Stessa Logo

Stessa

Smart accounting software for landlords.

Stessa Reviews

User ratings

4.8

• Likelihood to recommend9.61/10

See full reviews by rating

This was easy to address with the software and when I asked for help on the "help me" message board, I got a complete, useful answer the next day.
I'm probably their biggest fan though I'm a small time investor. It is literally the single best accounting app I've ever used and better then working with a CPA or accountant.
As a single-entry accounting system, it comes with all the drawbacks associated with that method of accounting (no cross-checking, greater potential for error, no tracking of real accounts, etc.).

Rick K.

Owner

Construction, 1-10 employees

Stessa is Quicken for Real Estate

Transcript

Rick K.: Hi, I'm Rick. I own a construction company, and I give Stessa five stars. For more reviews like...

JD

John D.

Structural Engineer

Civil Engineering, 10,001+ employees

Property Management App for Free

Transcript

John: Hey, this is John. I am a structural engineer and landlord. I give Stessa a five star review. For...

JB

June B.

Excellent Software and App

Easy and less time consuming than any I've tried yet. Also, when you ask a question, you get a quick answer from someone who has developed the software. Great customer support.

Pros

It is so easy to use. I tried many others and deleted them all within hours. Been using Stessa now for a few weeks. Like the ease of downloading transactions automatically, like the reports and it's very easy to back up. Also the ease of downloading receipts is a big help.

Cons

I would like to be able to back up the receipts too when backing up the transactions.

KF

KENDRICK F.

Real Estate, 1-10 employees

Just what the doctor ordered. No-one is doing this!

My overall experience with Stessa has been great. There is nothing like this anywhere that focuses on Real Estate Investors. This is definitely an untouched niche. I have already shared with my real estate investor associates.

Pros

1. Having everything update directly from the source saves me alot of time. I previously spent countless hours updating spreadsheets. Now I have time to drill down on property managers, analyze expenses and make decisions. 2. Can provide key performance indicators used to provide a high-level overview of the state of the business

Cons

1. Investors are not starting from scratch. Need a way to input previous year's earnings. 2. This is more gear to cash-flow. Would like to show the effects of flippers.

JK

Jonathan K.

Real Estate, 1-10 employees

This software made us grow our business

This software has changed my business. I have started 5 other business with it and they all love it. Best thing I have ever used. It has been a year that we have been using it and it still blows my mind every time we use it.

Pros

I love how all our property and tenant data is located in one place for all the team to see. It keeps track of our money in and out and lets us know what we are spending on each property. Helps us as armature's understand real estate a lot better since we can always see the numbers

Cons

I wish the reporting could be customizable and the only reason I say this is because I would like more simple reports.

LN

Lucas N.

Real Estate, self-employed

Makes my life so much easier!

Pros

The easy expense and income tracking and that it's linked directly to our bank accounts.

Cons

Mileage and depreciation tracking would be nice but not necessary. CPA's do that.

Thank you so much Lucas! We do offer mileage tracking and one-click reports to make depreciation easy for your CPA; feel free to reach out to Support for help with this.

WP

William P.

Property Management Software

Holistic view of the property valuation and cash flow. Tracking expenses and providing required profit and loss for accounting.

Pros

Quick and ease setup. Interface is designed for property managers - provides accounting and bookkeeping using the terms familiar to property managers and owners. Easy to track the expenses and capture everything for expense allocation and audits.

Cons

A few additional features requested: - historical view of the property instead of just point in time - enable leveraging for audits if needed - enable capturing receipt before the transaction comes through the CC to Stessa - store the image until matching available - integration w/ OWA from RentManager

Nicholas G.

Real Estate, self-employed

Great service that continues to improve

Fantastic! They have been responsive and very helpful with every question I've had. Highly recommend to everyone!

Pros

Easily track and update my rental portfolio. They help me track expenses and made tax time a breeze

Cons

New product that is still missing some features. Have to jump through some hoops to account for sold properties.

MB

Michael B.

Biotechnology, 501-1,000 employees

Infinite ROI

Eliminates the need for having a checking account for each investment

Pros

Fantastically organizes and maintains the ledgers on each of your RE investments. It's Quicken for real estate investors. Eliminates the need for having a checking account for each investment. At tax time, Stessa provides invaluable year-end reports. The ideal location to store relevant lease information - including a digital copy of the lease, move-in/out date, name of tenant, rent, market rent, etc...AND it's free!

Cons

Would like the ability to link outside banking accounts to get a better estimate of net worth. There's really nothing about the software that I dislike

NG

Nicole G.

Stellar Platform with Amazing Customer Service and Great Regular Content

Phenomenal. I've working in management consulting implementing technology systems for years and know what a pain it can be to transition data to a new system - and this experience has been nothing short of awesome. I am thrilled not to be using my Excel pivot table reports or having to manipulate Xero, Wave, QBO, Netsuite, etc. to fit my needs as a real estate investor. Really, incredible strategic move on Stessa's part and we are thrilled end-users.

Pros

Ease of use, integration with current banking systems, and focus on real estate investors. I was planning to drastically manipulate Quickbooks to make it work like Stessa - Stessa basically eliminated all of that work AND has a gorgeous user interface compared to QBO or my rigid Excel sheets!

Cons

Some features are still in the works (e.g. they just implemented new functionality to demonstrate sale proceeds from a flip, and are working to integrate to reporting) - but that's it. Really, it is INCREDIBLY simple to use, and any time I've had a question I've gotten a detailed answer within 24 hours.

BC

Bryan C.

Public Safety, self-employed

Incredible value

Stessa makes tracking all aspects of owning rentals easy. Incredible

Pros

This platform nails real estate management basics and is ever evolving to include new useful features like tad preparation documents.

Cons

No cons! Great team and product! Continual development of new features. The dev team is open to customer requests and acts on feedback.

GW

Gwynne W.

Real Estate, self-employed

Best rental management program I’ve found

I have looked for over 10 years for a program that would work for my husband and I to manage our own rental properties. We now own 15 long term and short term rentals and as much as I wanted to replace our customized excel spreadsheet, it still worked best for our needs after trying other programs specifically for investment properties or general accounting. I always gave up because it just didn’t...

Pros

Ease of use, categories, seamless and it just works effortlessly

Cons

At the moment any slight potential tweak I find it seems the staff quickly tries to resolve and fix so that it works even better

JS

John S.

Machinery, 201-500 employees

Amazing Tracking and Reporting

I just started using it today so I haven't yet reaped the full rewards.

Pros

What I like most is the ability to track everything in a neat and professional looking software that automatically creates reports and tax prep documents. I had been keeping all of my records in a spreadsheet which made it very manual. This software has a lot of automated features that save a lot of time.

Cons

It makes me a little bit nervous connecting my financial institutions to the website in light of all the hacking going on these days. However, it's what allows a lot of the automation and I'm putting my trust in Stessa to keep myinformation safe.

JC

Jason C.

Great looking tool

I'm pretty satisfied with it. How can you complain about something with no cost to it?

Pros

It's pretty simple to use. If you can't see what to do, there isn't much to search around for to figure it out.

Cons

The upload CSV feature doesn't make any sense. It needs more columns, that way I don't have to go and massage every upload to get the item into its proper subcategory. Interestingly though when you download the CSV, all the columns are there.

Derrick D.

Investment Management, 1-10 employees

Great financial software tool for investors

Positive experience to track trends and help with forecasting for portfolio

Pros

- Ease of use for product - Visualization of overall portfolio - Reports especially schedule of RE

Cons

- no integration with Buildium - no double entry accounting system

HO

Heather O.

Real Estate, 1-10 employees

Best income property software on the market!

I submitted the 2018 reports to our accountant and he loved them. So much easier than the Excel spreadsheet and shoebox of receipts!

Pros

This software is easy to use and comprehensively tracks everything related to our rental properties. I especially love that each property is tracked separately and together in various reports.

Cons

It would be nice if a Rent Roll report was available, by property and by portfolio.

GC

Glenn C.

Real Estate, 1-10 employees

Now and invaluable tool for my real estate investing business

Pros

First of all, it's free to use, and by inputting all your property data it gives you a number of different metrics and can sync transactions with your back account. I can also invite other investors and partners to view certain properties, which makes my reporting requirements a lot more seamless.

Cons

Only con for me is that I can't get the mobile app in Canada.

DK

David K.

Very nice platform

Really like it. I had built my own excel sheets but this combines all properties together which is really nice for broad view of my portfolio.

Pros

Ease of use. I was able to link my bank accounts and it sends all the transactions through which I can then categorize. Also nice that they have a phone app so I can quickly categorize items on the go. They are also very responsive with any questions and helped me retroactively add my own excel sheets to capture the full year

Cons

There is a little bit of front end work but that’s going to be the case no matter what... I would like to program certain monthly items to auto categorize which I think is an option but have not looked into as of yet.

RT

Roger T.

Making life easier

Stessa has made the monitoring and managing of my multi-family rentals very easy. It gives you a nice snapshot of your properties performance at any time.

Pros

The software allows me to easily manage my multi-family rentals. Transactions can be automated and or easily entered manually.

Cons

I do not have any cons at the moment with this software.

DH

Deanna H.

Huge TIMESAVER!!

Positive, I have already recommended it to my colleagues. Customer Service getting back to me so quick. So I didn’t get overly frustrated and give up.

Pros

The customer service! [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] always got back to me within 24 hours. Great n very patient w all my questions. Didn’t make me feel dumb. Taxes will be much easier this year. You’ve given my accountant hope and his sanity back, lol. Love the reports the app gives you from transactions info!!

Cons

Wish the transactions could show on my laptop. It would be much easier for setting up reports. With my vision getting worse as I get older, it’s hard to read the numbers. I have to enlarge the numbers to read it. A lot of scrolling.

JS

JEFFERY S.

Excellent Product and Customer Support

Pros

This free software from Stessa works wonderfully for tracking expenses. When I had an issue, it was resolved immediately so customer service is top notch as well. Will definitely recommend Stessa to other investors.

Cons

There is no app for Stessa which makes it difficult to manage on the go.

MS

Michael S.

Real Estate, 1-10 employees

Great solution to start with, added benefits keep growing

Enables a snapshot view of the performance of my company that I didn't have in one place. Free solution and it's getting better every week.

Pros

It allowed me to get out of Excel manual entries for multiple properties for transaction reporting. The dashboards and added functionality such as better reporting, blogs, and downloads are a great plus. Owners respond directly to your questions. Great work!

Cons

I joined 2H of last year and the backlogged entries only went back a couple weeks (at the time). I had to manually enter all 1H transactions, which wasn't too bad. If I started near the beginning of the year it wouldn't have been an issue.

MH

Miguel H M.

Used monthly for 2+ years

The easys way for handling my rental apartments

i came from a excell table , the experience with with stessa have been great in many ways, 2-3 hours a month. I only have 2 apartments , but now i planning to buy another.

Pros

The easy of easy and the tax packages is increible

Cons

Sometime i need to check the same expenses several time before came on automatic

PB

Patrick B.

Real Estate, self-employed

Stessa for the small business

Pros

The value you get out of the free version is immense. I have eliminated 4 or 5 spreadsheets with stessa. Would recommend 10/10

Cons

They are still working through some features that currently need a work around

NA

Nancy A.

Design, self-employed

Nope. Not gonna do it.

See above

Pros

None- I never got that far. Maybe it's good, but I won't give out sensitive into to a stranger

Cons

As a landlord with multiple properties, I thought this might be a handy tool, so I began the sign up process. Until they asked for my banking info. What?? What do they need that for? Not happening. I'm out.

Hi Nancy - Linking a bank account to Stessa is safe and completely optional, and this is clearly explained during the sign up process. While secure bank connections are the most seamless way to automatically track rental property income and expenses, Stessa also allows users to create transactions manually or via data file uploads. For users who do choose to link accounts, Stessa uses technology similar to sites such as Mint and Personal Capital to link up with thousands of US based banks and credit unions. In any event, we're sorry to hear that Stessa isn't for you and wish you luck finding an alternative that meets your needs.

CS

Collin S.

Used monthly for less than 6 months

So far so good!

Just like the title suggests - so far so good. The customer support has been surprisingly quick and helpful. I had a few questions about future iterations and CSR was very quick to get back to me confirming that several suggestions would be available on the next release.

Pros

I am relatively new to using this tool and I appreciate the visibility that this tool offers me for my rental property(s) to look at different performance metrics. It kind of reminds me a hybrid of Mint and Personal Capital for Rental Properties. I see the potential of this tool platform and look forward to seeing where it goes!

Cons

I like how this tool allows for me to export different financial reports for different time periods, I just wish that it would give me all of the details of the summary data in the spreadsheet? Also, the data exported is appears to be just text data? If I want to modify any of the tables, I can't because there are no formulas?

DM

Dan M.

Real Estate, 1-10 employees

Best free real estate landlord software

This software allows you to move from amateur to professional overnight.

Pros

Cash flow tracking Balance sheet Document storage and retrieval Dashboard of KPIs

Cons

Not much, they are always added new features