there.

HO

Heather O.

Real Estate, 1-10 employees

Best income property software on the market!

I submitted the 2018 reports to our accountant and he loved them. So much easier than the Excel spreadsheet and shoebox of receipts!

Pros

This software is easy to use and comprehensively tracks everything related to our rental properties. I especially love that each property is tracked separately and together in various reports.

Cons

It would be nice if a Rent Roll report was available, by property and by portfolio.

DH

Deanna H.

Huge TIMESAVER!!

Positive, I have already recommended it to my colleagues. Customer Service getting back to me so quick. So I didn’t get overly frustrated and give up.

Pros

The customer service! [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] always got back to me within 24 hours. Great n very patient w all my questions. Didn’t make me feel dumb. Taxes will be much easier this year. You’ve given my accountant hope and his sanity back, lol. Love the reports the app gives you from transactions info!!

Cons

Wish the transactions could show on my laptop. It would be much easier for setting up reports. With my vision getting worse as I get older, it’s hard to read the numbers. I have to enlarge the numbers to read it. A lot of scrolling.

JS

JEFFERY S.

Excellent Product and Customer Support

Pros

This free software from Stessa works wonderfully for tracking expenses. When I had an issue, it was resolved immediately so customer service is top notch as well. Will definitely recommend Stessa to other investors.

Cons

There is no app for Stessa which makes it difficult to manage on the go.

MH

Miguel H M.

Used monthly for 2+ years

The easys way for handling my rental apartments

i came from a excell table , the experience with with stessa have been great in many ways, 2-3 hours a month. I only have 2 apartments , but now i planning to buy another.

Pros

The easy of easy and the tax packages is increible

Cons

Sometime i need to check the same expenses several time before came on automatic

PB

Patrick B.

Real Estate, self-employed

Stessa for the small business

Pros

The value you get out of the free version is immense. I have eliminated 4 or 5 spreadsheets with stessa. Would recommend 10/10

Cons

They are still working through some features that currently need a work around

Scott S.

Amazing Dashboard and Accounting Software for Investors

Stessa is allowing me to stay on top of my rental property business by seeing the numbers in a intuitive way. It makes my life easier and also excites me to see all the properties performance.

Pros

The dashboard allows me to quickly see my equity, cashflow, vacancy, debt, expenses etc for all my portfolios. Great software! I also am excited to have my accounting integrated all in one place.

Cons

Things that I know the Stessa developers are working on: Android App, Email Receipt functionality and other features. I think this product will just get better and better!

Luciano A.

Insurance, self-employed

Very happy with it

Pros

Keeps all info in one place and easier to use and track than excel

Cons

Takes time to initially enter all data but worth it after you do it