Thinkific Logo
Thinkific

Create, market and sell online courses with Thinkific

visit website

Thinkific Reviews

User ratings

4.5

• Likelihood to recommend8.63/10

See full reviews by rating

Thikific is really easy to use even if you are not a technological boffin. It has great features and the support is awesome.
My experience has been fantastic to be honest and I intend to continue using it further.
I'm not tech savy so this program fit like a glove. Thank you so much for your committment to helping others by creating an incredibly user friendly and highly functional program.
But the uploading can be quite slow and my speed is 160mbps. So, I doubt it's my problem.
I have given them all of the feed back given here but they do not take any action. Waiting at least a day for an answer is totally unacceptable.
There's nothing that stands out as a real negative.

Jonathan T.

Co-Founder

E-Learning, 1-10 employees

Great for Online Courses

Transcript

Jonathan T.: I'm Jonathan. We teach personal finance online and I give Thinkific four out of five stars....

MK

Melissa K.

Associate Director of Education

Education Management, 11-50 employees

It works for us!

Transcript

Melissa: Hi, my name is Melissa and I'm an educational development lead at a nonprofit. I would give...

Pamela K.

Entertainment, self-employed

This is where I have my courses

Anytime I have a problem their tech support is great. And I haven't had any tech problems with the platform - my students are happy and use it easily.

Pros

When I was researching all the different software for course hosting, I liked that this had a place to upload documents in the discussions. That might be really important for people teaching code or other products. Then I'm glad I choose this one because others take a % of income AND you have to wait longer for money.

Cons

The layout isn't as clean and modern as others - I'm hoping that will be updated at some point. It's a little ugly.

RC

Richard C.

Architecture & Planning, self-employed

Suitable For All Levels

Thinkific has been perfect as a solution for my starting an online training product that also has spreadsheet tools included. My experience has been great. I have only once had to contact support and it turns out it was my error that was causing a visual issue, which was soon easily corrected, once I saw my error. They were quick to spot what I'd done and let me know.

Pros

That it's really comprehensive, yet still has a free to low-cost entry-level option. It's easy to use and looks visually great too with its customisable interface options. Oh and I love that you can i-frame other websites and URL's into your courses (this is great for spreadsheets and websites) - it saves a lot of time and energy, and updating! Oh, and it has / had a low payment processing fee structure.

Cons

I haven't hit any issues with it yet so to date there's nothing I don't like about it.

FA

Farah A.

E-Learning, self-employed

Good overall with critical limitations for teaching online live

Good. They have excellent customer support and they responded to me quickly even during busy times. I actually recommended them for a company that has recorded videos and could benefit from using a modern LMS to share their recorded lessons.

Pros

I think I like the idea of the software. There are alternatives. I think I picked Thinkific first because they have clear description about their software, seemed reputable and seemed like they have good customer service and responsiveness. Their website is nicely responsive for different screen sizes. Although the theme itself is limited, and you are on your own to customize it, I felt that the drag and drop choices for the editor covered everything I need.

Cons

There were critical limitations that I felt decreased the value of the software for my business. The first thing that made me feel uncomfortable is that the website you build for your business through their LMS software would publish to the public immediately as you save the changes. I look thoroughly through the website theme settings, but there was no way to keep the website as "password protected"...

SW

SherriLee W.

Marketing and Advertising, 1-10 employees

Using Thinkific has helped me grow my business!

LOVE thinkific!

Pros

It's so easy to use, has great tutorials and their support is amazing.

Cons

It's gotten more technical over the years and really now a designer is needed to create beautiful landing pages unless you have time to figure it out.

LO

Lucky O.

E-Learning, 1-10 employees

Thinkific LMS platform. An honest review

Thinkific is a great LMS with many inbuilt integrations. Even though most of the integrations are not free, they help in building a better LMS all round.

Pros

Other than being a good Learning management platform, students could upload video contents and gifs in the communities of a thinkific school. This isn't possible with other LMS I've used. I think this is a great advantage in my opinion as videos drives conversations better.

Cons

If I could upload SCORM/HTML5 contents it'll be a better product for me. Also, the course builder layouts are not as sleek as I expected in comparison to other products.

Joe G.

Financial Services, 1-10 employees

Used other for 1-2 years

The Best Online Course Creator

We started with an idea to help colleagues and turned it into a course. Thinkific allowed us to get our idea out of our heads and into reality, and a usable product people could buy & use.

Pros

Thinkific made it easy to create & host our digital course for financial advisors. With any platform there is a learning curve at the beginning. Thinkific's support team was always quick to reply and help us learn the ropes.

Cons

I don't really have any complaints. It would be nice if the WYSIWYG editor were as good as Apple Pages, and turned out prettier text layouts in the templates. But, it's good enough.

KF

Kelwin F.

Information Services, 1-10 employees

Great tool. It would be just better if you build a mobile App for students.

I'm really enjoying the experience.

Pros

Having an API that facilitates the integration with our back office.

Cons

Not having an app for the student experience.

Religious Institutions, 1-10 employees

Used monthly for 2+ years

Think About Using Thinkific

Pros

For me is it was the user friendly features of the program. I was able to train myself on the features in a few hours.

Cons

Our company has enjoyed using Thinkific and in comparison to to other programs we don't find any negative issued with Thinkific.

GR

Gavin R.

Media Production, self-employed

Used monthly for 1-2 years

Sturdy training platform

Happy, students seemed to get on wit it fine.

Pros

The way it structures lessons, with sublessons.

Cons

Fiddling to put video content in. Can be fiddly to restructure a course if adding a lesson.

TD

Thomas D.

Sports, 1-10 employees

Great product but there are cheaper options coming through.

Overall, a great experience and will continue to use it if updates are made. I've had emails from fresh learn as of late which are half the price for what seems to be the same features that Thinkific give.

Pros

I do really like Thinkific although the price seems a bit higher than some new online platforms that are coming through. I like the course layout and the amount that you can edit. It's a bit more tech-savvy than some which I don't mind. I've built fast courses with Thinkific and enjoyed being a user on a weekly basis. I do just hope that Thinkfics features get more modernised as time goes on as it can seem a little outdated at times. Just my opinion :)

Cons

It's a bit more tech-savvy than some which I don't mind, but even a tech-savvy person wouldn't mind more convenience every day. This could come from more drag and drop and more templates to use as there doesn't seem to be any help in building your courses. There may be tutorials that I haven't come across the mind. I would like to see the price drop down before I go elsewhere.

YH

Yadah H.

Used other for 6-12 months

Beautiful Course Platform for Online Education

A stunning product which I would have been happy to use (even with all the workarounds for certificates, email and quizzes). The support is quick with responses and the tutorials provided really are next-level amazing. A consistent and impressive LMS.

Pros

This is an absolutely beautiful platform. Thinkific has been in the elearning industry for years and it shows - the portal is easy to navigate and set up courses. The tutorials section is robust and detailed, giving step-by-step information on how to set up various course features and troubleshoot any issues that may come up. There is the ability to issue certificates of completion, add an assignment...

Cons

The certificates are quite basic and it's necessary to be design-savvy and tech-savvy to create a certificate which would be accepted in the upload process. The quizzes are very basic and do not support time-limits, limited retries or anything more robust than true/false or multiple choice. Should you want to integrate with a more robust quiz software, their native integrative party is quite pricey! There is no built-in email functionality aside from the notifications that can be sent to existing students. As email is becoming more popular among other learning management systems this is quite a big negative point against them. The option to whitelabel the site completely is only available on the 'Growth' plan which over and above the 'Pro' plan which is already $99.

LM

Lucas M.

Management Consulting, 1-10 employees

Thinkific Rocks!

Excellent! I appreciate the outstanding product, fair prices, ease of interface and ability to easily build and delivery QUALITY courses. I haven't required customer service (that's a good sign!). I love the product and will definitely stay here!

Pros

The intuitive nature of your interface is extremely helpful for both course designers and students. As a site and course administrator, I'm exceptionally impressed with the ease of use. Thank you for incorporating finance management functions. Sleek design, ease of use, great price point. Don't change the price, it's one of your best market differentiators. I switched to Thinkific for the Pro Growth plan which was the key difference for me from other providers like Matrix.

Cons

I really need to market courses via social media with the least number of accounts and steps. It would be awesome if you could integrate some social media marketing tools into the site rather than link accompanying providers. The more I can do WITHIN thinkific, the better. The same applies for business functions like website management, sales of non-course materials (e.g., printed books, e-books), and perhaps QuickBooks

LH

Linda H.

Nonprofit Organization Management, 1-10 employees

With Thinkific as our Platform, we have successfully launched three very different online courses.

We are at the beginning stages of offering a high quality course to students from around the world.

Pros

We researched many Platforms before choosing Thinkific. We love that Thinkific is Canadian. We love the journey that students take from first encountering the site landing page, going to the course landing page and then immersing themselves in the course. I appreciate the helpful support from the Thinkific team. They do a great job of answering our many questions. I am fortunate that Thinkific rebuilt their course editing software quite soon after we began developing our course. Their new software is quite easy to use and easy to revise. I really like their flat-rate monthly subscription fee with no hidden costs.

Cons

I wish students could purchase this course in the currency of their own country. I wish we could pay for our subscription in Canadian funds instead of American. We have had to purchase a separate Discussion Forum because their Disqus Plug In is a social media plug in that is not confidential, and their built in Discussion Forum is very awkward and poorly organized with no ability to search, edit,...

Information Technology and Services, 11-50 employees

Fills a gap in this space with enthusiasm!

Blackboard Course sites, Moodle, and Instructure Canvas are great products, but you have to invest in additional solutions to collect payments, etc. for selling the online courses. Thinkific does all this in 1 system with more options for site design than the big education players do. Some of the features could be more well-thought-out, but for a non-LMS company, it is incredibly easy to set up and allows you to design instructional sound materials.

Pros

I liked that you could design the access portal, the courses, and the payment methods all in 1 interface without any needs for additional products. I particularly enjoy how easy it is to set the courses up if you have your curriculum designed.

Cons

I wish there was an option to be able to have access to all the course features without fees. We are a startup and just are not in a position to charge for courses yet, meaning this would be a huge investment for us that we are not willing to make. It would be great if you could get a 6month burn-in period to test and market before going live.

WC

WENDY C.

Professional Training & Coaching, 1-10 employees

Affiliate is the Highlight

Overall, I would say Thinkific is a great software to showcase your courses online. The affiliate feature and membership feature are the highlights of our company's objectives for this year. We are trying to slowly move all our recorded zoom videos to upload to Thinkific. We also hope using this software would ease our students learning as well as helping our company to grow by reaching out to more people.

Pros

Just as the title has mentioned, my company came towards this software because of a recommendation by our consultant. After much difficult times to look for a proper affiliate software, we decided to opt in for Thinkific as it doesn't just serve as an E-learning platform but also provides affiliation feature for enrolled students. So far, it can create unique link for each student as a referral and we are able to set up commission percentage for them. It has cut off a lot of manual work which we were previously doing. Thus, subscribing to a Pro plan in spite of the price, it is well-worth to consider for anyone looking for affiliate feature which is this simple.

Cons

The themes available are quite limited, and I do wish Thinkific would provide more samples of website for us to refer to since not everyone is good at designing. I only manage to find a few on Google which helped a little. Sizes of the images are only limited to JPG file which I didn't know why after a constant struggle of failures to upload a PNG image. Perhaps you could label JPG file instead...

Michelle G.

Marketing and Advertising, self-employed

Outstanding course-hosting platform that makes your life easy

Overall the experience has been excellent over the past four years. I have to add that the Thinkific Helpdesk is genuinely helpful, and their response time is lightning fast. They have an option for "how urgent is your issue?" when you submit your help ticket, and if you select "urgent," they actually get back to you very quickly, as in, within a few hours. This is essential when your income comes from your course website and you need help updating or fixing something!

Pros

I love that Thinkific is comprehensive so I get to focus on content creation and student outreach. Thinkific manages the payment portal and moves students smoothly through the course experience. In a lot of ways, it's set-it-and-forget-it, meaning - once you have a course set up the way you want inside Thinkific, students move through it beautifully and all you have to worry about is getting new students!

Cons

My only suggestion for Thinkific would be to provide a few more options for testimonials layouts on the sales/landing pages. I'd like more flexibility and options to showcase or emphasize certain student experiences... but otherwise, I wouldn't change anything.

Wendy F.

Thinkific works for me!

No benefits realized yet as I just got my first course up and published. I have several courses written but finding the right software for me and my students was my Catch 22... never considered that would hold me back. I kept working on the courses... and finally, the solution was presented to me. I have tried so many different teaching platforms already and never actually published. Just wasn't confident in knowing the site well enough -- but in no time at all, I am published on Thinkific and so thrilled I made the leap. Finally! Pure FUN!

Pros

Thinkific is easy to use. Add a new Module, one click to add content, module after module. So easy! Better yet, I LIKE how it looks to the user. I LIKE how the site can look like mine -- not another platform. It does look different, but MY site name is on top, visible, so users know where they are immediately. I've tried others and never quite liked the look as I work with seniors who have retired......

Cons

I only had to ask Support one question while adding my first course. My only question was: how to add a manual student who paid me privately (or complimentary class) if they didn't purchase through Thinkific itself. I know its there, just chose to ask instead of searching! :) I didn't even use HELP pages to learn how to use it... it was pretty intuitive for me and I love that! Please don't think that means its not a fully integrated teaching service, it really is. They simply "got it" where the user (me, the instructor) and the other user (student) is concerned. Someone did the work to think about how both users will interact with the software. Kudos!

JL

Jessie L.

Health, Wellness and Fitness, self-employed

Launched my first course!

Overall I'm super happy with my experience. I've spent the last few months editing my course based on feedback from the beta and am almost done setting up my first official launch. Excited to keep growing here!

Pros

I spent last year writing my first professional training course and was looking for a platform to use for the beta run. I wanted something that could handle the multi-media aspect of the delivery of my course, but that was also easy to set up for a non-techy beginner as I didn't have an assistant to set it up for me. Thinkific fit this need perfectly.

Cons

If anything the aesthetic of the platform could be a bit better (personal preference). While it is easy to follow it's just not as sleek as I'd like. And as a non-web-designer, I'd like to be able to customize the course landing pages to fit my brand with a bit more DIY ease.

PB

Pieter B.

Health, Wellness and Fitness, self-employed

My experience with Thinkific

Pros

I like that it is simple, that they are quite transparant about their pricing and have an extensive help center. The Facebook group is also great for support. Making online courses comes with a lot of questions.

Cons

Customization of the look & feel of online courses and landing pages is limited, as if payment options. For EU customers who are not accustomed to credit card / Paypal you need to integrate Shopify. This is possible, but connecting Shopify & Thinkific is not that great. Affiliate links don't work anymore and tracking sales becomes quite a bit harder.

KC

Karen C.

Nonprofit Organization Management, 1-10 employees

Thinkific Learning Management System

Amazing! I highly recommend the software and the team. For the money, you cannot do any better!

Pros

I love the customer support and training. I was able to launch my program in two hours with no assistance. The Quick Start program is an amazing example of what we should all aspire to in our online training videos. The software is easy to navigate and has some beautiful templates to help jumpstart user progress.

Cons

I was a little limited with the amount and layout of content on the course sales pages. Wish options here were more flexible. Also, the reporting at my subscription level is a little time-consuming requiring exports to Excel to confirm actual totals each time. It's easy enough to work around, however, and I have found customer support to be exceptional at helping me with some of my more creative workarounds.

CA

Claudia A.

Marketing and Advertising, self-employed

Easy to use but not as complete as other plattforms

Pros

Thinkific is very easy to use, I upload two courses in a few hours and learn how to use it very fast.

Cons

I didn't like the courses landing pages, it would be great to have more flexibility on them.

CM

Cheryl M.

Used other for 1-2 years

Great Option

I enjoyed Thinkific and may yet return to it when my current contract is up with the LMS I moved to earlier this year. It's certainly as easy to use, and the sales page option is better designed. Everything else is about the same, but Thinkific is slightly more expensive and the pricing model is confusing.

Pros

I liked most that there was a free option to get started and that there is a front end option that shows all courses owned by an account native to the program. Thinkific is easy to use and now that it has added a community feature it's almost perfect.

Cons

At the time I switched from Thinkific, I did so to get a native community feature so my students wouldn't have to go to Facebook for community. Now that Thinkific has added it, there's only one complaint I have, and that is that I need another layer of complexity for my courses. Unfortunately, I haven't found an LMS that has that, so Thinkific is no worse in that regard than any other LMS I've explored. I do have an issue with the pricing model, which is too complex and confusing. That makes it hard to compare with other options.

Anne Z.

Thinkific is everything you need to publish online courses. There are different levels , even FREE!

It allows a person to publish an online course and customize everything, including the price you sell it for. Thinkific has everything you need to be successful. AND they offer lots of webinars and training as you need! I look forward to using it more as I grow my online publishing business!

Pros

I like that it is customizable. I like that Thinkific offers lots of webinars and help with all aspects of publishing online courses. It allows a couple ways to collect money for your courses. They spell out exactly what to do! For a newbie like me, I began setting things up months ago while I was working on my course. As I completed it, I began uploading the lectures and made some changes to my text...

Cons

As expected the free version is basic, so in order to get to some of the good stuff, you have to upgrade. Not a big deal really, since I am producing my first course and need to go slowly.

Dan W.

Marketing and Advertising, 201-500 employees

Good for small, basic needs

Value for the money, attractive front end with little effort.

Pros

The way Thinkific presents content, from landing page to course completion page, is beautiful and appealing to the user. There are ample ways to connect with the user through various integrations if desired. It's also useful that you can customize the branding and even your own site theme if you have the available resources to do so! After switching from a sub-par LMS, our users are more engaged and more excited about signing in to consume our courses.

Cons

Reporting leaves much to be desired - best count on using Zapier to pull data into a 3rd party for analyzing user progress and completion rates. It's also frustrating that I have to wait for some reports to be emailed to me after requesting them. Perhaps the most frustrating part is that the front-end is designed using Liquid, which is difficult for a novice with basic CSS / HTML knowledge to navigate in order to make small text changes across the site.

Danielle N.

Design, self-employed

Used monthly for less than 6 months

So Far So Good

I was brought on board to help manage my client's Thinkific site. I did not have previous experience with Thinkific. So far, I've been satisfied with my overall experience.

Pros

I had no experience with Thinkific prior to jumping in to help my client with her account. However, I had some experience with other landing-page builders, and it was not too difficult to get the hang of using the Thinkific Site Builder. Also, I quickly found some YouTube videos that helped me out as well. My client already had a published Thinkific site. Thinkific has the option to create an offline...

Cons

I encountered a few limitations: - The Site Builder includes about a dozen or so recognized fonts, but I did not see a way to add custom fonts. Maybe this is comes with a higher plan. - For the instructor's bio, I didn't like the default design of the "Instructors" block, so I just used a "Text & Media" block. That would have seemed fine, except the text and photo are too close together. I couldn't...