Google Data Studio

Interactive dashboard reporting and data visualization tool

Google Data Studio Reviews

Pros

What I most liked about this tool is that it makes so easy and secure to share reports with people in my organization (we have G-Suite accounts).

ROMARIO G.

What I like most about this program is its ease of use, as well as its speed of access and usefulness.

Mateo M.

Cons

The more complicated your queries are, the more you will dislike this tool.

The only downside for me was that it does not integrate with many other projects yet.

Joost K.

I was not a fan of the additional charges for data connecters. Data from large social media sites or professional websites is often stuck behind a paywall, which is a bit aggravating.

Timmy T.

Data Studio

Transcript

Sejal S.: Hi, my name is Sejal and I'm a software engineer intern. I would give Google Data Studio a...

Start using DS, you'll love it

Amazing. Couldn't be better!

Pros

I love Google Data Studio... it's quite hard to select one feature, cause all the program is great, from the easy to use tables, the charts tables, graphics, the custimizable layout, the connection with your database...

Cons

Sometimes it gets a little bit slow and the tables or charts bugs... but it's understandable

Powerful, amazing reports of my web applications and websites, for my customers!

Absolutely amazing. It's like I have landed on Mars! I have discovered so many cool features and things I could offer my client "at a cost", for "no cost on me".

Pros

This software can link up with your Google Analytics account and retrieve data from there. So instead of using the slopping reporting function inside Google Analytics, you can make use of the power offered by Google Data Studio. It can make simple, but sophisticated table-based data using columns (or calculated columns), to present your data in many ways. OR, you can choose to use one of the many...

Cons

User identifyiable information cannot be reported when linking up with Google Analytics. This includes things like email address.

A viable option for business intelligence automation when your software budget is near zero

Overall, after coming to terms with the constraints of DS as a business intelligence automation tool we were a le to design great products for our teams that wouldn't have been possible otherwise. Being able to automate analysis because of the ubiquity of Google sheets connectors made this an incredible free option for a non profit organization.

Pros

It seems that every third party SaaS that collects data online has native synchronization support for Google sheets. And this is how Google Data Studio makes itself the best option for non profits and small businesses in need of automated business intelligence. On top of the plug'n'play integration experience, data studio has a unique approach to interactive chart and dashboard design that lets you position elements as if you were working in Adobe Photoshop. You can add shapes, layer elements on top of each other, add text or objects anywhere. This means you can produce the most beautiful and intuitive dashboards and reports ever (or the least if you're more of a Picasso).

Cons

It really is the poor man's business intelligence automation tool. Some key setbacks for data scientists is that data studio can only do 1 type of join/blend (outter left) and when using blended data to create calculated fields it really feel more like art than science, and not always working out. There is also no way to create unions across all data sources or make a file directory a data source. All this means that you really need to do a lot of data prep in Google sheets and find a way to do some automatic data blending in Google sheets as well in some cases. This will keep the complexity of your needs in Data Studio minimal, which seems to work best.

User Friendly Data Dashboards

A big fan! It's missing a few features, and I've noticed a few bugs here and there. But all the bugs I've ran into have been manageable with easy workarounds. But this is a FREE platform and it have more key features than a majority of these paid data platforms.

Pros

Extremely user friendly. Setting up the dashboards was simple. You have control over almost every detail, including the layout and design. This is unlike many data platforms I've used in the past. ALMOST everything is totally customizable. This brings in all your Google/Youtube data automatically (including Google Sheets/docs). It also lets your bring in images, links, and other assets. You can change the data range filter easily for all metrics. The dashboard also is easily shareable to all team members and you can export the dashboard to a PDF.

Cons

The connectivity to other platforms is disappointing. In order to automatically bring in your social media data or data from other sources (such as digital advertising or 1st party ecommerce data) you need to purchase a "connector". However, there are ways around this if you export your data from your other sources and just put this in a Google Sheet and connect that sheet to your Google Data Studio.

Powerful reporting tool in the right hands.

Seeing many data sources in a single view with multiple date ranges and comparisons.

Pros

I would recommend every business used this, from small to large. The ability to combine and view google analytics, google ads and search console data is fantastic and gives you great insights into your business performance. There are also lots of templates available online to get you started for no cost.

Cons

The customisation has to come from someone with a fair bit of knowledge of the product when sharing with others. In the majority of times people will have to only have a view of the report and they won't really be able to amend or see other data within it. It is also a little slow when doing lots of data and changing the views.

So simple and easy to use compared to other data visualization softwares!

Overall it's made it much easier to build robust, flexible marketing dashboards and then share them with my team. It's also helped to extract data from Ad platforms at a level of granularity that wasn't available within the ad platform itself.

Pros

I love how easy it is to put the data points into different graphs and visualizations. The UI is typical of Google. Super intuitive and user-friendly and most aspects of the product behave exactly as a user would expect (which isn't the case in my experience for softwares like Tableau). Ease of use is by far what makes Google Data Studio stand out among the crowd.

Cons

Can be hard to integrate data with certain platforms if they aren't Google owned platforms. There's also minor functionality gaps around not having all of the relevant google ads dimensions and labels accessible within data studio.

Build web dashboards and interfaces for internal or external use with professionalism and ease.

Making a dashboard for our team to use internally was so fun and intuitive, we developed a customer-facing dashboard that allows users to make exciting visualizations of their data. This has led to a broader "understanding," as well as more engagement in this project from users and developers alike.

Pros

I loved the fact that there are templates for interactive web page dashboards that help shortcut visualizations and common display formats for data. Other websites either lock you into a boring template or expect users/devs to reinvent the wheel. This allowed me to build momentum quickly.

BEST Data Visualization Tool

Data Studio is an incredible tool! It is intuitive to use and I prefer it to other data visualization software on the market.

Pros

Data Studio integrates seamlessly into the Google App Suite which happen to integrate with most platforms itself.

Cons

A lot of the data connection functionality comes from apps that have premium features that you have to pay for.

Data Studio is awesome

Data Studio is an awesome tool to visualize your data We can get easy and reliable insights quickly on the Big data that we currently have in BigQuery We are able to make insightful decisions based on data because of Data Studio

Pros

Ability to integrate with Big Query Different charts that are available ability to customize based on dates

Cons

Not user friendly initially has a learning curve to get used to all the awesome features

A great solution for non-essential dashboarding solutions

We loved using it for some reasons, we hated to leave (as we had to do a lot of work all over again). But we are happy we pushed through.

Pros

1) Simple to use It is easy to use. Drag & drop, add texts, connect sources, ... It all works like a charm. 2) Free It is free to use. Connect your account and you're good to go. The downside: you're on your own... 3) Visual freedom As opposed to other solutions we (currently) use, Google offers by far more flexibility in terms of creating something that is visually exactly what you want.

Cons

1) What security? We used google data studio to embed dashboards in our own SAAS solution. As embedding only works with 'open access' documents, it means that you open up your dashboard to the world (provided they know the URL). It is not the security we like. 2) Lack of roadmap impact & customer support As one of the many free users, we have no impact on how the product evolves over time. Customer support is a matter of googling your way around and finding a community response rather than an official spokes persons' help. 3) Speed... Or the opposite rather: slooooowness No matter how happy we are about Google's Cloud Platform solution, Data studio is sloooow.

Easiest way to Data Visualization

Looking at data on a day to day or weekly basis has become easier as looking at a graph is much easier than looking at numbers

Pros

The initial set-up is very easy Easy to use templates Very straight forward New features coming in monthly Can use calculated fields and items

Cons

There are some minor tweaks like adjusting data label position which isn't available Can't use the studio with big datasets on Google sheet Is slow when there are lot of responsive graphs

Google Data Studio: Pretty Awesome

This for me is a phenomenal product. Since I have found this, I've introduced it to multiple people at work. This has been very helpful in depicting data in a simple and easy way to variety of audiences. I wish they advertised it better.

Pros

1. It is free 2. It connects to your Google account 3. It can connect to a whole variety of data sources, I have been using several Google spreadsheets 4. The ease of inserting a table, a graph, scorecard, heatmap etc 5. It is visually pleasing 6. It can serve as a live dashboard with custom and malleable date ranges 7. It allows you to easily switch around different chart versions 8. You can embed a Google spreadsheet! and scroll through the live Data Studio file! 9. All sorts of sharing settings 10. Can also download as a static PDF file 11. They have a basic training online, and there is a world of articles and youtube videos to help you 12. You can create new fields, rename them etc

Cons

1. You have to link by tab for each spreadsheet, which is tedious. It would be nice to be able to link multiple tabs and spreadsheets at once. 2. There is no option for an automatic refresh if there is a change in the base file -- you have to go to View and hit refresh (not intuitive either). 3. The legend text often gets hidden and is not easy to resize and move around. 4. I couldn't find any option for inserting headers or page numbers automatically.

A Great Free Alternative for Smaller Scale Data

Google Data Studio is great for what I use it for. I would not use it - nor recommend it - for large-scale data projects or projects that require large amounts of data processing. But, for basic dashboards and presentations, it works great.

Pros

Google Data Studio is an excellent (and free!) alternative to software like Power BI or Tableau when the datasets you are using are smaller in size and the analysis needed is more presentation-based than behind the scenes number crunching. It's a fast way to put together a visually appealing dashboard without a lot of the 'frills' of the bigger players like Power BI.

Cons

CSV import is limited to 100mb, which has been an issue in some of the datasets I have used (also why I noted Data Studio is for smaller datasets). This is a nit-picky one, but there is no word cloud functionality, which I really wish they would add.

At a glance

Google Data Studio allows us to view a large amount of data and statistics of different meaning and keep an eye on the movements of our competition

Pros

Google Data Studio is the tool that we have used for years to be able to implement statistics monitoring, audience analysis and keep an eye on the latest news from our competition or the latest news on topics of interest to us

Cons

The tables require continuous maintenance to avoid failures that cause loss of information that is often related to the payments of the platform

Free BI Tool with a learning curve

It met me needs for a sales and marketing dashboard without having to spend hundreds of dollars.

Pros

It's free. It's Goolge so you know that it will evolve. It allows you to combined data sources for charts and graphs. One you understand how to use the tool it is fairly intuitive.

Cons

Lack of supporting materials or tutorials.

Fantastic free data visualisation tool

Great free data visualization tool. Fantastic for automating all advertising reports.

Pros

You can integrate it with most advertising platforms (e.g. Google Ads, LinkedIn Ads, Facebook, etc) and create dashboards which update automatically.

Cons

Sometimes the bar charts do not scale correctly. Integrations are free with other Google products however you need to buy third party data connectors to integrate with other advertising platforms. Not as advanced as Tableau.

The best tool to perform bigdata

We found Data Studio by chance, looking for a way to generate reports and analysis of our data. As we used it, we became aware of the great potential it has and the ease of filtering by almost any data we ask for. It is a very interesting and powerful tool which allowed us to save work in developing something similar within our system.

Pros

Incredible tool to be able to analyze all the information of the company, very understandable and easy to use, with the option of being able to connect different data media, whether they are databases or static files. The interface is highly readable and allows you to share it through permissions, which facilitates security.

Cons

It has a learning curve that is necessary to understand in order to use it correctly. Once that is over the program works very well

Great Place for Reports

Pros

I like the ease of use of their APIs to connect multiple sources of data together. We use this in conjunction with Funnel.io and we get all our data in one place to make monthly reports.

Cons

Sometimes it takes FOREVER for data to load. As well, to make reports look pretty they use a weird grid system to align things but it's rarely accurate so you might have some graphs that aren't aligned by a pixel or two.

Analytics Anywhere and Everywhere

AMAZING. Providing accurate, up to date information to the client has been beneficial for the company.

Pros

I absolutely love how much you can customize the dashboards and present the most crucial data to relay back to the customer. We use this for our Ads customers and can honestly say that we have had a lot of positive things come from the dashboard and analytics that can be provided.

Cons

Honestly, nothing. I am not an administrator so it's hard for me to know what could be done different with this; but I do know that our director loves using this.

Perfect for a ad hoc analysis

Pros

It has built in integrations for every Google product, so when Data Studio came out it enabled us to deprecate another tool and helped us to keep it simple.

Cons

It's not so straightforward to do some specific analysis, setting filters for example. The tool is limited for more complex analysis.

Simplified Microsoft BI

Its ok, i use it daily to view search engine marketing performance, can create a really detailed report compared to Google Ads custom report, faster too.

Pros

- Quick and Dirty, Easy to use (only learn from intro creation youtube and learn on the go) - Data report can be easily created matching with company branding - can connect with any data source - fast, is a google web app - easy to share - its free

Cons

- web app only and must have a google account to use. - limited pivot? I can only add like 3 data pivot per page, but can you can add - read only report, unless you share access - automated data refresh interval on some data source are quite long - limited visualization, and comparisson

Pretty Good Dashboard Tool

Pros

I like that it's free and the templates available do a lot of the early set up for you. It's nice to be able to replicate these dashboards across accounts. Both for Google Ads and Analytics.

Cons

I wish that it could pull in data from more sources (i.e. Marketo, Hubspot, Sharpspring, Yelp, etc). Also, I wish there were more template options, such as templates for community management dashboard or FB/Instagram ads.

Why are you not using this?! A real data aggregation and report suite player.

We moved to Google Data Studio as a single place our team leaders go to view disparate data in real time.

Pros

The ability to create dashboard with disparate data in realtime and show them to any user for free has been huge for us.

Cons

Not all data connections are easy to create and sometimes the connections can be a little bug filled.

Great for Marketers, Hard to Learn

It is excellent to have a variety of quantifiable metrics for our website. It helps us make business decisions about projects.

Pros

Data Studio provides so many valuable metrics to a team that runs a website. We have a data studio report that is constantly updating. We had to integrate data studio in the back end of our site, but once we did that we were able to track which content does best on our site, which content gets the highest engagement, which content our users spend the most time with etc. It is so valuable.

Cons

There is a huge learning curve to this software. People on our team had to take classes in order to even get started with data studio.

Studo

Good

Pros

Make better, faster decisions with the world's #1 operational intelligence platform. Built on Druid, scales to billions of events per day. Instant. Integrated. Accessible. Easy to get started. Types: Instant Analytics, Self-Serve BI, Fast Alerts

Cons

Long process But easy to set up that was the only problems I had