Planful Reviews

MM

Mary M.

JK

Jessica K.

Cons

The inability to do calculations in the report without creating a new template. Also as we are on Macs the inability to use spotlight in Mac Excel.

Monica S.

It can be difficult to set up a report template. Not all the modules have the same reporting tools.

AM

Alan M.

BG

Bradley G.

4.3

We had a quick implementation, and find that the environment is very flexible. All end users :-)

Monthly operational reporting time reduced from 3 days to 3 hours. We built alternative hierarchies for our chart of accounts and entities, so that operations can see their relevant data in the format they prefer, whereas accounting can see it based on GAAP. Modeling transformed our budget process from Excel spreadsheets to a cloud-based solution accessible to all end users, so budget creation migrated...

Pros

There are no limits to the types and volume of data that you interface within Host Analytics, as long as you maintain a common field. Implementation went well (with a consulting partner), and it enabled our budget manager to trim his reporting time from 3 days to 3 hours. The modeling module uses an Excel add-in, so the feel and use of Excel is still available, but the results are stored centralized, so when any end user retrieves data, there is one version of the truth. Customer service is second to none. In my 30+ years in planning and analysis, I have never found a team so dedicated to ensuring their customer's success. Feature updates are either monthly or quarterly, and are focused on what the customers have expressed are their needs or wishes.

Cons

It required that we use a partner consultant to implement. This may be due mostly to the fact that as a small company, we do not have the internal IT resources; the initial implementation without a partner stalled due to resource and communication issues.

Planful: Modern FP&A Solution

My overall experience with Planful has been overwhelmingly positive. Their team is frequently engaged to ensure that we're utilizing the solution to our maximum benefit. Planful's help desk team knowledgeable and very quick and responsive addressing issues as quickly as possible.

Pros

Administering the system is very smooth and adaptable. Our prior system would take 110% of my time to keep it running and troubleshooting issues. With Planful, now that we're live and stable on the platform, it takes < 50% of my time, so I'm able to focus on other value-add activities: process improvement and automation, personal skill development and growth, and future product enhancements. Reporting is extremely user friendly both within platform and Spotlight, so users have been able to create and admin their own reports .

Cons

Loading actual wage data by employee is seems more complicated than it needs to be. Prepping the file to load this data takes ~1 hour/month when all other data load rules take < 5 minutes. We also had issues in the past with Workforce data input/locking between users, but it's been much easier for our team to use with the extensive Workforce UI redesign in 2020.

Training review

Great, easy to set up and use, flexible enough

Pros

Planful is very user friendly and it is easy to become a self-sufficient user of this application as a lot of help resources availiable for use. Searcg engine within Planful is very good as well as it makes it easy to navigate application.

Cons

I dont like that to complete certificaiton, all users have to attend real life class. Those classes are not convinient for UK users and they dont usually add much more informaiton that cannot be found in written guides.

Very slow, but highly customizable

Implemented this software solution at my office. It was less expensive than some of the other providers, and we expected the product to perform as such. There are some drawbacks to the product, but I think these are in-line with the price.

Pros

Very deep database and highly flexible integration with our disparate data feed.

Cons

Slow. A data pull is not immediate and can cause some frustration if data is not pulled 100% accurately the first time. Collaboration can also be difficult, as the individual models are fragile and must be updated online.

Great FP&A Product

We've reduced the use of excel spreadsheets for budgeting/forecasting by using this tool. It's simplified our budget and forecasting process and it keeps getting easier each year.

Pros

They listen to their customers and are always making improvements to the product. It's easy to use and they have so many resources (support chat, community, training, etc).

Cons

The support was not great when we first implemented the tool. They've come a long way and are truly supportive of all questions I have.

Solid tool that will help you manage your budget with ease!

It was rocky at first, but has been absolutely fantastic in the past 2 years. We have gone from being 10-13% under budget to about 1/2% under budget last year, and it's truly because this tool allows all of our managers to view everything with ease.

Pros

All the features we needed in one tool: Workforce planning, budgeting, forecasting, financial reporting and easy creation of management reporting.

Cons

There are several enhancements that I intend to discuss with our customer success manager BUT I have no doubt, with the release schedule Planful is on, these items will be easy to incorporate into our environment. If I had to choose one that that I least like about the software, it's simply that I would suggest that your implementation partners completely understand your structure and what any reports you need to gain/create in the software. Years ago when we implemented (which I'm sure it has improved since then) there were features and items that weren't even discussed that we discovered later.

Solid Choice

Pros

I like that most of this software is tight and reasonable in size. On the surface anything can be intimidating to a new user but we have a small team that has been able to manage this across many hospitals and types of users. We have put in a lot of work but without much IT support which makes this valuable.

Cons

Processes and building infrastructure around raw data can be tricky. We do not have a data warehouse which makes things difficult with connecting data. For me this software is a mid tier product in some ways so it seemed logical that they would realize companies may not have solid infrastructure to support fast and elaborate functions provided. In a perfect world the system could be more of a one stop shop or help get us there.

A great all round FP&A solution that is competitively priced

I honestly think it's great, particular for users whose current ERP systems are lacking in the core FP&A functionalities Planful provides. Its attractive pricing and feature rich functionality and great support make it a solid offering to prospective users.

Pros

We used Planful's Reporting and Consolidation functionality, and are current in the process of setting up Dynamic Reporting/Spotlight for the purposes of revamping an internal budgeting and forecasting process. In my opinion the best thing about the system is that once you perform the initial set up and get the hierarchies and data loads correct, it is super easy to use with minimal training required, whilst also being massively powerful and flexible. It is also very competitively priced, and the support staff and implementation consultants are excellent.

Cons

The biggest and most obvious drawback of the solution is the training materials that accompany it. Because it is a relatively new platform, there is not currently a huge amount of training resources and materials out there with which end users can learn the platform. This means there is a greater dependency on the materials Planful provide, and in my own personal opinion, the training courses do not do a great job in bringing a Planful user up to speed. Thankfully, it seems Planful is investing and promoting in a new Engage forum which will no doubt help new users of the system.

Host Analytics has decreased our dependency on excel and has allowed us to forecast concurrently.

Pros

We love the ease and flexibility of the tool. The monthly releases mean that the product is constantly making improvements. Administration of the core app and spotlight is straightforward and not time consuming. We can now complete a forecast in 4 hours versus a week+ that it look using excel.

Cons

We would love to see more data visualization features added to the core app along with a Mac compatible spotlight extension.

It's a life saver for reporting

Pros

Ease of reporting and planning. The reports are fast to make and can very easily be taught to other users. Also since it is in the cloud, there are many tiers of security features for customization.

Cons

New features and cross browser supporting don't function the best. The new row sets are difficult to get to the exact detail and adjusting cold width can't be done in a cluster in chrome.

Review of Planful

Pros

We use this software for our month-end close process to consolidate financials and publish our monthly financial package to management and other various internal/external partners. The software is easy to navigate and helps us quickly consolidate financial data for all of our entities each month.

Cons

There aren't any specific features that I dislike about the software at the moment, however the Planful support portal/team hasn't always been the most helpful when it comes to troubleshooting issues in a timely manner.

User friendly product. Great customer support

We generate our reporting package quicker and with less errors. Our planning process runs more smoothly and efficiently again with less errors. We are able to consolidate our plans quicker.

Pros

How easy it is to create basic reporting and customize and scheduled distribution. Interface that is scheduled nightly to automatically populate Host with data from our G/L. Consolidation of our plan is more efficient and timely so changes aren't such a nightmare to make.

Cons

Quarterly releases are great, but they don't give you enough time to test them before they are automatically put into production.

OVerall is a great tool for the ease of standardizing and managing our reports.

Our reporting process became easier for end users. The Support and CFL team from Host also helped us tremendously for our users from day to day basis!!

Pros

The application made reporting a piece of cake with automated distribution. The planning tool helped us standardize our budgeting process and we're very impressed with the workforce planning module that helped us easily managing our headcount and compensation estimate.

Cons

Not the most user friendly application for budgeting purpose. The access was made easy with SSO solution, but the timeout issue causing customers to complain.

High Quality Financial Reporting Platform

Used this software to simplify reporting from 8 companies with varying charts of accounts and 10,000 accounts to a single, comparable reporting structure. Greatly reduced effort and time spent on consolidating and preparing financial reports.

Pros

Dynamic reports and the ability to get the precise financial information you need, with drill down capabilities is a huge plus. Can include links to images of transaction source documents, providing great transparency in reporting. Spotlight for Excel add in to develop custom, refreshable reports is a great help. Forecasting and budgeting tools are good as well.

Cons

Learning curve of implementing a new software for financial reporting is always going to be somewhat significant, but there are several quirks in data loads and reporting cube processing that make things harder than they should be.

2+ Year User of Host Analytics EPM Platform

Pros

The ability to quickly consolidate all of our agency financials at month end and close the books in a timely manner.

Cons

I enjoy most things about this software, however I would have to say that I wish the Spotlight Excel add-in that Host offers would be directly connected to the Core Application, eliminating the need to maintain and update a separate model in excel so that they data comes through the Spotlight Excel reports accurately.

Host has helped us scale from ~200 employees to over 1k!

Pros

- Similar to Oracle Hyperion, but in the cloud - Lower overhead than on premise tools - Robust platform with more advanced feature set then other cloud tools - Solid excel integration - Product team responds to feedback - Fair pricing - No limit on size of model

Cons

- Attractiveness of user interface - Template speed - Visualizations - Speed of new development - Implementation took longer than expected

Planful great value for the money

Postive experience, good customer support after implementation

Pros

Ease of reporting, creating and distributing and ability to schedule distribution even to non users

Cons

consolidation module could be improved, tracking reconciliations etc

Positive, Discovery, Trial & Error

Pros

Centralized data storage helps ensure we have consistent reporting on a month-to-month basis. This also eliminates many minor mistakes prevalent with externally linking excel files. Customer service is phenomenal

Cons

PCR can be finnicky. Modeling occasionally freezes. Modeling and PCR needs to be in touch to ensure accurate up-to-date reporting (supposed to be coming out in an update soon)

Good planning tool that integrates well with excel

Scale for team!

Pros

We plan by detail and this tool allows us to do that. Modeling cloud is nice as it is more flexible.

Cons

This tool is good but we did a lot of customization for CAPEX, BS, cash flow forecasting which requires a lot of time.

The software was in place when I got here, so I have never had any formal education on it. Good!

Visibility to all of our entities around the world in a timely manner!

Pros

Ease of use and access! I use my mobile application and access on line from home, office, hotel and other office when traveling abroad with ease.

Cons

New account and entity set up is only somewhat intuitive. I do this so rarely, i really have to go back and read to set up new accounts and other entities.

Great for automating reporting and forecasting

Helps to avoid human error while providing a flexible platform in which to plan and report

Pros

I like that Host is on the cloud, is very customizable by letting us have numerous templates and allows for multiple users at once

Cons

The software is a bit clunky at times which can lead to it running slowly. Also there are certain nuances that you have to learn which is expected

Using Host has been much more user friendly than our previous reporting and planning software.

Pros

I like that it is user friendly, drag and drop feature makes it easy to run ad hoc reports. Love the line item detail and notes feature in the templates.

Cons

I would love to be able to use the workforce reporting to run budget vs. actual HR data. I'd also love to see a dashboard available within the next year or so.

Host took a lot of data and made it usable.

Better use of data, easier budgeting, easier financial statement processing.

Pros

Once set up, Host is easy to use. I have a large amount of product data that Host has helped me organize into something I can use in my business. I love how I can get several financial reports with the push of a button each month. It continues to make month end easier for me. Oh yeah, I use it for budgeting too. I originally got into Host for budgeting and it has been great for that, but I have found it great for many other things. I also love the way it can grow with me. As I use the software I realize there are more things I can do. Host customers for life team is always there to help me when I explore these possibilities.

Cons

It can be difficult to set up a report template. Once set it is good and there are no worries. I would like to feel like I understand how it all works better, but that is a time consuming endeavor. Thankfully there is always someone available at Host to help out.

As a first timer with any EPM system it was easy to configure and learn.

Pros

There seem to be minimal limitations as to what it can do. With coming from nothing what I appreciate most is HA's reporting capabilities.

Cons

i don't really like the set up of the new currency exchange rate page. i like to be able to seem them all as we could prior to that release.

HA is really an efficient tool which made our FP&A activities automated to certain exten

Automation , easy to use

Pros

Reusable formats in Reports makes Reporting easier and customer support responds usually in hours and makes our job more easy.

Cons

I think they should have more tutorials on their Training website.