Workday Adaptive Planning Logo

Enterprise planning software for agile budgeting & reporting

Workday Adaptive Planning Reviews

4.5

Rating criteria

• Likelihood to recommend8.43/10

Reviews by rating

Suggested alternatives

netsuite
accounting-seed

Strong, secure environment - clearly developed with an appreciation of how to treat company sensitive data. Appropriate security levels are easily established and maintained.
Having never used it before, I was amazed at the ease of use. In addition to serving as a data repository for 10+ years of information, the variance analysis reporting is fantastic.
I feel the printing capabilities can be improved, along with the clarity of the printing itself. The customer service on this product is outstanding.
This lack of functionality makes our work a bit confusing sometimes.
Our adaptive administrator sometimes struggles with the data integration from netsuite in some instances.
Implementation is costly and seems cumbersome.

Brian L.

Research, 501-1,000 employees

Adaptive Planning is a Must for FP&A

Our company has used Adaptive Planning for about 2 years now. We went from a complex Excel spreadsheet based system to an organized and efficient Adaptive budgeting process. The customization and flexibility in the system is almost limitless and impressive.

Pros

Customization, flexibility, value, security

Cons

Administration - learning to build and maintain the system is complex, but that is why the system is so powerful

KL

Krystyna L.

Information Technology and Services, 1,001-5,000 employees

Adaptive Insights impresses even more than expected

Pros

Our employees were used to working with Excel spreadsheets. We considered such an approach not completely effective, so our choice turned next to Adaptive Insights. There are no restrictions on the size of the documents. This program is synchronized with other applications, including such important for us solutions like SAP and Oracle. We like the high accuracy of the reports we can create on the tool’s...

Cons

It would be better if Adaptive Insights had an opportunity to filter for specific months while working with spreadsheets. This lack of functionality makes our work a bit confusing sometimes. We wouldn’t mind adding more advanced features to the planning tools as well. We believe it would behoove this product if it had several tutorial videos on how to use it to the full extent. Even though we find this tool user-friendly, it doesn’t mean at all that it is so for every company.

LS

Lauren S.

Computer Software, 51-200 employees

Direct Integration with netsuite

Pros

- direct integration with netsuite -ease of use once established -maintains various types of data including personnel information and financial reporting

Cons

- inability to run reporting on one entity (only runs in consolidation) - inability to modify reports without creating a new report - functionality to drill into detail is hit or miss

BG

Ben G.

Consumer Goods, 51-200 employees

Great software to project us into the next level of strategic finance.

Overall, Adaptive Insights has been a great software to work with. AI has increased the FP&A departments productivity during month end close and review by multiple days.

Pros

- The software is a cloud based, so you will have access anywhere you have the internet. - No more “this worksheet is locked by another user” message. - Imports and Exports to/from excel seamlessly…for those of you that like to work out of excel. - Dashboard capabilities for more real time department metrics and visibility to spend. - Rolling forecasting capabilities that allow us as a company to focus more on the future and less on the past. - Instant Company budget/forecast results. - Audit trails…never have to worry who, what, or when someone changed a number you budgeted or forecasted. All changes will be tracked. - Company-wide visibility to Personnel and Capex planning that drives the cost of benefits, IT equipment, and supplies.

Cons

- Software enhancements are only every 4 to 5 months. - Levels (Organization Departments) can be restricting to planning across multiple departments - Noting variances in a report can be tricky at times.

EK

Evan K.

Retail, 1,001-5,000 employees

Great product for your business

I have complete control over my data using this software.

Pros

Workday makes it super easy to manage all aspects of my job from scheduling to time off and payment elections and tax withholdings anywhere at anytime.

Cons

The task workflow process seems a bit drawn out and unclear for some things. There are a lot of options that still appear even if not enabled by the administrators.

CS

Chris S.

Financial Services, 501-1,000 employees

Adaptive Planning Has Saved Us Thousands of Hours

Have been using Adaptive Planning since 2012 for two different companies. The software has steadily improved to handle most of the complexities of our business. The user interface is intuitive and the way it integrates actuals from our accounting software with various versions of forecasts and budgets is a huge timesaver. On top of that, data can be easily accessed through reports or an Office add in.

Pros

The best things about Adaptive Planning are its ability to integrate actuals and budgets/forecasts, its reporting capabilities, the fact that it's cloud based, and the ability to create complex financial models to track and report on business in a dynamic fashion.

Cons

The only issue our company has with Adaptive Planning is that our business model is very complex and hard to duplicate in the Adaptive model. That is not Adaptive's fault, but more so in the implementation and due to ever changing and more complex expectations from management.

Information Technology and Services, 5,001-10,000 employees

Best planning tool I have used!

Pros

I loved the user experience as a whole. The interface feels very modern and as easy to use.

Cons

I wish it had more functionalities to easily do project level budgeting.

Przemek P.

Information Technology and Services, 10,001+ employees

Used monthly for 2+ years

Workday for company data management

Overall I am satisfied because Workday gave me all that I wanted to have in relation to my personal data or company data. Even thought it was hard at start to navigate and find my self in the tool but after some time it is a pure pressure to work with Workday data.

Pros

We have all data related to our job in one place where we can work with them and put them to analysis.

Cons

The navigation is sometimes hard especially when the dashboard have a lot of information.

Printing, 201-500 employees

Great product!

It has simplified our work quite a bit. We are no longer dependent on our previous excel-based reporting tools. Creating and modifying reports have become a very process.

Pros

Ease of implementation and use.

Cons

Still developing some modules, need time to improve

Robert S.

Adaptive Discovery - A picture paints a thousand words!

Adaptive Discovery is changing the way we communicate finances to our leadership. They have traditionally received their monthly reports containing scads of numbers. I could see their eye's glaze over at times and they often asked, "so is this good or bad", or, how does this compare with such and such a month, or how does this number compare across the other stores? Now, they have a visual representation...

Apparel & Fashion, 10,001+ employees

Best financial tool on the market in my opinion

I use Adaptive as a replacement for excel in some aspects of my job. I mainly use it as month end communication to send out financial status reports pertaining to actuals vs budget vs forecast. Adaptive Discovery is one tool I utilize to aid in visualizing data in multiple ways through the use of graphs, gauges, pie charts, tables, and many more.

Pros

Allows so many different ways to breakdown data. Great customer support. The respond quickly and are very knowledgeable. Easy to manage users with different access levels. Adaptive is always working to enhance or update features. The platform develops continuously, which is great for the large user base. Hosts free webinars every so often. Can be accessed from anywhere as long as you have internet access.

Cons

The learning curve is steep, it takes a lot of time to really get comfortable with the platform. Not a lot of video tutorials. The terminology can be confusing sometimes. Adaptive is open to technical/programming suggestions but often take time to be enacted. You sometimes have to wait for the next release to get the issue resolved.

RG

Rob G.

Consistency and savings through use of Adaptive Planning

When I started in my role as Manager of FP&A with an agricultural inputs company, one of my first tasks was to move our planning and forecasting processes away from Excel workbooks. Trying to manage P&L's for 200+ retail locations and departments, combined with nearly 2,000 employees, during a high-growth period proved to be challenging, to say the least. Adaptive Planning has streamlined our planning...

CC

Carrie C.

Higher Education, 1,001-5,000 employees

Improved Reporting

Our Budgeting and Forecast process has significantly improved and can be identified through the additional value added to each of our departments through customized, timely, accurate and flexible reporting. Additionally our Financial Analysts (system end users) have increased their capacity to provide more in-depth timely analysis to the organization and their support department especially with the drill down capabilities and customizing reports.

Pros

The System is easy to use, developer friendly and customizable

Cons

Reporting functionality within the system could be enhanced. We currently use templates created in excel to house formating or additional formulas that are not available in Adaptive but are requried for our reporting.

SF

Steven F.

Nonprofit Organization Management, 501-1,000 employees

Adaptive Planning eval

We use Adaptive Planning as our primary Budgeting and Forecasting system. Many of the functions are intuitive, but requires some time to get comfortable with the many functions that are available. I would not recommend the native reports, as they are difficult to generate quickly and easily without formal training. But their Office Connect add on tool is a nice enhancement to have to generate more custom reporting and also provides some degree of automation once the linked cells are set up properly.

Pros

The software behaves like a specialized version of Excel, however is limited in other areas that requires data to be exported into Excel to analyze more extensively.

GC

Gino C.

Computer Software, 51-200 employees

Time Saver

Although it takes some dedicated time and experience to set this product up I would say it is the top time saving piece of software I have ever used. I was able to setup our company plan with limited assistance from Adaptive. The assistance I did receive was top notch and always available with short advance notice. I opted to use a Adaptive consultant and deal with her on the phone. The product has...

Pros

Easy to run scenarios. Copy the forecast and make changes as necessary. Reporting is a breeze and no problems to do all kinds of variance analysis.

Cons

It's complicated to get up and running. You need a dedicated resource to take the time to learn the product. I would say my biggest issue is the weak help manuals.

gp

georgeta p.

Hospital & Health Care, 1,001-5,000 employees

flow and transparency for FP&A

I've been using Adaptive since 2011, and I am fully satisfied with the Adaptive suit. Every year they are improving and developing the suit of services and product. I might be biased but the ease of use of the platform is really what's important for me. The flow and transparency of the data is equally important. I don't think I could be as good as I am when it comes to FP&A and reporting if it wasn't for using Adaptive.

Pros

everything- ease of use

Cons

none

JR

Justin R.

Outsourcing/Offshoring, 5,001-10,000 employees

Great tool for budgeting

An excellent tool for budgeting once you have put in the time to learn to use it, you always have the feeling there is more to the software than you know how to use.

Pros

It is super flexible, allowing the user to enter costs by category, department/dimension/cost centre and easily switch between views. You can write little formula to budget by run rate, uplift by a percentage or similar to prior year phasing. You just need to learn a few rules.

Cons

It does not interface well with Workday itself, there was no way I could import staff basic salary into AP from Workday by department and employee for instance.

MF

Mike F.

Education Management, 201-500 employees

Best Planning Tool Period

We chose Adaptive over competitors because it's in the cloud, it's customizable, and the price was right. It has improved every aspect of the FP&A function within our company. Our budgeting cycles are shorter, our data is more reliable, and analysis and reporting are more real time.

Pros

Easy user adoption. Customizable. Reporting is sophisticated but not complicated.

Cons

N/A

SA

Sandy A.

Insurance, 1,001-5,000 employees

Adaptive is a must-have for any FP&A department!

FP&A responsibilities - specifically budgeting and forecasting but also building out models and creating new versions for our analysts to use.

Pros

It has made our budgeting and forecasting process much better. We save so much time with our forecasts, which allow us to spend more time updating them meaningfully every month.

Cons

I would love to see Adaptive connect with Salesforce behind the scenes. At the moment we have to reconcile the variances between the two manually monthly.

AS

Alex S.

Information Technology and Services, 11-50 employees

Adaptive Planning the best FP&A platform

We implemented 20 customers using Cognos, Oracle and SAP. Adaptive was a huge discovery for us. Is an amazing solution. The best for all parties is that Adaptive is really administered for Finance people despite other software.

Pros

Ease of use. Thought from Finance to Finance people

Cons

It´s not available for on premise environments.

MR

Maria R.

501-1,000 employees

If you are looking to move away from spreadsheets and have one source for your financial data and reporting data, I highly suggest looking into Adaptive Planning.

Pros

It has all the features you would expect in your financial tool and they are constantly upgrading and adding addiitonal features. Customer support has been excellent and they actually seem to care about their customers.

Cons

Reporting functionality within the system could be enhanced. The native reporting is not that easy to use, would prefer better canned reporting functionality.

JC

Jarred C.

Architecture & Planning, 51-200 employees

Great Analytics Software

I would recommend this product hands down over the competitors.

Pros

Full-featured software with all the bells and whistles. It has unlimited flexibility in reporting and analysis options. The reporting features are extremely easy to use, and they can be customized and shared with ease.

Cons

Requires a lot of training to use, but it's worth it in the long run. The software is expensive, and it does require assistance with implementation since there is so much to do to get it up and running.

Computer Software, 201-500 employees

Adaptive Insights

I use adaptive planning for corporate budgeting and long term forecasting. It is a great tool that is very flexible. Being able to build the financial model in a collaborative, team based manner instead of in numerous different excel models is a much better process.

Pros

[1] Version comparison is easy for variance analysis [2] Adaptive office connect is a very useful excel based reporting tool [3] Flexible system based planning and scenario analysis accelerates planning cycles and reduces data integrity issues

Cons

The biggest issue that i have run into is the way actuals flow into locked plan versions. If you have a formula in a locled plan version that references actuals and you change the actuals data, then it will change you plan numbers even though the period is locked.

AD

Aaron Daniel E.

Outsourcing/Offshoring, 51-200 employees

My experience of using Workday Adaptive Planning is very good since my work is related to analyzing data's of financial planning's etc.

Pros

Workday Adaptive Planning is very convenient to use especially when it comes to financial planning solutions and enterprise planning, they really provide it.

Cons

I don't see any downside or lack of this product and that is why I rated it 10.

TB

Tim B.

Computer Software, 1,001-5,000 employees

I love using Adaptive compared to the other systems I've used

It is a great system and the company is putting a lot of work into the product.

Pros

I like how it is easy to use and that they thought of the things that we really need to do our job. It looks good and works.

Cons

They have an excel add in you can use and I love it. I allows you to use excel to pull data from the system and make your own reports. However, there are sometimes glitches so that's annoying.